Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Word counts?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Word counts?

I've been working on some stories over time. I write for recreational purposes, and so have a tendency to start and abandon stories according to my whims. But even abandoned stories don't stay that way forever, and sometimes it's actually fun to dust off an older story and get back to working on it.

I don't suppose there's a hard and fast rule for how many words a story should be? I don't plan to end any of my stories, but to split them up if it makes more sense.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Word counts?

It depends on your audience and how the story is supposed to be read. A joke can be a single sentence, a professionally published short story is I think usually around 10,000 words, a novella is 20,000 and a novel around 50,000, sometimes less, sometimes several times as much.

For a story that's supposed to be read online in a handful of sittings 10,000 might be a decent upper limit, that's about 20 pages (A4 or letter) worth of text.

Then again, for the story to be good the length needs to work with the story you're telling. No sense cramming a novel into a short story or stretching a joke into a novel. Write what you want to write, then worry about where the right audience for your story can be found.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Word counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    I've been working on some stories over time. I write for recreational purposes, and so have a tendency to start and abandon stories according to my whims. But even abandoned stories don't stay that way forever, and sometimes it's actually fun to dust off an older story and get back to working on it.

I don't suppose there's a hard and fast rule for how many words a story should be? I don't plan to end any of my stories, but to split them up if it makes more sense.
    Exactly enough to say what you want to say.