Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Time of the Dragon IC

The rising sun gleamed over the rim of the crater, nestled within a long dormant volcano. It had been a month since the 6 young wyrmlings had been gathered together and today there was an excitement in the air. There had been rumors that today they would be given a task that would take them outside of the protective gaze of the elder dragons. The chill morning air belied the season as a thin icy layer had formed on the trees within the glade. Winter had just begun in earnest but the glade of dragons would be protected from the worst of the winter by the molten core of the volcano. It was a bit of an anomaly that the volcanoes core was hot enough to heat the glade but the volcano still lay dormant. Some of the elder dragons said that it was because of the blessing of the draconic gods. Others claimed it was the magic of dragonkind that kept the mountain at bay. Whatever it was there had been no signs that the mountain was reawakening for as long as any of their kind could remember.

The oldest of the elder dragons stepped forward, the ground shaking under his gargantuan weight.

"You have all been trained together to hone your teamwork and separately to hone your individual skill, now you will go forth as a team to serve your people. The lesser species have grown too used to not fearing us, to not respecting us. They no longer remember the might of dragonkind. That will change soon. We have been ordered by the gods to not interfere but you, our children, are under no such order. You will go out change this. There is an orb somewhere in the world. The sphere of draconic might was lost to us many millenia ago and we do not know where it has gone. This is your task. Find the orb by whatever means you see fit. There will be many trials along your path as we are sure the sphere is well hidden."
    Last edited by Virdish; 2015-10-07 at 11:14 PM.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Time of the Dragon IC

"An orb, eh?"

Igneas stretched, spreading his yet-to-develop wings as he considered the elder dragon's words. Did the other species really not have respect for them? That was almost more than the Red wyrmling could wrap his head around. To him, the elders were beings that commanded respect through their very presence.

"Wait. If we don't know where the orb is, then where the hell are we supposed to start looking? Should we just go out and start looking wherever until we find a lead or something?"
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"We gladly feast on those who would ignore our might!" roars a six- or seven--foot-long sea snake-like creature. Well, not a roar, really, save in her own mind. More of a yelp to be honest. "I am proud to be counted for this great journey, and shall protect my minions with my glorious powers!

"Unless we all get killed, anyway."
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aussir sits quietly on top of a large block of ice he made upon arriving for the meeting. After thinking about what was said for a minute, he comes up with what he thinks could be a great idea. But instead of just saying it, he waits with obvious excitement since he knows the others usually come up with much cooler ideas than he does. In an effort to keep calm, he uses his breath to replace the ice that has melted from his block due to the warm ground. As he waits for the others, buzzing with the excitement that they are going on their first real adventure, he says "I can't wait to get started! Let's show them that we are strongest and to be respected. Bek, how many times do I have to tell you, I'm not a minion; I'm a dragon!"
    Last edited by JonU; 2015-10-06 at 10:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorgar had been vibrating with energy the entire day. It had been hard for him to stand still and his form had been evershifting.

Now however, standing in front of the massive elders he feels very small and insignificant. With his gaze aimed towards the feet of the eldest elder he has a very consentrated face until he realises that he knows nothing of this orb that seems to important. He bends his neck and looks at the elders face for a moment, wanting to ask about the orb but as he opens his mouth he finds that no sounds come out and he jerks his gaze back to look at the feets of the mighty elder, face red.
    He looks anxiously at Igneas, hearing his peer speak so disrespectful to the elders and his anxiousity only increases hearing the informal way his friends speak.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quietly: "Minion?"

By this point, Bek's... opinions... had been on display often enough that Dian was rarely bothering to do much more than snark at them. Especially in front of the Elders - when they're just been trusted with a mission as a result of their 'teamwork'...

Regular volume: "Honored Elders, a few questions if I may?" Assuming none of the Elders stop her, she'll continue with, "As my... colleague... asked, do we have any information on where to begin the search? Is there any additional information available on this orb, or the situation in which it was lost? Could we have access to a map of the non-dragon lands? And is this mission to be considered a secret from the non-dragons we may encounter during the search?"

In her head, there were some additional questions running. Such as 'Why is this mission so urgent we have to be sent out before most of us can fly?' and 'What possible reasons could our Gods have for a prohibition against fully-grown dragons taking on a mission on behalf of all dragon-kind?'. Those questions would be nagging at her for a while... but she felt it was probably more sensible to restrict herself to the questions that were directly relevant to completing the mission, not those related to the reasons behind it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorgar looks thankfully at Dian for having the courage of voicing the things he wanted to say but didn't dare and for doing it in a so polite way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Maal has gotten bored and taken to climbing the walls of the volcano. It's as close as he can get to flight at this age. Eventually, he chimes in. "What's it look like? Aside from yanno, an orb."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Bek grins at Dian. "You're dragons, and I like you, so you can't be slaves. Is there a word for 'people under my protection?' Not protectorate, I don't think.

"Eh, whatever."

She frowns as a thought comes to her. "Will there be much need for flight along the way? Some of us have better things to do than learn to fly." By which she means that she only has fins, damn it, give her an item of flight or something.
    Last edited by GuesssWho; 2015-10-08 at 06:02 PM.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

10. - Top - End - #10

Hearing Bek mention not being able to fly, he quickly quips "That's only cause you have itty bitty wings!" Aussir then leans over to Igneas and ask very quietly "What does she mean "Colleague" and wtf is a "protectorate""? Aussir is slowly starting to get agitated with all the big words being thrown around by Bek and Dian. He's used to it, but it still doesn't mean he enjoys it. After getting an answer he returns his gaze to the elder dragon as he waits to hear what he says in response to the questions asked by the others.

Spoiler: Bek
    Show
    Just going to go with Aussir calling your fins wings, cause you know, dragons don't have fins :P
    Last edited by JonU; 2015-10-08 at 07:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Enough children. I know you have questions but do not forget that I am your elder, and do not think that we would send you out upon the world unprepared for the task you have been given."

The Gold elder raises his head and breathes a great stream of fire into the air, heat billowing forth encompassing the entire clearing.

"You will be provided a map, as well as what little info we have remaining on the orb. There are leads but they are weak, as much time has passed since the orb was lost to us."

The elder dragons looks to an ancient white dragon and motions forward with his head.

"Recshad will offer what knowledge we have remaining to us."

The white dragon steps forward, bowing slightly to the elder

"The orb was said to change color to match the wyrm looking upon it. It is about the size of a human skull and some have said that it is the heart of the first of our kind. It was lost to us in the kingdom of Desril to the north but has likely been moved many times since then, though Desril may still be a good place to begin your search. There is rumored to be information regarding the orb in the library of Grel, kept as a fairy tale to the mortals. Though the orb was taken in Desril it's thief was from the land of Hilt, a nation to the east. This is all the knowledge of the orb we have left to us."

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorgar is slightly shivering but his curiosity have overwon his fear for the elders: "But what does it do?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Igneas looked at Lorgar as the smaller dragon spoke. Took the words right out of my mouth. We don't even know what this thing could do. At least we'll know where to start looking now, though...

He growled softly and shifted his position, claws clicking against the stone floor. This whole thing did feel a bit off to him, but at the same time, he was feeling a bit excited. A chance to go out into the world and prove themselves? This is just what he had been wanting for a long time.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Bek is split between prideful certainly that they will succeed and a cynical suspicion that this is all just a snipe hunt meant to get them out of the way for a while. The two feelings average out to mild annoyance, which is pretty much her standard state of mind.

If it's a heart, why is it round? Does anyone know?

"I'd suggest we get a few helpful items, if there are any to spare. This is important, right?" She wants a damn Phoenix cloak if she can wrangle one, although that's hardly likely.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

15. - Top - End - #15

"Thanks for all the information." says Aussir. He then turns around to the rest of the group and asks, "So what's the plan? Go to Desril first and interrogate the town for information, or go to that library place and interrogate them? I'm ready to go whenever, but a sack with a drawstring wouldn't be a bad thing to have."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"I still want to know what it does", Lorgar says stubbornly, feeling forgotten and looking challenging at Aussir. As challenging as the smallest dragon in the pack of small dragons can look that is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Maal eyes Aussir with suspicion. "Dunno what I like less. That you keep saying 'interrogate' or that you want a drawstring sack..."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Glancing over at Aussir, Dian glares at him steadily for a moment - not having liked the number of 'interrogates' he came out with any more than Maal did - but refrained from adding her voice to the objections. Mostly just out of a desire not to start arguments in front of the elders.

"I'm sure my parents can supply a few more of these, " Dian pats the converted backpack slung under her torso with a wingtip, "if you need them. It felt a little odd wearing one at first, but they have their uses." Such as holding her spellbook when she travelled.

Again, she considers voicing her objection to Aussir's desire for interrogations, but decides instead to remind the elders of a question they hadn't answered for her. "This was one of the reasons why I asked if this mission would need to be kept a secret. If we cannot let the bipeds know what we're searching for, then 'interrogating' anyone is right out, and we'll need to be a little more creative with our intelligence-gathering techniques."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"We can interrogate them if we eat them afterwards. A good meal and no witnesses, that's two birds with one stone!" Bek wriggles excitedly in the dirt. "I ate a human once, they're bony but tasty."
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Igneas rolled his eyes. "Dian, let's put you in charge of any information-gathering. The others would probably terrify any smooth-skins speechless, or think with their stomachs rather than their heads." He glared at Aussir and Bek as he said that. "And I agree with Lorgar. I want to know what exactly the orb does before we take off after it.

Extended Signature Link

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Dian, raised on the more-or-less-entirely-mineral diet of a typical gold dragon, holds up one claw in a 'one moment' gesture. She then walks a short distance away from the group, and throws up something that promptly starts trying to burn a small crater into the ground. She then rejoins the group, and replies to Bek's suggestion with a terse, yet very firm, "No."

Apparently, humans don't agree with her digestion...

Finally, she gets around to replying to Igneas. "My common is a touch rusty, but it shouldn't be bad enough to cause issues talking to bipeds."
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-10-11 at 08:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Maal drops from the ceiling, which he'd managed to climb to without anyone noticing, and lands ungracefully on the ground. "I wouldn't terrify people. I'm great with people!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Awww, but I like the way they beg.

"Are you alright?"
    Bek has no idea that casual mentions of eating people could ever be upsetting to anyone, and now she wants to help in her usual annoying fashion. "Do you need something to drink, dear?"
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

24. - Top - End - #24

Aussir turns to address Maal's objection, "What's wrong with interrogating? How else do we get information on this orb thing?" He then says to Bek, "I don't quite agree with the whole eating humans thing, there are much more delicious things to eat than a human. Now if they start a fight and they are dead afterwards, I don't see a problem cleaning up the mess." When Maal lands so ungracefully from his fall from the ceiling, Aussir then comments "Suuuuurrreeeee, a 200+ pound dragon falling from the ceiling would never scare a human." When he notices Dian throw-up, he snickers just a little. He has always been a little amused at how easy it can be to make Dian throw up. Aussir notes Lorgar's little show of intimidation, and shoots an evil eye back at him.
    Last edited by JonU; 2015-10-12 at 07:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

The elder white dragon let the wyrmlings speak their mind. He had amazing patience for one of his breed and he knew that the young ones needed to get out their questions as well as their infighting. When they started to get too distracted he saw that it was time to reign them back in.

"If you have a specific request for an item then we will see if it is available. It has been a long time since we have raided human lands and our own smith's are now old and a bit lazy."

He slightly turned to an old blue who was the greatest smith among them.

"As for what the orb does... We are working mostly off of Legend at this point as the last dragon to have actually seen the orb was dead. It is said to bring out the true potential of a dragon. What exactly that means we are not sure. The main reason for wanting it retrieved has to do with what it does when wielded by a human. It is said to be able to control us. And yes, this mission needs to be kept secret. It is why we elders have been forbidden from interference. The gods believe that if we were to interfere the humans may attempt to wield the orb against us."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, Bek doesn't like that. "No one controls me!

"Would a phoenix cloak be too hard to find? Or wings of flying? I know that they're somewhat rare, but everyone else has wings and I would hate to be an unnecessary burden to my most beloved servants."
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Igneas snorted in derision. "Careful about that, Bek. Some of us might take exception to being referred to as servants." There was a dangerous edge to his voice on that last word. "Besides, our wings still aren't quite developed enough to fly, and I'd imagine it would take us a while to strengthen them up to fly at a speed that would be faster than just walking around. And of course," he added with a wicked grin, "we wouldn't want to leave you behind on the land - or maybe the water - while the rest of us are exploring the freedom of flight."

An orb that controls dragons in the hands of humanoids? That sounds like trouble waiting to happen, he thought to himself. Though if it really can bring out the potential of a dragon... Getting our hands on that would be extremely useful for all of dragonkind.

Igneas looked back up at the elders. "If I may, I would like to request some sort of pack, something that can store more on the inside than it would seem just looking at the outside. If we have something like that, of course. It could be useful depending on what else we find on the way."
    Last edited by Draconium; 2015-10-18 at 10:59 PM.

Extended Signature Link

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know you wouldn't want to leave me behind, that's why I'm asking for wings." She sticks her tongue out at him playfully. "Ooh, yes, that IS a good idea. Who knows how much we might need to carry?"
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"I want one of those" he eagerly responds to Dian upon being showed the converted backpack.

"Wauw", Lorgar says as his eyes appear even bigger than they usually are before turning curious again, "and what is a dragon's true potential?" he continues in a tone that usually implies that his mouth is about to turn into a decanter of endless questions.
    He sticks his tongue out for a moment in what appears to deep thought before responding to the request for specific items: "I would like some of the those golden small pieces, like the one that old whitey likes to sleep on" He says, giving the ancient dragon his best puppy eyes. Seemingly he has forgotten his previous nervousness.

Hearing Bek refering to him as servant he affectionously rubs his head against whichever part of Bek that is closest, still blissfully unaware of the true meaning of a servant and assuming that it's Bek's way of showing care and protection.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2015-10-19 at 06:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Well, I'm ready to go. I don't need any stinking gear, all it does is slow you down anyways."Having said this, Aussir makes way over to the exit were he patiently waits on the others. As he passes Bek, he takes extra care to accidentally step on her tail and mumbles under his breath "I'm nobody's servant or protectorate thing."

As he wait he starts to make a hole to nap in. If it takes more than a minute he has it lined with ice and he takes a nap while they get ready.