New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Grief In the Shell: Madokapunk FFRP OOC/Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Seeing all these cybernetic cops I just can't help but picture them all as this guy.
    Captain Leon is a Cylon, Satou is Robocop, and Duncan is the Winter Soldier. At least as far as degrees of cyberneticism, in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Aaaand the captain has approval! Who doesn't love a brain in a jar in an android in a tank in the police department?
    Filthy criminal scum, that's who.

Neo-Mitakihara is a thriving, healthy democracy and is a wonderful place to live. The number of walking deathbots is for your own protection, citizen.
    They're protectobots, not death bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    Good to see you too! Sorry, forgot to respond to this yesterday. Looking forward to their interactions as well!

I do hope that at some point Kuroimaken's prediction comes true.
    You're good, and....

You just KNOW these two are going to be in a reality TV show at some point.
    It'd be the most metal version of Cops you've ever seen.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*Ponders how to have Dunny, who's nominally Catholic, not offend someone in the IC scenario.*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I don't think that anyone who enters a shrine *has* to carry out any prayers. Even in today's much more culturally unified Japan, people who don't wish to worship are allowed to play tourist. I believe that he could just take his shoes off, wash up, and wait while Satou does the Shinto stuff.

If it helps, Turnbull probably can tell that Satou believes in this shrine only barely more than he does.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    Well, I don't think that anyone who enters a shrine *has* to carry out any prayers. Even in today's much more culturally unified Japan, people who don't wish to worship are allowed to play tourist. I believe that he could just take his shoes off, wash up, and wait while Satou does the Shinto stuff.

If it helps, Turnbull probably can tell that Satou believes in this shrine only barely more than he does.
    That's fair! I figure Turnbull has a better idea of what's allowed and polite and such. I just, uh, don't.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Y'know, I take it back. Satou strikes me as a mix of Humphrey Bogart and Batou personality-wise at this point.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah. Well, Satou has a few Robocop-ish tendencies in fights, but yeah, he's kind of a noir sort.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

You are now free to despair in Makoto's reckless disregard for the lives of catgirls.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kind of waiting for both Draken's response and the results of the informative conversation with the priest for my next IC post, in case it's unclear.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

^ Why yes, you did figure out that my message doesn't fit the minimum character limit.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Duncan has nothing of substance to add right this moment, he's mostly just listening while exposition happens; don't feel obligated to wait for a response from him just yet.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

I have a problem. BUT THIS THING. IT JUST CAME OUT OF MY HEAD. I couldn't stop my hands! I just couldn't!

Song Zhen
    Spoiler
    Show
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 154
    Faction: NMSF affiliate
    Station: Mashou Correspondent
    Speech: #660000 / #696969

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rather pale young woman of chinese descent, Song Zhen usually has her immaculate black hair cut into an orderly short style that hangs just past her ears on the sides. Her eyebrows are distinctively broad, and her eyes a piercing shade of ocean blue, giving the impression of silent but pressing judgement to whoever she gazes upon. She is thin and tall, but fairly muscular nonetheless, having made her contract at an unusual age where her physical development was complete. She usually wears clothing reminiscent of military uniform, usually aligned with the NMSF. Her soulgem is set into an intricate pendant with loose ties to the goddess religion.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When she is not quietly indulging in internal dialogue, Song Zhen is rather commandeering and intense. Every word is concise and cutting. Her tone may be a bit odd or formal for casual conversation, which likely makes her fairly uncomfortable company. Zhen is quite defensive of the Goddess religion (cult) and those who devote themselves to it, especially mashou, taking the vow of protection that the religion (cult) espouses extremely seriously. She is fairly dismissive of outsiders to the religion in day-to-day interaction, making it that much harder to approach her.

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A chinese refugee at age 8 from a town that suffered a bloody wraith assault, Song Zhen was brought to Japan and Neo-Mitakihara by a benevolent group of Goddess cultists (who helped clean up the wraith congregation, but the town had already suffered a large population loss). They helped apply her to the refugee immigration program, and when she was accepted (thankfully after a not-terribly-long time of 4 months) took her in, giving her shelter and other necessities. Naturally, Zhen took well to these do-gooders, and became a devout practitioner to the religion (cult). Surrounded by Mashou, she heard stories of compassion and love that uplifted her spirit from the bleak hole she'd found herself in within the splintered chinese countryside.

Of course, that was all cut short when one of the sisters, Sato Aoi, was murdered. During a cooperative wraith hunt, a rival mashou (with some links to the Yakuza), Himura Hikari, "accidentally" struck Aoi's soul gem with a magical projectile. Interrogations made it murky as to whether it was an actual accident, but Wishcraft took a policy of forgiveness, allowing her and her companions to go free. Zhen's world shattered again. Aoi was like an older sister to her. And so, she did something extremely foolish. Calling out to the small enclave's usual hangabout incubator, she negotiated her contract. She became... something dark. She became a hunter of the sinful, clad in blood.

She was not satisfied with simply targeting Hikari first. She took her closest companion first. Then the next. When she finally cut Hikari down, it was not enough. Those responsible for the decision to let Hikari free... those even unapologetic for the injustice. It went on for bloody days, before exhausted and near a corruption breaking point, the sisters of the Goddess cult enclave led her into a trap, talking her down from her path of retribution. Sorrow overcame her anger, saving her from destruction.

Execution was strongly considered when it came to Zhen's fate, but in a somewhat ironic twist, Wishcraft (respecting the NMSF's input) chose the same verdict, with provisions for intensive therapy, daily oversight in a controlled facility, and allowed along on wraith hunts with supervision. Over the course of two years, Zhen went along with this before being allowed being allowed some independence, able to live on her own with surveillance and scheduled check-ins.

Living with the guilt of her actions, Zhen saw fit to try and make it right, offering her services to the NMSF where they would choose to take it.

Contract:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wish: "To punish the wicked and sinful, and make them suffer for their transgressions. To hunt them to the ends of the earth if need be."
    Monikers: Sinhunter, Executioner
    Thematics: Vengeance, Punishment, Pursuit.
    Costume: A cross between some manner of medieval robe and armor, mostly the greaves and gauntlets. A bit of exposed skin between her boots and the skirt of her robe. A hood covers her head, and a black mask fits over the top half of her face, with no visible eye holes or other method of sight (she can definitely see in some capacity, however). The robe/armor is lined with lines of gold filigree. The weapons Zhen conjures are large and intimidating, great swords, execution axes, and morning stars with some modern decoration, each of them glowing with golden fury when in use. She also makes use of chains and other conjured bonding devices.
    Abilities: A fearsome hunter, Zhen's powers focus on the punishment and pursuit of those who have committed immoral acts.
    • Pursuer: If Zhen speaks a person's name with knowledge of their face, while invoking a small amount of magical energy, she is immediately aware of their position in relation to her. This instinct gives her knowledge of the shortest and safest path to her quarry. This effect lasts for as long as she wishes, or until she leaves her magica form.
    • Inquisition: Zhen is inherently aware of each sin a person is responsible for when she observes them for an elongated period of time. This can be from tame as stealing a neighbor's newspaper to murder or worse.
    • Karmic Retribution: Zhen's weapons crackle with vindication for every sin a quarry has committed, and when striking someone, whether it is a nick or a full-on strike, they suffer a lingering effect for their transgressions, sapping at their vitality... or worse. For humans, this manifests as a manner of poison, making them drowsy and numb to sensation, before eventually losing consciousness (falling into fitful dreams of their wrongdoings). For magica, this punishment is much crueler. It speeds the corruption of their soul gem, and actually rots their body to degrees dependent on the severity of their sins. For those with power suffer worse for its misuse. This "poison" runs its course fairly quickly, and can be fought off with sufficient willpower or dispelling magics. But each strike is a judging blow, renewing the assault.
    • Sinner's Cage: By invoking a bit of magic and stabbing her weapon into the ground, Zhen can summon a host of blades and bars to stab up at an opponent, constructing a cage of blades if they aren't canny enough to move out of the way.
    • Finisher: Hellfire Trial: A finisher move, Zhen can focus all of the potential retributive energy she can unleash on a quarry, bathing them in an explosive ground-emanating pillar of scathing, burning energy. Naturally, the intensity of the attack is proportional to the sins the quarry has committed. Unlike her Karmic Retribution, this attack does not distinguish between mortal or mashou, burning each the same. As such, it is an attack of last resort with Zhen's more merciful outlook in recent days.

Perception: Song Zhen is viewed as either a tragic tale, or as a bloody murderer, depending on who you ask. It's a bit of a polarizing issue, because anyone who knows of her has an opinion of whether or not she should have been executed. There's an argument, perhaps, that her recent exploits have led to some good, but it is undeniable that she is no less sinful than those she struck down.

Last edited by strawberryman; 2016-01-26 at 06:59 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    I have a problem. BUT THIS THING. IT JUST CAME OUT OF MY HEAD. I couldn't stop my hands! I just couldn't!

Song Zhen
    Spoiler
    Show
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 154
    Faction: NMSF affiliate
    Station: Mashou Correspondent
    Speech: #660000 / #696969

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rather pale young woman of chinese descent, Song Zhen usually has her immaculate black hair cut into an orderly short style that hangs just past her ears on the sides. Her eyebrows are distinctively broad, and her eyes a piercing shade of ocean blue, giving the impression of silent but pressing judgement to whoever she gazes upon. She is thin and tall, but fairly muscular nonetheless, having made her contract at an unusual age where her physical development was complete. She usually wears clothing reminiscent of military uniform, usually aligned with the NMSF. Her soulgem is set into an intricate pendant with loose ties to the goddess religion.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When she is not quietly indulging in internal dialogue, Song Zhen is rather commandeering and intense. Every word is concise and cutting. Her tone may be a bit odd or formal for casual conversation, which likely makes her fairly uncomfortable company. Zhen is quite defensive of the Goddess religion (cult) and those who devote themselves to it, especially mashou, taking the vow of protection that the religion (cult) espouses extremely seriously. She is fairly dismissive of outsiders to the religion in day-to-day interaction, making it that much harder to approach her.

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A chinese refugee at age 8 from a town that suffered a bloody wraith assault, Song Zhen was brought to Japan and Neo-Mitakihara by a benevolent group of Goddess cultists (who helped clean up the wraith congregation, but the town had already suffered a large population loss). They helped apply her to the refugee immigration program, and when she was accepted (thankfully after a not-terribly-long time of 4 months) took her in, giving her shelter and other necessities. Naturally, Zhen took well to these do-gooders, and became a devout practitioner to the religion (cult). Surrounded by Mashou, she heard stories of compassion and love that uplifted her spirit from the bleak hole she'd found herself in within the splintered chinese countryside.

Of course, that was all cut short when one of the sisters, Sato Aoi, was murdered. During a cooperative wraith hunt, a rival mashou (with some links to the Yakuza), Himura Hikari, "accidentally" struck Aoi's soul gem with a magical projectile. Interrogations made it murky as to whether it was an actual accident, but Wishcraft took a policy of forgiveness, allowing her and her companions to go free. Zhen's world shattered again. Aoi was like an older sister to her. And so, she did something extremely foolish. Calling out to the small enclave's usual hangabout incubator, she negotiated her contract. She became... something dark. She became a hunter of the sinful, clad in blood.

She was not satisfied with simply targeting Hikari first. She took her closest companion first. Then the next. When she finally cut Hikari down, it was not enough. Those responsible for the decision to let Hikari free... those even unapologetic for the injustice. It went on for bloody days, before exhausted and near a corruption breaking point, the sisters of the Goddess cult enclave led her into a trap, talking her down from her path of retribution. Sorrow overcame her anger, saving her from destruction.

Execution was strongly considered when it came to Zhen's fate, but in a somewhat ironic twist, Wishcraft (respecting the NMSF's input) chose the same verdict, with provisions for intensive therapy, daily oversight in a controlled facility, and allowed along on wraith hunts with supervision. Over the course of two years, Zhen went along with this before being allowed being allowed some independence, able to live on her own with surveillance and scheduled check-ins.

Living with the guilt of her actions, Zhen saw fit to try and make it right, offering her services to the NMSF where they would choose to take it.

Contract:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wish: "To punish the wicked and sinful, and make them suffer for their transgressions. To hunt them to the ends of the earth if need be."
    Monikers: Sinhunter, Executioner
    Thematics: Vengeance, Punishment, Pursuit.
    Costume: A cross between some manner of medieval robe and armor, mostly the greaves and gauntlets. A bit of exposed skin between her boots and the skirt of her robe. A hood covers her head, and a black mask fits over the top half of her face, with no visible eye holes or other method of sight (she can definitely see in some capacity, however). The robe/armor is lined with lines of gold filigree. The weapons Zhen conjures are large and intimidating, great swords, execution axes, and morning stars with some modern decoration, each of them glowing with golden fury when in use.
    Abilities: A fearsome hunter, Zhen's powers focus on the punishment and pursuit of those who have committed immoral acts.
    • Pursuer: If Zhen speaks a person's name with knowledge of their face, while invoking a small amount of magical energy, she is immediately aware of their position in relation to her. This instinct gives her knowledge of the shortest and safest path to her quarry. This effect lasts for as long as she wishes, or until she leaves her magica form.
    • Inquisition: Zhen is inherently aware of each sin a person is responsible for when she observes them for an elongated period of time. This can be from tame as stealing a neighbor's newspaper to murder or worse.
    • Karmic Retribution: Zhen's weapons crackle with vindication for every sin a quarry has committed, and when striking someone, whether it is a nick or a full-on strike, they suffer a lingering effect for their transgressions, sapping at their vitality... or worse. For humans, this manifests as a manner of poison, making them drowsy and numb to sensation, before eventually losing consciousness (falling into fitful dreams of their wrongdoings). For magica, this punishment is much crueler. It speeds the corruption of their soul gem, and actually rots their body to degrees dependent on the severity of their sins. For those with power suffer worse for its misuse. This "poison" runs its course fairly quickly, and can be fought off with sufficient willpower or dispelling magics. But each strike is a judging blow, renewing the assault.

Perception: Song Zhen is viewed as either a tragic tale, or as a bloody murderer, depending on who you ask. It's a bit of a polarizing issue, because anyone who knows of her has an opinion of whether or not she should have been executed. There's an argument, perhaps, that her recent exploits have led to some good, but it is undeniable that she is no less sinful than those she struck down.

Zhen looks solid! Approved, and looking forward to seeing where she goes.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

All right, so here we go.

Spoiler: Rio's Contract
    Show
    Wish: "I want this to end, just... like it never happened."
    Thematics: Compassion, Healing, Friendship
    Costume: A white hooded robe with red triangles around the end of the skirt (which ends at her upper thighs). Her soulgem rests on a ribbon on the collar. Her "weapon" is a fairly simple wooden staff with a crook.
    Abilities: Rio's abilities are odd, being entirely magical in nature, and having no direct offensive bite. However, she is a very efficient and effective healer, and she can channel her energy into highly effective "buff" skills, empowering even normal mortal beings to be able to fight wraiths.
    Perception: Well, she just started her career, but her wish reversed the damage of a horrific bombing, so she's off to a good start!
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just so it's clear, strawbs, Dunny's the irritated one, not me.
    But if anyone's gonna a.) get touchy about his booze and b.) have something in place to at least slow down the super-duper-awesome-extra-leet hacker types, since he's not himself a computer science major, it'd be Dunny.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Eh, no worries, I don't take this stuff personally. Nadica is rude and pushes boundaries a lot.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

16. - Top - End - #76

How long do sins last for Zhen's sight? Does it count any negative act, or just recent ones?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Pretty much from birth. However she sees them without context or timeframe. They are also based on her own morality instead of the target person's, so someone who might not have any guilt for something she finds objectionable are still targeted.

As far as her morality goes, if it is something that even mildly hurts another person (physically, emotionally, economically or socially), it is considered sinful.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2016-01-24 at 11:04 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #78

As far as Inquisition goes, is there any distinction about when the crimes were committed, or is it just a list?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Like I said, she has no sense of timeframe. It is basically a way of saying "whatever anybody who encounters her feels like giving", if she happens to observe somebody for a extended period of time (even out of costume). She could probably get a fuller picture the longer she observes someone. But yeah.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, Strawbs has been nudging me to write this guy for a while now, so here it is.

Hasunaga Heiaki (real name unknown)

Spoiler
    Show

Aliases: Dawnbringer, Big Boss, Vic Boss, Snake, The Legendary Mercenary/Soldier, Jack
    Height: 192 cm
    Weight: 89 kg

Spoiler: Physical Description
    Show
    Despite his age, Hasunaga cuts a fairly impressive figure for a man with no visible mechanical augmentations. Most of the time, he's dressed in a simple pair of slacks, a white dress shirt, and a black tie, often with rolled-up sleeves. He also wears an eyepatch over his right eye. His muscle tone does not belong on a man his apparent age, but his age proves a capable enough form of deceiving others in that regard. He appears to be of mixed descent, but figuring out the exact details would be difficult for even the most experienced anthropologist. He can often be seen smoking cigars.

Spoiler: History
    Show

It is easier to list the number of things that are NOT known about the Dawnbringer. His nationality, for one, is completely unknown, as are his actual date of birth or who his parents are.

The things that ARE known are written in the history books. There are several chapters, biographies and studies on the subject - least known of which is, ironically, his self-published work on his life, which has since been conspicuously absent from both physical and digital libraries. Conspiracy theorists abound for the reason behind this.

The earliest publicly available records of Snake's activity date back to the early 21st century, as conflicts involving mashou first started escalating. Back then, Snake emerged as one of the most prominent figures on the battlefield, often fighting on the side of the US and its allies. His specialty were solo infiltration missions, which for some reason often ended in large scale one-man army conflicts. Sometime around 2015, however, his initial allegiances with the US military were apparently cut off as he set to create a private military group known as FOXHOUND. It was then his popularity began to soar as he took mission after mission to eliminate armed conflict everywhere. In the years that followed, Wishcraft frequently employed him and his image in an effort to cull mashou-based military across the globe - it would be no exaggeration to say that without Big Boss' aid, the Foundation would have taken perhaps twice as long to reach its current size and respectability. But Big Boss was also known for often fighting for little to no gain, in the defense of those weaker than their opponents, which helped cement the independence of a number of nations in Eastern Europe within the latter half of the 21st century - it is said that the mere sight of him would sometimes have his opponents surrender altogether without firing a single shot, just for the opportunity to work with him. Such was his charisma.

Sometime around 2084, Big Boss was declared missing. No one knows the reason, though it is suspected his part in the liberation of several smaller nations left the major countries in such a political position that he was assassinated. FOXHOUND has since supposedly disbanded, though former members are still often recognized among the ranks of different military and private security companies.

Spoiler: Abilities and characteristics
    Show

Augments: Hasunaga has received a number of military grade "softmod" wetware enhancements, though many of them are outdated by at least a decade. He is often slow to upgrade, owing to his wish to continue inconspicuous.

Military experience: Snake has enough battlefield experience to put even the most advanced tactical Miko to shame, and certainly enough combat ability to floor all but the most hardened of military veterans in one or two moves. He has been trained extensively in psychology, tactics, espionage, sabotage, weaponry, and foreign languages. Many modern military training manuals were either written by him or based on his exploits.

Hacking: Snake is a passable hacker, though by no means an expert on the field. He relies mostly on his espionage training to remain off the radar. When all else fails, he prefers to hardwire a system than to keep trying to break through security.

Variable age: Back when he was on the battlefield, Big Boss looked fairly old for a mashou, somewhere in the 20-30 age range. Sometimes he'd look older, sometimes younger. Currently, when not transformed, he looks to be on his late 80's. There is no explanation for this mysterious phenomenon.

Spoiler: Mashou abilities
    Show

Wish: Unknown.

Thematics: Light, the Sun, hope, purification, military, protection.

Immunities: Hasunaga cannot be blinded, poisoned or drugged in any way. Abilities that rely on circulating through his bloodstream either do not work at all, or have only partial effect (for this reason, it takes him lethal quantities of alcohol just to get drunk, smoking does not affect his lungs on the long term, and he's practically incapable of having his pain dulled by medicine). He can also purge toxins from another person or mashou, but he needs to touch them for this effect.

Light Control: Hasunaga is able to control light to many effects. The most common involve visual stealth (Predator-style, which makes him detectable by the distortions where light bends around him, but makes him undetectable by light-based sensors, including thermal scanning), holograms (easily distinguishable with a careful look, as they possess a shimmering quality of their own), hard light holograms (which can actually hurt on their own), and laser projection. Needless to say, at the highest setting his flashbang COULD make someone permanently blind (at least without medical help). He can also dampen light, making certain locations darker, but not create absolute darkness. The stronger the light sources around him, the more powerful his attacks can be (so you don't want to fight this guy in the cloudless noonday sun).

Light Awareness: Hasunaga doesn't need his eyes to 'see'. He is able to read the information from light reflected on objects, however minimal, in order to perceive the world around him. This effectively grants him 360º vision, the ability to see in the dark (as long as there is minimum light, so he can't see into a windowless, hermetically sealed room, for instance, unless he creates some light of his own) and the ability to see through doors or windows from which light can escape. His effective range for this special form of vision is roughly 100 feet at night, unaided, or 400 feet if using a scope of some sort (which helps focus the light towards him).

Weaponry:... basically, think Green Lantern. He can create pretty much any weapon out of light. He has a preference for weapons with forms and comparative (in mashou scale) impacts to real guns, though he won't object to making truly ludicrous big cannons. Oh, and he can create a solid light giant robot. One of his most common uses is to create a skintight "armor" that blends in with the environment, like camouflage, so he doesn't need to actively bend light around himself for stealth (which takes more out of him). He will often enlarge this armor to increase its impact, the parts of which he can detach and send flying at will.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2016-01-25 at 09:57 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Alright, Strawbs has been nudging me to write this guy for a while now, so here it is.

Hasunaga Heiaki (real name unknown)

Spoiler
    Show

Aliases: Dawnbringer, Big Boss, Vic Boss, Snake, The Legendary Mercenary/Soldier, Jack
    Height: 192 cm
    Weight: 89 kg

Spoiler: Physical Description
    Show
    Despite his age, Hasunaga cuts a fairly impressive figure for a man with no visible mechanical augmentations. Most of the time, he's dressed in a simple pair of slacks, a white dress shirt, and a black tie, often with rolled-up sleeves. He also wears an eyepatch over his right eye. His muscle tone does not belong on a man his apparent age, but his age proves a capable enough form of deceiving others in that regard. He appears to be of mixed descent, but figuring out the exact details would be difficult for even the most experienced anthropologist. He can often be seen smoking cigars.

Spoiler: History
    Show

It is easier to list the number of things that are NOT known about the Dawnbringer. His nationality, for one, is completely unknown, as are his actual date of birth or who his parents are.

The things that ARE known are written in the history books. There are several chapters, biographies and studies on the subject - least known of which is, ironically, his self-published work on his life, which has since been conspicuously absent from both physical and digital libraries. Conspiracy theorists abound for the reason behind this.

The earliest publicly available records of Snake's activity date back to the early 21st century, as conflicts involving mashou first started escalating. Back then, Snake emerged as one of the most prominent figures on the battlefield, often fighting on the side of the US and its allies. His specialty were solo infiltration missions, which for some reason often ended in large scale one-man army conflicts. Sometime around 2015, however, his initial allegiances with the US military were apparently cut off as he set to create a private military group known as FOXHOUND. It was then his popularity began to soar as he took mission after mission to eliminate armed conflict everywhere. In the years that followed, Wishcraft frequently employed him and his image in an effort to cull mashou-based military across the globe - it would be no exaggeration to say that without Big Boss' aid, the Foundation would have taken perhaps twice as long to reach its current size and respectability. But Big Boss was also known for often fighting for little to no gain, in the defense of those weaker than their opponents, which helped cement the independence of a number of nations in Eastern Europe within the latter half of the 21st century - it is said that the mere sight of him would sometimes have his opponents surrender altogether without firing a single shot, just for the opportunity to work with him. Such was his charisma.

Sometime around 2084, Big Boss was declared missing. No one knows the reason, though it is suspected his part in the liberation of several smaller nations left the major countries in such a political position that he was assassinated. FOXHOUND has since supposedly disbanded, though former members are still often recognized among the ranks of different military and private security companies.

Spoiler: Abilities and characteristics
    Show

Augments: Hasunaga has received a number of military grade "softmod" wetware enhancements, though many of them are outdated by at least a decade. He is often slow to upgrade, owing to his wish to continue inconspicuous.

Military experience: Snake has enough battlefield experience to put even the most advanced tactical Miko to shame, and certainly enough combat ability to floor all but the most hardened of military veterans in one or two moves. He has been trained extensively in psychology, tactics, espionage, sabotage, weaponry, and foreign languages. Many modern military training manuals were either written by him or based on his exploits.

Hacking: Snake is a passable hacker, though by no means an expert on the field. He relies mostly on his espionage training to remain off the radar. When all else fails, he prefers to hardwire a system than to keep trying to break through security.

Variable age: Back when he was on the battlefield, Big Boss looked fairly old for a mashou, somewhere in the 20-30 age range. Sometimes he'd look older, sometimes younger. Currently, when not transformed, he looks to be on his late 80's. There is no explanation for this mysterious phenomenon.

Spoiler: Mashou abilities
    Show

Wish: Unknown.

Thematics: Light, the Sun, hope, purification, military, protection.

Immunities: Hasunaga cannot be blinded, poisoned or drugged in any way. Abilities that rely on circulating through his bloodstream either do not work at all, or have only partial effect (for this reason, it takes him lethal quantities of alcohol just to get drunk, smoking does not affect his lungs on the long term, and he's practically incapable of having his pain dulled by medicine). He can also purge toxins from another person or mashou, but he needs to touch them for this effect.

Light Control: Hasunaga is able to control light to many effects. The most common involve visual stealth (Predator-style, which makes him detectable by the distortions where light bends around him, but makes him undetectable by light-based sensors, including thermal scanning), holograms (easily distinguishable with a careful look, as they possess a shimmering quality of their own), hard light holograms (which can actually hurt on their own), and laser projection. Needless to say, at the highest setting his flashbang COULD make someone permanently blind (at least without medical help). He can also dampen light, making certain locations darker, but not create absolute darkness. The stronger the light sources around him, the more powerful his attacks can be (so you don't want to fight this guy in the cloudless noonday sun).

Light Awareness: Hasunaga doesn't need his eyes to 'see'. He is able to read the information from light reflected on objects, however minimal, in order to perceive the world around him. This effectively grants him 360º vision, the ability to see in the dark (as long as there is minimum light, so he can't see into a windowless, hermetically sealed room, for instance, unless he creates some light of his own) and the ability to see through doors or windows from which light can escape. His effective range for this special form of vision is roughly 100 feet at night, unaided, or 400 feet if using a scope of some sort (which helps focus the light towards him).

Weaponry:... basically, think Green Lantern. He can create pretty much any weapon out of light. He has a preference for weapons with forms and comparative (in mashou scale) impacts to real guns, though he won't object to making truly ludicrous big cannons. Oh, and he can create a solid light giant robot. One of his most common uses is to create a skintight "armor" that blends in with the environment, like camouflage, so he doesn't need to actively bend light around himself for stealth (which takes more out of him). He will often enlarge this armor to increase its impact, the parts of which he can detach and send flying at will.
    Of all the things I was expecting as submissions, I don't think "Literally an alternate universe Big Boss" was on it. I'm pretty sure Leon's warmech isn't a metal gear, but it couldn't hurt to check. You never know with those things.

I'm admittedly not sure where this guy fits, but the concept itself is sound. I'll approve it! Though given the nature of this guy and his particular themes and skillsets, I'd like to hear some of what you've got planned so I can work around integrating him nicely.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

22. - Top - End - #82

Well, now that he's passed basic muster, I do have an objection regarding Hasunaga that I would prefer to see addressed.

Hasunaga completely eviscerates Leysa as a character. She was designed with the idea of being one of the oldest Mashou both specifically associated with the Wishcraft foundation and in general, simultaneously one of their most recognizable personalities and a face to put to their military aspects. A walking piece of history, and one of the strongest mashous in the world.

Leysa is old, Hasunaga is (I suspect dramatically) older. Leysa has been working with the Wishcraft foundation for decades, He's been working with Wishcraft for longer because of an age that goes well beyond improbable in the setting and single-handedly enabled its rise. Leysa got famous from being in one war, Hasunaga got famous from ending multiple wars with one mission each time. Leysa has gone on missions in many war zones, Hasunaga basically single-handedly solved war as a concept simply by virtue of being that good. He also did this while every mashou-based military effort on the planet and writing every military textbook still used decades later.

Additionally, I spent a lot of effort trying to come up with a power set that, while extremely strong, was still balanced and had counters available for Leysa. Hasunaga's powers are "I can create solid matter at will, do anything involving light manipulation, 360 x-ray vision, tactical knowledge explicitly outdoing that of a supercomputer, and I'm totally immune to both drugs and poison and can cure other people just like [Discussion of any real religion is banned by forum policy], who I could probably take in a fight." Additionally, darkness doesn't weaken him, extra light makes him even stronger.

As things are now, Leysa was, and is, a budget Hasunaga both in and out of setting. This is, understandably I hope, distressing to me.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not angry about this; I think the problem here is more mismatched approaches than anything else.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2016-01-26 at 12:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

I don't personally mind another old person if there's a good reason for it but Dorizzit brings up some valid concerns, so.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

For what it's worth, I didn't detect any actual anger from your points, Dorizzit, so no worries there.

Well, I believe there are some key differences between Leysa and Hasunaga. For one thing, there is nothing that really prevents them from having cooperated at one point - so she knows he's real, whereas for most people he's kind of a boogeyman. A good deal of people who interacted directly with him when he first established his fame are dead, and most folks who interacted with him afterwards did so when his fame was already established. He actually pissed off a number of people in power, so there could be a great deal of work in deconstructing the kind of image he built for himself along the years - it would be simple enough to turn him into a political villain, someone that Leysa could be tasked with fighting once he emerged.

To be fair, I wouldn't know how to address most of your concerns and keep the character still being who he is. But I'm open to suggestions.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Putting something remotely resembling a limitation on anything he's done, ever, would be a good start. Any kind of actual character flaw would be another.

Him being a "boogeyman" figure of questionable existence makes zero sense combined with the current entry: he was directly and personally responsible for Wishcraft's rise, he was directly and personally responsible for ending multiple wars, he was directly and personally responsible most modern military literature, and he explicitly has multiple biographies on him and is a figure of public existence and fame during the information age. His existence cannot, logically, be ambiguous while aligning with any of the above points.

And, to be perfectly frank, if you can't keep the core concept of the character without numerous, flagrantly unlikely aspects to their backstory which place them blatantly above almost any other character in the game, it's a bad character. As Hasunaga is written, he turns the entire rest of the cast into Super Friends Aqua Man. Hasunaga doesn't have areas where he's outdone, he has areas where he magnanimously steps aside and allows other characters to feel good about themselves.

I'm also kind of confused about how it's physically possible to run a smear campaign against someone who single-handedly enabled the rise of one of the most beneficial charities on the planet, ended war as a concept, and is sufficiently charismatic to end battles by flexing and flashing a come-hither smile at the enemy army.

As far as suggestion about limitations go, I do have some ideas for you, which you can take, leave, or modify however you choose:

Completely eliminate his involvement with the Wishcraft Foundation. He doesn't need it, and that would go a long ways towards placating me, at least.
    If the boogeyman aspects are something you want, tone down his historical importance; make him a behind-the-scenes figure, someone largely unknown but still relevant. He could easily be a legendary super soldier without repeatedly ending wars with individual missions.
    Get rid of the hard light aspects of his power set. As things are, his abilities are insanely flexible, especially for MSMM. Mashous in this series tend to have pretty limited abilities.
    Get rid of the light manipulation aspect of his power set. Refluff the matter generation as something else. Again, this limits his options without crippling him.
    Make him completely useless with modern technology. You can only catch up so fast. Put him totally out of his depth as far as current tech in the setting goes.
    Make him terrible with people. More of an isolated lone-soldier type.
    Get rid of the random age changing. It's shoe-horned in for the character because every version of Hasunaga does it. It doesn't make any sense in the setting and there is, as far as I can tell, no good reason for it to be present. Mashou don't age, that's part of the point.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2016-01-26 at 11:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Again, to be fair, I wasn't aware of how close Leysa and Hasunaga were in terms of partial concept. I hadn't read her bio.

Here are a few things I considered based on your observations:

-Eliminate ties with Wishcraft: Certainly could work. I'd just make him at least initially associated with one of the world power's militaries. From then on, he breaks up with them, goes off on his own, creates a mercenary outfit. Wishcraft may or may not have hired him to do missions to weaken mashou-based conflict on certain areas, and then used said weakened state to stamp out the conflict altogether. (That way, while he has a hand in it, he's not single-handedly responsible for it, nor is he responsible for the rise of Wishcraft.) It also opens him up to political retaliation since he isn't associated with someone of their level of influence.

-Tone down his historical importance: I find it would be easier to tone down his general appearance to the public while still making him fairly well-known in the military world. Not being associated with Wishcraft could go a long way towards his feats being known mostly through word of mouth in that regard. So people with a military background would recognize him, but the ordinary public wouldn't (unless he's in some kind of army otaku or conspiracy theory convention). That way, turning him into a boogeyman is easier because most of his operations aren't a matter of public record, but rather military record.

-Make him completely useless with modern technology: Unfortunately, if he is COMPLETELY useless with it, he wouldn't be able to keep a low to no profile in such a technologically advanced world. So we would need an alternative for that. He can't simply dodge every camera as he walks down the street.

-Regarding his powerset: Would it help if he actually became weaker in low-light situations, but not stronger in high-light situations?

-Random age change: This is actually related to his wish. I haven't revealed what it is because I intend to explore it in-character.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Of all the things I was expecting as submissions, I don't think "Literally an alternate universe Big Boss" was on it. I'm pretty sure Leon's warmech isn't a metal gear, but it couldn't hurt to check. You never know with those things.

I'm admittedly not sure where this guy fits, but the concept itself is sound. I'll approve it! Though given the nature of this guy and his particular themes and skillsets, I'd like to hear some of what you've got planned so I can work around integrating him nicely.
    In my head, I am basing NMSF general purpose gear on StarCraft terran tech, and Leon's personal daily use mech as well as the magitech he employs on protoss aesthetics.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #88

All of that would help, yes. More explicit notes on his hard light constructs would be helpful as well, specifically regarding durability.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Simply put, the constructs consume more power the larger and/or more durable they are. Granted, Hasunaga has a pretty large reserve, since he's learned to be efficient about consumption, but most of his abilities are pretty expensive in one way or another. So he can't spam Metal Gears on people or anything. (Hell, using one is seriously taxing on its own.)

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

That's cool by me, then.

Edit: What time is it in-game?