New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Cosmicsodacan's OOTS Fan Art Dump

I didn't see any active fan art threads, so I suppose it's on me to make one for myself.

I draw OOTS fan art a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Vaarsuvius in particular has graced both my digital folders and my physical sketchbook over 300 times total--trust me, I've counted. So at the urging of some well-meaning family members to "send in" my artwork (whatever that means), I've decided to put a handful of my better pieces up on the forum. Keep in mind that most of these are rather old, so they aren't always an actual indicator of my current skill level.

The group shot I did in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the first comic. (9/29/23, ignore Belkar's gloves; somehow I'd gotten it into my head that they were a permanent wardrobe addition rather than part of his cold-weather outfit.)

A redraw/reimagining of a panel from OOTS #203. (5/25/23)

A sketch page of Vaarsuviuses (Vaarsuvii?) inspired by card art from the OOTS game. (6/22/23)

Redcloak being very menacing indeed. (4/30/23, his outfit/armor is a bit nonsensical; I plan on giving him a proper design sometime in the future.)

Finally, my redraw of Vaarsuvius's transformation in OOTS #635. (6/4/22, this thing is super old and crusty, so don't judge it too harshly! )

I have more if people are interested, but I'll leave it at these five for now. In the interim, there's more on my Tumblr if you'd like to check it out there.

Edit: I’m not super used to old school forums, so some of these links might be wonky. I’m trying to work it out so they go directly to the image.
    Edit 2: Links fixed!
    Edit 3: Links fixed--the sequel!
    Last edited by cosmicsodacan; 2024-04-01 at 04:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmicsodacan's OOTS Fan Art Dump

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsodacan View Post
    I didn't see any active fan art threads, so I suppose it's on me to make one for myself.

I draw OOTS fan art a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Vaarsuvius in particular has graced both my digital folders and my physical sketchbook over 300 times total--trust me, I've counted. So at the urging of some well-meaning family members to "send in" my artwork (whatever that means), I've decided to put a handful of my better pieces up on the forum. Keep in mind that most of these are rather old, so they aren't always an actual indicator of my current skill level.
    Well, you might have quite the skill level now, then!

The group shot I did in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the first comic. (9/29/23, ignore Belkar's gloves; somehow I'd gotten it into my head that they were a permanent wardrobe addition rather than part of his cold-weather outfit.)
    Blackwing looks insanely cool as an actual raven, and I love how Minrah has an actual beard and Serini really doesn't want to be part of this picture.

My only gripes are really Lien's nose (it's a perfectly good nose, it just doesn't fit her face all that well for me) and Belkar (see below).

And Belkar denying any responsibility like a pro is very convincingly delivered! I'm just not sure why people doing fan art keep giving him hair on his head when he OBVIOUSLY has a stubble-grade crew cut.

Redcloak being very menacing indeed. (4/30/23, his outfit/armor is a bit nonsensical; I plan on giving him a proper design sometime in the future.)
    Finally, this… The Crimson Mantle kills. It's awesome. Those hands are incredible too. And I like the outfit, actually, especially the shirt with those funky cuffs. I never pictured him as quite that hairy, but you made that work as well. Good job there!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, you might have quite the skill level now, then!
    You’re too kind.

I'm just not sure why people doing fan art keep giving him hair on his head when he OBVIOUSLY has a stubble-grade crew cut.
    I am… comically bad at drawing short hair. Long hair? Great. Shaggy hair? Also great. Bald people? No problem. But things like buzz cuts/crew cuts do nothing but frustrate me. It’s something I’m trying to work on.

Finally, this… The Crimson Mantle kills. It's awesome. Those hands are incredible too. And I like the outfit, actually, especially the shirt with those funky cuffs. I never pictured him as quite that hairy, but you made that work as well. Good job there!
    I know Redcloak is described as “bald” quite a bit, but I’m a big fan of fuzzy, cat-like goblins and bat-like hobgoblins. Also: would you believe me if I said I drew this (and the 203 redraw) on my phone with my finger? The others were done on my computer with a tablet.
    Last edited by cosmicsodacan; 2023-10-05 at 11:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

bat-like hobgoblins.
    Oh, I like bats! Hope we'll get one of those someday.

Also: would you believe me if I said I drew this (and the 203 redraw) on my phone with my finger?
    No. Way. (How?!)

5. - Top - End - #5

No. Way. (How?!)
    Lots and lots of practice. When I first started getting really serious about digital art, I didn’t have a computer of my own and also didn’t know how to use a drawing tablet, so my phone was really my only option. Even though I’ve got better tools now, the skills never really left, and I still draw on my phone when I can’t be bothered to boot up my laptop. The downside to the phone is that I have to sculpt my lines rather than use pen pressure to vary my line weight, which is why the computer pieces have more dynamic inks than the phone ones.

(I’m also itching to draw some more, so maybe I’ll update this thread with more fan art within the next few days. )

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

OP, these are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing! Probably the best OotS fanart I've ever seen!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    OP, these are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing! Probably the best OotS fanart I've ever seen!
    Thank you so much! It means a lot.

In other news, I actually just finished another piece this evening! It's Redcloak illustrated in a stained glass style. Because, y'know, cleric.

I'm also trying a different way of linking the image. Let me know how it works--if it just brings up the picture in a tab by itself, I might do the same for the pieces in the initial post. (Postimage is fine for avatars, but I'd rather not blast someone's eyes out with ads whenever they try to look at my art. )
    Last edited by cosmicsodacan; 2024-04-01 at 04:30 AM.
    Goblin wizard avatar by me. You can check out my other art in this thread or on my Tumblr!

8. - Top - End - #8

Thank you so much! It means a lot.

In other news, I actually just finished another piece this evening! It's Redcloak illustrated in a stained glass style. Because, y'know, cleric.
    I'm also pretty sure there might be a church in Gobbotopia City by now, with something like this on a window, if a lot less cool. This is awesome. And the Snarl in the background is double awesome. What's that thing floating above his right shoulder, though? A scroll?

I'm also trying a different way of linking the image. Let me know how it works--if it just brings up the picture in a tab by itself, I might do the same for the pieces in the initial post.
    Works just fine!

(Postimage is fine for avatars, but I'd rather not blast someone's eyes out with ads whenever they try to look at my art. )
    I mean, that's good thinking regardless of context.

9. - Top - End - #9

Works just fine!
    Wonderful! I'll edit the urls for the links in the first post sometime this evening.

I'm also pretty sure there might be a church in Gobbotopia City by now, with something like this on a window, if a lot less cool. This is awesome. And the Snarl in the background is double awesome.
    Double thank you!

What's that thing floating above his right shoulder, though? A scroll?
    It's the arcane half of the gate teleportation ritual. It looks a bit different than it does in the comic proper, but I wanted it to balance out the magic around Redcloak's left hand (claw?), so I took some creative liberties. Another little detail: the stars above his head/the general color palette are a reference to Gobbotopia's flag.
    Goblin wizard avatar by me. You can check out my other art in this thread or on my Tumblr!

10. - Top - End - #10

Despite my university trying its very best to keep me incredibly busy, I come bearing more art!

This time it's Vaarsuvius's four words from OOTS #634, which I just finished drawing not even an hour ago. (Tiny bit of a blood warning for this one, though it's just a few cuts and scrapes meant to reflect the injuries V has in the panel. I mean, they did get trounced by an ancient black dragon, so some damage is to be expected. Even so, if anybody wants to see the piece without it, let me know and I'll be happy to post an adjusted version! )

Other things of note:
    • You can see the reflection of both the blue and red orbs in V's eyes, even though the red orb isn't depicted in full here. You can also see the red orb reflected in the slight discoloration of the blue orb in the lower left corner.
    • The ring with red runes on V's right index finger is their Ring of Wizardry (referenced here and here), while the one with a green stone on their left ring finger is meant to be their wedding ring. There isn't actually a wedding ring ever referenced in the comic (if I remember correctly), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for some heavy-handed symbolism. (There's a reason the Ring of Wizardry is on the hand they're reaching out with!)
    • The weather in the original is much sunnier than depicted here, but I wanted to heighten the drama factor a bit! Plus there's a massive weather change in #635, so I felt that a realistic depiction of the scene would include that shift more gradually than the way it is in the comic.
    • I tried VERY hard on the rocks and had to repaint them at least four times to actually get them right, so I would appreciate it if they were gazed upon with awe and reverence for a minimum of five seconds.

I really like doing these panel redraws, so expect more in the future. (I've got an incredibly dusty and crusty WIP of the scene where V blasts Miko with Scorching Ray, but hoo boy, it's gonna take some elbow grease to fix it up into something postworthy.)
    Last edited by cosmicsodacan; 2023-11-15 at 06:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite my university trying its very best to keep me incredibly busy, I come bearing more art!

This time it's Vaarsuvius's four words from OOTS #634, which I just finished drawing not even an hour ago. (Tiny bit of a blood warning for this one, though it's just a few cuts and scrapes meant to reflect the injuries V has in the panel. I mean, they did get trounced by an ancient black dragon, so some damage is to be expected. Even so, if anybody wants to see the piece without it, let me know and I'll be happy to post an adjusted version! )

Other things of note:
    • You can see the reflection of both the blue and red orbs in V's eyes, even though the red orb isn't depicted in full here. You can also see the red orb reflected in the slight discoloration of the blue orb in the lower left corner.
    • The ring with red runes on V's right index finger is their Ring of Wizardry (referenced here and here), while the one with a green stone on their left ring finger is meant to be their wedding ring. There isn't actually a wedding ring ever referenced in the comic (if I remember correctly), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for some heavy-handed symbolism. (There's a reason the Ring of Wizardry is on the hand they're reaching out with!)
    • The weather in the original is much sunnier than depicted here, but I wanted to heighten the drama factor a bit! Plus there's a massive weather change in #635, so I felt that a realistic depiction of the scene would include that shift more gradually than the way it is in the comic.
    • I tried VERY hard on the rocks and had to repaint them at least four times to actually get them right, so I would appreciate it if they were gazed upon with awe and reverence for a minimum of five seconds.

I really like doing these panel redraws, so expect more in the future. (I've got an incredibly dusty and crusty WIP of the scene where V blasts Miko with Scorching Ray, but hoo boy, it's gonna take some elbow grease to fix it up into something postworthy.)
    Very nice! The big nose and long ears give V a sort of donkey-ish appearance, but it's a fantastic piece of work!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your art is amazing and I'm looking forward to your next piece! The extra notes/commentary is very nice too. I'm slightly frustrated right now because I would like to send it to my D&D group but despite my constant pestering they still haven't read the comic yet. The goblin and especially elven ears are not what I pictured, but you make it work beautifully.
    Also, Redcloak's stained glass picture reminds me of Mistborn for at least three different reasons and is generally a stunning piece of art.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

This is really wonderful!! You’re very skilled

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Very nice! The big nose and long ears give V a sort of donkey-ish appearance,
    Well, V can be an ass at times.

but it's a fantastic piece of work!
    Concur! Would have expressed that sentiment earlier, but I've been too busy admiring those rocks these last few weeks.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    but it's a fantastic piece of work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Your art is amazing and I'm looking forward to your next piece!
    Quote Originally Posted by cursedpupper View Post
    This is really wonderful!! You’re very skilled
    Concur! Would have expressed that sentiment earlier, but I've been too busy admiring those rocks these last few weeks.
    Thank you all so, so much!!! I'm glad my work is appreciated! (Especially the rocks. I hated rendering those rocks. ) I love reading all the feedback. It makes my day whenever someone posts in this thread.

Also, I finally got around to fixing the links in the first post! The pictures should be much easier to view now.

In other news: after clawing my way out from the fiery pit that is Art Block, I've got another piece! It's nothing too crazy this time, just a portrait of Tsukiko. It's not as polished as I'd like it to be, but sometimes you just have to call something done. This one was a bit of a struggle, if you couldn't tell.

Notes:

• The beads on Tsukiko's hair ties are little skulls. The design on her corset also has little skulls to match!
    • In a piece with less Stuff Going On, I probably would have added more jewelry--long necklaces, bracelets, rings, some kind of funky belt thing around her corset, maybe a choker--but I didn't want the composition to get too cluttered.
    • Even though I see Tsukiko as having a very trad-goth look to her overall, the way I did her makeup is intentionally inspired by corpse paint. Because haha, necromancy puns. I wanted to make the makeup a bit wilder than it ended up, but doing so would have sacrificed the clarity of her face/expression.

I'm not entirely sure what to draw next. Suggestions are welcome, though I can't guarantee I'll be able to do them any justice. (Curse you, art block!)

16. - Top - End - #16

In other news: after clawing my way out from the fiery pit that is Art Block, I've got another piece! It's nothing too crazy this time, just a portrait of Tsukiko. It's not as polished as I'd like it to be, but sometimes you just have to call something done.
    Very nice work on the musculature of the upper left arm and left shgoulder, I must say! And I wouldn't have noticed the skulls on the corset if you didn't mention them, in addition to almost mistaking your signature for a magical effect, well played! Are the rectangles in the background scenic Azure City Gobbotopia City?

I'm not entirely sure what to draw next. Suggestions are welcome, though I can't guarantee I'll be able to do them any justice. (Curse you, art block!)
    Have you considered doing friendly magical Lizards? I like friendly magical lizards.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

In other news: after clawing my way out from the fiery pit that is Art Block, I've got another piece! It's nothing too crazy this time, just a portrait of Tsukiko.

It's scary, beautiful, and scarily beautiful. Well done again!
    As far as suggestions go, maybe something taking place in Celestia, like Eric and Roy making their block castle, or Horace and Roy going fishing. I'd like to see those cute peaceful scene in your drawing style.

Have you considered doing friendly magical Lizards? I like friendly magical lizards.
    Conversely, I have another, less friendly, magical lizard in mind, if you want to keep drawing vilains.
    Last edited by Coppercloud; 2024-01-13 at 04:43 AM.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I saw these on Tumblr earlier, excellent technique!

I especially like the Varsuviii inspired by the board game
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2024-01-22 at 02:20 PM.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

19. - Top - End - #19

It's scary, beautiful, and scarily beautiful. Well done again!
    Very nice work on the musculature of the upper left arm and left shgoulder, I must say! And I wouldn't have noticed the skulls on the corset if you didn't mention them, in addition to almost mistaking your signature for a magical effect, well played!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Oh I saw these on Tumblr earlier, excellent technique! I especially like the Varsuviii inspired by the board game
    Thank you's all around!

Are the rectangles in the background scenic Azure City Gobbotopia City?
    They are, yes! Cityscapes are tremendously hard--sometimes it's okay to let a shape tool do the heavy lifting for you.

As far as suggestions go, maybe something taking place in Celestia, like Eric and Roy making their block castle, or Horace and Roy going fishing. I'd like to see those cute peaceful scene in your drawing style. Conversely, I have another, less friendly, magical lizard in mind, if you want to keep drawing vilains.
    I was going to do those friendly magical lizards that resurrected the oracle, but then uh. Classes started up again. So that sketch fell to the wayside. I might clean it up and slap some color on top sometime in the future, though? Not sure yet. As for Celestia/Malack, both of those concepts have been added to the idea pile that's been building all semester. Right now, I'm leaning toward either fishing or the block tower. I love a good family bonding scene!

And now, for the main event: a drawing that was supposed to be for New Year's. (Here's the original page.) I started this on the second-ish of January, but I've been so busy that I haven't had the time or energy to sit down and make an effort to finish it until yesterday. No Easter eggs/things of note in this one, not least of all because it is a month old and I can't stop noticing little mistakes when I look at it.

Because of how difficult it is right now for me to finish a full piece, I've been considering posting some of my less polished sketches here as well? Scraps and warmup doodles and things. Not sure about it yet.
    Last edited by cosmicsodacan; 2024-02-06 at 10:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

As for Celestia/Malack, both of those concepts have been added to the idea pile that's been building all semester. Right now, I'm leaning toward either fishing or the block tower. I love a good family bonding scene!
    Yay, I'm helping

And now, for the main event: a drawing that was supposed to be for New Year's. (Here's the original page.) I started this on the second-ish of January, but I've been so busy that I haven't had the time or energy to sit down and make an effort to finish it until yesterday. No Easter eggs/things of note in this one, not least of all because it is a month old and I can't stop noticing little mistakes when I look at it.
    Don't beat yourself up; if it helps, you can rebrand it as an early Valentine's day piece

Because of how difficult it is right now for me to finish a full piece, I've been considering posting some of my less polished sketches here as well? Scraps and warmup doodles and things. Not sure about it yet.
    I, for one, would enjoy seeing more of your art, even in simpler or less detailed forms.

21. - Top - End - #21

I was going to do those friendly magical lizards that resurrected the oracle, but then uh. Classes started up again. So that sketch fell to the wayside. I might clean it up and slap some color on top sometime in the future, though? Not sure yet.
    The very thought of them being in the works somewhere is a pleasing thought! Which is not to say I wouldn't love seeing some version, of course.

And now, for the main event:
    Well, damn. The Event itself. Red!V and Durkon quietly having a small heart attack in the background are funny.

I, for one, would enjoy seeing more of your art, even in simpler or less detailed forms.
    Yep! Please do so if you feel like doing so!

22. - Top - End - #22

Yep! Please do so if you feel like doing so!
    Ask and ye shall receive! Most of these were done while waiting for my DM to arrive to my 5e group's last sesh, haha. Normally I don't post messy sketches like this because I'm honestly not super confident in them, but I think these are alright enough to show. They're far from perfect, but at least they're not incomprehensible scribbles.

I think it's fairly obvious who's who, but just in case: purple is V, green is Belkar, magenta is Sabine, orange is Haley (specifically in this dress), blue is Miko, teal is Elan.

(Also, I'm not sure if I've said this here before, but I know that not everyone is going to imagine the OOTS cast how I draw them. That's fine. I draw the characters the way I do simply because it's how I like to draw them. It's how I imagine them, and I could go on for ages about why I imagine them that way. I've actually been considering doing a lineup of my body type/facial structure/height/etc. headcanons, though I don't know when I'm going to get around to that. It'll happen... eventually. Maybe. No promises. )

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uh, just letting you know: all your Discord links except your last one seem to have stopped working.

24. - Top - End - #24

Uh, just letting you know: all your Discord links except your last one seem to have stopped working.
    Oh no! Thanks for the heads up, I'll tinker with 'em and figure out what's wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25

Hi again! So Discord's thing about expiring external image links has finally come back to bite me, which means I'm going to be moving all my art to a different image hosting site. Right now, my first couple posts here have updated links as a stopgap, but they won't last forever. Expect them to go kaput within the next few days.

University continues to be a struggle, so I don't have much in the way of art to post right now. In better news, once I figure out where I want to host everything, I've got some sketches I might clean up and color in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'm able to climb out of this slump soon, and thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to look at my dumb scribbles, haha.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you for keeping us updated!
    No pressure, though; you have already offered us a wonderful gift - free art of our favorite comic! You don't owe us anything at all. We'll be pleased to see your next sketches, of course, but we can wait and understand if you want to stop at any point.

Also, through a written medium it's hard to tell the difference between a light joke and self-belittlement, so maybe my encouragement is not needed or akward, but: your drawings are not dumb scribbles. You drew high-quality fanart that all of us posting here enjoyed, and probably lots of people who didn't reply. It took talent, dedication (I hope rendering those rocks is not too much of a sore subject) and a genuine love for the comic. Please don't dismiss your efforts.
    Last edited by Coppercloud; 2024-04-02 at 01:25 PM.