New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default what can you do when you're on the ground?

other than, basically, "getting up provokes an attack of opportunity" and "crawling provokes an attack of opportunity" i can't really find much about what you can do when you're on the ground, like if you get tripped or something, or if you get dropped in combat and then get healed. is there any material that someone can point me to that talks about what you can do if you're on the ground? like can you draw out a wand and fire it at your opponent? can you cast spells from the ground? is there anything about this in the books? please point me in the right direction.

thanks

dave
    I used to have super powers but my therapist took them away.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: what can you do when you're on the ground?

I don't know if it's 100% correct or not, but I always allow my PC's to take their 5-foot step as a free action to roll 5 feet in the opposite direction of their opponent to stand up.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    I don't know if it's 100% correct or not, but I always allow my PC's to take their 5-foot step as a free action to roll 5 feet in the opposite direction of their opponent to stand up.
    That is not correct. While you're prone you can't take a five-foot step. You can't tumble either.

However, you CAN make normal attacks without provoking an attack of opportunity. You take a -4 penalty to your attacks though.

Also of note is your -4 AC penalty against mele and +4 AC bonus against ranged attacks.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quickened dimension door?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Using wands and similar on the floor is fine, and wouldn't provoke an AoO. Similarly spellcasting would be as normal. Also, you could just go for a grapple - that would provoke an AoO anyway, so you lose nothing, and could either bring your opponent down to where you are, or lift yourself up. And a trip attempt wouldn't have any side effects :)
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge