A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card IV: Threadwalkers

Small Surprise 1U
    Instant - R
    Search your library for a card with converted mana cost 2 or less that is an instant or has flash, secretly put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (You don't have to reveal the card.)

Spoiler: Legal in Conspiracy
    Show
    Preventative Measures 1U
    Enchantment - R
    When Preventative Measures enters the battlefield, secretly name a nonland card. (You don't have to reveal it.)
    Whenever an opponent casts a spell with the same name as the named card, sacrifice Preventative Measures and counter that spell.

Spoiler: Would Probably Work Better With Commanders
    Show
    Artifact - R
    Your Avatar's activated abilities cost 1 less to activate.
    Amber, Sundew.
    Nexus Character Pile. Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Rilner the Mana Lord URG
    Legendary creature - Elemental Soldier
    While the combined converted mana cost of your deck is more than an opponents, creatures you control gain haste, trample and shroud.
    2/3
    Last edited by onasuma; 2015-12-07 at 03:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Time for the judgments!

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Chronolock 3
    Artifact R
    At the beginning of each player's turn a timer will be started at 30 seconds counting down. If that timer reaches 0, by the beginning of that player's end step, that player loses the game. (The timer only counts down while that player has priority).
    Tick Tock goes the Clock.
    Using the clock is certainly a path of design space that online play opens, and I think there's some potential on that path. But losing the game is a ridiculously harsh penalty. I don't think anyone will have fun if the game is suddenly over because one player took one second too long to take their turn. This also unfairly hoses combo decks and less practiced players, while doing nothing against some others. Many players will find being forced to play quickly annoying and unfun. Cards that do something that many people won't enjoy should be opt-in and not impose it on other players.

Spoiler: Atombuster
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post
    Time Machine UUURRR
    Artifact - Rare

T - A random card with a converted mana cost 2 is played. (You select targets for the card, if appropriate. )

Note: Time Machine can select cards that might illegal to play (Such as Counterspell when there are no spells to counter.). In that case, it still played (in this case with no target), but are then countered.

Note 2: You have to play the card. Beware of Counterspelling your own spells.
    Your card uses too elements that I see a lot in custom card designs, which I think are overused and problematic. Namely, colored artifacts and extremely heavy colored mana costs. This isn't unique to your card, but it's the latest example of these issues I've seen.
    Colorlessness, the ability to be played in any deck, is part of the core identity of artifacts. It's not an absolute rule, but it's basically only been broken in a single block, plus a single cycle in another. Even Mirrodin, the artifact block, didn't use colored artifacts (the Phyrexian artifacts could be played without paying colored mana). To break the rule should have a really compelling reason.
    The vast majority of cards printed by Wizards have only one or two colored mana symbols. Heavy color densities place generally unnecessary restrictions on deckbuilding and promotes color screw. Wizards only has a handful of cards with triple colored mana symbols per set, and more than three is almost unheard of. If you're going with such a heavy color density, you should have a concrete aesthetic or balance reason.
    Those issues aside, I like the idea behind your design. Getting a random spell each turn will be fun for a lot of players, while not disruptive for those who don't enjoy it. I'm not sure about your decision to make casting the spell mandatory; that can potentially lead to some feel-bad moments. I think getting a useless spell would be a significant enough risk without needing the possibility of having to do something actively detrimental to you.
    Also, why is this a time machine? I don't get the flavor there at all.

Spoiler: Ninjaman
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Wailing Dead - WB
    Creature - Spirit - R
    Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Wailing Dead.
    When Wailing Dead dies, shuffle it into your library.
    Counters remain on Wailing dead as it moves to the graveyard or library.
    1/1
    I think the idea there is really solid. Solving memory issues is a neat use of computer tech, with a lot of cool potential applications. A creature that grows over time as things die is nothing new, but allowing it to keep its size after it dies and giving it the potential to come back is quite cool. One concern I have with it is that after it goes back to the library, the likelihood of getting it again is fairly small, and the reward for replaying it is pretty minor considering how far the game would have likely progressed when you draw it again. I would have liked to see a bigger reward for replaying it, or a more consistent way to replay it. Decent card, but can be improved.

Spoiler: Diego Havoc
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Viid, the Indecisive 4UUU

Legendary Creature - Shapeshifter - MR

When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, ~ becomes a copy of a legendary creature from outside the game that it has not already been a copy of this game and gains this ability. It remembers which creatures it has copied if it leaves the battlefield.

0/1
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, this can copy any legendary creature in existence. That's a massive list to choose from, and it will be totally overwhelming to any players who haven't memorized the entire list of legendaries. Even the players who know the best options will be frustrated when their go-tos don't work in the situation and they have to find something else from the list.
    And any legendary creature? Can this become Progenitus? Emrakul? That's more than a little worrying. You don't need more than one turn with Emrakul to end a game. And this is significantly easier to cheat into play than the real thing.
    If I'm misunderstanding, and the list of legendaries this can become is more limited, well, I can't judge it without knowing the selection it can choose from.

Spoiler: tgva8889
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Call for Assistance WUBRG
    Sorcery (P9)
    Put a token that is a copy of a random planeswalker card that shares no types with any planeswalkers you control onto the battlefield.
    It pays to have friends in high places.
    I'm pretty fond of randomness, and the idea of getting a random planeswalker appeals to me. But the WUBRG cost makes it really hard to cast, and very few of the planeswalkers this can get will be worth that price, especially considering that you don't have any control over which one you get. Cool idea, but I don't think it's playable in its current form.
    What does P9 mean?

Spoiler: LaZodiac
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Forethought 3UU
    Sorcery (MR)
    Each player chooses a card in their library, then adds a copy of it to their hand.
    I need not be the best, just better then you.
    Copying a card from your library is functionally basically the same as tutoring, the only difference being that a copy remains in your library, which is fairly insignificant. It can work as an alternative form of tutoring, but there isn't much to be gained by using it over regular tutoring. Blue doesn't get unconditional tutors, and I don't think using a slightly different form of tutoring is enough to justify shifting the color pie this way. 5 mana is more than most players would want to pay for a tutor, and having it be symmetrical makes it very underpowered. There's no reason for this to be a mythic rare.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Arbiter Noone
    Boss
    (Bosses are players, not creatures, planeswalkers or permanents.)
    You can't draw cards, you don't start the game with any cards in your hand, and your maximum hand size is 0.
    At the start of Arbiter Noone's upkeep, put a token that's a copy of "Darksteel citadel" onto the battlefield under its control. Then, Noone gains 1 life for each permanent it controls.
    1: Arbiter Noone deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    3: Destroy target nonland permanent. It can't be regenerated.
    5: Counter target spell.
    (20)
    A new card type for a new mode of play. That's very ambitious.
    Magic with an automated opponent doesn't need a computer. It's been implemented in paper Magic in several ways: Horde Magic and the Defeat a God challenge come to mind. What you'll find is that in each of these formats, the automated opponent, while not playing by the normal rules of Magic, has a deck of some kind. Restricting a boss to a single set of abilities on a single card is going to lead to very repetitive play, and there isn't much design space there. Your example boss doesn't do anything except gain life, deal damage, and destroy your stuff. It might be fun to play a single time, but you're going to need more variety to keep players interested.

Spoiler: braveheart
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Victor Machiov, the False Man (X)
    Legendary Artifact Creature - Human, Construct - MR
    Colorset (this creature is each color of mana spent to cast it)
    Sunburst (This creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each color spent to cast it)
    Victor Machiov, the False Man has protection from each color that it is, if it is colorless then victor Machiov has protection from colorless.
    0/0
    Colorset uses automated tracking to its advantage to open up a good amount of design space. Sunburst makes sense on the card, but using it means that you're setting the keyword as one of the set mechanics. With colorset technology, you don't need sunburst to achieve this purpose. "~ gets +1/+1 for each color that it is" would suffice, showing off more of colorset's potential while not committing you to a set mechanic. I don't like the explicit use of sunburst here, but I suppose that's a matter of personal taste.
    As with most sunburst cards, this is best in a deck that can generate all five colors of mana. I admit I haven't played extensively with creatures that have protection from a certain color, but the ability to give this guy protection from any color you want feels like it can be very oppressive and hard to deal with, especially when you can get him out with the colors you want at 2 or 3 mana. The protection from colorless clause is very rarely going to come into play, and is clunky and unnecessary.

Spoiler: bekeleven
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Chzoen Trawler 3UU
    Creature - Elemental Rogue
    Flying, Timeshift (This creature deals damage to players in the form of 15 seconds of clock time.)
    {1}, Discard a card, pay 1 minute: Draw a card.
    3/3
    Clock-based play does have some design space to be explored, and a set based around it is an intriguing concept. If the whole set is based around the clock, it avoids the pitfall of forcing players to play against the clock who would rather not, as only the ones who enjoy this kind of play will play the set. Of course, that does have the problem of shrinking the target audience.
    I see some potential issues. I presume not everything in the set will have timeshift, so there's going to be the split between clock damage and normal damage, which can pose a problem for development. Time payments aren't going to mean much if the opponent isn't looking to run you out of time. I think those issues can be surmounted, though they might prove difficult. I think with refinement, the idea can present enough novelty to be an enjoyable new angle for Magic, as well as enough depth for a successful format.
    The card itself is quite neat. Even without knowing the rest of the set, this card gives a good sense of what the set is about. Time payment may feel more at home in black than in blue, but it's not completely out of place. The looting is a fun but not overly powerful effect, and the mana cost for the looting places a restriction on it even if you have time to spare, which I feel is a nice touch.
    I'm still not 100% sure that the core concept is workable, but if it is, I think it would be quite fun, and this is a pretty well-designed card to showcase it.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Small Surprise 1U
    Instant - R
    Search your library for a card with converted mana cost 2 or less that is an instant or has flash, secretly put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (You don't have to reveal the card.)
    Online play does obviate the need to reveal cards you tutor for, so this is certainly a thing that can be done in online Magic and not in paper. I see you picked the angle that makes the hidden information most relevant. This is a pretty fine card; I see nothing wrong with it. But I feel like there isn't really anything else that can be done with this concept. It's a decent one-off card, but I would have preferred to see something that showcases a larger vein of design space and potential for new ways to play.

Spoiler: onasuma
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Rilner the Mana Lord URG
    Legendary creature - Elemental Soldier
    While the combined converted mana cost of your deck is more than an opponents, creatures you control gain haste, trample and shroud.
    2/3
    Giving haste, trample, and shroud is really powerful. Haste and trample could be fine, but shroud is worrying, especially since this also gives itself shroud, meaning the opponents' options for interacting will be very limited. If the ability is active, it's probably going to be overpowered. There will be some times when you play someone with a higher converted mana cost, in which case this won't do anything at all. Making an overpowered card swingy is not a way to balance it. And the fact that whether it's overpowered or useless is decided before the game even begins takes agency out of the players' hands, and makes this even less fun.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    bekeleven, with Chzoen Trawler, for an aesthetically-pleasing card that shows off a rich and exciting vein of new design space.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2015-12-08 at 12:11 AM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! Timeshift is basically "infect that wins going 0-1" and appears in blue and black. The 15 seconds would have to be balanced through playtesting.

New challenge: Legacy of the Planeswalkers.

Next year's summer supplemental set has been announced! It's a set built around the impact of planeswalkers on the planes they visit, from the present to the distant future. This impact comes in many forms: Laws enacted, stories told, sites of great deeds, even descendants scattered through the planes (sparks are not hereditary). The set can be drafted and is legal in Vintage, Legacy, and Commander.

Build a card from Legacy of the Planeswalkers.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grown From Ash 2G
    Enchantment - R
    Whenever a spell or ability deals damage to you, a plainswalker you control, or a creature you control, gain 1 life and put a 0/1 green plant token onto the battlefield under your control.
    "After Chandra has left and her destruction wrought, new life inevitably grows from the ashes" - Nissa
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

Baral, Arbiter of Kaladesh 2UU
    Legendary Creature - Human Soldier R
    Protection from red and from artifacts.
    Whenever Baral, Arbiter of Kaladesh deals damage to a creature or planeswalker, shuffle that permanent into its owner's library.
    ďYou and I arenít the only mages this world has seen. But Iíll be the last youíll ever know.Ē
    1/4

This is, of course, about the impact of a planeswalker on a plane she left, but I can change it if you don't like that.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-12-08 at 02:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Maddening Truths-2BB

Sorcery-R

Search your card for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Flashback: Exile the top three cards of your library.

In that moment, Thalia knew the true nature of Avacyn. And that truth broke her.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2015-12-10 at 08:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Character Development (<>)
    Sorcery [M]
    Destroy target Planeswalker. Then that Planeswalker's controller may search his or her library for a Planeswalker with a different name that shares a sub-type with that destroyed Planeswalker and place that card onto the battlefield under his or her control. If he or she does, then that player shuffles his or her library.

Spoiler
    Show
    (<>) being the newly introduced mana that requires colorless mana to pay for it. This card is made with the assumption that (<>) will become evergreen, since it is effectively a 6th color and it would be stupid of Wizards to create it and ONLY use it for eldrazi like effects. As such (<>) IMO should be used for cards that do not fit into any of the other colors, which this card does not IMO.

That said, this card is a one mana kill card for Planeswalkers that can almost go into any deck. I saw almost because colorless is a lot trickier to produce than you think. Most people don't run colorless mana producers. Also opponent can get around it by having multiple same type PW's in the same deck.

Using it as a combo card. . . the most broken thing I can come up with is: Using a PW's ability, using this card, getting out another version of that Card. . . which makes this a 1 mana double a PW's ability, which still isn't that good, since it's so narrow. In the sense that you can play a cheap version of a PW, and use this to get out a better version of that PW - best I can come up with is Garruk Wildspeaker --> get a 3/3 or untap 2 lands and then use this --> get a Garruk, Apex Predator. Jace Beleren into any other Jace is also pretty good.

This card is especially good and flavorful with the flip walkers. If you flip them early and use this card you can get a bigger version of that PW.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

(P9) means the special Power 9 rarity from Vintage Remastered. If we can do it for one online release, we can do it for any we want.

Keral Keep Pilgrimage 4R
    Legendary Enchantment - Pilgrimage (U)
    If a source you control would deal noncombat damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus one for each Pilgrimage you control to that permanent or player instead.
    Despite the dissolution of its practices, Keral Keep still stands as a place all pyromancers give homage.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-12-12 at 10:28 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #190
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Twisted Mind BU
    Enchantment - Aura Curse (R)
    Enchant Player.
    Whenever enchanted player draws a card, enchanted player scries 1, then discards the top card of his deck.

In a mind twisted and frayed, all that's left is a slow descent to insanity..
    Last edited by Atomburster; 2015-12-08 at 09:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

Devotee of the Dark Realm 2B
    Creature - Human Cleric (C)
    When ~ dies, add BBBB to your mana pool.
    2/2
    They say they still congregate in the killing fields of Caligo, praying to a god that is no more.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-12-09 at 02:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192

In the not-too-distant future, the people of Theros have turned away from the distant and capricious gods, and toward the heroes and saints that walk among them. These heroes, empowered by the respect of the people, can tap into the power of Nyx directly, using it to bless their fellows. The most celebrated of them is the child of the fabled Champion, who overcame death and brought a new age of hope to Theros...

Sophia Tirel, Star of Meletis 1WW
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - Human (M)
    Sophia Tirel has indestructible as long as you control three or more creatures.
    Whenever a creature you control attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    Other creatures you control with three or more +1/+1 counters have indestructible.
    2/2

Spoiler
    Show

Image is of Saber from Fate/Stay Night.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2015-12-08 at 11:48 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know much about the magic storylines, so I hope this makes sense.

Shrine to Bolas 3

Artifact - R

Spells you cast cost UBR less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a spell with mana cost 2BR, it costs 2 to cast.)

Whenever you cast a multicoloured spell with U, B, or R in its cost, lose 3 life.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2015-12-09 at 10:02 AM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Project Lightning Bug - 2UR
    Enchantment - R
    Whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield, put a charge counter on Project Lightning Bug.

If a planeswalker would enter the battlefield while Project Lightning Bug has 3 or more charge counters on it, it enters the battlefield under your control instead.

Spoiler: Project Lightning Bug
    Show
    So this is going off the idea that the research was used and if they had found out about planeswalker, they could of taken control of them, through magic, the Firemind or other means.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shrine of the Betrayer 4
    Artifact - R
    Whenever a spell is cast from exile counter it. Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield from exile destroy it. Whenever you lose control of a permanent destroy it.
    The loss of the father is irreparable, but we must learn from our mistakes and seal the breach.
    -Jin-Gitaxias

A reference to Venser, the best planeswalker.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Eleven entries! This was a lot of fun to judge. Thanks everyone.

Spoiler: Beaveheart
    Show

So every time someone kills your chump blocker you gain a life and play a chump blocker? Attacking you with a 5/5 and a 1/1 result in: Either 4 damage and you get 2 creatures (no block), or you gain 1 life and get a creature (block the 5/5) or you gain 2 life (chump both).

This card would be an OK bomb if it didn't just shut out some decks. Monored can't compete with it. Red/white (or similar) might at least have some sideboard answers.

There are a lot of ways to balance this. For instance, replace life with damage reduction, donít affect creatures, or at least donít affect token creatures... but as-is itís a bit much in limited and really playable in EDH. The thing is, it would be playable in EDH without the lifegain too. Seems pushed.

This art was annoying to get. I had three different attempts to fit art to this card and the others didnít work in the aspect ratio. I know this depicts growth from "natural" volcanic ash as opposed to Hothead temper tantrum ash, but I do like the shot, and I feel it communicates the flavor pretty effectively. Here's your plant token.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show

Is a planeswalkerís legacy really about places they were only on before sparking? Seems a bit out of flavor. The fact that it uses an older keyword mechanic sort of goes with it, though.

Limited: This is a complete house against midrange or an agro deck without a great hand. First pickable.
    Commander: This will be run a lot in UR with ping effects. Pretty powerful.

The flavor... is a bit odd. As far as I can tell, he runs up to people, menaces them a bit, and then their spark ignites and they planeswalk? Or is shuffling into a library indicative of execution? Maybe it means he framed them, and if you redraw them, they got acquitted of the crime? Also, why protection from artifacts? Just because he hangs around them a lot, so heís used to dodging blightsteel colossi?

Color pie-wise, blue can do every part of it, but I canít recall the color ever doing so this repeatably.

For art I obviously used an image of the original Balal. I couldnít find any art in my folders that had the filigree armor, and the ones that got close didnít have the right person or the right pose. Feels a bit like cheating, so sorry.

Spoiler: firedaemon33
    Show

So, diabolic tutor that flashes back for free?

Unlike most of the cards submitted, boy howdy would this see play in legacy and vintage. It pushes dredge to tier 1 and might lead to a new dredge archetype. I am actually contemplating using it to patch 4 horseman around the soft-ban, but it would get a lot uglier.

The armor doesnít have Avacynís collar ó surprise, itís an unrelated image ó but I thought this showed a Thalia lookalike in a moment of doubt. Feel free to disagree, she is still largely stoic.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show

As a card that references planeswalkers, this pretty much needs to be mythic, so thatís good.

Is a planeswalkerís legacy ó their lasting impact ó really about from when they were from age 20 to age 30? It seems a bit out of flavor of the set, but I suppose that was a bit vague.

As for the card, itís 100% useless in limited and doesnít slot into any legacy or vintage decks I can recall. So basically itís only viable in EDH superfriends lists, and even there itís really niche. Not all planeswalkers in such a list are run with multiple versions and those that are, you donít always want to exchange one for another. Maybe if the deck is built around a specific card this lets you.... two-card tutor for it? Plus thereís a colorless mana restriction?

I donít see this card on any decklists.

The art on this card is rather obvious. I couldnít find any satisfactory images in my stable so I went with, you know, the standard. Please do me a favor and ignore the MS paint magic in the {C}.

Spoiler: tgva8889
    Show

The first card with a rarity under rare! Good for you.

I like that youíre suggesting a cycle or two here. The card is a sidegrade to (to pull an example from standard) Embermaw Hellion, since it canít close a game on its own but itís more resistant and has a chance to scale. On the whole itís less powerful in every format: In limited itís worse than hellion unless the set has great removal, since do-nothing turn 5 plays are... eh. In vintage and legacy it of course wouldn't be played. In EDH it can potentially be played, but 1) youíre probably not going to get more than 1 pilgrimage out with a 99-card singleton deck and synergies of this power level are not worth tutoring, and 2) Why waste 5 mana on this when you can play, I dunno, gratuitous violence instead? If youíre winning with noncreature damage, a +1 wonít make a difference anyway.

"Not playable in eternal formats" isnít a large mark against it. If there are some cheap enabler shrines, perhaps also in red but even in other colors, the deck could be an unconventional draft-around like Sphinxís tutelage. I like that.

Perhaps a more annoying aspect is a legendary permanent under rare outside of Kamigawa. It can be done, but you need a really good reason. I'm not convinced that this card is powerful enough that it needs the supertype to balance itself, but drop a mana or two and I'd be on board.

The original Keral Keep is a sort of low, Mediterranean-style stone building. I couldnít find any good art for it, so I decided it had been built up into a cathedral constructed around a giant central forge. The art depicts a shadowy figure on its front walk. I picture the entire cycle of Pilgrimages using similarly angled art. Here's an example I whipped up.

Spoiler: Atomburster
    Show

This card has a decent power level... I feel like it might be a bit powerful if UB works in draft, and Iíd play it in EDH for sure. I just donít really see what itís doing here. Is it supposed to represent Ashiok, maybe? Thatís all I got. Maybe Nicol Bolas. Certainly not Tezzeret. Itís definitely not a build-around mill card in limited, being rare, but it could in theory support that archetype.

I dunno... itís just a complicated card with specific mechanics (curses appear only in Innistrad and flavorless commander products) that doesnít have anything to do with planeswalkers.

Being generically flavored, this cardís art is interchangeable with basically any discard spell ever printed. I chose this art because it has a mostly blue and purple color scheme, and the guy appears to literally be twisting his hair. So I assume he keeps his mind in his hair. Look, donít judge me.

Spoiler: LaZodiac
    Show

The only common!

Letís see... fails the vanilla test, generally poor in eternal formats. Looks decently powered in draft if thereís a sacrifice archetype that doesnít suck as much as the BFZ one ó this would work in Origins, for instance. Upper end of complexity for a common but it squeaks by, at least in a supplemental set.

And the flavor is pretty solid, too. A well-rounded inclusion.

From this card, we know that the set has a sacrifice archetype in Bx. Or this is just a weird build-around but those are rare at common.

For the art I swapped several times. I finally moved from a menacing figure at the gates of barad dur to this one, because I think this more accurately lines up with the flavor text and suggests people turning into mana. It does seem a bit old-magic insubstantial, not out of place in fallen empires or similar.

Spoiler: Blue Ghost
    Show

Sophia is weird. Three types/supertypes (the type line is actually full even before I added the word "human), which is presumably why you didnít add "Cleric" or "Soldier" or knight or whatever she is. She also has three abilities: Two related static abilities and a triggered ability that turns on one of the static abilities.

The card has two conditional static indestructible abilities with different conditions. (some cards will grant themselves something, then say "other creatures you control" and the same thing. This is having two abilities with the same conditions.) This is a bit confusing, but hey, mythic rare.

The third ability is the more confusing one to me, since it triggers based on a specific number of +1/+1 counters. I canít recall any static abilities being granted to creatures this way, although there are similar effects ó Spells that do things based on the X in their cost or the counters on them, cards that turn abilities on based on their power, devour triggers, and quests. Still, nothing that grants static abilities to arbitrary permanents based on anything more than a counterís presence or absence on that permanent.

Whatís the flavor? Elspeth settles on Theros or has a family there, or at least has some form of nyxbaby or something. Presumably Elespeth is a creature of Nyx after returning from the dead herself, and transferred her enchantiness. So her offspring, Sophia, is a leader of the people ó unstoppable with her people at her back, and in turn lifting them up to greatness. As long as they attack three times first.

I went with an image of a D3 Crusader before I realized she was an enchantment creature and swapped to the current image. For this one I didnít exactly go with the sparkle-star-shadows of existing nyxborn, going for highlight-wisps instead. As a descendant of a human-turned-planeswalker-turned-nyxborn-turned-??? I figure sheíd be somewhat different. For that matter, itís likely that coming sets will alter the functionality or appearance of Nyx, if and when Elspeth returns.

Spoiler: Diego Havoc
    Show

Tricky.

In limited you canít rely on it (canít build around rares) so a lot of the time youíll have the mana to cast things normally but it will cause you to take damage from them. Playable, but... weird and easy to backfire. Limits you to 6 spells once it drops. The following is speculative, because I feel like I don't have a good handle on the card's intricacies:

In Vintage/Legacy it kills you a bit too much to enable ANT but could help other combo decks. I honestly donít know enough legacy decks to be confident in what this card would do to the format. 3 life is steep, but the ability to cheat strix, shadow of doubt, terminate, dreadbore, swerve, and some fun charms could lead to a new deck. I donít think the card would slot into existing grixis though, since sometimes you just gotta take take a bolt and cast 6 more spells.

Perhaps more worryingly, it lets monowhite hold up plow mana then throw down any one of 8 charms, hindering light, deflecting palm, mana leak, etc. etc. etc. The cardís best niche is probably in a deck thatís not primarily grixis. Giving a deck structure using GW then splashing Shrine to Bolas for disruption feels a bit underwhelming in formats with ancient grudge, though Iíd need some playtesting to see. After all, Countersquall counters the first ancient grudge and costs the opponent some life too.

The largest concern is the color pie ó every card that reduces colored mana required to cast things is already a card of that color, while this allows monowhite decks to cast brainstorm and bolt.

Flavorwise, why does worshiping nicol bolas mean a benefit and drawback to those that already ally with him, and a major benefit to those that are his opposites?

For the art, I wanted a grand (Bolas wouldnít tolerate less) building with the Bolas horns. These arenít the Bolas horns, but if you hum a few bars they can fake it, and the color scheme is fantastic for a grixis-style artifact. It would look even better in a premodern border.

Spoiler: Lea Plath
    Show

As a card that references planeswalkers, this should be mythic.

For flavor, this doesnít feel like a legacy of any planeswalker, so much as "Legacy of Niv-Mizzet." I mean, Ral is involved in that he was nominally in charge while sabotaging it. Perhaps he secretly sabotaged this cardís power level:

Limited: Dead card. This would hurt to open, especially in sealed.
    Legacy/Vintage: Dead card.
    EDH: Good for sideboards against superfriends, which are an incredibly small portion of the meta. An even smaller portion of the Duel Commander meta, and thatís the commander variant that allows sideboards. Perhaps this is different elsewhere, but at my meta, itís unusual for more than 3-4 planeswalkers to hit the field in a game, and I usually control one of them.

Underpowered cards are all right in some circumstances, if the flavor is there. Izzet does do some mind control (like on Catch) but it hasnít been a major part of their theme, nor is it a part of Project Lighting Bug at all.

Since the original PLB was about tracking jace, I decided to use blue/red art based around mind-controlling him, though Iím not sure how well that came through on the final product. (No, that figure was not originally Jace ó this painting, believe it or not, is titled "necromancer.")

Spoiler: CantigThimble
    Show

Two submitted artifacts, two rare shrine ofs. This one's less wacky johnny and more sideboard hate. Likely unplayable in limited, this card looks like it would shine in EDH and possibly some MUD brew boards.

Flavor-wise, Venserís powers are all about teleportation. This cardís all about... anti-cheating? The original legendary was a remand/unsummon on a stick, but eventually he gained the ability to make things go poof, as depicted on his PW ult and on the card Dispatch. Jin-Gitaxis is mentioned on Dispatch, where Venser appears in Karnís daydream, but otherwise the two donít have any connection. Having never read the novels, Iím not sure why Venser would be considered a betrayer of Jin-Gitaxis, or really of anybody short of Windgrace or Leshrac maybe ó I donít recall him every being on their side, despite his chop shop of phyrexian junkers. Why would they build a shrine to him? Being that this guy is dead now, I can safely say this isnít discussing future events.

Sorry, that was kind of a long aside. Anyway, this card is a narrow but completely blowout-causing hate card, and those are basically the backbone of modern. Unfortunately, supplemental sets are legal only in eternal formats, so this canít get where it needs.

For art, I went with a dilapidated but clearly grand ruin to cover the "shrine" and "legacy" parts, and a clearly failed attempt to sent a terminator back in time explains the connection to Venser. The dark sky feels a bit new phyrexian to me, but I didnít play during that set so what do I know.

Spoiler: Set Information
    Show
    Set Spoiler
    It has the following non-evergreen keywords: Protection, Flashback.

It has the following non-evergreen aura types: Curse, Pilgrimage.

Its limited environment supports +1/+1 counters.

It has the following tokens: 0/1 green Plant creature.

Likely set information: There is a cycle of uncommon pilgrimages. There is a Bx Sacrifice Archetype. Unfortunately, rares and mythics generally don't give concrete information on larger set design, since they tend to be one-offs.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    LaZodiac! The card is clean, interesting, appropriately powered at its rarity, and suggests a lot about both the set (mechanically) and the future of the multiverse in a pretty simple package. Commons and uncommons are the lifeblood of sets designed for limited.

(2) tgva8889, I loved your design too, the problem is that a mid to high-cost red enchantment that does nothing on its own is hard to balance, regardless of the rest of the set. Even still, your card got my wheels turning like none of the others. It's some cool design space.

(3) Diego Havoc, as you could tell from my free-write response, I think Shrine to Bolas is a card with endless possibilities. To some extent, it frightens me. My largest complaint was that the Vorthos (flavor suggesting to throw it into grixis) worked against the Melvin (mechanics that probably work better with a non-grixis shell).

I can only assume that people will read this and realize what types of cards I like

I really enjoyed this contest. Thanks again to everyone that entered. That said, if I make another, I think I'll start with a less ambitious prompt.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

A few comments, mostly just for discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) I made it legendary for balance, mostly. Controlling two Keral Keep Pilgrimages, for example, makes all your things deal 4 more damage, which is actually pretty ridiculous. I decided "let's not." Why not have more legendary permanents at lower rarities every once in a while? Just because it's legendary doesn't mean the pilgrimage is uncommon, merely that one only takes one in their lifetime.
    2) The effect of +1 damage out of all your things is surprisingly powerful. An enchantment that says "your things deal 1 more damage to anything they damage" is, at worst, "your creatures get +1/+0" most of the time. I figured the fact that it could scale a great deal in theory (I assume at least 4 other pilgrimages) was worth a bit more mana. Plus, who knows what other crazy scaling effects we get out of the others?
    3) I note you graded the version of the card before I changed it to noncombat damage to make the card more build-around for limited and less just powerful. I'm not honestly sure which is better, but I don't mind either way. I agree that I could have chopped off a mana to push it, but I feel like pushing a card like this that scales in Limited might be a bit problematic. In retrospect, I actually like the version you graded better.
    4) In terms of comparison, I'm not sure how much better costing 4R is than 3RR. It's certainly better for decks that want to splash, perhaps because they're playing many different colors to play a variety of pilgrimages.
    5) In your "set information" spoiler, you noted pilgrimage is an aura subtype. I believe you meant "enchantment subtype"?

Congratulations to the winner! I'm a sucker for elegant card designs myself.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-12-15 at 04:23 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

18. - Top - End - #198

Wow, I'm kind of surprised I won! Good job on the contest, it was really fun thinking of ideas for this one. I had an idea for a contest before yours but it ALSO involved Planeswalkers so I'm going to do a different one. Lets see...

Since we now know what {C} mana is, how about you all flex your creative muscle and create a card that involves {C} mana. That's the <> mana you may of been hearing about, and for those of you who don't know {C} mana is "Specifically colorless mana". I don't care how it uses colorless mana as long as it does in some way, and has good flavor for doing so!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-12-15 at 04:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A few comments on my card, is specifically said spell or ability, that means that combat damage does not trigger it. I don't know why the card version you made said sorce, but that is mechanically far more powerful than was intended for the card
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps more worryingly, it lets monowhite hold up plow mana then throw down any one of 8 charms, hindering light, deflecting palm, mana leak, etc. etc. etc. The cardís best niche is probably in a deck thatís not primarily grixis. Giving a deck structure using GW then splashing Shrine to Bolas for disruption feels a bit underwhelming in formats with ancient grudge, though Iíd need some playtesting to see. After all, Countersquall counters the first ancient grudge and costs the opponent some life too.

The largest concern is the color pie ó every card that reduces colored mana required to cast things is already a card of that color, while this allows monowhite decks to cast brainstorm and bolt.
    This occurred to me just yesterday, but I was busy and didn't have time to change it. I probably would have added an additional cost. Something along the lines of "As an additional cost to cast this, exile a swamp, island, or mountain from your hand."

Flavorwise, why does worshiping nicol bolas mean a benefit and drawback to those that already ally with him, and a major benefit to those that are his opposites?
    Who can fathom the inscrutable ways of Nicol Bolas?

For the art, I wanted a grand (Bolas wouldnít tolerate less) building with the Bolas horns. These arenít the Bolas horns, but if you hum a few bars they can fake it, and the color scheme is fantastic for a grixis-style artifact. It would look even better in a premodern border.
    It was an execellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Since we now know what {C} mana is, how about you all flex your creative muscle and create a card that involves {C} mana. That's the <> mana you may of been hearing about, and for those of you who don't know {C} mana is "Specifically colorless mana". I don't care how it uses colorless mana as long as it does in some way, and has good flavor for doing so!
    I went on Gatherer to look at colourless cards for this, since I'm not really sure what you can and can't do with colourless. Found this gem in the rulings section of Void Winnower:

Quote Originally Posted by Gatherer
    Yes, your opponent canít even. We know.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

21. - Top - End - #201

I provided a flavor explanation and card image in my post. Did you miss it?

The first ability was intended as a riff on the Theros gods, with Sophia gaining a measure of divinity after a certain measure was met. In accordance with my envisioned changes for the nature of divinity on Theros, it would be based on the number of allies she accumulates, rather than something abstract like devotion. The other abilities were inspired by the Ordeal cycle; the idea was that with her inspiration, all people could have power previously accessible only to the chosen of the gods. I wanted the benefit for getting three counters, and thus "completing the ordeal", to be something directly tied to the creature itself, and I went with granting indestructibility as a tie-in to the motif of accessible divine power and white's theme of protection.

Are you really making this set? Awesome. I'd love to help you with it, if you wish.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2015-12-15 at 01:55 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Unname 4CC
    Sorcery R
    Put target permanent outside the game. (It goes in its ownerís sideboard if they have one.)
    ďDeath is too good, utter obliteration not nearly enough, for such beings. Instead, we remove them from reality altogether.Ē
    - LiíKrelleth
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-12-21 at 11:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Paint in Gray 3CCC
    Sorcery M
    Each player sacrifices each land he or she controls. For each land a player sacrificed this way, that player may search his or her library for a land card that cannot produce colored mana and place that card onto the battlefield. Then each player shuffles his or her library.
    "And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, And the dry stone no sound of water." - The Waste Land BY T. S. Eliot

edited to make Mythic and account for lack of evergreen. . .
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2015-12-16 at 10:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Reduce to Gray 2<>
    Sorcery C
    Destroy target land. Its controller may search his or her library for a Waste, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle his or her library.
    "And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, And the dry stone no sound of water." - The Waste Land BY T. S. Eliot

(Waste is the new colorless basic land type)
    Waste is not a land type, they are subtypeless basic lands. You need to look for cards named "Waste" if you want to find it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    A few comments on my card, is specifically said spell or ability, that means that combat damage does not trigger it. I don't know why the card version you made said sorce, but that is mechanically far more powerful than was intended for the card
    You're right. I judged your card incorrectly. I'm sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I provided a flavor explanation and card image in my post. Did you miss it?

The first ability was intended as a riff on the Theros gods, with Sophia gaining a measure of divinity after a certain measure was met. In accordance with my envisioned changes for the nature of divinity on Theros, it would be based on the number of allies she accumulates, rather than something abstract like devotion. The other abilities were inspired by the Ordeal cycle; the idea was that with her inspiration, all people could have power previously accessible only to the chosen of the gods. I wanted the benefit for getting three counters, and thus "completing the ordeal", to be something directly tied to the creature itself, and I went with granting indestructibility as a tie-in to the motif of accessible divine power and white's theme of protection.

Are you really making this set? Awesome. I'd love to help you with it, if you wish.
    Aah, the ordeals. I searched gatherer for static abilities, so I didn't find those.

I did read your text and see your card; My explanation was purely in the gaps left by yours, chiefly in how the family lineage actually took place. I redid the card to keep the style consistent with the other cards I rendered.

I'm not planning to complete the set, I just like to set up frameworks where I can. If I keep working on any set at this point, it will probably be Speed Magic (my submission from the previous contest).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I went on Gatherer to look at colourless cards for this, since I'm not really sure what you can and can't do with colourless.
    Colorless can do anything as long as it's expensive enough and not blue.

26. - Top - End - #206

Paint in Gray 2<>
    Sorcery C
    Destroy target land. Its controller may search his or her library for a card named Waste, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle his or her library.

(Waste is the new colorless basic land (apparently typeless basic land - so it now searches for a card named Waste.)
    The vast majority of decks won't have any Wastes. So this is going to be just plain land destruction 95% of the time. Is that intended?

I did read your text and see your card; My explanation was purely in the gaps left by yours, chiefly in how the family lineage actually took place. I redid the card to keep the style consistent with the other cards I rendered.

I'm not planning to complete the set, I just like to set up frameworks where I can. If I keep working on any set at this point, it will probably be Speed Magic (my submission from the previous contest).
    Ah, okay.

Colorless can do anything as long as it's expensive enough and not blue.
    There are some effects that are off-limits to colorless, but they're not all in blue. Artifacts don't cover specific weaknesses of colors, like pinpoint artifact/enchantment removal. Interestingly, all the colorless-cost cards and abilities spoiled so far (Kozilek, Mirrorpool, Ruins of Sea Gate) fall squarely in blue's section of the color pie.

While this statement might have been close to true before, that was when colorless cards cost generic mana and could be played in any deck. It doesn't make much sense for cards that cost a specific type of (relatively restricted) mana to be more expensive than equivalent effects in other colors. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect from colorless-costed cards. There's no precedent for this in Magic history.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2015-12-15 at 11:14 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    The vast majority of decks won't have any Wastes. So this is going to be just plain land destruction 95% of the time. Is that intended?.
    Yes. Colorless (not generic) is essentially a 6th color, and is a lot harder to generate in current mana bases than people think. People must build around it going forward. In limited this will be almost useless as I am assuming going forward wizards will include waste and colorless (not generic) cards, to evolve what is essentially the 6th color. In standard, same thing. In other formats, there are better LD cards. In treating colorless as a 6th color we need to think of a mechanical and thematic identity. Land destruction in the sense of turning other lands into wastes is perfect for that in both a mechanical and thematic sense IMO.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Actually, Twisted Mind was for Jace. I'm not all that up to that on MtG lore. :p

Colourwarp : <X>
    Sorcery - R
    Generate X Mana of any colour (Except colourless).
    Last edited by Atomburster; 2015-12-15 at 11:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Yes. Colorless (not generic) is essentially a 6th color, and is a lot harder to generate in current mana bases than people think. People must build around it going forward. In limited this will be almost useless as I am assuming going forward wizards will include waste and colorless (not generic) cards, to evolve what is essentially the 6th color. In standard, same thing. In other formats, there are better LD cards. In treating colorless as a 6th color we need to think of a mechanical and thematic identity. Land destruction in the sense of turning other lands into wastes is perfect for that in both a mechanical and thematic sense IMO.
    They've already said Wastes aren't returning since it's specifically related to Eldrazi, so unless they return, no wastes. Additionally, considering all the cards that are like "do x thing to get colored mana, or just get colorless mana" it's not as hard as you'd think. This isn't a sixth colour, it's just giving Colorless a mana symbol that says "must be colorless."

Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post
    Actually, Twisted Mind was for Jace. I'm not all that up to that on MtG lore. :p

Colourwarp : <X>
    Sorcery - R
    Generate X Mana of any colour (Except colourless).
    Colorless is not a color, so this effect is not needed. Any ability that says "Add any color of mana to your mana pool" has the implied "not colorless mana" due to it's very nature of "not being a color".

Full disclosure I may of made this contest in part to help educate people about this mechanic as quickly as possible for when/if it starts becoming more prevelant in these contests, since it's an interesting design space.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Where did they say wastes aren't returning? They aren't going to use the C mana requirement again?