New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default does taking a potion rectally increase it's absorption.

You know...like alcohol does.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: does taking a potion rectally increase it's absorption.

If you're really concerned about that, you could powder it and take it through the nose (which as significantly more absorption), or inject it (even more than either the suppository or nasal spray methods).

Edit: It is worth noting that not passing through the Kidneys and filtering things can often cause drugs to have different effects or cause other unforeseen problems.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2015-12-03 at 07:42 PM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You know, i'm surprised my group has not raised this question yet.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Wouldn't that be lowering themselves to the question, I doubt anybody could raise it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: does taking a potion increase it's absorption.

I thought this was a spam thread at first...

I am amused

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Imagine you're DM and a player whose character comes from a thinly veiled aztec culture hits you with this question...

mechanically, what says you? +50% duration?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, because potions function like soft drinks; it's the EXTREME TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY that grants you the ability to lift a car or do a bitchin kickflip, nothing so mundane as magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Imagine you're DM and a player whose character comes from a thinly veiled aztec culture hits you with this question...

mechanically, what says you? +50% duration?
    Nope. The opposite. Faster absorption means that it gets into your system much faster, has a much more immediate (and often intense effect) but that means that you aren't slowly getting bits of it as it's processed by your stomach and liver and kidneys, you get it all at once.

To be fair there is no way to really model this with potions, because they don't have time to actually start working.

Also you can get a much more intense effect with less substance, so what could be a safe dose of something orally, can rapidly become dangerous rectally (as we see with college kids getting alcohol poisoning from beer, which is normally impossible), as you're bypassing a lot of the body's defenses.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Potions again don't make sense, since there's no danger to them either.

Maybe we should use a non-DnD system. What other game has potions or more realistic equivalents?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-12-03 at 08:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post

Maybe we should use a non-DnD system. What other game has potions or more realistic equivalents?
    You mean like meth?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Nope. The opposite. Faster absorption means that it gets into your system much faster, has a much more immediate (and often intense effect) but that means that you aren't slowly getting bits of it as it's processed by your stomach and liver and kidneys, you get it all at once.

To be fair there is no way to really model this with potions, because they don't have time to actually start working.

Also you can get a much more intense effect with less substance, so what could be a safe dose of something orally, can rapidly become dangerous rectally (as we see with college kids getting alcohol poisoning from beer, which is normally impossible), as you're bypassing a lot of the body's defenses.
    You're mind is on fire. So for DnD it would be a shorter duration with a commensurate caster level increase?

Anal potion tampons would what then? Allow you to stretch a potion out to 3 or 4 uses. You just can't use them in combat... At least, not without a heal check and a full round auto-de-pantsing action?
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2015-12-03 at 08:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

You're mind is on fire. So for DnD it would be a shorter duration with a commensurate caster level increase?

Anal potion tampons would what then? Allow you to stretch a potion out to 3 or 4 uses. You just can't use them in combat... At least, not without a heal check and a full round auto-de-pantsing action?
    Well to be honest, I would probably have it work completely differently. Potions aren't meant to be taken that way. In (3.5) I'd probably have it give you bonus hit points (like the positive energy plane), with a chance of death (like the positive energy plane). Which replicates more the effect of switching from oral to suppository. Increased and more dangerous effects.

14. - Top - End - #14

Can't imagine why this hasn't come up in any of my games but if a player wanted to try it and could explain the required equipment, I would run with it. I would go with enhanced effect + reduced duration + chance of something going wrong, perhaps horribly so. Could be awesome actually.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well to be honest, I would probably have it work completely differently. Potions aren't meant to be taken that way. In (3.5) I'd probably have it give you bonus hit points (like the positive energy plane), with a chance of death (like the positive energy plane). Which replicates more the effect of switching from oral to suppository. Increased and more dangerous effects.
    Can't imagine why this hasn't come up in any of my games but if a player wanted to try it and could explain the required equipment, I would run with it. I would go with enhanced effect + reduced duration + chance of something going wrong, perhaps horribly so. Could be awesome actually.
    So...what potions would be best?

Obviously philtre of love...but what else?
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2015-12-03 at 09:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I imagine a philter of love would be most useless for this, actually. If you already have that kind of access you don't need the potion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

So...what potions would be best?

Obviously philtre of love...but what else?
    Well it depends, as far as things that we're modelling, healing or inflicting potions are easiest. We already know what overdosing on healing looks like, we don't know what overdosing on anything else really does (although inflict obviously kills you). We also don't have good models for the more drastic and intense effects. You'd essentially have to create completely modified stronger effects for something done this way.

I don't think the Philter of Love would have that much of a difference, it doesn't need to be absorbed quickly. There's a reason that not all medication is given through injection, although side-effects factor into that quite a bit. I imagine it would just take effect more quickly, and could potentially have dangerous side effects, but since magic potions are virtually instantaneous, you're adding a wrinkle of side effects for no discernible reason.

Edit
    I imagine a philter of love would be most useless for this, actually. If you already have that kind of access you don't need the potion.

This...

Although an evil proctologist maybe might have some use for it.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2015-12-03 at 09:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to see the advanced effects of potions of swim, climb, jump, etc administered in this way.

Or glibness. Talking out your ass, heh.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2015-12-04 at 12:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I thought this was a spam thread at first...

I am amused
    Me too. I want to see where this is going.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Many biochemicals have no absorption or an altered first pass effect if they don't go through the stomach. The stomach and duodenum contain varied acidity and a complex chemical milieu. If we assume that potions are chemistry rather than straight magic, there's no telling what PR (per rectal) administration would do.

Some potions would function exactly the same, like Tylenol pr does.
    Some wouldn't function at all, like a proton pump inhibitor pr.
    Some could have pretty wild effects.

I suggest that you make a random table and roll each time players do this with a new potion. Once decided, the effects you rolled are consistent each time. The most common effect should still be "No change from usual", followed by "no effect / diminished effect" though.

Cheers,
    Your friendly neighbourhood biochemist.
    Last edited by Erk; 2015-12-04 at 12:31 PM.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I just want to drop a suppository of Tongues in a game now.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

All seriousness, though, I would say, no, taking a potion rectally does not increase its absorption. Even if it did, increasing its absorption would not in any way alter its effects. Here's why.

In your standard fantasy RPG setting, a potion is basically a spell in liquid form. It's drinkable (or, if you like MUDs, quaffable) magic. And magic does not consider such silly concepts as "biology" or "realism". That's why, for example, if you cast Curse Water on a flask of water, it somehow instantly turns the whole flask evil, rather than spreading through it from the point of touch and expanding outwards.

Potions work the same way. They function once consumed. Once consumed, they perform their function. And that function is as-written, without deviation. Drink potion, get power-up, done. Taken rectally, you still get power-up; once the potion is inside you, its power is tapped, and it's just a funky liquid rolling about in your guts.

It can be argued that, since you're not ingesting it the normal way, you might receive no benefit whatsoever. Potions function when swallowed. Creatures without mouths - can they even consume potions? It has to be explicitly stated in some games that a creature who does not require food and drink (and logically would have no digestive tract) may nonetheless benefit from potions. This suggests that it's the act of drinking the potion, as opposed to digesting it, that triggers its effect.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed. Otherwise Vaarsuvius would not have to block out all thoughts concerning pharmaceutical dosage specifications - that tiny potion of Bull's Strength has exactly the same effects and duration on a Tyrannosaurus Rex as it does a halfling. So the method of administering said potion is even less likely to influence the effects.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

All seriousness, though, I would say, no, taking a potion rectally does not increase its absorption. Even if it did, increasing its absorption would not in any way alter its effects. Here's why.

In your standard fantasy RPG setting, a potion is basically a spell in liquid form. It's drinkable (or, if you like MUDs, quaffable) magic. And magic does not consider such silly concepts as "biology" or "realism". That's why, for example, if you cast Curse Water on a flask of water, it somehow instantly turns the whole flask evil, rather than spreading through it from the point of touch and expanding outwards.

Potions work the same way. They function once consumed. Once consumed, they perform their function. And that function is as-written, without deviation. Drink potion, get power-up, done. Taken rectally, you still get power-up; once the potion is inside you, its power is tapped, and it's just a funky liquid rolling about in your guts.

It can be argued that, since you're not ingesting it the normal way, you might receive no benefit whatsoever. Potions function when swallowed. Creatures without mouths - can they even consume potions? It has to be explicitly stated in some games that a creature who does not require food and drink (and logically would have no digestive tract) may nonetheless benefit from potions. This suggests that it's the act of drinking the potion, as opposed to digesting it, that triggers its effect.
    That's true in 3.5, in earlier editions potions could be mixed - with interesting results. Taking one rectally would allow you to take two potions without the risks associated with such mixing - assuming the other were taken orally - though the effects would be undefined for the rear potion.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

The fire breathing potion would be... an interesting spectacle.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

On the other hand, would this even be possible to attempt? I'm thinking a typical group with the table-maturity atmosphere to ask if they get bonuses by shoving potions up their butts will also be doubled over snickering at the word 'butts' too hard to get any gaming done.

27. - Top - End - #27

d20 Re: does taking a potion rectally increase it's absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    No, because potions function like soft drinks; it's the EXTREME TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY that grants you the ability to lift a car or do a bitchin kickflip, nothing so mundane as magic.
    If I weren't already playing as an arcanist I would totally work towards developing a spell called cure x-treme!™ wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    That's true in 3.5, in earlier editions potions could be mixed - with interesting results. Taking one rectally would allow you to take two potions without the risks associated with such mixing - assuming the other were taken orally - though the effects would be undefined for the rear potion.
    That's why I'm happy Wizards put out this little article back in the day: "I Wouldn't Drink That If I Were You…"
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't think that the liver filters out magic, and since magical poisons act instantly I'd assume the same abortion rate, so If I had a player try it I'd give him the usual effects of the potion, with no side effects
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Although an evil proctologist maybe might have some use for it.
    It's the kind of thing the Cleric player would think of. Please don't give the Cleric ideas...

Our resident Evil Gnome Death Cleric (5e) has a strong medical theme going (lots of alchemy, herbalism and Medicine). He's already developed separate formulae for oral and injectable healing potions. I don't think the party would be comfortable with giving him another opening for treatment. The squirrel-based one is bad enough.

I have an anti-magic weed that is absolutely effective ingested, but has a weaker, short-lived effect if you bypass the stomach (it relies of digestive enzymes to fully activate). That would be a no - but I specifically made it that way.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Maybe by inverting the method of potion consumption you get the exact opposite effect.

"Some idiot made a bunch of potions of cause light wounds! Must have been his amanuensis spell near the end of the duration on the requisition form or something..."

"Don't worry, boss, I know a workaround. It just won't be...combat appropriate"