New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Expanding Tribal Feats?

The Primal Powers book adds tribal feats, which are weaker than Skill Focus if only you have them, but grant an additional boost to everyone within a moderate range who also has the same feat.

I was wondering if there's any design reason not to apply them to other skills.

The biggest impact will probably be for Arcana, Nature, and Religion, since they're used for rituals. The party (assuming a party of 5) getting a +5 on all their checks to aid the ritual could be pretty significant. Any particular reason it could be game breaking?
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-06-17 at 04:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Expanding Tribal Feats?

Well, pending any commentary, I'll add names for additional tribal feats. I'm laterally just changing the name and related skill, so I don't feel the need to move this post to separate thread in the homebrew forum.

• Acrobatics: Monkey Leap
    • Arcana: Ritualist
    • Bluff: Deceitful Coyote
    • Diplomacy: Graceful Swan
    • Dungeoneering: Guerilla Defender
    • Endurance: Trekking Bear
    • Heal: United Spirit
    • History: Legend Keeper
    • Insight: Heedful Fox
    • Nature: Gatherer's Memory
    • Religion: United Faithful
    • Streetwise: Cold Reader

I think you could also add one to saving throws against being Slowed, Immobilized, and Restrained. "Flowing River" maybe? On the other hand, these seem a lot more common than the Frightened and Charmed conditions, so it might be a lot stronger than Courageous Heart is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

You can already push skill checks pretty hard, so I don't think this will particularly break things. There's already a tribal feat for Perception, after all.
    As for saving throws and Courageous Heart, it's kind of up in the air if a given monster entry actually slaps keywords like Fear and Charm on its power, so in that sense it become very much unreliable/up to DM ruling what it applies to, while Slowed/Immobilized/Restrained are actual conditions that can be applied to the PCs. On the other hand, I suspect a lot of instances of Dominated that do occur on monster stat blocks will, in fact, have the Charm keyword, and failing saves against that is obviously a scary prospect...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    You can already push skill checks pretty hard, so I don't think this will particularly break things. There's already a tribal feat for Perception, after all.
    I feel like skill checks are already a bit broken, because if you don't push some of your non-proficient skills you can easily end up with cases where the difference in bonuses is massive, even at level 1. Proficiency plus a racial bonus plus Skill Focus is a +10 bonus before differences in ability scores are taken into account. That's the main source of my concern.

On the other hand, getting the full bonus from a tribal feat requires your party members to also take the same feat, so if anything it actually shrinks the difference in bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    As for saving throws and Courageous Heart, it's kind of up in the air if a given monster entry actually slaps keywords like Fear and Charm on its power, so in that sense it become very much unreliable/up to DM ruling what it applies to, while Slowed/Immobilized/Restrained are actual conditions that can be applied to the PCs. On the other hand, I suspect a lot of instances of Dominated that do occur on monster stat blocks will, in fact, have the Charm keyword, and failing saves against that is obviously a scary prospect...
    Now that I double check, bonuses to saving throws against powers with a particular keyword are pretty common. I thought the point of making savings throws all DC 10 was so that players would know all their bonuses without needing to consult the DM or slow down play. Okay, I guess.

I suppose that bonuses only against being Slowed/Immobilized would make more sense then, as bonuses against all three conditions would probably come up a lot more often than against fear and charm powers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know if there is one that helps with escaping grabs or not, but that might be worth looking at as an additional thing if something seems a bit weak.