New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Warlock: a few questions

1. Does Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast) add +2 to the Ranged Touch Attack of the Eldritch Blast or just to the magical effects of the associated essence?

2. Does Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast) add against Spell Resistance?

3. How many invocations of each "level" does a L7 warlock have?

4. For overcoming SR checks, is caster level considered to be full or it's always half with the warlock?

5. Is there another way of improving the Ranged Touch Attack for an Eldritch Blast than boosting Dexterity? (Would Weapon Focus (Ray) work?)

More to come... :p

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock: a few questions

1) No, ability focus only applies to saving throw DCs. I'm not sure off the top of my gead if ability focus(eldritch blast) works, or if you need it in the individual blast shape/essence invocations

2) No, see #1

3) Assuming you always get the highest level invocation possible and you dont take the extra invocation feat, a 7th level lock would have 3 least invocations and 1 lesser invocation

4) A warlocks caster level for their blast an invocations is equal to their class level.

5) A ray counts as a weapon for the purpose of feats such as weapon focus/specilization. Generally speaking, anything that increases your attack roll with a ranged weapon will increase your attack roll with a blast.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Just to elaborate on #5, you can also take other feats to improve your ranged attack. I'm almost positive that Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot work with your Eldritch Blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

They do, anything that affects a ranged attack effects an eldritch blast.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    1. Does Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast) add +2 to the Ranged Touch Attack of the Eldritch Blast or just to the magical effects of the associated essence?

4. For overcoming SR checks, is caster level considered to be full or it's always half with the warlock?

5. Is there another way of improving the Ranged Touch Attack for an Eldritch Blast than boosting Dexterity? (Would Weapon Focus (Ray) work?)

1. Ability Focus, in the Warlock's case, adds +2 to the DC for all saving throws against her invocations.

2. No.

3. Generally a Warlock has three least, three lesser, three greater, and three dark by the time she gets to 20th level. The Extra Invocation feat can be used to gain more Invocations, but these must be of a lower grade than the highest ones you're capable of casting.

4. The caster level is considerered full for a Spell Penntration check

5. Weapon Focus Ray will work
    Another Erfword Tool

Official Metalhead of the I Hate Club. Good riddance.

W.W.S.H.D.
    (What Would Sledge Hammer Do?)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post

I'm no expert on warlocks, but i'll answer the best I can:

1) Ability Focus only raises DC, won't effect the attack roll.

2) Again, only raises the DC, no effect on SR.

3) Looking in Complete Arcane, A level 7 warlock knows 4 total invocations. Your first three have to be Least, then the fourth one could be a Lesser invocation, if I'm reading it correctly.

4) Normally you use d20 + caster level for overcoming spell resistance. I don't see anything that signifies anything different for warlocks.

5) Weapon Focus(Ray) should work, as it's described as a ray.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Many similar questions have been addressed in the official FAQ, i suggest you try looking there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the help, guys!

Anyway, following the last piece of advice I dug into the official support info, and to have a better picture I'll use this thread as a repository for reference of the class.

Complete Arcane Errata

"Warlocks With Class" feature in WoTC

Warlock FAQ thread in WotC boards (by Rich Baker, author of CA)

I guess with that I can get all the answers I need. I'll read it all and then ask again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

EntilZha's answers are all correct AFAIK. Also, on #5, I have a couple other suggestions besides Weapon Focus (a lame feat) about how to boost your Eldritch Blast accuracy -- though you won't be able to afford them until high levels.

Try a Skin of the Hero and a Pale Green Ioun Stone.

The Skin of the Hero is especially nice for a Warlock, because it gives him a bonus to AC (which is nice because he generally has to worry about AC more than a Wizard or some caster like that), a Resistance bonus to saves (which is nice because he might not be able to have a Cloak of Resistance, since that slot is often occupied by a Cloak of Charisma), and an Enhancement bonus to attack rolls, which is nice because Eldritch Blast can't be affected by a Greater Magic Weapon spell or anything like that.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    EntilZha's answers are all correct AFAIK. Also, on #5, I have a couple other suggestions besides Weapon Focus (a lame feat) about how to boost your Eldritch Blast accuracy -- though you won't be able to afford them until high levels.
    Actually, you don't really need to boost your accuracy. It's a ranged touch attack. In many cases, touch ACs actually go down as the CR goes up--the higher level you are, the bigger the monsters get, and the more of a size hit they take to their AC. Just get a good Dex and some gloves of dexterity, and you should be fine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Actually, you don't really need to boost your accuracy. It's a ranged touch attack. In many cases, touch ACs actually go down as the CR goes up--the higher level you are, the bigger the monsters get, and the more of a size hit they take to their AC. Just get a good Dex and some gloves of dexterity, and you should be fine.
    That is until you are facing something with a really high dex (like an air elemental) or other bonuses to AC (monk, swordsage, ect).