Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Through the Faerie Ring: Beneath Foreign Stars

Spoiler: Intro, again
    Show
    A full moon hangs in the darkening skies above; the silver orb girt by stars like diamonds studding the red and blues of sunset. A winding path has been trampled through the wheat fields and long grass . It snakes past the farms on the periphery of the backwater township where you have spent the past few days. There it meets the wooded foothills of the vale's mountain girdle. Throughout the day the path has been trampled into the soft dirt and mud-- a gift of fall's first rainfall-- by hundreds of feet as townspeople make their way into the hills.

As night falls, the pilgrimage has slowed from a constant trickle to nothing. People must wake early to get the crops in, and no fireside dance will change that, even if it does make the crops come in better. Besides, who wants to be nursing that hangover without a good nights sleep. Besides, who knows what comes out at night?

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. Durance Crossing is a small and quiet town in the middle of a chaotic country; a good central place to meet and nothing more. But gods above! The drink they brew here! Whatever the local moonshine is, it is stronger than anything you have ever tasted. They said it's made with apples. Well, mostly apples, anyway. And what is the harm in participating in the ritual a bit? At the minimum you will blend in better and have some time to catch up in private...

And the path gives way to old cobbles, sparse and worn smooth by centuries of ritual; a beaten path into the woods. When you reach the clearing the sky has darkened to deep midnight shades and the moon shines bright above. The bonfire that roared through the day is smoldering embers now, and the clearing is strewn with empty bottles.

And rising above the ashen pyre are the dolmens. A circle of old stone pillars, roughly hewn and coated with ages-old moss and lichens. Some stand like gates, one slab perched above two more. The long grass has been beaten down by dancing feet around the old stones, but none have crossed the threshold.

The people of Durance Crossing speak in hushed whispers of the dolmens, though none seem to know why. Some say they are the grave of old kings. Others say sleeping giants rest beneath the hill. Still others say it is where they fey steal through at night to snatch children back to their winter realms, and they quickly touch iron afterward.

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. And it seems like a good place to sit and enjoy the drink.

It does taste a bit of apples now, doesn't it? Well, mostly apples...

And now one of you has started another bonfire, though the bright moonlight seems to have washed the colors out. It's too pale. But the drink is flowing strong one someone started singing. You never would have guessed he had such a singing voice. Which of them is that now? Your head is spinning.

Oh well, there were more bottles. Nothing another nip won't fix.

And now you are dancing, because someone was singing, and because it's tradition and seemed like a good idea at the time. And above the stars are wheeling, unless that's just your pounding head, and as you dance about the landscape seen through the dolmen gates seems to dance and shift with you. And someone is singing again but there seem to be too many voices and the laughing sounds off and everything is spinning and fading.

Fading to black...

'What are they?'

The voice comes filtering through a throbbing hangover induced haze. The world is black, though you suspect that's because you are afraid to open your eyes. Whatever was in the local drink, it packs a punch worthy of epic tales.

'The clearly aren't the Seven, the Silent Watchers, emissaries of the Cold Queen or the Witches of the Sunken City, ciridun, and thus outside your duties.'

The voices are wrong. Musical in a lilting and inhuman way. They have a cadence to them that strikes the ears in ways that mere words shouldn't.

'They smell like iron. Whatever they are, they don't belong here. Their presence stains the soil. It taints the wind and darkens the moon. Why shouldn't I dispatch them now and let their breath fly the winds and their blood renew the soil?'

'Because you will be no closer to your answers. Because the whatever they are might have seen something. Because I'll happily tell the Daonine about it. And because that one is waking up and they outnumber you six to one.' The last is accompanied by a snort a whinny and a stomp.

Damon suspects they are talking about him. He does have the severe misfortune of being awake. The throbbing in his skull is testament to that. Still, they are taking about you, you suspect, and this time is is unlikely that you have woken in a ditch with a lampshade on your head, so peeling your eyes open can't reveal anything too horrible, right?

Right.

As you blearily open your eyes the first thing to strike you is the stars. there are so many of them in the purple and lavender skies above, far more than you can remember, more and more than in the skies at the distant corners of the world where men have not brought so much light. The second is that you didn't know there was supposed to be a brilliant Aurora burning in the skies in flaring hues of green and orange and pale blue. The moon hangs the dark of the new moon, a black void in the sky above where it had been full when you were carousing earlier...

Oh, and the stars are entirely wrong. Wherefore is the Hunter, the constelations of his bow and the Serpent, his prey?

And the fields? No wheat grew in those purple and golds, glinting in the eerie and alien lights from above. Untamed and wild brush and long grasses surround the stones...

Where are the dolmen stones, at that, with their crude and ugly doors? Here are nothing more than dark and stubby stones, a crude circle that ill matches the mysterious henge of Durance Crossing.

Ah, and the figure sitting on one of those stones in a semi crouch with two blades drawn, curved and sickle-like things that seems to gleam with their own pale and inner light, reflecting in silvery mail glinting with irridescent hues like moonstone. That figure is not human. Or elf, though he seems to bear some similarities. But his face is wrong, too pinched, too predatory and inhuman, sleek and steamlined, though you'd be hard pressed to say how... as if his bone structure reflected the will within. Long black hair hangs down, bound behind long and pointed ears with a band of leather from something green and scaly. Slit pupilled yellow eyes regard you with intense focus. Behind him is a silver horse with three pale blue eyes, one smack in the middle of it's forehead. It seems to regard everyone at once.

The horse speaks. 'See, now we can make introductions and ask politely.'

Behind Damon, the others begin to stir.

No, you get the feeling you aren't in Durance Crossing anymore.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-10-19 at 03:11 PM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring: Beneath Foreign Stars

Damon looks at the two creatures with a thoroughly bemused look on his face while clutching his pounding head. "What did you slip into my drink, Alaunira'a?" he asks of his now waking drinking companion. "I think I'm seeing faeries. And the sky is this lovely shade of purple. It's actually quite nice, but might make hunting today a bit difficult."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Some of mine, I think," came a rather drowsy reply from somewhere behind him.

Drow Post-Party Startup Procedure:
    1) Check limbs. Left arm reports the left leg is still present. Ditto with both rights.
    2) Check darkvision.
    Incatiously, Alauniira'a opened her eyes. Then the light from the Aurora hit them.

"SHU!" The sudden screech probably didn't need to be translated. With her eyes quickly screwed closed again, Alauniira'a started groping around for her scarf. Turns out it wasn't too far from her - wrapped around her dog, as a matter of fact. Who'd fallen asleep with it on. Huh. Well, it wasn't tied or anything, so she just lifted it off and quickly tied it around her face. Eyes covered again, she opened them a second time.

Much better.

3) Check clothing.

And her dress was... being slept on by her dog. Well, she'd earned a treat for recovering it from... wherever Alauniira'a had decided to discard it. So long as it wasn't ripped, or covered in dog fluids. Carefully, she rolled her dog off the dress, and took a moment to examine it. The silk all seemed to be intact. Good. She pulled it on over her head.

4) Check witnesses.

As she let her dress settle back into place, Alauniira'a finally took a chance to look around. She knew some of those people. Damon and Drake and Manny were familiar. Ms But'laeb was present, and dreaming something that made her legs twitch. Damon's other two friends were around, whatever their names were. And there was some animal-elf-hybrid thing and a three eyed horse. All perfectly normal. She started looking around for one of her silver bracelets.

Finally, her mind caught up with what her eyes had been reporting. Her mouth slowly dropped open as she turned back to face the two Fae.

"...We had a mushroom eating contest last night, didn't we?" From the sounds of it, she didn't believe that as an explanation... but she really, really wished she could...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthony stirs, more difficult than he'd become accustomed to. Sleeping light had been a skill of his developed over years of anxious rest, yet the previous nights activity had subdued that well-honed skill. He sits up quickly, then gets to his feet, assuming a defensive posture as he looks around for the source of the voices. It couldn't have been the horse, but then, who was having the conversation?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2015-10-19 at 08:17 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Zeeke opened his eyes and stretched his back, slowly rising to his feet. Upon seeing the three-eyed horse and the elvish-looking creature, Zeeke stared for a moment, did a double take and then slid back while still crouched, rolling and standing up quickly. "woah, was that.... horse just talking? what kind of wizardry created such a creature!?" Zeeke spoke in a hushed surprised tone as kept his eyes on the two.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Drake, for his part, groaned and rubbed his head as he woke up. The splitting headache wasn't anything new to him, as this wasn't the first time he'd gotten blackout drunk at a festival. That was the point of them, after all. Waking up in a completely new location also wasn't new, although this particular location was like no other place he'd been. As per usual he made a quick check to make sure no one had robbed him while he was asleep. Satisfied that everything was where it was supposed to be, he turned his attention to the strange creatures that had apparently been talking.

"This was definitely not what I expected when I started drinking last night."
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Manny jumped a bit on awaking, panicking and looking around.

"Gah! Manny looked around in a panic...calming down once he spotted where his book dropped and picked it up. "Oh good, I don't know what I'd do if I lost this... He tilted his head at the two fae, as if only just now noticing them, looking down at his book and back up at the fae once again, then over to the others. "So...uh...am I the only ones seeing these weird things again?" He studied them for a moment....realizing he has absolutely no idea what these things are at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, on the one hand," Damon says, squinting at the bright light of the aurora, "we probably didn't eat any weird mushrooms last night. I don't know of any that create shared hallucinations. On the other hand, we were incredibly stupid last night in drinking among the dolmens. Rather novel experience for me, actually."

He rises to his feet, rather wobbly, but manages a truly graceful bow to the horse. "Good morrow to you, gentles both." At least, he hopes they are gentles. "Forgive me for my ignorance, but am I correct in believing that you are of the fair folk? And is this indeed Faerie?"

Despite his urbane manner, Damon is subtly making preparations for combat. As part of his bow, he loosens his revolver and pepperbox in their holsters and checks that the former is indeed still loaded. Not wearing his mail, of course, but hopefully that won't matter.

Xanthus, Laelaps, and Kirke nearby, but still asleep. (Lazy bums, not like they have hangovers.) Unlikely they'd be a help in a fight anyway. And five thoroughly dangerous companions. Been in worse situations, like the drinking contest with those werewolves. But then, better too.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Damon's suggestion kick-started several alcohol-dampened wheels in Alauniira'a's brain. Quickly, she brushes her hair back from her ears. She didn't know how far back the drow lineage really went - if she had black-skinned ancestors back in the time that the fae lands were still reachable, or if the best she could hope for is being thought of as an odd-colored elf. But she did have a strong feeling that she didn't want to leave anyone here in any doubt that she wasn't actually a small human.

Alauniira'a attempted to adopt a suitably gracious manner for her approach to the two possible fae. Sadly, she'd forgotten where her dog was... and tripped over Ms But'laeb with all the grace of the recently drunk.

Quietly, she mutters (in Undercommon): "Maybe if I just go to sleep again, I'll wake up back home?"

Cautiously she pulls herself back to her feet. Glancing back, she notices her dog doing the same with a rather put-apon expression on her face. Well, she's apologize later. Instead, she once again attempted to approach the two... fae... And since she'd run out of dogs to trip over, she actually managed it this time!

Undercommon: "Well-Met." Pause. No, that wasn't right. Which language had she heard strange voices in as she woke? .... Oh, surfacer common! Huh, odd, that. Ah, well.

Common: "Well-Met." She offers the pair a well-practiced curtsey, then clasps her hands behind her back. "My name is Alauniira'a, may I know yours?"

Behind her back, her fingers spring back to life, signing to whoever is behind her (the entire party at this point, unless anyone went forwards with her):
    Drow Sign Language: "Interrupt me if you spot any others."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

At Alauniira'a's first shout, the startled fae's blades came arcing up and around into a defensive position. Moments later, with an expression that could be sheepishness on that alien face, he lowered them again as the situation become obvious. Behind the Daonine, the horse snickered.

'Fair folk? I am Daonine.' he replies to Damon. 'Where else would you be?,' he asked. 'Whatever drink flowed at your circle must have been strong indeed, for there is no where else be, no dolmen gates to other places have opened since the market days, before the world of manlings was lost to us...' he trails off, as if looking at you for the first time, before muttering singsong

'They came with gifts of gold and lead
    sharpened iron, songs in their head
    works not wrought by faerie hand
    and in their stead they would demand
    But lesser miracles and dreams
    trifling wonders, it would seem
    '

His eyes flicker down to the various weapons the group is studded with. Iron. Steel. No fey can bear its touch, as ubiquitous a part of the tales as any...

'Oooooooh,' the horse lets out a low whistle. How he does that through his horse lips is a mystery, though far from the biggest one that surrounds you. 'I thought she was just an elf that had crossed the wrong puck and gotten herself emboggled. A Gate Ciridun, a Gate! There to your answers!'

Slit-pupiled amber eyes regard you with a level gaze. In fact, the Fey's whole stance seems to have shifted into something less predatory, but no less eager. 'Very well, answers for answers then? I am called Gwylith, Ciridun of the Daonine.'

'Can it be that you are... mortals?'

Surfacer common. Funny that indeed, though as dialects go it is a fairly archaic one-- it is a language that has evolved down the ages.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Some more than others, " Alauniira'a admitted. "I bear the blood of elves, albeit a long-outcast clan. He " waving vaguely in the direction of Damon, "bears the blood of Angels, or so his father used to boast. Certainly he lives longer than any human should. I met him when the other four could have been little more than babes. The rest are humans, except for this one, " She paused a moment, as Lauske came up alongside her and cautiously sniffed towards the fey, "who is a dog."

Turning back to her companions, Alauniira'a told them "Answers for Answers should be just what it seems: If we want an answer to a question, we must provide one in turn. I answered the question of mortality, so we, I think, may ask another. I would ask them to confirm this, but were they anything like my kin, such a query would cost us our turn regardless of answer! Still, I took the first question when I asked for their names. One of you, I think, should ask the next."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"And over there are another dog, a horse, and a falcon," Damon adds. "They're not as smart as Alauniira'a's pup, but they're more useful.

"I'll take the next question, I suppose. You say that there haven't been doors to our world since the market days. How long ago was that?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Gwylith looks uneasy at that question. 'In measure? I do not know. Before I drew my first breath, three hundred and eighty-four dinue ago. Ones far older than I yet remember those days. How then did you cross the Dolmen Gates from the manling world?'

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"In truth, I do not think any of us knows. We spent most of yesterday drinking strong alcohol. Then we woke up here. Whatever we did in the gap between those two times is little more than a drunken blur. I can recall... was there dancing? It seems to be so. But I can tell you little else."

Of course there had been dancing - she was a great dancer! Moreso wihle sober, true. But on the plus side, the others had probably been too drunk to notice if she'd missed a beat or two.

Once again, Alauniira'a faced her own companions. "Third question, then..." and she waits for another to chime in...
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-10-20 at 06:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, yes, you certainly danced," Damon tells Alauniira'a. "It was absolutely enthralling, I can tell you that. Particularly after you lost your dress," he adds with a leer.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alauniira'a did dance a few more steps in acknowledgement of the compliment... ("Perform (Dance)" - (1d20+10)[18]) although she also added a rather mocking "You sound like you'd never seen a naked maid before. And I know that's not true, you've been to too many parties with my sisters before. I thought your father would have a heart attack at the first one..."
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-10-20 at 06:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Finally getting the hint the everyone else can see the odd things too for once, Manny sighed a bit, trying tonot get flustered at the dancing conversation.

"Yes! How we got here! We had much to drink and many stories to listen to. And then...then..uh...I might have drank too much. Definitely much stronger than the stuff we had back home." He smiled a bit "Though fear not gallant creatures, we mean you no harm, and in truth, we have absolutely no idea where we are!" He said, almost a little too proud of that statement.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"A question for a question.... then I can only think if we are stuck here how do we get back? As to answer your question Anthony and I unfortunately got mixed up with this group when Anthony bumped into their table and messed up their food, so I cooked a new plate for them and we sat down to chat. hmmm wait this...." Zeeke digs into his satchel retrieving some food. "This is jerky, it's a tough meat but it lasts long so it's great for rations and traveling far. here try it." he breaks the ration in two and offers a piece to both of the creatures.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Drake kept quiet during all of this, watching and listening to what was going on. He was fairly reserved even when he was just with people he knew (notwithstanding drunken antics), let alone with a pair of creatures that were considered more myth than real.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not like maids have become any less attractive over the last thirty years," Damon tells Alauniira'a with a shrug. "And up on the surface it's normally so much more work to get their dress around their ankles."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The horse lets out another neighing laugh 'That much was obvious!' it exclaims in response to Manny's statement. 'The first Gate in an age and it is no sage but a pack of drunkards!' It strikes you that you really don't trust the grin on its face. It strikes you as altogether too lecherous. 'Accept food? From a mortal? I've heard enough manling tales to know how that ends,' the horse laughs as Zeeke steps forward. The Daonine looks uneasily at the rations himself, as is uncertain of either their provenance or trustworthiness.

'I'll take heed of my somewhat brusque fellow, but answer thrice nonetheless. There is no way out of faerie worth mentioning, no gate that has opened in many an age save one-- the Path of Shadows, and no living thing can pass that way.'

His long ears twitch as he mulls over his next words. 'What will you do next?'

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Even Alauniira'a could spot the two fae didn't want to eat the Jerky. Sadly, they would be every bit as capable of hearing her stomach rumble as Zeeke produced food. One quick step sideways and Alauniira'a has grabbed one of the outstretched jerky pieces.

"After generations stuck in a cave living off lichen, fungus, and supplies stolen from the Dwarves, we were more than willing to try human cooking. They're surprisingly inventive with it, actually."

Alauniira'a bites into her piece of jerky.

Through a half-full mouth: "Sadly, Jerky isn't their finest moment. It's more emergency food than something you'd really want to eat. It's safe enough, though. Just not especially pleasant."

Chew

Chew

Swallow.

"Anyway! I don't think we'd gotten as far as considering what we'd do next. We really weren't expecting to be here, after all. Personally, I think I'd go looking for one of those people you mentioned as being old enough to remember when the gates were properly open. Figuring out how we got here - and how to get back - is easier if you speak to someone who knows what they're doing, and what magic remains on the mortal world isn't nearly powerful enough to operate something like that. I should know, after all - by mortal standards, I'm a skilled and powerful wizard. And I do wish 'by mortal standards' didn't make that damning myself with faint praise..."

Once more, having answered, Alauniira'a pauses to allow one of the others their turn at asking the next question.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-10-22 at 10:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

The sight of three deep blue eyes rolling in unison is slightly disconcerting, but you suspect disconcerting will only be the start of your time. 'By the Queens!' the horse exclaims. 'Its blatantly obvious that the lot of you are just as confused as each other and rather than playing stupid seelie games you might as well be open about this. At least it would be if you had half the sense of a horse. What color is the sky? What direction is the sun? Who's voice echoes through the unnamings? Where does the moon go when it is not in the sky? Why can mortals bear the touch of iron? There, there are questions enough to play with, so ask already!' His three eyes fix in a baleful glower at the Ciridun, who has the good grace to appear at least a little contrite.

'Forgive me. Killian is right,' Gwylith says, stroking his horse's mane. 'I do not have the answers you seek, but my elders may. If not, perchance they may know those even elder than they. If there is one constant of Faerie, it is that there is always an elder, always a greater power. Older things than the Queens yet sleep silent amongst the bones of the earth.'

'Yet I cannot return just yet. I have duties here that must first be discharged. And I suspect they may be related,' he says, gesturing about the circle stones. What you first took for a dirt clearing becomes more obvious as your heads clear. The long grasses within the circle are dead and blackened, as if withered from a harsh winter or a great heat. You note that as a breeze lashes through the field, bending gold and royal purple stalks before it, you feel and hear none of it within the stones. Only a still and sullen silence. Those who get up to look note that previously hidden behind one of the larger dolmen-lumps is a winding path of similar desolation leading away. Gwlith raises a hand and points along the path towards the horizon. There a great and gnarled forest of arcing roots and thorns and primordial trees rises before the foothills of mountains reflecting the eerie purple twilight. As the forests edge is an ancient looking tower of pale white stone, it's architecture reminiscent of the flowing arches of ancient elven make. Just looking at it fills you with unease and foreboding.

'Myr Tarniel,' Gwylith says. 'Once a home of the Pale Knights, then of the cruel hobgoblins, and then of crueler Winter. Last night it burned with blue flame and now rings with silence. When I have my answers, I will lead you to my people.'

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Killian's interruption was just what Alauniira'a needed. The moment of distraction was more than enough to allow her to drop the remainder of the piece of jerky she'd taken in front of Lauske. Dogs could be relied upon to cover many sins, especially if those sins were meat-based...

Which her hands now free, they went back behind her back to sign to the others, "Finally!" Then she turned to look at the trail, as they suggested...

"Blue flame and a path of devastation leading to - or from - the gate that brought us here. It does seem suspicious, doesn't it?" Which direction the path had been forged in was an... interesting... question. But not quite so interesting she wanted to just up and start walking that way.

"How much of a hurry are you in to follow that trail? We are, I'm afraid, still recovering from the circumstances that brought us here. And I at least would need to make some preparations before going anywhere likely to be dangerous." Mostly studying her spellbook. Thankfully, now she had had a chance to look around the clearing properly, she could see her pack lying on the floor a few meters away. "Probably also some breakfast, if we want to achieve something today beyond finding danger and vomiting all over it. I know" Well, she hadn't known this morning, but she did now! "you have reservations about accepting food from mortals, so I'll understand if you'd rather not join us for this..."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

'Nay, not that much of a hurry. I doubt the tower will be leaving any time soon, it has stood for as long as any in faerie can remember, after all.' Gwylith replies as he sheathes his blades in an intricate fur harness at his black and slides down crosslegged to the ground. He rummages about a finely woven grey silk-like sack and withdraws a deep cyan fruit. 'And I admit, much as its presence sets mine teeth on edge, the presence of iron may bring some small solace ahead. You are warriors?' he asks the group.

'My reluctance before may possibly be misplaced, as it is based on manling tales we tell young children. They say mortal can entrap a faerie at a feast, drawing them between two worlds and doomed to die, the curse of the dwarves so long ago,' he says, slicing into the fruit with a thin bronze knife. 'But they also say humans are as tall as towers and can split mountains with a single word. So many tales... do men tell tales of fae as well?'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fair enough, it's not really my best cooking but something I fix up quick for long journeys, human food has alot of different spices as well." Zeeke notices Alaunirra drop the ration, I know it's not great meat but that's a bit disrespectful. he mumbles under his breath. "I am but a simple cook of various delicacies, although I do know some ways of the sword." Zeeke makes a quick gesture and flick of the wrist as a blade comes out under his wrist and with the same motion flicks it back under it. "Breakfast sounds like a good start at least," looking around at the forest plants and and fruits. "Some wood and some fire and I could scrounge something up."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Zeeke: Ranging
    Show
    Survival: You go ranging for foodstuffs, and are the first of your companions to step outside the dolmen circle for the first time. The subtle wrongness, or at least alien nature of the land hits you in full force-- the latent stillness gone outside the circle, you can hear whispering on the wind, as if endless faint echoes, though you cannot make out the words. All around is a sense of presence-- not quite of being watched, but as if in a room with another, as if the very land was alive and waiting with bated breath.

You find: A six legged pale blue rabbit. A bush with what appears to be red walnuts. A nearby stunted tree bears golden fruit, though the ones borne on the side closest to the trail of devastation are rotten, black and swarming with maggots. The gold and purple fields do seem o be some sort of grain though. Combined you could probably make some sort of stew, or if you wanted to take a long time, bread and a marinated, glazed rabbit roast...

Sense motive: You are ok at reading people, but these aren't people. The facial cues share only remote similarities, the body language is profoundly different. If they are being disingenuous, you have no way to know.

Knowledge: Typical faerie tales. Look up something irish or celtic and it will fit. Common themes involve snatching children to raise as their own, eating faerie food entrapping the eater in faerie land, fey being compelled to speak truth if asked thrice (but also immensely offended and willing to be quite murderous in said offense) and making deals and bargains like genies.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    'But they also say humans are as tall as towers and can split mountains with a single word. So many tales... do men tell tales of fae as well?'
    Manny got a gleam in his eye at the mention of stories.

"Oh do they!" He said, rifling through a number of books in his bag. "So many stories of many wonderful things, fae among them of course. Although I always thought they were make believe. To think such beings actually existed somewhere...ah, it's so...interesting!" Manny said, a bit in awe, the realization of them ending up in what he seems to believe like a fairy tale land finally settling in.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Lauske seemed to enjoy the jerky more than Alauniira'a had... so there's that, at least...

With Manny taking up the discussion on the subject of stories, it saved the drow from the uncomfortable moment of having to admit that her mother had tried teaching her about the fey... and she'd basically just daydreamed through the stories and forgotten all the details in her pursuit of more worldly knowledge.

Now didn't she feel like an idiot...

Still, with Zeeke off to start the foraging, it was time she started her preparations. Retrieving her back, she extracts her spellbook from it and just sits cross-legged on the floor, spellbook open on her lap, and begins to prepare her magic.

Breakfast should be ready by the time I'm finished...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Zeeke just looks at the blue rabbit... "hm... ah alright." Zeeke will cut up the rabbit so be similar to pieces of ham. Zeeke will also grind up the grain into a fine powder and wraps the blue rabbit slices in them. He then gets a pan on the fire to cook the covered meat up. Cutting both the fruit and walnuts,Zeeke waited for the rabbit pieces to cook well before adding both in to spice it up. Zeeke lets it roast alittle longer before making a serving for everyone. "And there it is, my first making of food from another world, hope you guys like it!"