New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Picking up Outsider Hit Die?

Im running a one-on-one game with a friend of mine, where an NPC that we affectionately refer to as the "living plot hook" is in the process of a divine ascension. Looking through Deities and Demigods (extensively), all of the gods listed have 20 outsider hit die, including the ascended mortals, St cuthbert and Vecna. So, as this NPC ascends higher, Im looking for some suggestions as to how a human character can gain outsider hit die as close to the RAW as possible. Any ideas/suggestions for the forum on this? Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Picking up Outsider Hit Die?

IIRC, HD turn into outsider HD when you become a god.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Deities aren't required to have outsider hit dice, though they miss out on some stuff if they don't, like AC. Besides, unless you have racial hit dice it's just a matter of type anyway. Looking at Deities and Demigods, Hercules, for instance, doesn't have outsider hit dice, his HD are all class despite his being typed an outsider. Wait...Vecna doesn't have Outsider hit dice OR the Outsider type....he's undead, with 20 Wizard HD and 20 Cleric HD.

And...I don't think RAW covers ascension at all, actually. The closest I can suggest is the ritual idea for gaining the half-fiendish template, though you could easily use the same thing for half-celestial.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-05-23 at 08:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, the Deities & Demigods book doesn't really give you much in the way of 'rules' for ascension.

From the descriptions in it, however, most of the deities are described as '20hd outsiders with 30 - 50 character levels'. That seems to imply (to me) that the powerful 20hd outsider is effectively their 'base creature'. I don't know of (m)any ways a character can 'pick up' creature HD.

As Jasdoif pointed out, not all of the deities have outsider hit dice - some of them merely have character levels.

I think, in the end, the ascension to god-hood is pretty much a story-based process at the discretion of the gm, as opposed to being composed of mechanical steps.

I think the most important thing to consider for a rising god is where his/her power comes from - i.e., was it merely some sort of 'unclaimed' domain, or is he/she taking it (with or without consent) from an existing deity? Again, a very story and concept based part of the game world that can have drastic implications regarding what is required for ascension.

Also, there are several questions Deities & Demigods poses at the beginning of the book that should be answered before you can really go about that sort of process. (It's basically a 'how do you want this to work in your multiverse' kind of thing.)

Sorry for the verbosity.

~PS
    Last edited by Penguinsushi; 2007-05-23 at 08:44 PM.
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Gods get 20 levels of outsider so they they gain the max amount of base attack bonus and base save bonuses before they go epic, thats the main reason.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Let him gain an Outsider HD with each level up? Just remember that the Outsider HD come first, for BAB/Save purposes. The purposes of Outsider HD for D&DG is threefold. Better BAB/Saves(before you hit the silly Epic limitations), and more HP(Maxed D8s means each HD is worth one swing of a longsword, before other modifications like Con, Str bonus to damage, etc.).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

ascended mortals don't get the 20 outsider hit dice or the 13 base natural armor.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Let him gain an Outsider HD with each level up? Just remember that the Outsider HD come first, for BAB/Save purposes. The purposes of Outsider HD for D&DG is threefold. Better BAB/Saves(before you hit the silly Epic limitations), and more HP(Maxed D8s means each HD is worth one swing of a longsword, before other modifications like Con, Str bonus to damage, etc.).
    This definitely clears up a lot as far as understanding the rationale for these gods having the outsider HD. I guess that pretty much slipped my mind. I know that RAW, base attack and saves switch at epic, but even though it doesnt come up often, everyone I game with house rules (un-houses?) that rule so they continue progressing as in pre-epic (with the logistically reasonable cap of 4 attacks from base attack per round limit). I was just thinking that since most of them lived on a plane, that's why they were outsiders, but St. Cuthbert was throwing me off...