New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Damage Reduction vs Energy Resistance

This has come up many times over my gaming experiences, and I have had more and more questions about how these two interact.

If a creature with DR 2/- and fire resistance 5 is hit with a fireball, is the damage reduced by 5 or 7? Likewise, what happens to a creauture with DR 5/good when an orb of force nails it?
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Damage Reduction vs Energy Resistance

Damage reduction only applies to weapon attacks. Spells ignore it. In your first case, the damage is reduced by 5. In the second case, it is not reduced.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Damage reduction doesn't do anything at all versus energy damage, just versus weapons. So the fireball and the orb of force will both ignore it. The fireball will be reduced by 5 by the fire resistance, and the orb of force will do full damage.

Hardness does apply to all sources of damage, but that's usually just for objects: It's uncommon for creatures to have hardness, and those few that do are usually constructs.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

They don't interact at all. One protect from an energy, the other from physical damage. They don't ever come up at the same time.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    They don't interact at all. One protect from an energy, the other from physical damage. They don't ever come up at the same time.
    +1 Flaming Greatsword vs. Skeleton with Resist Energy (Fire)?

sorry, I had to...

Edit: Fixing bad quote formatting before Mod uses Turn Unthread...
    Last edited by Rijan_Sai; 2016-02-15 at 01:26 AM.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Rijan_Sai;19126258]
    They don't interact at all. One protect from an energy, the other from physical damage. They don't ever come up at the same time.[/QUOTE]

+1 Flaming Greatsword vs. Skeleton with Resist Energy (Fire)?

sorry, I had to...
    Saw the white text as I was "um, actually" quoting
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Smacking someone with a torch also does bludgeoning damage and fire damage.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Straight from the special ability description for Damage Reduction: "A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below."

So if a spell or magical ability deals piercing damage, such as Crystal Shard, it will ignore the damage reduction. Only weapon attacks (manufactured weapons and natural weapons) are reduced by DR, not spells, even if they deal the same type of damage as weapons normally do.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    So if a spell or magical ability deals piercing damage, such as Crystal Shard, it will ignore the damage reduction. Only weapon attacks (manufactured weapons and natural weapons) are reduced by DR, not spells, even if they deal the same type of damage as weapons normally do.
    I believe Complete Psionics changed that, but it is utterly nonsensical so I would recommend ignoring it (like 9/10 of CPsi).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    I believe Complete Psionics changed that, but it is utterly nonsensical so I would recommend ignoring it (like 9/10 of CPsi).
    They did, but only for powers, so, say Hail of Stones can still ignore both DR (its a spell), and ER (which doesn't apply to bludgeoning.

Support ignoring CPsi's idiotic nerfs (like this, and only having one AC out at a time).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Warning, Houserule!
    We have always played it as: If the ability allows SR, it does not allow DR and if not, DR applies normally for damage with some appropriate physical representation.
    The reason for this is, if you have DR X/bludgeoning and are hit by a boulder, you don't care whether that stone was thrown by a giant or created above your head by wizard. Spells which do not allow SR obviously create something "real", that is not depending on magic to exist (after completion of the spell).

I know RAW is different and YMMV, but this just seems sensible and nerfs casters just a bit.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

What about weapons that deal energy damage (tazer = electricity, flame thrower = fire...)?

Are these suitable weapons to hunt werewolves with DR 15/silver?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My house rule is even simpler: DR always applies except for the indicated bypass. Whether the damage comes from a spell or directly from a weapon is irrelevant.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    What about weapons that deal energy damage (tazer = electricity, flame thrower = fire...)?

Are these suitable weapons to hunt werewolves with DR 15/silver?
    To be honest, I don't think DR/silver is a good choice to represent the classical werewolf. Some sort of regeneration that is blocked by silver seems much more appropriate. But I guess, regeneration is reserved for trolls mostly...

To answer your question: RAW, a flame-thrower is just as deadly to a werewolf as to the ordinary human because DR does not apply to energy attacks.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Damage reduction only applies to weapon attacks. Spells ignore it. In your first case, the damage is reduced by 5. In the second case, it is not reduced.
    I think technically it applies to anything that does slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think technically it applies to anything that does slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage.
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by glossary
    A creature with this special quality (extraordinary or supernatural) ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below.
    Only weapons and natural attacks are effected by DR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: Damage Reduction vs Energy Resistance

It always made sense to me that damage reduction would apply to spells that dealt bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage; or at least that it applied to anything that dealt such damage… like falling?

Quote Originally Posted by Surpriser View Post
    To be honest, I don't think DR/silver is a good choice to represent the classical werewolf.
    If by "classic" you mean Lon Chaney, Jr.'s Wolfman. Classic movie, definitely… but that's where the "silver harms werewolves" thing comes from.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surpriser View Post
    To be honest, I don't think DR/silver is a good choice to represent the classical werewolf. Some sort of regeneration that is blocked by silver seems much more appropriate. But I guess, regeneration is reserved for trolls mostly...

To answer your question: RAW, a flame-thrower is just as deadly to a werewolf as to the ordinary human because DR does not apply to energy attacks.
    DR can be fluffed as simply fast regeneration that doesn't regrow entire limbs....in fact that's kinda the standard fluff, save for minor DRs, like the Barbarians, which is just ignoring pain.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

They did, but only for powers, so, say Hail of Stones can still ignore both DR (its a spell), and ER (which doesn't apply to bludgeoning.

Support ignoring CPsi's idiotic nerfs (like this, and only having one AC out at a time).
    I believe most spells that do weapon damage types have lower base damages to compensate for the lack of resistance against them anyway. They were actually designed with this rule in mind.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Personally, I feel that if spells that dealt weapon damage weren't meant to have DR affect them then they wouldn't have bothered calling out the damage type in the first place. That seems pointless if it wasn't going to matter for DR, which is practically the only case where weapon damage type matters, as far as I can tell.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    DR can be fluffed as simply fast regeneration that doesn't regrow entire limbs....in fact that's kinda the standard fluff, save for minor DRs, like the Barbarians, which is just ignoring pain.
    I think he means mechanically regeneration penetrated by silver better represents a classic werewolf