New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRPGs for kids

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Kobold

Default TRPGs for kids

Yo. I'm working on a few projects and for one of them I want to see how much Kids can follow a tabletop RPG without getting seriously bored.

Anyone have a system they'd recommend for 7-10 year olds? I would be running it, and it's primarily to see if they would even be interested in the concept. So as simple as possible would be best. And yes, I am considering RISUS.

Any others I should look into?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: TRPGs for kids

I've never played Toon. But that being said... Toon?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends on your kids to be honest. My first was MERP (which in retrospect may not have been the best choice). There are a lot of games that have simplified stuff for kiddies. What sort of things are your kids into? What sort of shows do they watch?
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

As others have said, it depends on the kids.

Third Eye Games has one called Mermaid Adventures that Eloy wrote to play with his kids.

Troll Lord, of Castles and Crusades fame, also has Harvesters, somewhat in the vein of Brian Jacques Redwall books.

I have played Castles and Crusades with kids as young as 8. Once they get the basic idea ("Roll a d20, and get as high as possible."), they get into the game, and enjoy telling the story.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    It depends on your kids to be honest. My first was MERP (which in retrospect may not have been the best choice). There are a lot of games that have simplified stuff for kiddies. What sort of things are your kids into? What sort of shows do they watch?
    The kids are into a pretty wide variety of disparate things, but they all have wild imaginations and enjoy imagination-based play or I wouldn't even attempt this experiment.

As for what is on the table:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Jurassic World
    MLP
    I have one neice who is morbid enough that I see her one day being a necromancer, absolutely. She's 7. Also the MLP fan.
    I have weird neices and nephews.

Of course, stories about princesses and knights and dragons are also much enjoyed, and general kids stuff is usually a hit.

I'll start looking into the suggestions I have already. Thanks to everyone who has offered an idea!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Isn't there a Pathinder derivative all about Ponies? Check that out. (And pre-gen characters, because otherwise it'll be confusing as heck.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    The kids are into a pretty wide variety of disparate things, but they all have wild imaginations and enjoy imagination-based play or I wouldn't even attempt this experiment.

As for what is on the table:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Jurassic World
    MLP
    I have one neice who is morbid enough that I see her one day being a necromancer, absolutely. She's 7. Also the MLP fan.
    I have weird neices and nephews.

Of course, stories about princesses and knights and dragons are also much enjoyed, and general kids stuff is usually a hit.

I'll start looking into the suggestions I have already. Thanks to everyone who has offered an idea!
    Blue Rose is fairly good for that (I personally loathe the setting, but it is fairly kid friendly). There's an MLP game, as people have said. Palladium made both a Jurrasicy one and a TMNT game if I recall, but those are Palladium and may have a rough learning curve (they may also be completely out of print, since it I haven't looked at them in several years).

You might also try something universal... Like Mutants and Masterminds or GURPS, so that way you can combine fantasy worlds. Kids tend to be huge fans of mashups, and with a universal system you could theoretically work in multiple things they're into.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Palladium made both a Jurrasicy one and a TMNT game if I recall, but those are Palladium and may have a rough learning curve (they may also be completely out of print, since it I haven't looked at them in several years).
    Palladium had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license ages ago, putting out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness, in a couple different revisions. That went on to form the core of their non-licensed game After the Bomb, which was originally a post-apocalyptic setting for TMNT. They also had Transdimensional Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which included rules for mutant dinosaurs and the like.

Both the TMNT books are out of print, the license long gone. After the Bomb might still be available some places... note that, if you're looking for the full RPG, you want the one with the greyish cover of an elephant throwing a giant robot, not the orangish-reddish cover of a man in armor shooting a mutant bird... the orange-red one is the supplement to TMNT, not a stand-alone game.

And, as with AMFV, I wouldn't heavily suggest them. While they have some good ideas and can be played light, character creation is a little intensive and that can turn folks off.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Finland has Astraterra and Myrskyn Sankarit. The latter is available in English as Age of the Tempest. They're both targeted specifically to kids and beginning players. I don't know a whole lot of Astraterra (it's sort of a dreamy sci-fi game) but I've heard good things about it. Age of Tempest is a pretty simple d20 game in a basic fantasy setting, spiritually similar to BECMI.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I've successfully run a few Fudge games for kids, mostly because it's my go to system and works well in general. If you want something D&Dish, try Warrior Rogue and Mage.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've successfully run a few Fudge games for kids, mostly because it's my go to system and works well in general. If you want something D&Dish, try Warrior Rogue and Mage.
    I still say a universal system would be best since kids love mashups. But if you are set on a D&D thing I second the vote for something retrocloney.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Kobold

I could do that, yeah. I just don't want character creation to take too long. Kids + tasks that require long periods of concentration = (usually) a bad time.

But I may try FUDGE or FATE accelerated. Also thinking of just brewing something fast and easy. But I'll keep looking.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I could do that, yeah. I just don't want character creation to take too long. Kids + tasks that require long periods of concentration = (usually) a bad time.

But I may try FUDGE or FATE accelerated. Also thinking of just brewing something fast and easy. But I'll keep looking.
    One good option for kids is to pre-build characters. The character creation is pretty involved, and kids aren't likely to be picky enough that it'll matter too much (again depending on your kids). If I'm playing with younger folks that tends to be my strategy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does anybody have a link to teddy bear heroes (created on this site). I wouldn't use it for 7-10, but it jumped to mind.

The one thing I thought it needed was to make the PCs [a specific child's] teddy bear (change to whatever said child is bonded to), and let them control other toys [belonging to "their" child] as NPCs. This lets the teddy bear have pretty much all the available powers without overshadowing other players.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I still say a universal system would be best since kids love mashups. But if you are set on a D&D thing I second the vote for something retrocloney.
    I don't disagree, and there's a reason I went with Fudge for that. It's universal, it's rules light, and I've successfully used it for the sorts of bizarre off the wall stuff that even GURPS struggles with.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You might want to check out Mouse Guard.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I heard good things about Dread. it work by roleplay, making choices and jenga. The time it was on table top it was really fun and engaging.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I heard good things about Dread. it work by roleplay, making choices and jenga. The time it was on table top it was really fun and engaging.
    Apparently, the creator of Dread also did Dread House which is a relative, but designed for kids?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Go with 1st edition DnD. Roll 3D6 six times in order for your traits. Doesn't get much simpler.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Having done so, successfully, I could recommend Paranoia. Specifically, "zap" paranoia where it's all anout screwing your buddy over and not about the intrigue.
    "Okay. None of you are the same team. You're your own team. Steal the realfood cookies from the cookie jar. don't get caught."
    "I speak with a voice that will never move others, I speak with a passion that will never be heard." - Kreia, KOTOR II

"I must remind them of the drama of it all." - V, V for Vendetta

Well, what's it goin' tae be, lads? Shall ay fid'le th' fid'le er fid'le yer innards?

Spoiler: GitP published Homebrew
    Show
    WARPATHS (PEACH, WIPish): Pathfinder centered martial class boost

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Shadows: http://mozai.com/writing/not_mine/shadows.html
    Super simple, but a really good system that helps the story build on itself. If you can, try and make sure there are at least three players so that token bidding wars happen.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Kobold

Shadows is absolutely fascinating and I think I will try it, definitely.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Witch Girl Adventures is meant to be for kids.

Kids probably won't even notice how ****ed up the default setting is!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I say just use an older version of D&D like AD&D and simplify terms

for example, when you encounter a kobold, call him a lizard man, I know there is already that, but they will understand more

For the classes Cleric, Monk, Ranger, and Paladin, change the names to something they will understand such as Priest, Black Belt or Karate Master, Hunter, and Knight

Make your own campaign, something like, "go save Princess Sara from the evil wizard Generic Badguy for King Steve and Queen Jane, and fight his army of monsters while your at it, but while you prepare to leave, left hand man Gary tells you that Rodney the coffee stain told him that only a magical holy sword can kill him"

So their quest begins

Also, keep human enemies to a minimum, killing a slime is fun, but they may not want to end the life of a bandit, even if he is evil
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I say just use an older version of D&D like AD&D and simplify terms

for example, when you encounter a kobold, call him a lizard man, I know there is already that, but they will understand more
    Point of Order, in older editions of D&D Kobolds are dog men, not lizard men.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Point of Order, in older editions of D&D Kobolds are dog men, not lizard men.
    I'm sorry, I have not read the older monster manuals
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

I found that First Fable is pretty simple, and I believe free in DriveThrough as a bundle. I can't link yet, but just google First Fable and look for the bundle in DTRPG. Might be worth checking out as it's designed for kids in that age range.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Moldvay Basic (B/X) or Red Box Mentzer Basic (BECMI). The all-time classics for "first TRPG."

Or heck, 5e. I've seen a few 8-12 year-olds do pretty well with it in Adventurers' League.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Also, keep human enemies to a minimum, killing a slime is fun, but they may not want to end the life of a bandit, even if he is evil
    This shouldn't be necessary. Most kids have no qualms about killing people. Give most kids a 'sword' and tell them they can do whatever they want and watch them go on a murderous spree. Kids can be scary, I think it's a result of not yet fully understanding what a human life is really worth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    This shouldn't be necessary. Most kids have no qualms about killing people. Give most kids a 'sword' and tell them they can do whatever they want and watch them go on a murderous spree. Kids can be scary, I think it's a result of not yet fully understanding what a human life is really worth.
    Well then, just ignore that last note