New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Reaper's Blade - New Cleric and Warlock Cantrip

So with the introduction of green-flame blade and booming blade to 5e, I decided to make a necromancy version of the gish cantrips, so that the Death Cleric and Undying Warlock could have something to play with. So, without further ado, here is reaper's blade.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Reaper's Blade - New Cleric and Warlock Cantrip

This would be a huge boon to the Death Cleric. Since, as long as they had two enemies right next to each other, they'd essentially get an Extra Attack. I like it thematically - and the Death Cleric is an extremely niche option, but it gives the Death Cleric some pretty serious staying power at lower levels; whereas the healing will be trivial at best when you reach higher levels.

EDIT: when combined with Touch of Death, this is seriously powerful.
    Last edited by GandalfTheWhite; 2015-12-25 at 09:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    This would be a huge boon to the Death Cleric. Since, as long as they had two enemies right next to each other, they'd essentially get an Extra Attack. I like it thematically - and the Death Cleric is an extremely niche option, but it gives the Death Cleric some pretty serious staying power at lower levels; whereas the healing will be trivial at best when you reach higher levels.

EDIT: when combined with Touch of Death, this is seriously powerful.
    I honest opinion it's not op to f two guys with same turn hell if you use home brew then pop void patrons 14 power after this and watch them become religious on the spot by Cthulhu revaluations

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I just imagine necromancers everywhere carrying around a bag of rats and cutting them down during breaks to get their HP filled. If I was a necromancer, I would go donate my blood (or kidneys) then be an exterminator for a living. Big money.

EDIT: To be more clear with my point, I more worry about the out of combat usage of this cantrip.
    Last edited by ji6; 2015-12-26 at 01:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ji6 View Post
    I just imagine necromancers everywhere carrying around a bag of rats and cutting them down during breaks to get their HP filled. If I was a necromancer, I would go donate my blood (or kidneys) then be an exterminator for a living. Big money.

EDIT: To be more clear with my point, I more worry about the out of combat usage of this cantrip.
    I added a clause that would fix that issue: "you recover hit points equal to half the damage dealt, if the target is hostile to you."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think the issue is that cantrips shouldn't be able to restore HP in any way, shape or form. There's going to be a way to abuse them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    I think the issue is that cantrips shouldn't be able to restore HP in any way, shape or form. There's going to be a way to abuse them.
    Okay. What rider effect would you give this? green-flame blade does secondary target damage, booming blade does additional damage on a move...maybe you can't heal for damage dealt by reaper's blade? Except that you don't see enemies healing all that often.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Temporary hit points have the advantage of not stacking. Serves a similar purpose with much more limited out of combat potential.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Temporary hit points have the advantage of not stacking. Serves a similar purpose with much more limited out of combat potential.
    Okay, I like this.

EDIT: I made the change. Instead of healing for half, you get temporary hit points equal to half.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2015-12-26 at 05:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Okay, I like this.

EDIT: I made the change. Instead of healing for half, you get temporary hit points equal to half.
    I like this a lot better! Seems balanced and awesome now! Kinda wish necromancer wizards got it too, but they already have all the awesome stuff :p

Edit: I even think the hostile clause seems reasonable to remove now, since it seems weird that attacking them with a blade did not make them hostile
    Last edited by ji6; 2015-12-26 at 06:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Welp, I will be giving this to my players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

i love the rework with the temp hp, definitely something thats nice without it being too op.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    I honest opinion it's not op to f two guys with same turn hell if you use home brew then pop void patrons 14 power after this and watch them become religious on the spot by Cthulhu revaluations
    is that a reference to my void lock?