New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Issues that are too touchy for games?

Are there some moral or ethical things that you avoid in your games?

I'm relative uncensored gamemaster/DM myself, and watching Game of Thrones has just made me worse, a lot worse. I always try to be sensitive, though.

If there are female players, I don't let their characters be subjected to sexual violence. I think that might be too excessive in games. This does break my immersion to the game as a gamemaster, however, since I don't see why evil creatures of male gender wouldn't rape a female captive. That's like the oldest story in the books. I still don't let that happen. I don't know what I'd do if a male player played a female character and she ended up captive in the hands of evil creatures. Hard to say.

Once in D&D 3.5, I had a planar ally, female Jann, who was sexually pretty rauchy. One player complained that he didn't feel comfortable with that so I had to ditch her. That was the only time that I had an off-game issue of that sort in my games. Well... Once I described a giant spider to a female gamer (an adult) in a graphic manner, and she couldn't take it. She had this sort of "episode". It ended up in a silliness, but she liked that I stopped being so graphic about the spider and I didn't mind, so that was ok.

This one time, I asked my players what should be the culturally accepted age of consent in my game. It ended up being very low: when puberty starts. I had to make that one sure, because I was worried that someone might get upset if I married a 14-year-old NPC girl to an 18-year-old NPC boy. That wasn't a problem, however. I felt pretty embarassed asking that question, but I'm happy that I did, because we ended up having a bit more medieval-ish mood in my game (modern western age of consent is just so modern and so western, really) and no one got upset, so that was good.

What about your games? Moral issues are on the table from time to time or are you guys at the same frequency?
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2015-11-29 at 01:11 AM. Reason: -very

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Issues that are too touchy for games?

This a large part of what session 0 is about for me.

I generally run an R rated game as a baseline.

I ask about rape, slavery, & torture of the characters. And trust me if rape of a male character comes up and a player has invested their macho self ideals into the PC things can get explosive FAST

Graphic description. See session 0. I discuss this because it can really effect how people percieve the tone of the game. Some people like the cinematic nature of knowing what a sword strike for 9 HP of damage does and others would rather not think about the idea that the target must really hurt now. . .

Innocents. . . a less commonly discussed one but a topic I always want to cover. How the party treats innocents, how much the party sees innocents suffering (and how graphically) can really drive people away. In many cases a rather detached view is best-particularly if the PCs are dealing with moral grey zones or need-of-many vs needs-of-the-few type stuff

Also religion. Find out how literal people take their religion and how they see the interaction of religious belief s and the game world. Huge variety exists and often as long as people don't feel they are being mocked things tend to be easily dealt with.

Racism, sexism, etc . . . Again something I discuss in session 0 and thus has been reduced/ignored etc at many of my tables but isn't something I think of never touch.

Stereotypes-I like to use near stereotypes in some of my games. NPC's that at a glance allow a PC to see how a stereotype could have come out of such a NPC but how it doesn't tell their whole story. Thus I have to be careful with it. I avoid ones that I think may causes issues for the particular players in that game/table but don't have any that are verboten overall.

Also I tend toward a dark cynical + dark humour playstyle. In lighter games all of the above are toned down.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To be honest, I feel if there's a topic that makes a player uncomfortable, than their needs should take precedence over immersion or what might make sense to the situation. Yes, the thing that is making their skin crawl might be something that the scenario might call for, but really, if someone is taking exception with a particular topic, there's really no reason why you shouldn't cut it out, lest you needlessly antagonize someone who is coming over to play a game and subsequently make the experience more lousy for them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Rape and Sexual Assault are horrible crimes that leave deep wounds and affect about 1 in 6 people. Any time you belly up to the table there's a significant chance someone at your table has been molested, assaulted, or hurt in a way that is both painful and socially unacceptable to discuss.

Best move: drop rape from all games with no discussion, and forbid player actions that lean in the direction of sexual assault.

Any lost verisimilitude can be handwaved pretty easily without bringing up the threat of imminent loss of power and dehumanization.

"The orcs find you sexually repulsive, and your blood would weaken their bloodline" "The drow guards are under strict orders not to violate the sacrifices to Llolth" etc, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSonOfDave View Post
    To be honest, make the experience more lousy for them.
    Erm-I don't think that's really in question. I think the OP was asking about where people have found those limits that set people on edge not that they should be avoided.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'll add my agreement to discussing this during session 0 so everybody is on the same page.

For me, one of my hard rules is that rape and other forms of sexual violence do not happen to PCs. They only occur between NPCs and off stage (actually, consensual sex occurs off stage too). It's fine if a player wants to have that be a part of their character's background, but it isn't going to happen during the game.

Overcoming prejudice can sometimes be fun, but only if it fits the player's vision for their character. So sometimes I will have fantasy races in my game worlds that suffer discrimination, and I'll warn players during character creation so they'll know what they're getting into if they play that race. Real world racism I'm more careful about. My favorite era for Mutants & Masterminds is World War II, but when I'm running that kind of game I make it the rule that PCs will only suffer prejudice because of their race, gender, religion, etc., either from NPC heroes or from the general public, if the player chooses Prejudice as one of their character's complications. Villains can be prejudiced (Many of them are Nazis, so it's pretty much assumed), but that's a weakness the PCs can use against them. My way may not be historically accurate, but if realism is a high priority for you, then you probably shouldn't be playing a superhero game in the first place.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There are really two relevant dimensions here: the players and the game.
    Some games are appropriate for all sorts of nastiness (Kult for how it should be done, TGTSNBM for how not to do it), and some, like HSHC, TOON or Paranoia, are not appropriate. Some games can be run to include or exclude sensitive issues and still fit with the setting and the intended tone of the game.
    Players are pretty well covered by other posters. The problem is not everyone has the same idea of acceptability, as in the OP's example. I do not agree with the idea that some things should never be included in a game. As in most things in life I feel that if everyone involved is ok with it, who am I to tell them what to do?

Fortunately, my players are pretty open-minded about most stuff and we generally have similar sensibilities so things aren't a problem. Torture occurs in some cases because it's a horrible thing that horrible people do (and lots of RPGs are, frankly, riddled with horrible people). Rape is another form of torture and sometimes happens (mostly to NPCs). Sex happens too and some characters are a bit more adventurous and promiscuous than others. We aren't interested in dwelling on the subjects or getting too graphic (they aren't the point of the game) but we don't shy away from the subjects when they fit the game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Mental Illness can be a touchy issue I think that should be discusses before playing, or if not left alone if someone expresses discomfort.

This was something that never really occurred to me till earlier this year when my DM wanted to apply some variant rules for insanity to the game. (at the time it had been less than a year since I had been discharged). The DM at first didn't want to budge on it because he felt it would be "fun" and "interesting", not to mention it made sense to be driven atleast a little bit mad by looking upon Zargon.

I had never thought I would be bothered by something like insanity in game, but the moment I had to start rolling for my characters sanity I almost cried. I didn't want to purposely think about or put myself into that kind of mindspace, I didn't want to play a character that suffered from mental illness. It didn't sound fun or interesting, only terrifying. Fortunately either I was able to babble something out that explained why I wasn't down for it, or the DM was able to glean that this was a very uncomfortable thing from me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is of course player-specific, not just in what the issues are, but in how the player will respond to them being raised.

But there's another side to it too, which is that it matters how and why the issue is raised during the game. I think that in general, if you take something which is at the edge of someone's comfort zone and raise it in a flippant or gratuitous manner, that's far more likely to make them lose the ability to enjoy the game or become offended, than if you raise it in a serious and coherent manner. In the former case, it's very easy for it to come across as GM bullying, even if its not intended as such, and that added feeling of antagonism will amplify any uncertainty or fear or discomfort about the situation.

That's not saying 'all players can deal with all issues if they're raised in a serious manner', just that you're a lot more likely to get a strong negative reaction from a player for things which its obvious they aren't being treated seriously and the player considers it a serious thing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

My line is graphic sexual stuff, including TMI descriptions, sexual assault of any kind, et cetera. I'm not having it either as player or GM, it exceeds my comfort level and wildly deviates from my purpose in participating in role playing games.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

It will never cease to bother me that the attitude that rape is taboo in a game about gratuitous fantasy violence exists.

Party members murdering entire villages, killing innocents, and robbing and stealing? Genocide? That's called being an adventurer!

Rape? Now, wait a minute, that might be too much for some folks. Let's rein it in here...

Seriously guys, there's something horribly ****ed up about the fact that you all can rationalize such horrible things, yet your buttholes clench at the thought of sexual violence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe all that stuff you just brought up, Tommy, doesn't happen in the games we play where good aligned heroic characters are saving the day...

Maybe it's because we're discussing a highly sensitive subject that has a huge impact on many players lives and how it isn't fun to be reminded of a horrible moment in your own life.

Maybe the things you brought up are antisocial power fantasies where a pc getting raped is a loss of power.

And maybe, just maybe, you should unpack why you're defending Rape as something that should happen in games by comparing it to antisocial power fantasies that you think enough players engage in for it to be a universal argument rather than a niche case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I find "taboo" to vary widely from one group to another. I've had some groups that are totally fine with gratuitous violence, sexual assault, insanity, racial tension, etc. and some groups that balk at the very concept of half of those. It just depends on what the group is coming to the table for. (I had one group that balked at the description of the average murderhobo, and another that said it didn't go far enough. *shrug*

Heck, I had one group I DMed that I actually had to reign in after they managed to creep me out.

Session 0 is the ideal place to sort out comfort levels, but you cannot predict everything in advance. Sometimes you just have to establish a safe word.
    Spoiler: Questions the DM Never Expected to Need an Answer For
    Show

"What if I cut off my legs, attached my arms to the stumps, and then got ANOTHER pair of arms to attach to my shoulder sockets?"

"What is the cost and weight of a mirror big enough to fit a human inside?"

"Can I summon blink dog corgis?"

"Can I cast Feather Fall on a crashing airship?"

"Is there a place in the city we could open a brothel?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    It will never cease to bother me that the attitude that rape is taboo in a game about gratuitous fantasy violence exists.

Party members murdering entire villages, killing innocents, and robbing and stealing? Genocide? That's called being an adventurer!

Rape? Now, wait a minute, that might be too much for some folks. Let's rein it in here...

Seriously guys, there's something horribly ****ed up about the fact that you all can rationalize such horrible things, yet your buttholes clench at the thought of sexual violence...
    Perhaps because those things are more emotionally distant? I have never known an individual who was murdered, and genocide is pretty far away from my life. Torture and cannibalism are right out. No one I have ever met has not known at least one person who was raped, if they were not raped themselves. The whole degrees of separation thing comes up.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with having emotional issues based on your life instead of some objective moral compass. In an emotionally objective world people would simply shrug off most of the issues that face us today, but we don't live in that world for a reason. We are keyed in to eliminating personal stressers because they are bad for our health and make us unhappy, and being unhappy to prove that you are objective helps no one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's a case-by-case basis. I've got a gamer at my table (well her's, she hosts) who has been raped. Naturally, nobody even proposes stuff like that.

Other stuff, like torture and whatnot, is fair game, because nobody has ever experienced it (except in SERE School).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that trigger-based taboos are not about things which are intellectually or abstractly awful. They're about things which cause an uncontrolled, even physiological reaction - adrenaline spike, etc. You can intellectually realize that the complete annihilation of an entire city is objectively more horrible than, say, a graphic description of a spider. But the former generally won't cause an instinctual reaction, while the latter can in some people.

Since the things in game are imaginary, any amount of real harm against a real player trumps any amount of imagined harm against imagined people.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Rape & sexual assault will never happen to a PC in my games, its too real. I play the villains, that means I would be describing "me" raping someone (even in narrative third person) & that is not okay. The though sickens me. Even if I was able to distance myself mentally, the player would be forced by me to have their character raped, its basically condoning the horrid practice. That being said rape exists in the game world, an NPC could have rape in their background or possibly suffer it during the story. Most likely not though.

Torture can happen. But I'm willing to draw back to basically saying "They torture you" instead of graphic detail because there is no reason to be graphic if no one wants that kind of sh*t in a game. I don't want to be graphic when it comes to that. & if the player is uncomfortable I'm more than willing to dial it back to them being roughed up & punched a lot like in an action movie. No need to describe jumper cables being attached, when you can get the same feel with a few gut punches while tied to a chair.

Kids being killed? Yes that can happen. I'm not too caught up on that idea, but it is a heinous crime & I wouldn't be light about the subject, but if I knew someone who lost a kid I wouldn't include it unless it was okay.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Hard to say. First off, as a gm, I don't feel any immersion and also don't aim for it. If I opt to include anything into the game, its not because of versimilitude or shock value, it's because it is a conscious choice that it should be explored and handled by the players.
    I then proceed to write up all those things and create kind of a parental advisory sticker - Buyers beware.

Sure, it will always happen that something can be a trigger nonetheless, so I'm well prepared to drop the issue the instant I notice something going wrong, maybe because they hit too close to home.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

In general, I think it's a good idea to just mention in advance "Hey, if there is something you really do not want to come up in game / happen to your character, tell me privately. I don't need to know your reasons." There are all sorts of things that hit close to home for specific people, which you may not realize in advance. I have actually seen more cases involving medical issues than anything else: if your little sister has leukemia and there's nothing you can do, I can imagine wanting to steer clear of plotlines involving kids with wasting diseases, even if there's nothing at all R-rated.

Likewise, if obviously sensitive topics (like sexual assault or coercion) are going to come up, just ask what people are comfortable with. If you can, do it outside the session so nobody has to explain their triggers in front of an audience.

As a ST, there are also some topics I don't want to treat - I'm not generally interested in conveying non-stop pervasive sexism or racism, because it depresses me; I will also not generally use rape as a plot point. (I have used unrequited love between NPCs as a plot point, and when the PC didn't intervene in time it blew up in their face, but the way in which it blew up was "this turns into a complicated love quadrangle involving the PC's apprentice and the son of the local ruler, which leads to the PC's apprentice punching the son in the face using Super Magic Ninja Powers they're not supposed to have, which leads to CONSEQUENCES".)

I have seen both bad and good examples of treating sensitive issues.

Spoiler: BAD example, trigger warning for rape mentions
    Show
    I was the only female player in a face-to-face game; a couple of the male players decided they wanted to have their characters rape a female NPC. I expressed my unhappiness about this; the GM didn't say anything. I indicated my (male) PC would try to stop them. They proceeded to explain to me that no man would stop one of his male friends from raping a woman. (As a woman in my early 20s, sitting in a room with five guys who all considerably outweighed me and were between me and the door, this was a little unnerving, especially as the other men in the room were looking uncomfortable but not speaking up.) I stood my ground and eventually they backed down (IC, my character was fairly min-maxed and quite capable of killing theirs, and OOC, I was fairly sure I wasn't in actual physical danger), but once we got through the game I avoided those guys in the future.

Spoiler: Good example
    Show
    Two PCs who were heading toward a consensual romantic relationship both got hit simultaneously with mind-control effects (for Exalted players: Solar/Lunar mates, the first one's Limit Break triggered the second one's Limit Break), which respectively made them (a) incapable of impulse control and (b) incapable of saying no. This wasn't something the ST did, it was a combination of choices made during character creation and some really horrible dicerolls. They were in a bedroom at the time and it had previously been established that character (a)'s failures of impulse control usually involved finding a sexual partner.

After we all stared at the dice for a bit and went, "... huh", we talked over what we were comfortable with. The person playing the incapable-of-refusing PC didn't mind, but the player of the incapable-of-impulse-control PC really, really did not want the scene to go in a sexual direction. So it didn't. It involved serious boundary-violation/consent issues, but was completely non-sexual. (The incapable-of-impulse-control PC quizzed the other one about her backstory; she was a very private person with some secrets that had been entrusted to her by others, which she'd promised never to reveal.) There was at least as much IC tension and angst as there would've been the other way, but it avoided discomfort for the players.

As far as touchy issues go, my characters in PbP games have also experienced:
    -Romancing and marrying other PCs
    -Flashbacking to being a serial abuser and rapist in a past incarnation
    -Meeting with very powerful people who have mind-control powers against which she has no defense
    -Purchasing slaves
    [this one is happening right now, and it is very uncomfortable, even though the PC's intentions are pretty unambiguously good - the slaves have been subjected to a process that destroys their minds, and she thinks she can reverse it]

In every case the ST has just asked me where my boundaries lie, and I've told them. We also tend to make use of trigger warnings in posts, for the benefit of other players at the table. It seems to work okay.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-11-29 at 03:18 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I've always wondered why lack of rape breaks someone's immersion. Heck, for me it's rape that breaks immersion, because while my first reaction is "AAAAHHHHHH", some time later my second reaction is "wait, why did the writer include rape? To mark the rapist as irredeemable? To make the auidence feel sympathy for the poor innocent rape victim?" It stops a lot of discussion about morality and sexuality. It's horrible and disgusting but otherwise not interesting.

Actually, I'll design my NPC such that they won't rape people, especially not the PCs. Something as simple as 'kick the almost-rapist in the groin' works well. Improbable reasons for a person to get away from rape is still better than... rape. I'll fudge dice and change the rules to avoid it, it's still far less awful.

I'm alright with slavery and torture when it's not overly described in a gorish manner.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-11-29 at 05:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    I
    Spoiler: BAD example, trigger warning for rape mentions
    Show
    I was the only female player in a face-to-face game; a couple of the male players decided they wanted to have their characters rape a female NPC. I expressed my unhappiness about this; the GM didn't say anything. I indicated my (male) PC would try to stop them. They proceeded to explain to me that no man would stop one of his male friends from raping a woman. (As a woman in my early 20s, sitting in a room with five guys who all considerably outweighed me and were between me and the door, this was a little unnerving, especially as the other men in the room were looking uncomfortable but not speaking up.) I stood my ground and eventually they backed down (IC, my character was fairly min-maxed and quite capable of killing theirs, and OOC, I was fairly sure I wasn't in actual physical danger), but once we got through the game I avoided those guys in the future.
    This one (the fourth sentence) actually made me blurt "WHAT ?" out loud. Holy crap. Thankful nothing happened to you and hopefully it was just talk and these guys would think twice before applying their words irl, but that's pretty awful talk nonetheless. I would have been definitely creeped out too (and I'm male, so unlike you I wouldn't even have had to deal with concern for my own safety on top of that).

To the OP : As most of the posters here, I'd avoid rape and sexual assault. Depending on the case, we could hint at it, if it's distant enough. For example, one of my players included it in his PC's backstory (there aren't much half-orcs in my world...), but I would definitely not make it a part of a session.
    As for the rest... I'm a pretty new DM, so I have yet to test and find my and my table's limits. The most disturbing thing we've had so far was flaying lycanthropes alive for selling their fur (I ripped it off from these forums), but this was actually one of the best sessions we've had. The players were grossed out enough that it made their PCs angry and enhanced the game's immersive experience, but not enough that they themselves were uncomfortable or unhappy with the game.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

We're assuming NPC on PC, right?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    We're assuming NPC on PC, right?
    Not necessarily. NPC on PC rape (or PC on PC, for that matter, unless the whole table has unambiguously stated they can handle it) is a big no-no, but neither would I describe NPC-on-NPC rape during a session. At most, hint at it, as something that happened in the past, or might happen in the future. And even then, cautiously.
    According to the rules of not having it take place during a session (if only because I, personally, am not comfortable with it, even if my players are, which they are probably not), if PC-on-NPC happened I'd ask the relevant player to stop it.
    Last edited by Seto; 2015-11-29 at 05:41 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with the session 0 sentiment. Find out what people consider the line, and just make sure the game doesn't involve that kind of stuff. Unless you're running a horror game, then just use that to fuel your campaign

If my players don't give me any restraints, then literally anything can happen. I will take the game wherever it steers itself (since i run a very player driven game), and it can (and has) gone to very dark places, including rape, torture and murder for both fun and personal gain, both from a player on NPC perspective, and from an NPC on player perspective. Lets just say, you mess up binding a succubus, then you can't complain about the consequences.

I've had the fortune of playing with rather hardy players though, and nobody I know has any "triggers" though. The worst I have is a player who can't stand the idea of brains, and we all give him absolute **** for it, and refer to brains as "fluffy bunnies". He knows what we mean though.

I threw a mind flayer brain surgeon at one of his characters who opened up his skull to analyze his memories for tampering. His character paid money for the service.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

@goto124:

Sometimes, the absence of something can really break immersion.
    For example, if you want to portray the horros of war and occupation, especially the dehumanizing that will lead to war crimes, then leaving out certain stuff will miss the point of the whole exercise.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    @goto124:
    For example, if you want to portray the horrors of war and occupation, especially the dehumanizing that will lead to war crimes, then leaving out certain stuff will miss the point of the whole exercise.
    Man, you guys have some weird hobbies.

I just want to hang out with friends and play a fun story. The real world is depressing enough.

No wonder people think we're weird.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    Man, you guys have some weird hobbies.

I just want to hang out with friends and play a fun story. The real world is depressing enough.

No wonder people think we're weird.
    I actually once used that as an important background part in an L5R campaign.
    The era was Pre Clan War, so still in the 1000 Years of Peace, the characters were regular samurai with families and kids (The whole engagement, marrying, kidmaking stuff was part of gameplay) and they were confronted with a conspiracy made up from multi clan youths who idolized war without knowing it and were hellbent on instigating an incident which they were sure would escalate to full scale war so they could finally have their shot at "glory".
    It was interesting confronting the players with those "Hollywood"-notions of war the kids had and contrast that to the real cruelty when they happened.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, there are so many damn things that can upset players that I don't even bother with it on session 0. Of course, I usually DM in real life so it's easy to judge how are some things affecting players and putting out all the breaks if I feel something is going wrong. For example, last game turned a bit horror-ish, and one of the creatures was a slithering spine like thing, and that pushed all the worst buttons of one of my players, so we stopped with the descriptions and everything was good.

The issue is with skype or roll20 games, when someone turning silent can be : 1) Gone to get some food 2) Nothing to say 3) Drinking 4) Dealing with something in real life 5) Taking something badly.

So making sure each player is alright can be an horrenduous challenge.

I would never for the life of me drop the subjects of my campaigns to PG 13 level as a baseline though.
    Last edited by Alberic Strein; 2015-11-29 at 10:26 AM.
    I'm here to kick ass and call you names... And I'm not very witty.

29. - Top - End - #29

Don't throw rape in just to make the villain more evil. it's kinda...gratuitous. You can get by just fine on having villains sexually harass people. A grope, some really pervy comments, some lecherous licking, or sexual harassment can firmly sell "this person is a predator" without the same level of WOAH HEY WHAT THE ACTUAL **** that rape in a game would.

Seriously, a squeeze in the wrong place can unsettle the player and show off how mean the villain is just as well without being nearly as contentious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

30. - Top - End - #30

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Some spoilers, but I feel they are necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    In Bastion of Broken Souls the story begins with a parent's worst nightmare as babies are born "listless and limp". It turns out that something is eating "unborn souls". It's the most evil deed I've seen in an RPG adventure, but I feel it might just be too much for some parents.

Another one that actually caught me offguard was Rise of the Runelords. One of the NPC's was supposed to get a crush on one of the PC's, preferably a female PC with a high charisma. Now I had 3 players I hadn't played with before in this group and 2 of them were a couple. You can probably see where this is going, but in my defense, I'm a bit autistic so it took me a while to understand why they didn't respond to my emails anymore. I'm not sure if the other 2 players figured it out but at the time they seemed as perplexed as I am. At the time it seemed like a good idea as the player was introverted and I wanted to try to get her a bit more involved. She was also playing an Elf Ranger with a charisma of 14. (Don't ask.)
    But yeah, that's how a gay game master got rid of 2 players in a single session.