Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Durance Inn (Through the Faerie Ring OOC)

Post your sheets and details here guys. Anyone not in the initial six can keep working on your sheets, chatting, keeping up to date and general bull****. I like general bull**** in my OOCs, means folks are here.

Premise

Spoiler
    Show
    A full moon hangs in the darkening skies above; the silver orb girt by stars like diamonds studding the red and blues of sunset. A winding path has been trampled through the wheat fields and long grass . It snakes past the farms on the periphery of the backwater township where you have spent the past few days. There it meets the wooded foothills of the vale's mountain girdle. Throughout the day the path has been trampled into the soft dirt and mud-- a gift of fall's first rainfall-- by hundreds of feet as townspeople make their way into the hills.

As night falls, the pilgrimage has slowed from a constant trickle to nothing. People must wake early to get the crops in, and no fireside dance will change that, even if it does make the crops come in better. Besides, who wants to be nursing that hangover without a good nights sleep. Besides, who knows what comes out at night?

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. Durance Crossing is a small and quiet town in the middle of a chaotic country; a good central place to meet and nothing more. But gods above! The drink they brew here! Whatever the local moonshine is, it is stronger than anything you have ever tasted. They said it's made with apples. Well, mostly apples, anyway. And what is the harm in participating in the ritual a bit? At the minimum you will blend in better and have some time to catch up in private...

And the path gives way to old cobbles, sparse and worn smooth by centuries of ritual; a beaten path into the woods. When you reach the clearing the sky has darkened to deep midnight shades and the moon shines bright above. The bonfire that roared through the day is smoldering embers now, and the clearing is strewn with empty bottles.

And rising above the ashen pyre are the dolmens. A circle of old stone pillars, roughly hewn and coated with ages-old moss and lichens. Some stand like gates, one slab perched above two more. The long grass has been beaten down by dancing feet around the old stones, but none have crossed the threshold.

The people of Durance Crossing speak in hushed whispers of the dolmens, though none seem to know why. Some say they are the grave of old kings. Others say sleeping giants rest beneath the hill. Still others say it is where they fey steal through at night to snatch children back to their winter realms, and they quickly touch iron afterward.

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. And it seems like a good place to sit and enjoy the drink.

It does taste a bit of apples now, doesn't it? Well, mostly apples...

And now one of you has started another bonfire, though the bright moonlight seems to have washed the colors out. It's too pale. But the drink is flowing strong one someone started singing. You never would have guessed he had such a singing voice. Which of them is that now? Your head is spinning.

Oh well, there were more bottles. Nothing another nip won't fix.

And now you are dancing, because someone was singing, and because it's tradition and seemed like a good idea at the time. And above the stars are wheeling, unless that's just your pounding head, and as you dance about the landscape seen through the dolmen gates seems to dance and shift with you. And someone is singing again but there seem to be too many voices and the laughing sounds off and everything is spinning and fading.

Fading to black...

And you finally open your eyes in a field of gold and purple grass under a blazing aurora in a violet sky studded with unfamiliar stars and far milder temperatures than the early fall you remembered. And your head is pounding but you are sober, sober enough to realize you are not in Durance Crossing anymore.

Though where you are now...

Well, that's anyone's guess.

Through the Faerie Ring

Spoiler: Table and Timeline
    Show
    Player Character Race Class Age Gender Languages
    whoiam Alauniira'a Drow Wizard 92 Female Common, Drow Sign Language, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Sylvan, Undercommon
    Nightraiderx Zeeke Hawthorne Human Stalker 22 Male Common, Drow Sign Language, Sylvan
    senrath Drake McKilligan Human Warblade 27 Male Common, Drow Sign Language, Dwarven, Elven
    Jeff the Green Damon Emberkin Aasimar Factotum 73 Male Common, Dwarven, Elvish, Infernal, Sylvan

Backstory Timeline
    • 1065 - Alauniira'a born to a Matron Mother and a strategist from the Drow-Dwarven Wars
    • 1084 - Damon born Squire Res and (mother unstated)
    • 1130 - Drake McKilligan born to a bodyguard and a baker
    • 1135 - Zeeke Hawthorne born to a father of unstated occupation and a baker (presumably not the same one as Drake...)
    • 1137 - Manny Redfield born to poor parents
    • 1145 - Alauniira'a came to the surface as a human/drow treaty guarantee hostage (shortly after her 80th birthday)
    • 1145 - Damon enters a Seldarine Seminary at his father's urging.
    • 1146 - Drake McKilligan joins the militia at age 16, and is assigned as Alauniira'a's guard
    • 1147 - Alauniira'a goes to study at a Wizard's Guild.
    • 1147 - Drake decides militia life is not for him, and strikes out as a freelancer.
    • 1147 - Damon is 'invited' to leave the Seminary and return to his family.
    • 1155 - Alauniira'a graduates as a fully certified wizard, and chooses to wander the human lands for a time.
    • 1156 - Manny Redfield (now 19) is taken from his hometown by a passing Alauniira'a (indulging his desire for information about magic and elves in return for having a human along on her travels... just in case.)
    • 1156.5 - Alauniira'a and Drake run into each other on their travels. Alauniira'a introduces Drake and Manny to one another, and Drake agrees to travel with them for a time.
    • 1157 - Zeeke visits Durance Crossing.
    • 1157 - Following a suggestion of Manny's, Alauniira'a, Drake and Manny arrive at Durance Crossing for the festival...

Spoiler: General stuff-- if inactive, wat do?
    Show

Now then, after ripping WhoIam's data entries, I'd like to just propose some basic policy for keeping things working. I will try to post 2x/week, but I have a bat**** insane schedule and sometimes it might slip through. This game will be fairly slow paced due to that. The OOC is for communication then. If you aren't posting because you don't have anything to say in the current situation, please just chime in 1/week in the OOC to say you are breathing and interested. Otherwise I assume the worst and if no one is posting rather than give a nudge I'll assume it's dead.

Likewise, if the party is split and I am focusing too much on one side, please say so in the OOC. Don't let me neglect a number of players until they fall out and contribute to 'it's dead, jim' syndrome.

If y'all want to discuss narrative elements you'd think would be pretty cool to include, put them here. Help me build a funky story.

Collected Lore

Spoiler: Song, Name and Fire
    Show

In the first age of the world, nameless gods reigned supreme. Born of the eternal pure fire of will they shaped the world and men as they desired, and mortal flesh and craft was as dust before them. Then Ur-Kadesh, the first mortal hero discovered the secrets of iron and the Song and drove the gods back into the howling dark beyond the world.

Sages say the Song was the first verse that the universe was sang from, and contains the knowledge and mastery of of all things in its cadences. The myths say that only Ur-Kadesh ever knew the song in its entirety, and strode the earth greater than the gods that he shattered in his wake. No one since has bore that power. But it's echoes are another story.

Fragments of the Song are Verses and Names, Verses being a collection of Names in sequence. Each Name reflects and interacts with the world at a fundamental level, and speaking a Name is to give yourself power over the world-song within the bounds of that Name. One who knows the Name of the wind for instance could call down a tempest or ride the wind or still a storm with but a word and a will.

Those who knew Names were Namers, and the Sorcerer-Kings of the second age were all masters of Naming. Each was said to know a thousand Names and thirteen Great Verses. In most cases, the art perished with them.

Arcana as it is known today is an echo of an echo. The words to spells are for the most part twisted reflections of True Names. They encompass part of a name, but not its whole. A spell to create a wall of wind brings forth a number of inflections that touch on the edges of wind's true name, but in a limited capacity. All spells are defined effects born out of the shadow of Naming.

But those are not the only magics. There are the ill talked about blood rites done in the shadow of the moon, dark rites to appease the memories of gods best left forgotten. There are druidic chants and dances that combined the faint traces of nature's echoing names with the power of natural forces to give them fury. There are hedge magics and grammaries and above all in these days of paltry magics, alchemy, which distills unbound principles and concepts from base materials...

Spoiler: The Rod of Iron
    Show
    Two secret powers liberated the mortal world from nameless gods; Song and Iron. The Song was of the same dreamstuff of the gods, chaotic and formless, it was an untamed fire bound by words. Iron was its antithesis. Iron is solid, firm and enduring. It holds an edge and shatters stone or bronze. When you cannot believe in gods, you can believe in iron. It's real and inevitable in a way magic will never be.

Perhaps that is why magic has such difficulty changing iron. Spells that work on other metals break and slither away when cast against iron. Magic is drawn from dream and fantasy. Iron is all too real.

With the unbreakable might of iron and the burning notes of the Song on high, the gods were driven back into the howling dark, or into the deep places of the earth, to sleep under hills and barrows until their names and power passed from memory. And so die old gods.

The Song too is memory, Song, Verse and Name have all but vanished from the world, and all other magics dwindled with them. On the other hand, the supremacy of iron has marched forward unhindered. Smithys turned out iron sword, then iron mail, then iron cannon. Foundries and factories have girt the world with chains of iron. Iron has tamed the last frontiers and measured all knowable distances. Engines and furnace and steam spell out the shape of the future.

It is a future wrought in iron and steel, hard edged and solid and all too real.

What place can magic find in such a world?

The elves are some of the last holders of arcane might in the world, and even they are a fading ember of past glories. From traditionalist roots they shun new technologies. Industrialization has no place in elven society. Is it their magic or their fey ancestry that causes them to feel the sting of iron? Many sages have asked that question.

Dwarven smiths and human soldiers care little for the sages' answers, for they have put their trust in tools of iron.

As to legends of the fey, they are all to often enmeshed with fantasy and dreams. Is it any wonder they cannot bear the burning kiss of steel?
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2016-01-19 at 08:46 AM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Durance Inn (Through the Faerie Ring OOC)

(1d20+4)[8]

Red for speech.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"I call blue."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Init" - (1d20+2)[12]

Alauniira'a speaks in Dark Grey

5. - Top - End - #5

While we're on the subject of players falling out and games dying... let it be known that I have never abandoned a game, and even if I'm not posting, I'm still checking subscriptions twice a day. If I'm giving up on us, or going away for an extended period, I'll either post in the OOC or update my signature.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Drake is a fan of purple.

Init - (1d20+2)[12]
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Calling Dark Green for Manny

And rolling (1d20+6)[13]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that's what I get for not checking my email. Damon will talk in Golden Rod.

Init: (1d20+8)[21]

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    How about a trip down into Drow lands when Damon was younger? Res could have tried marrying Damon into a Drow court, only to abandon that plan (and switch for marrying Damon to a surface elf) when he found that women inherit power in preference to men down there, there'd be no lands or title from marrying a Drow. Still, it would give him a chance to meet Alauniira'a (probably via flirting with her cloud of older, prettier sisters and half-sisters) early on. Then Alauniira'a could have found her route to Durance Crossing passing by his home, and decided to stop by with her friends to see just where the surfacer had come from...

(At which point I suspect he would have jumped at the opportunity to accompany Alauniira'a, Drake and Manny to the festival at Durance Crossing. He doesn't strike me as needing much encouragement to visit somewhere that promises drunk women. He also strikes me as a) a candidate for being a linking character between the two parties that are building up, probably by knowing Alauniira'a and Anthony, and b)exactly the type of person who would encourage the usually reserved wizard into getting drunk at just the wrong time...)
    I was thinking of something along that line, though the plan was to marry off Damon's brother. He'd be along and flirting indiscriminately anyway. It's also entirely possible that the wizard guild and seminary were in the same city and Alauniira'a was one of the many elf women Damon smuggled into his room or one of the few he failed in persuading to be smuggled.

Alternatively to just passing through on your way to Durance Crossing, y'all could have been guests at Damon's manor house, and he invited you to visit Durance Crossing's festival, which he is absolutely familiar with. He is/was planning on going hunting in the area after he recovered from his hangover, which is why he has all his guns, survival equipment, and hunting animals with him.

Maybe we should describe our characters' capabilities?

Damon is primarily a skill monkey. He can do just about anything competently, but is best at nimble stuff and Knowledges. He can also make just about anything given time and materials, and is competent in the woods. He also skirmishes, with a bunch of guns at hand, Knowledge Devotion and Int to damage (and next level Craven). (Not to Anthony's level, but well enough.) Finally, he can cast any 1st-level Sor/Wiz spell as an SLA (2nd-level next level). (Wholam, you can take advantage of that for crafting scrolls.)

DoctorGlock, what do you think about merging PBS and Precise Shot or making the latter not require the former? The feat tax is obnoxious. Likewise, how about the variant aasimar ability to subsist entirely on honey and wine? Normally you have to roll for it, but it says "ask your DM" if you want a specific one. You trade out your SLA for it, and it seems appropriate for a spoiled nobleman.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2015-10-16 at 02:06 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative Roll (1d20+7)[17]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    While we're on the subject of players falling out and games dying... let it be known that I have never abandoned a game, and even if I'm not posting, I'm still checking subscriptions twice a day. If I'm giving up on us, or going away for an extended period, I'll either post in the OOC or update my signature.
    Sadly my record's not *quite* that good, but I don't think I've ever been the first player to drop (I've been the first to drop once or twice as a DM, that's one of the major reasons I don't generally run games anymore. If you can't even convince yourself you'll do a good job, you probably shouldn't be doing it...).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I was thinking of something along that line, though the plan was to marry off Damon's brother. He'd be along and flirting indiscriminately anyway. It's also entirely possible that the wizard guild and seminary were in the same city and Alauniira'a was one of the many elf women Damon smuggled into his room or one of the few he failed in persuading to be smuggled.
    In general, Alauniira'a's going to have spent her time on the surface turning down Damon's sorts of 'offers'. Drow Women do have a certain reputation in the surface lands that Alauniira'a's trying not to live up to... Of course, if Damon has met her in the underdark, he'll know that the reputation is fairly well-earned. 'Surface' Alauniira'a is just trying to meet the human cultural expectation of ladylike behavior half-way, which means suppressing the rather liberal, predatory and indiscriminate mating activities she would have considered normal back home...

That said, Alauniira'a's choice of wizard guild is probably nowhere near Damon's home, since he lives somewhere adjoining elven lands, and Alauniira'a wouldn't deliberately put herself near to them long-term - Drow and Humans get along fine, so do Elves and Humans. Drow and Elves hate each other. For the same reason, any attempt to invite her back to an Elven seminary would result in utter, utter failure, even if he had persuaded her it wasn't an attempt at 'playing' with her...

For that matter, if Damon left the seminary a decade ago (you did mention it's been a decade since he was asked to leave), then he left seminary at more or less the same point Alauniira'a went into guild training. So there's not much of an overlap there.

(I'm happy for it to be one of Damon's brothers that was looking for a wife down in the Underdark. Presumably it would have ended in failure either way when the drow ladies turned out to be pretty different from typical surface noblewomen... Still, since Damon would have seen her and her siblings when he was down here, the Alauniira'a in the underdark was a lot less... well behaved... then she would be 20 years later on the surface. With no need to make a good impression on her human 'allies', she'd have been a lot more playful back then. That said, by Drow standards she was always a studious introvert - but considering the relative standards of the two cultures, 'studious' is the only one of those she would have qualified for under human standards.)

Alternatively to just passing through on your way to Durance Crossing, y'all could have been guests at Damon's manor house, and he invited you to visit Durance Crossing's festival, which he is absolutely familiar with. He is/was planning on going hunting in the area after he recovered from his hangover, which is why he has all his guns, survival equipment, and hunting animals with him.
    The main reason I wouldn't suggest that being a great idea is that if you were a local, you really should have known better than the whole drunken standing stones thing... Us picking you up along the way means you're far enough from Durance Crossing not to realize what we're about to do is stupid. But not necessarily so far away that you'd leave your hunting stuff behind when travelling the countryside...

Maybe we should describe our characters' capabilities?

Damon is primarily a skill monkey. He can do just about anything competently, but is best at nimble stuff and Knowledges. He can also make just about anything given time and materials, and is competent in the woods. He also skirmishes, with a bunch of guns at hand, Knowledge Devotion and Int to damage (and next level Craven). (Not to Anthony's level, but well enough.) Finally, he can cast any 1st-level Sor/Wiz spell as an SLA (2nd-level next level). (Wholam, you can take advantage of that for crafting scrolls.)
    By RAW, Alauniira'a cannot scribe scrolls of spells she does not know. (It's in the feat description, she has to know the spell herself to make a scroll of it.) Though the trick may come in handy if she picks up 'Craft Wondrous Item'....

Alauniira'a's a wizard. *shrug* She's intended as something of a generalist (which is why I took Domain Wizard instead of a specialist), but we'll see how her spellbook evolves as we adventure. She has a gun, but it's more for deterrence than anything - she's not especially good with it. Still, she has some ammo along that the better shots can probably borrow from her if they're running low.

She does have a decent sideline in Cha skills - she ties Anthony for the party's highest Diplomacy check (at +11), but has Perform skills (Oratory and Dance) trained instead of the Sense Motive he sports (and doesn't get his 1/day reroll on Diplomacy checks).

(So Alauniira'a as the 'Good' Diplomat to Anthony's 'Bad' Diplomat looks like our best bet for talking to strangers...)

11. - Top - End - #11

Anthony's strengths:

Firing two guns from a sneaky position and getting sneak attack dice as extra damage; feinting from range to get opponents flat-footed and get sneak attack.
    Disable device
    Diplomacy
    Intimidate
    Sleight of Hand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I'm building Manny to be fairly competent in melee combat, but his class abilities let him basically become whatever we need at the moment, whether it be another front-line, some ranged harass, or another spellcaster.

Provided it's something I've seen of course.

Oh, and something I forgot to ask, since for the timeline I've been traveling with Alauniira for a decent amount of time, would it be fine if I put "Drow" as one of my notes for my Notebook class feature? Assuming I had done so sometime before the "story" started.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The main reason I wouldn't suggest that being a great idea is that if you were a local, you really should have known better than the whole drunken standing stones thing... Us picking you up along the way means you're far enough from Durance Crossing not to realize what we're about to do is stupid. But not necessarily so far away that you'd leave your hunting stuff behind when travelling the countryside...
    Pffft. Those are peasant superstitions. Besides, at that point in the evening Damon's probably too drunk to remember it anyway.

By RAW, Alauniira'a cannot scribe scrolls of spells she does not know. (It's in the feat description, she has to know the spell herself to make a scroll of it.) Though the trick may come in handy if she picks up 'Craft Wondrous Item'....
    By RAW, however, Damon can "borrow" Alauniira's Scribe Scroll to meet the prerequisites, which I think would work out.

She does have a decent sideline in Cha skills - she ties Anthony for the party's highest Diplomacy check (at +11), but has Perform skills (Oratory and Dance) trained instead of the Sense Motive he sports (and doesn't get his 1/day reroll on Diplomacy checks).
    Strictly speaking, that honor goes to Damon as he can add his Intelligence to any skill he's trained in. The only party skills he can't match or beat are Anthony's/Zeeke's Perception and Sense Motive and Zeeke's Profession and Heal, though he has to spend an Inspiration Point and it's 1/day/skill.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I have herbal knowledge and survival.
    I'm the damn cook afterall.
    Scout with stealth and perception.

Melee combat is the main proficiency, focusing on skirmishing movement and...
    POISONS!! ranks in heal for mundane fixing up but as we are now, seems we do not have any magical healing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    POISONS!! ranks in heal for mundane fixing up but as we are now, seems we do not have any magical healing.
    Wands. I recommend everyone chip in 125 gp for a wand of lesser vigor. That's a total of 550 hp of healing. We can just say it's Damon's since he's rich and you're not, but it will be the party's.

Next level Damon can also heal 45 hp/day (increasing by 6 each level).
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2015-10-16 at 11:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishLanguage View Post
    Oh, and something I forgot to ask, since for the timeline I've been traveling with Alauniira for a decent amount of time, would it be fine if I put "Drow" as one of my notes for my Notebook class feature? Assuming I had done so sometime before the "story" started.
    I don't know the savant well enough to know what the Notebook class feature actually does... but Alauniira'a won't have made any attempt to keep you from studying her, so sure, as long as it won't cost her anything.

Pffft. Those are peasant superstitions. Besides, at that point in the evening Damon's probably too drunk to remember it anyway.
    It's an odd opinion for an Aasimar to have while taking a Drow out for a drink... but I suppose if Damon wants to stick his head in the sand, that's his choice

By RAW, however, Damon can "borrow" Alauniira's Scribe Scroll to meet the prerequisites, which I think would work out.
    Well, so long as it won't cost Alauniira'a anything to let you 'borrow' her crafting feat, no objection there.

Strictly speaking, that honor goes to Damon as he can add his Intelligence to any skill he's trained in. The only party skills he can't match or beat are Anthony's/Zeeke's Perception and Sense Motive and Zeeke's Profession and Heal, though he has to spend an Inspiration Point and it's 1/day/skill.
    I wasn't counting anything that's either a)situational or b)limited use. And let's be honest, being able to shade Alauniira'a and Anthony's checks by 1 point, once a day, (at the price of being 4 points behind them the rest of the day) probably doesn't make Damon our go-to party face. Not unless we only talk to one person each day, anyway.

Oh, and you missed Alauniira'a's Perform and Linguistics skills. You can't match either of those, either

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    I have herbal knowledge and survival.
    I'm the damn cook afterall.
    Scout with stealth and perception.

Melee combat is the main proficiency, focusing on skirmishing movement and...
    Ooh! Poisons. Maybe I'll get to make some use of Alauniira'a's racial 'immune to accidentally poisoning self' trait!

Wands. I recommend everyone chip in 125 gp for a wand of lesser vigor. That's a total of 550 hp of healing. We can just say it's Damon's since he's rich and you're not, but it will be the party's.

Next level Damon can also heal 45 hp/day (increasing by 6 each level).
    I've got like 2 GP left! Admittedly, I spent most of it on spells and jewellery...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Not quoting since I'm on my phone and that's a pain.

Anyway, assuming Doctor lock let's me merge PBS and Precise Shot, and refluff Nymph's Kiss, Damon probably should be primary face against fey, since he'll have the higher modifier even without inspiration. But yes, that's why I said "strictly speaking".

Perform and Linguistics don't count.

Lending Scribe Scroll won't cost anything, though if they're for scribing into your spellbook you get to pay XP and gp, obviously.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know the savant well enough to know what the Notebook class feature actually does... but Alauniira'a won't have made any attempt to keep you from studying her, so sure, as long as it won't cost her anything.
    Nothing at all. Only requirement is that I interact or spend a reasonable amount of time with a race or someone of a race(the srd lists "drinking with a dwarf for an hour, spending the night in a dwarf-run inn, or arguing with a dwarf for a few minutes." as examples).

The effect is that, when using a racial knack, I can temporarily assume the form of a Drow and gain Darkvision out to 60 ft for the duration(total number of minutes equal to 3+CHA modifier, plus 1 for every level after 1st, so [3+5+3=] 11 minutes a day, assuming I don't use my knacks for anything else. If I need it for longer, I can burn a 1/day ability to take that form for a whole hour(though I'd probably have better things to use that one).

As for wands, I actually have over 1k gp unspent. I could buy a few wands of CLW if we need some and play OOC healer :V.
    Last edited by EnglishLanguage; 2015-10-16 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Not quoting since I'm on my phone and that's a pain.

Anyway, assuming Doctor lock let's me merge PBS and Precise Shot, and refluff Nymph's Kiss, Damon probably should be primary face against fey, since he'll have the higher modifier even without inspiration. But yes, that's why I said "strictly speaking".

Perform and Linguistics don't count.

Lending Scribe Scroll won't cost anything, though if they're for scribing into your spellbook you get to pay XP and gp, obviously.
    Don't count? Really? When Zeeke's Profession skill does?

Besides, if there's a refluff of Nymph's Kiss being offered (and the refluffing doesn't stop it making you count as fey), what makes you think I wouldn't take it for Alauniira'a as well? (I totally would. I'd trade her Martial Weapon Proficiency for it. The Revolver's more an accessory than Alauniira'a's actual defence...)

I'd also be asking for relaxed entry requirements for my intended PrCs if you manage to wrangle a feat tax rebate. (Loremaster and Archmage, if the game lasts long enough). I have something like 2 discretionary feats in the first 15 levels of Alauniira'a's build...

Nothing at all. Only requirement is that I interact or spend a reasonable amount of time with a race or someone of a race(the srd lists "drinking with a dwarf for an hour, spending the night in a dwarf-run inn, or arguing with a dwarf for a few minutes." as examples).

The effect is that, when using a racial knack, I can temporarily assume the form of a Drow and gain Darkvision out to 60 ft for the duration(total number of minutes equal to 3+CHA modifier, plus 1 for every level after 1st, so [3+5+3=] 11 minutes a day, assuming I don't use my knacks for anything else. If I need it for longer, I can burn a 1/day ability to take that form for a whole hour(though I'd probably have better things to use that one).

As for wands, I actually have over 1k gp unspent. I could buy a few wands of CLW if we need some and play OOC healer :V.
    My Hero! Quickly burns the offer to remove some of Alauniira'a's jewellery in order to pay for her share of the wand

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Yes to PBS and precise, pbs is always a waste of a feat tbh. No to nymphs kiss-- BoED gets stupid interactions at times, and this game really isnt about op fu.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    Yes to PBS and precise, pbs is always a waste of a feat tbh.
    Merge the two or ignore Precise Shot's prereq?

No to nymphs kiss-- BoED gets stupid interactions at times, and this game really isnt about op fu.
    Could you elaborate? I wasn't aware of any weird interactions, and certainly not with Nymph's Kiss. It's not really about optimization as much as it's appropriate for Damon: he's a dilettante and generally charming. I'm pretty sure most people would say that FoI is more optimized than Nymph's Kiss.

How do you feel about a feat expanding his options for Arcane Dilettante to include Cleric spells to represent his delayed ability to fake what he was never able to accomplish through actual faith? Or Keen Intellect (Dragon, Int instead of Wis to Will)? Or making Deadly Aim work like 3.5 Power Attack?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Merge the two or ignore Precise Shot's prereq?

ignore prereq

Could you elaborate? I wasn't aware of any weird interactions, and certainly not with Nymph's Kiss. It's not really about optimization as much as it's appropriate for Damon: he's a dilettante and generally charming. I'm pretty sure most people would say that FoI is more optimized than Nymph's Kiss.

How do you feel about a feat expanding his options for Arcane Dilettante to include Cleric spells to represent his delayed ability to fake what he was never able to accomplish through actual faith? Or Keen Intellect (Dragon, Int instead of Wis to Will)? Or making Deadly Aim work like 3.5 Power Attack?
    I am used to seeing it used for 'look, 15 free feats! times for DCFS!'

Homebrew a feat for divine dilettante and it's fine. Deadly aim i'll keep as is-- guns are touch attacks, after all, and getting dex to damage multiple times is already on people's agendas. If they are underwhelming we can reassess later.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-10-16 at 07:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Wand of CLW bought and remaining gold adjusted.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I am used to seeing it used for 'look, 15 free feats! times for DCFS!'
    Yeah, that's why you ban DCFS, not BoED. Anyway, I like Divine Dilettante better anyway.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2015-10-16 at 11:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I didn't chime in before with my strengths, I'm at a con this weekend so I spent all day traveling and gaming. Drake's strengths are mostly hitting things, but he's decent-ish at talking to people if he has to, and he's good at survival.

Also he has a Healing Belt, which should help with the healing a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Wand of CLW bought and remaining gold adjusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    Also he has a Healing Belt, which should help with the healing a bit.
    Hugs to both of you!

Yes to PBS and precise, pbs is always a waste of a feat tbh. No to nymphs kiss-- BoED gets stupid interactions at times, and this game really isnt about op fu.
    Well, if this is a good time to ask you for boons... [Wants to use an angelic smiley, but doesn't think the forum has one]

Well, I've paid the 100GP for a familiar, but still yet to add one. I went looking through the extended lists for one that gave a bonus to Diplomacy... Long story short, about all I could find (thanks to this post) was the Mink. Which possesses a very unusual statblock for what's supposed to be a semi-aquatic animal closely related to the beaver. Also an odd choice for giving a Diplomacy bonus to, considering they're mostly solitary types. *shrug* Aaanyway, I also spot a dog further up the familiar list. It gives a bonus in Sense Motive (+3 or +2 depending on which edition of Dragon Magazine you read, apparently...), which I don't want. Can I switch the bonuses over? Leaving me to take a small fluffy dog familiar that makes Alauniira'a seem even friendlier than she actually is

I was thinking about asking for Eidetic Spellcaster as an alternative, but then I got to thinking: if I take that, then it drastically reduces my chances of getting to loot spellbooks from anyone else. So I think I'll skip that one.

Ooh, or could I get some feat pre-requisites relaxed? Alauniira'a's building towards Loremaster and Archmage, both of which require a Skill Focus feat (and several others...). Any chance I could be let off for one of those?

Hmm... Or could I get to take the Pathfinder Bard's Versatile Performance class feature as a feat? (1 feat per affected Perform skill). Not sure how well that would stack with a familiar's bonus to either Sense Motive or Diplomacy, but... well, I just want to go exploring this strange, magical world with my cute little dog, alright? (I promise not to name it Toto )

Not sure how many of those you'll let me have, but... eh, they're all on my 'nice to have' list. So no hard feelings if you turn'em down.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

What hell hath I wroth?

I think minks grant a diplo bonus when you wear them as a fancy fur coat, dogs would likely have the opposite effect, but as a huge fan of reflavoring, you may do so

I dont go after spellbooks since it's a douchey move, but be reasonable-- don't try to beat out a raging inferno with your spellbook and act surprised if it gets burned

I've gone archmage before... It's a higher level than we are likely to hit, and if we do go that far you'll have the feats anyway. PF progression.

I don't like invalidating other classes, so i never give class features as feats

Hopefully i can have an IC up soonish (next few days). I am not recycling the last one as that NPC was godawfully annoying and should have been swatted within 3 paragraphs.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Don't think I didn't consider having Desssria try and eat it. Figured it would probably count as starting the campaign off on the wrong foot, though... Plus she was way too busy dealing with her hangover to risk encouraging it to scream...

Anyway, I wasn't planning to wear not-Toto. Alauniira'a has a spider-silk dress for when she really wants to look pretty - a dog fur stole would probably just clash with it.

Alauniira'a'll be looking after her spellbook, within reason - obviously any backup copies she made are inaccessible now, so she *has* to look after it.

Domain Wizard->Loremaster->Archmage is just one of the stock Wizard builds I trot out when I haven't got anything more specific planned for a particular game (Since you can do it with nothing more than 3.5 SRD materials, it's valid in almost every game. If you take off the Domain part of the wizard, it gets into most of the rest, too). If we're not going to be hitting archmage levels even if things go well, then that eases my low-level feat pressure a little since I don't need a second Skill Focus and Spell Focus becomes optional. But if we do get that high, we're going to have a nice long chat about retraining feats

I wouldn't normally ask for another class' abilities (except maybe as a swap for some of my own), but since the PF Bard wasn't allowed for this game (you told us to use the 3.5 versions of classes that can be found in both) and Versatile Performance only appears on the PF Bard, so I figured it was worth asking. (Hmm... trade for the Wizard's bonus feats? If I'm dropping the Archmage pre-reqs I've got plenty to go around. And it's not like I was planning to scribe any scrolls...)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking about asking for Eidetic Spellcaster as an alternative, but then I got to thinking: if I take that, then it drastically reduces my chances of getting to loot spellbooks from anyone else. So I think I'll skip that one.
    Eidetic Spellcaster doesn't prevent you from looting spellbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 357
    You can learn spells normally, either through gaining levels in wizard or learning from other spellbooks.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2015-10-17 at 06:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Not directly, no. But remember that 'I'll be using the same tricks you do' warning we were given back in recruitment? If I make Alauniira'a an eidetic spellcaster, it increases the chances that any wizards we defeat in-game will be, as well. I figured it probably wasn't worth the risk.

(Plus, I'd have had to trade away Not-Toto. And that would have been a tragedy...)

Anyway, since you're here again, backstory questions!

1) Where on the timeline d'you want Damon and co's visit to the Drow to have occurred? (The human-drow war would have happened at some point between Alauniira'a's birth and Damon's, so more or less any point before Damon went to the Seminary would have worked...)
    2) How well do you want them to have known each other? Going by the relative personalities, I suspect he would have been more interested in her sisters than her - down in the underdark, she was the 'sensible' one, after all... That said... Hm, it would make sense to assign guides to the surface visitors. Seeing as how she was one of their better common speakers (and suitably noble to not count as insulting), Alauniira'a could have drawn that duty? Showing Res, Damon and one/both of his brothers around her home-town while Res tried to wrangle a fiancee for Ahab/Jacob from her legion of big sisters...

So, the way I'm currently seeing it, Alauniira'a, Manny and Drake will have been going to Durance Crossing because Manny wanted to go, and Alauniira'a and Drake had no set destination in mind. But since she happened to have known a noble family near there, she would have suggested the diversion - not so much to pick up Damon, but to drop by and see how the fiancee hunt went after their return to the surface. When she's there, Damon basically invites himself along - the festival isn't far, and wanting to see what Alauniira'a is like when she's a) not on her best behaviour for diplomatic reasons and b) drunk is definitely the sort of thing I can see Damon being interested in...

Which (unless there's something you'd like to change from that lot), leaves the one big question: How did the Alauniira'a, Damon, Drake and Manny group know the Anthony and Zeeke one?