New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: One Piece RPG?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default One Piece RPG?

So I was thinking of trying to run a One Piece RPG since my players asked if I could do something like that. I was thinking of running the game with Pinnacle/Great White Games Savage Worlds rules. Has anyone tryed anything like this or has any tips they can give me?

Please click my dragons

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: One Piece RPG?

If you aren't adamant in using Savage Worlds, I suggest using Mutants and Masterminds instead. It'll allow for a huge amount of concepts, and with the variety of characters in One Piece I think that would be a huge help. It's definitely the system I would use if I were to play a One Piece campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauwel View Post
    If you aren't adamant in using Savage Worlds, I suggest using Mutants and Masterminds instead. It'll allow for a huge amount of concepts, and with the variety of characters in One Piece I think that would be a huge help. It's definitely the system I would use if I were to play a One Piece campaign.
    will have to look in to that, Only prob is the lack of a M&M book.

Please click my dragons

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

The Savage Worlds rules are very light and very easy to learn. It's an extremely agile system for doing something along the lines you're thinking of. It also uses a concept called "Plot Points" and strings them together. You can throw in a few "Savage Tales" to get your characters powered up to handle the finale.

I just did a quick search for "One Piece" because I wasn't sure what it was. Whoa! Pirates? One piece as in "one piece of eight"? w00t! You're gonna wanna run 50 Fathoms for them then, or a modified version of it. I've been playing in a 50 Fathoms campaign for about a year now and let me just tell you it rocks! It's one of the most fun campaigns I've ever played in. If you want a break from D&D and want a Pirate campaign, then Savage Worlds' 50 Fathoms is for you! There's also a 50 Fathoms Companion as well with more goodies and ship types.

You'll also want to look at their PDF Books too.

Oh, almost forgot ... check out the Savage Heroes Conversions page as well. All kinds of goodies for you too.

So, check out the 50 Fathoms setting because you won't be disappointed at all!

Dizlag

EDIT: forgot the link to the PDF books.
    EDIT2: simu-post ...

Savage Worlds is the most rules light AND flexible system I've ever played. All sorts of characters? No problem. Any setting as well. Superheroes (Necessary Evil), Victorian Age Monster Hunters (Rippers), Pirates (50 Fathoms), Fantasy (Evernight), Modern Ops, Wild West (Deadlands Reloaded), and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Dizlag; 2007-05-31 at 09:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dizlag View Post
    The Savage Worlds rules are very light and very easy to learn. It's an extremely agile system for doing something along the lines you're thinking of. It also uses a concept called "Plot Points" and strings them together. You can throw in a few "Savage Tales" to get your characters powered up to handle the finale.

I just did a quick search for "One Piece" because I wasn't sure what it was. Whoa! Pirates? One piece as in "one piece of eight"? w00t! You're gonna wanna run 50 Fathoms for them then, or a modified version of it. I've been playing in a 50 Fathoms campaign for about a year now and let me just tell you it rocks! It's one of the most fun campaigns I've ever played in. If you want a break from D&D and want a Pirate campaign, then Savage Worlds' 50 Fathoms is for you! There's also a 50 Fathoms Companion as well with more goodies and ship types.

You'll also want to look at their PDF Books too.

Oh, almost forgot ... check out the Savage Heroes Conversions page as well. All kinds of goodies for you too.

So, check out the 50 Fathoms setting because you won't be disappointed at all!

Dizlag

EDIT: forgot the link to the PDF books.
    Well, you see... One Piece isn't just about pirates. It's about mutant pirates. As in pirates with elongating limbs, explosive boogers and fire control (which is why I think a super-hero system would be better than Savage Worlds, although I honestly don't really know that much about it). There are normal (as in non-mutant) people in it too, but they have a habit of being equally unrealistic (Zolo throwing a building, Usopp surviving Mr. something's baseball bat, etc.).
    It's completely insane, but that's part of the charm. :)
    Last edited by Pauwel; 2007-05-31 at 10:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm a 36 year old male, married with 3 daughters (12, 11, 10). And I just couldn't help but to chuckle at "exploding boogers". I think I just have a new concept for a superhero or heck, a gnome sorcerer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, it's actually very much the same as Gambit from X-Men; anything Mr. 5 touches, he can make explosive. The explosive boogers are just a very... creative use of the power.
    Last edited by Pauwel; 2007-05-31 at 10:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

not exactly. Mr. 5's explosive weapons are limited to whatever comes from his body. he can't make other things explode, just portions of himself. A wiki search will give you more of an idea about what One Piece is all about.

PS. why not make the requirments for some of the prestige classes, "eating a devil fruit." that'll work with the context of the show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I can't say that I'm familiar with Pinnacle/Great White Games Savage Worlds rules, but I think one piece would work best in a point based system like GURPS rather than in a class based system like D&D/D20; with GURPS I'd go with Swashbucklers, Martial Arts & Supers.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2007-05-31 at 01:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TGWG View Post
    not exactly. Mr. 5's explosive weapons are limited to whatever comes from his body. he can't make other things explode, just portions of himself.
    But at one point he shoots explosive bullets from a normal revolver.
    Probably differences between the manga and the anime; I read the manga, since the 4Kids version is bloody awful and the original Japanese one is hard to aquire in Denmark.

Anyway, we should try to avoid derailing the thread further.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

if only the 4kids dub was as good as some of the fansubs...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pauwel View Post
    But at one point he shoots explosive bullets from a normal revolver.
    I'm sorry for going off the topic here, but if you read carefully you see that he hasn't got any bullets: he blows into the revolver and uses his exploding breath as the ammo. Exploding breath, I tell you!