A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [OOC 0] Aurora Tenebrosa: A Pathfinder Homebrew-Setting Horror Game (Invite Only)

Our legends tell us that the three Aspects, the three pure beings of Order, Balance, and Change, lifted man out of the grime and muck of our once-barren world, and created for - and through - them a garden where they could live in safety and harmony. From once impotent and hunched-over apes, little better than animals, they were granted a special boon: The ability to call upon the very cosmic winds from which they shaped the universe, and exert it to control the land. We know this today as 'divine magic', and with magic, along with the two draconic servants of the Aspects, Titan and Leviathan, man carved out a lush paradise on this planet - our home, our wellspring.

The world of Eldin.

For 2000 years, man grew, until he covered the entirety of the globe, master of his own domain, and everywhere he went he spread the word of the Aspects. But one day, the unthinkable happened. All over the world, nine chasms opened, and horrible monsters emerged, the denizens of another dimension called Hell which was accessible from deep beneath the earth. An army of monstrous, slavering beasts called daemons, led by their more sophisticated but no less malevolent cousins devils, threatened to cover Eldin. Even the magic of the Aspects could do naught but contain them, and the hope of the people wavered.

But fate saw fit to intervene, and a hero emerged - a man of grace and purity named Ulftyr, who discovered a new power in the depths of the Earth on a grand mission to seal one of the chasms. Like divine magic, it too harnessed the cosmic winds, but the powers it bestowed upon its bearers were unlike anything that had been seen before. Using this power, Ulftyr rallied an army of hundreds of thousands, and in a great campaign sealed the foul aberrations of Hell back within their fiery domain.

And so, over these last 100 years, a new age dawned - the Age of Arcana. With the power of advanced technology and magic working in tandem, mankind has prospered, and sealed his grip over Eldin. But now, nightmarish forces have dawned, and if a way to contain them is not found, I fear mankind shall fall to oblivion.

It is a dark dawn that is upon us... and I am afraid that we will not live to see the light.

Hello, everyone, and welcome to
    AURORA TENEBROSA!

As (most of) you all know, I have recently taken my first steps into being a DM with the highly successful Aurum Draconiaci, an elaborate excuse for me to quote Monty Python, spout memes, and pass it off as entertainment a more comedic campaign set in the standard world of Golarion. But ever since I started out as a DM, I've very much wanted to create a more serious story. And in particular, there's a particular 'way the party meets up' technique that I've seen all of once in my career, and have wanted to see again ever since.

As such, I am proud to announce the creation of my very homebrew setting, through which, as the DM, I will guide you on a Lovecraftian Carnival of Horrors as you fight to avert a disaster of epic proportions? Who will die? Who will survive? And what will be left of them - nay, the world - when it is all over?

Now, unfortunately, Aurora Tenebrosa isn't quite ready for play just yet. As (again, most of) you all know, I have recently been undergoing the most stressful part of my entire life: My licensure exam to become a Physical Therapist. Because of that exam, I have been able to do little more than eat, sleep, and study, and so up until now have not been able to devote any free time to writing and creating the world, much less anything beyond the raw basics of the storyline.

So what's going to happen is this.

Over the next month and a half, until play officially begins on the 22nd of December - the first day of winter - I am going to be creating it all in front of you! By putting my work out here in the open, where it's much more visible and vulnerable to critique, that will provide the incentive I need to get the campaign ready and up to snuff. In the meantime, feel free to talk amongst yourselves, ask questions, and offer suggestions to improve my shoddy writing.

And now, without further ado, the Big 16!

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.) and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting of the game (e.g. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc?).
    The game will be set in my own homebrew campaign setting, which I've given the tentative title of The Wellspring Saga. The setting is fantasy with some steampunk and a lot of horror elements - think a mix between Eberron and Bloodborne, the latter of which is a heavy influence.

3. How many players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so how many?
    5 players at a minimum, maybe 6.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, email, etc.)?
    Right here on the OOTS boards!

5. What is the character's starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 3, as all sensible low-level campaigns should.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    3,000 gold pieces each.

7. What character classes, professions, orders are allowed?
    If it's in an official Pathfinder book, it's fair game. As such, all classes from the Core, Base, Advanced, Hybrid, and Psychic Occult class guides are allowed. And yes, that includes the dreaded gunslinger, summoner, and - gasp! - the arcanist. Where relevant, you may choose between the normal or Unchained version of the class.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?
    All core races (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, et cetera) are allowed.
    Of the Featured races, Aasimar, Tieflings, Dhampir, Catfolk, a non-traditional take on Goblins (described in House Rules, see below), Orcs, Ratfolk, Fetchlings, and Tengu are allowed.
    Of the Uncommon races, Changelings, Samsarans, Kitsune and Vanara are allowed. Alternate Heritages for both Aasimar and Tieflings are allowed.
    And finally, of the races from the Pathfinder Ivalice document seen here, Bangaa, Moogles, Viera, Nu Mou, Garif, and Gria are allowed.

9. By what method should players generate their attributes/ability scores and hitpoints?
    You have two choices: Either you may roll 4d6b3, or you can take 20-Point Buy. If you are dissatisfied with your rolls and have a total modifier below +7, I will allow you to take the Point Buy instead.
    As for HP, put down Max at first level, then roll for every level thereafter. If any of your rolls are below half your hit dice, round it up to half. (So for d6, d8, d10, and d12, the minimum HP you will gain per level would be 3, 4, 5, and 6.)
    For traits, use two traits, no drawbacks. As an option (but not mandatory), you may choose to take a 'campaign trait', a selection of which I will offer below.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No Evil or 'Stupid' Alignments. For those opting to take a Neutral Alignment, let it be known: I am fine in you engaging in anti-heroic behaviour, even to the point of being outright byronic in nature, but I have two stipulations.
    a) I expect you to be on board with 'saving the world', as it were. If you want to leave the world worse than you found it, I suggest you go try one of the many sessions of Way of the Wicked.
    b) I will not do Elder Scrolls-style morality where everyone everywhere knows about your sins, but if you're not smart about what you do, expect to develop a negative reputation.
    c) Lastly, if you in any way screw over your fellow players or do something awfully and irrevocably evil/stupid in-character (see example here), I will instantly kill your character and toss you out. No saving throw. Given that I have played with all of you and consider you friends, I don't anticipate this being necessary, but I like to state this sort of thing up front.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Nothing concrete; just make sure that your character has some internal consistency.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    The forum dice roller will be used for all rolls. To keep an atmosphere of mystery, horror, and anticipation, I will roll all Perception, Sense Motive, and Knowledge skills. For other rolls, roll in the IC thread as needed. If you muck it up, reroll in the OOC thread.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Several, actually, to the point where I decided that it would be best to give them their own section. See the spoiler box below this one for a complete list.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Background is essential to the selection process - he who has the best background gets picked. At least 1/2 of a page would be nice, but don't think you have to be too extravagant. You will all be starting in the capital city of the nation of Bastion, Gottenburg - what you are doing there is up to you, and will likely evolve as I give you more about the setting.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I intend for there to be a balance between all three, though the first two may tend to take a bit of emphasis at times.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Paizo-only, sorry. I've found that 3rd party stuff is too much of a headache.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    Because Aurora Tenebrosa is going to use a lot of house rules, I thought it best to give them their own section.
    1. Block Initiative.
    I have never, in my entire life, seen a PbP game that used RAW initiative and lasted more than two pages. As such, how it will work is this. Before a battle, I roll the initiative for you, any allies you have, and the enemy, then average them all out. Whatever group rolls higher overall gets to go first, and whatever one rolls lower gets to go last. Within said block, you may all choose to act in any order you wish; this allows for strategic flexibility and ensures that we don't get bogged down waiting for someone to post.

2. Spell Attack.
    In Warriors of Blackvale, we used this before it was cool, but now in Pathfinder Unchained it was made an official alternate rule. For the purposes of this campaign, we will be using a very robust Google Docs-based system, which I shamelessly stole from Felhammer and Mathemagics. As part of that system, whenever you roll your attacks and such, you can input them directly into the spreadsheet and it will tell you whether or not your attack hit. This works both with ordinary attacks and with spells, but because of that spells work a little differently. Rather than the enemy rolling a Will, Reflex, or Fortitude Save against your spell, you now use the spell to to make a Spell Attack against their Will, Reflex, or Fortitude Defense.

How it works is quite simple. To get your Will/Reflex/Fort Defenses, you simply take your Saves under the old system and add them to 11. So, for instance, a Level 10 Fighter with base saves of 5 Fort and 2 Will/Reflex would have defenses of 13, 13, and 16. Whenever a spell or ability targets these defenses, you take the DC it would have under the old system, subtract 10, and use that as a modifier to roll a d20. So, for instance, a Fireball of DC 20 would be a d20+10 roll. The enemy rolls a 5, giving a result of 15... and the fighter is figuratively toast.

3. Background Skills and Stamina/Combat Tricks from Pathfinder Unchained.
    Best thing in all of Pathfinder Unchained. If you don't use them, you're a bloody fool. We're using them. Also, to give Fighters a little boost, we're using the Stamina and Combat Tricks rules from the same book. Fighters get access to Combat Stamina as a bonus feat; everyone else must take it manually.

4. Custom Races - Ivalice Pathfinder RAces, Homebrew Goblin Race shamelessly stolen from Mathemagics, and Warforged.
    Because the world of Eldin is different from Golarion, there are different races available for selection. The first of these, as a big group, is the races of Ivalice, as linked to in Pathfinder Ivalice document seen here. You may choose from the Bangaa, Viera, Nu Mou, Moogles, Gria, and Garif.

Also, because of the steampunk influence on Eldin, I have wanted to have a construct race as an option. Rather than taking Pathfinder's Android race, however, which is completely wrong for the setting and honestly not that great, I am taking this port of the Warforged race from Eberron.

And lastly, I'm proud to admit I stole this. In his short-lived but wonderful campaign Waker's Awakening, Mathemagics created a custom version of the Goblin Race that I think is much better than the official one. As such, we're going to use that instead. The fluff of the Goblins in this universe will be described in a later post; for now, however, have some crunch.

...I miss you, Sarrox. :'(

Spoiler: Goblin Crunch
    Show
    Goblins
    Standard Racial Traits

• Ability Score Racial Traits: Goblins are dexterous and clever, but not well-known for their common sense. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom.
    • Size: Goblins are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
    • Type: Goblins are humanoids with the goblinoid subtype.
    • Base Speed: Goblins have a base speed of 30 feet.
    • Languages: Goblins begin play speaking Common and Goblin. Goblins with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, and Orc.

Defense Racial Traits
    • Oblivious to Danger: Goblins receive a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against fear effects.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits
    • Ingenuity: Goblins receive a +2 racial bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (Engineering) checks.

Magical Racial Traits
    • Pyromania: Goblins are treated as +1 level higher when casting spells with the fire descriptor, using granted powers of the Fire domain, using bloodline powers of the Fire Elemental bloodline, using the revelations of the Flame mystery or hexes of the Flame spirit, and determining the damage of alchemist bombs that deal fire damage. This trait does not grant early access to these powers. Goblins with a Charisma score of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day— dancing lights, flare, and spark. The caster level for these effects is equal to the goblin’s character level. The DC for these spells is 10 + the spell’s level + the goblin’s Charisma modifier.

Offense Racial Traits
    • Weapon Familiarity: Goblins are proficient with short swords and the gobbie frypan.

Senses Racial Traits
    • Low-Light Vision: Goblins can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.

Gobbie Frypan
    Exotic Weapon
    Cost: 14 GP
    Damage: (S)1d4, (M)1d6
    Crit: 19-20/x3
    Weight: 3 lb
    Type: B
    Special: A gobbie frypan inflicts 1 point of sonic damage on a critical hit. This does not stack with the thundering weapon property.

5. Optional Campaign Traits.
    There are many diverse organizations in the country of Bastion, and many backgrounds one can come from. As part of my mission to enrich the history of this world, I will be offering homebrew traits to help give you a connection to these. Taking these is not mandatory and is completely optional, but counts as one of your two allowed traits.

6. Advanced Commonplace Firearms.
    The world of Eldin is fairly advanced, being kind of steampunky at times. As such, the pace of firearms is a fair bit more advanced than what you would see on, say, Golarion. Advanced Firearms will be in the game, with the Commonplace Guns setting - early guns cost 25% of normal, advanced firearms can be brought and crafted for full price, and firearms are considered martial rather than exotic weapons.

7. Psychic Casting and Demoralization Fix.
    I fully confess that I'm only partway through reading the Occult classes stuff, but I have had it pointed out to me that the Mesmerist (I'm not sure if it holds true for other classes such as the Psychic) suffers from a bit of a crippling weakness - if they are demoralized, they cannot cast. This is a bit much, in my opinion, as other casting classes do not have a smiliar disability. As such, I've found what appears to be a reasonable compromise. As the shaken condition put on by Intimidate already affects ability checks and spell resistance, I am going to rule that it hurts this kind of casting just a bit more. Mesmerists can still cast while shaken, but the penalty is increased to -4 rather than -2.

8. Insanity Rules.
    Because of the Lovecraftian influences of this campaign, I wanted to include some kind of Insanity mechanic. However, upon looking over the 'official' insanity rules for Pathfinder, I decided they were much too harsh, as Ability damage is much too severe for what I had in mind. As such, I've found an alternate set of rules. These much more closely emulate what I had in mind, giving the adventure a sort of Amnesia: The Dark Descent kind of feel - becoming unstable is bad, and insanity more so, but it doesn't automatically mean you die, and there are ways to heal yourself provided you don't let it get out of hand.

The full details of the rules can be found here, but here's a brief summary of how it works. There will be some change from the rules as written to better fit in with the Spell Attack system.

Each character will have a Stability score, which is equal to 10 plus your will save or your level, whichever is higher. (I am currently considering changing this to being 10 plus both those scores, to give you all a little more breathing room.) Whenever you come upon a Horrific Sight, the sight in question will make a roll against your Will Defense. For the purposes of bonuses, weaknesses, and immunity, this is treated as a fear effect. If it 'misses', you are unaffected, if it hits, you take a certain amount of Sanity Damage to your Stability score. When your Stability drops below 10, you are treated as Shaken; below 5, Frightened, and below 0 Panicked. Stability can be recovered via resting, at a rate of your level per eight hour's rest - double that for a full day of resting.

9. Healing while Resting.
    In many campaigns nowadays, for the sake of convenience, DMs and players use what I like to call Neverwinter Nights 2-style healing, where a night's rest restores all your hit points. To increase the tension in this game, we will be doing things slightly differently. To compromise between the restrictive RAW and the generous NWN2, I will be saying that each eight hour's rest recovers a roll of your highest hit dice, plus your constitution modifier, plus your level. So, for instance, a Level 3 fighter with a Con of 14 would recover 1d10+5 HP per night. You may add 1 additional Hit Die to the roll at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. If your roll would give you more HP than your stated maximum, that extra HP is lost.

DM Note: If you have any particular suggestions regarding any of the rules I've set up, do not be afraid to take it up with me. The ultimate goal of this is to have fun.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-15 at 07:56 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [OOC 0] Aurora Tenebrosa: A Pathfinder Homebrew-Setting Horror Game (Invite Only)

Over the next several weeks, I will be developing more and more content for the setting, and placing it here so as to help you develop your characters and build anticipation for the world in which you will be adventuring! Until then, this post will serve as a placeholder of sorts.

THE HISTORY OF ELDIN (AND MORE SPECIFICALLY THE CONTINENT ON WHICH YOU FIND YOURSELVES, TEIEN)

Spoiler: If you'll turn to Chapter 1 with me...
    Show

The Gift of Magic

As with all primitive civilizations, the origins of life on Eldin are shrouded in mystery, and myths and legends have evolved as once-accurate stories over the years have mutated and acquired added details and omitted events in their retellings. This is mitigated somewhat by the presence of Titan and Leviathan, who surprisingly enough, have been rather forthcoming on some key points - but equally reticent on others, which has served to infuriate more than one budding historian/archaeologist. Nonetheless, this means that the theology and history of Eldin are inextricably linked.

In any case, the creation myths of Eldin all link back to Bastion - or at least, the swath of land just north of the equator that is now called Bastion, and, even more specifically, the city now known as Gottenburg. The earliest known remains of all the various races - save for the ones with planar blood - can be found in the hills and valleys around what is now known as the Bay of Ascendance. Accoring to legend, after the planet was first created by the Aspects, it was originally void and barren, shrouded by perpetual clouds of fog and ash. The sole inhabitants were monsters from another time and place, known as the Fyadir - or, as they would eventually be abbreviated into, the Fey. The various races of man were highly primitive, little more than simian or reptilian monsters barely capable of intelligent thought - until one day, the Aspects made themselves known for the first and only 'known' time in history. Briefly parting the skies to reveal the sun, moon, and stars beyond, and releasing some of the cosmic dust that formed their being, the Aspects gave man his intelligence, as well as the ability to use magic. This magic was to be used to help shape the world into a place more suitable to habitation by sentient beings, and to help keep the world from descending back into its current hellish state. To help them, the Aspects also sent their two Stewards, Titan and Leviathan, to guard primitive man.

Titan and Leviathan have been rather silent about the actual way it happened, but they have confirmed that the Aspects were ultimately responsible for both man's sentience and magic ability. In any case, because this great gift was ultimately responsible for the world as we know it today, the calendar across all nations on Eldin uses the same marking - the years AA, or "After the Aspects" (translated as appropriate).

The Dawn of Civilization (0 AA - 220 AA)

Man soon put his gifts to good use, and the earliest settlement known to mankind spawned where Gottenburg lies today. Because of the nearby sea and river, along with the many rolling hills, the location offered natural protection against the shambling horrors that walked the surface of the world in its early days - and, once man began to bring life back into the world (with the dragon's help), the area proved to be a wellspring of natural resources. Game became plenty, as did lumber for building shelters, and the land proved perfect for farming as man determined how to make crops grow - and with the aid of magic, to control soil water levels and plant growth, allowing for the maximum production of food.

However, even with these bounteous gifts, or perhaps because of them, the population of what would eventually become known as Uppruna exploded to beyond the point where primitive man could live comfortably in that location. Fighting broke out, and the first war might have occured at that time had the Dragons not intervened. So instead, each race of man sent forth a champion to fight one another in a massive free-for-all duel - the last standing would win. It was, of course, quite the brutal fight (though thankfully no blood was actually shed), and in the end came down to a three way battle between the human named Anarson, a catfolk named Halkland, and a Viera named Eponine. The details vary between the tellings, but most of them agree that somehow, Anarson maneuvered such that he tricked Halkland and Eponine into knocking each other out at the same time, leaving him the only one conscious - and the victor.

The Parting of Ways (220 AA - 800 AA)

In the wake of the climactic duel, the various races all came to an agreement. The various humanoid races - elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, gnomes, and halflings - would remain in the general area, while the beastfolk would go east, toward the other side of the continent. Eponine lead what would later become popularly known as the Fantasiac races west, across the ocean, having received a vision from the Aspect of Balance that their destiny lay in a land far away from there. That land became known as the continent of Kastali, while the beastfolk eventually found the eastern coast of Teien and also decided to set sail, taking up residence on the huge archipelago that would come to be known as the Kaibun Archipelago.

The humanoid races, left to their own devices, were content to live with one another for a while, living in the kingdom of Uppruna that was named after the town founded there. However, eventually, they grew once again to a point where they could not sustain the population in such a small area, and fighting threatened to break out once again. The king at the time, one Feyborg Utherson, called a meeting of the various heads of clans, ostensibly to help divide up a fair decision for everyone. However, Feyborg, being fanatically devoted to his own clan, intended to keep the majority of the land around Uppruna for himself. (It is worth noting that, on account of their natural fear of the still-prevalent monsters of the world, the furthest that any man had ventured from Uppruna at that point and returned was about 120 miles.) As such, he spent a goodly amount of time sowing discord between the various races, even the other humans. When he was inevitably found out by a goblin named Turbix Keenears, the other races of man killed him and, in disgust, departed Uppruna for greener pastures. In the words of one dwarven scholar living at the time:

Anything was preferable to spending one more day within an hour's walk of that traitorous cur.
    The elves departed to the east, seeking refuge amongst the peaceful forests in which they found communion, while the gnomes and several other families of humans went south. The orcs, halflings, and dwarves, in the meantime, departed northeast; the goblins, while scattering in all directions, saw their largest numbers go this way as well. Finally, to the northwest, a particular dynasty of humans left - the exiled family of Feyborg, retreating to lick their wounds and one day exact vengeance upon those who had 'wronged' them. To top it all off, Titan and Leviathan, disgusted by the actions of their flock, left the world of man, retreating into the wilderness where they would not be seen again for centuries.

This Second Parting, as it would later be called, took place in 450 AA, and the next 350 years would be fraught with turmoil as the various races set out on their own. Spurred on by the comparative lack of diversity and increased emphasis on self-reliance, the humans, dwarves, goblins, and gnomes of Teien all individually discovered the secrets to forging steel, and with it, improved weaponry. With these new implements of destruction, no longer bound by the talents of their clerics, they set out to purge Eldin of the monsters that inhabited the surface. Emboldened by their progress, man soon became master of the lands - but, upon realizing steel was just as easily turned on his fellows, began clashing with one another as well. All across the continent, a dark age dawned in the year of 576, when independently, armies from modern-day Grafhall and Kurwa descended on what is now called Bastion, burning the ancient city of Uppruna to the ground. For 224 years, Teien would be marked by a series of neverending conflicts between small nations and citystates, the princes of the surface duking it out for territory and status as the progress of mankind fell under a shroud of neverending war.

Reign of the Auctoran Empire (794-1300 AA)

In the end, resolution came not through humankind, but rather through the most unlikely of sources - a dwarf, a viera, a goblin, a gria, a kitsune, and an orc. Though the various races of man had largely ceased contact after the second parting of ways, the dwarves and orcs quickly realized that their new homes (the caverns beneath the Veggur mountain range and the modern-day Kruzharth Highlands, respectively), each had necessary resources that the other lacked. Realizing that the reasons for the initial split had been dubious at best and stupid at worst, they tentatively began making contact with each other once again, forging an alliance - steel, ores, and weapons for the orcs, and lumber and food for the dwarves and goblins. Gradually, news of the cooperation began spreading outward and eventually reached the elves, who had sent ships out East and made contact once again with the beastfolk who now dominated the Kaibun Archipelago. A loose confederation for the purposes of trade formed, growing even as the humans and gnomes fought over much of western and southern Teien.

However, even with their relative independence from the humans, piece could not last forever. In the spring of 794, the northern human principality of Anguis was overrun by its southern neighbour, the kingdom of Virgam. Emboldened by their victory, the army of Virgam engaged in wanton plunder and rapine, some of which spilled over into the foothills of the Veggur mountains - and in a major failure of discipline, put a Halfling village known as Huswiston to the flame.

Very few people survived unscathed that night - less than twenty, in all. Among those twenty, there were six great warriors:
    Rufus IV, the third son of the king of the dwarves and a fighter of great renown.
    Furyū, an oracle in training from the island of Kiro.
    Elreox Pandancer, a goblin swashbuckler and aspiring storyteller with a mischievous streak.
    Hashira Chikara, an itinerant gria Paladin from Kastali.
    Annette Hyabusa, a kindly and graceful viera cleric.
    And last, but certainly not least, Degan, an orcish barbarian and Furyū's bodyguard.

The six had originally been in Huswiston on business, arranging an updated treaty between all three of their continents on neutral ground. Enraged by this act of hostility and tragedy that had befallen the hamlet, the six - with Rufus' father's permission - set out to exact justice, striking at the heart of the Virgaman army and loosening their grip on Anguis. However, rather than gratitude, Anguis reacted with fear, and at a conference the six set up to try and broker peace between the dwarves and the humans, they attempted to murder the lot of them.

The massive, crushing invasion that followed the week afterward in the wake of the unsuccessful assassination, lead by no less than Titan himself - who Hashira had finally found through a vision after centuries of absence - led the king to fully consider the meaning of the phrase 'self-fulfilling prophecy'.

Realizing that the situation over all the human-controlled areas of Teien was as bad as, if not worse than, the situation in Anguis and Virgam, Rufus' father Tyr united the elves, orcs, dwarves, and goblins, seeking to end the Dark Age that had gripped Teien. And in six short years, they had claimed all of the continent north of the equator and, in a final push, reclaimed the former Uppruna and future Gottenburg - and founded the Auctoran empire.

With Rufus at its head, the Auctorans eventually conquered all of Teien, ushering in a golden era of piece that would last for almost 500 years. Titan and Leviathan emerged once again, emboldened that someone had sought to champion goodness yet again, and lent their strength to their cause. But nothing lasts forever, and in 1300, the last Emperor of Auctora - Emperor Ljuka - died, and his sons, consumed with their own desire for power, split his empire into fragments.

The Second Dark Age (1300-1700)

The schism between Emperor Ljuka's sons was the catalyst for what would become Teien's darkest hour yet. Not wanting to share control between the three of them, as their father had wished for, each of them siezed a piece of the continent - the eldest what is now modern-day Bastion and Grafhall, the middle child Sholar and the lands to the south, and the youngest what is now modern-day Kurwa - along with the Auctoran outposts in the equatorial rainforests. Immediately, the three of them set about warring with one another, draining their empires of resources and manpower in a desperate attempt to retake control. This drain produced strife of its own as the wars drew on for decades, with no end in sight, until finally, in 1414, the people of Teien snapped.

The ancestral family line of Feyborg Utherson, forgotten since the Second Parting of Ways, rebelled against the grandson of the eldest prince, while the princes own estate split into two, engaged in a bloody civil war. Both Kurwa and Sholar, in the meantime, descended into a fractured bunch of city states and barbarian tribes, while the dwarves, elves, and orcs retreated to their ancestral lands and established extreme border control, terminating any unwanted outsiders with extreme prejudice. For over 150 years, the entire continent existed in a constant state of small-scale regional conflicts, and the rivers ran red with blood. The effect was not entirely unlike our own Dark Ages, with technological and social progress stagnating to an extreme - for in the grim, dark wildlands of Teien, there was only war.

All was not completely lost, however. Turning his back on humankind once again out of disgust, Titan retreated beneath the Veggur mountain range with the dwarves, who formed one of the last bastions for what could be, charitably, called good. Leviathan, in the meantime, retreated to the far off continent of Kastali, where she would remain until Bastion was founded. Beneath the mountains, the dwarves, together with their friends the goblins, worked hard to continue a peaceful and orderly civilization, and through their invention created the foundation of modern civilization. Refining forging, creating proto-manufacturing and assembly line methods, perfecting the art of subterranean crop cultivation, and creating an early precusor to the printing press that was used to carve runes into rock.

And it was that invention, along with one other, that would catalyze the return of civilization and order to Teien.

The Founding of Bastion and the Modern Nations (1700-2000)

While small-scale conflicts dominated the majority of the second Dark Age, by the time the 1600s rolled around, the continent as a whole suffered from war fatigue. Villages and towns all over began retreating into their shells, and isolationism became the norm. There are always exceptions to the rule, however, and with the absence of further conflict, trade caravans from the dwarves and elves - who had reformed the remains of their little sections of Auctora into what are now Tiwaz and Lotarwa - began filtering out into the world again. With their technology being several leaps and bounds ahead of any of the human-dominated nations, it was not long before their merchants began to represent a lifeline for the outside world, along with a source of extreme profit for them - and a ripe target for raiders.

To combat against the monsters of the Underdark, as well as bandits, in 1677 a dwarven and goblin alchemist team created the first portable firearms. These caught the attention of one Inquisitor Sparatus, the ruler of the lands around the Bay of Ascension, and he inquired as to the possibility of purchasing them; however, the dwarves refused. They did, however, do brisk business in other areas, including early steampowered machines and a mechanized rune-carver - which, in turn, was the inspiration for one Johann Georgson to invent the printing press, and together with Rikard Kennarison, lead to the founding of Myrkvi University. This accumulating wealth on both Sparatus' and the dwarves part, however, was a temptation that not many could pass up.

In 1700, Grafhall, apparently tired of keeping to their own little corner of the continent, surged south and invated Sparatus' lands. By fate or otherwise, a major trade caravan happened to be there at the time, and with their help, Sparatus was able to repel the invasion. In the aftermath, it was found that Grafhall also had eyes on Tiwaz, and so Sparatus came to an agreement with them at last - in exchange for a permanent trade alliance and a substantial amount of tribute, Tiwaz would share the secrets of firearms to outsiders for the first time.

It was used to devastating effect.

A veteran of war and a very canny commander, Sparatus and his troops took to firearms like fish to water, and began a campaign to push Grafhall forces back. Upon seeing the results, nearby provinces began to tremble, but Sparatus, in a moment of diplomacy, reached out to them all and gave them an offer - an offer to cease scrabbling at the lands and unite once more, one nation under a single banner. With the exception of what is now modern-day Paladus, all of them accepted, and Sparatus united their armed forces and won a decisive victory at Ainguard Keep that saw Grafhall on the run.

With all of central Teien under his banner, Sparatus came to a conclusion. Civilzation had languished for far too long in the shadow of the Auctoran Empire. While he did not have the same far-flung aspirations of conquering an entire continent, Sparatus knew that the people could and should expect better. And so it was that he decided that he would form a Bastion of progress, one that would keep the balance and be a beacon of hope in the years to come.

And so it was. In response to the actions of Bastion, the southern nation of Kurwa was also formed, fearful of an invaions; however, aside from mutual competition in the equatorial forests, neither made for overt war, keeping each other at arms length via trade embargos and small-scale skirmishes. Under the rule of the now-Archon Sparatus I and is successors, Bastion became a scientific and divine powerhouse, establishing trade to all corners of the globe once more.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

The War on Hell (2000-2050)

People for years to come would remember where they were and what they were doing when the news came that fateful Martronacht. At the stroke of noon, the skies all over the world grew grey and dim, and nine great fissures opened in the ground. 4 of them were on Teien (one in central Grafhall, one beneath the capital of Tiwaz, one just 100 miles south of Gottenburg, and another on the border between Sholar and Kurwa), 2 in the Kaibun Archipelago, and 3 in Kastali. Out of these holes, horrific monsters, red as blood with monstrous claws and draconic wings (in seeming mockery of the lords Titan and Leviathan) crawled out, raping, murdering, and pillaging anything that got in their way. Those who survived, often only one or two people sent ahead to instill fear into the hearts of Man, named their attackers as denizens not of this world. Apparently, they were from another plane of existence altogether - the chaotic demons, the maleficent daemons, and the conniving devils, natives of the fiery pits of Hell. And at the head of each army, there was a great general, a monster greater and more powerful than anything seen before - and oddly similar to the mythical Fyadir of old.

Praying to the Aspects and pleading with Titan and Leviathan (who had made a prompt reappearance) for help, another plane was opened in response, with its denizens - the kind and holy Angels of Heaven - making their first big appearance as the armies of Hell attempted to raze Gottenburg - a name it acquired in the aftermath of the batten as a way of thanking the aspects for their intervention.

Even with the help of the Angels, however, mankind struggled to push the devils back to hell, barely able to keep them from doing any more damage then had already been done. For 50 years, people lived in a barely suppressed state of fear and terror, waiting for the day when their salvation would come.

And come it did... though not in a way anyone would have expected.

All that changed when a man named Ulftyr and his companion Asger discovered arcane magic, merging the divine and the arcane to drive the demons back into their rifts once and for all.

The Age of Arcana (2050 - 2150, Present Day)

It came to pass that there were two men of Bastionese descent serving the Percellan hunters - one, a Paladin of Order named Ulftyr, and the other, a Cleric of Change known as Asger. In 2045, while on patrol in the lands directly to the south of Gottenburg, they came across a strange, bulbous creature, luminescent blue in appearance and quite hostile. They were able to slay the creature with relative ease, but not having seen its like before, were naturally confused as to where it had come from. In what would turn out to be a major turning point, they decided to break away from their standard patrolling orders to track where it had come from - and made an incredible discovery.

Following the creature's trail, they came upon a cave, and following it deep into the earth, found what appeared to be a building older than recorded history - with an architectural style unlike anything they had ever seen. Within in that ruin were yet more of the creatures, along with various mutated wildlife; what particularly drew their attention, however, was what appeared to be an ancient tome the approximate size and weight of a mans torso. When they opened it, they could not decipher the text - but found themselves to be suddenly infused with a strange power.

Emerging upon the surface, they found themselves confronted with a pair of roving demons, and engaged them in combat - but not before discovering that they had gained the aid of a different kind of magic unlike anything they had seen, as Ulftyr found himself able to bombard them with a storm of ice while Asger found himself able to turn the both of them invisible.

Returning to Gottenburg, Ulftyr and Asger promptly reported their findings, leading to a full-fledged investigation of the ruins. More artifacts were uncovered, detailing the training and procedure for summoning forth the power both of them had found - an entirely new source of magic, called 'Arcana'. With the help of this magic, Ulftyr and Asger began training the special forces and champions of Bastion in its use, and with its help were able to push the demons back for the first time in decades. With great effort, they were even able to completely push them back to the Gottenburg Rift - and seal it for good.

Having found a beacon of hope for the rest of the world, Ulftyr and Asger spread the knowledge of what they had found over all of Eldin, and within 5 years, had completely sealed the rest of the Rifts. On the 1st of Sjoman (the seventh month), almost 50 years after the War on Hell had first begun, mankind brought it to an end.

Much rejoicing, of course, followed.

However, the end of war was not all sunshine and bunnies. After the advent of peace, Ulftyr advocated that man should begin to embrace arcana, and learn all he could about it so that he could avert a similar disaster if it ever happened again. Asger, for reasons unknown (though most history writers suspect jealousy), sought to thwart him, claiming that, while useful, the magic was frought with dangers, and should be restricted to a select few. Things came to a head when he attacked Ulftyr one night. Before he could be apprehended, he fled to the north, toward Grafhall, where he disappeared, never to be found again. With his partner gone, Ulftyr grieved, but then proceeded ahead with his research.

Using arcane magic, Ulftyr established a new department at the famed Myrkvi University, where with his insight he began to usher in a new golden age. With his skills, he and his team augmented many existing technologies, such as the printing press, indoor plumbing, and steam engines, while inventing whole new ones, such as the school of divination (as well as developing techniques for it to be used by the divine classes), elemental powered dirigibles, and machines that could record sound onto magic crystals.

It is this age into which your characters will step. It is the 31st of Tiuman, Martronacht, and the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War on Hell. Even with the passage of time, it is a somber day, as many parts of Teien have yet to be reclaimed from the wilds - but even so, it is equally considered a time of celebration, as it is a reminder that no matter how dark things get, only when the night is blackest can you see the stars.

That, and children will take any excuse to dress up and go to carnivals - and Gottenburg has the biggest in all of Teien, occupying the entirety of the 3rd Circle of the city. It is 16:00 in the evening, and you have just arrived at the gates of the Carnival...

GEOGRAPHY

Spoiler: Chapter 2 can be found here...
    Show
    *in progress*

MAJOR CITIES AND SETTLEMENTS OF BASTION

Spoiler: Now to Chapter 3...
    Show
    Bastion is the largest and most populous nation on the continent of Teien, and also, according to legend, the oldest. It extends from the edge of the equatorial swamps and rainforests of Teien all the way through the temperate northern lands west of the Veggur mountain range, stopping some way into the northern pine forests south of the Hrattáin River (which marks the southern border of both the elven kingdom of Lotarwa and the human kingdom of Grafhall. In the west, it is bordered by the western coastline of Teien, including the Bay of Ascendance - and it is at the mouth of the Friðurlind River, in the Bay of Ascendance, where the metropolis of Gottenburg is located.

Gottenburg is widely considered to be the height of civlization on Teien, and is regarded as a marvel of engineering, city planning, and prosperity - or at least, the current form of it is. According to legend, Gottenburg is built on the very site on Eldin where the Aspects uplifted mankind and 'drew him toward the light'. Whatever the case, it is known by archaeologists that it is among the oldest settlements in the world, as early man was drawn toward the once-lush forests, once-plentiful veins of iron and copper, and the still-plentiful game, farmland, and fishing found in the area. It was contested frequently and often during the early days of man, and changed hands several times over the years. The two longest stretches of history where it has remained in one hand were from 800-1300 AA, in the hands of the Auctoran empire, and from 1700 AA to the current year, 2150 AA, where it exists in its current form as the capital of Bastion.

The current government of Bastion is a Theocracy dedicated to the Trinity of the Aspects, lead by Archon Iyeronim V, who is widely regarded as an alright ruler, if not approaching the legendary bravery of his grandfather Iyeronim III. Iyeronim V has nonetheless caught flak in recent years for cozying up too much to the arcanists at the Myrkvi University - lead by Proctor Darhow Voel - and not giving proper credence to the heads of the various Churches of the Aspects - Archbishops Reuel, Joanne, and Terence Howard (of Order, Balance, and Change, respectively). All the flipside, his supporters have credited this new arcane-first approach to the recent surge of prosperity in Bastion - for with the research of Myrkvi University, Bastion has made great strides in integrating the newly discovered arcane magic and technology. Of course, time will only tell what the eventual fruits of this path will be.

Spoiler: Population Demographics
    Show
    Every race in Eldin has a prominent population in some form or another in the nation of Bastion; however, it is chiefly inhabited by Humans. The majority of the world's Aasimar and Tieflings also live in the land, as the former find frequent employment among the church, while tieflings are either given low-ranking jobs there (where they can have an eye kept on them) or among the more questionably legal organizations. Merchant dwarves from Tiwaz often find work as crafters, blacksmiths, and factory owners, and Gottenburg has a noted Moogle neighbourhood. The largest Goblin city outside of Tiwaz, Gobsterraz, is also found in Bastion.

Spoiler: Cities
    Show
    Capital: Gottenburg - Population 120,000
    Gottenburg is the cultural and political center of Bastion, and is located on the west coast of Teien, in the Bay of Ascendance. As the capital of a Theocracy, the Church of the Aspects is, naturally, a very big employer. They are closely followed by Myrkvi University, whose famous arcane research department produces inventions that touch all aspects of life on Teien, from the military to the civilian. The biggest manufacturing of guns and plush dolls in the country are also located here, along with a thriving fishing industry.

Ainguard Keep
    - Population 50,000
    Not so much a city so much as it is a giant fortress, Ainguard Keep is said to be one of the most impenetrable citadels on the entire Continent. Located atop a hill and built into a cliffside overlooking the Hrattáin River, it is responsible for guarding the entirety of the border between Bastion and Grafhall, and as such is armed to the teeth. Over half of the population consists of some mix of Bastion's armed forces, with the civilian population working in lumber, mining (the area is, among other things, a very rich source of coal) and military support.

Balance's Hollow- Population 10,000
    Balance's Hollow, as one might guess from the name, is the headquarters of the Circle of the Eternal Sky, and is the major agricultural center of Bastion. Because of this, it is home to the largest population of halflings in the country, many of whom have family in the many outlying villages who tend the crops, animals, and textile mills. Because of the heavy forest nearby, it is also home to a significant sub-population of Elves and Viera.

New Hallar - Population 20,000
    New Hallar, like Ainguard Keep, is meant as a watching post for the northern border of Bastion, but is much closer to friendly territory than the latter, being next to a significant entrance to the dwarven kingdom of Tiwaz and the mountain pass through the Veggur Range to the orcish territories of the Kruzharth Highlands and the elven nation of Lotarwa. Because of this, it is a highly mercantile city, with one of the most diverse populations on the entire continent save for Gottenburg. Half-orcs, in particular, make up a significant portion of the population, with one of them even having managed to attain the rank of Cardinal in recent years - a move praised by the Kruzarth Highlands and the half-orcs of Bastion as being a move to allow their voice to be better heard in the nation's politics. Aside from trade, the city also does a brisk business in lumber, manufacturing, and mining.

Gobsterraz - Population 1,500
    While 1,500 people might not seem like a lot to many, by goblin standards, that's a lot - mainly because of their propensity for clumsiness and accidentally blowing stuff up. Nonetheless, Gobsterraz is the biggest Goblin settlement on Eldin outside of Gobbiesplatz in Tiwaz, and is a cultural hub for both them and the Moogles of Teien. Because of their propensity for invention, most of the city's business revolves around mining (the majority of the nation's precious jewels come from Gobsterraz, in fact), manufacturing, and R&D.

Hunter's Edge - Population 30,000
    The southernmost city of Bastion, Hunter's edge is on the intersection between Bastion, Kurwa, and the equatorial rainforests and jungles of Teien. As such, there is a highly military component to the city, though not as large as with Grafhall thanks to recent treaties. It is also a notable shipyard for the nation, and does brisk business in cultivating tropical fruit and dyes.

Aidzen - Population 8,000
    One of the more overlooked of Bastion's cities, it is commonly joked that Aidzen is made up because "Have you met anyone from Aidzen?" Being relatively far inland and to the southeast of Bastion, Aidzen is, in essence, very far away from most other settlements in the land, and unlike the other great metropolis' of the nation has very little in the way of unique exports. Farming dominates here, along with some lumber - but with the advent of increased leisure time thanks to the growing lower upper class and nascent middle class, Aidzen has gained a bit of a reputation as a good place to vacation.

THEOLOGY

Spoiler: And now Chapter 4, page 157...
    Show
    Unlike Golarion, virtually all known Civilizations on Golarion worship the same small handful of gods and demigods. It is taught that the three major gods of Eldin, known as the Aspects, were responsible for creating both the planet and the known universe - and, most importantly, giving all of mankind sentience. The details are long lost to legend and myth, but every child learns the same basic story, summed up in the following rhyme.

From dust we came, in depths most lonely hid,
    Until we all received the touch divine,
    Up to the sky all mankind looked in awe,
    The ash-streaked skies lit up with their great shine.

Three massive giants singing deep-toned hymns,
    The cosmic winds their gift, so strong and true,
    A spark of love descended down to us,
    "This power we now grant; our gift to you."

"'tis magic, children; and through your own will,
    This world, Eldin, is now yours to tend,
    Care for it, let the world give life anew,
    And yours will be a heaven without end."

The magic divine did clear up the skies,
    And mighty rivers sprang forth once again,
    Flora and fauna flocked to holy light,
    And blossomed in a world rid of pain.

And now we stand today, oh little ones,
    Caretakers of a land once ruined and fel,
    But ready we must always stand and wait,
    Lest Eldin once more play the host for Hell.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I do hope you all forgive me, as poetry is not my strong suit, least of all iambic pentameter.

Whatever the truth of the matter, it is commonly accepted that the world once was, for whatever reason, a much less pleasant place to live, and that it was the intercession of the Aspects that allowed it to become the beautiful place it now is. As such, every town, village, hamlet, and city, no matter how big, no matter has small, has, at the very least, a shrine to all three Aspects, with the larger settlements also having large and extravagant temples. The Three Great Cathedrals in Gottenburg, in particularly, are noted for their particular extravagance, and draw huge crowds during holy days, on top of being one of the largest employers in the city. Even in nations that do not maintain a Theocracy, a cleric or other divine communicant is always kept on as a key member of the local ruler's inner circle.

Of course, the Aspects are not the only divine beings that have touched the world of Eldin. To help mediate between the worlds of diety and man, the Aspects, at the beginning of Creation, wrought two magnificent serpentine servants to help them - the very first dragons. Today, these great wyrms still walk the earth with mankind; however, their specific locations are a closely guarded secret, and only rarely do they make their presence known - about 4 or 5 times each in an average man's lifetime, as the saying goes. Nonetheless, this physical presence, rare as it is, offers the people of Eldin some time-tested insight and wisdom, and superior firepower in dire times of need - notably, an exception was made to their prolonged absences in the 50-year-long War on Hell, where the great Wyrms and their offspring fought side by side with man.

The Aspect of Order

All of the various Aspects worshiped on Eldin are commonly told in legend and myth to be largely shapeless, consisting of little more than shambling, titanic hulks of cosmic dust held together via raw willpower. This aside, however, in all the stories, the Aspect of Order is generally held as being the Aspect with the most consistent form - a towering, quadrupedal, hulk with an elongated head-like protruberance, and four great horn-like appendages. In the story of Creation, it is said that the Aspect of Order raised the land to create great mountains, rolling hills, and towering cliffs.

Each of the Aspects is named for the aspect of Ethics that they most embody, and as such the Aspect of Order stands for all things Lawful. Followers of the Aspect of Order praise virtues such as obedience, loyalty, adherence to rules, and relability. At their most positive, this means bringing people of all types together into a greater cohesive whole, where everyone works in harmony to accomplish great things, both individually through inspiration from others and as a civilization. At their most negative, this means mindless slavery, lack of free thought, an unchanging status quo, and unyielding abuse of power.

The symbol of the Aspect of Order is a giant arrow pointing upward, with three lines of increasing length struck through from the middle to the bottom.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Favored Weapon: Fauchard
    Deific Obedience: This ceremony is always performed at dawn, or, if the sun cannot be seen from your current location, as close to 06:00 as possible. Don your full clerical vestments and stare into the rising sun (or straight up if you cannot see it from your present location). Take out 4 pebbles and place them on each of the four cardinal directions. In a pinch, any 4 pebbles will do, but for formal ceremonies specially carved pebbles made of onyx and sugilite are used, engraved with the Symbol of Order and shaped into perfect spheres. Using a special paint, mark your face in the ways of the Priesthood of Order, and recite the Mantra of Guardianship. Meditate for 5 minutes as to how you will help to preserve law and order that day.
    * Benefit: I do not know yet.

Spoiler: Available Domains
    Show
    Good, Earth, Law, Glory, Repose, Artifice, Magic (Divine Subdomain only), Nobility, Protection, Sun, Travel, War.
    The Aspect of Balance

Among all the worshippers of the Aspects, there exists an implicit agreement that the worship of the various aspects, and the exhibition of the morality and ethics they represent, must be kept in balance to some degree, lest they become corrupted via excess. The Aspect of Balance embodies this philosophy. Unusually for the Aspects, which are said to be genderless, it is sometimes referred to with female pronouns in various languages. In the story of Creation, it is told that the Aspect of Balance smoothed out the areas trod upon by Order and Change to create great sweeping valleys.

The Aspect of Balance stands for all things Neutral. Followers of the Aspect of Balance praise virtues such as open-mindedness, even-handedness, subtlety, and impartiality. At their most positive, this means being able to see things as they truly are, being able to find the best approach in any situation, and the ability to compromise between any extremes. At their worst, this means perpetual indecision, overwhelming and arbitrary commitment to 'balance' when a given extreme would produce a better result, and the viewing of any non-neutral approach as tantamount to zealotry.

The symbol of the Aspect of Balance is a humanoid figure with four arms, two at each side with palms extended.

Alignment: True Neutral
    Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword
    Deific Obedience: Using a piece of chalk, diagram the Circle of Balance on the floor, then step into the middle. Stand on one foot, as if assuming the crane position, then hold up a fresh sprig/a mote of positive energy in one hand and a fistful of ash/a mote of negative energy in the other. Chant the Mantra of Balance for 5 minutes. Keeping your eyes closed is not mandatory but is strongly encouraged.
    * Benefit: I don't know yet.

Show
    Good, Air, Water, Weather, Animal, Healing, Magic (Divine Subdomain only), Community, Plant, Luck, Knowledge, Repose.
    The Aspect of Change

There is a stereotype among the people of Eldin that the devout of the Aspect of Change are wanton and reckless, caring only to indulge in their lusts without care or thought as to where their actions will take them tomorrow. Some would say that, given the sheer chaos that their almost completely formless god embodies, that they are simply worshipping appropriately. The more charitable say that they work, ironically, with a purpose - to remind us that without change and deviations from the norm, no growth can occur. In the story of Creation, it is told that the Aspect of Change joyfully crashed about to create great plumes of lava, fiery volcanoes, and the first seas.

The Aspect of Balance stands for all things Chaotic. Followers of the Aspect of Change praise virtues such as free will, creativity, change, and individualism. At their best, this means allowing for a society with all sorts of different mindsets, and new ideas that can change everything for the better and allow anyone to live as they please in peace. At their worst, this means madness, selfishness, savagery, wanton gluttony, and mindless destruction.

The symbols of the Aspect of Change is a six-tendriled spiral.

Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Favored Weapon: Greatscythe (refluffed Greataxe)
    Deific Obedience: Construct a special effigy out of whatever materials you have on hand - the specific materials and form is not important in the slightest, only that the end product have the symbol of the Aspect of Change drawn on it. Set this effigy on fire, then hack it to pieces. Using a (gloved) hand, grab a fistful of embers, crush them to Ash, and then strip off your armor in a haphazard manner while bellowing. Pound your fists against your chest, then grab your weapon and dance around like a madman for 10 minutes, trusting your feet to guide you safely. If you are attacked during this ceremony, you must fight your opponent until he/she/it is killed or knocked out, with you delivering the final blow (allies are permitted).
    * Benefit: No idea at present.

Show
    Good, Fire, Chaos, Charm, Darkness, Glory, Liberation, Magic (Divine Subdomain only), War, Strength, Trickery.
    Titan

Unlike the genderless, formless aspects, the draconic demigods of Eldin have both sex and form, and in Titan's case he truly lives up to his name. A living colossus of a solar dragon, Titan is known as 'The Great King of Wyrms' and 'The Father of Dragons' - and indeed, most living lesser dragons can trace their lineage back to him. Proud and slightly arrogant, but at the same time noble and loyal, he has several orders of Paladins that worship him, and it is rumored that there exists a secret monastery far to the north of Teien where a select group of devout monks safeguard his lair and act to carry out his plans to maintain order in the world. Titan is often worshipped as a symbol of masculinity.

Alignment: Lawful Good
    Favored Weapon: Greatsword
    Deific Obedience: Like the ceremony for Order, this ceremony is performed at Dawn or as close to it as possible. Remove the outer clothing from your upper body, then stare either directly into the rising sun from the highest point within half a mile of where you slept. Raise your arms toward the sun and give it praise for the life it brings to Eldin, then swear to Titan that you will do all you can to further the cause of good that day. If you have a companion or friend with you, engage him in a sparring match - first two (nonlethal) strikes to the body out of three. If you are capable of flight and not in immediate danger, spend 10 minutes flying through the air, letting the wind and chance take you where they may (keeping your companions in sight).
    * Benefit: Unknown at this time.

Spoiler: Domains
    Show
    Artifice, Good, Glory, Law, Sun, Protection, Knowledge, Nobility, Scalykind, Fire, War.

Leviathan

A serene being of utmost grace and beauty, Leviathan is nonetheless a being of immense power, on par with, if not surpassing, Titan. Her form has been noted by onlookers for seeming to be made of liquid, living, silver, and she is popularly known as the 'Queen Serpent' and 'Mother of all Dragons'. Unlike Titan's non-paladin followers, her own devotees are much more public, including one or two monastic orders. Despite being worshipped as a symbol of femininity, her clergy emphasize that in no way does this mean passivity (despite what some wishful thinking would have you believe), living by a very simple credo: 'Silk hides steel.'

Alignment: Neutral Good
    Favored Weapon: Naginata
    Deific Obedience: Using the resources available to you, wash yourself as best you can. At full-blown temples of Leviathan, special bathing chambers are constructed for this purpose, and special ointments, soaps, and incenses are used; in the wilderness, a river or stream will do. If even this is unavailable, such as when in a dungeon, dousing yourself with a canteen or the Create Water spell will do in a pinch.
    Once you have finished bathing (a minimum of 5 minutes is encouraged, with some ceremonies going on as long as half an hour), don a loose-fitting robe of pure silk, take up your weapon and begin dancing. For this ceremony, a very specific dance called the Kata of the Talon is performed, emphasizing the simultaneous grace and deadliness of this order's patron goddess. This process takes 20 minutes.
    * Benefit: No idea as of yet.

Spoiler: Domains
    Show
    Good, Scalykind, Protection, Charm, Air, Darkness (Moon Subdomain Only), Rune, Travel, Liberation, Water, Community, Glory.

Behemoth

During the War on Hell, some soldiers who descended into the great depths to seal the daemons and devils in their abyssal home for good spoke of a horrific sight - an immense blackened dragon, bound by monstrous, unholy, spiked chains of flame, with one horn missing and a great shard piercing it's side. These stories have dismissed by all official histories of the war as the ramblings of post-traumatic stress, and Titan and Leviathan... Well, Leviathan has refused to speak on the matter, and to this day in the nation of Jawaha there is a blackened stain in the middle of the courtyard of the Grand Palace where Titan reportedly vaporized a prince who didn't know when to cease asking questions.

Despite this, the rumors persist of the existence of such a beast - a Behemoth of a dragon, imbued with the dark power of the horrific plane it guards. Many cults have sprung up around the worship of this dark creature, and they are noted for being a favored target of the Percellan Hunters.

Show
    None.

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-25 at 11:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [OOC 0] Aurora Tenebrosa: A Pathfinder Homebrew-Setting Horror Game (Invite Only)

And a second placeholder here.

COSMOLOGY

Spoiler: Turn with me to Chapter 5...
    Show
    In the old days, it was believe that the Material Plane, where you all live, was the only plane of existence, and that the positive, negative, and elemental energy was created by directly channeling the cosmic winds and bending them to the will of the caster. The latter of these, as it turns out, is true. The former is false.

The first inkling Eldin had that there were other planes of existence came about in a very rude way when the creatures of a fiery, agonizing dimension known as Hell attacked. An abyss of misery and despair whose framework was located directly in the center of the planet, Hell was home to two types of creatures: The chaotic and slavering daemons, and the cunning and sadistic devils. Relief against their legions, luckily enough, came in the form of Angels, who drove the armies of Hell back and bolstered the armies of man.

While initially a great revelation, there was not much that mankind could really do about this discovery, as more important matters such as staying alive and not becoming demon's slaves took higher priority. With the advent of arcana, however, a great effort was made to study Eldin's place in the multiverse, as with the advent of Angels and Demons came the realization that 'we were not alone'.

After intensive study, the common consensus among scholars regarding the various planes of existence is as follows. Eldin, along with the physical universe, resides in what as known as the Material Plane. Overlapping the Material Plane is a sort of buffer zone - a plane where the real world is reflected as an insubstantial mirror image through which people can move as if it were but mere clouds. This is known as the Ethereal Plane, and dreams and the recently departed reside here. In a giant sphere around the Ethereal and Material Planes is the Astral Plane, a wholly abstract represenation of the universe that is largely void and formless, punctuated by crystalline platforms, motes of light representing worlds and planets, and strange creatures. Some suggest that those imbued with Psychic/Occult powers draw their cosmic dust from this plane, but there is only circumstantial evidence at this time. The astral plane also serves a purpose in that it connects the ethereal and material planes to the Outer Plane of Heaven, where good and neutral souls go to their eternal rest.

Of course, more sinister planes also exist. Deep within the earth, portals to two other planes have been found. The Plane of Shadow, a dark, twisted mirror image of the inside of the planet, can be entered through the Underdark. Creepy and sinister creatures reside within, and eventually it leads to the opening of Hell itself. Despite technically being considered an 'Outer Plane', as it does not in any way reflect the material plane, the framework for Hell apparently is located in the planet core.

Unlike in Golarion, the Inner Planes do not exist in the Wellspring Universe. Elemental, Positive, and Negative energy are created directly from the willpower of magic users; the use of negative energy is tightly controlled and regulated as it is theorized that overuse will eventually speed the end of the world. Because of this, along with substantial evidence that its use results in the destruction or corruption of the soul, necromancy is banned in virtually all nations on Eldin.

NOTABLE FIGURES IN GOTTENBURG

Spoiler: Chapter 6 took many edits...
    Show
    As the city where you will be starting the game, there are several figures living in the city that most everyone will have heard about. Here is a short list of them, and what the average layperson would be expected to know.

Iyeronim V
    Current Archon of Bastion. The vast majority of the populace hold mixed feelings about him; though the economy has improved under his reign, and income taxes slightly relaxed (especially for the poor), he has been responsible for some rather controversial legislation regarding 'intimate behaviors' and importation of foreign goods (particularly those related to 'intimate behaviors'). He has also drawn criticism from some religious sources regarding his perceived neglect of the divine and his getting in bed with Arcana.

Sir Magnus Verndari
    One of the oldest first-generation Aasimar, Sir Magnus Verndari is the current Grand Commander of the Knights of the Eternal Beacon and the Open Palm, as well as the Prince-Elector of Zenith Province (where Gottenburg is located). A kindly and devout man, he is universally celebrated as one of the great heroes of the War on Hell.

Cardinal Kanína
    Born as Usagi Kira to a Vieran immigrant from Kastali, Cardinal Kanína is often held up as a major example of a modern success story, as she worked her way from a common gutter rat to a clerical student in the Church of Balance. Because of her legendary kindness, as well as her prowess in battle, she became one of the youngest women ever to attain the rank of Cardinal, to the jealousy of many.

Special Operations Lieutenant Hnífbrún Tyrggson
    And speaking of success stories, the story of Special Lieutenant Tyrggson is one many people would rather have seen crash. The highest ranking tiefling in all of the armed forces, Special Lieutenant Tyrggson's membership in the Percellan Hunters was brought to light when he was publicly seen thwarting an assassination attempt by Grafhallian assassins. Enraged that someone of his blood was entrusted with such a high task, many officers of the Divine Army resigned in protest, and several rather violent demonstrations took place before Archin Iyernonim ordered a series of mass arrests that saw several of the instigators pilloried and jailed for destruction of property and 'Blasphemy and Insubordination against the Order of the Most Holy'.

Special Operations Captain Adrian Strabo
    The leader of the Percellan Hunters, and one of the few public faces of an otherwise secretive organization, Captain Strabo is by all accounts a rather stern and tactical man. Less commonly discussed is that he is Lieutanant Tyrggson's cousin, his father having been the younger brother of Tyrggson's mother.

Linda Cantora
    A member of Gottenburg's 'young money' so to speak, Linda Cantora is the most recent head of the BAA. An artist and composer of some renown, as well as a notably ambitious and ferocious businesswoman, many scandalous rumors surround her wherever she goes.

Alastair Lynnf Lorre
    While the Storytellers (the public nickname for members of Songvari Hopur) do not have much of a rank structure, some members are more famous than others. Perhaps the greatest of them (at least in the larger Gottenburg area) is Alastair Lorre, a swashbuckler and former privateer of some renown, known for his devil-may-care attitude and handy way with a rapier.

Master Ulftyr Falinnson the Great
    The current headmaster of Myrkvi University, as well as the head of the Arcane Research department, Ulftyr was the very man who, along with his friend Asger, discovered arcane magic. Though advancing in years, he has remained no less energetic than he was in his prime, thanks to several life-extending techniques that he helped to pioneer. A rather private man, it is rare that he is seen speaking publicly to anyone but his closest confidants or particularly promising students.

Quiet Runner
    The most visible member and unofficial advocate for the Third Eye Choir, little is known about the private life of Quiet Runner. Most often she can be seen publicly leading protests of various kinds - mostly for her own group, though she has been known to lend her aid to others as well, particularly the poor and disenfranchised. There are some who believe her to be the former daughter of nobility, but no-one has come forth and claimed her as their own.

To-do: The heads of the monastic houses.

RACES

Spoiler: And now on to Chapter 7...
    Show
    Eldin is home to many different races, each of which has spread out over the surface of the planet. As one of the trading and cultural meccas of the world, Bastion in particular is home to virtually all of them, each of which has carved out a niche for itself.

Human - The dominant race on Eldin, and accordingly the most numerous in positions of power, humans are the most common sight in Bastion. From the top to the bottom of the social strata, they can be found anywhere.

Dwarves - Mostly concentrated in the underground kingdom of Tiwaz, dwaves are stout, hardy folk, with keen business senses. While they have a bit of a stereotype for being gruff or hard-partying, many of them are in fact rather sociable and practical folk, as befits a people who made their fortune in business. Those that live in Bastion tend to be arms manufacturers, business owners (particularly breweries), merchants and mercenaries. A growing counterculture is emerging to help dispel the most common stereotypes, however, focused on more elegant pursuits such as music and - oddly enough - restaurateuring and baking.

Elves and Half-Elves - A long-lived and elegant people, most Elves live in their native kingdom of Lotarwa. Those that do live in Bastion are frequently diplomats or clergy of some kind, although in recent years it has been found that their race has an uncanny knack for the arcane. Thus, an increasing amount of 'younger' elves, along with the bulk of the half-elf population, can be found attending Myrkvi university. Those half-elves that don't get in frequently join the army or Corpus Pacem, seeking a life of adventure away from the alleged stuffiness of their parent race.

Orcs and Half-Orcs - A frequent target of racism from Humans, orcs are simultaneously feared and fetishized. They are frequently found as mercenaries and entertainers, but an increasing amount of half-orcs are fighting against racial stereotypes and attempting to become represented in local government, with surprising success in the more rural parts of Bastion. In Gottenburg, in particular, there is a small but booming art scene focused around the works of half-orc painters and authors.

Halflings - A humble and happy people, halflings - or 'Hobbits' as they're called in popular slang - are very simple folk and content to remain that way. The overwhelming majority of them are employed in the production or changing of food to some degree, being farmers, bakers, fishermen, chefs, and confectioners of great renown. A common debate in Bastion is whether dwarven or halfling beer is better, with dwarven beers generally regarded as being darker and heaver on the hops while halfling beer is sweeter and lighter, often with more yeasty flavors.

Gnomes - Surprisingly for the quote-unquote "humanoid races", gnomes are almost universally disliked. Part of this stems from the fact that an overwhelming amount of them come from Kurwa, Bastion's most bitter rival aside from Grafhall, but most of it stems from the fact that Gnomes are said to be like goblins - crazy and easily obsessed - but with less of their charm. Gnomes are known for being surprisingly callous and single-minded to other races, a fact not helped by the fact that they tend to exude a rather uncanny aura that many people find off-putting. Nonetheless, their technical genius ensures their presence, however disliked, in arcane and technological manufacturing enterprises.

Goblins - A largely subterranean race, goblins are a mystery to many people. They are closely associated with dwarves, but unlike the largely lawful, orderly, and collected race, goblins are much more rambunctious, possessing an unmatched curiosity and drive to discover. Because these balance each other out, they frequently can be found living in proximity to one another, especially in Tiwaz. A drawback to living near goblins is that their frequently crazy experiments can often produce explosive results; however, unlike gnomes, they generally try to keep collateral damage to a minimum, and are almost always apologetic when their mishaps cause harm to others.

It helps that they are roly-poly, fluffy (depending on which subspecies you encounter) and universally agreed to be incredibly cute, as goblin plushies are a common sight in stores around Bastion.

Because of their subterranean nature, goblins actually require special respirators to breath correctly above the surface, which are built into ornate masks. These masks are created and decorated by each goblin him/herself, and serve as unique identifying marks among them. Because of this, many less educated people have no idea what goblin faces look like, and it is said that for a goblin to show his or her true face is a sign of either unconditional trust or love.

Aasimar -
    The descendants of the union of angels and humans, Aasimar are practically worshiped around Teien, as their ancestors were responsible for the fact that civilization still exists today. Because of their natural grace and inclination towards the divine, they are often drawn toward the clergy or more religious parts of the army - the Percellan Hunters, in particular, make notable use of Aasimar.

Tieflings - The descendants of the union of humans and demons, Tieflings are simultaneously pitied and reviled - pitied for the fact that most of them were the product of rape, and revilement for the fact that many feel the strong influence of their forbear's tendency toward evil running through their veins. It is a common rumor that Tieflings bring destruction and ruin wherever they go; how much of this has basis in fact and how much is merely self-fulfilling prophecy as they retaliate for lifetimes of abuse is as of yet unconfirmed. Those tieflings that can find legal work tend almost exclusively to be mercenaries; however, several notable figures among the race have fought to prove that not all of them are evil and that they can be integrated into society. Two Tieflings, in particular, hold a high positions in the Church of Balance and the Knights of the Eternal Beacon, respectively, a move which was widely protested and controversial.

Fetchlings - Mysterious descendants of humans mating with creatures from the recently-discovered plane of shadow, virtually nothing is known about Fetchlings, and many have been known to mistake them for elves wearing black bodypaint. Because of this, along with their comparative rarity (fewer than 6,000 in the world are known to exist), very few concrete stereotypes have developed about them; the most common is that they are relatively taciturn.

Dhampirs - In the wake of the War on Hell, Teien saw its first encounters with undead as demons warped the latent cosmic dust that once formed the souls of dead men into a corrupting force that tore at the fabric of reality even as it drove the corpse forward, hungry for flesh. To act as spies and assassins among men, devils in particular created vampires, cunning and powerful creatures of the night that feasted upon the blood of the living and possessed eldritch powers. The spawn of a vampire and a human, often done without the human's knowledge, is termed a dhampir - possessing both strengths and weaknesses of both. Because of the havoc wrought by vampires, Dhampirs are barely tolerated and monitored heavily in cities whenever they turn up, and promptly torched and lynched should any rural folk get their hands on them.

Catfolk - Playful and boisterous, Catfolk have a natural predisposition toward mischief, as well as an innate sense of wanderlust. Most are sailors, merchants, or guns for hire, although several in recent years have also found success in professional sports - one particular athlete in Gottenburg, in particular, has become famous for her invention of what is called 'free running'. They are the most common of beastmen found in Teien.

Ratfolk -
    According to the man on the street in Teien, Ratfolk are either the cutest things in the universe or supremely ugly overgrown rats. There is no in-between. Because of discrimination, many find work in the gutters and shadows, with those who find legal employment owning businesses or dabbling in the arcane. An increasing amount, however, are finding their way into the clergy, where they have shown a natural talent for book-keeping and the preservation of history.

Tengu - Roguish and charming, Tengu are a chatty bunch, and known for being very fast talkers. Many of them are also highly vain and glory hounds, though an equal amount chafe under the negative attention the traits of their comrades bring upon them. Because of their agility and natural skill with the swords, as well as their affinity for nature, those that find legal employment often end up in the army. In particular, the various monastaries of Bastion have a notable population of tengu seeking to better themselves, and there are a statistically significant amount in the Rangers.

Kitsune - Seen as beautiful and exotic (with all the negative and positive connotations thereof), Kitsune are quite a rare sight in Teien, keeping mostly to their homes in the Kaibun Archipelago. Those that come to Bastion are, like elves, either clergy or diplomats of some kind, with the odd tourist and adventurer thrown in for good measure.

Vanara - From what one often hears about monkeys, one might assume Vanara are a playful people. In fact, the Vanara are actually often quite militant, their dominant culture highly emphasizing discipline and control. As the nation from whence they come in the Kaibun archipelago is governed by a religious order dedicated to Titan, many Vanara find themselves drawn to the clerical or monastic arts.

Changeling - Along with Vampires, Hags were another creation of the demons forged during the War on Hell, being women who were tortured and infused with an excess of cosmic dust to grant them magical powers. The process, along with being immensely painful and torturous, also serves to make the victim crazy and homicidal. Even with the defeat of the demons, many hags still live in the untamed wilds of Teien, determined to raze the world to cinders. To accomplish this, they have two different ways of creating hags. The first way, and the least reliable, is to lure a young human or elven girl into the forest with dancing lights, at which point they seize her and conduct a similar ceremony upon her to that used by their original demonic masters. Unfortunately, because of their comparative lack of power and control, this often ends up killing the subject. A slightly more reliable way is to lure a young human man into the woods and then, using magic, seduce or rape him. The child that emerges from such a union is, until puberty, completely human in appearance, save for having bright emerald-colored eyes. Upon reaching adolescence, however, the child begins to develop retractable claws and darkvision, along with changes to the eyes - specifically, when stressed or emotionally excited, the child's right eye will turn blood red. Nightmares begin to afflict the child, calling her home...

Some changelings are left on doorsteps as babies (often on those of their magically neuralized fathers, for extra irony), or, if the hags have retained enough of their sanity, raised by the coven themselves. Whatever the case, most changelings, when they recieve the calling, either succumb to it shortly before adulthood or learn to suppress it entirely; the Churches of the Aspects in particular, as a consequence of conducting raids on hag covens and raising the orphaned changelings, have learned magical techniques to help suppress the calling and allow the changeling to suppress their monstrous nature.

As a consequence, there are two main stereotypes and common sightings of changelings. The first is that of the zealot or cleric; draw to the church out of gratitude or the belief that adherence to a higher power will suppress their heritage, they find themselves using their talents to help spread the word of the Aspects. The other, particularly in recent years, is that of the wild and uninhibited young woman - a notable subculture of changelings, in particular, are bards and members of the BAA. While some changelings of this type are drawn to moral neutrality, outright evil changelings - despite common folklore saying that they eat dreams and gobble up young naughty children - are almost nonexistant, as most who embrace that path turn into hags. Nonetheless, changelings who display their identity openly are commonly discriminated against, though they do not face the hatred of tieflings or that murderous rampages of dhampirs.

Samsaran - Shrouded in mystery, it is estimated that there are less than 500 Samsarans in the world, and most people go their whole lives without ever seeing one. Because of this, there are very little stereotypes regarding them, save that they are almost all travelers of some sort.

Warforged - A creation of the War on Hell, Warforged are a creation of Ulftyr and Asger, the fathers of arcana, and responsible in part for the defeat of Hell. Though it is impossible for humans to use magic to create true life, Ulftyr found that, through a laborious and intense ritual, it was possible to create a rough 'carbon copy' of sorts of a human mind - an artificial intelligence - that could be permanently housed in a special crystal. This intelligence, or AI, with the right equipment, could then be housed in a mobile construct, fusing man and machine to create a being with the strengths of both and the weaknesses of neither.

Using his own mind as a template, Ulftyr created the first prototype Warforged to serve as shock troopers and frontline fighters against the demonic hordes. This was met with severely mixed results. While the AIs created using Ulftyr's method were basically intelligent, they were highly immature, and proved to be inept at doing severely complicated tasks. This necessitated quadrupedal constructs, shaped to be like lions or horses, in order for greater stability and to reduce complexity. Secondly, while they could, indeed, operate independently, the first generation of Warforged invariably went insane very quickly. As they grew and saw more and more slaughter, they became more and more unbalanced, like a soldier experiencing PTSD, only several times more severe - and on top of all that, many came to believe that they themselves were, in fact, Ulftyr, transferred soul and all into the machine instead of merely being a copy, culminating in several different Warforged attempting to kill him. After this attempt, all the remaining 1st Generation Warforged were scrapped.

Frustrated, Ulftyr found inspiration one day when he saw a mother and father swinging their daughter around in the playground, working together as a team. Creating a second generation of Warforged, rather than using a single mind as the model for the AI crystals, he attempted to use a fusion of two minds; his and Asger's. The result was an unmitigated success, as through this fusion, the AIs found greater intelligence stability and, thanks to the fusion of two different people, retained a sense of their own individual identity. At the push to seal the Final Rift of Teien - the Grafhall Rift - an entire battalion of Warforged was placed on the field. Several times more advanced that the first generation, these second generation Warforged were creations to be feard - the first truly upright bipedal weapons system.

Of course, while Warforged made in human form were far and away the most common, they were not the only robotic creations Ulftyr made. Accompanying the warforged, driven by AI crystals and magically-enhanced steam engines, were quadrupedal and tank-treaded engines of war - Tanks, as they came to be called. Able to gun down and destroy vast swathes of demons and armored machinery with little effort, the government of Bastion keeps a few in its pocket even to this day, the most advanced of them being piloted by an AI-man team. And then, there is the story - or, better said, conspiracy theory - of the Steel Apparatus, but that is something for another time.

Unfortunately, as one of the key designers of the Warforged, Asger put several important notes to the torch when he fled to Grafhall shortly after the War on Hell. Over the years, subsequent generations of Warforged have improved and gotten closer to the perfection that is considered the second generation; however, the most current models still betray their construct nature with rather dull charisma and a lacking sense of self - though, thankfully, not to the extent of the second generation. Because of this, though, Warforged are often stereotyped as being dull and unfeeling, and feature prominently in fiction as creatures who have to be taught such things as emotion and the meaning of love, being driven mostly by logic and orders. While not entirely untrue, such depictions are usually highly exaggerated.

As their name implies, Warforged are inclined more toward militaristic pursuits, as their major manufacturer is the Bastionese government. Those Warforged who manage to secure their independence from the army, be it through service or buying themselves back, usually go into public service. In recent years, however, some particularly wealthy industrialists have managed to acquire the permission to create Warforged of their own, using them for particularly hazardous tasks that would be dangerous to ordinary men. And there are rumors that some criminal organizations have gotten their own sticky mitts on warforged templates; however, if this is indeed true, such Warforged appear to be at a minimum, if they exist at all.

OOC: In addition to being able to pick this as a race, I have made an alternate racial trait for the Warforged.

Frontline Model
    : As artificially intelligent constructs made for war, some Warforged put more emphasis on melee combat than others, culminating in the hardy and rugged 'Frontline Model'. Warforged with this Alternate Racial Trait replace their +2 bonus to Intelligence with a +2 bonus to Strength.

Bangaa - The Bangaa are a race of reptilian humanoids native to Kastali, with enlongated snouts and ears and pronounced musculature. Being a rather proud, industrious, down-to-earth and gruff people, many have likened their temperament to that of dwarves. Despite their reptilian nature, they resent being called out on this - in fact, being called a 'lizard' is said to be the worst thing you can call a Bangaa, and reports have been noted of not-so-careful racists having their arms ripped out of their sockets for such remarks. This has garnered them something of a reputation for being irritable stick-in-the-muds among their detractors.

Being physically strong, but slow to adapt, Bangaa lend themselves to jobs requiring brute force and a sense of tradition; as such, those who find their way over to Teien usually find employment as soldiers or manual laborers. Due to their unique insights and wisdom, those who are drawn to more mystical ways often find themselves draw to the monastic or druidic arts.

Garif and Gria - At first glance, one would assume the Garif (a race of carapaced, big-horned, muscular men) and the Gria (a race of small, lithe, and boisterous winged women) to be two entirely separate races; however, despite appearances, they are in fact one race. The real reason for such an extreme case of sexual dimorphism is a mystery; however, a more mythical reason is often passed around in Kastalian literature and art.

Allegedly, several centuries ago, after the parting of ways that led the Fantasiac races to journey to Kastali, the predecessors of the Garif and Gria (known as the Occurians) began worshipping Titan. Pleased by their devotion, the dragon demigod helped them a home in the southern parts of Kastali, and with his aid they unearthed a rare and powerful metal known as Nethicite. For a time, the Occurians lived in peace with their neighbors, but witht he power of Nethicite, they grew greedy and turned against the other inhabitants of Kastali, turning the middle of the continent into a smouldering crater. Enraged by their abuse of his power, Titan went on a rampage and slaughtered almost all of the Occurian army before rounding up those left of Occuria and placing a curse on them - a curse that would turn them into mere figments of the proud men and women they were before, incompatible and with no biological chance of continuing their line.

At the sight of what he had done, however, Leviathan (who, according to some versions of the tale, was gravid with one of his clutches), tore into Titan and told him, in so many words, that what he had done to the Occurians was no better than what they'd done. The fury gone from his eyes, Leviathan was filled with remorse, and sought to make amends. Though he could not restore their warped forms, Titan found a workaround. Though their bodies were twisted and warped, using his power, Titan smoothed it out, and gave them forms that were livable once more. And, most importantly, once more they could unite and continue their people.

Severely humbled by the experience, the newly minted Garif and Gria found two vastly different ways to deal with the experience. The Garif, believing that it was war itself that was their doom, swore themselves to effective pacifism, becoming the philosophers, traders, farmers, and craftsmen of the new Occuria. The Gria, in the meantime, found that their blood still ran rampant with the will of the warrior. Tearful at having draw the wrath of their divine father, they rededicated themselves to Titan, honing themselves such that they lived, breathed, ate, and drank his code, hopeful that by immersing themselves in their virtue he would refrain from turning his wrath upon them again. In legend, their small dragon wings are said to have been a covenant from Titan to that effect.

The Garif are almost never seen outside of Kastali, with those who do make an appearance almost exclusively being traders. The Gria are slightly more common, being wandering soldiers, but very rarely do they swear themselves to anyone motivated by more selfish desires, ever mindful of their promise to Titan. Among those who do show up on Teien, it is not uncommon to see them as traveling paladins, wandering the earth in search of wisdom. Given their naturally boisterous and competitive nature, this is somewhat difficult.

Moogles - Small, furry, friendly and cuddly, Moogles are often compared to goblins in terms of their sheer intelligence, capacity for invention, and curiosity. However, instead of klutziness and a penchant for blowing things up, they are known instead for being rampant pranksters and their love of being somewhat obtuse. Because of these close similarities and differences, they have something of a friendly rivalry with goblins, and have been known to compete over contracts and plushie sales. With their intelligence, they have a knack for research, alchemy, and, with the advent of arcana, arcane magic.

Nu-Mou - One of the longest-lived of the races of man, Nu Mou are a very slow-moving and wise people, being likened by many to 'one's kindly old grandfather'. Much like male viera, infant nu mou are almost unheard of, and it is a common tale among the uneducated that Nu-Mou apparently spring into existence fully formed via magic. (The truth is, being rather reclusive sorts in their native land, young Nu-Mou are kept very close to the breast until they are considered old enough to leave home - which, comparatively speaking, is much later than other races, as most leave in the equivalent of a human's 30s.) To a man, they are almost all scholars or clerics.

Viera - The most common of the Fantasiac races seen in Teien (with Moogles and Bangaa taking 2nd and 3rd place, respectively), the tall and rabbit-like Viera are renowned for their grace, prowess in battle, and sheer beauty (to the point where one of the most commonly smuggled items into Bastion are... 'adult pieces' featuring them. Bonus points if tentacles are involved). Hailing from the lush forests of Ivalice, Viera are highly sought after for their abilities as fencers and entertainers, as well as diplomats and mediators - in fact, the current Cardinal of Gottenburg is actually a Viera whose parents immigrated to Bastion. Because of their reputation, however, some younger Viera are known for being rather vain and aloof. Due to the unique physiology of the Vieran race, where only 1 in 5 children born are male, almost all Viera seen abroad are females. This is, essentially speaking, a matter of law, as the laws of the Vieran tribes of Ivalce essentially mandate that all their men must stay at home to help propagate the species (a matter that has led to many lewd remarks by lonely, horny men of many races. This is usually followed by a swift kick in the crotch from the nearest female).

LANGUAGES

Spoiler: Chapter 8 for an Aperitif...
    Show
    Like all countries and worlds, Eldin has a very diverse set of languages. In this section, I will describe the ones ported over intact from the base system, along with the ones that have been changed. I will try to fluff this section up later, but right now I'm focused on being informative so you guys can focus on building, as you've all requested this quite vociferously.

Languages Unchanged from Vanilla Pathfinder

Aklo
    Boggard
    Celestial
    Dark Folk
    Druidic
    Gnoll
    Gnome
    Grippli
    Halfling
    Necril
    Protean
    Treant
    Any racial languages not listed here

Languages Added, Renamed, or Changed from Vanilla Pathfinder
    Draconic (Grian, Garifan) - Draconic is a booming, harsh, yet noble language, spoken by the Dragons and sentient serpents of Eldin - as is to be expected. However, what one would not expect is that Draconic has been unofficially adopted as the racial language of the Gria and Garif, who believe themeselves to be descended directly from dragons. All Gria and Garif receive this for free at character generation.
    Elemental (Aquan, Auran, Ignan, and Terran) - As the summoned elemental creatures known as Outsiders are directly created from the cosmic winds by spellcasters, they don't really have their own language. Elemental, then, refers to the language of magic employed by spellcasters to command these creations. Speakers of Elemental gain a +2 bonus on Spellcraft checks made to determine what spell an enemy is casting.
    Giant (Giant, Cyclops) - Contrary to popular belief, Cyclops do not have a separate language. They just have a speech impediment.
    Gobspeak (Goblin) - Goblins are a rather excitable bunch, with a short, clipped, tongue to match. In recent years, it has begun to include elements of Mogtalk as the Goblins have been forced to band together with their friendly rivals, the Moogles.
    Grafhýsi - The language spoken by Bastion's rather unfriendly neighbour to the north, Grafhall, Grafhýsi is a very short and clipped language, similar in tone to Dwarven, almost.
    Guardtongue (Common) - The official language of Bastion, Guardtongue is the Lingua Franca of all Teien. Because of its nature as a trade language, it is often referred to as Common in generic parlance, and can be assumed to be spoken by anyone remotely educated or traveled outside of Bastion's borders, such as guard officials, merchants, and adventurers. While rare in such far-off places as the continent of Kastali or the Kaibun archipelago, it still sees common use among the elite of those lands, particularly for the purposes of diplomacy and trade.
    Infernal - Spoken by both the rampaging daemons of hell and their devil overlords, Infernal is a low, hissing, guttural language, known to send shivers up the spines of those who so much as hear it.
    Kaibunese - The Lingua Franca of the various islands of the Kaibun archipelago. Primarily descended from the old Catfolk and Kitsune tongues.
    Kernan - A heavily accented language spoken in the southern kingdom of Kerna.
    Kruzhul (Orcish) - Orc tribes often have their own individual dialects, but the most widespread of these, and the one usually used by traders and emissaries to speak to the Orcs, is Kruzhul.
    Kupo (Moogle) - A secret language spoken by Moogles that consists only of the word 'Kupo' spoken with various inflections, repetitions, and body posture. Teaching it to outsiders is considered grounds for exile from most Kupo communities, and will result in the teacher being shunned by Moogles everywhere. All Moogles receive this for free at character creation.
    Lotarwan (Elven) - A lilting and sibilant language, Lotarwan is the official language of the Elven kingdom of Lotarwa. Usually called elven by outsiders, much to the prim and proper elves' annoyance.
    Mogtalk (Moogle) - The happy, chirping language spoken in the far off land of Mogralla, the native homeland of the Moogles, Mogtalk is increasingly rare nowadays as most Moogles grow up learning to speak the trade languages of whatever continent they settle on. All Moogles receive this for free at character creation.
    Nircadian - The Lingua Franca of the continent of Kastali, Nircadian is spoken in the nation of Nircadia, the largest of Kastali.
    Occurian (Vieran, Nu Mouan) - The language of the kingdom of Occuria, mostly inhabited by Viera and Nu Mou. All Viera and Nu Mou receive this at character creation.
    Raithin - The language of the southern Kastalian kingdom of Raithus.
    Sahran - The desert lands of Sholar have many loosely affiliated tribes, each with their own unique tongue, but all of them are descended from the common language of Sahran. A trilling and high-pitched language, but nonetheless has a certain charm.
    Teienese Sign Language - Invented in Bastion, this sign language is used throughout Teien (with the exception of Sholar) to allow the deaf and mute to communicate. Characters with these afflictions receive this as a bonus language at character creation as long as they have an intelligence over 10.
    Tiforl (Dwarven) - A stout, booming, and jolly language spoken in the Dwarven Kingdom of Tiwaz.
    Varuno (Bangaan) - The racial language of the reptilian Bangaa, and their home country of Vanarus. All Bangaa receive this at character creation.

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-23 at 11:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

And a Final Placeholder. The Grand Table of Applicants has been moved to Post 31.

BASTIONESE CULTURE

Spoiler: Chapter 9 can be a doozy...
    Show
    The Organization of the Government
    As a Theocracy, the Churches of the Aspects and Dragons are tied heavily into the government of Bastion, and sometimes it can be hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Here, we discuss how the country is ruled, from top to bottom.

Archon - The supreme ruler of the nation is known as the Archon, who is elected upon the death or retirement of the previous one and, barring extreme circumstances, rules for life. This is done in a similar manner to the papal elections of Earth, with the leaders of the churches and the head bishops of each province meeting to cast their vote for the man who would become ruler. The Archon, who is believed to be able to speak as directly to the Aspects as is possible for a mortal, can theoretically pass any law or measure he pleases, and is the supreme commander of the armed forces. In practice, however, the situation is quite different. To ensure that the overall goodwill of the people - and more importantly, the nobles - is kept in check, the Archons will call for an assembly of the various nobles and church leaders of the nation and run it by them first. The Archon will then obtain feedback and edit, or even rewrite, the law, until a broad consensus can be reached. The current Archon of Bastion is Iyeronim V, whose paternal grandfather was Iyeronim III.

Prince-Electors and Cardinals - There are seven provinces in Bastion, each of which is ruled over by a pair of people - a Prince-Elector, for the more secular matters, and Cardinals, who provide advice on the formerly mentioned matters and administer issues of faith. Each of the seven provinces is centered around a major city.

Province City Current Prince/ss-Elector Current Cardinal
    Zenith Gottenburg Sir Magnus Verndari (Aasimar) Kanína (Birth Name Usagi Kira) (Viera)
    Union Gobbsterraz Aldrox Trebuchetrider (Goblin) Elarix Zombiesmiter (Goblin)
    Gatewatch Ainguard Keep Konstantin Warmecht (Human) Leonard Reinhart (Human)
    Hollos Balance's Hollow Kalla Erstol (Human) Padma (Half-Elf)
    Hallaria New Hallar Petra Holdsfort (Human) Ahren Kasimir(Half-Orc)
    Templorum Aidzen Oliver Larson (Human) Nikolai Larson (Human)
    Paladus Hunter's Edge Himnison Sverd (Aasimar) Peter Engillson (Aasimar)

The Prince-Electors and Cardinals each report directly to the Archon, who is responsible for granting them their power. Cardinals are chosen directly by the Archon upon the retirement or death of the previous one, while Prince-Electors are hereditary. In the old days, the position fell to the eldest son or daughter of the family, but in recent years it has become tradition for the sitting Prince-Elector to name his successor through prolonged meditation and fasting.

Dukes and Archbishops - Each of the provinces is divided into as many as four (Gatewatch, Paladus) and as few as two duchies (Zenith province only), which are each overseen by a duke and an archbishop. These share the same arrangement as their respective Prince-Elector and Cardinal, having absolute say on matters within their territory (though they can, of course, be overriden by their respective Prince-Elector/Cardinal). Archbishops have a term limit of 10 years, after which the various clerics and bishops vote for his/her replacement; dukedoms are hereditary.

Lords and Bishops - The larger towns and cities within a duchy are overseen directly by a Lord and Bishop, who focus on the day to day tasks of ruling while Dukes see to more high-level matters. Lordship is not hereditary, though the Dukes of a given territory will often pass the title on to sons or daughters of a Lord with whom they got on well. Bishops are usually promoted from the ranks of clerics who have proven themselves in both combat-related and administrative matters.

Knights and Clerics - Knights serve as the commanders of the local Corpus Pacem and Army, depending on rank *in progress*.

Mayors - Most towns not large enough to warrant a lord, in particular the many halfling thorpes responsible for most of Bastion's crop growth, have an elected mayor of some kind.

The Bastion Underground
    Wherever there is civilization, there is crime, both minor and major - and in Bastion, the BAA and the Raven's Eye are king. Because of Bastion's rather strict embargo against Grafhall, and its trade sanctions on Kurwa, there are many exotic materials and items that cannot be obtained legally there. This is where the BAA comes in, as due to the itinerant nature of its members, it is very easy to gain widespread contacts. Those who work illegally to smuggle items for the BAA work in independent cells, having no contact with the core members of the organization so that, if caught, BAA can deny all affiliation with them. Each member knows only two others: A receiving member who takes their goods, and someone else who they obtain goods from. Perfumes, exotic tropical woods and fruits, literature, cloth, and illicit pharmaceuticals are all traded this way. Their leader, Roskva Talasdottir, is rumored to be at the end of all the various chains - which would explain her famously opulent lifestyle - but she has so far managed to evade suspicion, fueling rumors that she keeps the heat away via generous donations to the Army Balls.

Of course, the BAA, particularly as it pertains to the last of those items, is not without competition. The Raven's Eye is Bastions largest criminal organization, and is based primarily in Gottenburg. While the BAA usually keeps away from thievery, at least as a major part of its operations, the Ravens are all to happy to take heist-for-hire jobs, as well as assassinations and tomb raids. In the early days, those affiliated with the group would carve raven wings into their victims, but after the Corpus Pacem struck a major blow against their operations in 2097 - even killing the then-current head of the guild, Hanzo Chiyome - the new and improved Ravens have shown much more of a capacity for stealth, going a long way to simply make their victims disappear or dispose of the body in increasingly creative ways. The group also deals in tomb raiding, and it is said that some unscrupulous arcane researchers have contacted them to hunt for eldritch artifacts of unknown make...

Because of the great secrecy, the current identity of the Ravens leader - the Grand Corvus - and the location of their base of operations is unknown.

In terms of non-organized crime, Bastion has been traditionally light on violent crime thanks to very strict and omnipresent army and church patrols. With the advent of manufacturing and the arcane, an increasing segment of crime deals with civil matters regarding improper treatment of workers, as well as people practicing arcane or psychic magic without proper authorization. In terms of violent crime, due to the increasing presence of guns, deaths from firearms are on the rise - and it is rumored that criminal gangs have developed means to keep their works with gunpowder whisper-quiet, even without the aid of magic...

Works of Art
    Of all the nations on Teien, Bastion is, by and large, the most religious, and this is highly reflected in its culture. The leader and ruling class of the nation have always believed that Bastion has a particular Manifest Destiny, that being to keep the other nations of Teien at order and balanced through treaties and trade, while at the same time leading the world through its changes from within. Because of this, all three of the Aspects and their draconic servants are worshipped more or less equally, as opposed to various other nations who favor one particular Aspect over the others. Many classic pieces of art, music, and literature, therefore, are religious in nature - depictions of history from the Auctoran empire, the early founding of Bastion, and the War on Hell are all popular topics.

Of course, like any actual fleshed-out culture, this is not all there is to Bastion. Bards and performers, being the universal purveyours of news and stories, have always had a healthy trade dealing in fiction and more layperson-oriented music and stories. Particularly in more recent years, as the arcane and psychic have taken root in popular culture, many more secular art movements have surged to the forefront, to the point where they're now on equal footing, if not bigger, than more religious matters. This, of course, has heralded no end of complaints from the Churches, who see it as the inevitable moral decay of the youth and a sign that the people are forgetting their roots. The most popular topics for stories include adventuring stories regarding the equatorial jungles, the Veggur Mountain range, and the Kruzharth highlands, spy stories between Bastion, Kurwa, and Grafhall, and historical fiction regarding the War on Hell or Auctoran empire.

Sports and Entertainment
    Among other things, the new era of factories and clockwork has brought with it new methods of entertainment. Obviously, with the invention of the printing press in 1690, novels are a regular fixture among adults, but strategic war and board games also enjoy popularity, particularly among teenagers and young adults, and dwarven/goblin clockwork toys are common fixtures in shops. Gottenburg also has a notable puppets and plushies industry, with Catfolk, Viera, and Goblins all being very popular.

Though firearms are decreasing the importance of melee cavalry, jousting is still a very popular spectator sport. A game called Frontline, similar to rugby, is also very popular.

Calendar and Holidays
    Like Earth, Eldin has a Gregorian-Style calendar, with 24-hour days. The months, such as they are, are as follows, from the first (January equivalent) to the last (December equivalent):

Faedingman, Tveirman, Thrirman, Fjorman, Fimman, Sechsman, Sjoman, Attaman, Niuman, Tiuman, Elstiman, Daudaman

As a side effect of the religious bent of Bastion's culture, there are many holidays throughout the year. Here are some of the more important ones.

1 Faedingman - New Year's Day
    10 Tveirman - Bastion Day, the birthday of the founder of Bastion
    28 Thrirman - On this day, The Day of Creation, it is traditionally said that the Aspects created the world, and with the help of Titan and Leviathan uplifted the various races of mankind. Religious services and quiet dinners dominate the day, along with the giving of gifts in accordance with the gratitude of life.
    29 Thrirman - Elskadyrd is the day of love, and is observed both by couples (as a celebration of their time together) and by aspiring young people hoping to find their one true love. Confectioners and the burgeoning restaurant industry do brisk business on this day, and a surprising number of people are born 9 months later.
    14 Fjorman - Vordyrd, the Day of Glory, traditionally celebrates the first day of spring in Bastion, and is marked with raucous, naked dancing and feasting upon radishes.
    22 Sechsman - The Summer Solstice is traditionally marked with sporting events of all kinds, as well as fairs and great amounts of fried food.
    1 Sjoman - Sigurdag, the Day of Victory, is the day when the armies of Teien sealed the final rift into hell and ended the 50 year war that claimed so many lives. Great feasts take place on this day, and everyone save for the most barebone crew of emergency clerics and Corpus Pacem has the day off.
    31 Tiuman - Traditionally said to be the last day before the snow begins to fall, Martronacht is a celebration associated with honoring the dead and departed of the year, and reminding everyone about the important role death plays in life. Additionally, it is also the day when the War on Hell began, and thus serves as a day of rememberance and solidarity against the forces of Hell. The campaign begins on Martronacht.
    22 Daudaman - The Winter Solstice, and the shortest day of the year. Many superstitions surround this day, and it is traditionally said to be a day when all the evils of the world surge forth from the wild in a desperate attempt to try and overturn civilization. Many people spend the day in their homes, lighting incense and offering prayers to ward off bad luck.

Additionally, each of the five major gods has a Holy Day, where masses and ceremonies in their honor are conducted.
    Order - 6 Faedingman
    Titan - 4 Fjorman
    Balance - 30 Sechsman
    Leviathan - 3 Niuman
    Change - 31 Daudaman

Human Ethnicities of Teien
    Auctoran - Similar to the caucasians of our world, People of Auctoran descent tend to have pale skin, blue or brown eyes, and red or blond hair. They prevail mostly from the area around the Bay of Ascendance, and the noble families tend to be mostly Auctoran.
    Veggan - Humans of Veggan stock tend to tan more easily than Auctorans, and have mostly black and brown hair, though they can have any color. Their eye colors run the full range, as well.
    Grafish - Humans from the area of Grafhall tend to be on the shorter side, as well as having dark brown or burgundy hair. They are known for usually looking rather dour.
    Northern Kurwish - The result of intermarriage between the northern people of Kurwa and the natives of the equatorial jungles of Teien, the norther Kurwish are traditionally chocolate to bronze-colored, with black hair and deep brown eyes.
    Sholaran - The native people of the desert of Sholar, these men and women are very willowy and agile, with rich bronze-colored to tan skin. Their hair is almost uniformly black, but occasionally genetic mutations produce shimmering white and platinum blonde, which are considered highly attractive.
    Southern Kurwish - Similar in appearance to people of Veggan stock, with a slightly more prominent brow and nose.

ORGANIZATIONS (AND WHERE EACH CLASS MIGHT FIND A HOME)

Spoiler: Chapter 10. Getting close to the end, here...
    Show
    As one of the world's crown jewels of civilization, Bastion is home to many great organizations, each tending toward a particular kind of employee.
    Divine Organizations

Spoiler: For People Who Draw Power From The Divine
    Show
    The Churches of the Aspects
    Each of the three Aspects has its own individual church devoted toward its worship: The Churces of Order, Balance, and Change. In the nation of Bastion, each is headquartered in the capital city of Gottenburg (where our story begins), where a grand cathedral to each can be found in the fourth circle of the city. The Basilica du Legem serves as the house of Order, the Temple Pacifica as the house of Balance, and the Sanctum du Libertas as the house of Change. The Archbishop of each has a seat on Archon Iyeronim V's ruling council, and the various clerics and priests of the churches serve in part as the ministers and bureaucrats of the Bastionese government, wielding great legal power.

- Classes: The Churches accept any class with divine spellcasting ability but chiefly employ Clerics and Oracles, shuffling off the other classes to its various subdivisions (described in the following sections).

The Percellan Hunters
    As a Theocracy, Bastion sometimes falls prey to troublemakers of a religious bent, whether it consists of clergy twisting the will of the Aspects toward evil, cultists worshipping false gods, or simple corruption of the ministry for selfish and misguided ends. When this occurs, the militant and policing arm of the church, the Percellan Hunters, are called in to deal with the problem. Composed of several battalions of inquisitors and warpriests, the Percellan Hunters are noted for their sheer ruthlessness and skill as a team in battle, able to quickly adapt to changing situations and keep discipline under even the most catastrophic situations. They also serve as special operatives when Gottenburg's own city guard is not enough to deal with a situation.

- Classes: The Percellan Hunters tend toward divine classes with a mostly martial bent, chiefly employing Inquisitors and Warpriests. Occasionally, the odd Paladin or Cleric will wind up here as well.

Knights of the Eternal Beacon
    The Knights of the Eternal Beacon occupy an odd spot in the divine organizations of Bastion, serving as much as members of the church as members of the nobility. Technically, the Knights of the Eternal Beacon serve as members of the all-encompassing Sunbearing Knights, the nobility and knighthood of Bastion, and as such are responsible for commanding armies and leading men into war. Where they differ from their more martial Knights of the Open Palm, then, is that they are concerned primarily with the more divine members of the army. As such, they are the prime Paladin order of Bastion, and are noted as paragons of virtue and frequent figures in legends and tales.
    - Classes: The Knights of the Eternal Beacon consist almost entirely of Paladins; however, exceptionally devout Cavaliers or ambitious Inquisitors have been known to wind up here as well.

Order of the Solar Wing
    Given his imposing figure, immense power, and heroic actions during the War on Hell, it is no surprise that worship of the Solar Dragon Demigod Titan has increased in recent years. In particular, one major monastic order known as the Order of the Solar Wing has made its home in Gottenburg, on the south side of the Fourth Circle of the city. Originally founded by a Bangaa from the far-off lands of Kastali, the monks and paladins who make up the Order of the Solar Wing focus daily on mental and physical self-perfection, seeking to take the most noble and heroic traits of their lord and use them to guide and inspire the populace in peace and war. To accomplish this, they practice a martial art known as budō-taiyō, a highly aggressive martial art focused on fast, hard, strikes. It is rumored that there is a very special set of tests one must pass to enter the order, kept as a jealously guarded secret.
    - Classes: The Order of the Solar Wing, as per their name, consist almost entirely of Monks, but also have many Paladins among their ranks, along with a few Oracles. They also train Dragon Disciples (whose power is divine in this universe), and are comprised of mostly men, though women are not barred from entry.

Way of the Silver Flight
    The Dragon Leviathan is widely regarded as a role model for women in cultures all over Eldin, and so it should come as no surprise that several monastic orders were founded in her name. The Way of the Silver Flight is one of the most famous, being right next door to the Order of the Solar Wing, and they are known for embodying the credo 'Silk Hides Steel'. Each and every member of the Way, even the non-monastic adherents, is trained to be heavily proficient in the ways of unarmed combat, using a unique martial art known as budō-tsubasa, a graceful school of training focused on dexterity and disarming one's opponent. Among one of the more bizarre rumors regarding the Silver Flight is that, through secret collaboration with the the Order of the Solar Wing, they are known to try and interbreed humans and dragons.
    - Classes: Like the Order of the Solar Wing, the Way of the Silver Flight is comprised mostly of Monks, but also has many Clerics among its ranks, along with Dragon Disciples. In the inverse of the Solar Wing, the majority of its adherents are female, though males are not unheard of.

The Infernal Champions
    Ever since the War on Hell, rumors have circulated around Gottenburg of a clandestine organization using demonic magic. Supposedly created in secret by the Church of Order in the wake of the demonic invasions, the Infernal Champions (as they are called) serve as a black operations group for the government of Bastion, conducting false flag operations, infiltrating cults, and researching ways to twist the once destructive powers of Hell to secure Bastion's place in world affairs. The government denies this, of course - consorting with Hell, after so many died during the wars, would be tantamount to treason and roundly condemned by the people of Bastion. Nonetheless, the idea persists, though it is anyone's guess if there is truth to the matter...

- Classes: The Infernal Champions employ special fighters and clerics, trained to become what are colloquially known as Hellknights. Of course, to become one, you would have to find them first.

Nature-Centered Organizations

Spoiler: For Those Who Draw Strength From Communing With Nature
    Show
    Circle of the Eternal Sky
    The most notable druidic circle in Bastion, the Circle of the Archtree concerns itself with the protection of the forests and animals of Bastion, as well as aiding the more agrarian population of the land with their farming and husbandry-related problems. Mysterious and wise, they are an invaluable part of keeping the wheels of the nation turning, and accordingly have a handful of holy days observed in their honor (typically during spring and fall). They can also sometimes be enlisted for the purposes of helping to deal with troublesome monsters or to help divine the future - all for a price, of course. Recently, their ruling conclave has begun accepting witches into their ranks, a move that has caused some rancor among the rank and file - for they are highly driven by tradition, having kept peace between man and nature for centuries. Time will only tell what the end result will be.

- Classes: Druids and Shamans form the main component of the Eternal Sky, but to a lesser extent, Witches with the following Patrons may also join. (Ancestors, Animals, Elements, Light, Moon, Mountain, Peace, Plant, Storms, Summer, Water, Winter, Wisdom)

Ironfist Nation:
    Not a nation in the traditional sense of the word, the Ironfist is a very loose association of several native tribes, the last in all of Bastion. Having willingly rejected the comforts of modern society, they strive to maintain a direct relationship between man and nature, living off the land with only the most primitive of technologies to aid them. Their barbarian warriors are noted for being some of the strongest men in the land, and their Shamans commune with nature to help guide their people. However, the recent growth of arcane power has touched even them, as their Barbarians have begun to discover how to use their rage to tap into arcana. Many worried mutterings have popped up since, but the advantage this offers them in driving off the worst mother nature has to offer has been too useful to quash them.

- Classes: Barbarians, Shamans, Skalds, Bloodragers, and Wildshape-oriented druids.

Frontier Battalion 5 (The Rangers)
    As Bastion is composed of many great and wide expanses of land, the government has need of a detachment of soldiers to help keep the peace in the frontier regions, as well as to act as scouts during traditional wars and collaborate with the Percellan Hunters to track down fugitives. For this reason the Rangers were created - unparalleled trackers and masters of gun, bow, and sword, able to hunt down any target.

- Classes: Obviously, Rangers, but Slayers, Hunters, and Cavaliers who have learned to minimize loud repetitive clanking can find a home here as well.

Martial Organizations

Spoiler: For Those Who Find Power In Strength Of Arms
    Show
    The Divine Army of Bastion
    Despite its name, Bastion's army is not staffed only by priests, although more often than not a squadron will include at least one cleric for the purposes of providing support and healing while on the field. Rather, it refers to the fact that Bastion, as a Theocracy, is dedicated toward preserving civilization through devotion to the three aspects. As such, their training is similar in some ways to the monastic orders that can be found around Teien, emphasizing self-actualization through developing superior strength, speed, stamina, and cunning. Through their training, as well as the wide deployment of firearms 300 years ago, the Divine Army is one of the most formidable forces on Teien.

- Classes: Fighters and Gunslingers make up the majority of recruits in the army, along with a lesser number of Barbarians who've tired of fighting independently, but any class focusing primarily on martial arts could find a home here.

Knights of the Open Palm
    Some call them a relic of a bygone era; others, a welcome harkening to tradition in a time of strife brought on through rampant and unstoppable progress. Regardless of what they truly are, the Knights of the Open palm form both a large number of the nobility in Bastion as well as the more mundane commanders of the army. Trained to operate on horseback and gryphonback for superior mobility, their sight on the battlefield is welcome to their men and feared by their enemies.

- Classes: Cavaliers and Mounted Paladins make up the overwhelming majority, along with a select few Samurai from the far-off continent of Kastali, but any class capable of operating effectively on horseback could find a home here.

Custos Pacem
    The formal name of the city guard, the Custos Pacem is technically a civilian organization; however, the overwhelming majority of its employees have, at some point, had military training. T rained to resolve conflicts quickly, nonlethally, and with the element of surprise, they are a welcome sight among many of the populace; however, in recent years the organization has been marred by scandal for using excessive force, especially when patrolling the lower income neighbourhoods. To combat this, the Archon's Court has been in collaboration with Myrkvi University to develop methods of recording staff activity so as to curb abuse of power and allow for the easier recording of evidence; this has lead to a decrease, though not a complete cessation, of complaints.

- Classes: Fighters, Gunslingers, and Investigators can find a home in the Custos Pacem

Raven's Eye
    tl;dr Eviller thieves-guild type thing plus assassins and tomb-raiders.

- Classes: Rogues, along with a dedicated squad of Ninjas from Kastali, form the bulk of the Raven's Eye gang. For less stealthy purposes, they also employ Fighters and Brawlers. There are rumors of a few fallen Paladins in the mix, as well...

Söngvari Hópur
    An independent group of traveling performers who moonlight as occasional archaeologists and adventurers, Söngvari Hópur are renowned throughout the land for being a rare group of performers who can actually back up their frequent boasts. Owing to a history of producing some of the finest musicians and fencers in the entirety of Teien, many aspiring bards and swashbucklers apply to become part of this exclusive circle; however, membership is comparatively restrictive, counting a mere 500 members at any one time. Because of their well-traveled nature, they are often used as investigators by the Myrkvi University.

- Classes: Swashbucklers, Rogues, Bards, and Skalds, and Investigators.

Arcane Organizations

Spoiler: For Those Who Use The Newfound Power of Arcana
    Show
    Bastion Artisan's Association
    To the untrained eye, it would seem as if the Bastion Artisan's Association is merely a unifying body for the various music, art, and barding colleges in Bastion, as well as a contractor for many of the performers to be found in its inns and taverns. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    Because of the strict regulations of the Bastion government, there are a lot of exotic foodstuffs, foreign literature, and illicit substances that cannot be bought through legal means or measures. The BAA (whose symbol is, appropriately, a fat, fluffy sheep holding a lyre) is thus a major purveyor of grey and black market goods, and has been known to conduct corporate and social espionage for a price. Unlike the Raven's Eye, however, they generally do not stoop so low as to take assassination-related missions; they do, however, frequently employ expatriate rejects from Myrkvi university who are tired of 'playing by the rules'.

- Classes: Any member of society who appreciates art and a good thrill is welcome to join (particularly in their more illicit activities), as well as any class with an arcane or psychic power source. However, Skalds, Bards, Rogues, Alchemists, Mesmerists, and to a lesser extent Investigators are particularly well-suited.

Myrkvi University Department of Arcane Studies
    Myrkvi University has a long and storied history, having been founded shortly after the creation of the nation of Bastion. After the printing press was invented by Johann Georgson in 1690, he sold one of the first models to a man named Rikard Kennarison, a notable scholar of the time. Realizing that the invention had the potential to allow the dissemination and spread of knowledge for comparatively cheap prices, Rikard founded Myrkvi to serve as both a purveyor of these books and to educate the young people of the day. It was a success, and has been noted for producing some of the most storied philosophers, scientists, and clerics on the entire planet of Eldin. Many of its heads have been noted adherents of the Aspect of Change or Balance, and it has always had a great emphasis in employing professors from diverse racial and geographical backgrounds; as such, the conditions are perfect for the discovery of new technologies and thaumaturgical techniques. Some of the things invented in whole, or in part, at the university include:

• The first bolt-action and magazine-fed firearms
    • Flush toilets
    • Eyeglasses
    • Various advancements and improvements to steam-powered locomotives (after the first were invented by the dwarves)
    • And, most recently, Elementally-powered dirigibles.

Most recently, however, under the guidance of the legendary hero Ulftyr Falinnson - who, even in his magically prolonged age, still leads the university today - it has become the center of all study on Teien of the arcane arts. As the discoverer of arcane magic 102 years ago, at the end of the War on Hell, Ulftyr wished to spread it to the world, confident that it would usher in a new golden age of civilization, as well as the cultural and technological dominance of Bastion. To that end, he has even created his own R&D department at the university, where he has overseen the development of many fabulous inventions that have, indeed, trasnformed the world. Many of his critics claim, however, that he is entirely too close and involved with Archon Iyeronim V, which has put a bit of a strain on the traditional freedoms of the school - and there are many ugly rumors that Ulftyr has conducted experiments that have been fairly lax with ethical standards in the name of progressing arcana. These rumors have been dispelled by several independent comittees, but a shadow of doubt remains, and the fact that a small but notable population of former students have begun dropping out to abuse their powers doesn't help. Even so, Myrkvi University continues to hold an important place in Bastion, and in Gottenburg.

- Classes: As the center of arcane studies on Teien, characters studying at Myrkvi university can be any class with an arcane power source. In particular, however, this mostly consist of Arcanists, Sorcerors, Wizards, Summoners, Magi, and Alchemists.

Third Eye Choir
    Everyone on Eldin knows, at this point, about the rise of arcane power as a new source to rival the magic of the divines, and it has been met with its fair shair of controversy as mages have used their new powers to radically alter tactics and matters of law and ability. Further complicating matters, however, is the more recent birth of a third source - what is called the occult, or psychic school of magic.
    As the stories go, during the early days of the Arcane Research department at Myrkvi university, and possibly even continuing to this day, experiments have been conducted with bloodletting and transfusal of people with arcane power into normal people, along with exposure to strange and eldritch artifacts. The descendants of these test subjects, affected in the womb by ways not natural to mankind, have then manifested power in strange and mysterious ways - calling upon the cosmic winds not trhough channeling the power of the aspects, or through reaching into the astral plane, but rather by using their own minds to impose their will upon the world.
    Despite the fervent denial of the claims of experimentation in this manner by Myrkvi University, the Arcane Research department has been able to make little progress in understanding the power and risks that such psychic magic poses. Additionally, due to restrictions and permit requriements on who can practice non-divine magic - 'to prove that they can safely handle power that as of yet has not been fully explored' - Psychic magicians have been further marginalized, existing in a rather nebulous gray area legally. Accordingly, most are looked down upon and denied ordinary jobs.
    But where there are people who share common interests, there is camaraderie and brotherhood, and the marginalized of society have thus come together to form the Third Eye Choir. Dedicated to advancing the cause of, and protecting, practitioners of psychic magic (along with Witches, whose arcane powers are alleged to come from eldritch patrons beyond time and space and thus exist in a similar situation), the Third Eye Choir also offers grey market services as mercenaries, using their telepaths to help coordinate field maneuvers with supreme stealth and power. Additionally, they conduct their own research into what fuels their power - and rumors exist that some in their organization have been leaking that info to Myrkvi University, in exchange for promises to grant additional freedoms to practice their craft publicly. Though it is true that psychics were only recently permitted to apply for Arcane Licensure as well - after a noted rise to fame of the TEC leader, Auga Kyndillsdottir - these claims have not yet definitively been proven. Legal status aside, psychics continue to face discrimination from society at large, and the TEC continues to fight against this.

- Classes: Because of their magic powers not falling inside the widely accepted divine schools, or the closely regulated arcane schools of magic, the Third Eye Choir is home almost exclusively to those whose power is variously described as 'Occult' or 'Psychic'. As such, Kineticists, Mediums, Mesmerists, Occultists, Psychics, and Spiritualists all find a home here. A rare exception to this membership are Witches, who, while possessing arcane power, gain it from eldritch sources that are as poorly understood as the psychic class.

Campaign Traits got so long that they had to be moved! They can be found in post #31!

SUGGESTED SKILLS AND LANGUAGES, FAVORED ENEMIES, AND FAVORED TERRAINS

Spoiler: And finally, Chapter 11.
    Show
    Aurora Tenebrosa is a slightly-more-optimistic-than-normal Cosmic Horror game, and is heavily inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls. As such, you will be confronting a wide variety of horrific apparitions and slavering beasts in your quest to make it through the night. However, as with all campaigns, some enemies will be appearing far more than others; for this purpose, I have put together a list of particular talents you might wish to have.

Skills: It is comparatively rare that all characters on a team will want to have a single skill across the board - with the exception of Perception, which all of you should definitely top up. No excuses. But even if you all have Perception to help spot the monsters, more often than not you will note that sometimes, you will come across enemies you simply cannot take on in a fair fight. When this happens, you will need to sneak around them, or to a place where you can press your advantage. For that reason, all characters should try to invest in Stealth. Other skills that may prove useful, but that not every character needs to have, include Acrobatics, Disable Device, Knowledges (Arcana), (Religion), (Planes), (Dungeoneering), and (Local), and Survival.

Languages
    : In the vast majority of situations, knowing Guardtongue (Common) should be able to see you through. However, in your adventures, sometimes you'll just need to know some others. In Bastion, aside from Guardtongue, Lotarwan (Elvish), Tiforl (Dwarven), Gobspeak, and Kruzhul (Orcish) are all commonly spoken, as the respective nations in which these are spoken are Bastion's biggest trading partners. Nircadian is another reasonably common language, being the lingua franca of Kastali, the nations of which are all on reasonably good terms with Bastion, by and large. And, of course, as they are the most commonly faced enemies, those in Bastion's armed forces are often given lessons to make sure they are conversant in Grafhýsi and Kernan.

Any of these languages would be good for your character to learn, but if you want to make ultra-sure you're prepped for this campaign, the following in particular may be of interest: Grafhýsi, Draconic, Elemental, and Aklo.

Favored Enemies and Terrain: While any good party should be able to take on a variety of challenges, there is only so much one can prepare for effectively, and as such it becomes necessary to narrow your focus at times. This holds particularly true for the Ranger, who has favored enemies and terrain - and even if you are not a ranger, it is good to know these things so that you may prepare appropriate measures of your own to deal with them. In the early days of the campaign, Undead will be the most common enemy, and as the campaign goes on Abberations and Evil Outsiders will also play a huge role. Urban areas will be a frequent setting, followed by Forest, Underground, Mountains, Swamp, and Plains, in that order.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-21 at 11:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

We who are about to roll, salute you.

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Spoiler: HP
    Show
    (1d8)[1]
    (1d8)[6]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

And now to make Nef's rolls look even better... by comparison.

Show
    (4d6b3)[3][2][4][2](11)
    (4d6b3)[2][2][3][1](8)
    (4d6b3)[3][5][5][1](14)
    (4d6b3)[3][1][1][5](10)
    (4d6b3)[3][6][3][1](13)
    (4d6b3)[1][2][5][4](12)

Show
    (1d12)[7]
    (1d12)[7]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

O god I'm panicking. Dear roll gods, please be with me this day.

Show
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Show
    (1d8)[7]
    (1d8)[5]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

So, we can roll now, right? Let's see if luck is on my side:

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[7]

So, three good rolls and three suck rolls, hmm... I could think that one is possible to exchange for point buy, but unchained rogues don't need a lot other than Dex... let me think about it.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2015-10-31 at 05:11 PM.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Ability
    Show

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Spoiler: Health
    Show

(1d10)[10]
    (1d10)[6]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    So, we can roll now, right? Let's see if luck is on my side:

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

So, three good rolls and three suck rolls, hmm... I could think that one is possible to exchange for point buy, but unchained rogues don't need a lot other than Dex... let me think about it.
    Indeed, you may in fact roll now. :) Seems to be the trend, here.

Given the three very nice rolls, if you wanted to minimize the dump stats, you could go Human/Half-orc and give one of them the +2. The three very good rolls could easily carry the weight of the class.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Ahh, but if my goal is to completely reduce dump stats, my best bet is to go Aasimar. 2 +2s, no penalties, and a whole host of choices for stat combos. And that's on top of all the other junk they get.

12. - Top - End - #12

Indeedlio. Thank you for reminding me about those guys, actually; I forgot to mention that alternate heritages for both Aasimar and Tieflings are allowed.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-10-31 at 05:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Most likely going with a bard, possibly Silver Balladeer. Azata blooded aasimar is likely as well. I'll read the post more after work in a few hours.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-10-31 at 07:34 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolling Stats
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Spoiler: Rollin HP
    Show
    (1d8)[1]
    (1d8)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if it can go well?

Spoiler: Character Attributes
    Show

<STR> (4d6b3)[12]
    <DEX> (4d6b3)[13]
    <CON> (4d6b3)[16]
    <INT> (4d6b3)[8]
    <WIS> (4d6b3)[10]
    <CHA> (4d6b3)[11]

Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

HP rolls, go!

(2d8)[4][3](7)

And Azata the Unchained Rogue is ready to be looked at! Thank God for Bags of Holding.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2015-10-31 at 08:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

And I am proud to announce our first content update! The full list of house rules is now available, and I have posted the first part of the Cosmology section! Thank you, everyone who has turned up thus far!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Turns out I misunderstood the threshhold for bad rolls. Gonna try my luck, and hope it doesn't bite me in the you-know-what.

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Holy crap, those are good rolls.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-11-01 at 11:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm honestly not quite sure how my schedule will look almost 2 months from now, but I figure it can't hurt to at least make some rolls and see what comes up.

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Ha... that's terrible. But it's at least crappy enough to qualify for the point buy safety net...
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2015-11-01 at 06:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Hi, Math!

Alright, everyone! I am proud to announce that the first daily content update has been posted! Two additional house rules, an additional set of playable races to choose from, an update to the Theology section, and the beginnings of the Organizations section have all been posted! Read away for your enjoyment!

Also, we've started a discussion thread on Skype! If you want in, just PM me and I'll send you the link.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-11-01 at 07:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Well she's got a ways to go in the ways of background, but the crunch for Hester is just about done.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolling HP for levels 2 and 3:

(1d8)[7]
    (1d8)[1]

Here's my WIP Character sheet: Silver Balladeer. Haven't picked a name, picture, or worked on background yet.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-11-01 at 10:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tentatively posting interest, mainly because I'm not sure how my schedule will look in a few months.

I've really wanted to play a bloodbender kineticist despite the fact that the class is kind of a mess, but we'll se how I feel about that after I give the class a more thorough read-through. Otherwise I'll wait for a little more setting info before I get a more concrete character concept going.

But might as well roll:

Spoiler: Rolls rolls rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Oh...wow. Point-buy it is, then.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-11-01 at 09:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Part 1 of Today's Content Update has been posted! House Rules 8 and 9 are up, as is the Languages tab! Unless I've overlooked something, it should be ready.

Next up, more Organizations! And possibly some political geography.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting to get a sheet together for my occultist :D
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

And after some thought I've decided to ditch the kineticist in favor of a warpriest, probably archery-focused. Very very bare-bones sheet for Imerin Atali is here.

Spoiler: hp
    Show
    (1d8)[1]
    (1d8)[8]

27. - Top - End - #27

Today's content update is here! Campaign Traits, notes on Bastion! It's all here!

28. - Top - End - #28

As an update, the basics of history are up! A quick run on the races will come before I go to bed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Rollin' for HP:

(1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[3]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Re-rolling my HP because of things.

Show
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[5]