Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 307
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya

    "Right, so, miss Brin, about this spear... It's old; and I mean, Thassalonian old. It is, of course, enchanted; there's mostly standard enchantments, to keep it sharp, to guide it to its aim... honestly, I doubt I ever saw an enchanted weapon without those spells woven in. But this one... it has one more enchantment, more sinister; when piercing the enemy, it can emit a burst of... of concentrated despair that'll drown anyone nearby. Please... be careful not to release this power accidentally."

    Few seconds after saying that, the sylph adds, "Do... do you think miss Setsuna could be under the effect of that enchantment? She was... not herself after this fight. At least... not as I knew her - of course, that was not long at all... you know her better; tell me, did she look... sound... wrong to you? If so... the effect would've likely worn off by now..."
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-03-18 at 04:43 PM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Red

    Red nods sagely to herself as Naya describes the powers of the longspear. Now that was a good magicked weapon, even if it was old. Perhaps Xanesha had other such magic things lying around. They would have to look and see.

    "I do not... think Setsuna... was under such a spell. But..." Her voice trails off, cheeks blushing a dusky scarlet under her tanned skin and the hair rising on her neck as the image that Xanesha had conjured up flashes tantalisingly through her mind. That one wasn't going away anytime soon, that was for sure. "X-xanesha. She... hurt Setsuna. In disguise. At Ma'am Verala's house... and here. Maybe... Setsuna... it was difficult. To kill... herself?"

    Red frowns. That didn't quite make sense. Or did it? Shaking her head, she sniffs and shivers slightly in her damp armour. The sooner this business was over and she was snug in front of a fire with a warm drink, the better. "Miss Brin. The ravens... can they... be talked with? Maybe they know. About Xanesha."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    Grinding her teeth now, Setsuna does her best not to shout back but it's obvious her voice is strained, "I have every right to care! Red is my friend! I may not have been there to help when you were children but you are both stronger now, there is no reason to keep acting this way!"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Finally convinced that the ravens have nothing to hide, Brin returns to the others.

    She shrugs at Naya's question. "We've seen a lot of...well, it's been a trying few weeks. For Setsuna even more-so than the rest of us, like Red said." Thinking back to the scene in the asylum, Brin wonders if Setsuna would still be a naive as she was then, suggesting they all go into hock in order to save a man in the final throes of ghoul fever. There was no doubt in Brin's mind that Setsuna had needed to build up some callous, but they way it was happening was all wrong. No one should be forced to endure that.

    Maybe she'd take Setsuna out drinking when this over. That always helped Brin forget things. For a while.

    When Red suggests speaking with the ravens, Brin almost dismisses it. But...no, actually, it wasn't a bad idea. Not at all. "I, um...I think it's just birds who are all bound up to a wizard that can talk on their own. There's a spell for speaking with normal ravens, I think, but I can't cast it. Would be a good idea to keep them caged up and find someone who can, though. They might know of other places than just the tower and the mill." She curls up one corner of her mouth--all the smile she can manage with the specter of another vertigo-inducing stair climb looming. "Good thinking."

    "Anyway, let me see that spear before we head down? No offense, Naya, but I don't think you've got the build for it, and I think I've had enough of fighting up close and personal with a bow, and there's not much space in here."
    Whether or not the spear ends up in her possession, Brin readies the rope again, takes a few deep, calming breaths--why does that never work?--and heads for the stairway down.

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    "Look like?" Rico asks, a brow rising and then answers along with two earflicks. "Skull-faced stone demon. Like the one over THERE, by them statues, lying in wait."

    She starts, suddenly realizing that she hadn't even said spoken. Her body seems to be moving on its own, and appropriately, for now, but strangely, her senses seem to be dulling, warping, changing, slipping...

    No more, the crumbled clocktower, clothed with ceaseless rain. Darkness envelops her, the only light a guttering torch, slowly running out. A cavern stretches out as far as the eyes can see, the battering, the stumbling of her footfalls eaten by the leagues and leagues of cold stone.

    Cold scales cushion a bleeding back. Flicking flames gout across a stone floor as ancient doors groan upon their hinges louder and louder with every battering blow from beyond. "It's not long now. Do you... want me to end it?" rumbles a surprisingly young voice. "No. Fool. Would that you could yet escape, though young fool. Stand. Stand unto the last. We die, but we take as many of them to Hell with us. Dearest... I'm coming home..."

    A wasteland groans around her, badlands skirling with devils of dust. She gasps with a cracked mouth, utterly parched. Still, she keeps on running, keeps on staggering.

    The waters boil as the demons emerge, a hideous horde. They cast their foul darts at her even as she charges in, weathering them upon her cloak, upon her hat, upon her shield, upon her armour, upon her flesh. And then she's amongst them, answering claws and fangs and deviltry's spellcraft with lance and axe and sword and choking the foe out when her weapons broke. She grits through the agony and fights on, grinning as the press of comrades behind her grinds into the hated throng.

    Villages, towns, cities sprawl and scream at her feet, the air rent with weeping. The sky chokes with the smoke of razing, the roads and rivers run black...

    Dust swirls at her bleeding feet. Manacles clink at her wrists. A howling crowd bays for blood. Gates clank open. Bared iron glints in the shadows. A weapon in her hands, its shaft a familiar weight. She bellows and charges...


    ...then Rico wobbles suddenly, snorting great gasps as she leans heavily against the nearest wall. She grits her teeth, clutching at her head once again. "Hwat. The. Utter. Fawk. Was. That. Sheht."

    She squares her shoulders, glaring at every shadow, lowering her spear, looking for something, anything worthy of stabbing. What deviltry is this?!

    Panting even as the visions recede, not even having the decency to leave a headache, Rico then grates out, "Hffff. Hffffff... Gargoyle. Was. THERE. 'Mong them statues, shadow of the big statue of... er, Sorala-somebody, a hero or god o' summin' or other. THERE, that demon-skull-thing.. Hhhhffff. And... I... think... I been taking some mindfrakkings or other. It's arright now, dunwurreh... and... I... Nay-aa... right... thanks... dun think it's the spear's doing... summin' ELSE... Don't! Worry! Okay? Flush that frakken' garg outtan put it down fer good."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya, Brin, Rico, Red

    Perception DC 18

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping back outside of the tower to descend yet another dubious scaffold staircase is no easy feat, especially given how high off the ground you are. Fortunately for you, just before you step back outside, your ears prick up at the dull indistinct beat of something heavy moving through the air above the Shadow Clock - the faint creak of stone under pressure. It would seem that the "frakken garg" is on the move and is likely readying itself to attack once you leave the safety of the room.


    *****

    Setsuna and Chanda

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception 7 + 5 = 12
    Diplomacy 16 + 11 = 27


    As soon as the words leave Setsuna's mouth, Chanda freezes where she stands, simply staring over with balled fists, her thrust out lip and bared teeth making no secret of the seething resentment and tension coursing through her small frame.

    For a few good seconds, it seems as though the thief might have actually reached for her bow to send an arrow flying towards the tiefling's head. Fortunately, a more level head seems to prevail for now. "Sting's thighs. Yer a right piece of work, ain't yer? Think yer can waltz in and tidy up everyone's lives." Working her jaw, Chanda spits wearily over the railings before swiping at her mouth with the back of her glove. "Me 'n Sera, that's family business. We settle that. Yer don't get no say, friend or no. She wouldn't want yer to butt in neither. Does she knows yer playing angel-face down here with me?"

    Chanda pinches the bridge of her nose and sighs aloud. "Ugh. Only one type of folks what think and say what you saying. So what is it that yer didn't get t'fix in yer own life that makes yer wanna turn saint for other peeps and fix theirs? Hm?"
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception 20, rolled in OOC

    Naya notices - not even a sound per se, but rather a movement of wind around the tower; it takes her but a moment to call out, "Everyone, back inside!" to her companions. "Seems the beast's still around", she adds quickly as an explanation.
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-03-22 at 11:45 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    Maybe it was because she'd been angry for the better part of the last half hour and she was simply starting to burn out, or maybe something in her somewhat heated discussion with Chanda caused her anger to implode on itself when the questioning was turned toward her, but whatever the case was, the tiefling only sighs wearily when the elder Allin asks her question. She takes a moment before she answers, however, going back to what she'd said before first. "Angel-face?" Shaking her head, she figures out what it probably means. "She knows...she knows me well enough to know that I would try anyway, even if she told me not to, because I can tell that you are stubborn enough that it does not matter what she does, you will not change until someone talks sense into you."

    And then she sighs again and looks over the railing, wondering how far down it is while her mind flashes back to how she came to this point, walking up these stairs with someone as spiteful as Chanda and somehow feeling compelled to explain herself. When she speaks up, her voice sounds almost hollow, as if she's too tired to feel anything other than a desire to go to bed at this point. Going from barely constrained rage to an emotional argument on her friend's behalf and then forced to remember the more painful chapters of her own life is too much for her to handle in the span of a few minutes, it seems. "I had loving parents...I was luckier than the two of you in that regard...but when my mother was in danger, I panicked, and I sold my soul to a devil to save her. I succeeded, but when I returned home, the fiend had killed my father and destroyed our home," she explains simply.

    That was easier to say than it was last time...Even as she thinks that, though, she still has to bring a hand up to wipe the tears that are starting to well up in her eyes. "We should keep going. It has been a long day already. I just want to finish here and sleep."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    A hair before Naya's warning, Rico is already crouching for stability while creeping as close to the wall as she could.

    Teeth grit as she snorts, then tilts her head to listen to the wingbeats beyond. "Bugger's circling. Waiting fer us. HRMPH. We ceded the damn 'nitiative 'ere. First bugger ta poke 'er head out there's gunna be in fer a stone fist supper an' a long fall fer dessert."

    She shakes her head, then narrows her gaze and then nods at Naya. "Say, Naya, do ya got 'nythin' that can give us a boost? Enough lift ta match that bugger in the air, or close 'nuff?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Brin

    NOT IT Brin wants to shout at the Constable's suggestion, but holds back. At least with her tongue. The green caste to her face might reveal the truth to those paying attention.


    "Uh, yeah, that's a good plan, Rico. Someone should go up and engage it while I try to knock it out of the sky from over here. It's got to be hurting pretty bad already." Brin plants her feet firmly and renews the light spell on her bow--though it still had an hour or more before it would fade. Better safe than sorry.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya

    "Maybe... enough to lift one", Naya replies, "After that, though... not much I'll have left in terms of blasting... then again, this thing didn't run away just because it was bored, did it? It's probably pretty beat already. Here..."
    She takes a deep breath and reaches for Rico's hand, chanting a spell, pushing as much magic into the half-orc constable as she can.
    "And, get ready, everyone - we only need to descend one level, with luck..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    casting Fly on Rico, 3rd level slots left: 0
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-03-25 at 07:35 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Rico,
    Flight ((koff... Jamieth, how long should that Fly last?))
    Rage 06/10, I/III
    HP 55/56 (+04/04)
    AC 20/22


    "Oh, hey, wh---"
    Rico begins as Naya reaches for her, then her eyes widen as she fights a growing panic when her body seems to grow lighter and lighter.

    "Faaaaaaak ddeeeeeeeeeeessssss..." she hisses, then crouches down. Hard.

    "Thanksforthe... wait. HOW? Do? I? Work? This? Thing? AND HOW LONG DUZZITLAST?!"
    she asks of the sorceress while trying to flatten herself further, like a rat trying desperately to cling to a deck during a raging storm. Swim if need... Hold fast, dagnabbit! Oh, wait, I ---need--- to GET there, don't I?

    With that realization, the sensation of floating, of flying, gets stronger and stronger as near three hundred pounds of flesh and steel are suddenly carried off on a gust of storm wind, barely leaving her enough time to swiftly cut her end of their rope, lest she drag those tied to her off into the abyss.

    SHET SHET SHET SHET Oh, oh, OHhhhhHHH, whhhhoaaaaahhhhh!

    "Sorry 'boutthat an' thanks fer keepin't warm!"

    A brief, barking laugh later, and, seizing Xanesha's spear from Brin's hands as she passes by, Rico spirals upwards, circling the tower, seeking her prey.

    With a flash of steel, she sets upon it as soon as she sees it...
    "TIME TA BREAK YE."

    Spoiler
    Show


    Perception, to FIND the bigger in this weather and all this buggery.
    (1d20+15)[35]

    Intimidation. Welp. Worth a shot. (Any incidental bonuses for brandishing its mistress' favoured weapon?)
    (1d20+6)[24]

    IF the party's in range, DO NOT use the Impaler.
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d10+11)[21]

    IF the party's NOT in range, (do NOT Rage yet)
    Use the remaining Standard Action to Stow the Shield and prepare the longspear.
    [Cancel]1d20+12[Cancel]
    [Cancel]1d8+15[Cancel]


    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya, Brin, Rico, Red


    Spoiler
    Show
    Party Initiative:
    Red: (1d20+5)[20]
    Rico: (1d20+1)[3]
    Brin: (1d20+9)[15]
    Naya: (1d20+5)[19]

    Enemies:
    G1: (1d20+1)[20]

    Rico's actions
    Intimidate - failed
    Party is in range

    Attack: (1d20+15)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8]


    Initiative Order:
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    3 - Rico


    But since Rico is initiating combat...


    Rico does not have far to go to seek her prey. Barely has she emerged from the shelter of the Shadow Clock when the remaining gargoyle immediately falls upon her in a fury of tearing claws and snapping jaws.

    While Rico's snorting battle-stained visage, her eyes glowing with wolfish rage and her skin still splattered with dark blood, might have easily frighted the usual scum of the gutter that she was used to dealing with, there is no such luck with the gargoyle. Long has it willingly bent its mossy knee to Xanesha's dire bidding. Even with Rico's bellow echoing off the murky underbelly of the Irespan above, loud enough to roust a terrified colony of shrieking bats from their roost, the gargoyle appears unmoved, its entire being bent upon a single purpose...

    The mighty blow that Rico smashes into its belly is to no avail. Unused to exchanging blows with another mid-air, Rico finds herself floundering for ground to thrust off against, which robs her strike of much of its usual power. Her clumsy flailing does, however, succeed in catching the gargoyle off-guard, as it lunges and chomps down on empty air instead of Rico's shoulder as she jerks out of the way.

    *****

    Red
    HP: 55/55
    AC: 21 +4 MA = 25


    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move on difficult terrain (i.e. the stairs) - go down to E3.


    "Rico! Be... careful..."

    Her voice drowned out by both the wind and her friend's howling threat at the gargoyle, Red clutches the edge of the hole in the wall as she shields her eyes from the rain. It was too bad Naya only had that one spell left. And her arrows... they were useless here. Dammit, she should have asked Chanda to spare her some. But that hadn't been an option just now. Asking your sister for things when you'd just fought with her a while ago wasn't how things worked.

    Only one thing she could do, then, short of throwing her kukris at the gargoyle (and knife-throwing had never been a talent of hers). Red turns to Brin, her face drawn but the set of her jaw grimly determined. "I will... check. Downstairs. Watch Rico... for me."

    There was no time to secure herself with the rope. Flattening herself against the hoary stone wall of the Shadow Clock, Red eases herself down the second set of rickety stairs as quickly as she dares, her fingertips grazing the craggy rock.

    *****

    New Event

    Fortunately for Red, it isn't far to the next room of the Shadow Clock. A few scant seconds (despite feeling to the poor rogue as if they were an eternity all on their own) and some careful footwork are sufficient to round the northwest corner of the tower and to bring her back inside. The sight within the tower, however, could have hardly been one that Red or any of you would have hoped to see.

    This darkened room (E3) must have once been intended as the belfry of the Shadow Clock, as the gleaming outline of the four immense bronze bells testifies. Dangling from the floor timbers by little more than rusting lengths of chains and thick ropes, the bells are coated with a thick green patina and take up most of the space in the room. Given the amount of missing gears and clockworks in the space above the bells, the bells don't seem likely to be functional. Nor is the room easy to navigate around, given that there are only the four great crossbeams from which the bells hang to balance on. Nevertheless, that certainly hasn't stopped what looks a lot like three faceless stalkers in the northeastern corner from swarming over the nearest bell, one of them busily sawing through a rope already worn down to its hempen core...

    The deafening peal of the bell as it gives way, ringing for the first time in years as it swings precariously from its crossbeam, resounds deep even in the chests of those of you who remain upstairs, shaking you to your core. Another peal, and the bell tears free from its perch with a tremendous crash that fills the belfry with a great cloud of splinters and dust...

    Falling Bell trap has been activated. Three more traps remaining. Three Faceless Stalkers have joined combat.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    21- FS3 (already moved)
    20 - Red
    20 - G1 (already moved)
    > 19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    15 - FS5 (already moved)
    11 - FS4)
    3 - Rico (already moved)


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Setsuna and Chanda

    Spoiler
    Show
    How many targets? (1d4)[3]

    Setsuna and Chanda are flat-footed due to distraction.

    Attack: (1d20+15)[16]
    Damage: (6d6)[18]


    "Gods. If even Sera can read yer like a book..." Chanda's astonishment takes on reverential tones even as she mouths the words under her breath, burying her face in her open palm and shaking her head. Even with her eyes obscured by goggles, it is not difficult to surmise that the thief clearly thinks that Setsuna is off her rocker - though it is perhaps just as well that Setsuna can't quite see what Chanda is doing with her back to her.

    Too preoccupied with muttering to herself, Chanda hears little of the emotionally-naked sharing that comes next. As such, the ringing of the bronze bell, drowing out Setsuna's last words, takes her utterly by surprise.

    Caught off-guard, Chanda's reaction is cat-like, instinctively crouching down as she shoots a glance upward, her face rigid with horror. "Sh- MOVE. Frakken move, wouldja-" Having begun climbing the stairs a good distance away from Setsuna, there is little that the thief can do to except to clamber upwards in futility, watching as the bell rebounds off the side of the tower above their heads. It smashes through the stairs right in front of Setsuna, practically skinning the tiefling's nose and passing so close that her hair flies back in the wake of its passing, before plunging flat into the ground floor of the Shadow Clock with a deafening clang that continues to echo crazily around the stairwell.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    28 - Setsuna
    22 - Chanda
    21- FS3
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    > 19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    15 - FS5 (already moved)
    11 - FS4 (already moved)
    3 - Rico (already moved)


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya

    Not wasting any time to watch Rico fighting the gargoyle, Naya follows Red; after all, they don't need to beat the beast... and the faster they sneak past, the faster Rico would be able to fall back.

    Of course, what she finds at the next floor down makes the idea of going quickly rather problematic... and for now, at least, she needs a short pause to consider further actions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move, since I can't reach the next floor otherwise.

    Also... I'm pretty sure everything actually important is on the floor we missed :-)
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Brin
    35/35 HP
    19 AC


    "No problem! Go!" Brin calls back at Red, almost adding 'but you've got that backwards.' Rico could take care of herself...and just about everyone else, when she set her prodigious will to the task. And set her battle-scarred table-top to the task, too. That helped quite a bit. Besides, whatever that rumble and racket had been, it sounded a hell of a lot more serious than what was going on on the air a few feet away. The whole tower had shook, after all.

    But there were matters to attend to, and no time for Brin to be thinking about the tower crumbling out from under her feet. "Lady, make that big bag of boulders regret he stopped running!" She shouts, hurling a noxious green beam of energy in the flying statue's direction.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ray of Sickening at the Gargoyle (not sure how far it is on the map...I hope 40' is enough range, but move Brin out onto the catwalk if that will make a difference)

    DC 14 Fort or be Sickened for 7 minutes

    Touch attack: (1d20+9)[18]
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2016-03-26 at 08:31 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    Narrowly avoiding the falling bell, more through luck than her own talents, Setsuna blinks before her eyes go wide in surprise and shock as the pealing nearly deafens her and the massive chunk of bronze destroys the staircase only inches in front of her. Looking up and seeing the other bells, she looks back to Chanda, "We need to go faster, hurry!"

    Not waiting for Chanda's response, the tiefling readies herself and leaps past the destroyed stair, hoping that the next part of it is still solid. Assuming she manages to avoid falling to a painful end, she waits there, holding out a hand to Chanda.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Acrobatics (1d20+15)[18]

    Aid another for Chanda? Auto success if I can, and then ruuun up the stairs!
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya moves to stairs just outside of E3.


    Detect Magic (if you choose to cast this)
    Spoiler
    Show
    With your eyes enhanced by the deeper Sight, the interior of the Shadow Clock's belfry suddenly glows with an eerie fuschia radiance that casts no shadows. There is magic at work here. But you would need to study it longer in order to figure out what exactly is afoot...


    Note: There is a flight of stairs in area E3. Naya can stand on the stairs and still have line of sight to the faceless stalkers. Timbers are negligible as cover.

    *****

    Brin

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spell hits G1
    Fort Save: (1d20+10)[19] - passed


    The energy beam catches the gargoyle right between the wing joints, charring the stone flesh and momentarily throwing the creature off balance. For a moment, Brin sees the gargoyle go rigid, shivering as it battles the growing wave of nausea that must surely be gathering within its rocky body, ready to bowl it over as it crashes- but no. With a brutish jerk of its short neck, the gargoyle recovers, its wings pumping furiously as it renews its assault on Rico.

    Even from where she is, dubiously safe under the rotting eaves of the tower, Brin can sense the strength of the gargoyle's will - bright as a steel sword and just as keen. To be sure, the thing has no blood in its veins, nor quivering muscles to flex. All the same, that doesn't stop it from hurling itself at Rico with the inexorable force of a boulder plummeting downhill, unheeding of the still-smoking spot on its back.

    *****

    Setsuna and Chanda

    Spoiler
    Show
    Chanda's Acrobatics Check: (1d20+8)[22] - passed
    Move action and another move to retrieve the grappling hook arrow


    "Hurry up- Then move yer damn ass outta the way!" barks Chanda, her voice more scathing than usual as she takes the steps two at a time before leaping easily across the yawning gap in the stairs.

    Landing lightly on both feet, she doesn't bother to apologise as she elbows past Setsuna in an apparent temper, striding onward despite the ominous creaking of the stairs as it shudders from the impact. Unslinging her bow, Chanda scrabbles about in her quiver, muttering something Varisian in a vicious undertone as she plucks out an arrow with the oddest of heads - five sleek barbed prongs, curved like talons. She shoots a glance at Setsuna, rapidly sizing up with tiefling with a calculating eye.

    "Stairs ahead, they're broken. Can yer climb?"

    *****

    FS3

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full round action to cut 1st bunch of rigged rope of 2 bunches holding up SE bell.


    The faceless stalkers chitter and hiss in alarm as they spy Red and Naya through the door. Cornered on the timber crossbeams with nowhere to run to, the faceless stalker that is furthest away clamps its rubbery legs firmly around its perch and begins sawing away at several of the frayed ropes that hold up the nearest bell with gusto.

    *****

    Red
    HP: 55/55
    AC: 21 +4 MA = 25


    Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device: (1d20+19)[28] - passed, but Red doesn't know this yet.
    Time needed to complete DD: (2d4)[7] rounds

    Acrobatics to move along beam: (1d20+7)[20] - passed


    The big bell. It'd fallen. The faceless things. They'd cut the ropes. So the bell, it'd have fallen down the inside of the tower.

    To where Chanda was. Where Setsuna was.

    No. Choking back a gasp, Red's first instinct is to try and peer through over the staircase railing to see if the big bell had hit anyone, but with those things just above her head, that was plain foolishness. There were enemies here. They'd need to be defeated first. She'd just have to trust-

    The bells. Three more. If those fell down as well... Above the faint ringing in her ears, Red senses Naya's arrival behind her and makes her decision, jerking her head in the direction of the faceless things.

    "M-miss Naya. Those things. Don't let them cut..." Without waiting to explain any further to the sylph, she vaults adroitly onto the foot-wide timber and steps as fast as she dares to the bell closest to her, before dropping to her knees. The bit where the timbers went over each other was a thick, knotted mess of rope and chains, but even she could see that one only had to use a knife here and over there for the whole thing to fall.

    She didn't know if she could wrestle with one of those creatures, knock its sword out of its hand. Or perhaps push it over. Or maybe she'd get pushed over herself, and then she'd fall. But this bell - it was a trap. She knew about those. Chanda had taught her.

    Taking a deep breath and trying to ignore the sudden lurch of her heart as it knocked wildly against the cage of her ribs, Red snatches up one of the loose ends of rope and gets to work.

    Red is flat-footed for the duration of using Disable Device. 6 rounds left to go.

    *****

    G1

    Spoiler
    Show
    Fly check to hover: (1d20+18)[26] - passed (note, this is not considered a move action)

    Attack: (1d20+15)[32]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]
    Attack: (1d20+15)[28]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]
    Attack: (1d20+15)[33]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]
    Attack: (1d20+15)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[12]
    If two or more attacks hit, rend damage: (1d6+6)[10]


    Apparently infuriated by Brin's attempt to bring it down, the gargoyle rips into Rico's torso with renewed vigour. Its ugly maw agape, the gargoyle's stone claws bash at her cuirass over and over again, denting the sturdy armour and leaving powdery white trails where its cruel talons score.

    Though unable to penetrate the dwavern-made plate, such is the gargoyle's force that it nevertheless manages to severely batter Rico's body within its metal casement, bruising tender flesh and cracking bones. A lucky backhand swipe moreover slices open Rico's cheek, mashing skin and sinew down to the bone.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    28 - Setsuna
    22 - Chanda
    21- FS3
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    > 19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    15 - FS5
    11 - FS4
    3 - Rico


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya
    HP 24/24
    AC 16, FF 11, Touch 15


    "Got it, miss Red!" Naya calls out as she steps inside and raises her hand - but then, what exactly can she do about it? Against all three, and with what few magic she has left, and without harming Red? No, just zapping them doesn't appear to be an option. Then, an idea hits. She doesn't need to kill the monsters... only to unbalance them. The tower would do the rest. It's a cruel way, but... Naya doesn't see any alternatives. With a spell chanted, a sphere of wind appears between Red and the nearest stalker, and pushes into the rubbery figure.

    Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step to the right
    Standard: cast Gusting Sphere between Red and 5
    Move: order Sphere to bullrush 5. Maneuver check: (1d20+9)[10]; plus (1d6)[2] nonlethal regardless of success[/roll]
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Brin
    35/35 HP
    19 AC


    Seeing the noxious green jolt come to naught, Brin resolves something. After this fight, I'm having a long, awkward conversation with a certain deity. Maybe even stern.

    She huffs out a forlorn sigh and draws an arrow, hoping to land a shot in the gargoyle's eye. Apparently the rest of it actually was made of stone, or close enough that it didn't matter. She'd head downstairs to help the others, but, damnation, Red had asked her to watch over Rico...and Rico surely needed a hand. Whether Brin could provide one remained an open question.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid shot on the gargoyle

    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d8+1)[7]

    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d8+1)[9]

    in case of crit:

    (1d20+8)[11]
    (2d8+2)[13]

    Second crit:

    (1d20+8)[14]
    (2d8+2)[7]

    Edit:
    added in flubbed rolls from dice thread
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2016-04-01 at 09:43 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    Glancing ahead to the stairs...and then circling around trying to find the next solid place to stand, Setsuna looks briefly disheartened as she turns back to see Chanda holding the grapnel. "I...can, but I would rather do just about anything else. It seems there is no choice though."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya


    In a more open environment, the spell that Naya cast would have been invisible to the eye, leaving its target none the wiser before being bludgeoned savagely about. Here in the disused environs of the Shadow Clock, however, the spiraling sphere of wind acts as a siphon, pulling anything light enough to be whisked about into its fleet embrace. Within mere seconds, it is not an unseen ball of wind that assails the faceless stalker but a whirling, swirling mess of wood dust and cobwebs, with stray strands of rope hemp flailing madly about, as if some angry spirit of the belfry had risen to take shape and seek vengeance on those who would desecrate it.

    The shock of being shoved hard in the face by a large sphere of debris-filled air isn't quite enough to tip the faceless stalker over the edge of the beam though. Emitting a squeal of alarm from some orifice in its whorled face, the stalker's arms pinwheel wildly before it manages to regain its balance, immediately hunching over and wheezing in fearful panic.

    *****

    Brin

    It is testament to Brin's mastery with the bow that even when standing on a the edge of a stomach-churning precipice, with gusting winds and rain pelting down, her arrows still fly true. Zipping through the air, they strike the gargoyle right in the eye socket, the arrowheads actually chipping open the stony flesh and stubbornly wedging themselves in the crack.

    On a normal creature of sinew and bone, the shots would have been crippling, perhaps even fatal. On a gargoyle, the arrows are little more than a feathery accessory. They are an annoyance more than a hindrance, let alone a wound. Twisting its horned head around to get a better view of the archer that has dared to interrupt its attack, the gargoyle seems to snort and shudder, unable to decide whether to go after this new gadfly or to finish the wounded Rico off.

    *****

    FS5 and FS4

    Spoiler
    Show
    FS4: Full round action to cut 2nd bunch of rigged rope of 2 bunches holding up SE bell. SE bell will fall on FS4's next turn.

    FS5 attacks Red
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21], Damage: (1d8+4)[12] - hits


    For a few terse seconds, the faceless stalker that Naya had just tried to shove to its death seems to waver and withdraw within itself, trembling like a crinkled leaf on the broken beam that it was balanced on as the sylph's sphere of dusty air continues to tear and tug at its rubbery skin. Nevertheless, upon seeing that the only escape path that didn't involve plummeting to its end happens to be blocked by Red, the creature seems to summon what remains of its meagre courage. Renewing its grip on the notched longsword in its paw, it staggers forward with one hand raised to shield its head.

    The faceless stalker forces its way against the wind, inch by stubborn inch until finally, with a low grunt of effort, it finally bursts out of its windy prison. Buoyed by momentum, it practically hurls itself at Red as she crouches over the bell, dealing her a vicious stroke on the shoulders where the gargoyle had already torn through her armour.

    Meanwhile, on the other side of the belfry, the last of the faceless stalkers does not hesistate to take advantage of the distraction, hastily scuttling over to aid its other companion in sawing through the ropes holding up the bell in the southeast corner...

    *****

    Rico

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full round action - WITHDRAW


    Her mission had been simple - stall the gargoyle long enough to let the others get by. Sure, it would've been nice to stick her nice new spear down its craw, give it a quick end. But if all that chomping and clawing like a rabid firepelt was any indication, the stone bastard had plenty of fight still left in it, and if she stayed out here any longer, it was her that was gonna be taking the long fall. And it was a very long way down-

    "Hrrrgh. Gotta go. Lil' orc's wee room. Y'know. Be catchen yer 'round then. eh?"

    A sudden thrust of panic mingled with the certain knowledge that one should never show the enemy no weakness sets Rico's tongue babbling a torrent of nonsense. Backpedalling as best as she can on empty air as she waves the spear at the gargoyle, Rico bobs haphazardly backwards into the tower, nearly smacking into Brin as she retreats into the raven room. Glad to be back indoors where at least there were things to grab on to, the burly constable slaps her hand over the edge of the nearest door frame and pushes herself back into the clockwork debris room. "Best gettaways from there. Lest yon frakker come knocking," she manages to pant out, nodding urgently in Brin's direction.

    ****

    Setsuna and Chanda

    Spoiler
    Show
    Chanda fires grappling arrow, Area AC 5 vs Attack: (1d20+11)[26] - arrow catches on appropriate area
    Climb check: (1d20+11)[15] - passed


    "Well. Fly then. Do 'em magic. But I ain't waiting 'round for yer to grow no flappers." Chanda gives an unsympathetic snort as she nocks the odd-shaped arrow to her bow and sights upwards into the darkness.

    The arrow arcs unerringly upwards, the pale gossamer of the silk rope tied to its end curving gracefully in its wake. From somewhere up above, Setsuna can hear a brief skitter and then a muted thunk and creak as the modified arrow's barbed ends bites deep into aging wood.

    On her part, Chanda doesn't hesitate. Promptly allowing her bow to fall into the crook of her elbow, she gives the rope two sharp tugs to check that it is secured before hauling herself upwards with an easy, practiced motion.

    Setsuna can still take actions, but her initiative turn will move to after Chanda's if so. Climb DC 10 to ascend the rope (knotted, silk) at 1/4 speed, + 5 to DC to attempt ascending at half speed. There is approx 25 feet of rope to climb.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    > 28 - Setsuna
    22 - Chanda
    21- FS3
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    15 - FS5
    11 - FS4
    3 - Rico


    It is now Setsuna's turn... or FS3's turn, depending.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-04-10 at 12:59 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    The tiefling wasn't sure of her climbing ability, she simply lacked the upper arm strength to effectively haul her own weight and that wasn't easily off-set by simple precision of motion like swinging Maethilur was. But her friends were in danger, and her own self-doubt couldn't cost them, no matter what it cost her, and in any event, moving upward was better than waiting to be crushed by a falling bell. Sheathing Mae, knowing she'd need both arms for this, Setsuna grabs the rope and does her best to pull herself up as quickly as possible, gripping the rope with both her hands and tail to balance herself as she tries to simply walk up the wall.

    Not fast enough, I've got to go quicker! Speeding herself along by calling upon her sarashi's magic, she does her best to continue upward.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Even if I could take 10, that only moves me 5ft per action round due to rounding. I'd rather not be climbing for 3 rounds.

    So, standard action; Sheathe Mae
    Move action; Climb rope at 1/2 speed (1d20+3)[7] vs DC 15
    Swift action; Activate QRS
    Extra Move; Climb rope at 1/2 speed (1d20+3)[21] vs DC 15
    If I'm lucky and both succeed, I should be at the top
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Setsuna


    Strength of body is not Setsuna's forte and it shows. The wall of the Shadow Clock is much too far away to effectively brace against, leaving the tiefling to flop clumsily about on the end of the rope like a hooked trout. Trying to twine her tail about the rope meets with similarly poor success, as she ends up tugging the rope out of her own reach while her feet frantically pedal on empty air.

    "Quit jerkin'-Hook yer feet first. Then stand. Power's in yer gams, not yer arms." From somewhere above the tiefling's head, Chanda barks down unsolicited advice, the urgent note in her voice barely heard over the ominous groaning of rotting wood under stress.

    Whether because of Chanda's instructions or the grim certitude that it is a long way down should their combined weight cause the treads to snap, Setsuna finally manages to secure a firm grip on the rope, though her arms are already tense and quivering, exhaustion coursing through her bones like burning lead. It is only through sheer stubborn will and the magic of her sarashi that she is able to painfully inch her way upwards, gripping much too tightly on the silk rope.

    *****

    FS3

    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (1d20+3)[13] - passed
    Stand and move to northwest bell...


    Giving a sharp hoot of satisfaction as the last coils of frayed rope unspool and fall way, the furthest faceless stalker knuckles back to its feet. Apparently determined to waste no time, it immediately shuffles over to the bell in the northwest corner as hastily as it dares, crouching low with both arms extended for balance.

    *****

    Red
    HP: 43/55
    AC: 21 +4 MA = 25, but flat-footed so 21


    Spoiler
    Show
    CMB check for bull rush as standard action: (1d20+9)[24]
    Acrobatics check: (1d20+7)[13]

    FS5's AoO - Attack: (1d20+8)[27], Damage: (1d8+4)[6]
    Confirm Critical - Attack: (1d20+8)[22], Damage: (1d8+4)[9]


    Flinching and crying out as the faceless stalker's sword sinks into her shoulder and nicks the bone, Red drops the chains in her hands, letting them clatter against the timbers as she clenches her teeth together, one hand clapped over the wound as she tries to stop her eyes from reflexively welling over with tears. Gods dammit. Not here. Not now. She had to fix that bell, Setsuna was down there, Chanda was-

    "YAAAARRRHHH!!"

    At the thought of her sister, something snaps in Red's mind, a scarlet flecked haze descending over her vision while white hot fury bubbles up from deep within, spilling over. Screaming in incoherent anger, she lashes out at the stalker's legs with bloodstained fists, hammering down on the knee joint and shoving as hard as she can. Caught by surprise, the stalker staggers, then trips. As it tumbles off the timbers, its flailing sword catches Red by chance on the jaw, the rusty blade slicing deep into her neck before following its hapless owner in a perilous free-fall down the centre of the Shadow Clock...

    FS5 is now dead. Falling body may or may not hit Chanda and Setsuna in one round's time.

    *****

    G1

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+15)[26], Damage: (1d8+6)[9]
    Brin's Fort Save: (1d20+7)[26] - passed


    Loathe to relinquish the fight, the gargoyle banks mid-air and swiftly turns to pursue Rico back into the tower. With the half-orc out of the reach of all four of its lanky arms though, the creature is left with only Brin to vent its rage on. Lunging into the hole in the wall as best it can, the gargoyle forces its massive head and one craggy shoulder through, snapping crazily at the elf's neck and shoulders as she tries but fails to dodge in time.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    22 - Chanda
    28 - Setsuna
    21- FS3
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    > 19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    15 - FS5
    11 - FS4
    3 - Rico


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-04-14 at 11:29 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya
    HP 24/24
    AC16, FF 11, touch 15


    Naya lets out a yell of a mix of joy and horror as first the stalker's blade pierces Red - and the next moment, the rogue deals away with the creature - surely, even with their rubbery bodies, fall from that height would kill it.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Fun fact: assuming these are standart, unmodifyied faceless stalkers, it actually has a 1.09% chance of surviving the fall, taking DC into account

    "Keep it that way, miss Red! Wait, no, not this way, don't let them hit you again! It's my turn!"
    And by that, she means her turn to drive the stalker down, of course, not to get hit. The sphere, turning back, rolls over the catwalks and towards the stalker busily working on the southwestern bell...

    ...and Naya's next shout is purely one of joy as the second rubbery creature plunges down. "One left! We can handle it, miss Red!"

    To prove her words, she launches a couple of lightning bolts at the remaining stalker, the adrenaline rush helping her squeeze out what few magic she has left.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Bolt at FS4:
    (1d20+8)[11]
    (4d6)[15]
    (1d20+8)[23]
    (4d6)[15]
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Brin
    35/26 HP
    19 AC


    "Oh...oh no..damn it!"
    Brin stumbles back from the opening as Rico barrels through, followed far too closely by the the gargoyle. It tears into the freshly healed wounds on her neck, re-soaking her armor in blood. "You're supposed to stop and skewer it, not hide behind me." Brin shrieks as she does her best to return the favor, risking another swipe from the enraged monster to get behind Rico and use the big constable for cover as she casts a healing spell.

    "Hmmph. Pharasma, keep her on her feet long enough to the finish the job. Please!" Not the most inspired prayer, but the familiar tingle of positive energy answers the call, and Brin slaps Rico on the back to deliver it to its destination.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to reach the square directly south of Rico, eating an AoO in the process. Standard to cast Cure Serious Wounds (burning one of my Dispel Magic castings to power it)

    (3d8+8)[20]

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Setsuna

    Nodding to herself, she tries not to look down and follows Chanda's advice, climbing as best she can.

    When she finally pulls herself up and back onto solid, if rickety, ground, she only takes a moment to steady her breath before rushing further up the stairs.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Not much to post here.

    Move action; Climb rope at 1/2 speed (1d20+3)[22] vs DC 15

    If I succeed I should be up the rope and able to advance up the stairs. If not, well....(1d20+3)[6] vs DC 15

    Oh good, I made it. Up the stairs.
    Last edited by Desril; 2016-04-14 at 10:01 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya


    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+4)[6] - failed


    With Red's toppling of the nearest faceless stalker, the mood in the belfry abruptly changes. The terrified high-pitched gibbering of the wrinkled aberration as it falls to its doom echoes fleeringly in the cramped space, amplified and ringing off the bronze bells. At the sound, its remaining companions startle and reflexively cower with their paws over their heads, hooting in sharp distress.

    The few seconds of distraction is all that is needed for Naya's summoned ball of wind to do its work. The rotating sphere rams the stalker in the southwest corner squarely in the head, causing the creature to swoon. Its cries are abruptly cut short as its body goes limp, offering not even a token resistance as the gusting sphere unceremoniously shoves it head-over-heels off the edge of its timber.

    As for the last of the faceless stalkers, alerted to its peril by Naya's triumphant whoop, it has some luck in dodging the sylph's first salvo but not the second. The bolt of electricity strikes it on the shoulder, leaving a sizzling and sparking gash blackened at the edges. Rubbery as the elastic hide of the faceless stalkers might appear, as it turns out, it conducts electricity just as well as regular flesh.

    FS3 is falling. Its body may or may not hit Chanda and Setsuna in one round's time.

    *****

    Brin

    Spoiler
    Show
    G1's AoO - Attack: (1d20+15)[23], Damage: (1d4+6)[8]


    In turning her back to the snapping stone beast trying to force its way through the crack in the wall, Brin leaves herself open to further injury. As the gargoyle slashes madly about in a frenzy, a chance whip of its horned head manages to catch her down the back, bruising and breaking open flesh right through her armour. Still, that doesn't stop the intrepid elf from scrambling over to Rico to deliver some healing magic, the sheer vehemence with which she slaps the constable's back carrying with it the unspoken suggestion that Rico had jolly well better get her butt back out there to do something about the gargoyle trying to get in...

    Brin casts CSW on Rico.

    *****

    FS4

    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (1d20+3)[6] - failed


    The last of faceless stalkers looks distinctly worse for the wear, with a gaping wound in its shoulder welling up blackish-green ichor and the nauseating stench of scorched flesh in the air. Still, that doesn't stop it from hacking weakly at the last rope holding up the southeast bell. As the remaining frayed strands of hemp give way, the great bronze bell rings for the first time in decades, the belfry once more resounding with a terrible bellowing echo as it swings freely back and forth, cracking and splintering its crossbeam timbers.

    Its job done, the stalker hurriedly fumbles back to its feet in a belated attempt to leap to the safety of the southwest bell's crossbeam. With the very wood under its paws snapping and swaying though, this is a futile endeavour at best. Even as the stalker gathers itself for the jump, the bell finally tears itself loose, bringing down the entire support structure in the southeast corner and the stalker with it, the creature's hooting wail trailing in its wake as it falls.

    FS4 is falling. Its body AND the bell may or may not hit Chanda and Setsuna in one round's time.

    ******

    Rico (GM-bot)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I'm crunching the damage modifier right, but either way, the attack doesn't hit
    (1d20+12)[18]
    (1d8+11)[14]


    "Eheh, sorreh 'bout that. Bugger got me good back there. An' thankee." Rico rumbles her thanks, scowling in shame-faced gratitude even as she hefts the longspear once more. Righto then. Time to see what was so great about this poker stick that made it worth toting around by Xanesh-the-recently-pulverised.

    "YA-HOI!" Stomping back into combat, Rico barrels around the corner and thursts the longspear at the gargoyle's snout, hoping to miam the creature for good. Alas, between the shrieking caws of the frightened ravens as they flap around their cage and the fact that one should never run with a long and pointy stick in hand, her aim goes awry, merely glancing off the gargoyle's stony hide.

    *****

    Chanda and Setsuna

    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check: (1d20+11)[19] - passed
    Chanda does full round action move - climb at half speed and run up stairs


    "Frakking idiot, bring us both down..."

    With the stairwell dimly echoing and re-echoing with shouts from above where the rest are surely fighting, not to mention the dangerous creaking of the stairs as the rope sways to and fro, Chanda doesn't bother wasting any more breath by insulting Setsuna aloud. Instead, the thief focuses her mind on the task at hand, shimmying up the rope as fast as she can go. Once at the top, she grasps the half-rotted railings and hauls herself adroitly over the edge, barely pausing to dust off her breeches before racing up the stairs as fast as she can go, leaving Setsuna alone to struggle from a perilous drop as she swings her trembling legs up and over.

    *****

    Red
    HP: 28/55
    AC: 21 +4 MA = 25


    Spoiler
    Show
    Double Move action to get off the timbers and climb the stairs


    For a moment, Red fails to take in the enormity of what she'd done, Naya's whoops of encouragement a mere buzz in her ears as her thin chest heaves for air, her heartbeat pounding in her ears and behind the red haze of her eyes. The pain comes flooding back soon enough though, piercing through her mind fog and forcing her attention back to the present.

    All gone then. Setsuna and Chanda would be safe. But Rico...

    Narrowing her eyes, Red limps back towards the mess of planking that lead back upstairs as fast as she can manage, wobbling at the last instant and staggering into the wall. "We... we got to... get back, see if Rico..." she mumbles thickly to Naya, gritting her teeth in a bid to help her focus through the giddiness, damn all this bleeding.

    Red drifts back to the gap in the wall and begins ascending the planks once more, one hand trailing the side of the tower, her mind on growing ache in her neck rather than on the dizzying drop to the ground. As such, upon rounding the corner and seeing the gargoyle with its head jammed into the room with the messenger birds, Red is too startled to do anything more than shout ineffectively at it.

    "H-hey!"

    *****

    G1

    Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step
    Attack: (1d20+15)[30], Damage: (1d6+6)[8]
    Attack: (1d20+15)[20], Damage: (1d8+6)[13]

    Fort Save: (1d20+9)[12] - failed
    Blind for (1d10)[3]


    Whether because it is too enraged by the sight of its former mistress's weapon in Rico's hands or because it is too intent on the hunt, the gargoyle ignores Red for now. Lunging and straining, it manages to wedge itself further into the hole, gaining just enough distance to claw down Rico's thick hauberk and slash at her knees with its fangs, causing her vision to swim and fade to black...

    Rico has been blinded for 3 rounds.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    22 - Chanda
    28 - Setsuna
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    > 19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    11 - FS4
    3 - Rico


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-04-24 at 03:18 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Naya
    HP 24/24
    AC 16, Touch 15, FF 11


    As she gets ready the sphere against the last remaining stalker pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of this tactics, one thing bothers Naya, "Miss Rico, where's miss Brin?! The plan was for you to distract the gargoyle so we all could slip past, right?!"

    Except this plan was over now. Unless they were all together, she couldn't bring everyone down now... and geting back together would mean facing the gargoyle again. And she was even more out of magic then she was half a minute ago. And... well, it seemed the main bet now was on miss Setsuna's sword. Which meant miss Setsuna had to get here in the first place...

    For one piece of good news, it doesn't even take a sphere to bring the last stalker sown - though the fact that it takes the second bell with it makes it... much less of a good news.

    ...anyway, nothing to do but try; not like Naya can leave Rico and Red to fight the monster on their own anyway. Dissipating the sphere, the sylph hurries after the rogue, getting ready to do what she herself considers extremely foolish... that is, engage the beast in melee combat. Unfortunately, that's the only kind of combat she is capable of currently. Except... No, too dangerous. But... I can at least ask...

    "Miss Red, if the beast turns to us... please duck. Quickly, and without asking. OK?"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Trip vs. last stalker, (1d20+9)[13] Disregard, obsoleted by GM post.

    Move action, stop right behind Red

    Free action, ask Red whether she's fine with playing along.

    If so, standard to ready Schocking hands for if gargoyle attacks Red. 17 damage (see OOC), DC 17 for half (no damage on Red on successful save)
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-04-23 at 03:06 PM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    Brin
    18/35 HP
    19 AC


    You know it's getting bad when the kind of wound the gargoyle just inflicted on Brin's back can be written of and ignored as the least of the elf's numerous problems. It was unlikely to kill her any time soon, and at this point she could hardly hurt any more--a thought begging for an ironic comeuppance.

    Perhaps searching for just such a comeuppance, Brin decides to do something...reckless. "Keep her on her feet, Pharasma! Just a moment longer, please!" She bellows, then steps forward to slap Rico on the back and deliver another healing charge.

    "Give me the spear!" She barks at the constable. "My bow is worthless here, and its closed enough for your sabres! We'll cut it down together!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: Cast Cure Serious Wounds and hold the charge, then 5' step up and left and deliver it to Rico
    (3d8+8)[20] healing

    Move action: retrieve the spear if offered
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2016-04-23 at 05:31 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC II

    GM post

    Naya

    Red cranes her head around, her wide-eyed worry palpable despite her apparent grogginess. Nevertheless, the rogue is in no mental state to protest the sylph's plan, indicating her consent with a brief nod before hunkering down, getting ready to dodge at the first sign of trouble.

    Naya readies Shocking Hands.

    *****

    FS3 falls... and misses.

    Spoiler
    Show
    FS3's falling body
    Falls toward someone? (1d3)[1] - yes
    If so, hit? Attack: (1d20+8)[24], Damage: (2d4)[7]


    Down below, Setsuna has hardly clambered back onto the stairs when she spots something pale and rubbery plummeting from above with frightening speed. The tiefling barely has enough time to scramble away, her back flush against the wall when the something smashes right through the railing that she had just scaled, sending shards of wood flying and showering Setsuna in a cloud of dusty splinters while Chanda's silk rope, still tethered to an arm-thick plank, flutters forlornly downwards into the darkness, grappling iron and all.

    *****

    Brin

    Brin casts CSW on Rico.

    GM-bot: Rico hands the spear over to Brin.


    Even with a rejuvenating blast of healing energy, Rico's eyesight remains dimmed. Now is most definitely not the time to be waving about an unfamiliar Thassilonian-era weapon that was just as likely to poke out Brin's eye as the gargoyle's.

    As such, Brin is able to confiscate the spear with nary a grunt from the blinded constable. In the clutch of her bow-hardened hands, the spear feels unfamiliar; it is far too stiff, too weighted at the ends. But the weapon is beautifully balanced - her archer's instinct tells her that much - and its barbed point gleams like black ice in the gloom of the ruined rookery room. A well-aimed strike with this would indubitably pierce even the gargoyle's craggy hide, but that was provided she actually managed to hit the monstrosity currently doing its best to claw its way into the tower through sheer brute force...

    *****

    FS4 and the bell fall... and miss.

    Spoiler
    Show
    FS4's falling body
    Falls toward someone? (1d2)[2] - yes
    If so, hit? Attack: (1d20+8)[10], Damage: (2d4)[5]

    THE BELL
    Falls towards someone? (1d2)[1] - yes
    If so, hit? Attack: (1d20+15)[16], Damage: (6d6)[16]


    "The f- ...Sweet Calistria's thighs. What on e- LOOK OUT!"

    Still staring over the railing at her now-defunct arrow and rope, the bell takes Chanda by surprise, causing her to clumsily scramble back before freezing cat-like, her head ducked low and her body clenched tight like a fist. The bell narrowly misses the thief, smashing through the stairs just below her curled body, the air filled with the terrible din of its deafening hollow gong.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    22 - Chanda
    28 - Setsuna
    20 - Red
    20 - G1
    19 - Naya
    17 - Brin
    > 3 - Rico


    It is now Rico's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •