Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 180
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)







    ...Why now? Perhaps this was the end. A miserable end, left torn and bloodied in some world which was not their own. No closer to answers. No closer to the truth. Only to find an inglorious death, far away from those they knew - to pass quietly - unremarkably, from the world of the living. If it all had been for nothing, if their lives had been for nothing... what had they lived for? What had they fought for? Regret. It was like a poison. The looming burden of an unfulfilled life crushing down upon each of them.








    Everything was hazy, their minds wandered as their vision flickered in and out of focus - obscured as it was by their own blood; The world was a dreadful length of tape, keyed in red and broken by sanguine frames to divide their own passing thoughts... They couldn't remember... remember how it even came to this. How had this all begun? The light of the world seemed to dim. It was cold. The smoke of the burning trees choked them... Perhaps the whole world was aflame, burning as their life blood watered the black roses that lay beneath them. Numb. It didn't hurt anymore. They didn't feel anymore... everything seemed to move with such a lethargic pace, as if time had found the night and took his rest. Tired. It took all the will one could muster to fight back the waves of lethargy. Eye lids were lead, breathing - slow. It didn't matter anymore;

    The children stepped through the field of petals, laden with stray limbs and eviscerated piles of bloodied flesh. The gore, covered the black field, painted by the shade of the dark roses. Their faces were obscured, covered by white death veils, blurring their features. The dancing red flame clung to their frail bodies like a shroud. Quietly tip-toeing through the bodies of the fallen Pathfinders, they grabbed the unconscious Serra'Tal, their precious friend, and begun to drag her away. She was alive. They had shielded her from the terrible fate which had befallen them - but now, they could do no more...














    Calm. They had done all they could - all they could have done. Their role, their place, in this world - was done. Now they could... Familiar. Sleep... Sleep? A sense of Deja Vu came with the thought. Every waking moment seemed to be filled with the pain of uncertainty and loss. Would it finally come to an end? Could they let it all come to pass...

    No. They remembered now. They would never rest. They were cursed by his will. They could remember, if in part, how it all had begun. With a black book, an ancient relic protected by The Elders... It was forbidden, yet they had read from its pages in secret. The rest was only a blur, but when they woke from the catatonic sleep - Serra'Tal was with them - and as if by instinct, they knew they must protect her. Yet... this was not the first time they had failed... No. This was not the first time they had died. They would never rest. They would never sleep. Not while their souls still remained. Not while Serra was still in danger... Not while Valper Galilei, The Sun King, and his Curse still bound their souls to his service - To defend his daughter. To defeat The Dusk Queen. To defend the world where he had been born.

    The magical flame crept into the black field. The raging inferno roared as it ignited the remains of their mutilated bodies. There was no pain anymore. There was thoughts left for a dying mind to process. The world seemed to drift away as their bodies writhed and twitched in their burning death spasms as the end came. There was only darkness...








    Perhaps they were falling, falling from the mortal realm to The Court of Pharasma to be judged by their deeds and pass unto the Otherworld. But it was short lived... the fall ceased, as they opened their eyes - standing before an unnaturally tall spectral figure, holding a familiar black book... They did not remember, yet their souls moved as if compelled, circling about the kind-faced man who bore an exotic bronzed complexion. His shadow was foreboding, haunting, like some grisly reaper. He opened the book silently, flipping to an early section of the book. He did not speak, yet some wordless translation was imparted to them, as if by the tome. Chapter 1 ...Their lives had only been a single Chapter to the unearthly artifact. So short... Indeed, they were not even destined to have died. It was not their time - yet it came just the same. Free will still defined how long, how short their lives had been - but they would live again... Live again, yet loose what they once had. Each time a piece of them died, or rather, the person that was did not return - changed by the world and experiences vastly different from the person that had been. Their souls remained, yet they were given a new life. A new body. There was no 'past', only the memory of what had been a past-life of another individual their soul had been... This was their curse. The price of foolish children's curiosity many lifetimes ago... Though one day, they would be free. The day, they found a life where Serra could grow into the woman who would succeed her mother and end the grim legacy she had left.

    But this was all just a dream... wasn't it? None of this could have been real. It wasn't real. When they woke, they'd be back at The Lodge, and The Captain would swat them for sleeping in the middle of the day again. They'd wake up. They'd wake up and this would all be over. What was this terrible nightmare? Why wouldn't it end? They had to find Serra, right? They had to get up and tend to their morning duties. Gods. Why couldn't they wake!? ...Let it be a dream. Please, let it be a dream.
















    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:25 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    It was familiar. It was real. This pain...

    With it, by it, they knew they were real - this was real. They woke. The reality of their condition quickly came spinning back into mind like some maddening cycle. One evil, replaced with another. The HavenGuard Offensive, as it was called, had begun - With the support of House Vronds, they moved in secret to strike at the heart of the underground movement and capture the proprietor of The Bloodtear Club. A handful of trusted soldiers loyal to the Brigadier General, and a number of Vronds swordsmen accompanied the rallied Pathfinders that had answered the Venture-Captain's call - Cal'vel Vronds lead the offensive himself, coordinating with The HavenGuard Lodge. The young man proved himself a fine tactician and commander. Finally, this night they'd have their answers... But all was not well.

    The terrible memories came flooding back, accosting them like a swarm of viscous insects within their mind, burning, aching. Various teams had been formed to move upon Haraday with stealth, and converge as a single force, but something had happened... Captain Haldan had deployed them last with Cal'vel to initiate the mission upon reaching the theater. Yet, before the mission could even commence the bodies of their men were found littered about the exterior of Haraday as they rallied to commence the offensive. Somehow they had lost the element of surprise, but with no time but this night and the entrance to Bloodtear in reach - they had little choice. They boldly pressed on alone, confident in what numbers they had brought with them. There was no cause to fear of hostile retaliation with their forces seemingly routed before the battle could begin, but they were wrong. The enemy had not come for those left dead and dying, they had other plans completely - it was a trap...

    It was all a blur. The explosion that threw them out of the catacomb's grim-abandoned reception chamber was not magical in nature. The stink of burning thermite and caustic vapors was not the work of some mage... The vampires were upon them in an instant. Slaughtering the wounded caught beneath burning rubble with unnatural strength - tearing them of their limbs. In an but the flash of a second the way forward and the vast majority of their allies had been whipped out. There was no victory to be found here, they had turned to retreat.

    What awaited them, was someone they had never expected - It was her. Standing amid the bloodied stones, echoing with agonized cries. was Serra'Tal. She was older now, but the unearthly grace and white of her hair was unmistakable. The haunting figures at her sides pointed accusingly with cruel fingers croaking out in some unknowable tongue. A strange magic, neither divine nor arcane washed over them holding them in place. A thin and haunting figure clad in torn grey robes skulked from behind the dark congregation. She ran her long talon-like nails against the wall, melting bone and stone of the catacomb mortar. She cackled wickedly, throwing back her head in grim victory, revealing her face. Half beauty, half horror - the returned corpse of the witch, Effal of Nine-Talons lingered before them. Some twisted undead reflection of the feytouched hexer that once lived.

    Put to death during the inquisition's witch burnings in a decade past. All of the grisly cowled figures lingering about the unearthly figure that was their friend seemed broken, hunched and covered with terrible wounds. Clad in sickly paste-white skin, they tightly encircled about Serra defensively, as if they were some pack of decaying guard dogs. The Wicked Witch of Talons gestured with a raised hand - the lights flickered out... Then came the screams...



    Slaughter. No word was more fitting - half of the remaining men were still held by the petrifying gaze of the undead-coven. Then butchered like meek livestock. Throats slit with cruel talons, spilling crimson pools into the hard earth to water the buried bones packed into the dirt. Madness and fear, perpetuated by some cursed aura broke their ranks - flashes, born of sparks as steel cleaved into stone and metal - men flailed wildly in terror against friend and enemy alike. Death screams rattled the walls and the hearts of the trapped Pathfinders. Cal'vel's cry could be heard above the death-frenzy, calling for a hastened charge. They broke through the blockade, blood showering over them, dripping from the walls and ceiling as the light of the exit finally came into view.... A crash and explosion of violent force crushed them with a wave of super-cold. An energy unlike any they had seen came roiling into the world, freezing the ground and walls instantly. Spears of cruel and jagged ice ruptured forth from the ground and walls lifting them up and casting them out of the catacombs....

    The Pathfinder's came flying out of the hidden pathway built into the wall behind Haraday Theater. Cal'vel, last in line grabbed Mirri tackling her out of the way of a 6ft pike of hissing ice. The massive pole impaled the knight and snapped in half sending them both into a sidelong tumble on the ground. The frozen blade, pierced into her shoulder from the brave knight's chest. He coughed a handful of blood into his gauntleted palm, rolling over to gasp for air. The wheezing of his hampered breaths, and the rhythmic whistle of air passing from his wound as the ice melted made evident his poor condition and punctured lung. With a shaking hand, he cut off a length of his own sleeve to cover the sucking-chest wound. "Eh... Heh. You've a nack for danger, cat. " His heavy steel-clad hand fumbled around blindly on the ground, as he grimaced, coughing blood - finally finding his trusted axe. "...Go. Leave me, I'm finished. I'll hold them off while I can."

    Mili and Khellan caught in the flurry of frozen blades blocked by Cal'vel, tumbled into the street on their back's - unharmed. Though nearly skewered by the devilish witch's magic, they had been saved by Cal'vel's sacrifice. Aisolyn at the forefront of the retreat escaped danger completely, looking back to see her allies thrown to the hard cobblestone street. They were all covered with the gore of their allies - only they had made it. A meager half-dozen - with twenty good-men lost.

    A condescending cackle echoed out towards them. The terrible screams had ceased... The witch, Effal stalked out of the darkness to stand over the fallen noble as she eyed the remnants of the would-be offensive - slick with gore. Her cruel hands hissed as the blood curdled on her nails, boiling from the horror-laden curses sealed within. Her malicious black, pupil-less eyes smiled - imagining which agonizing death she should visit upon her prey first... until...

    A familiar voice spoke out from within the darkness in some strange tongue. Serra stood at the edge of the darkness, surrounded by the undead creatures - more rising to join them... the corpses of their allies. With an authoritative command Effal's plans were swiftly put to an end. It was a language they could not understand, perhaps some ancient tongue did Serra reprimand the unliving hexer. The intent was plain - She had denied the clawed-witch of her prey. A command she did not take well - howling in fury and lashing out at the air wildly with her vicious hands. She looked down at Cal'vel, stepping on his wound with her bare foot choking forth a painful grunt from the knight. She hissed down at them in the common tongue; "...Perhaps another time then."

    Spoiler: (DC18 Religion Check - The Risen Witches)
    Show

    Recalling the various greater forms of intelligent undead in various teachings. The returned witches, ushered an old memory to mind. Teachings from The Church of Pharasma of unspeakable practices, to recreate a slain entity as a perversion of its former self. A flesh-eating undead known as a Darakhul. While exceedingly uncommon, they were threat of notable mention. The creation of such creatures had been lost since the fall of The Whispering Tyrant - for the better of the realm. Yet, there was little doubt. The returned witches were indeed these Darakhul. Either truly living, nor unliving... Something else entirely.


    Spoiler: (DC13 Local - The Witch of Nine Talons)
    Show

    A famous witch who had terrorized Caliphas for four decades from the shadow. Tales of her wickedness had become the stuff of local legend, retold to scare children countless times. A 'boogeyman' of sorts. But in truth, the tales were far less cruel then reality. The Witch of Talons had once been no more then a gypsy - born with the gift of natural divination, she was a skilled Oracle. But her gift became her obsession - she tirelessly strove to refine her gift, desiring not glimpses, but true vision of the future. A gift that had been lost since the death of Aroden. he would be the only one... Obsession became madness. An unquenchable hunger for power. She traded all she possessed in dark workings with The Abyss, she would be a god. Tainted beyond recognition, and vessel to a terrible nameless beast - she was unleashed upon the world as The Nine Taloned Witch, having had lost a finger on her left hand to her demonic-master.She hunted men and woman, consuming them to devour fragments of their souls.

    In AR 4686 did the legend known today emerge of the Child-Devouring Witch. Having discovered the strength of children's souls, a string of terrible kidnappings and horrible murders plagued the city - particularly North Cushing's Steel Steward Orphanage. The Inqusition finally apprehended the witch in AR 4698, where she was beheaded and then burned publicly.


    The witches turned away curtly, rallying about Serra as the dark coven turned to depart back into the bleak shadows of the catacombs. Pools of blood ran from the entrance like a river, issuing a sick splash with each of their steps in the muddied-red dirt. With a strange pause, the group stopped suddenly. Serra looked over her shoulder at the felled Pathfinders - her mouth moved wordlessly, as if she spoke in something less then a whisper...

    Spoiler: (DC20 Perception - Parting Words)
    Show

    Renka Passes Automatically by reading Serra's lips

    Spoiler: On Success
    Show

    Though it was brief, you are able to make out Serra's words: "Help me"


    Mirri's wound spurt a gush of warm blood from her shoulder. The wound was deep. The wounded knight looked over to the Pathfinder's. "...Well. That went better then expected. I don't know what that was about, but we cannot let this opportunity be wasted. If we don't get to Bloodtear tonight, we never will. We can't stop now. The passage is blocked, but Bridgeman took her men into Haraday to secure that hidden pass Haldan mentioned. I won't let those men's death be for nothing... I know - guh... I know, it looks bad. But if we turn away now, it'll be a lot worse. I'd rather die with blade in hand then see my city burn." The knight dug out a small vial from his belt pouch, spitting out a glob of thick mucus and blood before downing the contents. The wound lessened in severity, but the bleeding did not stop...

    Spoiler: Wounded
    Show

    Cal'vel and Mirri are both suffering from deep bleeding wounds. While not life-threatening currently, the wounds may become such if left untreated.

    Wounded:
    - The Character has suffered a grievous injury: 1 Point of Bleed Damage for 6 Rounds, beginning after this round.
    Cure (DC15 Heal Check): curing the wound immediately ends this effect and prevents Bleed Damage.




    Serra'Tal - Lost Sister

    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-11-16 at 10:24 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "Mirri!" Aisolyn's concerned for her friend momentarily overcame her anger at the ghastly witches and her shock at seeing dear Serra'Tal again. Rushing forward to lay hands on her, she focused her divine power through her ring to try and stop the bleeding. Friends first, allies later.

    "Why would Serra be with those creatures? Why would she command them?"

    Turning an angry glare towards Cal'vel, "Just what in the hells is The Bloodtear Club to have such monstrous allies?"

    Spoiler: Knowledge and Perception Checks
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) - (1d10+7)[11] vs DC 18

    Cannot attempt Knowledge (Local) because the DC is too high for an untrained check.

    Perception - (1d20+7)[8] vs DC 20


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Aisolyn moves to Mirri and uses her Ring of Cure Light Wounds to heal her. After that has finished, she will heal the other bleeding allies and anyone else who has been injured. Bleeding out people first, with friends having priority.
    Last edited by ArtichokeDip; 2015-11-16 at 07:40 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Seeing Aisolyn at Mirri's side, Khellan addresses the gash left on Cal'vel's body. With so many questions running through his mind, Khellan knows these moments matter most. Focus on the hurt, then we shall get our answers. With a sharp word, almost a bark, to Fa'uka, he sets her to stay at his side amidst the confusion.

    Turning to the wounded knight, Khellan's face looks unnaturally calm. His eyes had seen wounds far worse than this and his hands went through the motions with ease. As the bindings barely suffice to cover the blood and goop already there, Khellan steels a hard look around him once more.

    Aisolyn's voice rings out from Mirri's side and Khellan stands up and looks around for any others that can be helped, keeping an ear out for the knight's response.

    "There's a lot to answer for." Khellan breathes to himself. Anger was not a luxury he could afford while lives hung in the balance.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Khosan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Mili continued to lay there on the ground while everyone else began to busy themselves. Breathing heavily, she stared down the hall they'd all narrowly escaped from. Part nerves, part horror. Mostly nerves and old wounds. The slaughter hadn't spooked her half as much as the explosions had. She put her shield hand over her heart, attempting to slow the thumping within. The events that just unfolded were only just beginning to sink in and Mili needed a calm heart and mind to process all of it.

    "We...We all saw her, right?"
    Mili sat up, wiping away some of the blood and gore from her mask. "I mean...I'm a bit out of sorts here," her voice trembled and she let loose a nervous chuckle, "but I...She was there. Serra was there." She cradled her head in her hands, "That wasn't just me, right?"
    Last edited by Khosan; 2015-11-16 at 07:59 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Khellan, hearing the strain in Mili's voice, starts to walk towards her but stops cold. A glimmer of recognition shines in his eyes and he turns to one of the corpses lying on the ground around them. As he studies the body, or what's left of it, something clicks. He growls softly to Fa'uka and she sets her nose to the ground as Khellan studies the same place. After a short while of retracing the bodies and their steps, he stops and closely studies something on the ground. After a long moment, he lays a hand on Fa'uka's back and straightens up.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-16 at 01:59 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mokou-tan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gensokyo

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Renka staggered onto her feet, feeling rather woozy as she slips her clawblades into a special set of loops on her belt. "Serra..." Even as she moved, her body seemed to meld with the darkness around her. A few more staggering steps were taken before she stumbled to her knees in a corner, ripping away the scarf obstructing her face to vomit. "Anybody know something about that disgusting creature? It has something that belongs to me..."
    Lovely Mokou avatar by Kurien.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Mirri fumbles at her belt pouch for a vial of bloodblock, but stops as Aisolyn rushes over and casts a spell. She coughs several times, spitting out a lungful of blood and phlegm, then smiles weakly at her diminutive comrade. "Thanks, Aisolyn. I owe you one." The catfolk staggers to her feet, sword still in hand. Say what you will about Mirri (and there's a lot that could be said), she has her weapon handling skills down pat. "Hells yeah I'm going with you, Cal'vel. Whoever's behind the Bloodtear might know where Serra went. And what's going on with her. She asked for help... so even if those creatures followed her command, I don't think they were friendly."

    Blood covers her body from the chest down, matting brown tabby fur to the skin, but Mirri doesn't appear to care. "If I die, I'll die with that witch's blood on my blade and Serra'Tal free." She bares her fangs in the same disturbing grin she wears when plunging said blade into her enemies.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm sorry, yesterday took a lot out of me.

    Perception: (1d20+6)[20]
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-11-22 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Khosan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "So it wasn't just me then." Mili breathed a sigh of relief. At least I'm not hallucinating.

    Mili pushed herself up off the ground and dusted herself off, "Well, hopefully you'll be able to live with that witch's blood on your blade and Serra free. Much better outcome."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:30 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    The wounded noble glanced dismissively at the short Pathfinder that was Aisolyn. "A month and a half of efforts from your Venture-Captain. Perhaps fourteen-dozen groups of conscripted Pathfinders. The full might of The House of Vronds AND nearly a quarter of Caliphas's guard, to stop this vampire scourge... I'm sorry, but if there were any doubts in your mind as to the severity of this operation, then you child are either daft or blissfully naive. We've lost more Pathfinders within the hour then there are assigned within the city." He clawed his way to his feet with a grunt, lifting himself and the additional 80 pounds of armor off the ground. He surveyed the bloodied bodies about them. "...Though in truth, I cannot fault you. The known threat was already significant enough to bring the city to ruin - should The Inquisition bring war upon the underworld. But there is no war, and this resistance is far more fullsome then even my most generous estimates... The very same could have been the result with the vampires alone, but they are not so bold. Many questions have been answered already - but they are replaced with only more questions..." He ran a glowing hand over his armor - the hole in the burnished steel mended as he bent down and recovered a sizable burlap sack from one of the mangled bodies. He glanced inside, a minor glow illuminated his face from the contents. He tossed the bag to Mili "This is Faerie Flour, I assume. I've heard Bridgeman crafts such strange objects. Perhaps you'll find it of use - Search the bodies if you've time - We need to move upon Haraday while the enemy thinks us still recovering and demoralized." The noble quickly examined his axe, running his leather covered thumb over the cracked edge a few times inquisitively - A quarter of the sharpened edge fell off from the shaft. The blade was ruined. He groaned, throwing the now useless weapon to the ground and securing his shield, now unarmed. " The Clawed Witch, was not doubt Effal - A child murdering, soul-devouring beast of a creature, no longer human. That both accounts for the murders, child abductions and the whispers of a coven tied to the city's underworld. But none of that brings us any closer- " BTOOOMOOMM

    The rocking explosion shook the air and sent jagged cracks through the cobbled streets. The violent quake of the earth sent the lot of them back to the ground where they had risen. It had only been 5 minutes since they had completed staunching the bleeding wounds and they had experienced yet another explosion. It was as if this night was some demented wizard's wet dream. The visible buzz of dark electric energy which surged through the fissures within the ground and the vibrations within the air which made their hair stand on end was without any possible doubt, from a magical source. Cal'vel pushed up on one arm, glanced behind them at the theater. Some sickly aura seemed to linger, making the air seem humid and unpleasantly wet. ".....Gods be good. That came from the theater. I can feel immense evil. We need to move."

    He was right. Something wasn't right... and if Bridgeman was in the theater, she might have gotten caught in the middle of whatever the explosion had been. The short child-faced woman had perhaps been the closest thing to Serra they had ever found, someone truly special - but whereas Serra had always seemingly held a mysterious and dark nature, Denise Bridgeman was perhaps the scion of purity and a gentle nature. She had spoken on each of their behalf to be allowed to join The Lodge. Captain Haldan might have held a certain maternal-kindness towards her own - but her cruelty towards outsiders was something that could not be overstated. A fact which made joining The HavenGuard Lodge near impossible to join for most - a factor that gave a certain amount of prestige to the position. The other Pathfinders of The Lodge were good in their own right, but none had connected with each of them so much as Denise. She had spent much of her time with them helping them chase clues to retrace and uncover their past. Perhaps she had been the figure which had brought them even this far, always willing to listen and give them what little guidance they had found in this world. She had to be okay. Please be okay.

    A terrible sense of familiarity hung in the air.



    Spoiler: (Perception DC13 - Scattered Bodies)
    Show
    The scattered remains of the slain Pathfinders about them have been left unlooted, and seemingly slain by some wild beasts.


    Spoiler: Faerie Flour
    Show
    A strange improvised creation of Denise Bridgeman: One part flour, two parts chalk - and lots of magic.

    The half-pound bag of floury-chalk was heavily enchanted by permanent Light and Prestidigitation spells causing the powder to glow relatively brightly. The color could be changed at will along with altering its color when disturbed and providing a moderate warmth. Denise often used it for writing, marking walls and setting lines that changed color when crossed. Originally the strange solution was requested by Alandra for use during her scouting, but Denise quickly gained a certain fondness for the powdery stuff, using it perhaps more frequently then actually needed. Being cheap, and simple to mass-produce, she often gave sample to others to try...




    Cal'vel Vronds - Heir-Apparent of Mashir


    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-11-17 at 09:47 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Mirri scans the room, slit-pupiled eyes narrowing. "Huh, looks like everybody was killed by wild beasts more than, y'know, thinking beings. Hang on a second Cal'vel, I'll see if I can find you a new weapon. Always a shame when your old faithful breaks, but hey! Maybe there's something even better!" She trots off to the first corpse and starts rummaging, paying particular attention to pockets and belt pouches. Armor and weapons are good, healing potions are even better right now.
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-11-22 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Cal'vel! How long would it take us to get to the other explosion?! The concern is clearly written on Khellan's face. With no way of knowing what or who is over there, Khellan fears for the other group. If their tie to Serra had helped to spare the group, what protection could the others possibly have?

    Serra spared the knight. Is there something of her true self still left?

    If we cannot get to the others in time, it may prove to be folly rushing to their aid. Good people died with us tonight and we should not let that be in vain.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-18 at 03:51 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Was the escape of some of us also planned for? Could there be a trap yet to be sprung?

    Loudly enough for the others to hear, yet not loudly enough to carry far, Aisolyn says, "We shouldn't remain here too long. We haven't seen what slew these men and it might yet return."

    Warily she looks to the shadows and dark streets around them.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:30 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    Mirri shuffled through the bloodied corpses, though a small number of them had worn full plate... Just as their swords, it was ruined. Seemingly struck by a force so bone crushingly violent, it had sundered, or completely cloven both weapon and armor in half, with a seemingly blunt object. Some of the mangled bodies had been collapsed in on themselves, almost as if they had been 'canned' within their own armor, forming a mangled and bloodied package of putrid smelling gore. Blades were bent, shattered and broken, shards of steel laid about. Seemingly any drawn weapon or weighted armor had been obliterated by something vastly stronger then either man nor vampire. It was a sweeping wave of devistation across the plot of land behind the theater and the passing stretch of Coast Road. She could only find a Light Mace, Two Daggers and a Strange Bag on the body of what might have once been a cleric - his cloths, body and features were unrecognizable... in fact, it could have been a woman for all she knew, such was the extent of the damage.

    Spoiler: Inside the Bag: Masterwork Satchel
    Show

    The bag was of amazing quality, and filled with strange and useful remedies for an assortment of ailments.

    Twitch Tonic x3
    Barbarian Chew x2
    Clear Ear x1
    Smoke Pellets x1
    Antitoxin x2
    Antiplague x2
    Soothe Syrup x1
    Bloodblock x2
    Smelling Salts x1
    Troll Styptic x1
    Potion of Cure Light Wounds
    Potion? (Spellcraft/Appraise DC15)
    Potion? (Spellcraft/Appraise DC15)


    Spoiler: effect summery
    Show


    Twitch Tonic: +2 bonus on saves vs Paralysis

    Barbarian Chew: Side effects may include ugly red teeth, and an extra round of Rage if a barbarian enters it in the next hour after chewing.

    Clear Ear: It provides a +2 alchemical bonus on Perception and Knowledge checks, but a -2 on Charisma. Cranky rogues anyone?

    Smoke Pellets: The original ninja-vanish, these items are great for quick distractions that confuse enemies and allow for fast escapes (or assaults).

    Antitoxins and Antiplague: +5 bonus to poison and disease saves respectively for an hour once ingested

    Soothe Syrup: +5 for sickened and nauseated characters

    Bloodblock: ends any bleed effect instantly, and provides a +5 bonus on Heal checks as if the person had used a healer's kit

    Smelling Salts: give players who are rendered unconscious or staggered by a spell effect a new save, and they automatically revive a dying character to consciousness

    Troll Styptic: automatically ends all bleeding effects and ongoing damage, granting the recipient 2d4 rounds of fast healing 2. It does require a Fortitude save of 15 to not be sickened while the dressing does its work, but being a troll is far from pleasant.



    Cal'vel shook his head, raising a hand. "I'll make for poor aid with a dagger and sling against the vampires. But fear not, I had already planned for the worst. I've a horse prepared down the road, it's no more then perhaps a two-minute ride from here to Tower Janoglu, where my father has prepared fine soldiers from the Mahir Battalion. Give me 5 minutes - I shall return in four, with men and arms! " He dug out a Thunderstone from his baldric's belt pouch, handing it to Khellan, looking up at the Haraday Theater 50 ft away. "The theater is behind you... Whatever had caused that disturbance lurks within there. If you can - retrieve your Chronicler and get out, but only if you can confirm she is alive. If not, then do not enter the theater until I return, there's evil within that place. One I could not feel before... 5 minutes. Hold out til then. I'll meet you at Steel Steward Orphanage. No matter what happens - get there. " He turned away and sprinted off down the road, his heavy steps clanging on the stone as he vanished into the night. A short pause later and the sound of hasty galloping could be distantly heard diminishing in the dark.

    They were left in the street as the knight rode-off, the flicker of the oil street-lamps seemed to cast eerie shadows...

    Spoiler: ...In the corner of your vision (Perception DC24)
    Show
    Something lingers at the edge of your vision...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "Barbarian chew! Yes!" Mirri grabs the red packets, puts them in her belt pouch, and slings the satchel over her shoulder. The weapons she leaves, they're not valuable enough to be worth weighing herself down. "Thanks, mystery healer person. May Pharasma send you to your god of choice." She makes her way over to Aisolyn at a fast clip, expertly dodging bodies, and presents the satchel. "Check it out, Aisolyn! There's all kinds of good alchemical healery stuff in there, and a couple potions without labels. Nice bag too. I took some barbarian chew 'cause I don't think anybody else here can use it." Aisolyn can identify and distribute the rest of the goodies, Mirri isn't exactly an expert on alchemical drugs.

    Cal'vel gallops off without allowing anyone else to get a word in edgewise, leaving Mirri scratching at a patch of drying blood on her ear. "...I'd have loaned him my hammer if he just stuck around for a few more seconds. But hey, backup is good, backup is great even!" She looks at Renka and Mili, the two stealth specialists. Mirri is fairly decent at sneaking around if she takes off her armor, but that could be hazardous around here. "So what's the plan? You two want to try sneaking in to see if Denise is alive, and if so do you want me along? Or should we go to the orphanage, wait for Cal'vel, and bust the door in with him and his people?"
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-11-22 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Fa'uka's fur rises suddenly and she takes an agressive stance between Khellan and something off to the side. A warning growl ripples across her body and over her bared fangs.

    "Ware! To the side over there!"

    Khellan points in the direction of Fa'uka's growls. He's been with her far too long to doubt when her keen senses discover something, or someone, hidden to his.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-18 at 01:59 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Khosan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Mili snatches the bag of faerie flour out of the air, "Careful where you throw this stuff. Doesn't wash out easy, makes your hair glow funny coloO-" a luminescent trail of dust followed her to the ground as she was felled by the explosion. Swearing, Mili pushed herself back up. "This day just keeps getting better," she grunted, "doesn't it?" Once again, the little ratfolk dusted herself off, this time surrounding herself in a faint, glittery cloud of dust which she unsuccessfully attempted to fan away. The rest of the faerie flour was angrily but carefully shoved into her backpack.

    Mirri's comment about the beasts prompted a grimace and a closer investigation of one of the bodies from Mili. The last thing we need is another enemy on top of witches and vampires, she thought as she bent over one of the bodies, especially ones capable of something like this. Some of them were barely recognizable as bodies, and the one Mili'd chosen to inspect was only slightly better. Parts of it were still distinctly human but only just and those parts told the same story that Mirri'd mentioned. This had been something wild. Far more wild than anything she could imagine.

    Mili's mood did not improve as Cal'vel rode off. She trusted the man, he'd practically saved their lives just a few minutes ago, but she couldn't shake the feeling that they'd just been abandoned. Mirri's prodding roused her from her thoughts, "Plan? Well, we have two options. Stay out here, in the open, with whatever did this," she dramatically gestures to one of the more mangled bodies, "Or we go inside, save our friend and- Mili was once again interrupted, this time by Fa'uka and Khellan's mutual warnings. Her hand shot to her rapier.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2015-11-18 at 03:22 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:30 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    The sudden call of alarm from Khellan brought the attention of those around him. Their gazes were drawn to the side - looking off far into the darkness. Wisps of misty shadow vanished from view. Something had been there, watching them from the darkness. What little detectable movement that there had been to see was now gone. Still, there could be little doubt. They were not alone...

    Spoiler: Successful Perception (Circumstance Bonus)
    Show
    Fa'uka has successfully passed Perception Vs Strange Shadow

    Fa'uka gains the following:
    +5 Circumstance Bonus on Perception Vs Strange Shadow:1 Hour
    +5 Circumstance Bonus on Sense Motive Vs Strange Shadow:1 Hour
    +5 Circumstance Bonus on Will Saves Vs Strange Shadow:1 Hour


    The SteelSteward Orphanage was only a short distance away, perhaps only a minute of fast walking. The building overlooked Haraday Theater from across Coast Road, looming eerily in the distance. With the exception of a single candle-light left by a third-floor window, the orphanage seemed to be completely devoid of all life. Considering the hour, this was perhaps not unusual, yet the strange aura that seemed to hang in the air made the four story-tall building appear foreboding in a most unwelcoming sense. A cloaked man rounded the corner of the theater onto the avenue of Coast Road, which cleanly divided the district of North Cushing - in an immediate response, seeing the bodies some 40ft away, he staggered backwards. His cowl fell from his head, revealing the adult Tian male - no doubt some lowly smuggler wandering the streets after a too-late-night in the tavern. He sharply turned and sprinted away back in the direction he had come without a word.

    Spoiler: The Criminal Empire of Dr. Low (DC12 Local)
    Show
    To the eyes of the public, Dr. Low - a successful Tian merchant was something of an entrepreneur, rather then a merchant himself. His business, as everyone knew, operated out of the district of Ashtown. A incongruous building with pagoda-inspired architecture, known as The Seventh Eye. It housed not only a restaurant, but also a market selling exotic foreign foods and goods and a school offering lessons in Tian philosophy, language, culture, and history. His success was almost as hotly debated as his source of wealth. But to those familiar with Caliphas's true face, the face that moved beneath the city. Everyone knew Dr. Low was the Kingpin of Caliphas's largest criminal empire, with fingers stretching out beyond the city and beneath it. A man of business not to be trifled with. Those who made enemies of Dr. Low and his associates more often then not found themselves as nothing more than burnt remains dumped within The Ashheap...
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-11-18 at 01:45 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Aisolyn takes the bag offered by Mirri and quickly looks through the contents before giving the Smoke Pellets to Renka and the Clear Ear to Mili.

    "We should hurry as Cal'vel said. Someone was watching, and the longer we stay here the more vulnerable we'll be."

    Just in case... Aisolyn activates Detect Magic, to see if there are any more surprises lurking around.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "Agreed. The bodies around us are past any undead tampering, though I fear for the ones inside. I cannot imagine a crueler fate than to have my body turn against those I sought to protect."

    Khellan rests his hand on Fa'uka's head as he speaks, helping to calm her as the shadowed presence retreats.

    "Let us not tarry any longer in the open."

    Khellan looks to the group and approaches the entrance, smoothly removing his longbow from its place on his back.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    A swish of steel on leather sounds as Mirri draws her sword. "You want point or rear, Khellan? I'm good with either. Renka, you want to scout or flank?" Mili and Aisolyn stay in the center of the group, that's a given. First rule of adventuring; protect the magic people, especially the healer. "Anybody need light? I got a sweet deal on an everburning torch not long before we left to kick vampire ass, but there's the whole 'people can see us coming' thing to think about." Not for the first time, Mirri thanks Cayden Cailean that she was born catfolk. She sniffs the air, trying to detect anything that might be off.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception check for the hell of it: (1d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-11-22 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Khellan locks a knowing gaze with Mirri.

    "Our eyes are well equipped for hunting in the dark. Aisolyn may be the only one among us who needs that light. It is for her to decide if we travel within the light or not."
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-19 at 04:49 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:30 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    Circling around to the front of the building where the startled man had ran off in surprise was uneventful. Approaching the entrance to the Haraday Theater, made a number of fears become reality. The large ornate wooden doors of the theater lay bashed in on the ground inside. The heavy cast-iron hinges still hung stoutly on the reinforced frames set into the building's sides. The solid steel construction was bent and twisted, the doors themselves were simply crushed and thrown into the reception hall as shattered sheets of darkwood. They lingered outside, looking into the dark building. A trail of blood streamed out, intermingling with the splinters to flow out unto the stone steps up to the door where the Pathfinders prepared. Within the theater, it was a pitch black- seemingly dropped a degree to some umbral level of ambient dark. The keen eyes of the non-humans, could penetrate the strange obstruction of vision with some difficulty. The darkness of a lightless night intertwined with some strange cloud of black smoke near indistinguishable to those without perfect vision in the waning hours of twilight.

    Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    The marks on the remains of the door seemed to hold a cruel glow, some magical creature had leveled the solid 20ft tall portal to nothing but shattered pieces of darkwood and forged-steel. The magic held no determinable origin, no type, nor school which was familiar.... This was something else. Something ancient and terrible. Perhaps dating back to the times of the Runelords themselves. This would no doubt require much deeper investigation.

    The dark mist seemed to radiate a dark aura, though perhaps by nothing short of an obscure reference of the ancient powers wielded during the age of Thassilon - this seemed familiar;

    Spoiler: Umbral Magic (DC12 Arcana/Spellcraft)
    Show
    She recalled an entry from a tome titled "On The Might That Once Was: A History of Inner Sea Magic Vol 1.". The book itself was considerably rare, only a small number of volumes remained - owned by wealthy nobles in private libraries. Alandra Corvettis had gone out of her way to allow her access to a number of The Corvettis's personal ledgers to research lest-common forms of wizardry. Perhaps she would need to re-visit The Corvettis Estates to uncover the truth... Umbral Magic - the art of controlling shadowstuff itself was thought to be a practice long dead, with spells spoken in the Kellid tongue for secrecy. For Hallit possessed no written form...


    As her senses stretched out, it encountered something... perhaps nothing short of a living metaphysical cloud of Ęther. The nameless magic seemed to reel up like a great wyrm, casting horrible shadows within her mind's eye. An evil unlike any she had ever believed could walk the material realm. With a soundless yet dreadful cry, the intangible scaled beast unleashed a devastating roar through her consciousness. Her focus crumbled and the energies of her spell shattered within, overwhelmed by the magical force lurking deep within the dark reaches of the Haraday Theater...

    DC24 Will Save


    Spoiler: Perception + Scent
    Show
    Mirri's nose was first to catch the smell of blood and death in the air. Beneath it was the stench of some pack of furred creatures, now gone... Then hear ears caught sound, though distant and difficult to make out. Crying, but not any - or tears from some heinous specter, but rather from a familiar voice. It could only be Denise...

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Khosan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "Ah, thank you, Aisolyn." Mili takes the small vial and gives it a quick once over before she pours it into each of her ears. The feeling of the substance oozing into her head elicits a shudder and some sympathetic ear-rubbing from her. Clear ear isn't a pleasant substance to use for anyone, but with ears as large as hers, it always felt worse.

    "An orphanage?" The flickering candlelight weakly reflects off Mili's mask as she stares up at the third floor of the building, "I'd have preferred some place without children, but I suppose it'll have to do since Cal's already run off." Whether that's genuine annoyance or just the clear ear talking is up for debate, though with the way she keeps picking at her ears the latter possibility seems quite likely likely.

    The theater was certainly a sight to behold. What attracted Mili's attention the most was the door. It told a similar story to the bodies they'd found. Something with incredible strength had bashed it in and, moreover, whatever it was had done it before the explosion, otherwise the door would've collapsed out into the street and not into the theater. Probably. Mili had been good at detective work, but something of this scale was outside her realm of expertise. Knowing to look for which way the glass broke was a good starting point for break-ins, but that same line of thinking might not apply to something capable of caving in a man's breastplate with the man still inside it. "We should be very careful," she whispered as she began to creep inside, "that beast that killed all those men might be in here somewhere."

    "I'd keep the light out for a bit. I don't think it's a good time." Mili looked back toward the others from inside the theater, on top of what used to be the door. "And if you don't mind, Mirri, I'll take point."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+7)[11]
    Stealth - (1d20+12)[21]
    Last edited by Khosan; 2015-11-19 at 04:25 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:31 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater





    Khellan and his canine companion paused before the entrance. The long dark hall, stretched out some 40ft into the distance - a lightless walk. The floor was covered in streaming pools of blood running out of the broken doorway, yet there was no bodies to be seen. The bloody path seemed to paint the floor all the way to the rear of the bloodied chamber to a set of large and sturdy wooden doors, firmly closed. This was all his animal companion could see, yet Khellan could sense, and feel something more. Something familiar. It was difficult to grasp, an ancient sensation he had only known perhaps once before... To his eyes, the disquieting length of the hall seemed to distort and bend, as if it was flooded with water. Strange undefined shapes moved and slipped in and out of existence - as if some masquerade of shadowy representations mimiced things that had once traversed this very corridor. Finally - he remembered.

    In the most sacred of places, where the natural worlds magic was most pure. The Material Plane and The First World touched. Things were stranger here, and at times even time itself could be put into disarray. But none of that should have been possible within some bloodied theater within a capital city. Somewhere he knew he heard of such things... but where? He thought long and heard, if only he could remember...


    Spoiler: Memories of The Natural World: (DC15 Knowledge Nature - The First World and The Fey)
    Show

    Khellan receives a +2 Circumstance Bonus to this Knowledge Check. Knowledge Nature is treated as a class skill for this check



    The thoughts seemed to slip away from Aisolyn's mind as the terrible force of the evil she had seen came crashing down upon her. Visions of blood, death, suffering and fury all stormed within her mind as if furiously hammered into her consciousness by some brutish ogre's club. It was too much to take. A strange woman's voice chuckled deviously, seeming to echo off the walls. It was in no Language she had heard before - some ancient tongue whispering some profane curses. Her body jerked awkwardly as black streams of blackened electric energy hissed and danced about her body, shedding a strange black-light similar to the arcane darkness within. A word, the first clear word spoke out as if commanding a toy: "Come..." A Strange seal formed on her forehead, a sigil glowing with the same blackened-light. She couldn't control her body, with sharp-jerking steps, she strode half way into the hall before fighting back the compulsion that the woman's words brought... She knew it was in her mind... Something had gotten in, inside her. Something wicked and dark...



    Spoiler: Failed Will Save (Curse: Sigil of The Burning Rose)
    Show
    Aisolyn gains the following Penalties:

    -5 Circumstance Bonus on Perception Vs Strange Shadow
    -5 Circumstance Bonus on Sense Motive Vs Strange Shadow
    -5 Circumstance Bonus on Will Saves Vs Strange Shadow
    DC13 Will Save VS Command

    Duration: Until Curse Expires or Ended

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    A strangled whine emerges from Aisolyn's lips as her body jerks forwards, step by step past Khellan. "Help... I can't... stop..."

    Once across the threshold, Aisolyn stands there in a pool of blood, tears beginning to form in her eyes. Turning to face the others, she chokes them back. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself."

    "There's something here... Deep and dark. We're just toys to it and... and it took my mind away from me like it was nothing."

    Looking down the dark hall, the fear is plain in her voice. "I took a look. I couldn't resist. I saw something. It... and it wants us inside. If it asks again, I don't think I can resist."

    She looks again at her last remaining friends, the tears welling up in her eyes again. "Save yourselves, while there's still time... I think only death is down this hallway."
    Last edited by ArtichokeDip; 2015-11-19 at 10:52 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    "Guys! Guys, I heard Denise cry- Aisolyn!" Mirri rushes forward from her rearguard position, but by the time she gets there the young-looking mage has managed to stop herself. "Oh no. That's, that's very not good." If there's one thing Mirri hates and fears, it's mind-controlling magic. She knows very well what kind of carnage she can inflict. The thought of her blade being turned against her friends is the stuff of nightmares. "Well, if it happens again, I'll pick you up and we can all haul tail out of here. Matter of fact, why don't we do that anyway now that we know Denise is here and alive? We can go wait for Cal'vel at the orphanage, come back and beat whoever's killed our friends like a cheap drum!"
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-11-22 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Khellan's blood runs cold as he sees Aisolyn, mere steps from him, be jerked around as though a puppet on strings. The battle for her mind decided before he could lift a finger. Fa'uka begins to whine slightly, sensing something terribly wrong, but not seeing the cause.

    "Nnh.. no. NO! Aisolyn, break free! You can't have her!!"

    With each shuddering step she takes further in, Khellan's face contorts. As her tears fall, a force drives through him and flows into Aisolyn.

    "By the grace of Ketephys, be freed!"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Khellan uses Elysium's Call. Aisolyn gets an immediate reroll against the compulsion with a +2 sacred bonus.

    As the power leaves Khellan, he anxiously studies the faint mark of servitude on her face. Desperate to see it gone, his mind strains to understand where they are and what they're dealing with. Grasping at straws, he strains against the constant fog of his life's experiences to make a connection.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Khellan takes 10 for his Knowledge: Nature check. Total result is 16.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-20 at 03:23 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Part I: Time As Abjection
    The HavenGuard Offensive: ...Old Friends

    Neth the 3rd, Oathday - 11:31 PM / AR 4711
    Capital of Ustalav; The City of Caliphas
    District of North Cushing; Coast Road - Outside Haraday Theater




    Khellan's energy struck the enchanted Aisolyn, the pull of whatever now controlled her seemed to be lessened, but it did not carry the full effect he had hoped. The dark energy that filled her was far more potent then he had expected. A pulse of dark light seemed to radiate out rebuking the energy; this was a Curse, and not of a lesser design. The Sigil branded on the human's face, while difficult to make out - even with his keen elven eyes - was in some ancient Aklo tongue. Only the four things could remove it: A willful removal by its master. The death of the one who created it. Or the powerful magics in the form of Remove Curse, Wish and Lesser Wish... He thought, the final piece seeming to call in place. Aklo... His eyes widened in recognition. Oh no. Now he could remember...

    Spoiler: Khellan's Memory: The First World - Faerie Circles
    Show
    In the sacred places where the two worlds met. The world of the Fey. The First World, touched upon the material plane. Sometimes, when the connection was strong enough - greater Fey would come with their kin and erect a Faerie Circle - where the material plane would more accurately reflect their own eldritch world - Most times, this was a blessing, though never a place for the mortals to dwell.

    However, even the goodly Fey were famously mischievous. But the Dark Fey, who dwelled in the nether-regions of The First World, were rarely seen and never heard from. Rarely visiting the material plane. Creatures both unpredictable, volatile and tainted by the chaotic urges of their own nature. They perhaps made the most fearful of enemies, and mysterious of creatures that could be found wandering the unknowable expanses of The Otherworld. Nothing connected them between, no similar traits, archetypes nor desires. With an unheard of society, if it did indeed exist... Now they had seemingly stumbled upon the doorsteps of such an entity - within a Dark Fey's Faerie Circle... There was no escape for little Aisolyn.

    Faerie Rings were places to be feared and respected. Domains of the great nature-spirits which created them. The places touched upon by such creatures were saturated with the primordial power's of nature and the fey, distorting magic, reality and time itself - in an often erratic collision of elemental chaos. Remaining within such places for too long would only bring death - as time passed in blinding flashes, hours becoming years, days - decades. With a whimsical grasp which cast those within it astray. There was only one path of escape - an audience with the Fey Spirit who had created the ring.

    Erratic Time
    It is dangerous for mortals to dwell within the faerie ring
    for long periods of time. For every full hour that passes
    within its bounds, living creatures without the animal,
    fey, or plant type are aged one year (Fortitude negates).
    This aging includes all physical signs that time has passed,
    such as hair and nail growth. If the creature reaches its
    maximum age, it dies. Treat this as death from old age
    for the purposes of raise dead or similar effects. The aging
    caused by faerie ring has no effect on any spell durations or
    conditions affecting the target.


    Erratic Magic
    Spells and Spell-Like Abilities cast within, or into the effected area create horrific and wondrous effects:

    Table 2-3: Faerie Ring Effects
    d% Effect

    0-20 Spell fails and causes the caster 1d6 slashing
    damage per spell level (Fortitude negates) as
    the magical backlash warps the flow of time
    within their body.

    21-40 Spell effects appear in slow motion, and are
    delayed until the start of the casters next turn.

    41-60 Spell requires at least a full-round action to cast.

    61-80 Spell is cast as normal.

    81-100 Spell is automatically quickened (as the feat).
    If a spell has a casting time of more than one
    full round or this result comes up twice in one
    round, the spell is instead cast as normal.

    (OOC: Source - Deep Magic: Ley and Fey Magic)


    The voice spoke again in Aisolyn's mind over the chorus of hundreds of small voices chanting some haunting tongue, spilling forth vile curses into her mind. "Now, now... Fear not little one. I've no quarrel with your simple looking friends. Indeed. I am glad you've come... So fortunate is it, that one such as you has come upon the hour I wake. The mortals of this world are frail and boring. I desire a more suitable partner - perhaps an Immortal like yourself. Let us speak more inside..." The voice seemed to contrast the haunting choir of condemning voices, singing terrible curses.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-11-20 at 05:39 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Aisolyn shuddered at the mental caress of the voice inside her head.

    "It's telling us to come inside. That it won't hurt us... you. It wants to talk."

    Swallowing heavily, she continues, "The look I got at it before... before it took my mind. It was powerful. Ancient. Evil. I don't know what it wants, but it can't be good. If Denise is in there, then she's either already gone or it took her like it did me."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator
     
    flat_footed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] Apotheosis Act I: Perdition of a Maledictive Eternity (IC)

    Khellan backs away from Aisonlyn, taking a deep breath and tries to form words for what he remembers. "I've done what I can, though I fear it was not enough. Regardless, the longer we stay here the more danger we are in and we cannot even trust our own magics. The delight even good faeries find in mischief can be wantonly cruel, let alone the dark ones."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Khellan describes the intricacies of Faerie Circles to the party, as he remembers them.


    "Aisolyn, do you feel like you are back in control of your body; at least for the moment? The more answers we seek, the more questions we find. Whatever made that mark, could have done far worse if it had wanted t-."

    Khellan's eyes jump to Mirri as her words finally hit him. He had almost missed their meaning when Aisolyn was cursed. It surprised him how much Mirri was able to detect. "What did you hear?"
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2015-11-20 at 07:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •