New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XIX: Worth a Third of Your Grade

Her accent tends to revert when she's talking to Agatha. Hopefully, that won't cause problems.

Although, she obviously hasn't met some of the little dogs I have. I wouldn't bet against them eating anybody.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'd bet the little dogs are easier to flea dip than Füst, though.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Is Furst just a really fast mount?
    If "he is a jaeger bear" means he has partaken of the jaegerbrew, he could easily be very fast - not in top speed, but I suspect jaegers don't need to stop to sleep or eat when they are in a hurry. Also, since they would not have been detained by the attacks on the railways like Agatha was, any difference in speed could have been compensated.

But ultimately, everything moves at the speed of plot.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

And as it turns out, the apologies are on Agatha's side, sort of.

Jenka sums up the situation quite well. This is a story about monsters.

And somebody gave the Jagerdraught to a BEAR??? Judas Priest. Even for crazies, that's crazy. O_O

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have to agree with Jenka's opinion on small dogs. We call them "Fußhupen" where I am from. (Well people who dislike them do. And even then only as a joke.)

Füst is a Jägerbear? As in a bear that is a Jäger? That's Mechanicsburg for you. Didn't expect this, but it isn't very surprising. If you have a potion that creates supersoldiers why shouldn't you test it on small woodland creatures? Especially if your name doesn't even appear in the same dictionary as words like sanity.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I have to agree with Jenka's opinion on small dogs. We call them "Fußhupen" where I am from. (Well people who dislike them do. And even then only as a joke.)

Füst is a Jägerbear? As in a bear that is a Jäger? That's Mechanicsburg for you. Didn't expect this, but it isn't very surprising. If you have a potion that creates supersoldiers why shouldn't you test it on small woodland creatures? Especially if your name doesn't even appear in the same dictionary as words like sanity.
    I wonder what the Jagerbrew would do to altered creatures like Krosp or his bear army? For Science!
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-12-14 at 10:28 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #247

What sort of twisted maniac would offer the jägerdraught to a bear?

...Right. Heterodyne. Moving on.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If "he is a jaeger bear" means he has partaken of the jaegerbrew, he could easily be very fast - not in top speed, but I suspect jaegers don't need to stop to sleep or eat when they are in a hurry. Also, since they would not have been detained by the attacks on the railways like Agatha was, any difference in speed could have been compensated.

But ultimately, everything moves at the speed of plot.

GW
    Also she can travel in more or less a straight line, while the corbites have to meander to town after town and then detoured back to their fortress, etc etc etc. If you travel 600 miles at 30 mph, while they have to travel 1800 miles at 60 mph, you are going to get to the location first.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Jenka sums up the situation quite well. This is a story about monsters.
    I don't know. A lot of this story is about people who are doing their best NOT to be monsters. And those around trying to keep them from being monsters as well. Agatha, Gil even the Baron and Tarvek.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I don't know. A lot of this story is about people who are doing their best NOT to be monsters. And those around trying to keep them from being monsters as well. Agatha, Gil even the Baron and Tarvek.
    That's a different useage of the word "monsters". All sparks are monsters for a start, by the first definition, by the second many humans are.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #251

Füst is a Jägerbear? As in a bear that is a Jäger?
    No, he'd be a Jägerbahr, since someone fed him a Jägerbrau. Or he ate someone who had.

And it's now canon in my head that the Heterodynes got after both the R.O.U.S.es and those rabbits from Python.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    No, he'd be a Jägerbahr, since someone fed him a Jägerbrau. Or he ate someone who had.
    Shouldn't he be a Jägerbär? (I almost wrote that. Took some time to get a and the e in the right order)
    I doubt Füst ate a Jäger. They don't seem very edible.

And it's now canon in my head that the Heterodynes got after both the R.O.U.S.es and those rabbits from Python.
    Nah, those are to harmless for Heterodyne creations. I mean the rabbit took only one grenade to die. True, that thing was cleary made by a Spark, but a proper Heterodyne Monster should be able to survive that.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-12-14 at 12:48 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Nah, those are to harmless for Heterodyne creations. I mean the rabbit took only one grenade to die. True, that thing was cleary made by a Spark, but a proper Heterodyne Monster should be able to survive that.
    Well to be fair I'm pretty sure the hand grenade was likely made by a spark as well.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2015-12-14 at 03:13 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt Füst ate a Jäger. They don't seem very edible.
    Actually, all signs point to bears Liking the taste of Jaeger

Though at the same time signs also point towards eating a Jager not being enough to become one.
    Clearly there were at one point a demented Heterodyne follower who wanted her pet bear to get a chance to drink the Jaegerbrau as well.
    And the demented madman in charge said "Ohh.. that sounds fun.. of course!"
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Whelp now Agatha's been clued in about the eldritch abomination from out of time threatening Mechanicsburg. Good, now we have the added sense of urgency we need to get Act II rolling. I'd rather not have the Foglios suffer creator existence failure before they're done!

Asides -- love the funny background event where Agatha's little weasel asserts his dominance over Jenka's Jägerbär ("hunter-bear"? Huh). And Mr. Foglio definitely has a gift for drawing faces and facial expressions...
    Check out my infrequently-updating blog, The Hammered Critic, where I discuss TV shows and movies I've watched, books and comics I've read, music I've listened to, and perhaps the odd culinary or alcoholic thing

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Logically, it was Higgs who got this information to Jenka. I wonder how he managed that. There are undoubtedly ways, and Higgs is amazingly competent at all he does - I'm sure Zeetha would agree - and as Val demonstrated, the Empire isn't as good at counter-espionage as Mechanicsbergers are at espionage. But still...

Evidently he either hasn't gotten the news out about Vole, or Jenka isn't telling.

I wonder who they're hunting...

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Logically, it was Higgs who got this information to Jenka. I wonder how he managed that.
    He walked up to Jenka and told her that Gil had asked him to get a message to Agatha and also that she shouldn't reveal where the message came from? That would probably be simple enough.

Keep in mind that Higgs is trying to keep his identity secret from Lucrezia (and therefore Agatha) but Gil has figured it out. Gil knows that Higgs is loyal to Agatha. An obvious way of passing a message to Agatha would be to ask Higgs to pass it on.

There really isn't much of a mystery about it.

Evidently he either hasn't gotten the news out about Vole, or Jenka isn't telling.
    Err, I suppose so, but who cares? Maybe Higgs mentioned Vole over a beer or maybe he didn't. Who knows? Who cares?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-12-16 at 02:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post

<snip>

Err, I suppose so, but who cares? Maybe Higgs mentioned Vole over a beer or maybe he didn't. Who knows? Who cares?
    A Jager has just gone through what may be several thousand or more years of accelerated aging and evolution, making him the most advanced and perhaps dangerous Jager ever. And it's not just any Jager, it's Vole, who has rejected the Jagertroth, tried to killed Agatha (and Gil, and Tarvek, and Othar), and seems only interested in blood and destruction on a massive scale.

That MIGHT warrant a mention. Sort of like you might want someone to tell you about a homicidal version of the Hulk, just on general principles.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That MIGHT warrant a mention. Sort of like you might want someone to tell you about a homicidal version of the Hulk, just on general principles.
    Unless said homicidal version of the Hulk is safely ensconced in a prison cell he can't escape from, which is pretty much the situation with Vole. In addition, just because he's very old doesn't necessarily mean he's more dangerous than a regular Jager--that would be speculation on Higgs' behalf, and he doesn't seem the type to raise a fuss over mere speculation.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Unless said homicidal version of the Hulk is safely ensconced in a prison cell he can't escape from, which is pretty much the situation with Vole. In addition, just because he's very old doesn't necessarily mean he's more dangerous than a regular Jager--that would be speculation on Higgs' behalf, and he doesn't seem the type to raise a fuss over mere speculation.
    The track record of prisons in this comic (excluding, or perhaps even including, der kestle) has been pretty poor. I wouldn't have expected more than an offhand mention in any case, though.

21. - Top - End - #261

BarbarianGuy

Higgs is the spymaster?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I wonder if Jenka and Dimo are hunting for Professor Zardilev, too? (It would be like a professor - and even more so grad students - to show up for free food.) Gil might have wanted his help in Mechanicsburg. If so, it will be interesting seeing how they would explain that to Agatha, though. It could be that Gil tried asking the Master in case the Master could find Zardilev in Paris proper, and had Higgs ask the Jägers in case that didn't work. It's even possible that Gil sent Higgs in a fast airship to Paris to handle things. It's not as if Higgs would mind going.

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Higgs is the spymaster?
    He would be the most likely candidate. I think he is also the "tricky" general mentioned here. That's never been confirmed, but I have seen a lot of what I took to be hints that that's the case.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-12-16 at 07:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keep in mind that Higgs is trying to keep his identity secret from Lucrezia (and therefore Agatha) but Gil has figured it out. Gil knows that Higgs is loyal to Agatha. An obvious way of passing a message to Agatha would be to ask Higgs to pass it on.

There really isn't much of a mystery about it.
    From where do you draw the conclusion that "Gil knows that Higgs is loyal to Agatha"?

24. - Top - End - #264
    tonytong
    Guest in the Playground

nice

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, then how about him being more or less 10 times the mass of a regular jaeger?
    Cant be sure about how he would fare against one of the larger generals, but the bear leader showed us that size does at least matter partly.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Alright, then how about him being more or less 10 times the mass of a regular jaeger?
    Cant be sure about how he would fare against one of the larger generals, but the bear leader showed us that size does at least matter partly.
    Totally agree with this. Even BEFORE the transformation Vol was extremely dangerous for a (former) Jaeger, know he's even worse. But he is also probably VERY well confined and so we may not seem him for a little while.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    From where do you draw the conclusion that "Gil knows that Higgs is loyal to Agatha"?
    Various things. Gil knows that Higgs was treated at Mamma Gkika, despite wearing a Wulfenbach uniform. He seemed to know enough to expect that Higgs wouldn't capture Violetta, even though Higgs could have done it. Gil saw how Higgs protected Gil by identifying himself (rather than Gil) to the castle. Gil knows that Higgs acted surprised because he couldn't remember something happening in Castle Heterodyne 300 years earlier. He saw that when Higgs wanted to leave the castle to take Zeetha to Mamma Gkika's, Higgs got permission from both Gil and Agatha. Gil saw that Higgs can fight and shrug off injuries as well as a Jäger, and he knows that any Jäger would be loyal to Agatha. Gil seemed to be trying to get a reaction out of Higgs when Gil talked to Higgs about about the Jägers while working on Vole. Gil knows that Higgs is in love with Zeetha and is fine with that.

You have to read between the lines, of course.

Having said all that, I had forgotten about it, but there is a second explanation for how the information could have gotten to Agatha. Gil and Higgs had swapped roles and Higgs had taken charge and was making Gil write a letter to Agatha. If Higgs followed up with making sure it would be delivered, the extra information about Agatha needed to deal with the time problem could have been sent at the same time. In any case, Higgs was not with Gil when Gil was dealing with Othar, so I wouldn't rule out Higgs taking everything to Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Totally agree with this. Even BEFORE the transformation Vol was extremely dangerous for a (former) Jaeger, know he's even worse. But he is also probably VERY well confined and so we may not seem him for a little while.
    He was easy to handle because he wasn't used to his new form yet. He'll be very dangerous if he manages to get free and gets practice using his body as it turned out once he stopped aging.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-12-17 at 10:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: bohrlaika
    Show
    She reminds me a lot of a certain lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Bugbear in the Playground

Various things. Gil knows that Higgs was treated at Mamma Gkika, despite wearing a Wulfenbach uniform. He seemed to know enough to expect that Higgs wouldn't capture Violetta, even though Higgs could have done it. Gil saw how Higgs protected Gil by identifying himself (rather than Gil) to the castle. Gil knows that Higgs acted surprised because he couldn't remember something happening in Castle Heterodyne 300 years earlier. He saw that when Higgs wanted to leave the castle to take Zeetha to Mamma Gkika's, Higgs got permission from both Gil and Agatha. Gil saw that Higgs can fight and shrug off injuries as well as a Jäger, and he knows that any Jäger would be loyal to Agatha. Gil seemed to be trying to get a reaction out of Higgs when Gil talked to Higgs about about the Jägers while working on Vole. Gil knows that Higgs is in love with Zeetha and is fine with that.

You have to read between the lines, of course.
    OK.. He's seen all of that, but at no point has he shown any indication that he's realized what it means. He probably should have, but that doesn't mean that he did.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    OK.. He's seen all of that, but at no point has he shown any indication that he's realized what it means. He probably should have, but that doesn't mean that he did.
    eschmenk noted multiple elements where Gil realized or expected things, so I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. Rereading the Vole revival scene, though, I'm inclined to agree that Gil isn't on the ball w.r.t. Higgs. Which is strange, considering Tarvek got it straight off.