Necromancy
    Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Target: Willing, living creature touched
    Duration: 6 hours
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

The target suffers agonising pain for the duration of the spell. They are effectively unconscious.
    This spell is generally used as a punishment when incarceration is deemed unrealistic, uneconomical or unethical. ‘Willingness’ is usually enforced with the threat of execution as an alternate punishment.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ...And Justice For All [Spell]

And it doesn't actually carry the risk of infection that scourging does... "nice"...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Usually one doesn't feel pain when unconscious (it is a defense mechanism, after all). So is it more like long tortures (the victim eventually wakes up but falls unconscious again from pain), or is the pain nightmare-like, haunting the victim in his unconscious state?

Anyway, good idea.
    \"Ring is on, ring is off!\"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really see any situations where incarceration would be considered unethical, but agonizing pain for 6 hours wouldn't.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assasinater View Post
    Usually one doesn't feel pain when unconscious (it is a defense mechanism, after all). So is it more like long tortures (the victim eventually wakes up but falls unconscious again from pain), or is the pain nightmare-like, haunting the victim in his unconscious state?
    I think the pain is real, and so debilitrating that for all effects realating to game mechanics, he is trated as being unconscious. Imagion someone rolling around screeming, drifting into and out of convulsions as each muscle contracts to the point bones bend. If I were in that situation, I'd be in no possition to make a Spot check or an attack roll. What game effect simulates this? Unconsciousness.

Nice spell. Can be quite an effective in game alternative to exeqution... but I'd like to see something else like it used for torture too, something like:
    Target: creature touched
    Duration: concentration and 1 day/level
    Save: Will
    The pain lasts while the caster consentrates, but this forces a loss of will power: -1 moral bonus to will saves that stacks with other castings of the spell from the same caster.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

this thing definitely needs the [evil] descriptor.

also, perhaps allow the duration to be changed, kind of like in delayed blast fireball. anywhere from 1 minute to 1 day, measured in minutes, sounds about right.

i'm not sure that you have to specify that the target must be living. spells like symbol of pain don't. otherwise i really like the spell.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

For a few delightful moments, I thought this was going to be the beginning of some Metallica themed Homebrew...
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd say the [Law] descriptor, given that it's intended as punishment. If I understand correctly, the idea is basically "OK, you stole his sheep, but we need you around to help with the harvest so we can't put you in jail. Instead, we'll pack in all the suffering of a year in jail into 6 hours so justice will be done but you can get back to work." Maybe you should allow the caster to vary the amount of pain the target is in depending to insure that the target isn't over- or under-punished, but that's just fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    For a few delightful moments, I thought this was going to be the beginning of some Metallica themed Homebrew...
    I assumed that the title mocks Metallica.

I can see it now,

Metallica fan DM: "Are you familiar with 'and Justice for all?'"

Naive PC: "yea, that's the thing that causes so much pain to those experiencing it they actually lapse into unconciousness to avoid the experience?"

MFD: "...." rolls "oh look, it appears you all missed your spot checks. The balors now have a surprise round."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Seems doubtful to me...
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpoo22 View Post
    this thing definitely needs the [evil] descriptor.
    I don't exactly see how this needs the [Evil] descriptor. I mean, what this spell does is that it inflicts horrible pain to those who I would assume are normally criminals. Compared to some other things they could do, this is actually pretty humane. It dosn't have the chance of killing you and dosn't actually cause anyone physical damage, it just makes them feel pain for a long time to get the point across of "You did wrong." It won't kill them, it won't cause any physical damamge, it dosn't have the potential to do either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd stipulate that there should be a material component: Evidence. A written, signed confession, for example.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

13. - Top - End - #13

Plus, you can use this against already unconcious opponents - Make sure you get a head start on your non-lethal damaged opponent.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    I'd stipulate that there should be a material component: Evidence. A written, signed confession, for example.
    very good Idea I feel. With it, it's a normal spell, or maybe lawful. without "conclusive evidence" it is an evil aligned spell

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    How about focus instead of component? Destroying evidence isn't usually a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Your manly chin makes Jay Leno weep.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I agree it should be a focus if used. I also think that you might want to consider , at the very least, having it usable both ways with descriptors (lawful, evil etc) based on whether it is present or not.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.