New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Hmmm... That's fair enough. Guess it really is up to the DM how it works.

Still, it's not like that trick is worth it. The investment cost is far, far too high for rather it's returns. Not unless your using 4E homebrew or something... And I don't even know where to find good quality 4e homebrew.
    My current Fighter PC has Net Training(attacks slow), World Serpent's Grasp(all slowed opponents hit go prone), Dragging Flail(all proned opponents slide), and Draconic Arrogance.

Basically, do a ton of attacks, reposition opponents into burst 1 areas for the party's blasters/controllers, and I get some good damage from Draconic Arrogance. If I took Flail Expertise, I'd get to prone targets again when they slid from Dragging Flail. And get an extra +5 damage under the non-abusive ruling. And my PC has generally been really effective before I've gotten the benefit of +5 damage from Draconic Arrogance.

2. - Top - End - #392

I still think that proning an already prone enemy, or dazing an already dazed enemy is just silly. +5 damage might not seem like much, sure. But if you're applying it round after round, that extra 5 damage is going to rapidly rack up, especially if you're hitting multiple enemies at once.

Anyway. Q116

Master of Fire And Darkness: Your Lolthtouched Racial Trait normally lets you use either Cloud of Darkness or Darkfire as an Encounter power. You can use each power once per encounter.

Lolth Blessed: Any time you use an Action Point, you regain the use of your Lolthtouched racial ability during the encounter if you've used it already.

From how I read how these feats. Master of Fire And Darkness upgrades my Lolthtouched Racial Trait to allow me to use both powers once per encounter. Meanwhile, Lolth Blessed allows me to regain my Lolthtouch Racial ability if I have already used it during this encounter... does that mean if I have used Cloud of Darkness and Darkfire. Lolth Blessed allows me to recover both powers?

Q117

Redeemed Drow Epic Destiny Level 24 Class Feature. Lift Her Touch: You can expend your Lolthtouched racial power to recharge a previously expended encounter power.

If I have Master of Fire And Darkness. Does that mean I can expend Cloud of Darkness and Darkfire seperately in order to recharge previously expended encounter powers?

Q118

Radiant One lets me do +Int Fire and Radiant damage to targets I have Combat Advantedge against. If I hit an opponent that I have Combat Advantedge against that Radiant Vulnerability 10 and Vulnerability All 2. Radiant One's damage bonus is increased by 12, correct? 10 from the Radiant Damage, and 2 for the Fire Damage?

And if I'm already using a power/attack that does Fire & Radiant Damage, I only increase my damage by 12. Radiant's One's damage boost is added together before Vulnerability is applied, correct? And if the Attack does say, Cold Damage, then I don't get another +2 damage from the Cold type triggering the Vulnerability All 2, correct?

Sorry, that's kind of three questions all thrown into one.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-12-14 at 09:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

A116: Master of Fire And Darkness simply turns those two powers into independent encounter powers. Their use is no longer granted by your Llothtouched racial ability, but rather by Master of Fire And Darkness.

Your Lolthtouched racial trait normally lets you use either cloud of darkness or darkfire as an encounter power. Now cloud of darkness and darkfire are two separate encounter powers. You can use each power once per encounter.
    This makes Lolth Blessed useless. RAI I'd permit it to either recharge both, or at the very least one.

Alternatively, maybe Llothtouched and MoFAD let you use them 3 times total per encounter, if we read the "Now" clause as not removing/changing the Llothtouched-can-let-you-use-these-encounter-powers text.

A117 You no longer have a Llothtouched Racial Power. You have two independent encounter powers granted by Master of Fire and Darkness. It is unclear to me if by RAW you'd expend the (now otherwise useless) Llothtouched Racial Power encounter use to trigger this (!), or you have nothing to expend.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q119

I'm thinking of NOT allowing Aid checks for Monster Knowledge. The rules state that some skills may not be able to be Aided, subject to DM discresion. And since Monster Knowledge is "you know it or you don't," and a powerful tool for the characters if they acheive Hard DC, I'm thinking to rule against it. Is that harsh? There doesn't seem to be a RAW, or is there? Thanks.

-Dave

5. - Top - End - #395

OldWizardGuy

A119: Philosophically I wouldn't go that direction for a couple of reasons*, but from a rules standpoint you've basically called it. DM has discretion over what checks can be aided, and there's nothing in the rules that says otherwise with regards to monster knowledge checks.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    First, because it makes sense to me that at least one other person could help with a comment that jogs the main person's memory, and second because I think the game plays better when the players have more information. But that's just what's most fun for me.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Kashyyyk View Post
    Q119

I'm thinking of NOT allowing Aid checks for Monster Knowledge. The rules state that some skills may not be able to be Aided, subject to DM discresion. And since Monster Knowledge is "you know it or you don't," and a powerful tool for the characters if they acheive Hard DC, I'm thinking to rule against it. Is that harsh? There doesn't seem to be a RAW, or is there? Thanks.

-Dave
    A119: Aid Another is a standard action. If someone wants to be doing a standard action check in combat to add +2 to someone else's monster knowledge check, more power to them?
    Last edited by MwaO; 2020-05-23 at 03:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

Now that DDI isn't supported anymore, what's the easiest way to look up official e4 items, monsters, powers and the like?
    "Becoming conscious of racism does not mean you are a racist."
    ― Auliq Ice

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Iksilak View Post
    Now that DDI isn't supported anymore, what's the easiest way to look up official e4 items, monsters, powers and the like?
    4e Discord with over 1000 people. Good for answering questions.

https://discord.gg/YXRrvt

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

And also with pinned resources including the portable compendium and the offline character builder with a significantly updated CBLoader and all in one installer package.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Pixie in the Playground

Can you use it to look up monsters?
    "Becoming conscious of racism does not mean you are a racist."
    ― Auliq Ice

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iksilak View Post
    Can you use it to look up monsters?
    As briefly mentioned above, the resources list can help you get the Portable Compendium. That lets you look up very nearly everything published, so your answer is effectively "Yes". Give it a try! The more, the merrier!
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #402

You know, I never did get an answer to Q118

Q120

Do Summons that do Elemental damage receive buffs from abilities that increase elemental damage? I.E. Hell Hound does fire damage, would Firey Blood increase it's damage?

Q121

Would a Frost Weapon used as an implement be capable of changing the damage dealt by a Summon to cold damage?

Q122

Does the Rimetongue Caller PPs lv16 feature of adding a Cold Damage aura to my summons mean said summons gain the Cold keyword?

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    4e Discord with over 1000 people. Good for answering questions.

https://discord.gg/YXRrvt
    Can I have a new link? That one doesn't work anymore
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2020-07-27 at 01:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/n8GFXK

A118 It should work as you've said, but I can see someone arguing the other way as well. You definitely wouldn't get additional damage from cold for the Vulnerable All. Note that Radiant One's damage is when you deal damage, and it's extra damage- meaning that any additional damage instances, such as from Assassin's Shroud or Firewind Blade, do get the Radiant One damage again, and would ping the vulnerability again.

A120 Yes, because you are making the attack through the creature (Rules Compendium on summoning).

A121 Yes. Again, you make the attack through the creature.

A122 Unclear- expect table variation. I'd say yes, but I could see someone saying that the creature gains the feature rather than the power.

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Thank you!

Firewind Blade, do get the Radiant One damage again, and would ping the vulnerability again.
    Huh. Is that why the Firewind Blade is considered so strong? Not just because it does extra damage, but its an entire seperate damage trigger?

A120 Yes, because you are making the attack through the creature (Rules Compendium on summoning).

A121 Yes. Again, you make the attack through the creature.

A122 Unclear- expect table variation. I'd say yes, but I could see someone saying that the creature gains the feature rather than the power.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Huh. Is that why the Firewind Blade is considered so strong? Not just because it does extra damage, but its an entire seperate damage trigger?
    Yeah. Heavy blades are popular, the crit effect is good, the daily power is a decent ribbon, but it's only the separate damage that makes it special.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q123

Should I allow a power that I use and that says "target ally" to target myself instead? In other words, am I an ally of myself for this purpose?
    Post if you wish to ask about Ruins & Raiders. I do not answer to PMs anymore.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

A 123

No. Other powers do specifically reference "yourself" as a valid target instead of (or in addition to) allies, so the lack of that language makes the intention clear.

Going beyond RAW and into opinion, I'd also say that most beneficial abilities should only target other people because that drives home the team-oriented nature of 4e play.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    A 123

No. Other powers do specifically reference "yourself" as a valid target instead of (or in addition to) allies, so the lack of that language makes the intention clear.

Going beyond RAW and into opinion, I'd also say that most beneficial abilities should only target other people because that drives home the team-oriented nature of 4e play.
    And what if, hypothetically, you organized a 1v1 4th edition PvP event? Wouldn't that made every class much more balanced and that event a possibility if every class could target themselves with a "target ally" power?

Q124
    If a power makes an enemy attack another enemy and there are no other enemies left, does the enemy attack itself?
    Post if you wish to ask about Ruins & Raiders. I do not answer to PMs anymore.

19. - Top - End - #409

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ARTHAN View Post
    Q124
    If a power makes an enemy attack another enemy and there are no other enemies left, does the enemy attack itself?
    A124
    If worded as "another enemy" or similar, no. If worded as "the target attacks an enemy" or similar without relevant qualifiers, then you can have it attack itself regardless of whether or not other enemies are around.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ARTHAN View Post
    And what if, hypothetically, you organized a 1v1 4th edition PvP event? Wouldn't that made every class much more balanced ...
    If you try to use 4e for PvP ... well, to quote my dad, "On thy fool head be it, mortal." It's not made for it and it doesn't work well (especially one-against-one), and good god no it's not balanced. Stealth is disproportionately strong, strikers can nova anything to death in a round, and builds that would work poorly in regular play suddenly become ideal.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q 125

Clarify Charge for me please. I know the target must be visible to be selected. "Target" I presume is defined as a creature, and not a square. Then the charging creature must move toward the target, always moving toward the target. And must move at least 10 feet and end it's charge at least 10ft from it's starting position.

If the charging creature moves toward it's target, and a rogue (target) has an interrupt that it can then shift away, I believe the RAW means that the charging creature can still continue to pursue that target (if it has move speed remaining), so long as it abides by the above stipulations for charge. Always moving toward it's target, and not moving back near it's starting space. Is this correct?

That is...the charging creature is not locked into "the space that it first charged to."

Thanks, just wanted verification.

-Dave

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

A 125

Depends on the interrupt. If the trigger condition were, say, "A creature ends its movement adjacent to you" then the rogue's interrupt could prevent the charge. But if the interrupt condition were instead "A creature enters a square adjacent to you", the move portion of the charge hasn't terminated and could continue after the rogue moves. (Even then, the rogue's particular movement might make the charge impossible -- e.g. by ending up in or near the charger's origin square.)

EDIT: In any case, you're right that the charger isn't locked into a certain target location or route.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-11-04 at 05:44 PM.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Q126

Does Vampirism feat remove a character's bonus surges-per-day from Constitution?

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #414

OldWizardGuy

A 126
    No. The feat specifies that it reduces the number of healing surges granted by your class to 2. The rules compendium states that an adventurer's class and Constitution determine the number of healing surges they can use in a day. Surges from Constitution are clearly a separate source from surges granted by your class.

25. - Top - End - #415

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    A 126
    No. The feat specifies that it reduces the number of healing surges granted by your class to 2. The rules compendium states that an adventurer's class and Constitution determine the number of healing surges they can use in a day. Surges from Constitution are clearly a separate source from surges granted by your class.
    Not exactly. Each class except for Vampire has a number of surges listed in their class description saying X surges+Con mod. Vampirism sets that number to 2, not 2+Con mod.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 127

Are there rules for psionic class templates for monsters? Do they get to replace the first at-will power as they level up? How many power points do they get? That kind of thing.

27. - Top - End - #417

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Q 127

Are there rules for psionic class templates for monsters? Do they get to replace the first at-will power as they level up? How many power points do they get? That kind of thing.
    A 127
    To the best of my knowledge, no. With that said, there's no need to strictly follow rules when building monsters. I would probably give them one at-will power of their level or lower, enough power points to use the fully powered version of that power once (encounter power equivalent), a daily, and a utility. At 21st+ I'd give them two at-wills, enough PP to fully power each of them once, etc.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q128

If a creature with flying, like a helmed horror, is pushed over a cliff, and fails his save to fall prone at the edge, is he "crashing?" That is, does he fall the entire distance to the bottom (60ft)? I ruled that the case...he fell the first 30ft safely (Fly speed 6), and then fell the remaining 30ft and took damage as he hit the ground. Is this correct?

Q129

If a creature with Reach2 is not adjacent to a monk with a fire aura 1, but attacks through the space with a tentacle, does the creature still take the damage from this aura? I ruled yes, even thought the "body" of the creature did not enter the aura.

Q130

If a rogue is slowed, can he still use a power like "through the shadows" to shift his charisma bonus around the battlefield 4-5 squares or so? The wording for slowed mentions something about "powers may still be used to move more than a slowed speed," but it also mentions bonuses to speed cannot be applied.

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by Kashyyyk View Post
    Q128

If a creature with flying, like a helmed horror, is pushed over a cliff, and fails his save to fall prone at the edge, is he "crashing?" That is, does he fall the entire distance to the bottom (60ft)? I ruled that the case...he fell the first 30ft safely (Fly speed 6), and then fell the remaining 30ft and took damage as he hit the ground. Is this correct?
    Were they flying before they were pushed? If they were flying they don't fall prone - they just get pushed and fly over the edge. If they were on the ground then RAW they fall the entire distance, but ruling they open their wings and take partial damage going down is a decent ruling.

Q129

If a creature with Reach2 is not adjacent to a monk with a fire aura 1, but attacks through the space with a tentacle, does the creature still take the damage from this aura? I ruled yes, even thought the "body" of the creature did not enter the aura.
    RAW: The creature is out of reach. I'd still be happy with your ruling.

Q130

If a rogue is slowed, can he still use a power like "through the shadows" to shift his charisma bonus around the battlefield 4-5 squares or so? The wording for slowed mentions something about "powers may still be used to move more than a slowed speed," but it also mentions bonuses to speed cannot be applied.
    Yes. If you're slowed your speed is 2 - but any powers that add to that or that simply don't reference your speed work as expected.
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist

30. - Top - End - #420

Q131
    Is there an effect where you could, multiple times per extended rest, reliably turn your close blasts/bursts powers into ranged area bursts?
    ED: I'm not thinking of the Spellguard Wizard from the FRPG. That's ranged bursts to blasts. Other way around.

Q132
    Is there a way for a non-Warlock to be able to gain multiple uses of Warlock's Curse in an encounter without Hybrid-classing? Meaning, Student of Malediction isn't going to cut it unless there's some effect I don't know of that can subvert the restriction

EDIT: I asked a couple of these questions a few years ago, lol
    Last edited by Deathtongue; 2021-08-16 at 05:06 PM.