New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power of Choice

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Power of Choice

If you could choose to have the powers of a character from any system, what system and what powers would you choose?

For example, would you choose the powers of a D&D Cleric, because you love the idea of animating or raising the dead? Would you choose Mutants & Masterminds, because you love the idea of duplicating yourself, and taking advantage of the facts that the duplicates need not be identical, to be able to commit crimes? Or Mutants & Masterminds, because you love the idea of duplicating yourself, then having all your duplicates summon, so you can throw *millions* of creatures at any problem?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Power of Choice

If we can go as broad as a 'cleric' (meaning having spellcasting and turn/rebuke powers thereof), as opposed to just one power/spell, I suppose I'd go with a World of Darkness mage. Have magic to help out when important, and could augment my income with creating diamonds via Matter to sell at thrift stores or using Entropy to win at gambling. (I'd still keep a mundane job to look normal.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    If you could choose to have the powers of a character from any system, what system and what powers would you choose?

For example, would you choose the powers of a D&D Cleric, because you love the idea of animating or raising the dead? Would you choose Mutants & Masterminds, because you love the idea of duplicating yourself, and taking advantage of the facts that the duplicates need not be identical, to be able to commit crimes? Or Mutants & Masterminds, because you love the idea of duplicating yourself, then having all your duplicates summon, so you can throw *millions* of creatures at any problem?
    I find it interesting the examples you chose are about creating undead and doing illegal acts.

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I would definitely go with reality control from the Marvel Rpg (the one with the cards). It is strong, flexible, and can be very subtle and is not overpowering like magic from DnD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd be an Order of Hermes magus from Ars Magica. They have just about the most convenient collection of magical abilities that you're going to find.

Also characters in the game begin apprenticeships as young as age eight and they continue to work diligently on their magical arts well into their 200's when there is no overriding reason for them to do so. If you've put in a good hard century at the study of the Hermetic arts there isn't anyone on earth who can afford to not take you seriously. You'd be just fine sitting back on a beach and sipping fancy drinks while hanging out with pretty girls. You can still break the world over your knee even if you don't ever put more sweat equity into your suite of spells and enchanted devices. Yet they all still head back to the laboratory and the library every single season they can, every single magus or maga. From this I deduce that being a magus has got to be more fun than darn near anything.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You need to define some kind of limits, or we'd just choose any high-powered character who can do anything:

1. A high-Chutzpah, low-Smarts Toon character, who can convince anybody of anything, and can do anything impossible just by failing a Smarts roll.

2. Somebody with a Cosmic Power Pool from Champions.

3. A 17th level Magic-User from original D&D, who can cast a Wish every day, without it costing XP or money.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

One Minions and master mind hero with an power array with 1024 powers(costs the cost of the most costly power +10) and take stuff like the ability to create universes.
    The worse is that it would cost only 80 points.
    The other possibility would be the power to cast dnd3.5 wish as a SLA for after getting one item giving all the powers at infinite CL.
    Last edited by noob; 2015-10-14 at 01:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take one omnipotence please. Barring that any high-level time manipulation, that allows me to both travel back/forth through time and control my own aging. Barring that any run of the mill ageless will do. Barring that I guess I'll just take the worlds highest Charisma/Wealth scores possible.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Marvel Super Powers (FASERIP), chart #3, Incredible Intelligence, Hyper-Intelligence at Incredible level. That should do nicely.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd probably go with the power of a Solar Exalted. If I get bored with doing something else on this list but better, I'll just switch to a better version of someone else's choice. Including omnipotence.
    Only when one becomes the juncture of a meeting of two forces can one begin to understand either...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I probably should go with the whole immorality or omnipotence thing, but then I remember that Spelljammer exists and how hilarious it is. The temptation to introduce in space owls and see people freak out about them is far too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I probably should go with the whole immorality or omnipotence thing, but then I remember that Spelljammer exists and how hilarious it is. The temptation to introduce in space owls and see people freak out about them is far too high.
    If you're Omnipotent you can introduce all space owls you want. Plus also make an entire planet made of Ice Cream.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've always wanted to be able to make copies of myself, like Michael Keaton in Multiplicity.... although it might be hard to convince myself that he (I) only exists to do homework and go to family reunions.
    Last edited by Piedmon_Sama; 2015-10-14 at 03:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    If you're Omnipotent you can introduce all space owls you want. Plus also make an entire planet made of Ice Cream.
    A very good point, indeed. Somehow using another setting to create Spelljammer seems oddly appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmon_Sama View Post
    I've always wanted to be able to make copies of myself, like Michael Keaton in Multiplicity.... although it might be hard to convince myself that he (I) only exists to do homework and go to family reunions.
    You need some sort of mind magic or memory altering stuff, clearly, for this to work.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #15

That's inadvisable.... if I had the power to cloud men's minds and the power to make perfect copies of myself, how would I ever be certain I wasn't the copy....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

That's inadvisable.... if I had the power to cloud men's minds and the power to make perfect copies of myself, how would I ever be certain I wasn't the copy....
    Probably none. But you could make yourself the BEST copy. Perfect hair, great teeth, a literal photographic memory, a run speed to make cheetahs weep...As long as you are in the one in charge, who cares?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A D&D 3.5 level 20 sorcerer. I wouldn't have as many spells as a wizard but I would still ludicrously powerful and I wouldn't have to spend hours poring over a spell book.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I would go with something that's less combat-based and more social- or comforts-based.

Instead of being able to throw fireballs and bring down lightning, which is of little use IRL, I would rather be able to Create Delicious & Nutritious Food and Drinks, as well as conjure a comfortable mansion I can take around with me. Perhaps I could get the equivalent of having 80 Cha, and get to succeed at Diplomancy and Bluff checks all the time. Pretty sure it's rather powerful in RL, though for some reason I can't come up with any examples at the moment.

Reality-warping is cool though

19. - Top - End - #19

I'd want the dark arts. Not because I wanna be evil or take over the world or even be that much of a ****, I just want the means to get things done that I wanna do, and the dark arts always have some kind of answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

20. - Top - End - #20

Telekinesis, there is litteraly nothing that cannot be done with sufficiently powerful and precise degree of telekinesis. Nothing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

StP Erudite; all the power of the top 3 of the big 6 at a thought. Reality is my bitch.

I'm not power mad or anything but the ability to tweak.... anything.... at a thought means that whatever problems I have, aren't problems.... ever.

Food, 7pp.

Weather's bad, 13pp

I need to be on the other side of town right now, 9pp

I need to be here and there at the same time, 13pp

Some pig-headed moron won't stop bugging me, 3pp and he can't perceive my existence.

Spell version telekinesis says stuff moves for me and tk force says I can break just about anything if I lay down enough power while mending and the repair damage spells say I can fix anything.

Self healing powers say that injury is a non-issue and healing spells say I can patch up my friends and family.

It's way, way overpowered for a game but it makes life a mental exercise you can crush, no problem.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    Telekinesis, there is litteraly nothing that cannot be done with sufficiently powerful and precise degree of telekinesis. Nothing.
    You'd get fat!

23. - Top - End - #23

You'd get fat!
    You could work your muscles out with the telekinesis. A telekinetic who's read comics knows that tactile TK is a valuable trick to pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    You could work your muscles out with the telekinesis. A telekinetic who's read comics knows that tactile TK is a valuable trick to pick up.
    You'd get clumsy!

25. - Top - End - #25

You'd get clumsy!
    Nope, there's no reason why you couldn't exercise your fine motorcontrol via telekinesis, you might even improve it by optimizing the distribution of nerves throughout your body/rearrange the neurons in your brain.

26. - Top - End - #26

Nope, there's no reason why you couldn't exercise your fine motorcontrol via telekinesis, you might even improve it by optimizing the distribution of nerves throughout your body/rearrange the neurons in your brain.
    You'd develop myopia!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

There are really only three powers I need to be satisfied:

1) Perfect, at will, error-free, unlimited-range, take-along-with-you-anything/one-you-touch-without-weight-or-size-limit teleportation. (If I could only have one, this would be it.)

2) Temporal distortion ability: turn eight seconds into eight hours for a good sleep anytime I want, turn several hours into several seconds so I can basically skip forward in time, go into "bullet time" whenever actual bullets are present, etc. (SUPER convenient, and also a safety measure.)

3) Controllable healing factor - I don't want to be ageless, I just want to not be hurt. This way I can go into dangerous situations without fear.

So, anything that grants me those three powers. But some nice bonuses to have, since we're including things like omnipotence...

A) Perfect, finely-controllable, programmable telekinesis. Useful for doing manual labor, fun, or flight.
    B) Ability to create and control variable-property fire: it only burns what I want and contorts itself however I want.
    C) Creation of objects (even small, like clothing, will do).
    D) The effects of the D&D 3.5 Prestidigitation spell.
    E) The ability to heal others.
    F) And maybe the ability to make magical fuel to replace fuel sources.

This would be my full power set if I were a superhero. I've given it a lot of thought.

28. - Top - End - #28

You'd develop myopia!
    Nope, manipulate the eye structure to correct for it, or if you're feeling like showing off, adjust photons path until things resolve clearly.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition, no doubt. I'm not sure exactly what I would choose but I would certainly come up with something.
    Signatures are so 90's.

30. - Top - End - #30

Nope, manipulate the eye structure to correct for it, or if you're feeling like showing off, adjust photons path until things resolve clearly.
    You'd get dazzled!