New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default SpellHeart 3.5 Prestige Class

All sorcerors are touched magically, with the blood of dragons in their veins. Some see beyond this power though, realising what put the power of magic in the dragonsveins. The akasa, the arcana, the force that flows across magical worlds that give birth to dragons and gods. This force is alive, and its children swarm the earth, pushing it higher, giving it power. Some sorcerors, by conciously diving deep into their heritage, forgoing some bodily powers, get the feeling of returning to this force, subsuming into the akasa, becoming pure magic once more.They are loners and do not share their magic lgihtly, especially not with a familiar, whom they consider to be both crutches for the weak, and theives of their power. These sorcerors are called

SPELLHEARTS

Requirements
    Alignment:Can only be one step removed from True Neutral
    Spells:Must be able to cast sorceror spells
    Abilities:Cha 17+ 8 ranks in Knowledge(arcana) or Spellcraft
    Special:Can not have, or have ever had, a familiar

Spellheart
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |Spelltouched|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |None|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Spellheld|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +4

7th|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Spellborn|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |Magic in our Minds|-

9th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |Spellform, Magic in my Mind|-

10th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |SpellHeart|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Weapons/Armour: Spellhearts never wear armour even to save their lives, as they will risk nothing interrupting their magic. They will use only staves,daggers and light crossbows as weapons
    Spells: As a sorceror
    Spelltouched:All spellhearts start by tapping into the well of magic within. As such they can cast detect magic[/i] and read magic a number of times a day equal to their Cha modifier. They radiate a magical aura if detected.
    Spellhold: The spellheart's apperance changes, faintly glowing and their eyes lose the whites and pupils. Their body and items count as magical for the purposes of Damage reduction, with a plus equal to 1/2 their Cha modifier, to a maximum of +5. 0th level spell effects have a 10% chance of occuring when they cast a spell of their highest available level, the exact spell effect and target randomly determined.
    Spellborn:The Spellheart is no longer treated as a humanoid, and is treated as an outsider for effects of spell determination, though they gain no other benifets of this type. No creature of below 3 Int will attack the Spellheart unless attacked first. The Spellheart will be instantly treated as friendly by all creatures of the Fey and Dragon subtypes, gaining a +4 circumstance bonus on all Diplomacy, Bluff, Gather Information checks on such cretures, who view the Spellheart as one of their own. The chance of random magical effects occuring now rises to 20% though they still have no control over such effects, and it now occurs at all spell levels above 5.
    Spellform:The Spellheart has nearly reached the pinnacle of their heritage. They now cast detect magic and read magic at will, and dispel magic as many times per day as their Cha modifer. Random magical effects now occur 25% of the time they cast a spell above 3rd level, and they may make a Spellcraft check in order to control the effect. Their physical apperance has drastically changed, as their skin seems transperent and their nearly visible internal organs seem to be composed partically of energy. They no longer need to eat or breath, instead they derive sustenance from being in the prescence of magic. They must be within 10 feet of a spell being cast (including their own spells) as often as they used to eat. (sorry not sure about eating rules in 3.5) They are now susceptible to anti magic spells as if they were damaging spells. Dispel Magic and its variants cause 1d6 damage per level if they are successful. Anti Magic field acts as a Repulsion spell, and Disjunction forces the spellheart to make a Will save or be disintegrated, needing a ressurection or greater magic to revive them.
    SpellHeart: The spellheart makes the leap from powerful spellcaster to magic incarnate. They are given the incoporeal subtype, save for the effects of anti magic spells as noted above.0th level magic effects now occur fully 50% of the time they cast spells and they automatically control the effects, though they may not choose the spell. They still take a humanoid form but it glows brilliantly, as the effect of a Light spell. They lose all physical characteristics, instead substituting their Intelligence for Dexterity, Charisma for Strength and Wisdom for Constitution.

Magic between Minds(Su): Rather than gaining a spellcasting level, the Spellheart gains the ability to tap into other spellcasters magic. If withing 30 ft of another spellcaster, arcane or divine (because remember, even gods use magic) they may substitute one of their spells for a spell of the same level that the other spellcaster has learned. The caster that is stolen from does not lose the spell learned, the Spellheart merely reads the spell in their mind and replicates it in their own. They can do this once for every spell level they have per day. To clarify, a Spellheart is near a Wizard. Both are capable of casting 7th level spells. The Spellheart can swap one spell of each level, with a spell in the Wizards mind, that is one 7th level spell, one 6th level, one 0th level etc.
    This is only done for spontaneous or learned spells from casters. Not spells cast from a wand or spell-like abilities.
    A Spellheart can perform the Magic in our Minds ability in reverse, with a willing subject. That is swap one of the Spellhearts spells for a spell of the same level of the subjects.
    Magic from your Mind(Su): The Spellheart becomes more adept at reading magic in an opponents mind. Instead of replacing one of their spells the Spellheart can forcibly remove it, at the cost of one of their own spell slots. The spell thus stolen is treated as having been cast by the victim of the ability, though the Spellheart still exchanges one of his spell slots for the day with the newly gained spell.

Bonus Feats: At each such opportunity, she can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat. The Spellheart must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums.
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2009-09-29 at 12:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spell heart

The templates for spellcasting PrCs can be found in THIS thread. Or at least for the tables (can't remember which). In either case doing the table right will help immensely with getting people to giveyou feedback.

BTW, don't worry, you aren't the first to be told this, and you won't be the last.

EDIT:Spellform needs a DC for the Spellcraft check.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-09-29 at 12:16 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: SpellHeart 3.5 Prestige Class

Well now I feel part of the being told community :)
    thank you very much that was alot better and it made it easier to see the need for tweaking

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll see what I can do for critique tomorrow, but there's some errors in the BAB/saves progression. They're not staggered properly, which in turn prevents me from knowing for sure how good you're intending the fort/reflex saves to be. The standard for a 'bad' save on a prestige class is +3, not +4.

Also, the lack of familiar requirement is wonky. Perhaps allow a caster to dismiss a familiar?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You need to move Spell-Heart to last in the list of abilities.

With approximately the same number of feats that a wizard would get in the same number of levels, AND class features that include dragons never attacking you, regardless of if your are interfereing with their plans, this is pretty high powered class, at least to level 7, maybe 8. The 9th level ability is actually pretty weak since you are 2 levels behind the spell progression at that point, not to mention the delayed progression of a sorcerer. That means you are only going to be able to steal middling threat level spells.

Actually, just knowing what spells anyone you stand next to has prepared can be a pretty tactical advantage in many cases. And, by implication the 8th level ability grants that (at least whenever you activate it).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dragons will attack you just not straight away
    they are friendly to begin with, not permanently, you tick them off theyll eat you no worries
    and yeah i most likely booped up the BAB and saves...not a 3.5 player so i dont know how those things are supposed to work

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

*bumps*
    can someone help with BAB and save progression?
    any other help would be nice

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Spelltouched|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Spellheld|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Spellborn|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Magic in our Minds|-

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Spellform, Magic in my Mind|-

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |SpellHeart|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

I think this is how they want the table to be done.
    When doing a prestige class, they'll have a Base Attack Bonus in one of three types (Good, Average, and Poor) and have each individual Save as one of two types (Good and Poor).
    The calculations for determining these are as follows,
    BAB
    Good = Levels in said class. (Similar to a Fighter.)
    Average = ¾ of the levels in said class. (Similar to a Cleric.)
    Poor = ½ of the levels in said class. (Similar to a Sorcerer.)

Saves
    Good = 2+½ of the class levels.
    Poor = 1/3 of the class levels.

That's for future reference.
    Now, the class itself I cannot critique fully because I quickly skimmed it, but it is definitely different.
    Last edited by Dante & Vergil; 2009-10-07 at 02:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Level 2 should have +1 bab, not +0. The rest is fine.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Level 2 should have +1 bab, not +0. The rest is fine.
    Fixed said problem.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I'd ditch the CamelCase and call it Spellheart, not SpellHeart. It just looks wonky that way (says the one who uses it in his own name...)

Other than that, the random spell thing needs clarification (how are they selected? from all spells on the list, or only spells he knows? some rewording could also help to introduce the feature; when I first read the line I thought I'd missed a sentence earlier introducing it, and was confused), and the Mind Magic things need to be clarified as well (are we talking spell slots or spells known? is this effect temporary or permanent? is there no DC to prevent this if the Wizard or whoever doesn't want to swap? what does Magic from your Mind even do? doesn't Magic in Our Minds already swap them?), but it's a really cool idea for a class.

The "never had a familiar" requirement is lame, though. Just make it so they cannot currently have a familiar, possibly including an option to banish one without the EXP penalty. But really, the "no familiar" requirement is kind of odd, even if it was just "no current familiar"... Why is it there?