A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 1182
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Katrin looked fondly at Amala, the older half-elf apparently transitioning up into protective mother mode.

    "I'm fine, honey, don't worry. That siren... That siren really saved us, when it went off. If we hadn't already been heading for the shelter, we would have been caught for sure. As for your father -" Katrin shuddered. "He was patrolling the Fourth Circle, if I recall correctly, when everything happened. I can only pray he's alright."

    The older woman caught up Amala in a hug again.

    "But we're together again. And I'm not letting you out of my sight until this is all over, sweetie."

    "I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop you right there, ma'am."
    Haetta drew close, a serious look on his face. "Your daughter was crucial in helping to clear away the cultists who were threatening the vault, and is one of the strongest people here. We are stepping out into a war zone, and until further notice, I am deputizing her to help escort this group to safety."

    Katrin turned, a clear look of horror on her face and words of objection on her lips, but Haetta held up her hand.

    "I know you're scared right now, ma'am, and you have every right to be - but your daughter has shown that she is more than capable of handling herself. Have faith in her. I won't let anything happen o her, I promise."


    Conflicting feelings warred over Katrin's face, until at last she stepped back, a frown directed at Haetta.

    "I will hold you to that, lieutenant."

    "I'd be disappointed if you didn't." Haetta then turned to Aldric as the gunslinger made his request. "Feel free. We'll need every advantage we can get. I will, of course, expect it back once we reach safety, however, as Auga will need it when we can get her back on her feet."

    The lieutenant then turned to the crowd, who, at Henrietta's instructions, had managed to rather efficiently organize themselves.

    "Those who of you who can fight, take the rear! Those who freed me, take point! The rest of you, in the middle! Everyone... move out!"

    Chapter 2
    Wake Up And Smell The Ashes


    Somberly, the procession of people fleeing the Heralds of the Eldest made their way quickly out of the basement labs and into the lobby of Myrkvi University. Many people gasped, some even looking rather green, as they took in the scene of carnage before them, classmates and visitors alike lying dead upon the floor with chunks of flesh torn from their bodies. Thankfully, as had earlier been seen through the lens of the surveillance crystal balls, the lobby was empty, and had, for the moment, remained that way.

    Of course, they couldn't afford to take chances, especially with the disabling of the resonance generator, that it would stay that way. So quickly, they rushed on through the lobby, the party's weapons and Haetta's guns at the ready as they took point. Through the empty courtyard they rushed, the autumn leaves of the trees there looking eerily forboding in the pale moonlight, the light breeze rustling the branches and making the hurried procession's hearts jump into their throats, paranoid that every sound might be another enemy come to ambush them.

    Spoiler: Henrietta
    Show
    All the while, Henrietta fiddled desperately with her radio, trying as best she could to contact high command. However, something appeared to be off about it - even as they emerged from the basement, where she should have been able to get a clear signal, she found herself unable to get one. Examining her radio, she saw clear signs of tampering, as if the Heralds had been doing something to it.

    Funnily enough, as they passed some of the corpses in the lobby, her radio suddenly began to crackle with a faint static.


    But the silent, tense horror of the courtyard could not compare to what awaited them when they finally left through Myrkvi's gates, and stood upon the crest of the mesa where it was founded, looking down the enormous causeway to the rest of Gottenburg - and the scene of horror that lay beyond.

    The city was in flames. Thankfully, it was not a total conflagration, but everywhere they looked, the party could only come to one conclusion - the Heralds of the Eldest, whoever they truly were, had hit the city hard. Tiny red dots lit up the city at intervals, the ash and smoke rising into the air to create a blood red haze against the full moon that provided the light for those not equipped with darkvision to see their way. Screams and wails of horror wafted upon the air, chilling those who heard them to the bone.

    From all around the city, the unmistakeable streams of light from what had to be more resonance generators shone into the air, creating a translucent (almost completely transparent) series of bubbles around each of the six circles, as if the entire city was a giant onion.


    Spoiler: Sanity Attack!
    Show
    A Disturbing Sight makes itself known to our adventurers. You gain the extra defense from Aura of Courage for the purposes of this roll.

    And thanks to it, no-one quails at the sight.

    Then, from far away, a bell tolled. Once. Twice. Thrice. Four Times. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve.

    1st of Elstiman, 2150 AA

    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    The bell that just rang is a tone familiar to many - the Heavenly Chime of the Temple Pacifica, Gottenburg's main timepiece. And if it is still ringing, then that can mean only one thing - the Heralds, at the very least, must not have breached its walls as of yet.


    "The Temple Pacifica. Then, that means... There is hope after all."

    Once more, Haetta activated his radio.

    "High Command, this is Lieutnenant Pyotr Haetta. Do you copy?"


    A tense moment passed. Then, finally, the Lieutenant's radio crackled to life.

    "Lieutenant Haetta, this is High Command. Report current status."

    "I'm in the sixth circle, just outside Myrkvi University. The people attacking us - they're using it as their home base. I only just escaped with the work of Lieutenant Henrietta Akstål and assorted emergency deputies. The attackers appear to belong to some kind of cult - the Heralds of the Eldest. Thanks to Akstål and her friends, we've managed to rescue the people from the Myrkvi Emergency Vault, but it's only a matter of time before they discover we're gone. We need to get them to shelter."

    "Confirmed. Proceed to the Custos Pacem Sixth Circle Precinct Vault. Exit down the causeway and take Threshold Street five blocks east. You can't miss it."

    "Acknowledged, Command. What's the..."
    Haetta gulped with dread. "What's the situation with Gottenburg?"

    "Gottenburg is now officially in a Code Pitch Black. For now, lieutenant, escort the civilians to the Precinct Vault. Further orders will be given there."


    Spoiler: Henrietta, Snorri, and Octavia
    Show
    Code Pitch Black is a state of emergency in which the city has been completely compromised by an attack, with members of the government confirmed missing or dead. It is the most serious state of emergency in which the city can be, and has not happened since the War on Hell.

    The trip down the enormous stone causeway to the rest of the sixth circle was a quick one, considering the distance that needed to be traveled. Reaching the city itself, however, the party had to remain on guard, screams and slavering echoing from off in the distance, along with the occasional report of firearms. Due to its nature as a haphazard collection of buildings that had sprung up around the outside of the old city of Gotttenburg, the sixth circle was rather haphazard in nature to begin with, and had not been helped by the destruction. So it was, about two blocks away from the precinct, that they found the eastern and northern roads blocked by collapsed buildings.

    "Damn it. We'll have to find another way around."


    Proceeding south, the party found another way east, but through an unlikely route - Saint Miskunn's Memorial Gardens.

    Spoiler: Aldric, Amala, Snorri, Henrietta, and Octavia
    Show
    The largest cemetary in all of Gottenburg Saint Miskunn's Memorial Gardens are where the overwhelming majority of people in Gottenburg are buried, with the Grand Mausoleum in the second circle the (practical) exclusive domain of the rich, famous, and occasionally heroic.

    Spoiler: Aldric
    Show
    Even with his memory in pieces, Aldric remembered one thing. A girl named Cynthia Fairchild was buried here, in a pauper's grave - and yesterday had been the anniversary of her death. Someone needed to lay flowers on her grave.

    Proceeding through the gardens, as it turned out, involved several twists and turns, and eventually, the party stopped to catch their breath.

    "Even here..." Haetta gestured toward a grave. "Is nothing safe?"

    Four corpses lay around a pauper's grave, the earth around it disturbed as if they had been trying to uncover it. Their heads, notably, were all missing, their blood tinged with blue coloring and their bodies bent and broken.

    Spoiler: Aldric
    Show
    Aldric recognized the grave as Cynthia's just as his head was gripped by pain once again.

    "Help! Help! Owie, owie! It burns! Help me!"

    "I'll get you out! Just hang on!"

    "Heeeeel-"


    Aldric returned to reality, sweat beading down his face and-

    Wait.

    Narrowing his eyes, Aldric examined the corpses by the grave. It had only been for a second, but he could have sworn he saw one of them move.

    Spoiler: Henrietta
    Show
    Your radio begins to crackle faintly again.

    Spoiler: Everyone Else
    Show
    You notice that Aldric grimaces for a second before regaining his composure.


    Achievement Unlocked: Reborn in Darkness
    Escape from the Aberrant Spider's Cavern

    Achievement Unlocked: Wake Up and Smell The Ashes
    Escape from Myrkvi University

    Achievement Unlocked: Silent Assassins
    Take out all the Heralds of the Eldest in the Basement Labs without allowing them to sound the alarm

    Achievement Unlocked: Warning Sign(als)
    As a Player Character with the Custos Pacem Officer campaign trait, retrieve your radio

    Achievement Unlocked: We Are The Cavalry
    Rescue Lieutenant Haetta

    Achievement Unlocked: Commencing Shutdown Sequence
    Find and disable a Resonance Generator
    Spoiler: Have Some Rewards
    Show
    For escaping the University without sounding the alarm, you all gain another 600 XP, bringing your total to 11970 XP.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-03-26 at 09:16 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Such violence, such chaos, such madness.

    This was the truth of humanity, the corruption at the heart of the city barely contained by the skin of civility, and now it was all out for the world to see. Monsters in human clothing, that's what she had seen today, and as she progressed through the carcass of Gottenburg she felt the comparison was all too accurate. Her face betrayed none of her anguish or disappointment, her porcelain mask flawless and sleek, and only shifting slightly when the group stopped to catch its breathe.

    "Wasting time, always wasting time. Never enough time..."

    She thought to herself, blank eyes glazing over the ramshackle crowd, and briefly looking over each member of her rescue party. Monsters lurked beneath each of them, she knew, and it was not merely figurative pontificating that rambled in Henriettas head. More than just their dark nature, a far more literal corruption lay within their veins, and within Henrietta aswell. Its full effects unknown as of yet but it did not take a detective to see the dark implications. Wallowing in such thoughts was dangerous however, so Henrietta focused on her job at hand instead. Gripping the crackling radio in hand, Henrietta fiddled with it and spoke to it.

    "Hello? Is anyone there? This is Lieutenant Henrietta Askstål. Hello?"

    Pacing over to the disturbed earth, Henrietta looked past the radio like an iron sight and investigated the surrounding earth and corpses. Armored hand placed over her greatswords sheathe, she whistled softly and in a moment her incorruptible companion was at hand sniffing the grave dirt and tainted blood.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Perception:(1d20+8)[28]

    Fiddle with radio, Lion's Call, and if time permits Squad Commander.

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Visibly shaken, Aldric began dragging the bodies off of the grave. He plucked at his cravat like the piece of green silk was strangling him. His good eye was fixed on the distant horizon, boring a hole through the ranks of cenotaphs.

    "Please ... is someone a priest?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-03-27 at 12:42 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta's radio continued to be unresponsive as she desperately attempted to contact High Command, an action that did not go unnoticed by Haetta.

    "We'll make sure to get you a new one - or repaired, at the very least. Can't have you walking around with a broken radio."

    As both Henrietta and Aldric then approached the grave, and Aldric requested a priest, a civilian stepped forward from the throng following behind them. Dressed in the garb of Change, she was clearly nervous, but attempted to keep a kind look on her face.

    "I am. What is it that you require, chil-"


    Then, the corpse Aldric was dragging definitely moved. Along with two of the other three remaining.

    Thrashing and howling, the corpses began to warp and twist, something moving visibly beneath the body, before the torsos burst open, showering a spray of blue ichor everywhere. Large, blue, pulsing organs hung out of the chest, the hands and feet turned into massive, razor-sharp claws, and the formerly headless necks saw a large, protuberous, blue organism sprout out of the esophagus before resting comfortably atop its makeshift perch.

    The azure-headed abberations turned to the party and screeched.

    The static on Henrietta's radio, previously so soft that you had to be next to her to hear it, grew so loud that everyone in the clearing could hear it, the unpleasant noise underscoring the horrific sight and mortal danger that faced the heroes.

    Spoiler: Sanity Attack!
    Show
    You are subject to a Shocking Event! You have all, however, remained close enough to gain the benefit of Aura of Courage. Lion's Call is also in effect.

    vs. Aldric: (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    vs. Juno: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]
    vs. Octavia: (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]
    vs. Snorri: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    vs. Amala: (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]
    vs. Henrietta: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

    The cleric fell to ground, scrambling backwards as she screamed in terror.

    "Stay back!" Haetta brandished his revolver. "We'll handle this!"

    Roll for Initiative.

    Spoiler: Which you won handily, with Haetta gaining a natural 20.
    Show
    Squad Commander is in effect for Henrietta. Round 1 Begins!

    Taking in a breath, Haetta aimed down the sights of his revolver.

    "Burn in hell, you freakish abberations."

    The report of a gun sounded through the graveyard as the Custos Pacem lieutenant aimed for the head of the one nearest Aldric...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Haetta uses a move action to use Bullseye Shot, which allows him to gain +4 on the next ranged attack he takes before the end of his turn.

    He then decides to f*** center mass and aim for the head, making a called shot to the head of Azure Head 1 and taking a -5 penalty to attack.

    Attack (vs Touch): (1d20+9)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]

    The Azure Head, because of its vulnerability to called shots to the head, is staggered rather than sickened for 3 rounds.

    His shot was true, the creature visibly reeling backwards.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-03-27 at 01:45 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    A low rumble escaped Aldric's lips, but he said nothing articulate. He unholstered Despair and planted the barrel against the abomination's forehead before pulling the trigger.

    Spoiler: Draw, Focused Aim - One Attack
    Show
    (1d20+10)[16]
    (1d8+6)[8]
    Grit 4/6

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Gritting her teeth, Henrietta dropped her radio in surprise and aggravation as suddenly a horrible glimpse of the future flashed before her eyes. These grisly beasts, tainted with the same liquid that was injected into each of them, had risen from the grave into twisted affronts to logic and reality. Rumbling out a roar of anger, Henreitta charged forward and swung her great sword in an upwards slash, splitting the ground below and spraying grave dirt all around her in the process.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show

    Charging Power Attack A3

    Attack:(1d20+10)[15]
    Crit:(1d20+10)[16]
    Damage:(2d6+14)[20]
    Crit:[ROLL]2d6+14[ROLL]

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Snorri

    Drawing his rapier, Snorri dashed over toward the...whatever-they-weres and thrust at one with his blade.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move to M6
    Attack vs. A3: (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Octavia

    Was it possible to be reach a limit to the number of times you were scared in one day? From the spiders and the monsters to seeing her city burn Octavia (Or was she Azata?) felt at her limits and all she wanted to do was got home. But somehow seeing the corpses rise once again and turn into hideous blue heads, her only reaction was to raise her swords and charge, aiming for the one hiding in the back

    Spoiler
    Show
    Head 2:
    (d20+10)[23]
    (1d6+5)[10]
    Sneak Attack: (2d6)[10]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jade_Tarem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Juno

    The paladin was about to respond to Aldric's request with a reminder that she was technically a panja of a Titanic Order. She'd never been called upon to administer rites or spiritual advice before, but she'd had the right training for it. Then she got interrupted.

    Again and again and again and again and a

    Juno snapped out of the vision of carnage to find out that the combat had already begun. This seems like a debilitating issue. I should tell someone. That was a problem for later. She'd found her body already drifting upward and decided to continue the motion, drawing her sword as she went.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Combat begins! Juno is staggered and will simply move 30 feet straight up while drawing her sword.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Maneuvering into position, Octavia's swords found their mark as they plunged into the second creature's bulbous azure head. The same slowly dying scream they had heard from many of the cultists back in the University rang across the graveyard as the abberation slumped to the ground, finally dead.

    Meanwhile, the two Azure heads left standing lashed out, though the first, staggered as it was by the shot to its 'head', could only get off a single swipe.

    Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    Azure Head 1 (vs Aldric)
    Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9]

    Azure Head 3 (vs Henrietta):
    Attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[8]
    Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]

    Haetta, in turn, repositioned himself before trying to fire off another bullet at the first of the Azure Heads.

    Spoiler: Actions 2
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[10]


    Spoiler: Round 2 Begins!
    Show
    And it likely won't last long, at this rate.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Growling at the azure headed freak stabbing into her, Henrietta lashed out with her armored gauntlet, beating it in the head and shoving it away as Haetta took the foul beast down in an roar of smoke and lead. Spinning in her heels, she swung her great sword at the lone remaining abomination. "NGAAAAH!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Five foot step.

    Attack:(1d20+10)[12]
    Crit:(1d20+10)[29]
    Damage:(2d6+7)[14]
    Crit:(2d6+7)[11]

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Kicking away the lifeless form of the thing that had clawed at him, Aldric calmly pumped two rounds into the last monster.

    Spoiler: Rapid Attack
    Show
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    (1d20+4)[8]
    (1d8+1)[3]


    Having splattered blue blood on the nearest grave marker, Aldric put one shot into the chests of each of the corpses. His pupil had shrunken to a pin-prick by the time he emptied his cylinder in a shower of brass earth. He repeated the word, "Priest ..." as he went to collapse with his back against a headstone and cradle his head in his hands. He hadn't bothered to reload or close his cylinder.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-03-28 at 10:49 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    In a hail of gunfire from Haetta and Aldric and an explosion of blue ichor, the last two Azure Heads fell to the ground, lifeless and letting out their usual dying wail.

    Spoiler: Congratulations, you've won!
    Show
    And you get 100 XP from each of them, for a new grand total of 12270 XP.

    Clearly tense, Haetta tried to steady his breathing. "First murderous, tumored cultists, then zombies, then these aberrations... how much farther down the spiral is this night going to go?"

    The cleric, now having recollected herself, approached Aldrics once again.

    "Th-thank you for saving us, child. Your wounds... I am no expert healer, but let me try to patch you up."

    Focusing on her symbol, the cleric sent out two pulses of energy, enveloping the party in a comforting light.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The cleric patches everyone up with two uses of channel energy.

    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[5]

    "Now, before we got interrupted... What is it you desire?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-03-28 at 10:51 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Aldric didn't look up, or respond at the prospect of being healed. He wasn't used to being hurt, much less relying on others. After a long few seconds he managed to say, "Cynthia Fairchild. The grave. You have to consecrate the grave. White roses were her favorite."

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Looking around, the cleric motioned forward one of her fellows, who got to work clearing away the bodies from the grave as she made her way over to a nearby rose bush. Carefully cutting away six roses, she made her way over to the now-clear grave as her fellow sprinkled it liberally with a vial of holy water. Delicately, she then arranged the roses in a hexagonal shape, their white blooms facing up toward the moon, before lighting a stick of incense and placing it in the middle. Then, applying a spark to her own thurible, she clasped her hands and began to pray.

    "As the wheel of life turns, so are new souls born to the world and old souls ushered into the realm of the dead. Some take longer journeys before their final destination - others, a shorter one. Regardless of the journey, all lives enact Change in us, for ill, and - more importantly - for good."

    "Though it is natural for all lives to pass, it is also natural for those blessed by their presence to mourn their passing. And so we memorialize Cynthia Fairchild, granted to us for a mere..."


    Though it was imperceptible to most, the party took note as the cleric's eyes roamed over the date marked on Cynthia's Headstone: 2136-2145.

    "Nine years. Though it has pleased our most glorious Aspect to take her back to itself, so we consecrate the ground where she has been laid to rest. Looking for that blessed hope, when we shall all ascend to heaven with a shout, wherein we shall meet once more, and ever be in a world that changes soley for the better. So do we comfort one another with these words."

    "May we forever be unfettered and free."

    Spoiler: Aldric
    Show
    The memories flooded back again, unbidden.
    "Help me, please!""I've almost got you! Hang on!"

    Then, an oily, nausea-inducing voice, scraping across his subconscious, taunting him.

    "Azrilith... Come out, come out, wherever you are."

    The voice somehow screamed family, and yet not at the same time. It made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

    Spoiler: Aldric, Juno, Snorri, and Amala
    Show
    The fact that she chose six roses is no coincidence, as six is a sacred number to the adherents of Change (just as the number four is to those of Balance and Order).

    The prayer she is using is a standard funeral prayer from the holiest text of Change, Peace Within The Maelstrom.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-03-29 at 08:36 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Panting for a few seconds, Henrietta regained her composure with a quick readjustment, and flicked her blade clean before sheathing it once more. Watching the consecration she questioned the tactical feasibility of stopping to perform a whole ceremony, but after seeing the expression on Aldric's face decided it was better to leave it be. Performing a quick holy hand gesture and muttering a prayer to Order, Henrietta turned and left the procession early.

    In the meantime she exchanged her magical cloak for its more refined and powerful counterpart.

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Snorri

    Reaching into his pack, Snorri pulled out his own text, one used by those who followed Leviathan rather than Change. He read a few passages silently, mouthing the words to himself, before replacing it in his pack and glancing over at Aldric. Leaving the man to his grief, Snorri approached the cleric. "Pardon me, miss, but while this is a good thing to do, we should keep moving. It obviously isn't safe here, and we should head to the Custos Pacem Sixth Circle Precinct Vault. There may be more enemies about, and we must make haste."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy to persuade her to get moving: (1d20+8)[20]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Aldric fished a cigarette out of his case and lit it before standing finally. He took a long drag, and held it in until it felt like his lungs would burst. He no longer seemed rattled, just at peace with how angry he felt. Flicking away an inch of drooping ash, he finally let a puff of smoke out his nose and regarded Snorri somewhat coldly, "Haste? No. You should move cautiously and keep everyone together. I'm going ahead a bit."

    He thumbed six rounds into his revolver and holstered it before taking Auga's borrowed rifle off his shoulder.

    "I'm going to find someplace with a good view and I'll cover the way to the Vault." A look passed between him and Calantha, but he left without another word.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-03-29 at 03:02 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Looking at Aldric from the back of the pack, Calantha (who had been doing her best to comfort a particularly fuzzy moogle dressed in student garb) nodded at him in turn. As he made to separate from the rests of the pack, Haetta stopped him.

    "It's been a while since I passed through here, but if I remember correctly, there should be a small shrine atop that hill. You should be able to get a decent vantage point from there. It shouldn't be too far from here to the precinct, as I recall - but it's always good to have some overwatch."


    Making their way through the twisting, winding passages of the graveyard, the group found no further resistance - at least within the graveyard itself. However, as they approached the edge, they began to hear the far-off moans, as well as the yelling of battle - and one or two booms characteristic of musket fire.

    Spoiler: Henrietta
    Show
    Though you had hardly cared to notice at first, you realize now that with the death of the Azure Heads, the static from your radio had vanished entirely - and that now, as you approach the sounds of battle, it is starting to build again.


    Aldric

    Arriving at the shrine, Aldric was greeted by a pristine marble balcony overlooking the eastern portion of the Gardens - and, next door, the Custos Pacem Sixth Circle Precinct.

    And at its gates, what could only be described as a scene of barely controlled chaos.

    More of the robed Heralds of the Eldest, accompanied by a small horde of zombies, battered at the gates, spells and bombs flying toward the ramparts from which the Custos Pacem fired down, the defenders of the city replying with arrows, bolts, and more primitive firearms.

    Overall, the Custos Pacem seemed to be doing alright for themselves, as several zombies and Heralds already lay dead upon the ground.

    Spoiler: Aldric
    Show
    Even with the advent of new, more advanced firearms like the BAC-PAT and Single Action Army, these new weapons are still far out of the range of the ordinary soldier or cop. Often, advanced firearms, such as Aldric and Haetta use, are restricted to the ranks of officers or the rich, with most soldiers who use firearms using cheaper, more primitive models such as flintlocks and muskets.


    As the rest of the party arrived at the gates, Aldric could hear the Custos Pacem shouting to them - and the zombies and Heralds turning as they realized that a new player had come to the party.

    Calantha, in the meantime, maintained her position (along with Phaeton) with the other people from the university capable of putting up a fight, guarding the flank of the refugees from anyone looking to sneak up on them.

    Aldric also noticed something else - a small, cheap-looking spyglass, likely brought as a souvenir, lying in a small heap of trash near the edge of the balcony.


    Everyone Else

    As the sounds of battle reached the party's ears, Haetta's radio crackled to life.

    "Lieutenant Haetta, be advised. The Sixth Circle Precinct is currently under attack. Reporting several Heralds and zombies. Targets are approved for Kill On Sight."

    Haetta swore. "Everyone, double-time it!"

    Reaching the edge of the Gardens, the party came upon a scene of barely controlled chaos.

    More of the robed Heralds of the Eldest, accompanied by a small horde of zombies, battered at the gates, spells and bombs flying toward the ramparts from which the Custos Pacem fired down, the defenders of the city replying with arrows, bolts, and more primitive firearms.

    Overall, the Custos Pacem seemed to be doing alright for themselves, as several zombies and Heralds already lay dead upon the ground.

    Spoiler: Octavia, Snorri, Amala, and Henrietta
    Show
    Even with the advent of new, more advanced firearms like the BAC-PAT and Single Action Army, these new weapons are still far out of the range of the ordinary soldier or cop. Often, advanced firearms, such as Aldric and Haetta use, are restricted to the ranks of officers or the rich, with most soldiers who use firearms using cheaper, more primitive models such as flintlocks and muskets.

    The arrival of the party did not go unnoticed, however, and the Custos Pacem called out to the party.

    "'bout time we got some f***in' backup! Give these hellraisers what for!"

    The Heralds and zombies whirled around.

    "THE ELDEST COMETH!"

    Spoiler: Necril
    Show
    "BRAINS!"

    Roll for initiative.

    Spoiler: Which you handily win on account of slow zombies. This is the last battle for at least a little while, I promise.
    Show
    In the meantime, however, you get to go first.

    Brandishing his revolver once again, Haetta took aim at the nearest cultist and discharged two bullets from his firearm.

    Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+8)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8]

    Rapid Shot: (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Aldric scampered up the last few steps of the shrine and thoughtfully extinguished his cigarette on his tongue before flicking it off the balcony. Resting the rifle on the railing he paused to sight the approaching party, then went to work on the mid-field targets with grim efficiency.

    Spoiler: pew pew pew pew
    Show
    Round 1 (Bonus round because Aldric arrived early)
    Rapid Attack, Focused Aim, Archaeologist's Luck. Moving from HB1 to HB2. Range penalty -4.
    HB1 (1d20+5)[8]
    damage (1d8+8)[15]
    HB1 (1d20+5)[19]
    damage (1d8+8)[10]

    Round 2, more of the same. Switch target to Cleric, resume attack on HB1/2 (additional range penalty)
    HB1 (1d20+7)[10]
    damage (1d8+8)[14]
    HB1 (1d20+7)[26]
    damage (1d8+8)[16]

    Luck: 2/9
    Grit: 4/6
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-03-30 at 01:50 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Snorri

    "It was a grey morning:
    in rain I had risen.
    I let my horse lead me
    to drink at a stream."


    The member of Söngvari Hópur moved forward and launched into his song once again, a grim smile upon his face as he wiggled his fingers and cast a spell upon the zombies around the gates to the precinct.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Snorri is not Inspiring Courage right now. He's just singing. However, he will cast Glitterdust on the zombies by the gate. I can hit them all in a 10' radius, I think.

    Spell Attack vs Z1: (1d20+6)[16]
    Spell Attack vs Z2: (1d20+6)[26]
    Spell Attack vs Z3: (1d20+6)[21]
    Spell Attack vs Z4: (1d20+6)[23]
    Spell Attack vs Z5: (1d20+6)[13]
    Spell Attack vs Z6: (1d20+6)[22]

    And it looks like everyone except Zombie Number 5 is now blind.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-03-30 at 02:53 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Surging forward, the Custos Pacem Lieutenant dragged her blade behind her drifting through the air, and reaffirmed her grip with both hands before swinging wildly at the Bomber Cultist.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Charging Power Attack HB1

    Attack:(1d20+10)[24]
    Crit:(1d20+10)[11]
    Damage:(2d6+14)[21]
    Crit:(2d6+14)[21]

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jade_Tarem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Juno

    "THE ELDEST COMETH!"

    "Enough!" Juno's bellow echoed even in the open air, getting some rather impressive reverb. Her eyes flashed - literally - before being subsumed by golden-white light. A tiny point of the same light traced a circle above her head, leaving a halo in its wake, and her wings shimmered. "Stuff your Eldest back where he came from! Eldin has no place for you!"

    Without further ado, she barreled across the intervening distance, past one of the cultists and toward one who probably considered himself safer in the back, sword singing through the air as she bore down on him.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Juno is staggered!

    But, as we had a few seconds to run over here to answer the distress call, Juno would certainly have sword in hand and a bit of altitude when rushing into something like this. Partial Charging is a viable action when Staggered and Juno can cross the 55-60 feet to the far cultist with her fly speed after using her swift action to smite.

    Factoring in Smite Evil, Charge, High Ground, and Lion's Call.

    Charging Smite Attack: (1d20+18)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[10]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Octavia

    Again? When would it end? Couldn't she just go home where things made sense?

    But even as Octavia had that thought, she squashed it. Monsters where going through the city, and if she didn't step up, there might not be a home for her to go back to. She raised her shortswords again, and charged.

    Spoiler: Turn
    Show
    Octavia's views do no necessarily reflect the views of her player. Now let's do this!

    Since Octavia's so far away, just gonna move for now. Octavia to AS14
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Amy

    The sight of Gottenburg ruined had been horrifying enough, and the encounter with the mutated corpses even more so. Combined with the somber ceremony for the desecrated grave, it left Amy in a very withdrawn state as the group cautiously picked its way through the rest of the cemetery. It wasn't until the sounds of conflict ahead picked up that the half-elf seemed to snap out of her daze and become properly aware of her surroundings once more.

    As the others charged the cultists and their undead minions, Amy could only stare in frustration and horror. That so many people could be this depraved and wantonly debased was disgusting, and the fact that they had until now acted like completely normal individuals even more so. She could feel it crystallizing into a cold hatred and anger as she stormed forward, pushing past Snorri and making for the nearest (and now only) remaining cultist.

    "Shut up! Just shut up and die you monsters!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Using move action to relocate so Amy can juuuuuuuust barely get the remaining Cultist Bomber in range.

    Mind Thrust II
    Spell Attack vs Will: (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage: (4d8)[19] halved on a successful save

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Lord Of Mantas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Epipelagic Zone
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Spoiler: Aldric - Copied from Skype
    Show
    After popping off a couple of shots, Aldric quickly took stock of his surroundings, trying to examine other avenues of approach for possible enemy reinforcements - granted, the pile of corpses outside the station was sizeable already, but better safe than sorry. First looking down the street running to the north and south, he spotted nothing of interest, save the bodies of the dead. For some reason, considering how deserted everything seemed to be, and the state of the city, he could not help but feel as if there should be more.

    Had the alarm provided enough time for most people to reach shelter? Or was it, perhaps, something more sinister?


    The street to the north and south safe, and then the one to the east yielding similar results, Aldric then looked to graveyard behind them. To the south, there lay only gravestones and monuments, solemn tributes to the long dead. But then, to the north... he spotted something.


    Oddly enough, not headed in their direction. 3 figures, hooded in the characteristic manner of the Heralds, Illuminated fainly by dim lamps and moonlight. And all of them headed in the distinctly opposite direction from the precinct, into the heart of the graveyard, with shovels on their shoulders.

    As the Herald Cleric and one of the bombers fell to the ground, the remaining one realized that between the still reasonably entrenched Custos Pacem defenders and the sudden onslaught of reinforcements, he was severely outclassed.

    Screeching in fear, he did a combat roll backwards before underhanding a frost grenade toward the party.

    The zombies, in the meantime, found themselves blinded, all but one of them stumbling over themselves as they attempted to move toward the party.

    Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    Bomber 2 moves to AY16, using an acrobatics check to attempt to avoid provoking an AoO.

    Acrobatics (vs Juno's CMD): (1d20+6)[25]

    Attack: (1d20+8)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[9] Cold
    Fortitude Attack (Staggered on Hit): (1d20+4)[19]

    Acrobatics for Z1: (1d20)[8]
    Z2: (1d20)[15]
    Z3: (1d20)[3]
    Z4: (1d20)[8]
    Z6: (1d20)[2]

    The bomb, however, missed the paladin, and her cold resistance completely negated the splash from the bomb; however, the bomber proved too nimble to leave himself open for an attack. The zombies were significantly less fortunate, all but one of them who had been blinded falling to the ground, with two of them promptly getting their heads blown off by the defenders.

    Haetta, in the meantime, attempted to kill the bomber, but his shot went wide.

    Spoiler: Round 2 Begins!
    Show
    Fight!
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-04-01 at 12:13 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

    Avatar of Kotka done by Ceika!

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Othniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere cold.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Snorri

    "As we drew near it
    I heard someone singing
    a song full of glory,
    of ravens and steel."


    Moving forward, Snorri continued his song, this time putting more feeling into it as he strove to inspire his comrades.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move to AR17.
    Standard Action to Inspire Courage: +1 attack and damage, as well as +1 to saves against charm and fear.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

  28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    By Aldric's count he had twenty seven 5.56 rounds left and he intended to use them all before the night was over. He didn't hesitate when he saw the cultists. All of the truly dangerous targets were down and the party would fare fine against the handful of zombies. He immediately swept north a few paces, paused to steady himself, and squeezed off two shots at the back of the lead cultist.

    Spoiler: 5' step and Full Attack
    Show
    (1d20+7)[16]
    damage (1d8+8)[13]
    (1d20+7)[10]
    damage (1d8+8)[10]

    Luck 1/10, Grit 4/6

    Attack the farthest cultist, then second farthest if he drops.
    Edit: +1 attack and damage from Inspire Courage
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-04-01 at 12:20 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jade_Tarem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Juno

    The paladin emerged from the burst of frigid air unharmed, unfettered, and unamused. She circled around to cut off the cultist's escape route before swooping in for a new attack. The stroke met the cultist's neck, encountered resistance, and kept going. "He died as he lived - making poor choices."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rinse and repeat, but this time with Inspire Courage.

    Attack: (1d20+19)[29]
    Damage: (1d8+10)[17]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2016-04-01 at 12:28 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

    Henrietta

    Standing over the recently sliced apart corpse of an Eldest Cultist, Henrietta staggered to the side briefly as she regained her footing, and quickly bounded off towards the nearest zombie. Great sword sweeping behind her, she sprinted at full force, crushing the skull of the cultist infront of her in the process, and leaped forwards with killing intent as she brought both of her hands together and swung down upon the zombies skull. Watching its skull explode right before her eyes, she continued dragging the blade down in one violent and jerky motion, brutally sawing through its rotted ribcage and then bisecting it cleanly down the center with a twist of her blade.

    Spoiler: Attack
    Show

    Charging Power Attack against Z5

    Attack:(1d20+10)[19]
    Crit:(1d20+10)[22]
    Damage:(2d6+14)[20]
    Crit:(2d6+14)[23]
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2016-04-01 at 02:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •