New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Roleplaying a Bard as an author/writer

Hi guys,

Not a D&D specific question but any game that has bards, really.

I have an idea about a storytelling bard. One that writes plays, books, tells stories, does readings, etc. Staying clear of magical music, though he does have an instrument.

Social interactions and social roleplaying is pretty straightforward and not a problem. I am more interested in a good way to translate his writing into magic. Do his words carry magic themselves? His writings? His stories? If so, how? Like tell a story about fire to cast a fire spell?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the advice!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Roleplaying a Bard as an author/writer

I'm not a bard player myself (my native charisma is too poor) but might I suggest the use of Epics? Seems like a good place to start, since they're part story, part poem, which, if used selectively, could be read off quickly enough (stanza by stanza) to matter in short combats while still having potential for significant length in less time restrictive functions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He doesn't play a magic instrument; instead, his talent at writing - and telling - stories is so incredibly skillful and compelling that even the cosmic forces of the universe sit up and take notice when he starts to speak. And when he starts telling a story where the characters are very similar to himself and his companions except for some very small change...their wounds have healed, they are stronger and faster, or the pebble he throws in real life is a ball of fire in the story...it's such a good story that the universe gets confused which one is actually happening. Eventually, the story ends and reality reasserts itself, but until then, magic.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-11-12 at 01:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Would Perform (Oratory) or similar skills be sutiable? DnD allows it. And I personally think a story telling bard is acceptable. So Acceptable that I might steal it...Ahem. Other then that, story telling is probably the first function of a bard, to deliver news and to make sure people remember the history of great heroes, so that their glory lives on forever. Sometimes the instrumental stuff is just a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Or, possibly, scrolls. After all, he writes magic. He may have a proficiency for creating scrolls, and passing the magic on to other people. Perhaps even creating scrolls as non-class-specific items (in 3e parlance, he writes scrolls that are effectively potions, usable by anyone).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Would Perform (Oratory) or similar skills be sutiable? DnD allows it. And I personally think a story telling bard is acceptable. So Acceptable that I might steal it...Ahem. Other then that, story telling is probably the first function of a bard, to deliver news and to make sure people remember the history of great heroes, so that their glory lives on forever. Sometimes the instrumental stuff is just a bonus.
    Just make sure you have your St. Crispin's Day speech queued up, lest you fall back on sounding like a cheerleader.

I used this idea for a backup game character, very loosely based on Tolkein (collector of stories and master linguist). Which is hilarious, given the amount of singing that goes on in his stories.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I played a journalist bard once. Basically her bardic music is rousing speeches (pretty much quoting verbatim famous speeches that seems to be relevant to the effect, I'm not that good) and "damaging" songs or powers are basically insulting remarks or speeches.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

This is kinda like me IRL. I enjoy wordplay; euphemism, puns, tongue twisters, etc. I also keep a notebook and pen with me. In-game that could be like a wizard's spellbook, but filled with things he has written. For flaws, he could be pedantic, or a little too sharp-tongued (not like me).

Mechanical advantages; perhaps an 'omniglot' where they get extra languages, scroll crafting, perhaps a 'arcane sight' feature for runes or written spells. Sepia Snake Sigil and Arcane Mark kinds of spells.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Lots of good ideas here, thanks. Have to run some of these homebrewed perks past the DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Short forms of stories like parables and fables, even proverbs, can make substitutes for magic spells.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I play virtually all of my bards like this. Slam poets, history based skalds, myth/legend keepers, and that guy at the local pub with all of the tall tales. Orators make great political/religious leaders as well. It is mechanically no different to use words instead of music notes to inspire courage, fascinate, or provide the verbal component for spells.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

There's a (Pathfinder) prestige class for just this concept called the Chronicler. Roleplay wise I see nothing wrong with the concept either, and love the idea of Tolkien on an adventure.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Pathfinder-specific but the bardic masterpieces sound like something you'd be interested in. That and the Seeker of the Song PrC from 3.5 , refluffed to oratory rather than song.