New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Dragon age - Would the Tevinter Imperium receive mage immigrants?

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

On topic, an unhappy apostate mage from Ferelden decides to run away to a place where mages are not feared but celebrated The Tevinter Imperium. Would he be welcomed there?

I mean they are kind of evil and have slaves, but they really love magic it is a form of status there.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Dragon age - Would the Tevinter Imperium receive mage immigrants?

Is this for an actual roleplaying game or just a thought exercise? If the former it should be fine. If the latter, there is a subforum for non-tabletop games you can request the thread be moved to.

Anyway, they certainly would welcome mage immigrants. Mages are a valuable resource, and while non-native mages would probably not be treated with the same respect as local mages, at least at first, they are certainly not going to deliberately alienate them. Now, what happens if the mage decides they don't like the more unsavory parts of the Imperium...
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Inquisition deals with this to some degree. Spoiler ahead for anyone who has yet to play.

Spoiler
    Show
    A group of mages requests assistance from the Tevinter Imperium during the events of Inquisition. Magister Gereon Alexius takes them in...for reasons...but it is revealed in the course of the quest that the mages, being not born in Tevinter, are required to undergo a period of indentured servitude before being given rights as citizens.

Furthermore, speaking to Dorian about how things are in Tevinter reveals that only mages from important families actually have much power and influence. A weak person, or one not cut out for power struggles and intrigue, may have it worse as a mage in Tevinter than a normal person, because as a mage, they become a target for all manner of plots and schemes.
    -Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
    Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Tevinters also tend to look their noses down on southerners and southerners in general consider Fereldans just one step away from being barbarians. So, I imagine a Fereldan mage would face a lot of prejudice in the Imperium, as well.