Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Rule clarification

In the rules of posting, about discussing post counts:
    Discussing Post Counts
    This also includes discussing user level or time being a member. Some people may think that a large post count is a status symbol, or grants them spooky powers. It doesn’t. We try to treat all posters as equal, the ones that just started posting and the ones that have been here since the dawn of time have equal importance.
    I would like to know how strict this is. Is it "no making reference to having a lot of posts" or just no acting superior due to post count? Can you say 'woo, I reached 100 posts!'? In passing, not starting a thread or anything. Like a footnote on a post.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2007-05-29 at 12:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rule clarification

No, "Woot I have <X-amount of posts>!" is also in under the rule.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I've seen quite a few people edit in "Woot! I made Dwarf" or something into an existing post. I think the rules are there to prevent actual threads and dedicated discussions of post counts to no positive end, and so long as you don't judge people by their posting titles (except maybe the mods ) I'm not sure it's an issue.

Of course this thread walks quite close to the "No discussing post counts" line, so meesa gonna go hide from the Big Bad InfractotronsTM

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: Why people even care about how many times they hit the "reply" button?
    Once in a forum I used to go, I was the 2nd top poster, because me and the "top 5" would usually make one or two comments on a thread, replying to questions, not for the sake of counting posts. The rest would post your usual "Yeah", "Me too."

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    No, "Woot I have <X-amount of posts>!" is also in under the rule.
    Indeed. By its terms, the rule forbids even passing references such as that. It's a topic to be avoided entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    Question: Why people even care about how many times they hit the "reply" button?
    Once in a forum I used to go, I was the 2nd top poster, because me and the "top 5" would usually make one or two comments on a thread, replying to questions, not for the sake of counting posts. The rest would post your usual "Yeah", "Me too."
    Why do people care? I don't know, but past practice here shows that some number of people do care. The two main ills that follow from that are posting merely to increase post count and treating others differently based on post counts. So rather than grapple with the underlying "why," we've attempted to avoid the issue entirely by undermining the main perceived value of a high post count.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2007-05-29 at 06:12 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex