New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Pathetic Jobs in the Playground

I'll start.

My name is John. And I am a Cart Attendant. That is to say, a Cart Pusher.. and the guy who does pretty much everything else that no one seems to think is their job.

I'm sure my job isn't the worst, but it is very dull. I start recognizing different carts and giving them personalities.

I work for Target.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pathetic Jobs in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    I'll start.

My name is John. And I am a Cart Attendant. That is to say, a Cart Pusher.. and the guy who does pretty much everything else that no one seems to think is their job.

I'm sure my job isn't the worst, but it is very dull. I start recognizing different carts and giving them personalities.

I work for Target.
    I feel your pain buddy. I had that job for three months last year before they fired me for some BS reason. An incident at that workplace actually contributed to me having recurring back pains.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I worked as night watchmen for almost three years, few years back. It wasn't that crummy job but underpaid, underappreciated and boring.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It's something I love doing, and I don't find it pathetic, but my friends always laugh about it. I'm in the army.

You have to understand, I'm a bit below average height, a lot below average strength, I'd be awful in any warlike situation, wouldn't be able to hold a gun to save my life...and I'm in the army. I am a professional, army-trained saxophonist. Alto saxophonist, to be exact.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I get paid more than $30AUS an hour to borrow books and grab any movies I want before anyone else does.
    <.<
    >.>

*flee*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Everybody in unison!

We love you Serpentine!
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well that wasn't the response I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8

Was it more along the lines of "DAMN YOU SERPY!!!!!!!!!!! You get paid more for watching movies than I do doing X labour for y hours more than I should *shakes fists in rage*"?

And on that note; DAMN YOU SERPY!!!
    Last edited by Frojoe21; 2008-02-03 at 07:41 AM.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I work in a deli. At a Wal-Mart.

*dodges bricks*

I get paid more than my supervisor to do much, much less than he does.

*dodges buicks*
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

School
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I used to work for an ISP at the help desk. Never underestimate how stupid people can be. It really didn't help that the ISP was horrible unethical and was screwing their customers over to make more money, either.

EDIT: Serpentine, I want your job. Tell me how it is you manage to do that.
    Last edited by Nebo_; 2008-02-03 at 09:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Volunteered at my local library one day a week for a couple of years.
    Dad (who works with the Gold Coast City Council) told me that they were looking for more casual library assistants - would hire as many applicants as were good enough. Applied, along with two or three other people. Was the only one hired (damn the others must've sucked...). Worked at various GC librarys for a few months. Technically am still employed by them... Need to ask dad whether I should officially quit.
    Took resume into town library here. Was thanked for "making my resume available". Timed it well - my now-colleagues had been nagging my now-boss to hire another person for Saturdays for a few months. Called up several times. Was given the job, told he would do the paperwork then get back to me. Waited some weeks. Called again. Told I had to do a medical. Did medical. Waited for him to do the paperwork again. FINALLY was given the job, did training days, started first day of work on the day of the state elections. Trial by fire. Still doing okay.
    Now that you're all asleep... Done. Well, you did ask *shrug*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm blissfully unemployed now, but I worked for a long time in a warehouse.

Specifically, the Cingular/AT&T warehouse here in Memphis. The pay was decent (for an unskilled laborer position), but when there's a clear divide between how hard you are working and how hard everyone else is... it makes for an unpleasant work experience.

Left to return to school. I consider myself "retired" now. I'll work again when I can do something in my field (Physics) so I've got a while.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

I once had a job folding sweaters...

It was during a major sale at a store. People would fling these godawful sweaters all over the place and I had to fold them up nicely again....
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

15. - Top - End - #15

I have the quintessential first job paperboy. Yes I am a 15 year old paperboy. I freeze my beep off for about $70 a month. I wish I could get a better job but I have to watch my little sister, and since everyone else in my family dont have a steady hours(9-5) I cant work In a normal job cause there has to someone home with my 7 year old sister.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    It's something I love doing, and I don't find it pathetic, but my friends always laugh about it. I'm in the army.

You have to understand, I'm a bit below average height, a lot below average strength, I'd be awful in any warlike situation, wouldn't be able to hold a gun to save my life...and I'm in the army. I am a professional, army-trained saxophonist. Alto saxophonist, to be exact.
    Cool I play alto in marching band

I had a job last summer caddying at a country club..........................I would wait for 4 hours for someone to come then they would gice me a 35 lb bag to carry and only use one of two clubs.

Never Again
    Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm a house wife now, but before I worked as a Newspaper Add inserter. ...so basicly I put the adds in your newspaper...enjoy...it sucked.

I came home coveredin ink, and I was up all nihgt. I had to Skip D&D half the time because I worked all 7 days a week.

I'm so glad I married a rich husband (I didn't know he was rich till about 6 month after we got married and I was going nuts with my job. He told me to quit...THEN I found out he had a few million tucked away from his mother's busnesses....)

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Eggy has (in no particular order) been a Macburgermonkey, worked in cold-call telesales, been a customer services drone, worked an IT helpdesk, been a engineering design office junior, laid asphalt, stacked shelves, rode the dot.com wave, done bar work, been a cathedral tour guide, washed dishes, been a gift wrapper, worked as a kiddies party entertainer, done stints as a classroom assistant and been a legal clerk.

Ask me about my resume sometime.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Eggy has (in no particular order) been a Macburgermonkey, worked in cold-call telesales, been a customer services drone, worked an IT helpdesk, been a engineering design office junior, laid asphalt, stacked shelves, rode the dot.com wave, done bar work, been a cathedral tour guide, washed dishes, been a gift wrapper, worked as a kiddies party entertainer, done stints as a classroom assistant and been a legal clerk.

Ask me about my resume sometime.
    That is... amazingly diverse. So which one did you like the most (hate the least)?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I was once a copy machine operator. It's pathetic in that you would not believe how many people can't use a copier and needed my help.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Am I the only one who gets depressed thinking about how many jobs revolve around helping people who are too dumb to use the service in the first place? Seriously, previously if someone couldn't use a computer they wouldn't buy one and would eventually revert back to their chimp ancestors and spend the rest of their life in a zoo, watched in fascination by people with half a brain. Now they buy computers and call the help line who tells them that they have to plug it in before using it.
    Last edited by bugsysservant; 2008-02-03 at 12:57 PM.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

22. - Top - End - #22

Hey, I don't want those folks in my zoo. Some zoo animals are smart. The orangs here dissembled the air conditioning unit in their enclosure, which left a giant hole, allowing them to walk out. That's darn impressive.

As is, so far I've been really lucky with my jobs. I've worked with kids and animals and both are great. It's that tv business I avoid.
    Character Stats

Phoenixineohp avatar by Trog!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Tialait View Post
    I'm a house wife now, but before I worked as a Newspaper Add inserter. ...so basicly I put the adds in your newspaper...enjoy...it sucked.

I came home coveredin ink, and I was up all nihgt. I had to Skip D&D half the time because I worked all 7 days a week.

I'm so glad I married a rich husband (I didn't know he was rich till about 6 month after we got married and I was going nuts with my job. He told me to quit...THEN I found out he had a few million tucked away from his mother's busnesses....)
    Yoinks and jinkies! You didnt know? Thats a nice honeymoon bonus to find out.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Cool I play alto in marching band
    I don't play when we have marching gigs...I just march and move my fingers to look like I do!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I sell stuff to plumbers.

If you've ever talked to a plumber for more than 10 minutes, you'll see why my eye twitches sometimes. Plus I live in NYC so 50% of them speak English second. And the other ones are cheap, poisoned, and/or high.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Well, time to pull out the old resume:
    • Lifeguard in High School and College - If you ever wonder why I don't like swimming that much anymore, think about what I have seen while lifeguarding and what I have had to clean up.

Yeah.
    • Gym Attendant in College - Washing towels, checking people in, being bored out of my skull.
    • Computer Technician for College Library - These people go to the same TECHNICAL school I go to?!?
    • Technical Writer Intern - Wait, when do I actually get to do writing and not correcting all these little make-work things because you hired me too late and I was the only person desperate enough to accept the position?
    • Unemployment - Boo!
    • Second Shift Computer Replacer - Upgrading computers in various places for a power company (nice offices, coal factories, you name it I was there). Lovely for killing my sleep schedule.
    • More Unemployment. Can I get a second "BOO!"
    • Drive Tester for T-Mobile - Driving in my own car, not getting paid enough to keep up with repairs going "Can you hear me now can you hear me now?" (okay, my equipment did that for me, but it was a LOT of driving, some in nice areas, others in horrible crime infested areas of cities where I was cutting off COPS in order to get out of there before I got carjacked).
    • Yet another round of unemployment!
    • Second shift book scanner - So I am using my new college degree by scanning books second shift for a little above minimum wage.
    • Helpdesk for AAA - Slightly better, except for the 55 mile drive EACH WAY EVERY DAY! Oh wait - You are ending my contract early, for no reason, on a Tuesday, via a voicemail?
    • Yet Even More Unemployment

Luckily I landed my dream job, been there for over 4 months and I don't think I am going anywhere for a long long long time.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

27. - Top - End - #27

Last summer I worked at a public transportation company in their call centre where I provided information to people who called - schedules, routes, station information, etc. What a thankless job. Most people never thank you, quite a few yell at you if there's a delay or you give them a schedule you don't like, you're always repeating yourself because no one writes down the information the first time, and so on. Oh, and people are idiots. I have no idea how some people get through the day without someone holding their hand and guiding them through everything.
    Leech Link by The Randomizer
    Spoiler
    Show

Rorschach & Smiley Face avatars by Djinn_In_Tonic.
    Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band avatar by ben101.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Pathetic Jobs in the Playground

wow, some of these really suck, i feel so sorry for you people

im sure school is one of the worst occupations thought
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm a hustler. I make less than all of you, my job is traumatizing, and I'm all but guaranteed to die young. I win the thread.

I mean, it's not like, my occupation (I'm hopelessly unemployed - on my passport it says "poet translator") but sometimes certain things need paid for. Ain't nobody else gonna pay 'em. *shrug*

It's actually pretty okay, except when it gets dangerous. God, some guy tried to kill me the other night. I mean, he didn't try very hard (I mean, obviously, considering that I'm sitting here at the PC and not in the hospital or cemetery) so I'm kind of wondering if he actually did aim to kill me or if he just wanted to feel like did, if you get what I mean. Freak.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My last job was as a "Utility Clerk" in a grocery store. Basically it means "bag the groceries, herd the carts, and do whatever other small tasks nobody else would get paid to do". Boring pointless work, stupid customers, and minimum wage. Sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow
    It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.
    Roleplaying experience?