New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VIII: When General Trumps Specific

I thought specific bonus feats like those didn't require the prerequisites by default?
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

Only those marked with B.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Banned

No, this applies to all bonus feats; MMI page 7 "Creatures often do not have the prerequisite for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat." This is not limited to "bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B)", but applies to all of them.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    No, this applies to all bonus feats; MMI page 7 "Creatures often do not have the prerequisite for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat." This is not limited to "bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B)", but applies to all of them.
    PHB says you need to fulfil the prerequisites. MM1 says you do not for bonus feats. According to the primary source rule, unless concerned with monsters the MM cannot override the PHB. Ergo it only applies to the bonus feats in the MM (which all should be marked with B).

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

Specific also trumps general, so an exception about bonus feats and a rule about feats in general are not in contradiction, so primary source doesn't take effect.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

That rule is in the Monster Manual in a section describing feats in a monster entry. It has nothing to do with class granted bonus feats.

Class granted bonus feats themselves are something of a sticky wicket. There exist classes (such as ranger) that say you can have a feat even if you don't qualify. There exist classes (such as wizard) that say you must qualify for the feat you receive. I don't know of any general rule on class granted bonus feats, so I suppose I should have said that soulknife may or may not be denied the use of the bonus feats.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    That rule is in the Monster Manual in a section describing feats in a monster entry. It has nothing to do with class granted bonus feats.
    It has to do with bonus feats, period. There's no distinction made.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Banned

Where the rule is doesn't matter. If a section in the monster manual described a new item in the middle of a monster entry, it would sound ridiculous to say that the item doesn't exist because it's not in the magic items section. The same is true for bonus feats: it doesn't say that it's only talking about monster bonus feats.

Come on, if that were true then you could only use the feat if you put a little B next to it on your character sheet. That is, how you chose to format your character sheet would change your character's abilities. You're picking the most insane possible reading of primary source, but there is no contradiction so it doesn't matter where the rules are written.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

General Trump? I didn't know he was in the military.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

Not so much "real dysfunction", as sever case of "fluff/crunch disconnection":
    Incubi (Dragon #353)
    They have no innate ability to mask their demonic forms, nor do they care to.
    Except
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th)
    At will - ... disguise self (DC 16, no limit on duration)

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Not so much "real dysfunction", as sever case of "fluff/crunch disconnection":
    Incubi (Dragon #353)Except

I think disguise self does not let you hide type, so the description might tecnically be true.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    I think disguise self does not let you hide type, so the description might tecnically be true.
    So it can "only" disguise itself as an Angel, or an Inevitable, or whatever other outsider it feels like, but not a plain old vanilla human?

Pretty sure that still counts as a dysfunction. Arguably two dysfunctions.

13. - Top - End - #1243

Quote Originally Posted by Snow-blind View Post
    So it can "only" disguise itself as an Angel, or an Inevitable, or whatever other outsider it feels like, but not a plain old vanilla human?

Pretty sure that still counts as a dysfunction. Arguably two dysfunctions.
    So long as you have a humanoid body shape, you can look like a human:
    Quote Originally Posted by Disguise Self, 3.5 PHB p.222
    You cannot change your body type. For example, a human caster could look human, humanoid, or like any other human-shaped bipedal creature.
    Size discrepancies aside.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2016-09-21 at 04:54 PM. Reason: edition specification
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

14. - Top - End - #1244

BlackDragon

Here's one i didn't find in the hand book,
    In pathfinder(and maybe 3.5 too) There is the Advanced template and the dengenrate template, him you combine these two you end up with a monster that is slightly stronger, but the same cr, as they get a +2 to ac and CMD
    Dunno of it counts but it weird

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coretron03 View Post
    Here's one i didn't find in the hand book,
    In pathfinder(and maybe 3.5 too) There is the Advanced template and the dengenrate template, him you combine these two you end up with a monster that is slightly stronger, but the same cr, as they get a +2 to ac and CMD
    Dunno of it counts but it weird
    That's not dysfunctional, just a quirk of the system. It's in fact surprisingly clear as far as rule interactions go.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    That's not dysfunctional, just a quirk of the system. It's in fact surprisingly clear as far as rule interactions go.
    I would say that "Anything up to infinite boost to AC and CMD doesn't change how challenging game thinks monster is" is dysfunctional.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we consider recursive template stacking to be dysfunctional by itself? Because if we do, the +2 AC and CMD from applying both templates once is essentially a rounding error.

Giving a monster an extra potion of Barkskin doesn't increase its CR either.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-09-23 at 11:12 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If a creature gets raised as a zombie, it has no skills because it has Int -. This is the one of the few ways that intelligence can retroactively affect skill points, something that's normally considered to complicated to bother doing. If that creature gets restored to its normal state, is there anything that says that its skills come back?

What I'm asking is, can I permanently delete something's skill points by raising it as a mindless undead? If not, can I allow a creature to retake skill points at an improved Int score by wiping its skills through a temporary application of a mindless undead template?

This might not be a concern if all class-based HD are discarded permanently upon application of the template. Yeah, then things might be worse.

Also by RAW, can something with 21 class levels be raised as a skeleton or zombie? Normally class HD are thrown out, but that supposedly happens after qualifying for the template. If something has too many HD to qualify, those HD can't be lost through the application of the template.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

Also by RAW, can something with 21 class levels be raised as a skeleton or zombie? Normally class HD are thrown out, but that supposedly happens after qualifying for the template. If something has too many HD to qualify, those HD can't be lost through the application of the template.
    I'm not sure about the rest of your questions, but this one I can address. The HD limit for zombies and skeletons only applies if they're created by animate dead. Other effects, like the plague of undead spell or the mohrg's create spawn ability, aren't limited in this fashion.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Colossus in the Playground

If a creature gets raised as a zombie, it has no skills because it has Int -. This is the one of the few ways that intelligence can retroactively affect skill points, something that's normally considered to complicated to bother doing. If that creature gets restored to its normal state, is there anything that says that its skills come back?

What I'm asking is, can I permanently delete something's skill points by raising it as a mindless undead? If not, can I allow a creature to retake skill points at an improved Int score by wiping its skills through a temporary application of a mindless undead template?
    There's no such thing as "restored to its normal state" because you are not altering the actual creature's state. It's hard to figure out because 3.5 is very obtuse with what a corpse is, but consider this sequence of events: Ember the Human Monk goes into battle against a necromancer, and is killed. The necromancer raises a zombie out of her corpse. Later, the zombie is slain by Ember's friend Jozan, and Jozan casts true resurrection to bring Ember back to life.

Was the zombie Ember? No, it was her corpse, an object, turned into a creature. The zombie was a Human Zombie, not an Ember Zombie. Ember was dead, and then Jozan brought her back to life. The zombie was no more Ember than an animate object spell cast on her corpse would be Ember.

Where it gets weird is intelligent undead that retain the base creature's abilities, but those keep the skill points, so your question doesn't apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    There's no such thing as "restored to its normal state" because you are not altering the actual creature's state. It's hard to figure out because 3.5 is very obtuse with what a corpse is, but consider this sequence of events: Ember the Human Monk goes into battle against a necromancer, and is killed. The necromancer raises a zombie out of her corpse. Later, the zombie is slain by Ember's friend Jozan, and Jozan casts true resurrection to bring Ember back to life.

Was the zombie Ember? No, it was her corpse, an object, turned into a creature. The zombie was a Human Zombie, not an Ember Zombie. Ember was dead, and then Jozan brought her back to life. The zombie was no more Ember than an animate object spell cast on her corpse would be Ember.

Where it gets weird is intelligent undead that retain the base creature's abilities, but those keep the skill points, so your question doesn't apply.
    No, the weird thing is that a 17th-level cleric decides raising a monk is worth 25000 GP.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, "corpses are objects" is fanon
    There is the Dead condition, thus corpse of Ember is still Ember, and Zombie is Ember Zombie; corpse should be immune to animate object - because isn't an object

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I feel like arguing this would get into dissecting the English language, which kills the fun of this thread and reanimates it as a pesky CR 1/2 nuisance. I will agree that it is possible to read the spell Animate Dead not as actually affecting creatures. I support that creatures have corpses, but that the corpses themselves are not necessarily the creature. It makes a demented kind of sense.

There are still benefits for choosing specific individuals for animation. Creatures keep their weapon proficiency when animated as zombies or skeletons, and the ability for a lackey to use certain weapons is a worthy consideration. I find it weird that this rule would exist without any means of actually employing it. We do have Mohrgs [sic and sick], which undoubtedly raise creatures as zombies, so what happens to the vanishing skill points then?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Banned

Actually, "corpses are objects" is fanon
    There is the Dead condition, thus corpse of Ember is still Ember, and Zombie is Ember Zombie; corpse should be immune to animate object - because isn't an object
    Corpses are objects and take object saving throws.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ettin in the Playground

And where exactly it says it?
    Saving Throw/Spell Resistance?
    let me point the relevant line:
    The spell also works on severed body parts and the like.
    Dead creatures aren't object, but "severed body parts"...

Also, Raise Dead and Reincarnate spells have line:
    Target: Dead creature touched
    Note: "Dead creature"
    Creature.
    Not an object.
    If corpses were objects, then those spell wouldn't work

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Banned

And where exactly it says it?
    Saving Throw/Spell Resistance?
    let me point the relevant line:Dead creatures aren't object, but "severed body parts"...
    Okay, invisibility works on creatures and objects too! Let's look at what its saving throw line is...

Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (harmless, object)
    Oh, wait! Obviously, one of those is for when you're targeting a creature, and one is for when you're targeting an object! Let's look at sequester, a spell that affects creatures and objects, but only objects can save...

None or Will negates (object)
    Wow! It looks like spells which can affect creatures and objects list the saves for creatures and the saves for objects separately! I guess that means that gentle repose isn't one of those spells after all!
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-09-23 at 07:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

What is a corpse, but all the parts of a body severed from its animating spirit?

The rules don't permit cutting up creatures, but they do allow you to change one object into another. Letting corpses be objects that can be 'crafted' into body parts both allows you to use spells that have icky components and gives regeneration a reason to exist.

So what about the skill points that get flushed by a mohrg zombifying a creature? Do those get severed into objects?

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, invisibility works on creatures and objects too! Let's look at what its saving throw line is...

Oh, wait! Obviously, one of those is for when you're targeting a creature, and one is for when you're targeting an object! Let's look at sequester, a spell that affects creatures and objects, but only objects can save...

Wow! It looks like spells which can affect creatures and objects list the saves for creatures and the saves for objects separately! I guess that means that gentle repose isn't one of those spells after all!
    No, it's not what "(object)" mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Overview > Spell Descriptions > Saving Throw
    (object)

The spell can be cast on objects, which receive saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, or the like) by a creature resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creature’s saving throw bonus unless its own bonus is greater. (This notation does not mean that a spell can be cast only on objects. Some spells of this sort can be cast on creatures or objects.) A magic item’s saving throw bonuses are each equal to 2 + one-half the item’s caster level.
    It's "can be cast on objects", not "must be cast on objects"!
    For example, let's see Disintegrate:
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
    Do you expecting it wouldn't work on creatures?
    Line from sequester don't do anything to disprove me: spell affect both objects and creatures, just differently. Big deal!
    The invisibility is weird. But there is the Dysfunctional Rules thread...

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Banned

So, today we've learned that Wizards don't know how their own spell notation works. Thanks, Invisibility!

EDIT: Also, dead creatures get weird when you consider a petitioner or a ghost, both of which are templates. Is the corpse a creature, or is the ghost a creature? If they're both creatures, then surely they're the same creature?
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-09-23 at 07:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground

Does a corpse have a wisdom score? Since a corpse of a creature is not the same as the creature itself, we cannot assume that a wisdom score is inherited.

Anything without a wisdom score is an object.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on nonabilities
    Anything with no Wisdom score is an object, not a creature.