Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

Lamashan 29---

Brin tries hard not to think of what Chanda would do with the mask, or the money, for that matter. It was a little late to be second guess the bargain now. Besides, they'd had Red's sister fence poisons, which certainly wouldn't be used to house orphans or feed abandoned animals. There was an important lesson about choosing alliances and the lesser of two evils to be had hear, but damned if Brin could figure it out in her present state.

It was time for a drink. A drink and a sleep. Possible both at the same time. It sounded impossible, but one never knew without trying. Lots and lots of trying.

Lamashan 31----

"Waddaya mean 'until word that all's well'?" Brin veritably bellows at the Captain Uriana. Even a two-day hangover wasn't going to prevent her from raising her voice at that nonsense. "If there is a problem--and there IS a problem--then they'll be waiting on an 'all clear' until they're cold in their graves."

"Look...I don't know about no Council politics, or anything about that." Brin leans close, whispering, "but isn't there something we could do to, you know, circumvent the situation? Like, I dunno, run that message asking for the Commander's official report out to the Fort ourselves? There must be some kind of excuse so that the aristocrats can't raise to big of stink. I don't really care about parades and credit. I mean....a reward would be nice, but that doesn't have to be public. Mostly I just want to finish this business, once and for all. How hard can that be?"

She rubs her temples. It never worked, but it always seemed like the thing to do when dealing with headaches or politics. Since both are at work, she massages extra hard.

This is why I steer clear of the clergy...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Red (in present time)

Sitting on the floor by Rico's knee, Red hugs her knees and sighs heavily, staring with faintly bloodshot eyes at a charred spot on the cowhide rug in front of Aunt Vera's hearth. The gashes on her neck and shoulder no longer hurt. Indeed, save for a pinkish tinge to the skin, there was little evidence of how badly she'd been cut, thanks to Brin's goddess. She couldn't say the same for her head though, for a dull throbbing had started up at the temples - part hangover, part weariness at the lady-captain's news.

She couldn't muster up the energy to feel upset. She'd barely gotten any sleep last night, with what Rico had told her. She was worried about Sirus, whose cure they had not yet found, despite Aunt Vera and Taladron doing their very best. She was annoyed with Chanda, who'd promised to find her before they left the city - she didn't particularly want to see her sister again. The dread of that had driven her to down most of a bottle of Andoran honey mead on her own last night, before Rico had knocked. Now, finding out that they couldn't go investigate at Fort Rannick... well, she'd been kind of expecting that one, at least.

"... Maybe the council... it is full... of the face-changers too," she remarks quietly to nobody in particular, still gazing glassy-eyed at the charred patch on the rug.

GM post

Captain Uriana pricks up her ears and shoots Red a sharp, withering glare. Clearly, the possibility has not escaped her either, but the woman is far too stolidly loyal to say so, instead directing her reply to Setsuna and the others.

"Aye. It's deep worrisome indeed, having to wait. But we can hardly go 'round and witch-hunt every man and woman in the Usher down neither. Fact is," she mutters, lowering her voice and glancing briefly at the nearby window even though there is naught to behold but the empty street outside. "There's been no word from the Fort in 'most two months. It's not usually a problem. Them rangers are queer folk - they keep to themselves. I mean, they're not exactly chatty. They've gone for weeks with no raven or courier, and then turns out Commander Bayden was just too busy quelling bugbears or ogres or some other beastie in the Kreegwood to write. But given how things are now..."

The captain shrugs and shifts her weight from foot to foot. "I'll put a word in his Lordship's ear for you. If he can persuade the Council that it's worth sending a mercenary team to make contact while the Watch deals with Ironbriar's mad cult and these Faceless Stalkers, then cat's in the bag, I'd say. But that could take weeks... the motion'd get tied up in the Hall, and now there's all kind of folk clamouring for the Hellknights to be evicted from the city on 'count of bloody Vee-ai's ties with them, never mind the missing ships due from the Nagos Isles and the Korvosan ambassador who's dying to stick a toe into the pie..."

A low note of bitterness seeps into the Captain's voice as she looks Brin straight in the eye without flinching, her green eyes shining as hard as ice jade. "I know it must seem a very little thing for the bigwigs to do for you. But right now, Fort Rannick's a mere speck in the pile of steaming horse-dung that on the plate. You don't wanna hear it, but that's how it is. You need to wait. I'd even suggest you head back to Sandpoint and cool your heels for a bit. Hanging about won't make things down in the Hall move none faster. And here. Doubt it'll sweeten your wait, but that don't matter none."

The Captain nods coolly towards a box that she'd lugged in with her off her horse. "From Gorby. Six hundred in plat crowns. For each of you on 'count of saving him from getting stuck by that Xanesha."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-06-30 at 09:41 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Listening to Uriana's explanation, Setsuna isn't exactly calmed or inspired to wait around much, even the platinum does little for her as there are more important things at stake than a little luxury. But still, after all that's happened, for the first time in forever, the tiefling has a selfish desire that she puts ahead of the greater good. Turning toward Brin and Naya, the two who are most inclined to understand the specific details of her problem, "If we are going to be unable to investigate for so long...then we can at least put the time to good use. After all that has happened...I do not want this contract hanging over me any more...will you two help me find a way to escape it?"

Spoiler
    Show

We beat the TPK Machine, so let's get Setsuna's soul back! It'll give us something to do during the interim that also allows us time to relax since we can only research for so many hours of the day
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"Fergive me sayin' so, ma'am, but..." Rico begins, then her ears prick as she snorts, "Fishy. Fishy. Fishy."

Slurping an uncharacteristically white coffee, she grimaces and clicks her fingers. "One o'th' "bare minimum" tests ye could do? Blood test. Just a prick would do. If they got nuthin' ta hide an' if they're as tough as they be, one little slice won't hurt 'em. Pride, mebbe. Dignity, sensibilities an' that shyet. But iffen dey don't bleed green, w'elp, dat be one way ta tell dey ain't face-changers."

Rico shrugs and wrinkles her nose. "It ain't THAT much of a... witch-hunt... as ye say. Or just SAY 'tis a new disease comin' up but a little bleedin' is wot keeps it down. Ah, FRAK, that's stupid, sorry. Or... well... SUMTHIN", anythin', that gets the blood test thing across."

"Ma'am, once again, I mean no offensin' by this, but..." she begins. "...iffen y'all ain't had no peep from 'em fer THAT long, mebbe a little messenger party won't be amiss? Just say it's friendly concern? Knock on their damn door until anybody actually answers? Even if all that'd show'd be that they're still there an' they're still alive, at least. Ye don't want moles amongst ye, an' ye definitely don't want yer hometown heroes ta be a buncha demon-frakkin' traitors, wudja? Even if it'd be riskin' yer a bit o' censure or reprimand, fer holy sakes, could ya send someone ta CHECK, ma'am?"

Rico's gaze narrows, and she lowers her head, slowly shaking, her ears flat in respectful submission. "Again, ain't meanin' no disrespectin', ma'am. This be yer turf, yer jurisdiction, yer home, ye knows wo's best fer here. But this 'ere demons an' conspiracies business, 'tis bad not just fer Sandpoint nor just Magnimar, 'tis a literal damned buggerin' mess wot threatens th' whole bloody realm. Any an' every effort that we can strike, no matta' 'ow seemingly small, it damned well counts."

She shakes her head, grits her teeth, slurps some more white coffee. Puts down the cup with what seems to be a juddering hand. She breathes, then says through a thin smile. "Fer wot t's worth, ma'am, thanks fer wot ye've done so far. 'Ppreciated."

Closing her eyes, she leans back into her seat and passes the serving platter for whatever remains of Breakfast At Vera's to their ironclad guest. "Eat, ma'am, if ye please. Grab a little afore ye rock on back ta the rest o' today's heavies, eh?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-07-02 at 12:30 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Listening to Rico's idea for exposing the faceless stalkers, the tiefling shakes her head. "That would not work, Rico. The shapeshifters bleed the same as everyone else. They may be slightly harder to hurt, but that can be faked...revealing them would require tricking them into changing form or powerful magic."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Rico stares at Setsuna as if she were addled. Then stares at her cup as if she herself were addled.

Both hands rise into the air in a meaningless gesture of frustration. "Despite. De. Fakk. Dat. Dey. BLEED GREEN? Dey was CUT easy 'nuff. Rubbery flesh mah arse. Psh."

"Fook alla dat magick deviltry, though." she grates through a grimace then forces a smile. "G'luck wi' yer... uh... get well soon."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

For a moment, as Rico offers her the plate of bread and honey, Captain Acacia Uriana looks much older than her eight and thirty years, something weary and wistful about her eyes as she takes a deep breath and eases the tension out of her shoulders.

"I see that Belor's taught you fine manners, constable. Even if you worry worse'n a bear with naught to wear." The Captain remarks drily, a faint smirk flitting across her lips as she shifts her helm from arm to arm. "Still, bear that office proudly, young one. The Council's not much impressed by wanderers comitting goblin genocide, but a ranked member of the Sandpoint Watch... Hrm. That could open certain doors. And certain ears, if you gets my drift."

"A heel I'll have, no more, and you'll have my thanks in return. Just enough to tide me through the afternoon paperwork for an audience with his Lordship-Mayor. But really. If you don't hear nothing by the first Oathday of Neth, just go home." The Captain picks up the crustiest slice on the platter, squints at it suspiciously, then shrugs and tears off a sizeable hunk with her teeth. She waves in Aunt Vera's direction, unheeding of the stray crumbs that fall from her energetic chewing. "Say, ma'am. By the by. Master Nivlandis. He's granted permission. Your nephew may study with him at the Seer. Draw on the minds of his most talented sibyls and students. He does not have a cure. To unmake your friend from a statue. But he is certain that with time- ... Well. Time is just what we don't have enough of, now."

Cramming the rest of the bread slice into her mouth, Captain Uriana manages to wedge most of it into a sizeable bulge in one cheek before determinedly palming her helm back atop her tousled hair. "Ve shafe. If hanythin', I'll shend shommon down."

Day 46: Neth 7, 4707

The wait is long. Almost longer than you can bear. Marching up to the Pediment or Usher's Hall to ambush the city's most powerful men and women presents itself as an increasingly attractive option, were it not for the word that Aunt Vera brings home each day of the unhappiness brewing in the streets. It would seem that with the exposure of Variel Ironbriar's deeds, a good portion of the city has deigned to swoop down daily on the Capital District to protest and proclaim the Justice's misdeeds. Indeed, loudly demanding the pardon and release of all living prisoners convicted under his watch, as well as the repeal of every law the crooked elf had ever passed into Magnimarian law, seems to have become the latest pastime of truth-seekers and idlers alike.

"While the rest of the city," mutters Aunt Vera darkly as she spoons a dainty spoonful of sugar into her tea, gazing into her cup as the crystals dissolve in faint swirls. "They clamour for the Hellknights to begone back to Korvosa. I hear that the Paralictor is having none of it though, and neither are the Council members who employ the Hellknights as hired security. Madness, this is. Could you imagine what the city would do if they knew the full truth - that the Justice Ironbriar was not just mastermind behind all those murders, but also secretly the leader of a twisted god's cult and the love-thrall of a savage monster? These are dark times for our city, nephew."

Dark times or not, the notice you have been waiting for finally comes in a most incongruous form. It is not the grudging Captain Uriana who delivers the missive, nor even a hulking Hellknight clad in clinking armour, but a plump page-boy dressed in a crumpled sapphire-and-cream suit, the sleeves slashed with gold trimming. Tugging nervously at the waistband of breeches that are much too tight for his swag belly, he looks around at your grim faces and swallows loudly. Clearly, the boy has precious little experience in addressing a group as unimpressed to see him as yours.

"Well. Um. Y-you're invited. Lords-ship-M-mayor Gro-b-baras. To dine w-w-withim and di-d-discuss terms. Ab-bout T-turtleb-back Ferry. O-on the morrow. H-here." Forgetting all protocol, the page thrusts a sheet of folded paper sealed with blue wax into Red's face before bolting out the door as fast as he can waddle.

Blinking owlishly in mingled surprise and confusion, Red watches the boy trundle down the road, then down at the envelope in her hands. Turning it over, she traces the ridges of the seal with the tip of her fingers before holding the paper out to the rest of you, the faintest glimmers of relief in her eyes.

"We... are going. Yes?"

THE END OF 'THE SKINSAW MURDERS'

TO BE CONTINUED IN 'THE HOOK MOUNTAIN MASSACRE'...
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death