New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Why do you play D&D?

Personally I play D&D to hang out with friends, eat lots of greasy food and drink caffienated beverages. We tell lame jokes, talk about the weeks events and even play a bit of D&D. The company of good friends is what Dungeons and Dragons is to me.

I try to make each campaign memorable with my choice of character. This time happens to be an Elven Bard. I have picked out theme music that plays every time he strums up one of his bardic songs (Eye of the Tiger by Bon Jovi is the song for Inspire Courage). I like a light and fun game, some times we triumph and sometimes we get smeared but everyone goes home happy. Dungeons and Dragons is about having a good time.
    DnD. Conscience-free. No matter what the paladins say.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Why do you play D&D?

My reasons are nearly identical to yours. But I also play because it's the one thing I find that still really makes me satisfied with my weekends. When I don't play D&D whenever I visit friends, I just feel like it was at least a little bit wasted. Come to think of it, that's kind of sad... I need a life.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Because it's the least frustrating way for me to indulge my creative impulses.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

to express my creativity, hang out with friends, and because I LOVE getting immersed in this imaginary world.

Spoiler
    Show
    I maded u some homebrew...but I eated it.
    (A.K.A. My homebrewin')

Avatar by Evil_Pacifist, who is awarded awesome points.

Coolest. Video. Ever.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

cause it's fun, and the real world can suck.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2007-05-21 at 08:03 PM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

So far it's the only setting where 'learn an instrument, chicks dig musicians' has actually worked with any success?

That's a joke there. I play for the friendship, the fun, the free mountain dew, and the long-running jokes about spiders laying eggs in your small intestine.

Fun!
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

It's an extremely fun and flexible creative outlet.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I pride myself in writing stories. D&D lets me do that and hang out with friends at the same time.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

9. - Top - End - #9

Because if I rolled up with a group of friends and put the torch to some random town in real life, there would be consequences.

DnD? Conscience-free. No matter what the paladins say.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2007-05-21 at 08:12 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do I play? For fun & relaxation of course. Though some days I think older systems were more fun. Nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Orak View Post
    Eye of the Tiger by Bon Jovi
    Did Bon Jovi remake the song? I probably still have it some where...in one of the 80s collections if not on the original Survivor CD.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I play D&D for the world I can create. The stories I can tell. And the comic relief from my insane, deeply perverted D&D group.
    Proud member of the Hinjo fanclub

A Video Gamer's Perspective: My thoughts on all different kinds of entertainment, especially video games and anime... plus maybe the occasional webcomic reference...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Only in D&D can I glare evilly at my buddy and blast the ever-lovin' crud out of him with an eldritch spear.

Thank heavens for "friendly" arena competitions.

Actually, like most, I like the creative outlet.
    Because bad guys who love their mothers should be respected.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

1. It's the only social activity I've found where I can go, hang out with other people, and not be bored.

2. A lot more freedom than any video or board game combined with more spontaneity and external input than writing, with the fun of both.

3. It's an accepted outlet for pretending you are something you aren't, such as an elf or gnome.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because d&d is the only game where I can go from animating a legion of undead, to unleashing a wave of arcane might, to shamanistically following the will of Anubis (we use his 1st ed alignment of lg), to slicing of heads with a vorpal sword of holding.
    Oh yeah, hanging out with friends and being creative is cool too.
    The most awesome avi ever by Vael.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And the most awesome sig ever by Necromimesis.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tabletop: All of the above, hanging out and drinking Mountin Dew.

Play-by-post: An amazingly nerd-tastic outlet for my hardcore RPing that surpasses the other DnD players in my area. Also, the leveling up is satisfying. That's about why I like RPGs more than any other genre. The leveling.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

What else is there to do?

:D

17. - Top - End - #17

have a world changing event that million dies, drinking some dwarfen ale, have some troll weed, burn down the town all in the comfort of my friends basement

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I've been playing a long time - more than 20 years now. I find that if I don't get my fix I start to feel cranky and unpleasant. So I guess it is a little addictive although I'm not a power gamer really at all.

To me, it's the story that matters. A creative process where I can create a being that, while not terribly realistic, is at least believable and consistent with the world that he she is in - using nothing more than my imagination and a few reference books. My characters have pasts, aspirations, desires and give me the opportunity to see things from their point of view. Something that actually helps me in real life.

If I'm running a game I have a whole world I can create! History, cosmology, theology are all up to me to create - it also gives me organizational skills, lets me know about deadlines as well as letting me express my social and presentation skills.

Basically, I play D&D for the fun and the expansion of my mind.

19. - Top - End - #19

I like to design things, characters, worlds, etc. Nowhere else can I design an entire functioning world and not have to write a detailed story for it.

The company of friends (sometimes; some of my group members aren't worth hanging with for anything else).

The thrill of seeing a good build fall into place; of seeing that one crucial spell turn the tide of the battle; of planning something and seeing it work.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Because I can light things on fire to actually solve problems without legal consequence.

2. I can die and come back to life

3. I can piss of friends to the point that they would try to kill me (in game) and laugh about it on the way home.

4. Wholesome family values...and the joy of defeating your enemies.
    ~Awesome avatar by Ceika

You can't spell damage without mage!

Proud owner of the Raistlin DnD figure (first try)!

21. - Top - End - #21

A friend of mine once described a set of things people normally want from games:

Relaxation -- basically, unwinding, doing something pleasing but not strenuous. This is the sort of enjoyment you can get from a movie.
    Challenges -- facing down tough challenges. Stretching your mind or body to its limits, as in many competitive games.
    Variety -- adventures, puzzles, new environments.
    Social interaction -- basically, interacting with others.

D&D is one of the few games (or, rather, RPG's are one of the few genres) I can think of that gives you all four. Building a character and killing a bunch of mooks is relaxation. The boss fight is a challenge. The dungeon on the way there gives you variety. And you're doing it all with a group of peers you're hanging out with the whole time. And if you're the DM, you get all of it too -- it's a challenge to come up with good dungeons, your players' actions give you plenty of variety, you can relax and enjoy yourself while they spend 45 minutes arguing about whether or not to push the red button, and of course it's social.

The specific part of that I most enjoy is the creative problem solving aspect. It's a very different sort of challenge from any other game I've played. It's not a pure logic challenge, it's not a challenge of reflexes, it's a challenge of balance and creativity and storytelling and using the game mechanics to create. And the process of overcoming the challenge, whether as a DM or as a player, is a rush.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I'm just in it for the pizza. and the funny dice with too many sides are pretty cool.

Seriously, it's the escapism and the freedom of choice that you can't get in PC/console games. or in RL for that matter.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't play DND.

However, I play other RPG games.
    Because I love to create a great story.
    But what I love even more is when my players give comments like "woah, that was an awesome session!" after we finish.

Yeah, I'm mostly the GM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

The sheer pleasure of spending time with old friends, making new ones and plotting their horrible, horrible dooms...

25. - Top - End - #25

I play D&D because it is the only system my group can agree on. I would much rather play Vampire and Mage. That said, D&D is easy on the brain and requires little or no deep thinking. Nice easy maths (I play with hypercubes in my head for fun), with black and white morality.

Actually, if I am honest, Amber is my favourite system. Sadly, my wife owns too many dice and so diceless systems confuse and scare her. I have tried to explain how diceless systems work and it gets ugly, so it is one of the banned subjects in our life. (it may be the single banned subject, now I think of it)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's a mixture of the escapism that comes from pretending to be fantastic magical heroes battling the forces of evil (the last session I played we killed a god ) and the social interaction: sitting around with a bunch of friends, playing some games, having some snacks, making lots and lots of very nerdy jokes. Good times.

As for why D&D over other systems, well, I can't really say as I haven't had much opportunity to play other games (although Wushu sounds like a hell of a lot of fun), but I think I'll always have a soft spot in my heart because the books that got me into fantasy were based on a D&D campaign setting (DragonLance) and it was the first RPG system I was ever particularly familiar with.
    Last edited by Lòkki Gallansbayne; 2007-05-22 at 06:58 AM.
    Biophiliac and proud!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Because I'm too lazy to actually write a book, and D&D lets me focus on writing the stuff I like, and letting the PCs fill in the rest.
    Last edited by DrummingDM; 2007-05-22 at 07:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

to be a hero, something that I can't be in the real world, or let others be heroes.
    Last edited by Narmoth; 2007-05-22 at 08:16 AM. Reason: what the # is smoething ?
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

29. - Top - End - #29

I'll second the creative outlet thing. D&D is a chance to sit around with friends and have a good time. I specifically enjoy making memorable characters and capturing that "omg" feeling. Even today, 3+ years after the best campaign I have been in, the players still talk about it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

It's way more interesting than card games.