New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Damage vs Critical

I'm sitting here staring at the equipment lists and I'm trying to make some decisions. It has put a question in mind though.

For an epic level game, do you think that the increased critical range of some weapons with the increase crit modifier is better than the regular increased damage of a higher die weapon?

Which weapon do you think is the best for both of these (crit and damage delivery)?
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons, even death may die"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Damage vs Critical

In an epic level game, assuming you don't fight a lot of undead/constructs/other crit immune enemies, improved critical threat range/multipliers are almost always better then an increase to damage.

For example, at low levels a longsword is usually better then a rapier. assuming 14 strength a longsword averages 6.5 damage while a rapier averages 5.5, thats a pretty significant increase (almost 20%). The 5% greater chance that a critical threat will be rolled won't give you that much extra average damage.

In a epic level game where you are doing 50, 100, or more damage per a hit, the extra 1 or 2 damage from a larger weapon doesn't matter. Damage points don't scale to level, but criticals do. As your damage per hit goes up, the amount of extra damage the improved criticals grant you does as well.

From a math standpoint, an increase to threat range and an increase to multiplier is almost identical, for example, a longsword will add 100% damage to your attack twice as often as a battle axe, but a battle axe will instead add 200%, it evens out. I prefer high threat ranges, but thats because I like my weapons more reliable.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Crit range extension effects benefit high-multiplier weapons more than high-range weapons, don't they? You can certainly keep your crit range expanded by 1 all the time... Scythe?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
    Crit range extension effects benefit high-multiplier weapons more than high-range weapons, don't they? You can certainly keep your crit range expanded by 1 all the time... Scythe?
    Lets compare a longsword to a battle axe again, this time with improved critical. Lets assume that all threats are confirmed.

A longsword will crit(add 100% damage) 20% of the time(17-20). 1x.2=.2 That equals a 20% bonus to overall damage.

A battleaxe will crit(add 200% damage) 10% of the time(19-20). 2x.1=.2 That equals a 20% bonus to overall damage.

We could also compare a falcion to a scythe w/improved crit. Falcion = 100% x 30% = 30% bonus damage.

Scythe = 300% x 10% = 30% bonus damage.

Basically the damage bonus for crit range a is equal to crit multipler b when a = b-1
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

5. - Top - End - #5

For whatever reason, I had it in my head that improved crit effects were +1 crit range instead of double (and thus would favor the axe over the sword).

And yet, I seem to have been right in my conclusion, completely by accident. 4x crits do have an edge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It comes down to the particulars of how your bonus damage reacts to crits. If you have a flaming frost shock weapon, that's 3d6 that doesn't get increased by your multiplier, so the high multiplier loses its equal footing. On the other hand, if you have a flaming burst icy burst shocking burst weapon, you get bigger bonus dice on a high multiplier (the original 3d6 plus an extra 9d10 in the case of the scythe's x4), so the higher multiplier comes ahead.

It can get complicated if you have a lot of different kinds of bonus dice type abilities on your attacks....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2007-05-23 at 11:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It comes down to the particulars of how your bonus damage reacts to crits. If you have a flaming frost shock weapon, that's 3d6 that doesn't get increased by your multiplier, so the high multiplier loses its equal footing. On the other hand, if you have a flaming burst icy burst shocking burst weapon, you get bigger bonus dice on a high multiplier (the original 3d6 plus an extra 9d10 in the case of the scythe's x4), so the higher multiplier comes ahead.

It can get complicated if you have a lot of different kinds of bonus dice type abilities on your attacks....
    Acually, once again with flaming/icy burst weapons an increase to multiplyer is equally as valuable as an increase to threat range. With a x3 weapon flaming burst deals twice as much extra damage with a crit, but only crits half as much as a 19-20 weapon. It uses the same math I used above.

8. - Top - End - #8

Devastating Critical. Every time you critical with your chosen weapon, your opponent must make a Fortitude save or die (DC >= 34). Combine with an appropriate Vorpal weapon (you don't need keen, because Improved Critical is a prereq), and you've got a decent chance of instant-killing anything with a discernable anatomy.

Depending on your other equipment, you'd want to use a Kukri, Scimitar, or Falchion -- all three are martial weapons with good threat ranges.
    Last edited by Miles Invictus; 2007-05-24 at 12:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Likely a falcion, as devestation critical works well with higher str, which works well with a 2H weapon.

EDIT: Though devestation crit + 2 kukris is awesome too, reminds me of NWN.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-05-24 at 12:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Acually, once again with flaming/icy burst weapons an increase to multiplyer is equally as valuable as an increase to threat range. With a x3 weapon flaming burst deals twice as much extra damage with a crit, but only crits half as much as a 19-20 weapon. It uses the same math I used above.
    Hmm. So it is. And it'd be the same for most "increased on critical" abilities based on the multiplier, wouldn't it?

I guess that leaves the critical abilities not tied to the multiplier as the tiebreakers. Things like the aforementioned Devastating Critical, and Telling Blow.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Lets compare a longsword to a battle axe again, this time with improved critical. Lets assume that all threats are confirmed...
    This is nice and simple math, but it overlooks one key aspect; wasted damage.

If an enemy has 20 HP and you deal 481 damage to him... you really only did 20 HP worth of damage. Well, fine, 30. These numbers are arbitrarily extreme, but the point needs to be made; high-multiplier weapons are far more likely to deal more damage than necessary, which essentially negates their advantage. Alternatively, while a 19-20/x2 weapon won't be as likely to trivialize the actual amount of damage dealt, and its wider crit range is always helpful.

Basically, a wide threat range optimizes your average case scenario, whereas a high multiplier optimizes your best-case scenario.

Oh, and if you want to have insane crits, Master Thrower + Throw Anything + a whole bunch of Heavy Picks will do you wonders.
    Merlin the Tuna

12. - Top - End - #12

Kukris and Scimitars are useful if you're dedicated to the TWF route. Perhaps levels in Dervish?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin the Tuna View Post
    This is nice and simple math, but it overlooks one key aspect; wasted damage.

If an enemy has 20 HP and you deal 481 damage to him... you really only did 20 HP worth of damage. Well, fine, 30. These numbers are arbitrarily extreme, but the point needs to be made; high-multiplier weapons are far more likely to deal more damage than necessary, which essentially negates their advantage. Alternatively, while a 19-20/x2 weapon won't be as likely to trivialize the actual amount of damage dealt, and its wider crit range is always helpful.

Basically, a wide threat range optimizes your average case scenario, whereas a high multiplier optimizes your best-case scenario.

Oh, and if you want to have insane crits, Master Thrower + Throw Anything + a whole bunch of Heavy Picks will do you wonders.
    Plus you have a much greater chance of a critical happening in an important battle with a high threat range rather then a high multiplier. A high crit aint worth squat if it dont happen during your BBEG fight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post
    Kukris and Scimitars are useful if you're dedicated to the TWF route. Perhaps levels in Dervish?
    STR Ranger

NWN 1. Good times.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Rogue/Assassin/Weapon Master

If it wasn't immune to crits, it died in the first round, if it was, well thats what scrolls of improved invisibility are for.

16. - Top - End - #16

The difference between a d4 kukri and a 2d6 greatsword is big at low levels, but virtually unnoticeable at high levels. But the difference between a weapon that doubles your +39 from Power Attack and high strength on rolls of 15-20 vs. a weapon that doubles your +39 only on a natural 20 is huge.

Of course, if you're a rogue, sneak attack doesn't multiply on crits, so it doesn't really matter what weapon you're using.

On average, you do the same damage over time with an x4 weapon and an 18-20 weapon, or with an x3 and a 19-20 weapon... but the weapon with the high multiplier is far more likely to be overkill, while the weapon with the large range is far more likely to do *just* enough damage to finish an encounter a round quicker than it would've otherwise taken.

Summary: base weapon damage doesn't really matter at high levels. Crit multiplier/range matter a lot for strength-based characters (with range slightly more important than multiplier due to "overkill"). Crits don't particularly matter for rogues.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Of course x4 crit is the supreme crit, because it's obviously better than x3 crit and x3 crit is balanced with 19-20/x2. x4 is supreme as much as x2 is bad.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

18. - Top - End - #18

The two methods I'm aware of of breaking the Keen rules are Barbarian Streetfighter or a Psychic Weapon Master. Mathematically speaking, each does better using a *4 weapon, rather then a weapon with a high crit range.

Also, you should know that builds focused on high crits are quite weak. Many creatures are immune to crits. Rolling high enough to trigger your crit, and then confirm your crit, is very unreliable. And even if you roll high enough and then confirm, you often "waste" a lot of damage, by reducing an enemy to -100 hit points. You just need to reduce your enemies to -10 hit points, you don't win anything by killing them beyond that point. Consistently dealing good damage is better then sporadically dealing massive damage.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Disciples of Dispater can also break the criticals thing, doing 9-20 critical threats if the base weapon is 18-20. They're from 3.0 though (BoVD).

JaronK

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I've decided to go with the falchion. Any suggestions for enchantments for it? I've got stupid amounts of cash to spend on it. 720k to be precise.
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons, even death may die"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Wounding is always a good investment for it's price.

If you aren't taking Improved Critical for your weapon, I'd also suggest Keen.

If you take another weapon as well, you might even want Dancing (Though that would serve best on your alternate weapon, I feel).

22. - Top - End - #22

Collision gives +5 damage, for (IIRC) a +1 bonus.

Brilliant Energy is great because you ignore armor bonuses.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

How large can the threat range for a critical strike be? Even with Improved/Devastating critical feats, are there other ways to increase both threat and multipliers?

And what weapon would best serve this purpose of min/maxing the criticals?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniel View Post
    How large can the threat range for a critical strike be? Even with Improved/Devastating critical feats, are there other ways to increase both threat and multipliers?

And what weapon would best serve this purpose of min/maxing the criticals?
    In 3.0 a Weapon Master with a keen Scimitar, Rapier or Falchion and the improved critical feat could get 10-20. If you allow Weapon Master (or the overpowered Psychic Weapon Master) in 3.5 you can still get 13-20 since the only thing you're missing out is the keen property.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    In 3.0 a Weapon Master with a keen Scimitar, Rapier or Falchion and the improved critical feat could get 10-20. If you allow Weapon Master (or the overpowered Psychic Weapon Master) in 3.5 you can still get 13-20 since the only thing you're missing out is the keen property.
    9-20, actually, and increased the multiplier too. 9-20/x7 is a thing of beauty.

The excerpt for Complete Champion has a PrC that allows you to add 1 to the threat range of a weapon, above and beyond the effects of keen/imp. critical.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Collision gives +5 damage, for (IIRC) a +1 bonus.
    Where is Collision from?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #27

It's in the Magic Item Compendium., prolly appeared somewhere else first.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Collision is a +2 bonus, from the XPH.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/it....htm#collision

Not worth it, imo. For that +2 you can get Sacred (+1, LM) and Mage Bane (+1, CAr).
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-05-24 at 04:18 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

There's a list of some of the better enhancements here.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lillitheris View Post
    I've decided to go with the falchion. Any suggestions for enchantments for it? I've got stupid amounts of cash to spend on it. 720k to be precise.
    At epic levels, that's not much.

A bare +6 enhancement weapon costs 720k to buy.

If you don't want a +6 weapon, you can buy multiple normal weapons. 720 k is enough for 3 +10 "normal" weapons, one +7 "normal" weapon, and change to pay for the special materials the weapon is made out of.

Some good enchantments:
    Wounding (+2, 1 con damage per hit)
    Merciful (+1, damage is non-lethal, +1d6 damage per hit, can be toggled)
    Flaming, Shock, Frost (+1 each, +1d6 fire/electricty/ice damage each)
    Axiomatic/Holy/Chaotic (+2 each, +2d6 damage vs correct alignment)
    Ghost Touch (+1, avoids incorperal avoidance)
    Defending (+1, allows you to move bonus to AC)
    Brilliant Energy (+4, ignore non-living matter (like armor, or undead))
    Spell Storing (+1, stores up to 3rd level spells, first hit delivers: ray of exaustion anyone?)

You'll want at least one "greater magic weapon" weapon: a +1 weapon with +9 worth of special toys on it. Cast "greater magic weapon" on it, and it is all of a sudden a +5 weapon with +9 in toys on it. :)

Speed (+3) is also useful if you don't have a haste buffer around.

+1 Wounding, Merciful, Flaming, Shock, Frost, Ghost Touch, Holy as an example.

Burst enchantments ... well, they suck. A 15% chance to do 1d10, or a 100% chance to do 1d6: which do you pick?

The advantage of "crit on a 20" is that if you can only hit on a 20, you don't lose any crit range.

If you can figure out a way to get a ridiculous number of attacks at a low to-hit bonus, that becomes an option.