Chambers Speaker (formerly Yun) Rogue//Psychic Warrior Warforged Evangelist
    bcool999 Jolt Crusader//Paladin Warforged Champion
    Ryuuk Linksy Magitech Templar//Duskblade Warforged and Duty
    whoiam Liselle d'Phiarlan Erudite//Bard Psionic Singer
    RPZip Lady Loraine d'Cannith Artificer//Factotum Airship philanthropist
    rypt Esara d'Lyrandar Wizard//Martial Swashbuckler Electrickery

Spoiler: Original Post
    Show

We hope this finds you at a convenient time. We have read upon the work you have done, and we wish to employ you and the services you bring. Ours and our own can be found at 23-48109, Houndshunt Way, Sovereign Towers. We are down the street from the Pavilion of the Host. Expected pay is 8,000 gold marks for completion of the task, as well as some measure of respect within House Cannith should you so choose.

With Respect,
    The Shatterglass Initiative.

The year is 1007 YK, and the messenger came at night. You’ve been requested, personally, by The Shatterglass Initiative. Which might be impressive, would their name be known. And while times are rough and dangerous in the world after the Last War, 8,000 marks is still 8,000 marks. With a careful eye and a reputation, you head to the provided address, ready to make a bit of coin.

System: D&D 3.5
    Player Count: 7
    Style of Play: Gestalt Eberron
    Allowed Content:

• I have access to all 3.5 official material. If you want something non-Eberron setting specific, let me know, and we'll see if we can adjust it. Questionable material should be asked for; rule of thumb being, if you think you'd need permission for it, or if you think I might say no, you should ask.
    • 3rd Party Material: This refers to material presented in books I would have to acquire, printed by a company other than WotC. Please do not ask for them. It would require me to purchase (or obtain through dubious means), and that would add one more realm of fluff I would have to deal with. Please see below for more on this.
    • Homebrew: This refers to material written by members on GiantITP. I'm going to be blunt: It runs the gambit! Generally speaking here, I will not be accepting of Homebrew that adds an entirely new system of gameplay, Homebrew that is incredibly, incredibly long or entire system/class revisions. I am more interested in homebrew that adds diversity and interesting combinations; this does not necessarily mean complex or convoluted. In addition, any homebrew you request must be accompanied by answers to these three questions:
      Why do you want it?
      What can it do that other classes can't?
      Are there any problems or potential power issues I should be made aware of?

Character Creation:

• Backstory: I need to know who you're playing. Whether this means you give me some sort of interview with your character, a personal recount of major deeds or a ten minute background is up to you. Skirt length, regardless of what you do, however.
    • Experience: 7th level. What this means, in terms of Eberron, is that most people dream about the kind of power you possess. What this means, in terms of you, is that you need some way to justify having that much power. Were you involved in the Last War, and if so, where? Have you spent your life training? Have you done private work since the Last War?
    • Wealth: WBL + 2kgp to spend on luxury items and/or housing. You can also spend it on travelling methods.
    • Ability Scores: 36pb
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max first level, roll for later levels.
    • Alignment: Get along. Play appropriately.

Posting:
    In past games I have failed in my duties as DM by letting the inaction of one player halt the advancement of the game for others. I have let this happen willingly, and many people will classify it as "the nature of PbP", a mindset I have grown to loathe. So I am putting myself and potential players under these rules:
    • I will post a minimum of once every other day. If all players who need to post or act have done so, I will post sooner.
    • If you have not posted within the three day limit, I will post for you as your character.
    • In relation to above, all players will be asked to provide a list of combat behaviors and tactics to follow, in lieu of doing them yourself.
    • If you are going to be absent, let me know. No one will judge you if you are busy IRL and are unable to play. Everyone will, however, be bummed by your sudden disappearance.

Other Notes:
    All characters will be categorized as Bruisers, Tricksters and Casters, based on your character's abilities and how they contribute to the party as a whole. If you feel your character can be classified under more than one role, I will put you under one based on what I see of your character in terms of fluff and crunch.
    Teleport and Greater Teleport do not exist. As such, the Siberys Mark of Passage grants Ethereal Jaunt 1/day.
    Everyone receives a free racial or Dragonmark feat of their choosing.
    Everyone receives a free dual-skill feat. (Agile, Athletic, Stealthy, etc.)
    There are two forms of a Siberys Dragonmark. A Newly-Awakened Mark, and a Fully-Awakened Mark. A Newly-Awakened Mark can be obtained by taking the Heir of Siberys PrC or performing a Great Deed. What a Great Deed is is subject to DM discretion. A Fully-Awakened Mark is obtained by taking both the Heir of Siberys PrC and performing a Great Deed. You may not start with already having performed a Great Deed.
    We are using this Crafting Variant. Spellcraft is used for magic items.
    Retroactive skill points.
    Fractional BAB/Saves.
    Pathfinder feat progression.
    Action Points are in use. They have the following rules:
    • You gain two points after each encounter; one or none if its an easier encounter. You start play with 6 points.
    • Points can be used for the following purposes. Uses marked with an asterisk may only be used once per round.
      • 1: Add Xd6 to a die roll. 1st - 7th: 1d6. 8th - 14th: 2d6. 9th - 20th: 3d6.*
      • 1: Roll twice, keep better result. Must be used before roll.
      • 1: Hasten Infusion. Ones longer than full-round become a full-round action. Full-round becomes standard. Standard becomes swift.*
      • 1: Stabilize, self or other.
      • 1: Boost Defense. Double normal benefits when fighting defensively (+4 dodge bonus to AC, or +6 if you have 5 or more tanks in Tumble.)
      • 1: Extra attack in any round where you perform a full-attack action.*
      • 2: Re-roll (if re-rolling an effect with multiple targets, re-roll for all targets).
      • 2: Take an extra move equivalent action on your turn.*
      • 2: Gain extra use of class feature. (Bardic Music, rage, Smite, etc. etc.)
      • 3: Take an extra standard action on your turn.*
      • 3: Evade death. Stabilizes you at [-5+Con Mod].
      • 4: Take an extra turn.*

Before the Adventure Began...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron had several adventures made for players at or below 7th-level, and this is your opportunity to have had your character 'do' them beforehand. This lets you have met your party members before this job, and also lets you collect unique loot or story arcs that would otherwise be unavailable.

Simply state which adventures you would have done from the list below, as well as what loot your character would have taken. You don't need to pay for these items; and its assumed all else would have been sold or taken to be improved, whichever may apply. You may only select a maximum of two adventures. Things listed as Automatic apply to everyone who takes part in an adventure. If it is listed as Available, players can talk things out to see who gets it. If a loot has a Skill Check, the person trying to claim it has to succeed the check, or lose the opportunity to have it.

The Forgotten Forge
    Under the employment of Lady Elaydren of House Cannith, [The Players] investigated into the murder of Bonal Geldem, a povost of Morgrave University, and have discovered a part of a long lost schema that you have handed over.
    - Automatic: Good side of Sergeant Dolom of City Watch
    - Automatic: Clear Liquid Synergy - Healing Potions heal 3 extra points of health
    - Automatic: Good side of Lady Elaydren
    - Available: Spellcraft DC 20 to memorize Seven Star Schema (2 attempts)
    - Available: Bonal Geldem's Journal
    Shadows of the Last War
    Under the employment of Lady Elaydren of House Cannith yet again, [The Players] have worked with her to obtain a second schema piece, another of four required. [The Players] have handed it, as well as its creation disc, to Lady Elaydren.
    - Available: Heward's Handy Haversack
    - Available: Talaen Kara, The Bold Stallion - Intelligent Valenar double scimitar
    - Available: Spellcraft DC 20 to memorize Diamond Schema (2 attempts)
    - Available: Free Cohort - Rorsa, Awakened Dire Wolf
    - Automatic: Contact - Failin and his Land Cart
    - Automatic: Enemy - Garrow, Changling Cleric
    Tensions Rising
    Under employment of Juffrey the Pale, [The Players] successfully aided the captain of the airship Cloud Ant, Aerdane d'Lyrander, to escape capture after his airship was damaged by mercenaries.
    - Automatic: Contact - Juffrey the Pale, Lyrandar Agent
    - Automatic: Contact - Aerdane d'Lyrandar
    - Automatic: Known favorably in House Lyrander
    - Available: Search, Decipher Script or Forgery DC 20 to memorize Lyrandar documents
    Chimes at Midnight
    Under umployment of Baron Trelib, [The Players] have saved his daughter, him and many others of Sharn from the Mastermind Inquisitive turned Mastermind Criminal, Victor Saint-Demain.
    - Available: Diamond-studded Mechanical Pocket Watch
    - Available: +2 Diamond-studded Masterwork Sword Cane (Functions as rapier)
    - Automatic: Favor with Baron Trelib d'Medani
    - Available: Contact - Bengen Burtuckle, dwarven Clerk OR Creeks, Halfling smoke den owner OR Scuttlebutt, Changeling of The Tyrants[
    - Available: Masterwork Adamantine Manacles
    - Available: Hostile Contact - DC Reflex 18 to catch Victor from falling to his death; if successful, will function as Contact, but only with great persuasion or bargaining. May become villain. Automatically rolled for anyone who claims anything from this adventure.
    Voyage of the Golden Dragon
    Whether they were a passenger or worker, [The Players] were aboard the first voyage of the Golden Dragon, and helped protect it from numerous attempts at its destruction.
    - Available: +4 Amulet of Health
    - Available: Spellbook and Journal of the Necromancer Gunter Hegerin
    - Available: Stormstrike, +1 Keen Shocking Burst Rapier
    - Available: Pearl of Power Earring (4th level)
    - Automatic: Treat the crew of the Golden Dragon as Contacts.
    - Automatic: Free voyage when possible aboard the Golden Dragon.
    - Available: Diplomacy DC 22: Manten Dramgrin, Chief Artificer of the Golden Dragon, will assist you in the production of creating an airship, lowering costs for both time and materials.

Chapter One: Tell Me If You've Heard This One Before
    Where our heroes find themselves in an upscale parlor...
    Last edited by Cardea; 2015-11-11 at 01:15 AM.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] War Stories: OOC I

Hello, everybody! Glad to be a part of the group!

Esara will speak in Lyrandar blue.

As far as her previous adventures are concerned, Voyage of the Golden Dragon is already a part of Esara's backstory, so that one's a given. Her primary loot preferences there would be Stormstrike and the pearl of power (I think Esara is the only one capable of preparing 4th level spells? apologies to Ranzol ). For her second adventure, I'd probably go with Tensions Rising so as to remain within the realm of Lyrandar interests.

Are we able to take 10 or take 20 on the previous adventure skill checks? And can we use action points (presumably reducing the number we'd have available at the start of the campaign)? If multiple skill checks are available for a single event, can we attempt each check individually, or do we need to pick one?

RPZip, I noticed that both our characters were previously involved in the development of airships. How long ago was this Travosky-Loraine process discovered? Do you have some idea of what the process is supposed to do? Who is Travosky? Also, you mentioned "an embarrassing incident with House Lyrandar". Do you have something in mind for the nature of that incident? Seems like there's a possibly our characters could have previously crossed paths.

And I actually never rolled for Esara's HP, so I should probably do that now: (6d10)[3][1][1][3][5][2](15) Well, that was...horrible.

EDIT: Here is a sheet for Esara's familiar, Fiowyn.
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-11-11 at 03:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Hello! I'll take a nice Goldenrod since it kinda sorta matches Loraine's hair without being truly obnoxious to read.

I've just skimmed the adventures to get a rough idea of what happens in them, but I haven't really sat down to read any of them. Thematically, I like the idea of sticking Loraine in the first two adventures, Forgotten Forge and Shadows of the Last War, given their overlap with my character concept. I also like the idea of having her replace the as-written Cannith contact, and then play a more active role in the actual investigation/adventure than the NPC contact would have played (more of a 'hire adventures to accompany me' than 'hire adventures to do this for me' sort of a deal), but if that's going to be a pain to work with I'll figure something else out.

RPZip, I noticed that both our characters were previously involved in the development of airships. How long ago was this Travosky-Loraine process discovered? Do you have some idea of what the process is supposed to do? Who is Travosky? Also, you mentioned "an embarrassing incident with House Lyrandar". Do you have something in mind for the nature of that incident? Seems like there's a possibly our characters could have previously crossed paths.
    I based most of the concept off a line Cardea posted about developments since the end of the Last War, namely:
    House Lyrander and House Cannith are in a trade agreement to produce smaller, personal airships.
    The Loraine-Travosky* process is related to the production of smaller airships, specifically the ability to stabilize elementals to power their elemental rings. Without the application of the Loraine-Travosky* process, elemental rings cannot be reduced below a certain size without causing critical containment failures; attempting to use a full-sized elemental ring on a small airship is not only wildly inefficient, it's also likely to destroy the ship from the stress induced. This happened enough times in testing and refinement to induce Loraine's deep-seated fear of flying.

Travosky would be a House Lyrander artificer; I picked the name more or less out of thin air because it sounded vaguely science-y to me. I didn't decide on the details of the embarrassing incident, but it almost certainly had something to do with the way Loraine was slowly frozen out of the development process as she continued to produce anything new, and Lyrander clawed back almost full control of the market from the initially joint venture; there was definitely some scandal involved, either with Loraine's accusation of it or the actuality of it. It's also why her name slowly vanished off the name of the process.

E: Having just looked over your backstory again, they could certainly have worked together given the overlapping interests. The discovery, failure and the subsequent falling out was a slow process that would have taken some time; Loraine could have been either the head of or the chief assistant on the House Cannith inquest into the failure of the storm elemental airship, the findings of which might have further worsened her standing with House Lyrander. If that's too antagonistic, she could have been in a more junior level position at the time; I'm not really sure how the timelines match up, I need to sit down and write it out.
    Last edited by RPZip; 2015-11-11 at 05:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm... Well, I usually go for Medium Blue for my characters' speech. Though I can switch to a backup color if people think that's too similar to Lyrander Blue.

Oh, Cardea: On the characters table, Liselle should be listed as a Telepath, not an Erudite. They may both be Psion variants, but they're not the same thing.

Previous Adventures
    I don't play through pre-published adventures very often, so I had to look some of those up as well...

I was thinking The Forgotten Forge, Chimes at Midnight and Voyage of the Golden Dragon all sounded like things Liselle might have done. Then I checked the details, and saw the Forgotten Forge was meant for 1st level characters... and Liselle's time as a 1st level PC happened a few decades ago in Cyre.

Ah, well. Limit was 2 anyway, so Chimes at Midnight and Voyage of the Golden Dragon it is!

Chimes at Midnight:
    I'll leave how she got involved until I see if anyone else is doing that adventure or not. But if it's just Liselle and NPCs, then she's just a Bard being hired by a group of investigators who wanted to make use of her people skills (as a lure, most likely), and the psionics (which Liselle doesn't generally advertise the existence of, beyond her possessing a psicrystal) proved to be a welcome bonus.

Loot taken:
    - Available: +2 Diamond-studded Masterwork Sword Cane (Functions as rapier)
    - Automatic: Favor with Baron Trelib d'Medani
    - Available: Contact - Creeks, Halfling smoke den owner
    "Reflex" - (1d20+7)[22]
    - Available: Hostile Contact - DC Reflex 18 to catch Victor from falling to his death; if successful, will function as Contact, but only with great persuasion or bargaining. May become villain. Automatically rolled for anyone who claims anything from this adventure.

Voyage of the Golden Dragon:
    Liselle would have been on this as crew - specifically, as in-flight entertainment. As with Chimes at Midnight, her ability to read minds would likely have started to come in handy when the threats started piling up...

Loot Taken:
    - Available: +4 Amulet of Health
    - Automatic: Treat the crew of the Golden Dragon as Contacts.
    - Automatic: Free voyage when possible aboard the Golden Dragon.
    "Diplomacy" - (1d20+17)[33]
    - Available: Diplomacy DC 22: Manten Dramgrin, Chief Artificer of the Golden Dragon, will assist you in the production of creating an airship, lowering costs for both time and materials. (If she makes the roll, this isn't something Liselle has taken the Artificer up on yet, but the offer's there for if she changes her mind...)
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-11-11 at 07:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Speaker will talk in Bold 4B0082. His adventures will be the Forgotten Forge (Bonal Geldem Journal) and Shadows of the Last War (Handy Haversack).
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Going with Teal.

Spoiler: Auto-Pilot Tactics
    Show
    Arcane Channeling would be his main plan, though how he goes about it would depend on the situation.

Default: 60ft Average Fly Speed + Shocking Grasp with Maul, maneuvering to reach target safely.

If multiple foes and unwise to stay in melee: Flyby Attack to skirmish vs chosen target

If it is critical to eliminate the threat: + Quick Cast True Strike, Max Power Attack

If best to capture: Slam instead of Maul, Dimension Hop / Ghoul Touch to move target back / paralyze, ignore the smell.

Vs Undead: + Chill Touch instead of Shocking Grasp

If below 50% HP: Flyby Attack to stay out of melee.

If below 25% HP: Obscuring Mist + Quick Cast Dimension Hop / Swift Invisibility to retreat.

I was looking over the past adventures. Only really browsed the first two, but they seem really appropriate. Running into agents of the Lord of Blades as a warforged raised by good humans, possibly re-purposing Dorasharn as a functional, hidden, workspace, knowledge of the schemas, possibly travelling past Marguul Pass and Veldarren in Darguun, reaching the Mournlands and visiting Whitehearth as a scavenging, would-be artificer. Add to that Tate would meet another intelligent item, as well as an awakened animal, and that kinda clenches it for me.

I would be really interested in the Journal and trying to memorize both schemas. It would probably not be wise to bid for Talaen Kara and Rorsa (that'd be a lot of familiar-like characters), but would love for someone else to grab them, or for Linksy to at least spend some time understanding Talaen Kara.

Seven Star Schema: (1d20+14)[22]
    Diamond Schema: (1d20+14)[25]

EDIT: Well, I'll read up on the Becoming God to see what Linksy would think of that religion. Looking over the journal, I'm not sure my character would be able to get it to turn show the writing, but would be very interested in what is written in it.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2015-11-11 at 10:19 AM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Jolt will use Teal Dark Green for his speech color (unless there is too much similarity to another color of course).

As for adventures, I am leaning towards the first two as well. Gotta keep the Warforged* trio together afterall!

As for loot from those, we can assume that Jolt just took his share in gold from the first and got the cohort (somehow considering his abysmal diplomacy) from the second. He could also claim the double scimitar as well, but it probably won't see much use and will probably be traded to an elf who has some sort of ancestral claim to it later on.

*Not all members of the Warforged trio may be actual Warforged.

EDIT: Does that Clear Liquid Synergy work with all potions we consume from now on? (Not that it matters too much... next level Jolt can't use potions of healing anyway only oils of repair)
    Last edited by bcool999; 2015-11-11 at 11:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Adventure Characters Claimed Optional Loot
    The Forgotten Forge Jolt, Linksy, Loraine, Speaker Bonal Geldem Journal (Linksy or Speaker), Schema (Linksy)
    Shadows of the Last War Jolt, Linksy, Loraine, Speaker Handy Haversack (Speaker), Schema (Linksy), Rorsa, the Awakened Dire Wolf (Jolt)
    Tensions Rising Esara
    Chimes at Midnight Liselle +2 Sword Cane (Liselle), Contact - Creeks (Liselle), Contact - Victor (Liselle)
    Voyage of the Golden Dragon Esara, Liselle Stormstrike (Esara), Pearl of Power (Esara), Amulet of Health (Liselle), Manten Dramgrin's offer (Liselle)

Just gotta add Void to the list.

*crosses fingers* Please don't pick The Forgotten Forge and Shadows of the Last War!

Esara and Liselle could do with some company elsewhere in the setting
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-11-11 at 11:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I'd also like a crack at the schema, although I didn't write it out since I wasn't sure if my suggestion to take the role of the NPC contact would work (or what 'two attempts' means in this context); presumably if she was the one who would pass them off to the Baron, she'd have a chance to study them in private too and make some notes first. Artificer and the Warforgettes sounds like a fun adventuring party, though!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I think the 2 attempts means that you only get 2 spellcraft checks each to try and memorize (maybe they were 1 attempt per level in the adventure and by the time you get 2 chances you would have completed the adventure).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPZip View Post
    E: Having just looked over your backstory again, they could certainly have worked together given the overlapping interests. The discovery, failure and the subsequent falling out was a slow process that would have taken some time; Loraine could have been either the head of or the chief assistant on the House Cannith inquest into the failure of the storm elemental airship, the findings of which might have further worsened her standing with House Lyrander. If that's too antagonistic, she could have been in a more junior level position at the time; I'm not really sure how the timelines match up, I need to sit down and write it out.
    Well, Esara joined the Gift around 980 YK. The first fully functional airship prototype was produced in 988 YK and the storm elemental binding attempt occurred in 997 YK. So it's been about ten years since Esara resigned her positioned and enlisted as a storm sentry.

I don't have any issue with there being some tension between our characters at the start of the campaign, so let me know what your thoughts are once you've had a chance to consider the chronology of the events.

EDIT: And with regards to the pre-adventure loot, Ranzol is welcome to the pearl of power if Aldurin would like for him to have been aboard the Golden Dragon.
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-11-11 at 04:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading up on the Becoming God:

...believe that a soul is built into a body - Check
    This belief is reflected in a propensity to add pieces to themselves - Check
    They search for the Firstforge, the damaged Cyran creation forge - Check
    ...carry so much material that they have a bizarre, overmechanized appearance. - Check

You know, Linksy would probably fit right in, but the fact that its so absorbing and leans a bit towards the fanatical at times would not sit well. He leaned towards Onatar through osmosis, simply by interacting with artificers most of his early life, but religion is not something he worries about too much. Humans made the forges, out of which came his kind, and if he attributes that to some greater divine being, then his own goal of a progeny becomes impossible. I could see him becoming more religious if his own work leads nowhere though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

rypt: No taking X on checks for loot. You may not use action points. You'll need to pick one check to use.

RPZip: You may not be the contact for those adventures.

bcool999: It'd apply to Oils of Repair, additionally. You're half right, but I'll clarify: For each item that requires a check, any person present can make the check, but only once if they are not a Schema.
    I currently do not check the playground forums. If you would like to reach me, you can find me on twitter as HTTPaladin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Search check vs. DC 20 to memorize Lyrandar documents: (d20+6)[12]
    Diplomacy check vs. DC 22 for airship construction assistance: (d20+9)[21]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hm. So, Liselle (who doesn't really want an airship) has the offer of cheap airship work, but Esara, who wants one, failed the diplomacy check.

*grin* Well, I wouldn't mind going in even shares on an airship. Liselle might need a little persuasion, but it shouldn't be *too* hard...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that'll teach me to make sure to take my laptop on business trips. Currently trying to figure out which adventures Void would be most likely involved in, and I'll get text color and figure out what his autopilot combat tactics are.

While I'm thinking, what optional loot items haven't yet been claimed?
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2015-11-12 at 12:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurin View Post
    Well that'll teach me to make sure to take my laptop on business trips. Currently trying to figure out which adventures Void would be most likely involved in, and I'll get text color and figure out what his autopilot combat tactics are.

While I'm thinking, what optional loot items haven't yet been claimed?
    Talaen Kara, The Bold Stallion - Intelligent Valenar double scimitar, Lyrander Documents (requires check), Diamond Studded Pocket Watch, Masterwork Adamantine Manacles, and a spellbook/journal belonging to a necromancer.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The 4th level pearl of power is available as well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Well, darn. I liked that idea. In that case, to avoid some thematic oddities (why is House Cannith South having someone else work as an intermediary to another House Cannith South member?), I'm going to switch it up and do Tensions Rising and Chimes at Midnight. I'll take the diamond-studded mechanical pocketwatch as well as the adamantine manacles if nobody else is especially interested in either, although I'm open to sharing if anyone else hops onto this adventure. Do I roll for the Hostile Contact as well? It's listed as automatic, but Liselle already made the check.

Searching for Lyrander Documents: (1d20)[19] + 7 (base) + 7 (Factotum Sudden Inspiration) makes it handily.

E:
    Well, Esara joined the Gift around 980 YK. The first fully functional airship prototype was produced in 988 YK and the storm elemental binding attempt occurred in 997 YK. So it's been about ten years since Esara resigned her positioned and enlisted as a storm sentry.
    That'd put Loraine in her early-to-mid 20s when the storm elemental binding went south, so sometime after she'd discovered the process but before she'd totally burned out. Put her at the head of the House Cannith inquest into what went wrong; partially as a reaction to her handling of it (insufficient tact) and partially due to her failure to produce results, she would have been shuffled out of the combined project afterwards. Adventure scheduling means they'd meet up again for the search for the downed House Lyrander airship and might have made some peace between each other... while Loraine was stealing important House Lyrander documents.
    Last edited by RPZip; 2015-11-12 at 04:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Forgotten Forge Jolt, Linksy, Speaker Bonal Geldem Journal (Linksy or Speaker), Schema (Linksy)
    Shadows of the Last War Jolt, Linksy, Speaker Handy Haversack (Speaker), Schema (Linksy), Rorsa, the Awakened Dire Wolf (Jolt)
    Tensions Rising Esara, Lorraine Lyrander Documents (Lorraine)
    Chimes at Midnight Liselle, Lorraine iWatch (Lorraine), +2 Sword Cane (Liselle), Mw Adamantine Manacles (Lorraine), Contact - Creeks (Liselle), Contact - Victor (Liselle)
    Voyage of the Golden Dragon Esara, Liselle Stormstrike (Esara), Pearl of Power (Esara), Amulet of Health (Liselle), Manten Dramgrin's offer (Liselle)

Why don't you roll for saving Victor as well, RPZip? Liselle and her pathetic Str rating (I needed the points for her Cha, okay?) could have probably done with the help

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    The Forgotten Forge Jolt, Linksy, Speaker Bonal Geldem Journal (Linksy or Speaker), Schema (Linksy)
    Shadows of the Last War Jolt, Linksy, Speaker Handy Haversack (Speaker), Schema (Linksy), Rorsa, the Awakened Dire Wolf (Jolt)
    Chimes at Midnight Liselle, Lorraine iWatch (Lorraine), +2 Sword Cane (Liselle), Mw Adamantine Manacles (Lorraine), Contact - Creeks (Liselle), Contact - Victor (Liselle)

Why don't you roll for saving Victor as well, RPZip? Liselle and her pathetic Str rating (I needed the points for her Cha, okay?) could have probably done with the help
    I actually meant to, then I just forgot to put it in the post.

Reflex check for the catch: (1d20+9)[29]

Making sure to get all my good rolls out of the way before we start with the game proper.
    Last edited by RPZip; 2015-11-12 at 06:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading a bit through Magic of Eberron to find a way to justify the fly speed granted by the Magitech Templar's Propulsion class feature. From my understanding, adding movement to large structures is usually done through elemental binding. I'd placed Linksy's background in a Brelish floating fortress to justify that. It would be impossible for him to do the binding himself, but having enough knowledge to help maintain one and the opportunity to loot/scavenge bound shards in Chydris when it fell in battle seems much more in line with the setting. Add a few craft checks and some Khyber dragonshards to Linksy and/or Tate and you have flight. Thoughts?

Mostly trying to use this as a way to bridge the gap between the Lyrandar/Airship group and the Cannith/Warforged group that seems to be forming adventure wise.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, thinking that Ranzol would have taken part in the Chimes at Midnight and Voyage of the Golden Dragon adventures under his Void identity, the former for his spying capabilities and the latter as a sort of proactive "kill things that are trying to threaten the ship" kind of role, while staying out of sight of the crew most of the time.

Claiming the Scuttlebutt contact, the Pearl of Power and the Gunter Hegerin Spellbook/Journal.

Reflex on Victor contact (1d20+13)[14], don't know how that would work out for Ranzol, especially as Victor might see through the hypocrisy in his morals.

Edit: Given that roll, I think it'd be more fun to spin it as Ranzol gave Victor a subtle push, under the guise of trying to catch him, to try to make sure he did actually fall to his death (one of those moments where his emotional scars from the war inflict the urge to make sure Victor can't cause any more problems), changing Victor to being just straight-up hostile if he noticed that since other characters did catch him regardless.
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2015-11-12 at 07:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    Reading a bit through Magic of Eberron to find a way to justify the fly speed granted by the Magitech Templar's Propulsion class feature. From my understanding, adding movement to large structures is usually done through elemental binding. I'd placed Linksy's background in a Brelish floating fortress to justify that. It would be impossible for him to do the binding himself, but having enough knowledge to help maintain one and the opportunity to loot/scavenge bound shards in Chydris when it fell in battle seems much more in line with the setting. Add a few craft checks and some Khyber dragonshards to Linksy and/or Tate and you have flight. Thoughts?

Mostly trying to use this as a way to bridge the gap between the Lyrandar/Airship group and the Cannith/Warforged group that seems to be forming adventure wise.
    Having it originate from (small) elementals bound into khyber shards would make sense to me; there's also the elemental-bound armor and weapons in the Eberron Campaign Setting to read over, one of which involves binding an air elemental into armor to grant a fly speed and some other benefits. Something based on that is definitely the right way to take it - even if you can't do the actual binding yourself, you wouldn't need to if you could scavenge existing shards.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Chimes at Midnight Liselle, Lorraine, Void iWatch (Lorraine), +2 Sword Cane (Liselle), Mw Adamantine Manacles (Lorraine), Contact - Creeks (Liselle), Contact - Scuttlebutt (Void), Contact - Victor (Liselle and Lorraine)
    Voyage of the Golden Dragon Esara, Liselle, Void Stormstrike (Esara), Pearl of Power (Void), Amulet of Health (Liselle), Spellbook and Journal of Gunter Hegerin (Void), Manten Dramgrin's offer (Liselle)

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurin View Post
    Edit: Given that roll, I think it'd be more fun to spin it as Ranzol gave Victor a subtle push, under the guise of trying to catch him, to try to make sure he did actually fall to his death (one of those moments where his emotional scars from the war inflict the urge to make sure Victor can't cause any more problems), changing Victor to being just straight-up hostile if he noticed that since other characters did catch him regardless.
    Victor wouldn't be the only one it would cause issues with. Comparing Liselle's Sense Motive to Ranzol's Bluff (11 to 0), there's a pretty good chance that Liselle would have realised he wasn't exactly trying to help...

So, now we know who did what in the backstory... Question! What order did those adventures happen in?

Anyway, time for a little pre-game interpersonal relationship building!
    Spoiler: Jolt, Linksy, Speaker
    Show

I'm thinking that unless any of your characters had a habit of checking out the bards in Sharn, we've probably not met before the party assembles in the IC thread.

Spoiler: Void
    Show

Just a little question to start with: How much military service did Renzol have? Going by the age on the character sheet, Cyre was destroyed by magic when Renzol was 15... Of course, it would fit pretty well with the role you wanted the Day of Mourning to occupy if he was actually an inexperienced boy when his unit was sent to do reconnaissance into the newly-created Mournland...

Either way, I doubt Liselle and Renzol would have encountered one another during the war. While Liselle's served all over Cyre in her lifetime, at the end of the war she was in the south-east, about as far away from the border with Thrane as she could get.

So, unless Renzol's the kind to go watch bard shows, he and Liselle probably first encountered each other on the two missions.
    Chimes at Midnight
    If Renzol is the kind to frequent bardic performances (or the Voyage happened first, so Renzol already knows Liselle has *some* combat utility), feel free to have him approach Liselle as a convenient face for his investigation. I would prefer her to have been recruited than to have just spontaneously decided to play cop, but I can make either work :)

So during the adventure itself, Liselle would have attempted to share thoughts with Renzol a few times. Depending on how well he responds to her attempt to get him talking... well, thinking, Liselle would reveal either:
    a) Just that she's telepathic
    b) That she's a Cyrean Last War veteran (if Void lets her know his actual identity).
    and/or c) That she became a bard as a response to the Day of Mourning - trying to heal lingering scars of the war as and when she gets the chance, without resorting to the sorts of acts that would just store up grievances for the next war... (Although for her to admit to that part, he'd have to share with her the effect the Day of Mourning had on him.)

But then he tries pushing Victor over the railings, and she manages to catch him. And however far they got during the investigation, Liselle won't touch Renzol's mind again (at least until the start of play.)

Liselle would probably pay Renzol much less attention during the voyage. If it happens before Chimes at Midnight, it'll be because her other duties on board are keeping her from socialising too much. If it happens afterwards, then because she's still with a huff and will be avoiding him whenever they're not in imminent danger.

*grin* I look forward to finding out what Renzol will think of Liselle

*sigh* My computer just decided to restart mid-post, wiping the Liselle->Lorraine and Liselle->Esara portions of this post :( I'll see if I can write them up again when I'm done kicking my PC in revenge

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Void
    Show

Just a little question to start with: How much military service did Renzol have? Going by the age on the character sheet, Cyre was destroyed by magic when Renzol was 15... Of course, it would fit pretty well with the role you wanted the Day of Mourning to occupy if he was actually an inexperienced boy when his unit was sent to do reconnaissance into the newly-created Mournland...

Either way, I doubt Liselle and Renzol would have encountered one another during the war. While Liselle's served all over Cyre in her lifetime, at the end of the war she was in the south-east, about as far away from the border with Thrane as she could get.

So, unless Renzol's the kind to go watch bard shows, he and Liselle probably first encountered each other on the two missions.
    Chimes at Midnight
    If Renzol is the kind to frequent bardic performances (or the Voyage happened first, so Renzol already knows Liselle has *some* combat utility), feel free to have him approach Liselle as a convenient face for his investigation. I would prefer her to have been recruited than to have just spontaneously decided to play cop, but I can make either work :)

So during the adventure itself, Liselle would have attempted to share thoughts with Renzol a few times. Depending on how well he responds to her attempt to get him talking... well, thinking, Liselle would reveal either:
    a) Just that she's telepathic
    b) That she's a Cyrean Last War veteran (if Void lets her know his actual identity).
    and/or c) That she became a bard as a response to the Day of Mourning - trying to heal lingering scars of the war as and when she gets the chance, without resorting to the sorts of acts that would just store up grievances for the next war... (Although for her to admit to that part, he'd have to share with her the effect the Day of Mourning had on him.)

But then he tries pushing Victor over the railings, and she manages to catch him. And however far they got during the investigation, Liselle won't touch Renzol's mind again (at least until the start of play.)

Liselle would probably pay Renzol much less attention during the voyage. If it happens before Chimes at Midnight, it'll be because her other duties on board are keeping her from socialising too much. If it happens afterwards, then because she's still with a huff and will be avoiding him whenever they're not in imminent danger.

*grin* I look forward to finding out what Renzol will think of Liselle
    I may have set Ranzol to be a little bit young for that, but with the way Thrane is, a kid might lie about his age to get into boot camp and earn glory for his country when wartime gets big enough. All the best intentions from someone who didn't know better. He'd avoid bard shows, especially those that tell tales of the war, since drinking and solitude are things he prefers, especially since he can just summon company when he wants to. So he would pretty much be guaranteed to meet Liselle during the first of these adventures (I'll be writing assuming they happen in the order originally listed, and change if I'm wrong).

In both cases Ranzol would have been called in by the employer from reputation or recommendation of his combat and espionage abilities, and not to work on recruiting other people (it's not quite the same thing as Nick Fury approaching you for the Avengers when an infamous assassin who hides his face asks if you want to go solve mysteries). When he has to work in a group as Void, he'll return enough small talk to keep things from being awkward, but after learning that Liselle is telepathic would give a grumpy "keep to your own mind" and keep more of a distance, never opening up about who he is or why he does his current line of work. The summoner's companion that he'd have at this time would probably be a Musteval, which Liselle might notice being unhappy with Void after the failed attempt to kill off Victor. It would be hard to catch him during the Golden Dragon stuff, since he'd spend a lot of time being on watch duty by standing sideways on a mast or on the underside of the ship (slippers of spider climbing is just a fun item in general), but she would notice that this time his current summoner's companion was a sulfur mephit. Ranzol will start this campaign with his summoner's companion set back to musteval (I like the idea of it being the same one from before, unless Cardea rules that's not how summoning works), so that will be worth noting.

As for Ranzol's opinion of Liselle, he wouldn't think highly of her, but not that lowly either. Main thing is his inability to accept that there are people who were alive during the war that still think that putting on a happy face and doing good will undo the damage, since his focus is on those people who are already bad and the ones that cause problems, the kind more easily swayed by a knife through the throat than an optimist's attitude. But having someone in his group that can more easily coax less hostile situations out of people was appreciated, with the caveat that it would end the moment that sort of socializing skills were turned against him (though it sounds like it wouldn't after he distances himself after learning about the telepathy).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alright, then. So Liselle and Void have a passable professional relationship (based on having complimentary specialities), but neither really like (or know) the other socially, and since the 'push' incident, neither are especially inclined to try and change that.

For the record, Liselle's shows do not mention the war. She might in normal conversation - she'd definitely not going to forget it anytime soon! - but it's not a topic she considers suitable for her 'act'. You're more likely to find her performing Cyrean music, as part of an effort on her part to keep her lost homeland's culture alive.

As for the underage enlistment, I've certainly got no problem with it. You'll note Liselle also started fighting decades before she became an adult. It's pretty common in wartime, actually. Especially in such long wars.

Spoiler: Loraine
    Show

An Elf, a Human and a Halfling walk into a bar....

So what do you think. Would Liselle and Loraine settle into a stable 'You're the knowledge, I'm the charisma' style working relationship? Or would the rival skillmonkey sides of their builds lead to the two of them trying to one-up each other in the application of their relevant skills?

Either way, Liselle's going to try and get into Loraine's head during the investigation. She always tries to keep access to someone else's thoughts, and Void was definitely... not interested. Which leaves Loraine as her target more or less by default.

As with Void, she'll back off if Loraine's got a problem with her 'intrusions'. Albeit a little more grudgingly this time, due to running out of other PCs to try bonding with...

Spoiler: Esara
    Show

What do you say to Liselle being responsible for Esara's inflated reputation? The Wizard and Psion would have both fought against that attack. But while Esara's openly practicing as a wizard, Liselle's not trying to publicise her psion powers too widely. So when people are getting accounts of the battle, the Golden Dragon's resident bard tells a stirring rendition of the tale, where both Esara and Liselle's supernatural efforts are ascribed to Esara... and a legend is born!

Apart from keeping her own abilities quiet using Esara as a smokescreen, Esara sounds like she might actually be good company. So, as with Loraine and Void above, we come to the question of just how much she'd be willing to let Liselle get into her mind during the flight... I don't see anything on the sheet that would especially discourage Liselle, so it's all down to how far Esara would be willing to go with it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPZip View Post
    That'd put Loraine in her early-to-mid 20s when the storm elemental binding went south, so sometime after she'd discovered the process but before she'd totally burned out. Put her at the head of the House Cannith inquest into what went wrong; partially as a reaction to her handling of it (insufficient tact) and partially due to her failure to produce results, she would have been shuffled out of the combined project afterwards. Adventure scheduling means they'd meet up again for the search for the downed House Lyrander airship and might have made some peace between each other... while Loraine was stealing important House Lyrander documents.
    This all seems reasonable to me. Esara wouldn't have accepted or supported the conclusions of any of the investigations (even that of her own house), and as a result, she would not have taken the Cannith inquest personally. She would have seen the investigations more as political circus than as bona fide attempts to uncover the truth. The finger pointing would have been especially disappointing to her, and while Esara would have associated Loraine with that sense of disappointment, seeing the artificer ostracized from her own work as a result would have lessened any sense of animosity Esara felt towards Loraine. By the end of the adventure, I actually think they would have gotten along rather well, though Esara's opinion of Loraine would change dramatically if she ever had reason to believe that Loraine was only there to steal information from her house.

Show

What do you say to Liselle being responsible for Esara's inflated reputation? The Wizard and Psion would have both fought against that attack. But while Esara's openly practicing as a wizard, Liselle's not trying to publicise her psion powers too widely. So when people are getting accounts of the battle, the Golden Dragon's resident bard tells a stirring rendition of the tale, where both Esara and Liselle's supernatural efforts are ascribed to Esara... and a legend is born!

Apart from keeping her own abilities quiet using Esara as a smokescreen, Esara sounds like she might actually be good company. So, as with Loraine and Void above, we come to the question of just how much she'd be willing to let Liselle get into her mind during the flight... I don't see anything on the sheet that would especially discourage Liselle, so it's all down to how far Esara would be willing to go with it.
    I actually like that idea a lot, though I think "legend" is a bit strong. I see Esara more as a minor celebrity who, while outwardly gracious, isn't particularly enjoying her 15 minutes of fame. I can definitely see a running joke between the two where Esara sarcastically thanks Liselle for her celebrity status.

As for allowing Liselle to peer into her mind, Esara would actually be firmly against that. She has a lot of confused emotions about what happened during the elemental binding disaster and she would guard the secrets of her miraculous survival very closely.
    Last edited by rypt; 2015-11-13 at 05:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Here is little breakdowns of how Jolt views the rest of the party. (Some of this is OOC perspective on how Jolt will react to certain members of the party, since he hasn't met a majority of them yet).

Spoiler: Linksy
    Show
    Jolt would consider Linsy (and Tate by extension) a reliable comrade fighting side by side with Jolt on the front lines. Though they fought on different sides of the war, Jolt would not view that as a reason not to be comrades now. Jolt would also be interested in Linksy's opinion of a nation of warforged (not what the lord of blades is doing, but an alternative for warforged who wish to band together).

Spoiler: Speaker
    Show
    Jolt would have a hesitant acceptance of Speaker. On the one hand, he would veiw him as slightly (or very) deranged and someone Jolt should keep an eye on for speaker's safety and the safety of others, Jolt would also be appreciative of Speaker's positive attitude towards the forged.

Spoiler: Loraine
    Show
    Jolt would probably not have known Loraine before the adventure, unless she spent time repairing warforged for Thrane during the war, or if she ever hired deneith mercenaries for protection and got Jolt. As it is, Jolt has a mix of feelings regarding Cannith as a whole, on the one hand they aided in Jolt's creation and raised Jolt and taught him how to fight. However, this wasn't out of parental guidance or kindness but a result of business practices. Warforged sold for more when trained. So depending on Loraine's attitude towards warforged, Jolt will either see her as a comrade who can highten Jolt's prowess and keep him alive, or she will be merely an ally who sees Jolt as a wall to hide behind and leave behind if the going gets tough.

Spoiler: liselle
    Show
    Funnily enough, Jolt could have met Liselle during the Last War. Jolt was a Thranish warforged so if liselle made many trips into Thrane after the warforged started hitting the battlefield we could have fought a skirmish against each other. Other than that Jolt is not a patron of the arts, so the likelihood of him seeing you preform is slim. Jolt wouldn't be opposed to having you in his head, but it may not be the most... Inviting mind (considering next level he is immine to mind-affecting as a comstruct). Other than that I see no reason we wouldn't get along. (Not buddy-buddy mind you but not hostile or confrontational either.)

Show
    Jolt and Esara definitely run in seperate circles. You can expect to be treated with respect by Jolt, but fame and family ties don't impress him that much so don't expect any fawning. He may be interested in sparring a little once he learns of your martial maneuvers.

Spoiler: Ransol/Void
    Show
    Should definitely keep the desertion a secret from Jolt. While he himself cut ties to Thrane with the signing of the peace treaty, he wouldn't look kindly upon or trust a man who would desert his comrades. Also, while Jolt understands that killing is often necessary, he does not condone assassination. He is also not very fond of those who would mock the morals and convictions of others.

And done! Probably should post or this might be looked over.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2015-11-14 at 12:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I see Speaker getting along famously with both Jolt and Linsky. As the two adventures they were in together were low level and he just recently (this level) acquired the ability to make Construct grafts, I think that will be something new for him (by which I mean he didn't have it when they adventures together).

He totally supports Jolts effort to create a Warforged nation and sees Linsky synthesis with the Titan as a perfect example of what it means to make way for the Becoming (whether Linksy really believes that or not). When the three are togehter he probably has a tendency to take the lead and speak for all of them, but means well. Basically when he's with them he thinks he's hanging out with two really neat dudes and is just happy to be around them, as he doesn't get many opportunities to be around people who accept his beliefs.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"