New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

"I am the way and the light, except occasionally the light is muzzle flash"
    -Ian from Forgotten Weapons
    Last edited by -̗̀ (ↀωↀ) -̖́; 2019-05-13 at 12:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

"There will always be a motive for crime, if we ever get to a point where people attacking each other in the streets is commonplace, at that point society has failed."

"Let him talk. Let him discourse; it will ease his conscience. I am satisfied with having defeated him in his own castle."

"I will, therefore, take occasion to assert that the higher powers of the reflective intellect are more decidedly and more usefully tasked by the unostentatious game of draughts than by the elaborate frivolity of chess."

C. Auguste Dupin (Edgar Allan Poe)
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

My problem with him is that he thinks he's the modern Caesar, but is more of a modern Marc Anthony.

- Good for a rebel conspirator
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Why must you people always talk to yourselves when you try sneaking into some place?"
    Show
    -Emergency Exit
    Because without that the audience wouldn't know what they are thinking. I think the character is mildly aware of meta-conventions. And is annoyed by them. Pick them as they come up in your game.
    Spoiler: "Why are you disassembling a gun?" "Don't worry, I got another if someone attacks." "That isn't actually the issue."
    Show
    I feel this is how most "murder-hobos" would come off to the outside world. And this is a pretty tame example of combat being everything.
    Spoiler: "First and only person to answer the question 'How old are you?' to the minute."
    Show
    Extremely precise about unimportant things (probably important things), perhaps good at math. A good memory and/or collects trivia, I don't know the minute I was born. I don't remember it.
    Spoiler: "She can be SO thick headed! [...] ... Why are you looking at me like that?" "I'm just going to keep staring at you until you see the irony." "... You realize that could be a long time." "I'm aware."
    Show
    -Misfile

I'm not sure what to add to this one. Besides the thick headed-ness I think they are not quite sure what the irony is but understand it is going to take them a while to figure it out.

And because I think there are some good quotes in it: Boundless Nuggets of Questionable Martial Wisdom.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gold don't burn, and I don't read scrolls"
    - ???

Not mine. I want to credit it to Seth Skorkowsky, but I can't remember if it was actually one of his quotes or not.
    Any case, it's a good motto for a non-caster only concerned with material wealth and fire. Lots and lots of fire

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "I'm so kicking your ***!" "HOORAY!!" "And stop being so freaking happy about it."
    Show
    -Emergency Exit

Fight-happy. They want to fight and they want their opponent to fight back. That sounded more predatory than I originally meant. I was going for more of a thrill seeker, based off of the joyous response.
    Spoiler: "You got a crossbow?" "Just take the gun! Its the same principle!"
    Show
    This feels very comic-book-like, but I think it would be a fun character to build that could actually use a crossbow better than a modern firearm.
    Spoiler: "Um, not to belabour the point but have I been filling this lantern with existential dread?"
    Show
    -Aerial Magic

So it is either straight emotional magic or some weird & powerful psychic stuff. If your system supports the first go with that. For the others I'm going point out the potential weird & powerful psychic who also doesn't quite know what they are doing.
    Spoiler: "Yummy food is happiness."
    Show
    -For My Daughter, I Might Even Be Able to Defeat the Demon King

Yummy immediately gives youth or childishness. The rest just shows a belief in the healing power of food.
    Spoiler: "I haven't seen him all day." "That's because I've been behind you the entire time~!"
    Show
    -Rain LGBT

Joyous and yet stealthy.
    Spoiler: Writes down: "Can you please tell me more about that massive explosion in more detail..."
    Show
    -Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu

They seem rather controlled and methodical, even under pressure. Taking slow measured action instead of rushing forward. Although baring being mute writing down a message is an oddly slow way to do it so there is an interesting question there.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dwarf in the Playground

"never underestimate how much a child is allowed to get away with, without suspicion or any reprimand, simply by looking earnest"
    -me, just a moment ago while planning a character

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

As the size of the explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.
    And that would be wrong.
    -Vaarsuvius
    Good for that antisocial wizard archetype, or the wildcard with a heart of gold.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die.
    -Lovecraft
    Good for a revenant or undead.

"The guilty pay the price."
    Good for ye lawful neutral.

"Geeeet dunked on!"
    -Sans
    Good for ye chaotic good but still lethal goofball.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-07-12 at 04:37 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: {A & B arrive} C: "So?" A: "We got along like a house on fire." {B face-palms}
    Show
    Two very different reactions to a meeting that I am feeling ended with a building being set on fire. One seems to be an optimistic jokester, the other an exasperated straight man. Good old comedy duo.
    Spoiler: {string of profanities} Unrelated person: "Yes?"
    Show
    Someone who makes people swear at them a lot. They seem to enjoy it a bit to. It has a kind of side/minor villain feel to it. Rather I would hate to have someone like among the PCs.
    Spoiler: "Do you know how I became the victor of dozens of unwinnable battles? I ran away from about a hundred."
    Show
    Some tactical master who also believe discretion is the better part of valour. Also if they have actually run away from hundreds of battles they are probably getting up there in years.
    Spoiler: "You can be really blunt sometimes." "I am an undead abomination, an affront to the cycles of nature, of life and death. Actually that is unrelated. Yes I am."
    Show
    The quote is someone talking about themselves, so it is "an undead abomination who is very blunt."
    Although I do enjoy the other quotes I have nothing to add to them.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

" 'Twas eight o' clock in the morning
    When they began to fight,
    And so they did continue there
    Till nine o' clock at night.
    "Fight on, fight on," says Captain Ward,
    "This sport well pleases me,
    For if you fight this month or more,
    Your master I will be
    ."

Captain Ward and the Rainbow (Traditional folk song). Actually the whole song is pretty great for any pirate type character
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Listen all i'm saying is that the ethical implications of the dragons hoard means the only safe reproach is to reimburse who he took it from."

"Quench my thirst for your death with blood and oil i shall cleanse you in the purifying flames"
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"How much can you pay?
    Oh--you heard I work for free, huh. I do, but for the poor who can't afford a doctor. But you. You come here because you don't want to answer the pesky questions a hospital or police will ask. So, to you, I ask just one question. Well, two. What's hurting, and how much can you pay?"

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "So how did we get to the moon? We didn't listen to the economists."
    Show
    -An audience member in a TED Talk.

I love this line. Partially because it reflects my own biases but for a character too. Some times we have to put aside comforts and the safe path. Dream big and pay what you have to, even if it isn't practical.
    Spoiler: "They told me 'violence is not the answer' and I asked them what they thought the question is."
    Show
    A character who has done some nasty things and feels justified them. The tone the line is read in also adds to it. Is it sad? Cold? Insane?
    Spoiler: "I'm not homeless, not really. I'm houseless."
    Show
    A wonderer who does not live in a house and feels no need too.
    Spoiler: {Sees a grand act of magic.} "There goes my understanding of physics."
    Show
    The scientific character right before they start studying magic. Also the easy reaction to everything they know being wrong, that has to be a sign of something.
    Spoiler: "How are you not dead!" "Uuu. Uuuu." {Flops over.} "I'm not buying it!"
    Show
    A young and inexperienced immortal who hasn't got the hang off hiding their immortality.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: "You do not have permission to die."
    Show

I liked the line because its meaning shifted with where the good Doktor stood on the slope to hell. At his best, his patients did not have permission to die, because he would bring to bear every trick known to medicine, and a few others he'd just made up, to pull them through. At his worst, his enemies did not have permission to die, because he had not yet squeezed all use from them. At his most calculating, he himself did not have permission to die, because he would ration to the microgram the intellect-boosting mutagens that were slowly killing him, would keep his mind intact for precisely long enough to heal his lost love Leah. And in his nightmares, Leah had been trying to die for years, pinned in agonized alchemical limbo by his cowardly refusal to let go.

For most of the time I played him, no one but our GM knew whether Doktor Krauss was a hero, a villain, or just a sad old man in denial. It all depended on what, if anything, his brain-in-a-jar wife was thinking...and Leah's thoughts were her own.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A character that needs to change his evil ways so that he could go to the afterlife and meet up with his one true love.

-----

"Last Kiss"

Oh, where oh where can my baby be?
    The Lord took her away from me
    She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good
    So I can see my baby when I leave this world.

We were out on a date in my daddy's car
    We hadn't driven very far
    There in the road, up straight ahead
    A car was stalled, the engine was dead
    I couldn't stop, so I swerved to the right
    I'll never forget the sound that night
    The screamin' tires, the bustin' glass
    The painful scream that I heard last.

Oh, where oh where can my baby be?
    The Lord took her away from me
    She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good
    So I can see my baby when I leave this world.

When I woke up, the rain was pourin' down
    There were people standing all around
    Something warm runnin' in my eyes
    But somehow I found my baby that night
    I lifted…

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

"I want to be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To steal them is my real test,
    To read them is my cause!"
    - Good for any wizard

"Thats just another point of view."- for any character who doesn't look at anything in absolute terms and knows all their information comes from somebody.

"I am Solitus, Son of the Sun..."- a character with a big ego and big speeches to match, introductions complete with a title are perfect for any egomaniacal villain.

"I hate the extremists on both sides- and the moderates to because they're cowards, kill them all."- a villain who hates for the sake of hating and has nothing to like about them one bit.

"Wow! What an idiot, you actually fell for that! I'm going to have fun with you."- for when you need to make a trollish jerk who never lets up in their jerkish trollery.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #857
    Troll in the Playground

This one is probably already in here somewhere, but whatever :P
    Spoiler: A smile better suits a hero.
    Show

This line brings to mind something of a tragic character. Someone that has been through hell and is, at least on the inside, quite the worse for wear. Yet they keep presenting a hopeful, cheerful facade to the outside, whether as a means of inspiring their allies, or in the hope that if they pretend to still posses hope and confidence, things will align to prove them right.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

18. - Top - End - #858

"If you say one more word, the police will fine me. But they won't find you."
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

“Father, forgive us for what we must do
    You forgive us, and we’ll forgive you.”
    (—John Prine)
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

20. - Top - End - #860

"Ever see a damn fool do his stuff?" Dashiell Hammett
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

21. - Top - End - #861

Am building a Feral Hunter around this ideal:

Indiana Jones: The hell you will. He's got a two day head-start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. He speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear and you'll never see him again. With any luck he's got the grail already.
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

From a friend, for paladins (and good characters in general)
    Your Name is ‘Somebody’. If there is a call for help, you are the one to answer; when you hear ‘somebody do something’, ‘somebody help me’, you are Somebody, child of Anyone. If you can’t help directly, do everything you can anyway. None of us deserve to be alone.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #863
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    Am building a Feral Hunter around this ideal:
    Are you kidding, the man got lost in his own museum.

-Indy's next line
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "I can always come up with another dream."
    Show
    I here this in a slightly sad tone. I think the last dream just died. But they also have some kind of inner strength to move on after that.
    Spoiler: "That is a crazy idea! It is unthinkable that you would even suggest it and I love it, you have my full support!"
    Show
    This would be a very interesting superior for the PCs. Management seems to usually presented as an obstacle. A lead that is on board with the (good) crazy ideas the PCs have and support it would be a change from that.
    Spoiler: "Is it possible to be an evil genius who is not evil?"
    Show
    If the answer is yes, take the most sadistic planner you can imagine and give them a heart of gold. See if it works.
    Spoiler: "Be quiet, I am trying to figure out how they will betray us!" "Maybe they aren't going to?" "That's impossible!"
    Show
    An insistent paranoid.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"We'll be watching you." "Do that. You might learn something."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"First in, last out"