New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default A Fun Campaign Idea

I'd like some input on whether this sounds like a good plan.

Basically, the idea is a world without most magic. All classes lose their Arcane Spells, Divine Spells, and Psionic Powers. You can still play classes like Druids, they just don't have any spells (shockingly enough, Druids are still competant without them, which is kinda sad). When crafting magic items, you can craft anything that you could have made if you had access to your spell list, so Druids can make wands of cure light wounds, for example, with the Craft Wand feat. You can also use such items by being those classes... a Wizard can use a Wand of Knock, though I don't expect people to play Wizards in such a campaign.

However, Warlocks are untouched, as are Binders. Basically, the humanoid races can't cast on their own, and need outside assistance to get the job done. Healing still works via the Crusader class, but to add some flexibility to healing options, Warlocks can use a re-energizing blast that heals 1d3 hitpoints for every 1d6 damage their eldritch blast would have done. Also, Buer is lowered to a first level vestige, so Binders can heal a little too, though it's mostly downtime healing.

And Artificers don't exist, since they'd be way too strong in this environment. Factorums too.

So, thoughts? In theory, this would be a great way to make the melee/skillmonkey classes function as their supposed to, by removing the whole "my spells trump your class" issue. Also, it would make magic items more special, since getting a wand or scroll is the only way you can actually cast most spells.

JaronK

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: A Fun Campaign Idea

If you're giving warlocks a healing incantation, be prepared for your party to be at full health at the end of every encounter; between a lack of spell slot casters and infinite health between fights, you remove much of the encounter-per-day limitations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hehe. I think you've done it.

You have made an overpowered Warlock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Besides, the Cleric is pretty much the archetypical class for using spells powered by outside forces. They are channeling divine energy from their patron god through them, not actually casting spells by themselves.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    So, thoughts? In theory, this would be a great way to make the melee/skillmonkey classes function as their supposed to, by removing the whole "my spells trump your class" issue.
    By which you mean Warlock + Binder + ToB become the new standard for power. If that's what you're looking for, then sure, but bear in mind that there are quite a few things that are (nearly) impossible to overcome without magic. Ability drain comes to mind. Oh, and monsters with SLAs are going to massacre people.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).