New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Sick of squeezing seven people around my dining table every week...

So, I grabbed some graph paper, some scrap 2x and 1x4, and a top from an old ping pong table, and started building the Mark One.

So far it's got legs and a tabletop, which is a start. Next up I'm going to trim off the bare particle board edges and smooth the paint down, which should have it presentable by game night.

Upcoming: card drawers for power cards, little shelves for pens and things, and retractable drink holders and dice trays. Possibly built in power outlets at each player station too.
    Last edited by Erk; 2015-12-08 at 12:49 AM.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Sick of squeezing seven people around my dining table every week...

Reserved in case I actually keep updating this wip thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I nearly said 'get a bigger dining table', but then I saw you're already building one!

How big is your actual dining table, by the way? Is it round or rectangle?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice! Seven players is quite a few for DnD.

Maybe you can make it a standing table, it's good for your health and then you don't have leg room problems. (admittedly I personally would start fidgeting a lot of I had to stand for more than 30 minutes or so)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Nice!

Is the map board in the center magnetic?

Standing / High table looks like it will wait for Mark II. If you do go that route, you can use tall chairs / stools for seating (also, fewer cat intrustions!). But you need to have your top secured. Standing tables become leaning tables, and it doesn't take very much gamer to accidentally flip a loose table top.

Thinking a bit more, you could make a leg extension frame if you wanted to set up a Wargame height option, without investing in the mechanics for up/down.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, I would love the living space to put a big table in for people to game with.

I do have to second the suggestion to make the next version geared towards standing/stools. I find that setup vastly preferable, for multiple reasons.
    Spoiler: Systems to Play List
    Show

Burning Wheel
    Call of Cthulhu PC
    D&D 3.5 GM/PC
    D&D 4E GM/PC
    D&D 5E GM/PC
    Dark Heresy PC
    Dungeons the Dragoning: 40K 7E
    Exalted 3E
    Fantasy Craft
    FATE
    Godbound GM
    GURPS 4E
    Monsterhearts
    Monsters and other Childish Things
    Mythender
    New World of Darkness
    - Changeling: The Lost
    - Werewolf: The Forsaken PC
    - Mage: The Awakening PC
    Savage Worlds GM/PC
    Shadowrun 5E
    Star Wars: EOTE GM/PC

7. - Top - End - #7

It's like you all have a direct line into my brain!
    Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I nearly said 'get a bigger dining table', but then I saw you're already building one!

How big is your actual dining table, by the way? Is it round or rectangle?
    Actual table is oblong, it's a circle with a rectangular leaf. 60" long and 42" wide. It seats six, but even that's crowded with character sheets and minis and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by barnmaddo View Post
    Nice! Seven players is quite a few for DnD.

Maybe you can make it a standing table, it's good for your health and then you don't have leg room problems. (admittedly I personally would start fidgeting a lot of I had to stand for more than 30 minutes or so)
    technically, six players and me DMing. I get one whole side, and two players on each other side.

Standing is an option I'm considering. It's already two inches taller than a dining table, which feels normal with kitchen chairs but is nice when standing for mini movements. I am thinking of leg extensions to take it up another six inches for when I play warmachine. This would fit nicely with the way I've geared the top to unbolt and be replaced by a drop in piece of 4x4 terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Nice!

Is the map board in the center magnetic?

Standing / High table looks like it will wait for Mark II. If you do go that route, you can use tall chairs / stools for seating (also, fewer cat intrustions!). But you need to have your top secured. Standing tables become leaning tables, and it doesn't take very much gamer to accidentally flip a loose table top.

Thinking a bit more, you could make a leg extension frame if you wanted to set up a Wargame height option, without investing in the mechanics for up/down.
    The top is secured with heavy brackets, as standing height was a consideration from the early stages. The leg extension I plan is probably just going to be drop-in with bolts to hold the table on. It may not even be necessary, a 32" it's a pretty comfortable surface for standing so far.

The current top is just particle board and paint. I want to lay down sheet metal covered by vinyl, so that it's both magnetic and dry/wet erase. Also water/spill proof. That's going to have to wait for now, my immediate priority is to make it comfortable for Saturday's game. If I can also make my little pen shelf that'll be enough to keep me happy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Looks nice! I see you have a whiteboard situation in the middle. Did you know that you can just paint your entire table in whiteboard surface?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Looks nice! I see you have a whiteboard situation in the middle. Did you know that you can just paint your entire table in whiteboard surface?
    I sure did. I'm probably just going to cover it in shower liner board though. It's cheaper and smoother, getting the painted surface to look really professional isn't easy.