New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Looking, but not finding.

Alright, I've been looking through my books for a couple of things, but I'm having trouble finding them. First, I need something that looks as human as possible, or can be easily disguised to look human, with the highest possible wisdom bonus, and lowest possible LA. Second, is there a feat that allows you to apply dexterity to melee damage, ala the Form 4 Lightsaber feat from SW d20, but for DnD 3.5? Pretty much any book is available to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking, but not finding.

Well, I doubt you'll be able to find an LA +0 race with more than a +2 Wis modifier. Probably be difficult to find many LA +1 races with a better modifier, too.

That being said, I'd start by looking up planetouched. They're uniformally LA +1. There are of course the Assimar and Tiefling from the MM. But you can also find the Genasi (Forgotten Realms or Dragon magazine, whichever you have access too), law and chaos planetouched (forget their proper names), and Para-Genasi. You might find something close to what you're looking for there. I don't have the issues of Dragon with the Genasi, Para-Genasi, and law and chaos planetouched handy right now, so I can't get more specific than that.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

IIRC:
    The PrC Champion of Corellan Larethian allows you to add your Dex modifier to melee damage (from 2nd level on I think). This PrC is only available to Elves and Half-Elves, though.
    There are two secrets to success in life: 1) Do not tell people everything you know.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

@ Shhalahr: Thanks much. I had looked over Aasimar, but wasn't sure if there was something else out there.

@ Glorfindel: What book is that PrC in, if you would be so kind?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by XagencyX View Post
    @ Glorfindel: What book is that PrC in, if you would be so kind?
    Honestly, I don't know. I think I saw someone on this forum posting something about it, but it is certainly not homebrew.

Educated guess: Races of the Wild.
    There are two secrets to success in life: 1) Do not tell people everything you know.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthropomorphic bat and toad are the ultimate low ECL wisdom races but if you want to look human Aasimar is the best bet.

There's a shadowhand feat that lets you add dex to damage in Tome of Battle but it's with very limited weapons.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Excellent! Thanks very much for the help, all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

PGtF's Lesser Aasimar variant has no LA at all, if your DM is ok with using these variants.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    Honestly, I don't know. I think I saw someone on this forum posting something about it, but it is certainly not homebrew.

Educated guess: Races of the Wild.

That PrC makes me think of Tolkien's Glorfindel, coincidentally--a mounted, armored elf paladin with his high dex not being hindered by the full plate he's wearing...
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-05-22 at 07:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You can use 3 feats from Tome of Battle. (Martial Study, Martial Stance, and Shadow Blade) to get your dex modifier to damage if you use dagger, sai, short sword, spiked chain, siangham, or unarmed strike. (if you use one of the ToB classes, you only need the shadow blade feat, since you can choose the mandatory stance for Shadow Blade from your class)

GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

M'kay. I found the copy of Dragon with the standard Genasi. None of them have a Wis bonus. I'll let you know about other planetouched options if I find it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Aasimar sounds like your race.

Champion of Corellon Larethian is in Races of the Wild, but as mentioned is Elf-blood only.

The Drow have a nifty Fighter option in Drow of the Underdark that allows them to add Dex to damage when catching people flat-footed, but also Drow-only.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Join us at Terres: Shadow of the Dark Gods, a free online Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition campaign.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I'm pretty sure the best you're going to get for the combination of low LA, wisdom bonus, looks human, and dex to melee damage is Aasimar with the Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle. LA +1 (+0 if your DM allows the Lesser Aasimar variant in the back of PGtF), +2 wisdom, +dex to damage with Shadow Hand favored weapons while in a Shadow Hand stance. Satisfying the prereqs for Shadow Blade requires either two feats or at least one level in Swordsage.

If you're willing to give up the wisdom bonus, elf or half-elf with two levels in Champion of Corellon Larethian is the only other way I know of to get dexterity to damage.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Not the original article, but I found a web page claiming Axani (Lawful planetouched) and Ice Para Genasi each have a +2 Wis. Can't guarantee accuracy, but it looks good.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, I'm really, really thankful for everyone who's responded. It's been an immense help.

So here's the thing. I'm working on a campaign for my gaming group, and a lot of it revolves around a semi-religious order, akin to the Jedi order. I was looking for a good prestige class that would fit their more martial minded branch, and the Champion of Corellon Larethian is almost a good fit, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, mainly because the majority population of the world is human, most of the other races having been killed off in a vast, continent spanning war. So I've rewritten the class a bit, and changed the prereqs slightly, and I'll like to pose it to the board, and see what everyone thinks.

First off, the granted abilities of the class are almost exactly the same, but the ones that specifically refer to Corellon have been renamed.

Changed prerequisites are marked with an asterisk.

Armored Acolyte of the Order

Race: Human *
    Base Attack +7

Skills:
    Diplomacy 5 ranks *
    Tumble 4 ranks *
    Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks *

Feats:
    Proficiency with all martial weapons and all armor
    Combat Expertise
    Dodge
    Mobility*

Special:
    Must be a member of the Order*

Special:
    Must take Weapon Focus: with a finesseable weapon*

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For anyone interested, the law and chaos planetouched are in the MM2.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.