New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Exalted 2nd Ed: What changes?

I've been running a game in 1'st edition Exalted and I was wondering what precisely is different in the second edition? I know that they use a couple different abilities (don't ask me what), but aside from that, what's up with the system (and how easy would conversion be)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Exalted 2nd Ed: What changes?

Ironically, I have the second edition and was wondering what the differences with the first would be, mainly for using some of the old material.

I'm also afraid that we should move this thread to the general gaming forum, since this is not d20.

EDIT: My bad, I'll learn to read next time I post... sorry
    Last edited by Rad; 2007-05-31 at 06:38 AM.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

A few ability changes, but mostly a significantly more streamlined combat system, the addition of systems for social and mass combat, and an overhaul of most of the charms.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I'm also afraid that we should move this thread to the general gaming forum, since this is not d20.
    Nope.

This subforum is called "D20 and general RPG". It's for all kinds of pencil-and-paper RPG.

And, needless to say, the more threads about non-d20 RPGs the better, opens the minds of some folks and shows them that RPG != d20.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurobara View Post
    A few ability changes, but mostly a significantly more streamlined combat system, the addition of systems for social and mass combat, and an overhaul of most of the charms.
    So pretty much just mechanics touchups? Any change to the plot, then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Go Tengu. Bad enough that we get so many general situation threads that are titled so as to be D&D-specific...

The combat, while not requiring rolls for defenses could be considered "streamlining", appears to me to be considerably more complicated; 2nd Edition, among other things, implements a tick system rather than round by round fighting (much more complicated, and I still haven't made sense of how that applies to Charms), ups the power on almost everything tremendously, adds a social combat system which is at least as complicated as the physical combat and slightly sillier (I mean, really, soaking with Appearance?), folds all unarmed combat into Martial Arts (one side effect of this is that Brawl trees are now Martial Arts. ....meaning DBs with Celestial initiation having access to Abyssal blood chains. Maidens, no.), and turns Endurance and Resistance into one Ability. In addition, it creates a conditional modifier for perfect defenses (all right in concept, silly in practice).

Off the battlefield, I'm rather impressed by some of the changes--the fluff is just plain pretty, the Motivations a good idea if a tad badly implemented, and they do the Lunars right, both fluff- and crunch-wise. I'm less than impressed by a lot of the other stuff, though; the martial arts are a tad overpowered (particularly White Veil, which while it has the most amusing flavortext I think I've seen on an MA yet really should be a Celestial MA, and Laughing Wounds, the Lover Clad's Dominatrix Fu, which is... ludicrous is the safest word for it.) It's pretty easy to retrofit the stuff that works, though; I've got a nice little Nightingale Style rewrite if you need it, among other things, and I'm going to be attacking 1st Edition Lunars again once my schedule settles down.

The Charms are a rather mixed bag--I am... rather less than impressed, let's put it that way. Particularly by some of the things I saw or didn't see in the Sidereal listing in the Storyteller's Companion. (Whose bright idea was it to include Neighborhood Relocation Scheme and not Trouble Reduction Strategy or Avoidance Kata, anyway?)

(Needless to say, I'm not fond of 2E.)

Further questions?

(Edit: Yeah, aside from Lunar social experiments and the Lover doing inventive things with warstriders, the world's pretty much the same.)
    Last edited by Ravyn; 2007-05-30 at 05:57 PM.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

better orginised from my POV. also hase a easyer bard.
    awsom avvy by simius
    srry 'bout the spellin'

OoTS Graveyard

R.I.P OoTS #1-#443
    Fell right into her grave. OoTS#120-#464