Default [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

The Lord of Mantas presents
    A Pathfinder Tabletop RPG Adventure

Chapter Select

Prologue/Tutorial: Carnival of Doom
    Chapter 1: Reborn in Darkness
    Chapter 2: Wake Up and Smell the Ashes
    Chapter 3: Beyond All Spheres of Force and Matter

The dawn came, and with it, a sense of somber jubilation - contradictory as that might seem to our ears.

The day was the 31st of Tiuman, the tenth month of the year 2150 After Awakening. With the first cold gray light of the morning, and the promise of the season’s first snowfall just around the corner, the chanting and singing of clerics and monks filled the air in Gottenburg. It was the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War on Hell, that catastrophic time in Eldin’s history where the infernal pit of the outer sphere had split open, and its infernal denizens had crossed over to the material plane to bring death and destruction to all. It was a day of sorrow for what had happened. A day of remembrance for all those who had fallen trying to protect the world. A day of respect to remember everyone who had died in the past year, irrespective of the ultimate cause.

And a day of jubilation that even with everything that had been thrown their way, the planet of Eldin – and the nation of Bastion which resided upon it – had survived.

Shuffling out of their homes, every man, woman, and child made their way to the nearest place of worship within Gottenburg. Shrine, chapel, church, or even one of the three great cathedrals - the Basilica du Legem, Temple Pacifica, and the Sanctum du Libertas - all were packed to the rafters, and, for those who were lucky enough to possess flight, even in the rafters. All listened attentively as the servants of the aspects, from the humblest cleric to Archon Iyeronim V himself (who gave a rather stirring sermon at the Temple Pacifica), conducted special masses in honor of the festival, emphasizing the importance of celebrating those who yet lived and the need to honor and remember the sacrifices of the dead. Several hours later, at 11:00, services ended with yet more raucous pealing of the bells.

And that was when the Festival of Matronacht really began to get into full swing.

The entire population of Gottenburg surged back onto the streets, and, in the case of those who had attended mass in the Third Circle, the entirety of Procession Way was shut down and close off to allow for the city to prepare for what many considered to be the highlight of the day. Until then, however, people returned to their homes, donning costumes and going out to celebrate, buy street food, dance in the plazas, and prepare for the second biggest highlight of the day - the Running of the Devils.

Gottenburg was famous throughout the continent of Teien, and indeed the entire world of Eldin, for being the center of arcane research, and one of its many applications was in practical effects. Using a mixture of illusions and real disguises, trained performers would dress up as demons, large and small, and then 'chase' a procession of performers costumed as refugees and soldiers through the entire town of Gottenburg - all the way from the entrance of the gates of Gottenburg, in between the Fifth and Sixth Circles of the town, and then through each of the concentric circles that formed its sectors clockwise until it reached the gates of the Heavenly Palace, at the entrance of the First Circle. Along the way, they would menace and growl at children along the streets, who would repel them with sacred pastries known as Cornetins - resulting in a shower of sparks and candy flying out of the performers chests, to their great delight.

At long last, the devils and demons arrived at the entrance to the 1st Circle, just across the Plaza of Balance from the Temple Pacifica, where they engaged yet more perfomers - this time dressed as Angels and Holy Knights - in a final great battle, culminating in their firey and spectacular demise, which was in turn greeted by the raucous applause of the citizenry. This only increased as, with great ceremony, Archon Iyeronim V stepped onto the balcony to give a final greeting to the people of Gottenburg.

"It is always a somber occasion, my good children, when I step out upon this balcony. Another autumn has come and passed, and soon the snows of winter will be upon us. As always, throughout our great city, and throughout all of Bastion, many have died over the past year, to join the holy angels in heaven or be condemned to the firey pits of hell that once disgorged their contents over the hills and valleys of this land. Such is the way of life - just as one day, all lives awaken to the world, so must they one day end."

"But throughout it all, be it mundane or unholy, Bastion has always stood strong against death! Through the power of the Aspects, we have prevailed! Through the will and strength of its people, we have prevailed! And with the power of Arcana, we have prevailed!"

Applause rang out once more, though at the mention of Arcana some saw it dull slightly.

"And speaking of, I would like to congratulate the theater students of Myrkvi University for putting on a tremendous show for this years Running of the Devils. And now, since I'm sure you're all eager for it to get started..." Archon Iyeronim held out a handkerchief from his balcony."As ruler of this city, and Archon of all Bastion, I declare the Grand Carnival of Souls Open!"

The handkerchief dropped. Elsewhere, a ceremonial filade of cannons was fired. And the people, on both the second and fourth circles of, surged toward the entrances to the third, where throughout Procession Way, all the way around the city, the Grand Carnival of Souls was held each year. It was one of the biggest on the entire continent, and a massive source of celebration for all.

Six brave souls, in particular, would find this carnival to be an absolute scream.

Aldric and Calantha

Having been on the southern side of the Second Circle, right in front of the Sanctum du Libertas, the brother and sister Elmdore elected to make their way around the great Cathedral of Change to the southern entrance to the Carnival. The wait was comparatively short, as many became enchanted by their mixed smell of lilies and cloves and allowed them to pass. As they walked, a few briefly caught sight of the shifting red eyes that indicated their fiendish heritage, but said nothing, instead opting to shy away.

They eventually reached the ticket booth, which was manned by a very tall, gaunt elven man. Through the ticket booth, they could see a few of the attractions - in particular, a very large arena that was set up for what appeared to be a joust of some sort.

"Welcome to the Carnival of Souls. Adults are 5 silver each, children 2 silver each, and uniformed Custos Pacem or Military 1 silver each."

Juno

Having been on the northern side of the Second Circle, right in front of the Basilica du Legem, Juno made her way around the great Cathedral of Order to the northern entrance to the Carnival. The wait was almost nonexistent, as her massive, beautiful white wings caused entire crowds to part before her, many almost bowing down to her (to her great irritation).

Reaching the ticket booth, which was manned by a lanky 15-year-old boy with brown hair and freckles, Juno could see a few of the attractions - in particular, a massive and quite spooky-looking roller coaster, the renowned Highway to Hell.

"Welcome to the Carnival of Souls, the spookiest carnival of all! Adults are 5 silv..." It was at this point that the lad trailed off, his mouth gaping open as he stood seemingly captivated by the young paladin's beauty.

Snorri

Having been on the East Side of the Second Circle, right in front of the Temple Pacifica, Snorri elected to make his way around the great Cathedral of Balance to the eastern entrance to the Carnival. The wait was comparatively short, as several people, recognizing his celestial heritage, graciously allowed him to pass in front of them - and more than one cute girl asking to rub his hair or hand for good luck.

He eventually reached the ticket booth, which was manned by a very short, voluptous dwarven with fire-red hair and a large smile. Through the ticket booth, he could see a few of the attractions - in particular, the legendary inn, tavern, and restaurant known as The Steam-Powered Stein, noted for being a frequent stop of the Söngvari Hópur, and where a grand musician's competition was being held as part of the festivities.

"Welcome to the Grand Carnival of Souls, the spookiest carnival of all! Adults are 5 silver each, Children 2 each, uniformed Custos Pacem or Armed Forces 1 each."

Octavia

Having been on the northeast side of the Second Circle, in the Plaza of Victory outside of the Sanctuary of Swords, "Octavia" made her way to the northeastern entrance to the carnival. The wait was long, but through clever dexterity and bluffing, she managed to worm her way to the front without anyone noticing.

She eventually reached the ticket booth, which was manned by a pair - a Moogle and a Goblin. Through the ticket booth, she could see a few of the attractions - in particular, what appeared to be some kind of Freak Show caught her eye.

"Welcome to the Grand Carnival of Souls, where the haunted houses are spooky and their denizens are spookier!" The goblin (who sounded female) and moogle threw out their arms, clearly proud of their routine. "Adults are 5 silver each, Children 2 silver each, and uniformed Custos Pacem or Armed Forces 1 each."

Amala

Having been on the southeast side of the Second Circle, across from the Grand Mausoleum, Amala Silvia Corvina - or, as she preferred, Amy - made her way to the southeast entrance to the carnival. The wait, as was to be expected, was long, but through clever maneuvering, she managed to keep the wait to an absolute minimum.

She eventually reached the ticket booth, which was manned by, of all things, a Warforged, its metallic face wholly impassive. Through the ticket booth, she could see a few of the attractions - in particular, a rather large and dilapidated looking haunted house caught her eye.

"WELCOME TO THE GRAND CARNIVAL OF SOULS. ADULTS ARE 5 SILVER EACH, CHILDREN 2 SILVER EACH, AND UNIFORMED CUSTOS PACEM OR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES 1 SILVER EACH."

Everyone

It was now 3:00 PM. Many hours lay ahead until the Carnival would be done, and there were 2 hours until sundown.

What do you do?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And yes, the lack of a title card is deliberate. Maps are free with entry, if what you see in front of you doesn't appeal to you. :)

Have fun!
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-08-16 at 08:52 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

Amy

Okay! Plushies first. Then food, then rides. After that, games, whatever shows are playing, and back to buying souvenirs... Wait... Food before rides is a bad idea. So then it'd be plushies, then rides, then food. And after that-

"WELCOME TO THE GRAND CARNIVAL OF SOULS. ADULTS ARE 5 SILVER EACH, CHILDREN 2 SILVER EACH, AND UNIFORMED CUSTOS PACEM OR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES 1 SILVER EACH."
    Amy found herself suddenly jolted out of her internal itinerary by the realization that she had at last reached the ticket booth.

"Oh! Hey that discount doesn't extend to family does it? Ah, actually that's okay... Just one adult please, and a map if that's alright."

Without waiting for a reply she reached for her purse and fished out the appropriate payment. After handing it over and moving on through the gate, she glanced around at her immediate surroundings.

Right, so plushies first... hmm?

Her train of thought derailed as she noticed the haunted house attraction now almost directly in front of her. She had to admit it did look fun, and there was plenty of time. With a shrug she hurried across the way to investigate. Might as well enjoy the attraction while she was in the area.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

After a few futile attempts to take her correct place in line, Juno stepped up to the young man and listened to his spiel... or tried to. As he trailed off, Juno waited a polite second or two. Giving up, she made an effort to give him the right prompt, making sure to smile. "Are you alright? Five silver for an adult?" She fished the appropriate amount of money from her belt pouch and offered it to him. "Here you go, sir."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Snorri made his way through the line, smiling at all the attention. The girls meant no harm, and the attention was fun. An idea came into his head just then, as he thought about the musician's competition. "Good day, ladies!" he said to the fawning attention. "I plan to be at The Steam-Powered Stein in short order...if you wish to see - and hear - more of me, Snorri Silfurlag, that is!" As he approached the counter where the female dwarf handled admittance, he flashed her a grin. "Ticket for one adult, if you please. Oh, and a map. After the Stein, I want to wander." The Bard handed over the money to the dwarf, and stepped inside, making for The Steam-Powered Stein.

Show
    Marked off 5s for entry.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-12-24 at 07:47 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

There was so much to see at the Carnival. "Octavia" had no idea how anyone could see it all, even if they hadn't had to spend time disguising themselves and sneaking out. She had spent most of the past hour just walking around the carnival trying to see everything while not seeming to stare too much. But it was time to try looking at the actual attractions. This one looked like as good a place to start as any. Octavia walked over and took out her money, smiling silently as she did so.

She wasn't going to forget this day for a long time.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric & Callie

"Do I look like a uniformed child to you?" Aldric briefly fixes the elf with his good eye. His suddenly sour disposition melts in an instant as he looks down to his sister and lays a gloved hand a over her shoulder.

"Do you want to see the joust? Maybe it's just me, but mounted combat no longer has the allure it once did."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-12-24 at 07:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aldric & Callie

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Aldric & Callie

"Do I look like a uniformed child to you?" Aldric briefly fixes the elf with his good eye. His suddenly sour disposition melts in an instant as he looks down to his sister and lays a gloved hand a over her shoulder.

"Do you want to see the joust? Maybe it's just me, but mounted combat no longer has the allure it once did."

"Oh, don't mind my brother, he's just being cranky~" Calantha flashes a winning smile at the elderly elf before meeting her brother's gaze.

"I don't mind a joust, but it seems a bit mundane, don't you think? For something that's supposed to be so first-class and famous. Besides, this place is absolutely massive. I'm sure we can find something you'll enjoy."

She pauses, then blinks, then squeezes her brother's hand. "Ah — so sorry, got a tickle in my throat. Now, are you going to pay, or shall I?"

Assuming Aldric pays, they enter the Carnival.
    Last edited by hi-mi-tsu; 2015-12-24 at 07:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aldric and Calantha

The wizened old elf raised an eyebrow at Aldric's outburst of grumpiness, but otherwise said nothing as he took their payment for the tickets.

"Maps are free with any ticket purchase, and all revelers receive this 5 silver off coupon for the Forum of Frightful Foodstuffs. Enjoy your afternoon."

All of this was delivered in the same, dry monotone.

Juno

Taking Juno's money wordlessly, the young teenager handed her a map and what appeared to be a 5 silver coupon off for the 'Forum of Frightful Foodstuffs' through sheer mechanical repetition, never once taking his slack-jawed stare off her face.

"...so beautiful..."

Clapping his hands over his mouth as he realized he'd spoken out loud, the youth ran in a panic into one of the tents marked 'Staff Only'.

Octavia

Happily taking Octavia's money, the goblin and the moogle handed her a small bunch of paper back.

"A map is free with purchase!"

"This coupon too, as well!"

"It's for the Forum of Frightful Foodstuffs!"

"Right next to the Angel's Arcade!"

Even with most of her face concealed by her beak-like mask, the goblin (one of the smooth-skinned, green variety), promptly gave the moogle a look of utter exasperation before smacking him upside the head.

"You were supposed to say 'The Gates of Hell', Moggon. I thought we rehearsed this!"

"But Fezzox, the Highway to Hell is in the North sector of the Carnival, kupo!"

"Yes, but it doesn't rhyme! We need to rhyme on a dime, skooooh!"

Moggon and Fezzox continued to argue briefly, each slipping further and further back into their native accent (and verbal tic) before beginning a brief slap fight. 30 seconds of this had passed before they realized that Octavia was still present, and they dusted themselves off shamefacedly before clearing their throats.

"Um, have a Merry Christmas - er, I mean, spooktacular time, kuskooh!"

Snorri

The dwarf continued to smile as she accepted Snorri's payment. "Maps are free with the purchase of any ticket, sir, so you're in luck. On top of that, festival goers are also getting a 5 silver off coupon for the Forum of Frightly Foodstuffs this year!" She handed him these things, then gave a little bow. "Have a spooktacular time!"

Making his way across the way and into The Steam-Powered Stein, Snorri opened the aged oaken door and stepped into bedlam. The aroma of various stouts, lagers, ales and porters was all there, of course, along with the sweat and perfume of those hoping to see the best, brightest, and hottest of Gottenburg sing for them that day, all crowded around the stage located at the far end of the world-famous tavern. Peeking through the crowd, Snorri made his way over to what looked like an official-looking woman writing on a chart of some sort, her raven hair tied back in a bun. Looking up at him through half-moon glasses, she spoke to him in a rather professional tone.

"I'm guessing you're here to compete in the Gottenburg Cantor's Tournament? If so, I'll just need your letter of invitation, please."

Spoiler: OOC - Snorri
    Show
    All entrants to the Tournament recieve this official letter upon successfully submitting the entry fee and being invited officially to compete. You kept yours safe upon your person - where is up to you.

Amilia

"DISCOUNTED RATES FOR FAMILY ARE OFFERED AT A RATE OF 2 SILVER FOR ADULTS AND 1 FOR CHILDREN, BUT WE REQUIRE DUAL CIVILIAN AND MILITARY IDENTIFICATION."

Taking Amilia's money, the Warforged then handed her a small handful of papers.

"MAPS ARE FREE WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY TICKET, AND THIS YEAR ALL FESTIVAL-GOERS ARE BEING PROVIDED WITH A 5 SILVER OFF COUPON FOR THE FORUM OF FRIGHTLY FOODSTUFFS. HAVE A PLEASANT AFTERNOON."

Having secured entrance, Amilia took her first steps into the carnival, weaving her way through the crowd and towards the haunted house. It was thoroughly dilapidated, and eerie lights and screams reverberated through the window as she got close. Waiting in line along with costumed revelers and families with nervous children, she was greeted at the door by an old, wizened hag.

"So... *wheeze* You've come to Old Selka's Shack of Horrors, eh?" The woman gave a hollow, bitter laugh. "It is not some pleasant stroll that you are about to embark upon, child. The things inside... they are horrible things. The collective nightmares of 150 years of suffering and pain, possessing the very wood and timbers of the house itself. If you lack the courage, or the strength... Well, there are other attractions to occupy your time. And if you are expecting a little one, have a debilitation of the heart or respiratory system, or, perhaps, are even incapacitated by flashing lights... Perhaps it is for the best that you move on. Do you still wish to enter?"

Map of the Grand Carnival of Souls
    Welcome to the Grand Carnival of Souls, the most Spooktacular Matronacht Carnival on all of Eldin for 100 years! As you're no doubt aware, this festival takes place entirely within the third of Gottenburg's six great concentrical circular districts, so we've put together this map to better help you find each attraction. There are roughly eight sectors within the carnival, each corresponding to one of the four cardinal directions and their in-betweens.

North
    • Highway to Hell (Roller Coaster)
    • 30th Annual Gottenburg Pie Baking and Tasting Competition (Contest)
    • Percy the Parrotter and Raglan the Rat-Catcher (Performance)

Northeast

• Frederick's Fearsome Freak Show (Freak Show)
    • Ghoulish Gary's Giant Wheel (Ferris Wheel)
    • Clark and Davan's Devils vs. Clanks™ (Contest)
    • Northern Market of Mayhem - With featured vendors Talbot's Trinkets, Clockwork Collin's Calamitous Clanks, and the stylings of Wallabang's Whipping Show! (Shopping/Performance)

East

• 100th Annual Gottenburg Cantor's Tournament - Thanks to Sverdman Solarson of the Söngvari Hópur and The Steam-Powered Stein for hosting! (Contest)
    • Angel's Arcade - Now with the all-new game Devil Hunter's World of Skeet Shooting! (Games)
    • Forum of Frightly Foodstuffs (Shopping)
    • Percival the Not-so-family-friendly Poet (Performance)

Southeast

• Old Selka's Shack of Horrors (Haunted House)
    • Ferdinand Darlok, Master of the Devil's Flame (Performance)
    • Kinetic Karloff, Sword Dancer Extraordinaire (Performance)
    • Southern Bazaar of Bloodcurdles - With featured vendors Poofy Plushies, Wizzbang's Wonderful Toys, and Calambria's Costumes! (Shopping)
    • 100th Annual Gottenburg Liturgical Drama Series - Thanks to the Gottenburg Opera House for hosting! (Performance)

South

• 250th Annual Bastion Jousting Semifinals (Contest)
    • Dretch's Devious Whirlygig (Roller Coaster)
    • 10th Annual Gottenburg Fattest Pig Competiton - Barbecue to be held later! (Contest)
    • Mulchy Mikael's Mudpit Theater (performance)

Southwest

• Lilith and Devahi's Languid Loveboat (Roller Coaster-ish)
    • Katerina's Kastle of Kisses (Attraction)
    • Mystical Myrra Maps the Future (Attraction)
    • Christoph the Questionably Clairvoyant Guesses Your Age and Weight! (Attraction)

West

• Ólafur Plaza - Fireworks to be held starting at Sunset (Attraction)

Northwest

• Adolphus the Amazing Strongman - Compete with one of the world's strongest men in tests of strength, or just do them by yourself for a lark!(Contest)
    • Billowing Bumpers (Roller Coaster/Attraction)
    • Hrattáin River Rapids (Roller Coaster)
    • The Glaive of Háheilög (Roller Coaster)
    • 25th Annual Amateur Arcanist's Tournament - Thanks to Myrkvi University for sponsoring! (Contest)

Spoiler: OOC - Navigating and Enjoying the Grand Carnival of Souls
    Show
    Enjoying an attraction takes roughly 20 minutes.
    Shopping takes roughly 10 minutes.
    Moving between adjacent sectors takes roughly 5 minutes.

Spoiler: OOC - Question Regarding Post Formatting
    Show
    Do you guys prefer it when I put posts specifically for one player out in the open, like in this one, or in spoiler boxes, like the first one?
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-25 at 06:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

"Oh, ah, thank y-" Juno paused as the lad began his histrionics. "That's not-! Aaaaand he's gone." The paladin paused. He had her money, right? She could walk in? The food smelled delicious...

Then she glanced behind her to see the thickening crowd, most of them scowling in the direction of the young man's flight. "Oh." There were an awful lot of them, and growing by the minute. "Ohhhhh." She sighed. Does this mean I'm in charge? Keep them all here somehow? They deserve entertainment too, and you know you can't dance. Free entry for everyone! Wait - no, that screws over the carnival workers and vendors. Um... Um..."

Five seconds later, Juno stood behind the ticked booth. "Welcome to the Carnival of Souls! Adults are five silver each! Children are two silver each! Anyone who can tell me what the rate was for Uniformed Custos Pacem or Military gets my ticket!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

As he stepped inside the Stein, Snorri inhaled deeply, absorbing the sights, sounds, and smells of one of the foremost establishments for those of his small and loosely affiliated circle of Storytellers. Making his way toward the woman who he assumed was the person in charge of organizing the night's competition, he swept off his hat and bowed low. "Good evening! Snorri Silfurlag, and I am your humble servant! You are indeed correct: I am here for the Cantor's Tournament." Snorri drew open his bag and fished around. Smiling fondly as his hand dove past the plushie of Ásta, he grasped and withdrew the letter of invitation. As he presented it to the woman, he flashed her a smile. "I didn't catch your name, miss..."

11. - Top - End - #11

Juno

The woman behind Juno, a Gria with short bobbed green hair and what appeared to be some sort of alchemist's outfit, flitted up to the booth.

"I think it's 2 silver for children and 1 for military, but you can keep your ticket. There's no reason someone such as yourself should be forced to man the booth when you didn't sign up for it."

About 5 customers later, what appeared to yelling came out of the ten, and a middle-aged man with balding blond hair and spectacles emerged.

"And try not to screw that up -" But he then stopped at the sight of Juno, blinking. However, he was able to recover much more quickly than the youth had, and recollected himself. "I am so sorry about this, Miss. You'll have to forgive Lars - you know how it is with young men." He handed her a few more slips of paper. "5 gold pieces worth of credit at any of our booths and stores, and one free drink from The Celestial Font, in the food cou- err, Forum of Frightly Foodstuffs. Now, please, go ahead and enjoy the carnival. You deserve it, and thank you for manning the booth."​ He gave a quick bow before shooing her out and resuming ticketing operations.

Show
    A super short update to allow Juno to get back to Carnivaling because I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to post more today. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-26 at 09:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Snorri

"Thalia Ransdottir, at your service. If you'll just step right this way."

Lounging around in the improvised sitting room set up backstage, Snorri found that he had been placed last on the program, with a total of 8 contestants, including himself. The first four proved to be competent, at least by the standards of the tournament, but largely unspectacular, performing four old bard standards: Blow, Northern Wind, Valley Song, Aspects Speed the Plow, and a bawdy little number called Women - which, judging from the chuckels and increased applause, seemed to be the most popular.

Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    The first four contestants chose to play it safe, earning results of 13, 14, 11, and 15, respectively.

The fifth man, a rather swarthy fellow with brown, curled locks, looked somewhat nervous as he went on-stage, sweat visible on his collar as he passed by the aasimar bard. Facing the crowd, he gulped.

"I-I... The song that I'm going to be playing for you today is different from any of my usual ones. This is a little number entitled 'The Bells of Fjolsknacht'."

Hearing the name of the song, Snorri could not help but notice the clear discrepancy - not only was Fjolsknacht celebrated months earlier, but it was very clearly a take on the old and well-beloved standard 'The Bells of Matronacht.'

Spoiler: Fjolksnacht
    Show
    Fjolksnacht, or roughly 'Family Night' in common, has one of the distinctions of not being an 'Official Holiday' by the standards of the government of Bastion (and thus the populace do not automatically receive time off or Government Holiday Pay for the day. It has, however, been gaining increasing traction in recent years, to where some say it may soon receive official recognition. As one might expect from the name, it is a holiday about celebrating and remembering the family, and is usually celebrated via a large meal with one's relatives. As one might expect, this often leads to contact with members of ones family one would rather avoid, which has made great material for aspiring comedians and lead to many considering the holiday something to be dreaded - much like how some dread Thanksgiving dinner on our world.

Spoiler: The Bells of Matronacht
    Show
    One of the first songs to be written about the War on Hell, this hymn is a rather somber one, and is about a young boy seeking shelter when the first alarm bells heralding the arrival of the demons rang. It is somewhat notorious for its sad ending, which has the boy finding his family again - only for them to toss him through the door to shelter seconds before it is shut, leaving them to their fate.

Plucking his lyre, the man began to sing.

"It was a night of utmost fear,
    An eve most fraught with perfect scunner.
    The bells of Fjolsknacht rang aloud,
    To herald my mother-in-law, come to dinner..."

Spoiler: Actions 2
    Show
    Perform (Sing): -1

The audience, as it turned out, was not in the mood for a badly-written parody of a timeless classic. Quickly, the boos began, and the man ran off-stage crying. "I knew I shouldn't have taken that bet!"

The sixth singer, and the only woman, was a great beauty, her long flowing blonde hair draping a willowly and ivory-colored body. Dressed in a costume resembling the robes of an Astral Deva, she sat upon the wooden stool provided for the performer and began to sing.

"All was dark, the stars above snuff'd out like candle flame.
    All was lost, the hearts and minds of men sunken by fear.
    But in time, the silent prayers of hope arose toward hev'n,
    With a flash, the song of angels drifted through our ears..."

And so began the first original composition Snorri had hear thus far at the show, a lilting ballad about the arrival of the first angels.

Spoiler: Actions 3
    Show
    Perform (Sing): (1d20+6)[9]

Unfortunately, by some chance of fate or otherwise, the woman got more than a few notes wrong during the ballad, and briefly had to fumble when the grip slipped on her mandolin. Thanks to her lyrical content, there was no booing, but the applause at the end was little more than a polite golf clap.

Then, it happened. As the seventh singer, seated to Snorri's left, made to get up and go on stage, he pushed himself up...
    "Dprro."

And then promptly fell flat on his face to the floor. Seconds later, a light snore came from him.

"Goodness gracious!"

Making an about face, Snorri was surprised to see a rather shifty-looking teenager standing behind where the man next to him had been sitting.

"The nerves must have gotten to Solarson's head! He must have fainted! Well, heh, lucky I'm here to fill in for him, right?"

Looking at the young man, the way he was comporting himself didn't make it seem as if he was lying... but Snorri recognized that it had been his voice he'd heard right before the now-identified Solarson had fallen over. And was that a scroll of some sort peeking out of his sleeve?..
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-27 at 01:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

"I wasn't aware that was allowed by the rules," Snorri spoke up. "But I'm sure the lovely Miss Thalia Ransdottir would be happy to adjudicate, and - my, what is that scroll in your sleeve?" Snorri raised his voice ever so much, and looked around at the crowd, a mask of shock upon his face.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Amy

Oooooh, collective nightmares of 150 years!

Amy tried her best to wait patiently as the woman finished her pitch.

"Yes! Definitely! Let's do this!"

Hurriedly furnishing the admission fee, Amy all but ran for the entrance to the haunted house.

15. - Top - End - #15

Snorri

At Snorri's words, the eyes of everyone else in the room, which had already been suspicious, zeroed in like a hawk on the teenager.

"Hold on just a moment, now!" said the performer who had previously done Women. Curious noises came from out front as the audience began to hear the argument filtering through the curtains.

"I-I-I don't know what you're talking about! I would never cast a Sleep spel-"

The teenager realized to late what he had said, and as he instinctively clapped his hands over his mouth an expended spell scroll went flying out of his sleeves. By sheer coincidence, Thalia chose that moment to come backstage, and her face took on a look of utter fury.

"SVIKARI! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU, YOU'RE NOT GETTING IN!"

"Cheater! He used a spell on Sverdman!"
    This time it was the bard who had performed Blow, Northern Wind who pointed an accusing finger at Svikari. Thalia narrowed her eyes.

"I've tried to be nice, Svikari. I really have. But this is assault. You're banned from The Steam-Powered Stein forever, and I'm calling the Custos Pacem."

"No! You're all just jealous! Peons! Ignorami! You're holding me back, my teacher's holding me back, he's holding me back, they're all holding me back! I am the greatest bard in all of Gottenburg, and by Change's name I'm going to-"

It was at this name that all four of the first performers grabbed him - a limb to each man - and began carting him out.

"Alright, buddy, time to go."

"Nooo! I will sing!"

And sing he did - in the most off-key, ear-splitting screech Snorri had ever heard.

"And so I sing this saaaad sooong, of despaaaair, for the job of a lonely baaaaard-"

The audience, booing loudly at the revelation of Svikari's treachery, promptly pelted the immobilized teenager with rotten tomatoes and cabbages - and showed surprisingly good aim in the process, not getting more than a few drops or so on the men carrying him. As the teenager left the building, raucous applause filled the venue.

"Wha?.."

Snorri looked back to find Thalia shaking Sverdman awake.

"It was Svikari again. Tried hitting you with a sleep spell; the newcomer spotted it." She pointed to Snorri. "You'd better get on stage quick. The competition's been a bit of a wash so far and they're desperate for a good song."

Sverdman nodded, and quickly made his way on stage.

"Thank you all for coming out here tonight, and for your patience thus far. As you all know, I'm Sverdman Solarson, 'Storyteller', bard extraordinaire, and eternal ladies man. And, as always, a proud supporter of this competition. But before I begin, I'd like to thank Thalia here, who was so kind as to offer her venue to host this little shindig in."

Clapping broke out, and Sverdman gave a little bow.

"So I'm going to break up the program a little bit, and hit you all with this little instrumental ditty I've been working on."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perform (Strings): (1d20+8)[24]

At long last, the audience seemed to have the music they had come to hear, and raucous applause filled The Steam-Powered Stein​.

As Sverdman left the stage, Thalia gestured to Snorri. "You're up."

Spoiler: OOC - Snorri
    Show
    For being the one to point out Svikari's treachery, the audience is now slightly more favorably disposed toward you. You gain a +1 circumstance bonus to your Perform Check to win the competition.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-27 at 05:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Octavia had to restrain herself from running like a little girl through the carnival. There was just so much to do, she had no idea where to start. Before she knew it, she was in an arcade.

Angel Arcade. Octavia missed the irony.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

The paladin was more than happy to let herself be shooed away, and thrilled that her funds on hand had been nearly quadrupled. It was even conditional on being spent on the carnival, so she wouldn't have to feel irresponsible about blowing it all that day. Once inside Juno hurried forward. "Paaaarty! Wooo!" She gave a little jump at the end of it, and even pumped her wings a couple of times to get some hang time. When she landed and looked around, though, she realized that she might have picked the wrong entrance. Roller Coasters had never had that much appeal to her - once you could fly under your own power, doing it while strapped uncomfortably into a seat or harness lost a lot of its charm. Plus, she didn't think any of them would be scarier than her first flying lessons.

Then

"Okay, Svama, I'm ready to do this... but why did we meet at the top of a cliiiIIIIIIAIAAAAAIIIIIEEEEE!"

Now

Similarly, what had to have been all the punchlines from Percy and Raglan had made their way around the Solar Order already. Some of the Panjas could even recite the entire Holy Alchemist's Fire sketch by rote. The Pie Tasting sounded good, but on an empty stomach...? Juno felt she should probably find a way to get to the Foodstuffs place first. The panja began her clockwise traverse, intending to cut straight through the Northeast sector and plunge into the East - the Steam Powered Stein was over there, if she remembered correctly - but she got distracted halfway there. The Northeast was where it was at. While the Farris Wheel had the same problem as roller coasters for her and she could take or leave the freak show, everything else looked fantastic. She quickly got sucked in to watching the Devils vs. Clanks competition, and knew she wasn't making it through the vendor area for less than a couple of gold pieces.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2015-12-27 at 05:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Snorri joined the rest of the crowd in applause, enjoying the performance though he would momentarily be competing against the famed Sverdman Solarson. Part of Snorri's exuberance for Solarson's performance may have had something to do with the fact that both were members of Söngvari Hópur.

At Thalia's gesture, Snorri rose and smiled. Leaving behind his pack and all else but his silver-stringed harp, the bard climbed the stage and took a deep bow before the audience. "I do not know how to top such a performance as that of Sverdman Solarson, but I shall do my best and hope that all of you enjoy it. This song is one I wrote for my fiance who passed away quite suddenly four years ago. This is the first time I have returned to Gottenburg since then, and I now sing this song in memory of my dear Eir, Storyteller and dear heart." With that introduction, Snorri took his harp in hand, cleared his voice, and began to sing,

"There's a grave in the bend of the valley
    Where the shadows sweep over so still
    There my darling is sleeping so peaceful
    In a grave at the foot of the hill

On the night when I'm lonely and thinkin'
    Of my sweetheart who's now gone away
    I go back to the place where she's sleeping
    I'm just longing to see her some day

God gave us the joy that we wished for
    Just a few nights together to be
    Then he carried her to heaven's bright portal
    There where she will be waiting for me

For I often go back to the valley
    Where the willows weep over her head
    There to be just once more with my darling
    By her side though I know she is dead"

Spoiler: Perform Roll
    Show
    Perform (Sing): (1d20+11)[20]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric & Calantha

Aldric pitches a gold coin at the elf and snatches up his map. After a few seconds of skimming down the list of attractions, he snaps, "Hey, hey, what's this about the opera house? Didn't it burn down a few years back?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-12-27 at 06:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Aldric and Callie

The elf gave a bored, almost dismissive glance at Aldric. "The Opera House fire was 7 years ago, sir. Plenty of time to rebuild. They cut the ribbon almost a year and a half ago. The debut performance was the Gudlegasaga. Amaya Himura in the lead role as Magnhildur, I believe. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a job to do."

The elf turned back to his work at the ticketing booth and paid Aldric no further heed.

Juno

Walking up to the Devils vs. Clanks™ attraction, Juno saw a vast arena stretching out before her, with stands all around and what appeared to be two 4-man groups in special booths on either side. One side of the arena was decked out in cartoonish demonic iconography, while the other side was decorated with gears, steam valves, and art of robots. In the center, beneath what looked like an announcer's booth, an army of warforged and devils fought.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, and Warforged of all types, welcome to Clark and Davan's Devils vs. Clanks™! Tonight, for your entertainment, 5 trained magicians shall use their knowledge of illusion and magical constructs to battle 5 trained mechanics for utter supremacy, in a war of magic versus technology! Who will be fried?! Who will be perforated?! Stick around, and find out-"

It was at this point that someone ran up to the announcer and whispered in his ear.

"Um, Ladies and Gentlemen, a moment of your time, if you please. Apparently, one member from each team apparently suddenly took sick. Guess when you overindulge on the Félagi Light..."

This brought laughter from the audience.

Spoiler: Félagi Light
    Show
    One of the most famous, and cheapest, beers in all of Bastion, Félagi Light is a human-brewed beer native to a hamlet 10 miles outside of Gottenburg, famous for its numerous advertisements that play up its 'Drinkability' (read: Wateriness because it is made on the cheap) and how if you drink it, hot women will want to 'make friends' with you. It is nearly universally agreed to be terrible, but due to it only costing 1 sp for a pint, remains one of the nation's best-selling beers.

"Anyway, both teams are offering a one-time-only Audience Participation Special! Who wants to step into the pilot seat of a deadly robot, or use the cosmic dust to bend a magic construct to your will?"

Octavia

Walking into the arcade, Octavia was treated to a light and sound show unlike any other. Angelic and Demonic imagery in equal measure dominated the arcade, children cheering happily as they played reskinned versions of pin and skee ball, or screamed with joy as machines dispensed tickets. Lights shone, machines chimed - and then, there, in the middle of the arcade, she saw it.

A large booth, unlike any she'd seen, depicting a battlefield from the War on Hell, with armies of humans and angels clashing with a host of demons. In the middle, the image of a crossed set of pistols could be seen, and at the end, where the players would presumably stand, a series of what appeared to be rifles were kept.

"Step right up, step right up!" A carnival barker, dressed as a zombie, barked out to the passersby. "Devil Hunters World of Skeet Shooting! The latest rage in all of Bastion - toy guns with realistic action! Shoot demons, win prizes!"

Arcade Attractions

New! Devil Hunters World of Skeet Shooting!

Whack-A-Fiend!
    Holey Ball!
    Pinball: War on Hell Edition!
    Hag's Bagatelle Challenge!
    Mummy's Marvelous Hoops!
    Vampire's Very Vexing Wheel of Fortune!
    Sinful Slots!
    Zombie Zen Tester!
    Snorri

Emboldened and gladdened by the previous good performance from Sverdman, the people inside the Steam-Powered Stein gave him an equally loud round of applause, whistling, clapping, and stomping their feet. Thalia then came on stage.

"And a big thank you to all our performers who gave us a wonderful showing this year. If you would all just be so kind as to fill out your voting cards..."

2 minutes later, Thalia emerged once more. "The votes have been tabulated. In 3rd place, with a magnificently cheeky performance of Woman, Bernard Smithson!"

Bernard gratefully bowed as the room filled with applause.

"In 2nd place, with a heartfelt ballad of love lost, Snorri Silfurlag!"

The audience applauded again, this time much louder.

"And by a very close vote, this year's winner of the Gottenburg Cantor's Tournament is Sverdman Solarson!"

The applause was at its most raucous yet as Sverdman bowed.

"And with that, the bar of the Steam-Powered Stein is once more open!"

As the crowd dispersed, Thalia came up to Snorri. "A very good performance. Thank you for coming, and we hope that you'll compete next year - hopefully with something of equal quality."

Pressing Snorri's winnings into his hand, she departed - only for Sverdman to come up in her place.

"It might have only been a small thing, but I'd just like to thank you for helping out with Svikari. That little pest has an ego the size of the Heavenly Palace, but he's never done something like that before. So, as a way of thank-you..."

Sverdman pressed a bag into Snorri's hand.

"A little share of my own winnings. I'm always glad to help out a fellow Storyteller, and that song could easily have beaten me with a different crowd. Hopefully we'll run into each other again soon. I usually hang out around here in between assignments, but now? I hear they're doing a special on candy apples in the Form of Frightly Foodstuffs this year."

And with that, Sverdman left, the door of the Steam-Powered Stein creaking shut behind him.

Spoiler: You are a Winner!
    Show
    You gain 200 gold pieces for coming in second place, and an additional 100 gold pieces as a thank you from Sverdman.

Amala

Rushing into the haunted house, Amala found herself in a rather dingy, dusty old room, apparently once lavishly decorated but now a mere shadow of its former glory. Paintings were torn and ragged, the blood red couches were caked in dirt and stained with something rather suspicious, and the coffee table was covered in cobwebs. A shattered black and white photograph, apparently of the owner, lay on the table, and a rusted cast iron chandelier hung from the ceiling.

After a few more people were ushered in, the doors creaked shut.

"So... It seems you decided to ignore my advice."

The voice of the old woman creaked out from all around the group, loud and clear, as the familiar hollow laugh made itself known once again.

"Well, nothing to be done about it now. Come, come inside. The sitting room's a touch dirty; I always felt the lounge was more of my true pride and joy."

A set of double doors creaked open, a large, empty, hexagonal room showing itself beyond. Tentatively, the group poured through, Amala in the middle. Looking around, the young psychic noted that there were six large paintings on each of the six walls, all depicting people in clothing from around 150 years back.

"We were all so happy. So young and carefree."

The lights dimmed in the room, and eerie music began to play. Outside, the wind began to blow. Only the paintings remained illuminated.

"But it was an illusion, a thin veneer of peace over a core of fear."

Looking up, Amala realized, to her shock, that the walls were getting longer - and that they were moving down.

"Looking around, we found ourselves lost in traps of our own making, ignorant of the true danger."

As the walls stretched, the paintings did so as well - and revealed horrific scenes beneath the pictures. A peaceful old lady stood atop a crumbling tower as demons climbed it. A swimming girl had monstrous sea creatures swimming up to her, jaws open. What looked to be a desert explorer had mummies ascending a staircase, murderous intent in their glowing eyes. A nervous looking man had werewolves climbing a tree to get to him.

"Until at last, they made themselves known to us."

The room plunged into darkness, and then, all of a sudden, everyone haunted house-goer found their hands branded. An eerie, glowing red circle first appeared on their hands, as if a line of fire had gone up in a field - then, within that circle, a tri-pronged fork.

Spoiler: Knowledge and Observation of the Mark
    Show
    Instantly, Amala recognized it as a mark known simply as The Brand of Hell. Placed on prisoners by devils - whenever they could be bothered to take them - the mark allowed them to send a surge of pain through their victims, both to simply disable or to kill them. Additionally, should they ever escape, it would allow them to easily scry upon their victims - as well as attract nearby demons, who could sense the magical taint.

As the mark flickered, however, Amala recognized that it was, in fact, a potent illusion.

"The denizens of Hell itself. A race of beings from the pits of the outer sphere, come to torment us."

Loud clanking emerged from up above.

"Like moths drawn to flame, so they sought us out - and using their mastery over terror, began a campaign to tear us apart."

The lights came on up above. A series of buzzsaws, now illuminated at the top of the ceiling, began to whirl viciously, and then, with a second click, began to slowly descend.

"Most could only wait, as, slowly but surely, they grew closer and closer, waiting to consume us whole."

As the old woman continued speaking from parts unknown, the saws descended faster and faster - until at last, just as they were about to reach the screaming audience, they stopped - and the lights went out again.

Spoiler: Observation
    Show
    Amala noticed, as the lights went further and further down, that the saws were on a carefully concealed track - and that it stopped at about 10 feet above the floor.

"But of course, some had heard of another way. Perhaps you've seen it - maybe in a dream. It was an artifact known as Heaven's Flare - a signalling device that would allow us to contact the Aspects - to ask for their protection, so that they might intervene and save us all."

A heretofore unseen door hidden in the wall creaked open, leading down a long and winding hallway.

"That artifact is hidden somewhere in this house. Move on and find it - if you dare. But be quick, for you are now hunted - and the huntsmaster will not wait forever."

Making their way down the hallway, the visitors to the haunted house looked around nervously at the chattering windows and abandoned suits of armor, the howling of wind now growing in its intensity. They moved down, the corridor growing colder and colder - until, at last, they re-emerged outside. But it was a world far different from the bustling streets of Gottenburg into which they emerged.

Amala looked around and saw that the house had somehow been transplanted from Bastion into a deep forest, covered by snowfall and in the middle of a horrific blizzard. To her right, there was another door into the decrepit mansion - but it had collapsed.

"Unfortunately, the way back in to the manor has collapsed. And, if you don't mind, I'm going to shut the door behind you. There's an awful chill about, if you haven't noticed, and I'd rather not let it get in."

The door behind the group slammed shut.

"There is another way in, around the side - but hurry, lest the cold itself get to you. And whatever you do... do not stray from the path."

Hurrying down the path, the group huddled together for warmth, noting with no small amount of trepidation that there seemed to be red glowing eyes appearing briefly in many of the bushes. Screams rent the air more than once as a sudden flock of ravens burst out of a bush, or as the group was forced to huddle under an underhang when the sound of heavy footsteps came from the forest. Thankfully, after a minute, a low groan was heard, and they went away.

Eventually, the path lead to yet another obstacle. A large pile of rubble and rocks stood on the path, seemingly blocking the way. On either side, the forest seemed dense and unforgiving - save for what appeared to be a snow-covered deer trail.

"W-what do we do?" One of the smaller children plaintively asked.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-28 at 09:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric and Callie

Aldric snarls as the elf goes back to his business, briefly baring his too long canine teeth and emitting a nearly imperceptibly low rumble. Attempting to compose himself, he adjusts tugs on his cravat and stalks off in the direction of the drama performance.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Upon seeing the theme of the Arcade, Octavia's face twisted into a grin. She wondered how her parents, who so often told her her angelic heritage was a sign of greatness, would have reacted to this silly spectacle. She was also very glad she was here as Octavia. Nice and invisible.

Now, which to try first? There didn't seem to be a lock-picking game, but the skeet looked good. Her aim wasn't too bad, and she's like to try out a gun. She stepped up to the booth. "I'd like to give it a go." she said confidently.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Mouth agape at the other performer's generosity, Snorri was left standing in the Stein, pouches of gold in hand. Stirring only when the clientele became more active, the bard shoved both pouches into his bag of holding and pushed through the doors of the establishment. His stomach rumbled, deciding for him that food should be his next stop. Snorri examined his carnival map quickly, picked out the location of the Forum of Frightly Foodstuffs, and set out at a brisk pace.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

Juno's hand shot up among dozens of others. "Oh! I can pilot!" She couldn't pilot. "Over here!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Amy

"Oh, don't worry. I'm sure everything will be fine."

While Amy would be the first to admit that this was pretty fun, and certainly an impressive setup for a haunted house, her mind was also the type that found it hard to ignore the small details that made it so difficult to suspend disbelief. For instance, the warning to not stray from the path was probably because they were 1. walking down an illusioned corridor and doing so would result in an abrupt meeting with a wall or 2. would cause the illusion to fall apart entirely. Part of her was momentarily tempted to try breaking the game in an attempt to climb the rubble pile, before she finally decided it would be more enjoyable to just go with the flow and follow the apparent pathway.

Looking towards the deer trail, she looked back towards the rest of the group with a shrug.

"Well, no other way to go forward. Anyone else wanna try this way?"

Without waiting for a reply she set off down the trail, all the while repressing the mischievous urge to scream the moment she was out of sight.

26. - Top - End - #26

Juno

"And we have a volunteer! Come, come on up Miss!"

With the spotlight suddenly on her, Juno found herself urged forward by the applause of the crowd, making her way toward the team operating the Clanks. After being pushed to introduce herself to the crowd by another, secondary announcer ("What's your name?" "What do you do for a living?" "How are you enjoying the carnival so far?" "You don't happen to be 'on the market', do you?" The latter of which provoked a lot of laughter from the audience.), she was promptly introduced to the men calling themselves 'Team R4tch-1t-Up'.

"Gnarly, babe!" Said their apparent leader, giving Juno a hearty slap on the back. "Always awesome to meet a fellow gearhead. Much props for getting us out of a jam, here - no idea how Alfonso got sick that quickly. Anyway, you said you were already a pilot, so I'll just keep this brief..."

Juno was then treated to a very brief primer on the controls of the clanks, which apparently appeared to consist mostly of the ways their setup was different from 'League Standard'. There was enough for Juno to get the gist of it, but she couldn't help but wonder if she could remember it all.

"Anyhoo, as our bodacious newcomer, I'm gonna let you pick what clank you get to pilot!"

Clanks for Piloting
    Spoiler: For Ease of Reading
    Show
    CRUSHINATOR
    Equipped with a massive hammer, this mecha is slow and lumbering, but packs a whallop up close and is the best armored of all the clanks.

Offense: ****
    Defense: *****
    Speed: **

TESLINATOR
    Equipped with a lightning rod, this mecha is perhaps the most delicate of all the clanks, but has fantastic offensive power - and, with the right setup, can hit multiple targets.

Offense: *****
    Defense: *
    Speed: ***

BOOMINATOR
    Equipped with a minicannon, this mecha fights from ranged, and as such sacrifices defense for sheer offensive power and speed. However, due to the bulkiness of the cannon, it can be a touch hard to aim.

Offense: ***
    Defense: **
    Speed: ****

SCOURGINATOR
    Equipped with several spinning chain weapons, this mecha is the most technical out of all of Team R4tch-1t-Up's robots. It possesses little offensive power of its own, but with its chains, it can entangle, grapple, disable, and trip up the demon constructs, leaving them helpless against the onslaught of its allies.

Offense: *
    Defense: ***
    Speed: ****
    SPECIAL ABILITY: Trip (has +4 modifier on attacks made to trip; must hit DC 10 + Defense Rating of opposing construct). Can use every round.

DRILLINATOR
    Equipped with a massive drill, this mecha can take on massive spurts of speed, and, with a good tackle, can knock over other constructs - but outside of its charge mode, is rather difficult to maneuver.

Offense: ****
    Defense: ****
    Speed: **
    SPECIAL ABILITY: Charge (can move 80 feet in a straight line as a standard action, has chance to knock target prone on successful hit (+3 modifier vs. DC 15). Must wait 3 rounds before using again.

Spoiler: Devils vs. Clanks: How to Play
    Show
    Welcome to Devils vs. Clanks, the game where YOU get to be the robot gladiator! This game is a 5v5 Team Deathmatch, with Team R4tch-1t-Up competing against Team Ill Minds for glory, prestige, and money. To win, you must use your clanks to put the other team's constructs out of commission. To simplify the game, the rules are as follows:

1) First, pick your clank. Whenever play begins, you will control the actions of that clank in battle, it temporarily subsuming Juno as your PC on the map. However, because Juno is not familiar with how to operate it, she must succeed on a DC 5 Intelligence check every round to correctly remember the controls. If she doesn't succeed... funny things happen. :P

2) Once you succeed at the check, you can move your Clank or have it fight. Each clank has a movement speed of 10 feet times its Speed rating (so, for instance, Drillinator has a speed of 20).

3) Each clank has a unique weapon with unique damage output; the attack modifier of this weapon is Juno's INT modifier, plus its offense rating.

4) Similarly, the DC to hit a clank or construct is 10, plus the defense rating.

5) Each clank can only perform one attack per round. Activating the special ability of a clank, if it has one, is a standard action.

Octavia

"Excellent, excellent! Now, let's just go over how to play, little lady. This here's a lot like a real rifle - you ever held one before? - but a lot easier to handle. As you can see, it's very lightweight. To aim it, you just peer down the iron sights, right here -"
    He indicated the top of the rifle, "So that the little metal prong on the end is lined up between the two nearest you. When you've got your target lined up, just pull the trigger to fire - like a crossbow. It uses magically compressed air to fire its projectiles, so there's very little recoil."

"Now, like a military issue rifle, this lil' girl uses magazines for reloading. You swap them out like so..."
    The barker demonstrated the process, showing Octavia the catch for releasing the magazine, and that one simply had to slide the fresh one into the slot below the barrel. "Each magazine has 5 rounds, and you have 10 rounds. Each clay demon is worth a number of points, depending on how close it is - 5 points, 10 points, 15 points, and 20 points. The more points you get, the more tickets you get to reimburse at our prize booth. Get 200, and you win an extra special prize."

"Are you ready? Good. Pull!"

The first round of clay demons were launched into the air...

Spoiler: Demon Hunters: World of Skeet Shooting - Rules
    Show
    Because of the lightweightness, lack of recoil, and the instruction of the barker, Octavia only receives a -2 proficiency penalty when firing the gun, for a total of +5 on her attack modifier.

The point value of each target is its touch AC. Meet the AC, you shatter it - no need to roll damage. You have 10 rounds, and can safely reload and meet them all. You may roll these one at a time, or compress all 10 attacks into a single post. Because of the simplicity of the gun, you do not have to worry about misfires.

Snorri

As Snorri stepped into the Forum of Frightly Foodstuffs, a million wonderful scents wafted up his nose, and his mouth began to water. All around, various stalls and stands could be seen purveying their wares, decorated with iconography of mythical creatures and monsters. Children happily chewed on their food, toddlers cried as they clumsily spilt theirs, and families chatted animatedly at the many picnic tables as they sat down for a snack.

But there was one stall in particular that caught Snorri's attention - Friesta's Fiendishly Fudgey, Caramely, Chocolatey, Candy-Covered Apples.

The proprieter appeared to be a female tiefling, or at the very least, a woman in a very convincing costume. Opening up his ears, Snorri could make out the barest strains of her talking to her customers in a stereotypical 'old crone' voice before brandishing something at them. Some walked away, while others peered in more closely - only for the woman to matter of factly state something before they too, looked on in disgust. Some paid, others spat and scurried off.

At a nearby table, Snorri spotted Sverdman yet again, feasting upon what looked like a particularly decadent apple.

Menu
    Spoiler: For Ease of Reading
    Show
    New! Friesta's Fiendishly Fudgey, Caramely, Chocolatey, Candy-Covered Apples
    Candy - 5s
    Caramel - 5s
    Chocolate Fudge - 5s
    Walnut and Chocolate - 7s
    Almond and Chocolate - 7s
    White Chocolate - 6s

Artur's Aidzen Appetizers
    Chili - 6s
    Beef Stew - 6s
    Ice Cream - 5s
    Custard (Chocolate, Vanilla) - 4s
    Soft Pretzels - 6s each

Mama Danielle's Devilish Deep-Fried Delights
    Foul Funnel Cake - 4s
    Harrisome Haggis Fritters - 7s
    Skeletal Scotch Eggs - 5s
    Chittering Deep-Fried Chocolate (your choice of Raspberry, Strawberry, Orange, Lemon or Boysenberry syrup, dusted with powdered sugar) - 7s
    - A La Mode 1s extra.
    Wendigo's Touch (Deep Fried Ice Cream) - 7s
    Burrely Bugbear's Deep-Fried Buttercream - 4s
    'Poison-Green' Deep-Fried Pickles - 4s
    Monstrous Macaroni and Cheese Balls - 6s
    Deep-Fried Cheese Curdes - 4​s

Tomas' Traditionally Sinister Staples
    Ghoulishly Gooey Cheese Pizza - 4s
    - 'Vilified' Vegetarian Delight Pizza - 5s
    - Powerfully Punchy Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza - 5s
    Holy Hot Dogs - 4s
    Lilith's Luscious Lollipops - 4s
    Cold-As-Ice Cotton Candy - 4s

Slithering Sandwiches

Bulky Brawny Beefburgers (Extra toppings available upon request, 5 cp each) - 6s
    Potato Frites - 3s
    Kurwan Dip - 7s
    Hellish Ham and Sauerkraut - 5s
    Moonlight Mont Aspetto - 7s
    Slithering Stewed Meat Pasties - 4s

The Celestial Font
    Ice Water - 5c
    Soda (Coca, Orange, Strawberry, Lemon, Boysenberry) - 2s
    Félagi Light - 1s
    Blizzard Bock - 2s
    Selka's Summer Lager - 3s
    Archon's Amber Ale - 3s
    Havar's Hopmaster - 2s
    Georg's Blue Ribbon Stout - 4s
    Royal Dwarven Imperial Stout - 6s
    Dyri's Dubbel - 3s
    Stale Moose Urine - 4s
    Falur Ridge Red - 5s
    Almas White - 5s
    Vala Prime Champagne - 7s

Pegasus Pastries (All Items A La Mode for only 1 sp extra!)
    Cornetins - 4s
    Croissant (Extra Buttery, Cheese, Berry, Lemon) - 4s
    Turnovers (Apple, Peach, Pear) - 4s
    Key Lime Pie - 5s
    Cheesecake (Lemon, Cracker-Crust, Chocolate, Raspberry) - 5s
    Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake - 6s

Spoiler: OOC - Everyone
    Show
    If there's more carnival food I've missed out on, point it out to me!
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-30 at 12:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

Juno was happy to talk about the Solar Order, but the announcer had moved on to her dating availability (well, it was one way to meet guys, she guessed) before she could proselytize.

Then he got down to business. Juno, you have done a silly thing, here. She nodded politely at the careful explanation of the distinctions between the current rules and the league's, but her real attention was on trying to remember the basics of the controls. She figured she had maybe an eighty percent chance of not tripping all over herself.

Then it came time for her to decide. She'd figured she would just take over whichever clank the sick team member had abandoned, but apparently it didn't work like that. She knew right away that she didn't want anything overly delicate, and a ranged unit was a bad idea - she had caused enough trouble during her archery training for the Solar monks to combine it with their arrow deflection lessons and the clerics to hang around on standby, so anything that could potentially shoot off into the crowd was right out. That left the one with the chains, which looked like something an experienced pilot should be driving, along with the giant hammer bot and the giant drill bot.

Juno picked the giant drill bot and formulated a simple but hopefully effective strategy. She would follow the chain bot around and pound whatever menaced it, prioritizing anything it managed to knock over. If something tried to hang back out of the way, she'd rush it. That was the plan, anyway, but it might need adjusting based on what the devil constructs could do. "I think I'll pilot the Drillinator."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Aldric and Callie

Aldric snarls as the elf goes back to his business, briefly baring his too long canine teeth and emitting a nearly imperceptibly low rumble. Attempting to compose himself, he adjusts tugs on his cravat and stalks off in the direction of the drama performance.

Aldric and Callie

Startled, the young woman almost loses her brother when he stalks towards the drama performance. For a moment, a thunderous anger crosses her face; then she runs to catch up to him, grabbing onto his sleeve.

"What's the matter with you? Why would you try to leave me behind? And what's all this about the opera house? Why is it so important to you that it's rebuilt and that performances are happening?"

She pauses in her questioning, and her eyes narrow as she takes in her brother's face. What had happened to him, while he'd been away from her? Something was very...different. She snatches the map from him, scanning it.

"So...where are we going?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm not!" he freezes in place and begins again with a calmer voice. "I'm not trying to leave you behind. I just ... I need to talk to someone who saw the fire. It can't have been seven years ago. It can't."

His breath quickens and a bead of sweat begins to form on his brow. His good eye darts around, irrationally angry at the casual glances from onlookers.

"I remember it happening like it was last night. I was there! I can still hear Danielle's aria when I close my eyes. Seven years!? I was ..."

He shuts his eye tight and shakes his gently shakes his head. "I know it doesn't make any sense. I would have been a boy. But, I remember."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Octavia hefted the gun in her hands for a moment, idly imagining what her ancestors might have thought of this representation of their battles. With a grin, she took aim and fired.

Show
    Getting them all in one post to make things easier. Also because I'm impatient.

[roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]
    [roll]d20+5[roll]