A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Results 391 to 408 of 408
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Sure, I guess we'll message...you... one of the elves replies.

    You didn't prepare Overland Flights today?


    What, with the knowledge there'd be buggers flying all around, zooming on carpets? I did prepare Tree Strides and a few Acorn Teleport though...

    Get to it! We'll follow them best we can. Damned if I wont...


    Their voices soon fade into the rush of wind at Tai's directions.

    Spoiler: Stegyre, Swami
    Show

    I encourage you both to make Perception & Survival checks to look for tracks. The Latter skill will be penalized, but still worth it...
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-02-22 at 09:11 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Tai

    Racing along, Tai does the best he can to "follow his nose" as well as looking for other traces of recent passing: broken twigs and branches, bent grasses. "That way, I think," he points for Alala.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+14)[22]
    Survival - (1d20+20)[32] (spending an inspiration point on this one) -- looks like scent allows Tai to ignore poor visibility and effects of surface conditions when tracking but doesn't provide any modifiers of its own. He's just avoiding those negative modifiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+13)[25]
    Survival (1d20)[9]
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    With starts and stops along the way, Tai manages to gather their scent. The trail is roughly a day old, and winds through the outskirts of the steppes through treacherous terrain. The blasted land in front of you is a stony, sandy ocean, and in certain spots along the way, the ground does not shift; there are crude wooden platforms, usually empty, but occasionally they have the remains--bones or even dessicated, rotting flesh--or elves. Even in decay, though, the smell is vaguely pleasant.

    The travelers have been moving in starts-and-stops. Omar begins to notice a likeness among the trail: that when the altars flatten out and stabilize the steppes in a wider area, the trees nearby are tagged. They could watch for those, and be led to them.

    Ahead of you, only about a mile away, by Alala's estimation--the spectral dragon arcs in its flight. Flashes of blue lightning arc over it again and again. As it dives downward, a column of blinding white flame illuminates the sky. The translucent creature dives into a crackling bolt of blue lightning and disappears from your line of sight.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-03-01 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More Info about the distant actions
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    As Alala and her two companions rush towards the ongoing conflict, Tai notices several figures in the distance, hovering near some of the shifting hills. They have tan clothes and ride carpets the same color--excellent disguises--and have since avoided detection. Their vantage point is clear, and their arms sparkle with barely-visible magical energies.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Greyverse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Tai

    "Psst! Trouble!" Tai whispers to Alala and Omar. "Our elf friends have been trying to avoid being seen from the sky, so I expect anything flying is not going to be good to us. Look there, among those hills, carpet riders. They're hard to make out, because of their clothing, but I suggest we go invisible again." He prepares to slip down into the extradimensional space of Alala's saddlebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    "You don't have to explain, " Alala tells Tai as she activates the invisibility again. "Slaves aren't exactly trained to question instructions. Do we keep going, though, or do you think we need to do something about the carpet riders?"

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Omar also fades out of view...

    "Watch for markers on the trees... it may be some kind of path."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    As you all crest a ridge in the guise of invisibility, you soon approach within a thousand feet of a wreckage below you. A huge skeletal dragon lies downed and seeping a translucent ichor that burns the ground. A man nearby has much of his legs are burned away, and his clothes are blackened crisps. Bone is visible on various parts of his body; Watt examines the man, and nearby Verin and Jerid look like they're recovering from an extended fight. Jerid in particular has several large patches of his body where his flesh, too, has been seared away.

    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-03-24 at 08:08 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Area: Arena at Ren'Alliss, southern My'Lith'ar
    Population: Currently 3
    Objective: Fist-fight to the death.

    Illion fishes in his robes and pulls out two bags.

    My queen, I have much to tell you. The Odium is here! They have a--
    Quiet, mutters the priest. A spectral hand manifests near the orc-elf, inserts two fingers into Dob'llarion's mouth and clamps around his head and throat. The orc-elf, muffled, can do little but try to breathe, as the hand barely give him room to breathe through his nostrils.

    No more questions. We're going to get started. Both of you, clothes off, and put them into your respective bags. He tosses them onto the ground near each of you.

    We'll hold all of your items. There will be no magic for this duel, nothing.

    ...Lancer, if you'll instruct me on the proper knots here, we can get started.


    Spoiler: help?
    Show

    I'm not sure on the exact mechanics of this, here. Whoiam, how would this go in a PbP?
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Spoiler: help?
    Show

    Standard combat and/or grappling, for the most part. When the two combatants move far enough apart to pull the rope taut, any further movement (except towards their opponent) goes by the 'moving during a grapple' rules, I'd think? Seems the most core way to do it.


    Alala, busy shedding her equipment (the magic horseshoes aren't especially easy to remove yourself, after all), will respond to the question about knots, "Whatever knot you like; If the rope comes loose, you pause us until it can be retied." She would have named a knot if she knew any, sadly that's one of her 0-rated skills...

    ...So what she does instead, is flash a grin at Dobson. "So you've heard of them too, huh? Well, it's not that bad. My colleagues outside the arena heard Eurykhrys' testimony as well - they'll get the news out if neither of us manages to. All we need to worry about right now is how your 'grudge' ends..."

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Dobson growls, That old hag is nothing but a liar. Your friend Omar has been hiding a piece of the Odium for some time. It must be destroyed.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    "And how would you know? Your goons were too busy counting the market value of her body parts to actually listen to anything she may have said. But go on, tell me your version. I'd rather report both versions to someone who could work out which is which than let one version die when we might have needed it..."

    Question first. Break his jaw later. It never worked too well the other way around...

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Dobllarion gives you a haunted look. It reminds Alala of her past: not everyone who entered the Arena has had a great life, or even made good choices. Some bear the weight of a deeply troubled story. The kind that, in the arena, someone loses their self just to forget the past, even for a little bit of time. If they did it right, they were the desperate and dangerous type: they had nothing to live for, and would risk everything to win or die.

    I've instructed someone in my retinue to give your companions my journal. Let's get ready to dance. Veins and muscle-barriers of Dobllarion's arms and legs start to glow red. They emerge, looking like odd tattoos worked into the orc-elf's body. He pulls the rope taut and yanks a mighty tug.

    Spoiler: Actions & Maths
    Show

    Alala's Grapple Mod: +24?
    Alala's AC: 18

    Dob's Grapple Mod: +17
    Dob's AC: 20
    ------------------------------------
    Swift: Activates "full-body runes"

    Standard (?) Yanks at range to throw Alala off-balance or "trip"

    (1d20+21)[37] +4 Imp. Trip - Dob
    (1d20+28)[33] +4 vs Trip - Alala
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-05-02 at 04:00 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Alala was readying a reply to Dobson's last comment when the tug came... catching the Centaur completely by surprise, and yanking her forelegs out from under her.

    She laughed at that.

    Well, you had to, really, didn't you? Especially when you realise you're dressed in little more than your underwear while sticking your arse up at the representatives of an elven clan....


    Still, just because the situation was amusing didn't mean she'd take that lying down. It's hard to yank back in that position, if nothing else. Still, standing up is easy (when your only opponent is still several meters away), and it gave her a chance to reply in kind... Not by going for a trip, but just giving the rope an almighty yank to try and draw Dobson in...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Standing up is a move action, and at far ends of the rope, Dobson (probably) doesn't have anything that'll allow an AOO.
    Standard action - Grapple check to move Dobson into a square adjacent to her via rope pull:
    "Alala's Grapple" - (1d20+24)[29]
    "Dobson's Grapple" - (1d20+17)[23]

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Now that they are next to each other, Dobson stands nimbly stands back up after being dragged.

    He reaches in to strike at Alala with a fist.

    Spoiler: Actions & Maths
    Show

    Nimble Stand Skill Trick (No AoO for standing from prone)

    Attacks Alala (unarmed):
    (1d20+13)[18]
    (1d4+6)[8] (oh man this is gonna take so long)

    ------------------------------------
    Alala's Grapple Mod: +24
    Alala's AC: 18

    Dob's Grapple Mod: +17
    Dob's AC: 20
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    Alala definitely felt that blow... but even the half-orc's fists weren't likely to lay her out in one go. Twenty, maybe...

    Then again, the same was probably true in reverse - this had slugging match all over it. She'd take those odds, though. Her technique might be a little rough, but she had a trick or two up her sleeve! Like the traditional response to someone squaring up to you in the pub: The wild (usually drunken) headbutt!

    Spoiler
    Show

    Using her Rabid Wolf strike. Alala's AC reduces to 14 for 1 round in return for +4 to attack and +2d6 damage.
    "Unarmed Attack" - (1d20+23)[31]
    "Unarmed Damage" - (1d4+10)[14]
    "Rabid Wolf Strike Damage" - (2d6)[6]

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: In Search of Humanity - Finding the Parts

    The exchange back and forth is brutal. The half-orc half-elf does his best to evade and dodge her blows while aiming at Alala's torso. Unable to defend against Alala's superior hoof-reach and gladiatorial expertise, he lasts only a few flurries of exchanges. In less than a single minute, he lies unconscious, with his face a bloody mess and several ribs that are cracked, Dob does not get up.

    Illion steps forward, a hand upraised but little more. You have won this fight, warrior Alala; Well done. It is considered honorable to bring your quarry closer to the crowd in the circumstance of a fight-to-the death; this allows the crowd to witness a sure kill.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika


    more

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •