New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Defenestrating Sphere

Does using this spell (once you've cast it) take a move action, or a move action and an attack action?

Based on a cursory reading it seems to say that you can just use your move actions, which would allow you to continue casting spells while directing this thing to attack... or am I reading that wrong?
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Defenestrating Sphere

Wait, is this a spell for throwing stuff out of a window? Where can I find it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    Wait, is this a spell for throwing stuff out of a window? Where can I find it?
    It is in the Spell Compendium (of course) and I think it's also in Complete Arcane.

As for the OP's question, the wording seems unambiguous to me:
    As a move action, you can make the sphere travel up to 30 ft. per round and strike a creature or object you indicate as a ranged touch attack.
    Not to go grammatical on you, but "As a move action" functions as a sentence adverb: that is to say, it modifies the entire clause which follows. So "As a move action" you make the sphere both travel AND strike a creature or object. (I actually do teach a grammar class. Funny, eh?)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would have preferred a Discombobulating Sphere
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by henebry View Post
    Not to go grammatical on you, but "As a move action" functions as a sentence adverb: that is to say, it modifies the entire clause which follows. So "As a move action" you make the sphere both travel AND strike a creature or object. (I actually do teach a grammar class. Funny, eh?)
    That's how I look at that too, but the "with a ranged touch attack" part that follows could be read to mean that you use a move action to move the sphere, and then need to use a ranged touch attack (an attack action) so in other words, while this spell is active, you don't do jack other than hit stuff with it.

And yeah Attilargh, its a pretty nifty spell. And yes, it does throw people out windows.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

what's this sphere do? the name is amusing.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Lawl, defenstrating sphere. I like it. Divine/arcane ?

//Edit1: Ah, found it,
    Defenestrating Sphere, Sorc/Wiz 4 from Complete Arcane.
    <Evoc[air], VSM(100gp gray pearl), 1StdAct,Medium-range, 1rnd/lvl(D), SR applies>
    – Creates a 2’ radius sphere of air that the caster can move 30’ as a Move Action. If the sphere succeeds on a ranged touched attack, the target takes 3d6 damage (no save) and is knocked Prone (FortNeg, creatures larger than Medium-size are immune). A creature knocked Prone is thrown 1d8 x 10’ into the air (a new Fortitude save to negate) and lands 1d6 hexes in a random direction, taking all the appropriate falling damage.

//Edit2: ...interesting spell. Very, very interesting. 1d8+10' into the air, meaning at max 90' (Does a *maximized* def sphere maximize this, too? Is this usable during the round it's cast? I should think so, as its cast time is 1 standard action. Answering the original question, the wording is a bit ambiguous on that, but as you can *move* it 30', and can hit *on a ranged touch attack*... well, up to the DM, I guess, but the implication is strong that you need to make an attack with it.

//Edit3: Ah, found the original descption (non-crystal-keep one), it states 'As a move action, you can make the sphere travel 30' and strike the creature or object you designate as a ranged attack'. The range damage is 1d6 per 10' fall, and 1d6 per 10' you were unable to hit, ie in a narrow corridor (say 10') and maximized, you'd get 8d6 damage for hitting the ceiling, then 1d6 damage for falling back... so think 9d6 damage always, assuming no automatic feather fall. 3d6 assured and potential 12d6 damage? Not at all shabby for a 4th level spell. Sadly, no increase so I'm betting this is good starter spell for anyone who hits 9th level.
    Last edited by Renx; 2007-05-21 at 10:16 AM.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    //Edit2: ...interesting spell. Very, very interesting. 1d8+10' into the air, meaning at max 90' (Does a *maximized* def sphere maximize this, too? Is this usable during the round it's cast? I should think so, as its cast time is 1 standard action. Answering the original question, the wording is a bit ambiguous on that, but as you can *move* it 30', and can hit *on a ranged touch attack*... well, up to the DM, I guess, but the implication is strong that you need to make an attack with it.
    Yes and yes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The wording is crystal clear. You use a move action. That move action causes two things: movement and an attack. The attack happens if you move the sphere into someone. Not that complicated.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sphere does the touch attack, not you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

As said before, the sphere does the touch attack. So you move action to move it in, standard action to do something else (drink a potion of invisibility perhaps? or fly so you don't get bullrushed into it?)
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

This spell's name is very misleading...there have to be windows involved. The word "defenestration" comes from the German "fenster", for "window". They did add the falling damage in there, though, so it makes a little sense...

A vaguely-related article for the masses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague
    "There's a good reason they didn't make 'Communist' as a player class, Komarov."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The spell does specify: "if there is a window within range of the spell, the target is thrown towards it instead of straight up."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    The spell does specify: "if there is a window within range of the spell, the target is thrown towards it instead of straight up."
    True, true. I still think it'd be better, if, say "a window to another dimension opens, and you throw the target through it", eh?

"There's a good reason they didn't make 'Communist' as a player class, Komarov."

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Komarov View Post
    This spell's name is very misleading...there have to be windows involved. The word "defenestration" comes from the German "fenster", for "window". They did add the falling damage in there, though, so it makes a little sense...

A vaguely-related article for the masses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague
    They included the window factor in... if there is a window nearby, the enemy is automatically tossed towards it.

And yes, glad to see that others are thinking the way that I was. My DM is known to randomly put limits on things that aren't necessarily the intent but are within the RAW. At least now I have my counter arguments ready when he does so with this spell.

FYI Renx, posting that stuff from Crystal Keep is a good way (as I understand the forum rules) to get this locked and deleted. Please don't post non-OGL stuff, regardless of where you get it.
    Last edited by Tyger; 2007-05-21 at 05:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    edit: would taking actions while 'flying' slow you down? I can just imagine someone hovering in air, decending 5' a round, because they're full attacking the air...
    I'm pretty certain trying to figure this out would make my head explode, but...I'll get back to you on that (please, someone beat me to it).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    would taking actions while 'flying' slow you down? I can just imagine someone hovering in air, decending 5' a round, because they're full attacking the air...
    Depends on maneuverability. If you have good/perfect maneuverablity (ie. you can hover), then you can take all the actions you like and not lose altitude. Anything less, and you have to maintain a minimum rate of movement in any given round or you fall (what this minimum movemement distance is varies).
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, you could render someone quite helpless with this--they'd spend so much time moving around (rising/falling) that they wouldn't have time left in the round for anything else, kinda like that gag where someone jumps, and doesn't finish their move until the next round because they've used all their movement.
    Sure... if it succeeds on a ranged touch attack and they fail two saves, every round. And assuming they're no larger than medium, in which case the spell won't work at all beyond the 3d6 damage.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-05-21 at 07:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not to go into pedantic mode, but defenestration actually owes its root to the Latin fenestra, from which the German word Fenster also descends.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

What happens if they're in a room with multiple windows? It select a random one?

Also, what if you hit somebody who's halfway through a window?

I just feel like being a nuisance.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by F.H. Zebedee View Post
    What happens if they're in a room with multiple windows? It select a random one?
    You're split into exactly <multiple>, same-sized parts that fly towards their respective windows, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by F.H. Zebedee View Post
    Also, what if you hit somebody who's halfway through a window?
    1. You fall towards the window
    2. You fall back, jigsawing
    3. Paradox.
    4. ????
    5. Profit.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

What if you're having a flying battle outside of a tower, near a window? Would a defenestrating sphere throw people into the building?

What if I stick a sphere of annihilation in a window?

What if I have my Unseen Servant carry around a lightweight window made of wood or wires? What if it's a board with teleportation circle to some horrible place on it, and a window painted in the middle?

23. - Top - End - #23

What if there's a beholder who believes eyes are the windows to the soul?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    What if there's a beholder who believes eyes are the windows to the soul?
    He implodes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).