New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Star Wars Saga Edition

Ok, I've ordered the book and it arrived yesterday ! I didn't expect it to be here so fast in Germany. Anyone else ? Opinions ?

I never played the old D20 Star Wars RPG before, only a few sessions of the old Westend Games RPG. I also never played D20 Modern or Future so I'm quite confused about all the unknown stuff. But it seems to be a good system, easier and more streamlined (compared to D&D).

The square format is ... cuddly. The layout is a bit confusing but still ok, the artwork is good. There is an index, but it isn't very extensive.

Plenty of races, only 5 base classes but they are very customizable with oodles of feats and different talent trees. There are a dozen prestige classes.

The vehicle section is definitely too small, although it of course covers material from all the movies and the time of the Yuuzhan Vong wars (I didn't read those books so far). There are no A-Wings, B-Wings or TIE Bombers, and the only two capital ships are the Correlian Corvette and the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer. So I expect that they'll release a splatbook with additional vehicles and equipment.

The Galactic Gazeteer is only basic, bare bones information. So there there I also expect a splatbook with more information.

----------

Specific question, since I try to get into the system by making a 4th level Twi'lek Jedi:

The Jedi base class gets the lowest base class skills (2+Int). They are also the only class with Use the Force as a class skill. However, every Jedi will take the Force Sensitivity feat to be able to use the Use the Force skill. And with that they'll get Use the Force as a class skill anyway.

So a Jedi doesn't have to take Use the Force as one of his base skills but can rather take it with the Force sensitivity feat and so virtually bumps up his skills to 3+Int. Is this right ?
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-06-07 at 12:00 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Star Wars Saga Edition

I will start off by saying I love starwars D20. I have DMed for over a year with 5 players and we all loved it, there are so many things you can do and you can really get into your characters.

There is a vehicle splat book, but I dont have my books on me so I cant tell you the name. the only thing that it is 3.0 not 3.5.

You can easily change the square format. We use the square ince by ince table matt and we had no problems what so ever. There are many more reference books with more races in, or you can download the SRD which contains most of the other books.

And to answere your question. I thought a jedi got the Force sensitivity feat for free? But I might be wrong. But I defo knwo it does not increase the amount of skills you get. It just opens up the different types of force skills you can use, either dark side or light side. Hope that helps. But if im wrong then I am sorry (for any one who is going to prove me wrong)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll have a browse of the book when I'm in the comic shop picking up Flashpoint at the weekend.

Given there are "only" 5 classes, the game is built with the understanding that there will be a lot of multiclassing.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    I'll have a browse of the book when I'm in the comic shop picking up Flashpoint at the weekend.

Given there are "only" 5 classes, the game is built with the understanding that there will be a lot of multiclassing.
    I really didn't get that, if you've played D20 Modern at all, the talent tree system they've stated as a major component of the class system should be pretty familiar. However, it's what they're saying that it represents is where the real differentiation will come in. Yeah, you only have five classes, but you can play the same class multiple ways that while similar are also distinct and blendable. That'll actually add a lot more life to the system overall, and if they're doing it the same way that d20 modern did, there won't be nearly as many dead levels.

Personally, I'm just waiting for my copy to get here so I can see what's up for myself. Chances are slim I'll be able to play much right now, but I'd at least like to learn the system.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think by 'square format' he means the book, which is, oddly, square. Very squat.

I looked it over at my local gaming shop, with the intention of buying it - but the $40 price for such a small book made me halt in my tracks.

I'll pick it up if I get into a game, but for now, I'm giving it a pass.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've had it for two days now and we played a skimish last night. I made a Soldier and the DM/player made a Jedi. We loved it. The first and foremost problem we have is that it uses a different pattern then DnD (not that that's wrong, it's just not what we're used to). DnD uses a -2, -4 progression. Saga uses a -2,-5,-10 progression...takes a little getting used too. The multiple base attacks being gone is different. But they make up for it with escalating damage based on level and new feats such as double attack, triple attack, deadeye, and the duel weapon mastery tree. The weapons are extremely basic and combat is so streamlined, we honestly felt we were forgetting stuff in our little skirmish. For those who've played KotoR, you'll recognize some feats and stuff from there. One thing I like'd right off the bat was the different attack options. Once you get some feats under your belt, there's lot of different attacks one can do, and trust me, you get a metric ton of feats in this game. I don't mean, grapple or disarm or trip, I mean attacks with your weapon. The autofire and burst fire is extremely easier then SWd20. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the changes. The only thing we haven't touched yet is vehicle combat, although it looks easy as well. And now, a word on talents:

Talents are (IMO) the coolest thing I've ever seen. There pretty much class ablilities that you get to choose. In DnD one has 40 classes where two or three are slightly different due to class abilities (ex. ranger and scout), and you have to choose which one is right for you based on those abilities and fluff. Now, you pick a basic idea and choose the talents (class abilities) you want. Combine those with an @$$load of feats and you honestly have a lot of options.

So far, I'm not real impressed with the Force powers (although Jedi are still pretty cool). There aren't many force powers to choose from (though I'm sure a supplement will take care of that in no time) and you only get a few anyway. They're treated like maneuvers from ToB. You get them every encounter, expend during the fighting, and meditate to get them back afterward. The "force" talent trees are pretty cool though.

Character creations is extremely easy and fast. The new Fort/Ref/Will defense is a little odd, but we're getting used to it. The threshold thing is just annoying to keep up with, but it's pretty cool. The game really utilizes the swift action. There are craploads of things you can do with swift actions to improve you game. Aim, autofire, brace your gun, recover. All in all, so far, I give it a stong 8 out of 10.

I've got a pretty good understanding of the rules already (I've been reading it at the office, lunch breaks, and home for two days now) so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by The J Pizzel; 2007-06-06 at 10:00 AM.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    I think by 'square format' he means the book, which is, oddly, square. Very squat.
    Indeed, that's what I tried to express.

@ Jimbob: No, Jedi don't get the Force Sensitivity feat for free, which is odd since they get Use the Force as a class skill but can't use it without the feat.

@ jpbooth: What's your opinion to my question in the first post ?
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-06-07 at 12:01 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm confused how they are using force points in the game. You get 5 force points a level plus half your level. Now everyone gets force points and can use them(which I think is BS) and unless I read it wrong, every time you use the force it takes up a force point.

So that means at level ten a Jedi can only use the force ten times?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

9. - Top - End - #9

You get those 5+ force points at every level anew (the unused from your last level disappear). There are also a feat that gives you extra force points per level and some force talent that lets you regain one more force points.

Yes, everyone can use force points, and everyone with the Force Sensitivity feat can use the Use the Force skill. But only the true force classes (Jedi, Jedi Knight, Sith Apprentice, Force Adept, etc) can use the force for the cool Jedi stuff.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-06-06 at 01:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey dear, you do get Force Sensitivity for free. It's in the starting feats for Jedi. Page 39 right next to the woman in the pictures elbow under starting feats. So you still only get to be trained in 2+int modifier. Also, keep in mind a having a class skill, and being trained in a class skill is separate. "Use the Force" is a class skill yes, but you have to select it as a trained skill to get the +5 bonus and to be able to use certain benefits of the skill. Taking the feat "Force Sensitivity" make the "'Use the Force" skill a class skill for other characters, the ones who don't start with it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more quesions.

jp
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    The autofire and burst fire is extremely easier then SWd20. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the changes. The only thing we haven't touched yet is vehicle combat, although it looks easy as well. And now, a word on talents:

Talents are (IMO) the coolest thing I've ever seen. There pretty much class ablilities that you get to choose. In DnD one has 40 classes where two or three are slightly different due to class abilities (ex. ranger and scout), and you have to choose which one is right for you based on those abilities and fluff. Now, you pick a basic idea and choose the talents (class abilities) you want.
    Those are both taken from d20 modern. Everyone hates the d20 modern autofire and burstfire rules but I honestly like them. Apart from how evasion makes you eventually immune to autofire.

I'm thinking of buying this. I might be getting a bit of money if I pass my exams so I could spend that.

I think force points are actually like action points and have nothing to do with force powers. I'm just guessing from the fact that Urban Arcana's action point system was apparently adapted from d20 Starwars and you get them at level up.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2007-06-06 at 01:04 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #12

Uups, you're right, thanks. Where did I have my eyes ? Now everything makes sense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I think force points are actually like action points and have nothing to do with force powers. I'm just guessing from the fact that Urban Arcana's action point system was apparently adapted from d20 Starwars and you get them at level up.
    Yes, they are mostly like action points.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-06-06 at 01:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

On Force Points:

Everyone get FP to represent the idea of "fate" and "the force" working through even people who normally wouldn't know it. Using a force point for non-jedi is simply rolling a d6 and adding the result to a previous roll for extra help. Also, you can spend a FP to stop from dying. And yes, you get new FP's every level.

For jedi - not all force power require you to use a FP. However, most have an option that if you do spend a FP, you can get some extra cool stuff on your power. For example: force disarm allows you to use a "use the force" check instead of an attack roll to disarm someone. You can use a FP to destroy the weapon if you'd like.

@Amiria Actually anyone can use the force powers. All you have to do is take the "Force Sensitivity" feat. Then take the "Force Training" feat. That lets you learn 1+wis mod force powers. Bottom of page 95 under "Force Powers" for reference.

jp
    Last edited by The J Pizzel; 2007-06-06 at 01:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Force Points don't really offer much besides a 1d6 boost to your d20 checks for most people, but if you decide to specialize in Force-using prestige classes, they become a lot more useful, since they're required to activate most of their abilities.

What I like most about Saga is that it's very friendly towards Force users and multiclassing. Under the old set of rules, Force powers were considered skills, so Force-using classes had about 30-40 class skills depending on which rulebooks you had available, so you either had a character who was weak with a lot of Force powers, or a character who was strong with a very limited number of Force powers. Plus, most of the Force skills were only class skills for Force-using classes, so if you wanted to multiclass, you'd inevitably lag behind pure Force users (kinda like multiclassing a Wizard into a Fighter).

In Saga, the Force was condensed enough that you could create a character who is extremely powerful in the Force without sacrificing too much of your other skills, and multiclassing has no penalties to it. If you wanted to make a Jedi who used a quarterstaff exlusively, you could make a level 7 Soldier and then pick up the Jedi Knight Prestige Class and all it would cost you would be the Feat slots for Force Sensitive and Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber) (which your GM would probably drop) to meet the requirements. If you wanted to make a Jedi general, you could easily take a few levels of Noble and officer and pick up some abilities that would boost your troops.

In the unlikely event that you don't want to play a Jedi, the other four classes are much, much better than they were under the old rules. The Soldier and Scoundrel were pretty much direct ports of the Fighter and Rogue classes, the Scout was kind of a cross between the Ranger and the Barbarian and the Noble was only useful for its few minor buffs. Now, Soldiers are much, much more customizable depending on what kind of Soldier you want (armored Mandalorian shock trooper versus light Echani martial artists for example), Scoundrels have a more science fiction feel to them, Scouts are still similar to Rangers and Barbarians, but they're also the only class left that can cover primitive cultures like Ewoks and Sandpeople, so I can see where that comes from. The Noble still has a bunch of minor buffs available, but they also have talents that can set them apart, so you could use the class to make diplomats, military officers or heirs to a massive mercantile empire.

These rules are just so awesome.

EDIT: I did, in fact, mean Force Points in the first paragraph.
    Last edited by Pokemaster; 2007-06-06 at 02:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Couldn't have said it better my self. I love the new rules. We're playing again tonight. I'm gonna get so burnt out if I don't stop. hehe.

jp

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster View Post
    Force Powers don't really offer much besides a 1d6 boost to your d20 checks for most people, but if you decide to specialize in Force-using prestige classes, they become a lot more useful, since they're required to activate most of their abilities.
    Force Points, not Force Powers. Force Powers are the true Jedi-like stuff.

I'm not so sure if it is a good idea to give all heroes such easy access to force powers (just Force Sensitivity and Force Training feats necessary). It would be a weird campaign if there are no Jedi players but all the characters from the soldier to the noble can still force choke people and play jedi mind-tricks and communcicate telepathically across the galaxy.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, I thought it was kinda weird as well. I would think you'd have to have some levels in Jedi or something use force powers. Oh well. If I have a player playing a soldier or something and takes the Force Sensitivity and Force Training feats to get some force powers, I'll simply make him role-play that out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was kinda weird as well. I would think you'd have to have some levels in Jedi or something use force powers. Oh well. If I have a player playing a soldier or something and takes the Force Sensitivity and Force Training feats to get some force powers, I'll simply make him role-play that out.
    Don't see anything wrong with it, myself. The Force Traditions aren't the only way of using the Force, so why should you have to have Jedi levels to have powers? Might be a more efficient route, but this sounds much more flexible.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yeah, I mean the canon is full of people who for whatever reason are just finding out that they have potential to use the Force, right? The fact that most of them then go on to be Jedi is mostly about plot. What if Leia were so repulsed by the monstrous evil of Vader that she in no way would want to be a Jedi? She'd still have some potential to tap into the Force, just without all that useful training.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. If you're not planning on picking up Force-using prestige classes at some point, then you probably won't have enough resources to spend on the Force to make it worth it, and if you do plan on picking up one of the prestige classes, then you're basically just making a Force adept.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I haven't seen the book yet and I'm not entirely sure I'll be buying it. I kept trying to like the D20 Star Wars books but, for me anyways, they never really held a candle to the WEG D6 version. The older version always seemed more cinematic to me in that I didn't have to gear a character to do a particular thing from level one.

If I wanted to run across the room, up a table, jump through the air while firing my pistols I just had a higher target number; I didn't need to have acrobatic charge, leap attack and x ranks in jump and tumble.

Just personal taste I suppose.
    Please. I go through everyone's trash.-The Question from Justice League Unlimited

22. - Top - End - #22

I tried to get around the low skill points of the Jedi by starting with one level in another class - taking Force Sensitivity as a first-level feat - and then going into Jedi, taking lightsaber proficiency as the single multi-class feat. But it is a very double-edged sword.

You get more skills (3 or 4 with my favorite choice, the Scoundrel and the Scout), some ranged weapon proficiencies and one talent, but in most cases you lose BAB and hit points, you always lose one feat that you could have used for Force Training or something similar and you simply lag one level behind of a single-class Jedi.

I'd probably do it with a human Jedi character but with a non-human the lost feat really hurts. Especially since Force Training isn't on the Jedi Bonus Feat list, they must buy it with their level feats (1, 3, 6, etc).
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-06-07 at 12:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Meh, I'd say that with the Skill Groups sytem, Jedi aren't really that hard-pressed for skills. Since you get +1 to 2 different attributes at each 4-level interval now, there's no excuse to not have 12 Intelligence, easy. If you're a human, that's 4 class skills for a Jedi already. Use the Force, Acrobatics, Initiative, and one more to suit taste and you've got yourself a pretty typical combat Jedi.

Love the new streamlined vehicle/starship combat rules. Took the best stuff from Hero's Guide and reworked the basic mechanic to something that could feasibly be done in the mind's eye (without a few battle grids and 2 pounds of miniatures).

Reading over everything, I was somewhat concerned that Jedi have kind of taken a step-ahead of the other classes in terms of power. Reading that a Jedi can crush your weapon using Force Disarm bothered me; thankfully I realized that since it follows the rules for standard disarming to determine success, so the odds are stacked against success versus someone of your own level (or close). However, being able to block/parry any form of attack as a reaction is a pretty powerful ability that only the fiercest of soldiers (or of course another Jedi) could hope to overcome. Also with a wise selection of Jedi talents and Knight talents could pretty much guarantee you a free +6 to your Reflex defense. At least the old days of free increases to Lightsabre damage are gone. Also, a couple of new weapons balance out the playing field when it comes to sheer power (heavy blaster rifle, anyone?).

Sadly, in a complete contradiction to myself I actually approve of the upgrade Dark Siders have received. Getting Force Choke's damage to be based on your skill roll = Vader ACTUALLY being able to kill his officers quickly as he did in the movies. Force Lightning also gets a significant upgrade from the ol' "3d8 damage and your skill check determines save DC".

I guess the Jedi aren't super-overpowered though - I have to balance them against the rest of the new rules. I mean come on, who doesn't see the "Extra Second Wind" feat as being problematic?

Really, I think that I'm overreacting this early on. The big thing that I've noticed is that although several things APPEAR to be overpowered, I think it's more due to game mechanic-inflation. The entire game is centered around fewer high-score numbers, as opposed to several varying-score numbers in the old system.

Despite me casting a wary eye towards the strength of Force users, all in all I like reading the new changes and hope they make for a more cinematic, exciting gameplay. And although I'll never play a Wookie in my life, it's about damned time they received a racial bonus to Constitution! Justice is served!
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-06-08 at 03:02 AM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

24. - Top - End - #24

Picked up the book last week, but only had time to look at it yesterday. I must say, I'm quite impressed! I loved the talent system in d20 Modern, and it's great here. It's a good way to lower the amount of base classes, but still have alot of variety between them.

I also like how the Force powers took a Tome of Battle route: they're all available once per encounter (though there are ways to get them back). As the above poster mentioned, it's good that Force Grip and Force Lightning got a boost (they were somewhat weak in the previous version).

The whole second wind rule allows for more 'heroic' fights, since goons can't use it, but enemies with regular class levels can. I also makes cleave useful, since high level mooks don't have high HP.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I've played in a couple Star Wars d20 games, and I'm currently GMing one. We've enjoyed it, and we haven't had any major problems with the mechanics - though like any game, we apply quite a few house rules.

Is there anything improved in this book to the extent that it would justify spending the 35+ bucks to buy it? In the end I know it's a personal preference, but how does this stack up against the previous version?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

26. - Top - End - #26

Bought the book myself yesterday and, IMO, it is a vast improvement over the last version. If you like the format of ToB or d20 Modern, you'll definitely appreciate the new Saga Edition.

Can't wait to think up a game to DM in this edition :)

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    I've played in a couple Star Wars d20 games, and I'm currently GMing one. We've enjoyed it, and we haven't had any major problems with the mechanics - though like any game, we apply quite a few house rules.

Is there anything improved in this book to the extent that it would justify spending the 35+ bucks to buy it? In the end I know it's a personal preference, but how does this stack up against the previous version?
    I believe this version changes so many things that even if you DON'T like one or two new rules, the rest will still overwhelmingly win you over.

The Force:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you like having Force users in your games, buying Sagas is pretty much the best thing you could do. Using Force powers/abilities was completely revamped from Revised Core, and it's more realistic and useful now.

Armor:
    Spoiler
    Show

Armor: vastly underused item in Star Wars d20. In Sagas, it can be useful. Its potential is greatest at the lowest levels, but it can at least be fairly useful well up to level 12 or 13. Rather than giving DR as the old armor rules did, new armor adds to your Reflex Defense (think of it as deflecting shots) and Fortitude Defense (think of it as absorbing the impact). As you gain higher levels your Reflex Defense would be higher unarmored, but that Fortitude Defense is always useful. Anything that bumps up that damage threshold is a winner to me! More on that in the next paragraph. If you're a soldier who specializes in armor, however, armor becomes INSANELY USEFUL! Yes, Boba Fett is a monster in the new rules. Don't you love it?! I know I do.

Combat/Death:
    Spoiler
    Show

I also think the new combat makes for more believable fights. In the old rules (and in D&D for that matter), your character is assumed to be perfectly fine until reaching 0 hp. Maximum efficiency until death. With the new rules, you can suffer temporary negative conditions pretty frequently. You recover from those conditions pretty quickly - they're just a fun handicap to have in a heated battle.

If character death (or NPC death, for that matter) has been a major problem for you and your players, Sagas is also a winner. The only way to "die" is either A. be on the business-end of a coup de grace or B. be reduced to 0 HP (there is no "less" anymore) by an attack that exceeds your characters "damage threshold". Damage threshold is a minimum numerical amount of damage you can take in one hit and be affected by a negative condition (this threshold increases with levels and there are feats that boost it). Even if you ARE hit with an attack that should kill you (except for coup de grace), you can spend a Force Point as a reaction to simply drop you to 0hp and make you unconscious. It's possible to die from lack of stabilization (I'm oversimplifying that, but bear with me), so surgery is STILL a life-saver if you've been hurt really bad.

Differences in power based on level:
    Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of which, Sagas also makes you get more "bang" for each level than the old rules. Your character level (or 1/2 your character level) is applied to practically EVERYTHING. Now, if you take a level 6 soldier and a level 10 soldier, took away all their gear, and had them duke it out, the level 10 would OBLITERATE the 6 rather than having a 20-round long war of attrition that the level 9 would slowly win.

However, there's still a chance of being brought down by hordes of stinky-level opponents, though! A roll of 20 is now a Crit, no confirmation required. So high level characters are still warmachines on legs, but they can be killed if they try to take on too many weaker foes.

The rules for autofiring weapons are a lot easier (and more interesting, if you ask me). There are a few new weapons that let your typical non-Jedi character put out good damage as well. Character customization is easier than ever with the talent system. You don't even NEED the archetypes from Hero's Guide anymore to build exactly what you want.

All in all, Sagas edition is, by my opinion, a really good purchase. Keep an eye on all of those hokey religions and ancient weapons, though, as they may outshine other PCs of equal class level in several instances.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-06-08 at 12:53 PM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

28. - Top - End - #28

I've expressed by fondness for the game in an earlier post. But let me reiterate my enthusiasm for this game. This game "beats the living ****t" out of the Revised d20. The Jedi are balanced with the other classes. Spealized Jedi come in the form of talent trees and PrC's, not base classes. Starship combat is (to everyone's liking) vastly improved from the original. You can go from starship fighting to hero fighting every round and not get confused. Droids are a playable option now, and a damn good one at that. Force powers are downright awesome and the way they've been implemented (the yse the ToB method) depict the movies beautifully. I just can't tell you how pleased I am with the new book. Nobles are actually worth a damn with thier awesome talent trees. The "Use the Force" check allows you to to basic force stuff while not making one overly powerful (that's what Force Powers are for). We all bought the original d20 and couldn't stand it. Me and the other GM had a few doubts about this one, but now we can't wait to start playing. So worth the 40 bucks.

pizzel

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys! If my funds allow it, I'll likely pick up the Saga edition, even though I DO like the Revised d20 edition.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatJabu View Post
    Reading over everything, I was somewhat concerned that Jedi have kind of taken a step-ahead of the other classes in terms of power. Reading that a Jedi can crush your weapon using Force Disarm bothered me; thankfully I realized that since it follows the rules for standard disarming to determine success, so the odds are stacked against success versus someone of your own level (or close). However, being able to block/parry any form of attack as a reaction is a pretty powerful ability that only the fiercest of soldiers (or of course another Jedi) could hope to overcome. Also with a wise selection of Jedi talents and Knight talents could pretty much guarantee you a free +6 to your Reflex defense. At least the old days of free increases to Lightsabre damage are gone. Also, a couple of new weapons balance out the playing field when it comes to sheer power (heavy blaster rifle, anyone?).
    I mostly agree with you're statements, Jedi are much more balanced compared to other classes then they were, but are still probably marginally the most powerful combat class in the game, at least if you build one focused that way. The only class that come close is the Soldier going forward towards Gunslinger or Elite Soldier (probably both). A high level Jedi will probably be slightly more deadly in melee combat, then a high level soldier/gunslinger will be in ranged combat. The soldier will probably have an advantage in versatility in terms of skills/feats while the jedi will have his force powers to slightly counter that.

All that said, I belive it is possible to build a totaly non-jedi build that can rival them in melee power, behold the unstopable (well for lvl 3 at least) KT-421

KT-241 CL 3
    Medium 5th Degree Droid Soldier 3
    Destiny 2; Force 5
    Init +8; Senses low-light vision; Perception +4
    Languages Basic, Binary (does not use)

Defenses Ref 16 (flat-footed 14), Fort 19, Will 14
    hp 41; Threshold 19

Speed 6 squares
    Melee unarmed +7 (1d4+5)
    Melee lightsaber +8 (2d8+12) or
    Melee lightsaber +8 (3d8+12) with Mighty Swing
    Ranged by weapon +5 (rarely uses)
    Base Atk +3; Grp +7
    Atk Options Mighty Swing

Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con -, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Talents Weapon Specilization (lightsaber), Melee Smash
    Feats Mighty Swing, Weapon Focus (lightsaber), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Soldier Bonus Feats
    Skills Initiative +8, Jump +10 (may take 10, may reroll and take better result), Knowledge (the force) +0, Perception +4, Use the Force -
    Systems walking locomotion, 2 hand appendages, locked acess, improved sensors, commlink, jump servos, vocabulator, heuristic processor, secondary battery
    Possessions "Jedi robes", lightsaber, utility belt

KT-241 suffers from the delusion that he is a jedi, and really it's probably best not to argue with him on the subject.

In comparison to Jedi of equal level KT-241 is probably slightly superior. He is down one feat in comparison (due to weapon prof for lightsaber), but has Melee Smash to compensate. He is lower on HP, but higher on stats (and immunities) due to being a droid. He is low on skills, but any Jedi with stats close to his are likely to be even worse off. As he advances he will probably go for devastating attack and stunning attack on offence, likely exceding a Jedi's options, and will take the armor talents for defense (where he may end up behind).

On the whole though it looks fairly balanced to me. Soldiers and Jedi's can both be devestating in combat, but they have to sacrifice some of their potential flexibility to do so.
    If at first you don't succeeded, try, try, again. Then quit. Their's no point in being a fool about it. http://myweb.cableone.net/MaxMahem/