New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: An Illustrated Manual for Inflicting Violence: A Guide to Fightering

Hey, thanks for the Guide, EvilAnagram! Love to see more guide from you!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: An Illustrated Manual for Inflicting Violence: A Guide to Fightering

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    You're not wrong on any of that, but I still don't think that Survivor should be sky-blue. I tend to be very sparing with sky-blue ratings, and I think to receive one a feature should meet one of these criteria:

• It does something better than anything comparable to it. For example, Fighters have more Extra Attacks than anyone else. Survivor is very nice, but it's not the very best defensive buff you can get.
    • It opens up further powerful options. For example, War Magic allows numerous powerful combinations, and Tripping Attack allows for both offensive and defensive strategies for the whole party. Survivor does not increase the options available to you.
    • It provides so many benefits for its cost that it cannot receive any other rating. Tasha’s Hideous Laughter is a good example of this: for a single first level spell slot you provide advantage to melee attackers, cause action denial, and prevent opportunity attacks. Survivor has the one benefit.

Again, Survivor or is awesome. In fact, I'd like to post that unkillable build in the last section with due credit to you if that's alright.

Still, as powerful as it is, I don't know that it's sky-blue.
    Fair enough. Personally I think it qualifies on both of those first two points, but it is your guide so your opinion takes precedence, and maybe I am just more generous with what constitutes being sky blue (although I think that ability is more powerful than anything else a Fighter can lay claim to, so that really shouldn't be a factor).
    [*] It does something better than anything comparable to it. For example, Fighters have more Extra Attacks than anyone else. Survivor is very nice, but it's not the very best defensive buff you can get.
    It really is the best defensive buff you can get.
    I mean sure it requires other great defensive buffs to really shine, but it is the only buff in the game that gives one the power to tank infinitely. You could stack a bunch of other defensive buffs together to become extremely tanky but you will eventually be whittled down. You could achieve similar levels of healing each round with something like Aura of Vitality, but eventually that would falter too. Survivor is the only buff in the game that can make you situationally immortal against all odds.
    When it comes to evaluating the superiority of defensive buffs, it is hard to make a compelling argument that something is superior to functional immortality.
    [*] It opens up further powerful options. For example, War Magic allows numerous powerful combinations, and Tripping Attack allows for both offensive and defensive strategies for the whole party. Survivor does not increase the options available to you.
    That immortality combination should qualify on these grounds also, and probably more-so than some of the examples you have given.
    War Magic is great and certainly does share some potent synergy with other abilities, but that combination isn't nearly as balance-altering as what can be achieved with Survivor.
    The best abuse of War Magic is EK 7/Warlock 2/Rogue 11 for full EB damage followed by a sneak attack enhanced crossbow shot. That combination can pull some tremendous damage (unbuffed 57.025 aDPR against AC 18) but the damage isn't so huge that it is defining. For example, a straight Barbarian can pull off 58.005 aDPR against that same AC by using Frenzy, Rage, and Reckless Attack.
    An ability like Survivor that is the key to bringing to life balance-altering combinations should be considered higher than one that when exploited to its fullest is still pretty comparable to abilities that come just from playing a class as it is designed, with no creativity whatsoever.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

the problem is that at level 18, being mostly immune to a large number of weaklings is a lot less valuable than it would have been when you were low level. at level 18, most people should be immune to that horde of zombies, in some form or another. the druid may not be able to tank them, per se, but a single entangle spell will very quickly cut the number of zombies causing problems down to a handful, and suddenly that level 20 moon druid is looking just fine against the horde. simply flying and using moonbeam or call lightning will clear the zombies out quick, too, which is as good or better than simply being able to tank them (particularly if they just all attempt to grab you and drag you out of your location so they can shamble past... you can't grapple a moonbeam, or shove your way past a wall of force, or the intangible spirit guardians surrounding a cleric).

simply put, the ability to not get killed by large numbers of what amount to road bumps is not a major ability at level 18. if you couldn't sneak past, or deal with large groups of trash mobs easily, or at least outrun them or something, i would say that indicates disappointment at level 18. quite the opposite of being a great accomplishment to be able to do it, by this time you should be able to deal with that horde of enemies, and being unable to do so is the anomaly.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giant2005 View Post
    I mean sure it requires other great defensive buffs to really shine, but it is the only buff in the game that gives one the power to tank infinitely.
    I think this is what keeps me from agreeing on the rating, since it takes a specific build to work like that.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

You're confusing Defense with Protection. Defense is a static bonus to your AC.
    I did confuse it, and I am deeply ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    First off, you generalize from your party, but not every party has the required resources to focus on providing THE Fighter consistant advantage.
    Never said they give YOU advantage. One of the reasons Faerie Fire, Hold Person, Blindness, Entangle, etc. are so superior to proning is that they benefit everyone, not only adjacent melee charcters.

Second, it so happens that **** happens, so the Cleric/Paladin/whatever may very well have much better to do with their concentration than keep a Bless or similar.
    Most guides you find online rate Bless Sky Blue or Gold, for good reason. Meaning that most of the time there is nothing better to do with concentraiton. But either way, what does this have to do with Trip/Precision Attack?

Finally, in a melee-heavy party, Trip attack WILL be better than Precision, precisely because it makes you enable advantage for every pal for at least a turn without requiring a more precious (long-rest) resource from a caster (related to previous point).
    In a melee-heavy party someone should have Shield Master, it has a much better chance of actually proning, and can be used more frequently.
    "every pal for at least a turn" actually only the ones who come after you but before the enemy in the round.

So... You just cannot plainly say "one is overall better than the other" because it depends far too much on party composition and roles.
    Thank you, it was exactly my point.
    Right now Precision Attack is plainly rated lower than Trip Attack, even though Advantage is easy (Wolf Barbarian, spells), and proning is trivial (Shield Master, Moon Druid).

In my eyes everything that gives a bonus above Advantage is Golden, because Advantage is easy and common. In my experience there are far more parties where Advantage is handed out like candy, but YMMW. The GWM Fighter in my group rarely ever uses Trip Attack (only on crits), mostly it is Precision Attack.

However, I agree, in a party with more melee characters than ranged attackers, no Shield Master, no Wolf Barbarian and no Leader type caster, Trip Attack is much more useful than Precision Attack.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mervold View Post
    snip
    Right now how to run a game that's very melee heavy. The Fighter is a Polearm Master, the Paladin has a greatsword, and The Valor Bard is more interested in Warcaster than Shield Master. A successful Trip Attack is probably the best way to increase the party's overall damage for an entire round. Sure, the Paladin could use Vow of Enmity, but that's once per rest. The Bard could use a spell, but my encounters are difficult enough that he's rather shy about tossing them around, and besides, that's a long rest resource.

Not every party treats character generation as a group optimization activity, and not every party has easy access to advantage.

Trip Attack is an excellent ability for a melee Fighter. Precision Attack boosts one attack roll. Trip Attack provides a boost to multiple attacks, plus a damage boost at the same resource cost. That makes it better.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2016-04-13 at 02:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Right now how to run a game that's very melee heavy. The Fighter is a Polearm Master, the Paladin has a greatsword, and The Valor Bard is more interested in Warcaster than Shield Master. A successful Trip Attack is probably the best way to increase the party's overall damage for an entire round. Sure, the Paladin could use Vow of Enmity, but that's once per rest. The Bard could use a spell, but my encounters are difficult enough that he's rather shy about tossing them around, and besides, that's a long rest resource.

Not every party treats character generation as a group optimization activity, and not every party has easy access to advantage.

Trip Attack is an excellent ability for a melee Fighter. Precision Attack boosts one attack roll. Trip Attack provides a boost to multiple attacks, plus a damage boost at the same resource cost. That makes it better.
    What level are you on? How many encounters do you have per day? How many short rests?
    Faerie Fire is one of the strongest Advantage-granting spells in the game, most others provide a saving throw per round, this one only ends if you stop Concentration. With Warcaster you should have a fairly good chance to keep it up. Based on your classification of Valor Bard, I guess you are above level 3, that means at least 6 Faerie Fires per day. More than enough.

I know this brings us to party optimization territory, but how can you create such a group? What do you do in a narrow hallway? What do you do against a flying enemy?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

What level are you on? How many encounters do you have per day? How many short rests?
    Faerie Fire is one of the strongest Advantage-granting spells in the game, most others provide a saving throw per round, this one only ends if you stop Concentration. With Warcaster you should have a fairly good chance to keep it up. Based on your classification of Valor Bard, I guess you are above level 3, that means at least 6 Faerie Fires per day. More than enough.

I know this brings us to party optimization territory, but how can you create such a group? What do you do in a narrow hallway? What do you do against a flying enemy?
    They're level six, they go through 5-7 encounters a day, and they need healing far too often to use Faerie Fire every combat. Besides that, the Bard enjoys more control spells than buffs.

As for party dynamics, small hallways are easy: the Bard has a magic weapon that gives him 10' reach, and the Fighter has 10' reach, so everyone can always attack. With flying enemies, they tend to have to think more creatively, though they all have ranged options (javelin, bow, Magic Initiate cantrip).

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: The Hawkeye
    Show
    It's important to remember that Fightering isn't just about Fightering with swords. Sometimes you have to Fighter with bows. Sometimes, you want to use that bow to maintain complete control over the battlefield. This is how you do that.

The core of this build is the use of Maneuvers to control the battlefield while you rain death upon your enemies. Your choice of Maneuvers is important.
    • Disarming Strike: Useful if your companion can kick the weapon away.
    • Goading Attack: If your enemy can't reach you, he'll just have disadvantage on his attacks.
    • Maneuvering Attack: Provide covering fire while your companion reaches safety.
    • Menacing Attack: The enemy can't move closer to you. Melee enemies can't hurt you at all.
    • Precision Attack: For when you just *have* to hit.
    • Pushing Attack: Knock someone off a cliff or keep them out of reach.
    • Trip Attack: For when you have melee allies.

Feat Selection
    • Crossbow Expert: Absolutely necessary for anyone hoping to use a crossbow as their primary weapon. Even longbow users might want this for the melee ranged attacks.
    • Martial Adept: Another chance to use a maneuver.
    • Sharpshooter: All archers should take this feat if they can.

Feats like Alert, Lucky, and Medium Armor Master are also welcome additions to this build, though less necessary than the three above.

Weapon Selection
    • Shortbow: The only reason to use the shortbow is being too small for a longbow.
    • Longbow: The obvious favorite in non-angry styles of bow.
    • Hand Crossbow: Depending on your reading of Crossbow Expert, it's either not bad, but not great or game-breakingly amazing. I'm not sure which side of this Crawdad is on.
    • Light Crossbow: About on par with the Longbow if you have Crossbow Expert. Otherwise, a poor choice.
    • Heavy Crossbow: Once again, this assumes Crossbow Expertise. If you have it, this works out extremely well.
    • Sling: The Sling is actually perfectly capable of fulfilling the requirements of use in this class. It just has such low damage.

Just some quick feedback on this build, having been TPK'd using it just last night. :P (admittedly, the groups tactics weren't ideal, but I still feel like the build has obvious strengths and weaknesses)

It excels against small groups of relatively powerful enemies (1-3 enemies), but is horrid against large groups of smaller enemies (4+ enemies).

First, we went against a Driad and a Vampire, and it worked incredibly well, using high mobility, sharpshooter, and Superiority Die to dominate the battle. I felt like a proverbial god of the battlefield.

Next fight was against one big S.O.B. and many smaller mobs. The utter lack of reliable AOE made it next to useless against the hordes of small mobs, and using superiority dice against them would have been a complete waste of resources. Even attacking the big baddie, I felt nearly useless in this battle, basically just making 3 attacks and trying to stay out of the way.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    The utter lack of reliable AOE made it next to useless against the hordes of small mobs, and using superiority dice against them would have been a complete waste of resources. Even attacking the big baddie, I felt nearly useless in this battle, basically just making 3 attacks and trying to stay out of the way.
    Level? Party compmosition?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Level? Party compmosition?
    Level 13 (BM Fighter 11 / Rogue 2)

I was commenting on that Fighter build specifically, rather than the group. The party was myself, a Paladin/Wizard, Life Cleric, and a Rogue/Warlock. There was supposed to be a Bard too, but that player couldn't make it.

The party comp is largely irrelevant to the observations I made about the build, however. They hold true for the build regardless of what the rest of the party has.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Just some quick feedback on this build, having been TPK'd using it just last night. :P (admittedly, the groups tactics weren't ideal, but I still feel like the build has obvious strengths and weaknesses)

It excels against small groups of relatively powerful enemies (1-3 enemies), but is horrid against large groups of smaller enemies (4+ enemies).

First, we went against a Driad and a Vampire, and it worked incredibly well, using high mobility, sharpshooter, and Superiority Die to dominate the battle. I felt like a proverbial god of the battlefield.

Next fight was against one big S.O.B. and many smaller mobs. The utter lack of reliable AOE made it next to useless against the hordes of small mobs, and using superiority dice against them would have been a complete waste of resources. Even attacking the big baddie, I felt nearly useless in this battle, basically just making 3 attacks and trying to stay out of the way.
    Thanks for the observations. I think most Fighter builds are going to lag behind when it comes to large numbers of mooks. They're simply not built for it, so they need to rely on other classes for AoE.

Sorry about the TPK, though.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks for the observations. I think most Fighter builds are going to lag behind when it comes to large numbers of mooks. They're simply not built for it, so they need to rely on other classes for AoE.
    The nature of the beast, I suppose. Just thought I'd give some feedback since I had a change to play it.

For what it's worth, overall, it was an incredibly fun build to play.

Sorry about the TPK, though.
    Not your fault! As I said, our tactics weren't the best. Though without the Bard there it was well beyond a deadly encounter, so I'm not sure we ever really stood a chance.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Not your fault! As I said, our tactics weren't the best. Though without the Bard there it was well beyond a deadly encounter, so I'm not sure we ever really stood a chance.
    I suppose someone, somewhere, is smiling. I don't think I've every heard anyone say, "If only we had the Bard with us...."
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    Seems you suffer from the MMO holy trinity mentality, (DPS-Tank-healer) where everyone need a specific defined role and you fight stupid enemies. That's not the case for D&D.
    Here the roles are not as well defined, but still quite visible, and the best way to build a capable party is to keep them in mind. The party is strongest if everyone knows their role, and acts accordingly. That is why we have 2 surgeons, 2 nurses and an anesthesiologist in a surgery instead of 5 generalist doctors. A good party is more than just the sum of its parts.

Last months in an organized play event the Bard provided Faerie Fire, the Cleric Blessed, and the fighters did around 50 HP damage per round each on level 6. One of them has SharpShooter and Crossbow expert, the other Polearm Master and GWM, both used Precision Attack if the Advantage and +1d4 was somehow still not enough. Both had Trip Attack, the Archer used it once to get one flying enemy in melee reach. A barbarian with Shield Master was also present, just in case.
    If the casters did anything else with the concentration, the total party damage would have plummeted. If the enemy were prone, the Archer would had to shoot someone else. If everyone were melee, the flying enemies would have killed them all. The enemies does not have to act stupid for this to work,

Trip Attack is nice, I would encourage everyone to take it, mostly for control. But if that is the most reliable way to gain and grant advantage, something is serously missing in the party, mainly coherence.
    That is not a group, just a collection of individuals.

16. - Top - End - #136

Monster Hunter came out in the April UA and probably could stand to be mentioned here. It's similar to the Scout, but a bit more focused on combat. In particular the ability to add superiority dice to Int/Wis/Cha saving throws as a non-action is really good and worth pointing out: a Dex based Monster Hunter has no "weak" save. With Detect Magic and all the skills it gets Monster Hunter can make a good frontman/rogue substitute in a Dungeon too. Unlike the Scout it also has a "maneuver" that can add damage directly to an attack natively, even if it's not with a terribly good rider.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

You might want to mention the Monster Hunter from Unearthed Arcana too. Came here looking for more info on it. The way I see it, it's a Battlemaster with more limited maneuvers, but more skills and a bit of warding magic.

18. - Top - End - #138

WolfInSheepsClothing

Very nice guide, but while you detailed the best maneuvers for the battle master, and the best spells for the eldritch knight, the section on optimizing the champion is blank. While all the champions abilities are passive, that doesn't meant there aren't better choices for these guys.

Half orc is an even better racial choice than usual; they're the only race with an added bonus from critical hits. Champions get more critical hits than anybody else.

The great weapon master feat grants an attack as a bonus action if a critical hit is made. Champions get more critical hits than anybody else.

The mounted combatant feat grants advantage on many attacks, which increases the chances of a critical hit.

The lucky feat increases the chance of a critical hit.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Rereading this guide, I find class features and feats need better explanation, especially working together. For example, Shield Master is better for Champions and than other people, since a prone enemy is much more likely to be critted. Great Weapon Master benefits greatly from the BM's Precision Strike, too, and EKs make great Mage Slayers for their defensive capabilities and easy movement. These are things the old-timers can think of, but newbs can't. Anyway, good job.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Guys, o-katana can be a greatsword? He's blade is 30cm taller than katana.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu Hayato View Post
    Ask your GM. Most GMs would probably allow it, but to be sure, talk about it with your GM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu Hayato View Post
    I would ask your DM, but that seems perfectly fine.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm the GM, but I always try to listen another people. Thank you guys for replying.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

First of all, thank you Evil for putting this guide (and all the others) together, it's great help for all people familiarizing themselves with 5e.

I'd like to propose a new build I call the Spearman.
    • Get the Tunnel Fighter fighting style from UA:Underdark, the Polearm Master feat, and run around with a glaive or halberd. This fighting style allows you to make opportunity attacks without expending your reaction. In other words, unlimited number of opportunity attacks in exchange for your bonus action. The feat allows you to make opportunity attacks against enemies who enter your reach. Obviously it only works if your turn is before the enemy closes to melee range, but it makes you incredibly good against hordes. Something the fighter usually lacks.
    • You can pair it up with Sentinel to literally build a wall of monsters who can't get close to you.
    • It gets even better if you are an EK and take the War Caster feat. Now you can Booming Blade everyone who enters your reach. In this case I don't recommend Sentinel, as the extra damage from BB will immediately go off if they continue to move to melee distance with you.

I haven't had the chance to playtest this guy, but I'm eager for your opinion.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garwig View Post
    First of all, thank you Evil for putting this guide (and all the others) together, it's great help for all people familiarizing themselves with 5e.

• Get the Tunnel Fighter fighting style from UA:Underdark, the Polearm Master feat, and run around with a glaive or halberd. This fighting style allows you to make opportunity attacks without expending your reaction. In other words, unlimited number of opportunity attacks in exchange for your bonus action. The feat allows you to make opportunity attacks against enemies who enter your reach. Obviously it only works if your turn is before the enemy closes to melee range, but it makes you incredibly good against hordes. Something the fighter usually lacks.
    • You can pair it up with Sentinel to literally build a wall of monsters who can't get close to you.
    • It gets even better if you are an EK and take the War Caster feat. Now you can Booming Blade everyone who enters your reach. In this case I don't recommend Sentinel, as the extra damage from BB will immediately go off if they continue to move to melee distance with you.

It's very strong, but I doubt you're going to get much mileage out of it. I don't know a single DM who would even consider sider letting you use tunnel Fighter.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

You'll need Spell Sniper as well to do that at reach range, Booming Blade only has a range of 5'.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Needs a catchier name....CAPTAIN Spearman! XD
    ___
    If I have the ability to cast magic missile: I'm going to cast Magic Missile.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Saggo View Post
    You'll need Spell Sniper as well to do that at reach range, Booming Blade only has a range of 5'.
    Damn, I forgot about Booming Blade having a range. But still as a variant human it's doable by level 6.

Quote Originally Posted by xanderh View Post
    It's very strong, but I doubt you're going to get much mileage out of it. I don't know a single DM who would even consider sider letting you use tunnel Fighter.
    I'm usually a DM and it never occured to me to not allow it. I'd rather design encounters with lots of archers, spellcasters or single powerful monsters than not allowing tunnel fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewulf View Post
    Needs a catchier name....CAPTAIN Spearman! XD
    Negasonic Captain Spearman McAwsomeville it is then

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Are we going to get Volo races in the guide soon?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And adding the new UA Martial Archetypes would be nice. It was good seeing new archetypes not based on combat superiority.