A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Faerie Affair - OOC II: A Faerie Special Episode

A Faerie Affair
    Out of Character II: A Faerie Special Episode

Welcome back friends, and congratulations on making it this far! This is the second official OOC thread for A Faerie Affair. As always, this thread is for all out-of-character chat, witty observations, good-natured debate and so on. Try to keep dice rolls in the IC thread, but you can use this one to avoid double-posting, etc. Please note that the third thread is now up (see link below) and this one will not be updated any longer.

Game Links (* indicates current):
    IC thread I
    IC thread II: A Pixie in a Bottle (is Worth Two in the Party)*
    OOC thread I
    OOC thread II: A Faerie Special Episode
    OOC thread III: Fey Were Expendable*
    Roll20 page

Chapter Bookmarks:
    Prologue
    Chapter 1

Spoiler: Other Useful Links
    Show

Those ground rules again:
    • No PvP. Including theft.
    • When we're in initiative order, please post in the IC thread at least once per day. If you can't do that, make sure you let me know in advance.
    • When in combat, please include a summary of your character's current status in your IC posts. Include as a minimum: Name, AC, Passive Perception, Save DCs (for spells, ki, manoeuvres, etc.).
    • The DM's decision is final.
    • Magenta (FF00FF), Deep Magenta (CC00CC), Purple (800080) and Blackberry (4D0036) are reserved for the DM and NPCs.

And clarifications:
    • All human-shaped fey (so not faerie dragons) are affected by humanoid-only spells and effects, such as Calm Emotions and Hold Person.
    • Creatures that are immune to Sleep still subtract HP from the pool.
    • A ‘critical hit’ is always a hit, regardless of AC.
    • Magic items cannot be identified without the Identify spell.
    • A natural one on a d20 roll is always an automatic fail, and a natural 20 is always an automatic success. Ties go to the PC.
    • You may elect to deal non-lethal damage with a ranged weapon. If you do so, you suffer a -5 to-hit modifier.
    • All NPCs are speaking in Sylvan, except where noted using triangle brackets.
    • Wild Magic: wild mages must roll for Wild Magic whenever they cast a spell of 1st level or higher. If a Wild Magic Surge happens, that effect replaces whatever spell they were trying to cast. If a wild mage wishes to recharge their Tides of Chaos ability, they must declare it before casting a spell. In this case, the spell is an automatic Wild Magic Surge.

Player Characters:

Player Character Race Class Gender Character Sheet Speech
    WindStruck Astra Glitterwing Pixie Abjurer 4 Female Link Vivid Red
    Majin Korialstrasz Faerie Dragon Prairie Druid 4 Male Link Dark Green
    Pyon Kyu Sweetbreeze Pixie Wild Mage 4 Female Link Bright Pink
    Stan Opal Orlaith Oread Battlemaster 4 Female Link Auburn
    tgva8889 Orianna Blossomheart Half-Nymph Devotion Paladin 4 Female Link Blaze Orange

Former Player Characters:

Player Character Race Class Gender Character Sheet Speech
    Ramsus Sakura the Three Star Zashiki-Warashi Valour Bard 3 Female Link Light Orchid

Spoiler: Live Statistics
    Show
    Creation and Destruction:

Character Kills KOs Most Notable Victory Items Crafted Days With Party
    Astra Glitterwing 0 0 - 10 30
    Korialstrasz 8 0 Death Dog 0 30
    Kyu Sweetbreeze 0 0 - 1 22
    Opal Orlaith 11 0 Displacer Beast 0 30
    Orianna Blossomheart 9 1 Death Dog 10 30
    Sakura the Three Star 4 1 Kryshantel 0 8

Fey Shenanigans:

Character Performance Checks Creatures Enchanted Wishes Granted Parties Gatecrashed
    Astra Glitterwing 0 7 1 0
    Korialstrasz 0 3 1 0
    Kyu Sweetbreeze 3 2 3 0
    Opal Orlaith 0 0 0 0
    Orianna Blossomheart 0 0 0 0
    Sakura the Three Star 1 2 0 0

Personal:

Letters written: 4
    Dragons seen: 2 (and a half)
    Wild magic surges: 3
    Rocks distributed: 3
    Warhammer-ripostes: 1-for-3
    Divine interventions: 3
    Meals cooked: 6

Spoiler: Memorable NPCs
    Show
    Queen Lydia Seaspray. Faerie queen, rules a large domain in the Shilmista. Sent the party on its quest. Aloof and stern. Appears to have an unusual interest in human-gold.

Mr. Winterglow. Faerie. Lydia's butler & fixer.

King Soren. Faerie king. His domain is in the forest of Cormanthor.

Queen Reena. Faerie queen. Also in Cormanthor.

Ceol. Human druid, former member of the Emerald Enclave. Aging naturist who despises all technology & civilisation, currently living deep in the Shilmista.

Mayor Faelwen Leav'Nias'Iqua. Elf. Long-time mayor of Cershire. Generous and kind, says the party is always welcome in the village.

Lord Giles Andrel & Lady Brione Andrel. Human nobles, richest people in Cershire. Possess a magical warhammer, Andell's Revenge. Have children distributed throughout the Dragon Coast.

Sheriff Ralur Longbarrow. Human veteran, commands a handful of guards in Cershire. Pragmatic but often overtaxed.

High Priest Ulon Harford. Human cleric of Ilmater. Only spellcaster living in Cershire.

Ioria. Young elf, has fallen in with the wrong crowd. Speaks Sylvan.

Ronk. Half-orc thug who has now left Cershire for pastures new.

Molondo. Centaur chef, Springwarden of the Emerald Enclave.

Champion Fillanos. Centaur paladin, instrumental in defeating the gnolls. A proud but uncompromising warrior.

Raielan Sy'Ar. Elven wizard, lives in a tower on the Giant's Plain. Occasionally visits towns to sell scrolls and potions.

Huang Fei. Human fighter. Speaks in goldenrod. Leads a party of adventurers:
    Ondar Ghaat'Arrn. Half-elven wizard. Speaks in chartreuse.
    Shea Meadowflower. Halfling bard. Speaks in deep sky blue.
    Chandara Lueltar. Elven cleric of Oghma. Speaks in dim grey and knows Sylvan.

'Branwen'. Kitsune spy based in Elversult. Has connections all over the place, including within faerie courts.

Arryn Gysby. Halfling artist, wished that Kyu would grant him the power to bring his paintings to life.

Count Chen. Human noble, lives in the eastern part of Westgate. Known by the locals as 'crazy Chen', who disapprove of his charitable works. Owns a very nice ship.

The Parrot Captain. A pirate captain who was transformed into a parrot. Currently living in a tidal cave near Westgate; has asked the party to lift his curse.

Nalfein Vrinn. Drow sea captain who works for Count Chen. Very old, friendly (except to his crew).

High Justicar Whitewood. Human paladin of Tyr, highest-ranking officer at the Abbey of the Just Hammer. Currently training up recruits for an expedition into Cormanthor. Among the recruits is Omond, a Featherdarran who you helped get to the Abbey.

Rik. Human wizard and would-be businessman. Currently sheltering at the Abbey of the Just Hammer.

Larynda Claddath. Drow mage, rides a flaming steed and appears to be part of a raid against the surface world. She knows your faces.

The Circle of Yeven. A druid circle in Three Rivers Land. Significant members include the Keeper of the Tree (an aged halfling), Joia (her apprentice), Daelen (an elf who speaks sylvan), Werman (who is bold and restless) and Rosa (who seems scatterbrained but actually has more book-learning than the other druids).

Ryld and Chakos. A pair of drow warriors who deserted Larynda's army in exchange for three wishes each. They both have one left and you have promised to meet them on the 30th of Mirtul, the last day of spring, so as to grant the wishes.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-10-24 at 11:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - OOC II: A Faerie Special Episode

First!

Hey actually I do have something that isn't completely spam to say. I was looking at the 5e rules again, and this is what it said about the Disengage Action: "If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t
    provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn."

It doesn't mention any limits like it working on only one square or only for one specific enemy. Though I would assume sort of like the dodge action, in order to not provoke an AoO, you'd still have to be able to see the enemy.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2015-12-02 at 05:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    First!

Hey actually I do have something that isn't completely spam to say. I was looking at the 5e rules again, and this is what it said about the Disengage Action: "If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn."

It doesn't mention any limits like it working on only one spell or only for any specific enemy. Though I would assume sort of like the dodge action, in order to not provoke an AoO, you'd still have to be able to see the enemy.
    Fair enough. I guess I mis-remembered that. I always imagined it as being like a feint or distracting strike to let you get away, but maybe the game designers had something else in mind.

And I'm officially going to rule that you don't need to be able to see your enemy to take the Disengage action, because it is not something you do to an enemy, but rather a way of focussing on your movement to make yourself impossible to hit.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-02 at 05:35 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Astra and Orianna may take turns now, then the rest of you will need to wait for me to tidy up the round (the remaining gnolls, slaves and militia haven't moved yet). I'm going to bed now, so it'll be a little while until you can move, I'm afraid.

However, once this round is over, we can drop out of initiative order - there are no more immediate threats to the PCs. You're doing well!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

896 out of 900 XP to my next level. It's almost like you planned this.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

900 exp to level?! I think I passed that!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

By my calculations Sakura just got to 818. If she wasn't getting xp for all this fighting she isn't doing she'd be over 200 xp behind some of the other party members. >_<

As for Wind's comment about the fuses, I'm not sure how smart it is to grab a slave and tell them to light this thing on fire only when they judge it a good idea to do so.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Not a slave, I was thinking more like one of the town guards? They're capable of fighting too... or at least, holding their own for a wee bit. I mean, I just thought it would be better for one of them to do something that simple so that sakura wouldn't be missing out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think the town guards are busy dealing with the entrance at the moment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Well I dunno. Maybe if they had bows or crossbows? I'm not sure what they were armed with... In any case we had a LOT Of ranged support already for the main entrance, and it's still blocked off. I think one or two of the guards could have been spared.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I thought the gnolls finally broke through a round ago?

I don't remember what the distance is between the entrances or what the range on those weapons is, so I don't know if they can contribute or not from that distance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I thought the gnolls finally broke through a round ago?

I don't remember what the distance is between the entrances or what the range on those weapons is, so I don't know if they can contribute or not from that distance.
    Ori's instincts are right: assigning a guard to the fuses would prevent them from covering the main entrance (the topography blocks line of sight). To be fair, they can probably spare one bow, though it would take a little while to redeploy.

And yeah. Level 3 is 900xp. Sakura, Kor and Opal should be on the same number, but Ori and Astra might be slightly ahead. I'd like everyone to wait until we finish the gnoll cave episode before we level up... So I'm going to say it happens during the next long rest you take after hitting the milestone.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine that means Kor and Opal should be at 818 with Sakura? They don't seem to have updated their xp in a while (in Opal's case... ever).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Oh... so the gnolls actually did dig out? I thought I read somewhere that they made a crit fail and it collapsed on them again...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh... so the gnolls actually did dig out? I thought I read somewhere that they made a crit fail and it collapsed on them again...
    There was a crit fail, but the result of that was AoE damage to 8 members of the dig team (that's why I awarded XP when they were killed; Sakura was responsible for that damage), rather than a loss of progress.

But yeah, they're on the surface now. So far it's 8-1 to the allied forces, and they haven't seen fit to shout for help yet.

Astra continues flying toward the entrance! She made it just below the hole. Seemed so far so good, and they hadn't seen any more gnolls in the cave. It looked like the slaves would emerge unmolested.
    Except for the four that are currently unconscious, of course.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-03 at 06:04 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, well I meant that it didn't look like there were going to be any ambushes or further assaults on the slaves (unconscious or not).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    And yeah. Level 3 is 900xp. Sakura, Kor and Opal should be on the same number, but Ori and Astra might be slightly ahead. I'd like everyone to wait until we finish the gnoll cave episode before we level up... So I'm going to say it happens during the next long rest you take after hitting the milestone.
    Sounds fair. I wouldn't think that new powers would just start flowing into Orianna or anything. I just found it amusing that I was 4 XP off the milestone.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not on the other map so I have no idea how far away the other PCs are from me and each other. Is Orianna telling Sakura to ask Astra stuff because Astra is too far from both of them and she's just telling Sakura to ask next round when Astra does get close enough because Orianna is going to be rushing off to the other entrance?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I'm not on the other map so I have no idea how far away the other PCs are from me and each other. Is Orianna telling Sakura to ask Astra stuff because Astra is too far from both of them and she's just telling Sakura to ask next round when Astra does get close enough because Orianna is going to be rushing off to the other entrance?
    If Astra and Orianna made it out of the cave this round, I'll move them now. I'm just logging into Roll20.

Edit: Yeah, Ori makes it out. Astra is at the bottom of the hole and can hear you if you talk about her. I think she was telling you to ask Astra on the assumption that Astra was the only one who did a headcount... though I'm not sure she actually did.

Anyway, the headcount is hardly a spoiler. There are: 11 conscious slaves and 4 unconscious slaves making their way out.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-03 at 01:38 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

How healthy are the slaves? You think we could get about 50 gp apiece for them? Finally, adventuring starts paying off.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I was just trying to figure out a logical way to determine when to blow the secret entrance. Sakura's method of "blow it when there are gnolls" also works quite well.

Edit: Orianna was telling Sakura to ask Astra about the number of people they were rescuing, yes. Orianna certainly didn't really know, but she thought Astra might have a better estimate.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-12-03 at 02:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    How healthy are the slaves? You think we could get about 50 gp apiece for them? Finally, adventuring starts paying off.
    "Healthy" is not the first word that comes to mind when you look at them.

The nearby gaggle of drow adventurer chasers confirm that they are not worth anything like 50gp per head.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PSA:

If your token has a green dot in Roll20, that means you've already moved this round. Wait for an update from me before continuing.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hmh, forgot to subscribe to this. No wonder it had seemed so quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I imagine that means Kor and Opal should be at 818 with Sakura? They don't seem to have updated their xp in a while (in Opal's case... ever).
    Yeah, I think I haven't been on computer when I've read those exp gaining posts. 818 sounds correct. I think I'll start a spreadsheet to log the XPs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Yeah, I think I haven't been on computer when I've read those exp gaining posts. 818 sounds correct. I think I'll start a spreadsheet to log the XPs.
    Good idea. I probably should have done it myself, but it seems like so much effort now... you could search for "you gain" or "XP" in the thread search, but it'd still take ages. And you'd have to figure out who got each one... And I might have done some awards in the OOC thread...

If you make a spreadsheet, please share it and I'll put it into the OOC OP.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-12-03 at 04:26 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Good idea. I probably should have done it myself, but it seems like so much effort now... you could search for "you gain" or "XP" in the thread search, but it'd still take ages. And you'd have to figure out who got each one... And I might have done some awards in the OOC thread...

If you make a spreadsheet, please share it and I'll put it into the OOC OP.
    Yeah, tried searching, but the sum I got was way too small
    Probably wrong search terms.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, here is something. The idead is that the x's work as a check box for characters. I'm not sure if there's a proper check box widget, but this seems to work. Everyone should be able to edit it, if you wanna make changes or just update it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, the link is in the OP.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, check out the XP spreadsheet. You've all undercounted somewhere along the lines. I'm not 100% sure I've got everything on the sheet, but you can at least update the the calculated values for now, since they're higher.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Cool, so even though I thought I added everything as I saw them, I guess I still forgot/missed some.

Btw, does it still sound like battle over by the entrance?