Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Stuck Arrow [Magic Item]

Stuck Arrow (Bolt): This is a solid iron arrow or bolt that upon impact will act as an Immovable Rod. The arrow/bolt will not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity. This enchantment will last for 60 minutes, at which point, it becomes a non-magical item. <Credit to DracoDei> The arrow/bolt can support up to 2,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against it, it must make a DC 25 Strength check to move the arrow/bolt up to 10 feet in a single round.

If the arrow/bolt has dealt any damage to a target any attempted movement deals an additional 2d6 damage. This movement requires a full round action and requires a DC15 strength check to allow the victim to tear free. This allows for a 5-foot movement. A failing check prevents the victim from tearing free. A stuck target does not get any Dex bonus.

This arrow will deal double damage + 2d6 against any charging opponent. The target must then make a DC 30 Strength check or the charge is broken.

Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check, or who's mount is hit, must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck. <Credit to Pappotomus>

"I find targets so much easier to hit once they stop moving". William Tell

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, levitate; Price 500 gp.
    Last edited by Kiroho; 2007-06-08 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Excellent ideas added.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Stuck Arrow [Magic Item]

Nice! What a super useful item. Too bad it'd probably be expensive to fill a quiver with them.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Get a magically powered up crossbow to power this from, and trail silk line from it and you have Batman's grapple... put a Minor Creation set to silk rope and you get the rope arrows from "Theif".
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2007-06-10 at 10:07 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

does it have a chance to be destroyed? I was under the impression that magical arrows had a chance to be destroyed after having their effect.

Very cool idea though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I would think it wouldn't technically be DESTROYED per se, but it wouldn't have a way of reseting it... maybe have it go completely dead on a successful 'Dispel Magic' rather than just be supressed for 1d4 rounds? Actually.... better to give it a 1 hour duration or something...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

All of Draco's suggestions make sense.

also, it occurs to me that it should have an extra effect against mounted opponents.

Something like:

Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck.

EDIT: adds a whole new risk to exceeding your total move during a jump.
    Last edited by Poppatomus; 2007-06-08 at 01:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks like an awesome item. It makes me want to build an archer character just to use them,
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

You single handedly eliminated the use for an immovable rod, also this can be used as a cheap immovable rod
    I'm the Official Monk Advocate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Excuse me while I invent a spell to scrub my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    If you play cheese, never complain when you are killed by it.
    Stuff:
    Force Adept

Magician

Proud Hobgoblin slayer of the Daigo Fanclub - So glad You found your Soul Mate!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Immovable rods are reusable, this isn't.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I've made a couple changes based upon the excellent ideas posted here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This is AWESOME!

One of the most handy things I've seen from the playground in a little while. Though I haven't spent too much time in homebrew recently.

I'm so using these. Archer villain here I come!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

*stares at it and laughs evily*My Players won't see this coming.

Excellent work.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

As to the re-usability, I'd simply mark it as 1/day. You can use it as a regular arrow, but if you say the command word before you let cast the arrow, you can activate this function.
    Nicolaos of Aepternacos