New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    If Mark of Warding were less fantastic of a feat otherwise, I'd recommend asking your DM if he'd allow it -- as a conditional +1 to defenses is not even a very powerful feat. But the real meat of the feat is enhancing your mark penalty from -2 to -3, and that's already incredibly powerful, before the secondary bonuses are involved.

It's still maybe worth asking, if your DM is often generous with readings -- but Aleph is correct in terms of the rules as they're written.
    turns out my DM is generous with the readings, but thanks for the literal interpretation

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A10

Not completely ineffective, but certainly not nearly as good as if it had a duration until the end of his next turn. The daze causes an enemy to grant CA until his turn starts, so you can use it to set up allies to take advantage of that fact. It can also get in the way if you suspect an enemy has some sort of off-turn movement (like if you think it has readied a charge or has a special power).
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2016-03-21 at 07:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    A10

Not completely ineffective, but certainly not nearly as good as if it had a duration until the end of his next turn. The daze causes an enemy to grant CA until his turn starts, so you can use it to set up allies to take advantage of that fact. It can also get in the way if you suspect an enemy has some sort of off-turn movement (like if you think it has readied a charge or has a special power).
    Ahhhh, hadn't thought about 'off-turn' effects. Thanks! The slow effect seems weird though, given that 'off-turn' logic.
    Last edited by matrix_machine; 2016-03-21 at 07:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

A10

Nothing; you're totally right and they goofed. No erratas, either, and I checked the magazine to make sure the Compendium didn't have a mistake. It's just ridiculously bad.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Q11

What is the difference of Revenant's Past Soul and Genasi Soul feats? Usually race specific feats tend to be stronger. Am I missing something?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

A 11

There's no feat called "Genasi Soul", and there's no feat specific for revenant genasi. Clarify your question, please?

As for the non-RAW part of the question, well, revenants have the potent and highly optimizable ability to stay active when other creatures would be bleeding out, and Past Soul feat lets you build a character who has that and something else potent and highly optimizable. And if you're building for flavor rather than optimization, Past Soul can be absolutely central, a "sine qua non" part of the build.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ice4cow View Post
    Q11

What is the difference of Revenant's Past Soul and Genasi Soul feats? Usually race specific feats tend to be stronger. Am I missing something?
    Those feats are basically the same. "Genasi Soul" feat appeared in dragon mag 376 when wotc first introduced revenant... then in hero of shadow, wotc decided to rewrite the racial feats as Past Soul...

8. - Top - End - #38

It's important to note that the Revenant Genasi feat "Past Soul" does NOT give you the manifestation, only the power.

That's important, because Genasi have several feats that make them incredibly powerful, most prominently Shocking Flame, which gives Genasi the potential to add lightning damage or fire damage to all attacks at level 11 (with the appropriate soul) and both in Epic. Past Soul doesn't give the manifestation, so Shocking Flame doesn't work with it.

9. - Top - End - #39

Q12
    Does an ability that deals damage, but doesn't have an attack roll (like a Fire Elemental's Seething Fire) trigger effects that punish attacks (like Pacifism, or mark violation).

I would think not, but would like assurance.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Q12
    Does an ability that deals damage, but doesn't have an attack roll (like a Fire Elemental's Seething Fire) trigger effects that punish attacks (like Pacifism, or mark violation).
    It depends.

Attack is defined explicitly as "An attack roll and its effects, including any damage rolls. The word “attack” is sometimes used as shorthand for “attack power.” Some attack powers include multiple attacks, and some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target)."

By RAW, I believe that Seething Fire wouldn't qualify as an attack because it doesn't have an explicit target (which is the requirement indicated by the magic missile exception) and wouldn't be prevented by Rune of Pacifism or trigger marked retribution effects. Other powers, like magic missile, don't have an attack roll but still qualify as attacks because they have a target.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Q13

How does jumping away from someone works?
    As i understand from RAW, opportunity attack resolves when jumping creature lands. But in more extreme cases this doesn't really make sense, as, for example, tri-kreens can easily jump 5 squares. Any ideas to make it better suited?

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by ice4cow View Post
    Q13

How does jumping away from someone works?
    As i understand from RAW, opportunity attack resolves when jumping creature lands. But in more extreme cases this doesn't really make sense, as, for example, tri-kreens can easily jump 5 squares. Any ideas to make it better suited?
    Opportunity attacks happen when someone leaves a square next to you without doing a few specific things. Jumping isn't one of those specific things, so...

13. - Top - End - #43

Q14

Can Combat Challenge and Opportunity Attacks be used with Dream Walker's Dream Form? (note- I know that the answer to the latter is "no" prior to the printing of Opportunity Attack as an actual power, but it appears that way in the RC).

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Q14

Can Combat Challenge and Opportunity Attacks be used with Dream Walker's Dream Form? (note- I know that the answer to the latter is "no" prior to the printing of Opportunity Attack as an actual power, but it appears that way in the RC).
    You can use powers as if you were there. You are not actually there. i.e. you are not adjacent to the target.

Speaking sadly as someone who played this build and could have easily swapped out for a couple of obvious choices...
    Last edited by MwaO; 2016-05-03 at 08:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Q15 Does War Wizard of Cormyr's Arcane Fundamentals require a power that has a target line of "one creature" (e.g. Erupting Flare, Phantom Bolt), or can it apply to a power that has a target line like "one or two creatures" (e.g. Arc Lightning, Unraveling Dart)?

16. - Top - End - #46

Q15 Does War Wizard of Cormyr's Arcane Fundamentals require a power that has a target line of "one creature" (e.g. Erupting Flare, Phantom Bolt), or can it apply to a power that has a target line like "one or two creatures" (e.g. Arc Lightning, Unraveling Dart)?
    While you can choose to use those powers on one creature, at the time of the selection of the power, it needs to always be just one creature.

17. - Top - End - #47

Q16: Other than being an Assassin, is there a way to regain a Shadar-Kai's Shadow Jaunt on a per encounter basis?
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2016-05-25 at 11:24 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Q16: Other than being an Assassin, is there a way to regain a Shadar-Kai's Shadow Jaunt on a per encounter basis?
    Not aware of one off-hand, but Cloak of Transposition will let you do it as a daily.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q17
    Is there a magic weapon or ki focus that changes damage types to poison?

In the same way sunblade does for radiant

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Yomega View Post
    Q17
    Is there a magic weapon or ki focus that changes damage types to poison?

In the same way sunblade does for radiant
    Spiderkissed and Mordant weapons do that.

Just be aware, having damage be poison creates some issues with immunity to poison, which is reasonably common. Venom Hand Master resolves that. Venom Hand Assassin is a good bonus damage feat if you get that. And Skulker of Vhaeraun is essentially Sarifal Feywalker for Drow poison wielders.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Spiderkissed and Mordant weapons do that.

Just be aware, having damage be poison creates some issues with immunity to poison, which is reasonably common. Venom Hand Master resolves that. Venom Hand Assassin is a good bonus damage feat if you get that. And Skulker of Vhaeraun is essentially Sarifal Feywalker for Drow poison wielders.
    Only sort of. It requires Weapon attacks, which is a bit of a drag for a number of characters, particularly actual Assassins.

22. - Top - End - #52

Only sort of. It requires Weapon attacks, which is a bit of a drag for a number of characters, particularly actual Assassins.
    Mordant and Spiderkissed Weapons use the exact same language as Sunblades for their damage modification:

"All damage dealt by this weapon is XXX damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal."

If you're capable of using the weapon as an implement (swordmage multiclass), even your implement attacks would be able to do poison damage since you're still using that weapon (just as an implement).

Also, point of interest about the Mordant Weapon: it doesn't just turn it into poison damage; it turns it into poison and acid damage, making it much more difficult to resist (I can't think of any creature off of the top of my head that resists both of those damage types simultaneously, which would make it effectively unresisted). I'm not entirely sure how that would interact with immunity though, since I could only find the rules for combined damage types interacting with resistance. My gut instinct would be to act as if immunity is simply infinite resistance such that only a creature immune to both acid and poison damage is immune to combined acid and poison damage, but that might not be the case.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    Mordant and Spiderkissed Weapons use the exact same language as Sunblades for their damage modification:

"All damage dealt by this weapon is XXX damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal."

If you're capable of using the weapon as an implement (swordmage multiclass), even your implement attacks would be able to do poison damage since you're still using that weapon (just as an implement).
    The issue is Skulker of Vhaeraun - its special ability only works on weapon attacks. But it also isn't limited to a 2 square aura - works at range with a Spiderkissed Dagger as an example. When the damage bonus gets high enough, the extra +1 to hit from +3 proficiency often makes up for the low die size...

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    The issue is Skulker of Vhaeraun - its special ability only works on weapon attacks.
    I was responding to the issue of poison immunity, however. If you use a Mordant Weapon, because it's giving you combined poison and acid damage on all of your weapon attacks (if you take Heart of the Blade, also your implement attacks), the issue of poison immunity being so common is irrelevant because poison immunity isn't, as far as I know, ever paired with acid resistance or immunity. You don't need to worry about stuff being immune to poison if you are also hitting things with acid.

The only time you'll have problems is in cases where you're specifically adding poison damage rather than bonus damage to poison attacks, but I wasn't aware that the questioner ever mentioned that.

25. - Top - End - #55

Q18 Does anyone know whether an official ruling on the Familiar Mount ritual was every made- specifically whether it works like a Shaman's Spirit Companion, or whether it's 5 + 1/2 level damage over the course of its being a mount? I know that the Mount guide says (based on CustServ) that it's the latter, and the Familiar guide that it's the former.

Q19 Similarly, anyone know if an official ruling was ever made about the familiar wearing a Mount item?

Q20 Ignoring both of the above, is there any reasonable way for a generic (non-Beastmaster) Medium-sized PC to get a mount that scales with level?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q21

A warlock that has Pact Blade Manifestation uses his implement (held in one hand) to create his pact weapon (in the other hand). If such a warlock took Arcane Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blade and wielded a bastard sword as an implement... Would the pact blade be wielded as a one-handed weapon in the off-hand? It seems unclear whether it would be an exception to the general rule (like the ranger two-blade style) or if it would simply be illegal.
    The Battle Magician

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature." I started my first campaign with a mercenary general investigating each member as individuals and then bringing them together as a team. Kind of like Nick Fury and the Avengers, except with magic and a distinct lack of heroism in favor of deeper, more intricately (and coherently) woven character lore.

27. - Top - End - #57

A21

It's a little bit fuzzy because of the dual keywords on Hexblade powers (which is really what you're talking about, right?), but the answer would be that you are "holding" your implement (i.e. your bastard sword) in one hand and "wielding" your Pact Weapon (whatever the appropriate variety is) in your other hand. But if you had a Weapon power that attacked with separate attacks from both hands, it would be a problem.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

A21

It's a little bit fuzzy because of the dual keywords on Hexblade powers (which is really what you're talking about, right?), but the answer would be that you are "holding" your implement (i.e. your bastard sword) in one hand and "wielding" your Pact Weapon (whatever the appropriate variety is) in your other hand. But if you had a Weapon power that attacked with separate attacks from both hands, it would be a problem.
    Actually, I was asking because of a half-elf warlock with pact blade manifestation grabbing twin strike. I don't think it will work, but I'm curious if my player would be allowed to do this without me using fiat.

Q22

A revenant bard with multiple multiclass feats takes the Remembered Knack feat... What happens, exactly?
    Last edited by Devigor; 2016-06-20 at 05:20 PM.
    The Battle Magician

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature." I started my first campaign with a mercenary general investigating each member as individuals and then bringing them together as a team. Kind of like Nick Fury and the Avengers, except with magic and a distinct lack of heroism in favor of deeper, more intricately (and coherently) woven character lore.

29. - Top - End - #59

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devigor View Post
    Q22

A revenant bard with multiple multiclass feats takes the Remembered Knack feat... What happens, exactly?
    A22

Pick one of your multiclass feats. The Remembered Knack feat gives you an additional skill from the class associated with that multiclass feat, and the extra +2 bonus applies to the skill granted by that multiclass feat. It's worth noting that a similar scenario can easily occur even without being a Bard, since you can take multiple multiclass feats from the same class.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Devigor View Post
    Would the pact blade be wielded as a one-handed weapon in the off-hand?
    No. In much the same way that you can wield a staff implement in one hand but treat a quarterstaff weapon as a two handed weapon, you wouldn't be able to use a bastard sword implement in your off-hand as if it had the off-hand keyword. In such a case, the character would be carrying their bastard sword in their off-hand, using it as an implement but incapable of using it as a weapon.