Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default OOC: Aluria: The Age of Sin

Welcome to The Thieves Guild OOC. Please put a link to your character sheets and relevant information with your first post for ease of access.

A few notes before we begin:
    -Your characters are not going to start the game knowing each other. The initial plot, I've decided, is for you two to meet.

-I've combined a few of your character's allies into one person. Kyrus' ally, Horace Mann, is combined and renamed with Findicano's ally, Edricht Sedwin. Sedwin is an aristocrat, trader, and informant to Kyrus' thieves guild, as well as a partner to Findicano.

-This is a custom world that I will be building from scratch. Magic exists in three forms- Solvarian (Divine), Alurian (Druidic), and Daetharian (Arcane), but all forms have been banished from the world. Some say that a few individuals are capable of individually manifesting some form of magic, but that is generally passed off as myth. Kyrus Victus is one such exception, and knows that it is not myth.

Here is a brief history of the world:
    Spoiler: Aluria
    Show
    Aluria: The Realm of the Mortals
    Solvaria: The Realm of the Divine
    Daetharia: The Realm of the Arcane

Long before the first first mortals walked the world of Aluria, there were two other worlds that conflicted over the realms of the cosmos. These worlds were Solvaria, the Realm of the Divine and Daetharia, the Realm of the Arcane. Solvaria is the home of angelic creatures and divine magic and upholds the virtues of law and good. Daetharia is the home of demonic creatures and arcane magic and represents pure evil and chaos. Since the creation of the cosmos, angels and demons have waged a hellish war that has ravaged and destroyed countless realms.

Five thousand years ago, one world gave rise to the races of Aluria, the Realm of Mortals. To modern Alurians, this period of time is referred to as the Age of Awakening. Humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, and many other races slowly and individually evolved and became civilized. Kingdoms, empires, and nations rose and fell, shifting the relations of the races closer to what they are in the modern Age.

Around two hundred years ago, Aluria was visited by its first outsider; a Daetharian. The demon, who was fleeing through the cosmos from a lost battle on another realm and had accidentally stumbled across Aluria, quickly learned of the darkness within the hearts of mortals. Leaving to pass this information along to his superiors, the Daetharian soon returned to Aluria with the full might of Daetharia's demonic forces.

Alurians were forced to make a decision; join Daetharia's war effort against Solvaria, or be destroyed. Within a few short years, more than half of the population of Aluria fell to either the powerful corruption of arcane magic or to the onslaught of Daetharian military might.

Sensing the shift of arcane corruption through the cosmos, a full contingent of angelic warriors of Solvaria came to the world of Aluria and rallied the surviving mortals to rebel against Daetharian's demons. Some would say that this day marked the beginning of the Age of Sin.

The introduction of the Outsider War ravaged Aluria. Solvarians taught humans to wield divine magic, while Daetharians forcibly instilled arcane magic into their troops. Divine fire rained from the sky and hellish earthquakes shook the land. Terrifying demons slaughtered mortal and angel by the scores while vigilant angelic sentinels rallied the dispirited soldiers of Aluria. Arcane energy pounded ruthlessly against protective walls of holy light. Entire societies of the mortal races were forced to combat each other in the names of Solvaria and Daetharia.

The rushing influx of magic into Aluria unleashed potential energies that created its own version of magic. Teaching themselves to harness this magic, the mortal races used the natural druidic magicks that Aluria had to offer. Now with the ability to control storms and beasts as well as the powers granted to them by the divine and arcane, the Alurians with their new druidic magic proved to be just as fierce on the battlefield as their angelic and demonic adversaries.

The combined forces of Solvaria and their Alurian allies lost increasingly important battles throughout the span of the war. Solvaria's High-Commander overseeing the conflict in Aluria, realized that the realm had been lost. Thinking back to the hundreds of other realms she had engaged Daetharian forces in, she knew that Aluria, along with every mortal life in it, would be extinguished when the Daetharians inevitably won.

She knew that this world was different than the rest because, unlike every other world she had seen, this world had life. To her, that spelled hope. She wasn't fighting for the war effort of Solvaria here, she was fighting for the lives of the Alurians. She made a decision that would spare the mortal races of Aluria, and the High-Commander ordered her most powerful clerics to create a spell that would emplace a cosmological shield around the realm of Aluria itself.

Known as the Barrier, this shield was originally designed to prevent any demonic entity from entering the realm of Aluria. In addition, the Barrier would prevent any arcane magic in the world from manifesting. Unfortunately, it was soon realized that in order to achieve this and assure the maximum amount of power the Barrier would have against them, the Barrier would have to affect Solvarians and divine magic as well as Aluria's natural druidic magic. Deciding that this was a worthwhile tradeoff, the High-Commander ordered the creation of the Barrier as planned.

The creation and execution of the spell would take a full decade to achieve, but the High-Commander knew it was worthwhile. She ordered her most powerful Solvarian and Alurian paladins into a defensive strategy that would ensure the survival of the realm for as long as possible while her wisest clerics created and begun the ritual that would create the Barrier.

Ten years later, the Barrier was created. Then, in an instant, all Solvarian angels, Solvarian divine magic, Daetharian demons, Daetharian arcane magic, and even natural Alurian druidic magic simply disappeared. The angels and demons returned to the cosmos to continue to wage their war against each other, while the Barrier ensured that the realm of Aluria would be untouched by outsider and magical influence from then on.

Unfortunately, the creation of the Barrier only set a tentative peace in Aluria for a very short time.

Despite the minds and spirits of those once corrupted by Daetharian arcane corruption being completely freed from its evil grasp, the mortals that once served Daetharia- known as Daetharites- still felt a compulsion to wage war against Solvarians.

The mortals that served Solvaria- known as Solvarites- no longer had the spiritual guidance of the angels to aid them. The latest generation of Alurians had only known war throughout their lives, and thus they had decided to continue to wage war against the Daetharians.

Without arcane, divine, or druidic magic to fuel their killing instincts, the mortal races were forced to invent knew ways to engage in war against each other. Every nation in Aluria attempted to take control of the realm, which only turned the realm into a playground of blood. Political assassinations, full militaristic advances, the invention of firearms, attempted genocides, attempts to reharness the different schools of magicks, and the degradation of Aluria's races in general has arguably proven that the sudden arrival and departure of outsiders was the single worst thing that has happened and ever will happen to the realm of Aluria. That is, until the races of Aluria war each other to extinction.

It has now been fifteen years since the creation of the Barrier. This is the world you live in. Welcome to Aluria: The Age of Sin.

Abridged History:
    -Since the birth of the Cosmos, Solvarian angels and Daetharian demons have waged war.
    -5,000 (Age of Awakening): Rise of the mortal races in Aluria; Humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs.
    -5: A Daetharian demon arrives to Aluria.
    -3: Daetharia invades Aluria, seeking to corrupt the mortal races as pawns to fight against Solvaria.
    -1: More than half of Aluria's population are either slaughtered or corrupted by Daetharian forces.
    -0: (The Age of Sin): Solvaria senses the corruption in Aluria and rushes to rally and defend the mortal races.
    +15: Arcane and Divine magic unleashes Aluria's own source of magic; the magic of Nature.
    +175: The Solvarian High-Commander orders the creation of the Barrier.
    +185: The creation of the Barrier is completed. Solvarian and Daetharian outsiders and magics disappear. Alurian magics nearly cease to exist. Rumors say that some mortals are still capable of manifesting either Daetharian or Solvarian magic.
    +200: (Current day)

-You will start in a city called Stormhaven, which has been a long time Solvarian city. However, an influx of Daetharian leaders have come to power over the last few years and have corrupted a large number of leaders (To include Governor Felix) and troops of the city and are beginning to wage war against a neighboring Solvarian nation.
    The Solvarians do not spur on the conflict, but are willing to defend themselves fiercely. It is widely known that the Solvarians retaliate and kill Stormhaven citizens in self-defense.
    It was a Solvarian counter attack in this manner that Findicano's home village was razed.

I am working on the first IC. Please let me know if you have any questions about the world or game. Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2015-12-10 at 09:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: Aluria: The Age of Sin

Should I inform the other two people on the recruitment thread of your choice to move ahead?

Also, I'll edit in the link here in a second after writing down the url. No copy-paste for me, lol.

Kyrus Victus

Edit2: Also, just wanted to say that I was totally thinking that we should start the game with the two characters not knowing each other. So, yeah. Great minds and all that.

Also farting giant green dinosaurs. (inside joke, we'll explain later, Bink).
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2015-12-11 at 08:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a link to Findecáno.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've put together! I've got a lot of reading to do, but found myself with an impromptu day off today, so I should be able to catch up without too much trouble.

Good call giving us a common contact. That should enable the meeting to happen more fluidly than it otherwise might.

Edit: I'm glad I shouldn't understand the dinosaur reference... because I don't. At all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Aluria: The Age of Sin IC is now up!

5. - Top - End - #5

Awesome sauce! Woot woot!

I'm thinking that a knowledge local roll is probably in order, and I'll probably follow that with some bluffing and diplomacy as needed. Most likely. We'll see.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2015-12-12 at 02:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Slight pause as I work out the possibility of a third player with someone.

7. - Top - End - #7

I suppose it could be worse. Kyrus could be oblivious to possible threats as well as being clueless to where he's going.

Also I figured that even if we get a third player, those rolls would still be appropriate.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2015-12-15 at 01:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Is it safe to assume that this isn't going to happen?