New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

The text of the Rune Master feature happens to restate the description of the runic keyword, but the feature is not needed to benefit from the keyword. All that Rune Master does is put you into a rune state. The powers' runic choices function whether or not you are in a rune state, since the keyword is described elsewhere in the same book. (Sorry, couldn't say where, AFB at the moment.)
    Last edited by Dimers; 2017-08-28 at 04:04 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The text of the Rune Master feature happens to restate the description of the runic keyword, but the feature is not needed to benefit from the keyword. All that Rune Master does is put you into a rune state. The powers' runic choices function whether or not you are in a rune state, since the keyword is described elsewhere in the same book. (Sorry, couldn't say where, AFB at the moment.)
    Yup, that's correct, my mistake. You don't get the +1 to hit option of Runemaster or resist damage while allies adjacent to you.

3. - Top - End - #213

Q60: If I make an attack that doesn't do damage and roll a crit, do I add the bonus damage from feats/enhancement?
    Example: I have a +1 holy symbol and roll a critical hit with Command power, which deals no damage. Should I add +1d6?
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2017-11-02 at 03:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Q60: If I make an attack that doesn't do damage and roll a crit, do I add the bonus damage from feats/enhancement?
    Example: I have a +1 holy symbol and roll a critical hit with Command power, which deals no damage. Should I add +1d6?
    A60:

A) Bonus damage is (almost?) always in addition to a damage roll, so no go there.
    B) Extra damage (which is what Critical bonuses are) is always in addition to other damage. It doesn't require a damage roll, so a power that deals a flat amount rather than having a damage roll gets the extra crit damage added to it, but it can't add to no damage.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

No, powers that don't deal damage don't deal damage on a critical hit from implements or weapons.

6. - Top - End - #216

But do they apply other critical effects beside damage (like conditions)? Thank you.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2017-11-03 at 09:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Q 61

If someone MC’s Monk, how often are they able to use the Movement part of the Full Discipline action? The CharBuilder says it’s at-will, but that feels like a glitch. Does it become a 1 use encounter, an encounter power that you can use until you use a different Full Discipline movement or standard move option, or is it actually at-will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 61: Both the movement and non-movement part of a Full Discipline power share the same use frequency and reuse. If you use one, you can also use the other in the same round. If you use either, the other is expended.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

But do they apply other critical effects beside damage (like conditions)? Thank you.
    Yes. A weapon or implement that has condition criticals will kick in even when there was no damage. Though if it does extra damage and a condition, only the condition would apply.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Q 62

"Sling", "crossbow", "mace". Each is the name of a weapon group. Each is also the name of a type of weapon in that group. Has there ever been an official clarification about when to use each meaning?

For example, can a rogue Sneak Attack with a dejada, a member of the "sling" group?

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

A62: I have yet to see or even hear of any such clarification. What appears to be the case is that "the weapon" refers to the specific type while "a weapon" allows the entire group. Compare "proficiency with the sling" to "proficiency with slings."
    For your example, by a strict reading, sneak attack is allowed when making an attack with "a sling", and the dejada is clearly "a sling", being in the sling weapon group. Otherwise, rogues would not be able to sneak attack with daggers, either.

Incidentally, Ruthless Ruffian allows THE club and THE mace for sneak attacks, but A club or A mace for Str-to-dmg on Rattling attacks.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Q63

Specific instance, but the question in general is, if something in all other ways qualifies as something that bonus damage could be applied to by item or feat text, but does not, on its own, deal damage, does it get bonus damage? Specific instance here being Resplendent Gloves and Maze of Mirrors. Maze of mirrors is an illusion power that targets will, but only enacts penalties, doing no damage. Resplendent gloves say "When you hit with an attack power that targets will, the attack deals X extra damage". Would the attack damage the target?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

A63
    Per the rules on extra damage
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Damage
    Many powers and other effects grant the ability to deal extra damage. Extra damage is always in addition to other damage and is of the same type or types as that damage, unless otherwise noted. Because of this rule, an effect that deals no damage cannot deal extra damage. However, a power doesn't necessarily have to hit a target to deal extra damage—it needs only to deal damage to the target.
    (emphasis mine)

You need to deal damage to deal extra damage.
    Rules Compendium 233
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2017-12-14 at 01:48 PM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q64

Can a creature with phasing end its turn inside a wall?

I have always assumed the way phasing was phrased means that it can't end its turn inside of a wall, but when I went to look up the actual definition things got a bit murky.

Phasing says it "must end its movement in an unoccupied space." (Rules Compendium, p314)

But when I looked up Occupied Square in the Compendium, it says "A creature occupies all the squares of its space," and nothing more. This seems to imply that only creatures can occupy a square, and on the battlemap a square is a space, so a wall is not an occupied space on its own. This seems weird to me, and makes phasing a lot more dangerous.

Page 204 of the Rules Compendium does say about phasing (under Movement Related Traits): "The creature follows the normal rules for where it must end its movement (normally an unoccupied space)." The mention of "normal rules" does seem to imply you cannot end your turn in a wall.

Have I been doing phasing wrong all these years?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

A 64

RC 317 defines 'unoccupied square' as "A square that is neither occupied by a creature nor filled by an object." Though to be more complete, effects can sometimes occupy squares as well, such as some conjurations.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #226
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 65

When a Runepriest uses Rune of the Undeniable Dawn (PHB3, p. 102), it's close burst 3, and "The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn" but "Sustain Minor: The Zone persists."

If a Runepriest moves, does the zone continue to be burst 3 around them, or does the zone create a static 7x7 zone on the battlefield?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

A65: it would create a static 7x7 Zone. A zone that moved with you would include the verbage "centered on you"

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #228

Q 66.
    Magic Circle and Undead Ward. Do both these rituals block only normal movement, or do the rituals also block passage "infinitely" below and above the circle? The ritual description doesn't say anything about it, so I guess it's up to DM interpretation and judgment?
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2018-01-06 at 01:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

In previous editions the spell was usually treated as an orb of protection. If I recall correctly.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, no definition of the word "circle" or "line", and no further info in the glossary entries for Rituals. Looks like it's up to the DM.

Spoiler: opinion
    Show
    Me, I'd go with a cone shape, with height about five times the circle radius, and the effect would end at the ground but make the ground warded. For the line version, I'd say the barrier goes about half the line length, above and below even if that penetrates the earth -- lines are different from circles, magically speaking.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q67. Does Two-Blade Warrior [Multiclass Ranger] feat qualify a character for ranger Paragon Path that requires the Two-Blade Fighting Style?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #232

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q67. Does Two-Blade Warrior [Multiclass Ranger] feat qualify a character for ranger Paragon Path that requires the Two-Blade Fighting Style?
    A67.
    No. It would need to explicitly grant the Two-Blade Fighting Style class feature of the Ranger. Instead, it grants the main benefit of that feature without actually giving you the class feature.

23. - Top - End - #233

DruidGuy

Q68: A dwarf cleric w/ Dwarven Weapon Training has an Urgrosh with Bradaman's Weapon enchantment. If he casts Lance of Faith using the Bradaman's Urgrosh as his implement, does the power get the +2 damage from Dwarven Weapon Training?

For reference,
    • DWT: "You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers."
    • Urgrosh is a superior axe (and spear).
    • Bradaman's Weapon has "Property: Divine characters can use this weapon as a holy symbol implement for divine powers."
    • Lance of Faith has the Implement keyword.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Gwic View Post
    Q68: A dwarf cleric w/ Dwarven Weapon Training has an Urgrosh with Bradaman's Weapon enchantment. If he casts Lance of Faith using the Bradaman's Urgrosh as his implement, does the power get the +2 damage from Dwarven Weapon Training?

For reference,
    • DWT: "You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers."
    • Urgrosh is a superior axe (and spear).
    • Bradaman's Weapon has "Property: Divine characters can use this weapon as a holy symbol implement for divine powers."
    • Lance of Faith has the Implement keyword.
    Yes that works
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

25. - Top - End - #235

Q69: How does Ring of Giants ("Gain a +2 bonus to critical hit damage per enhancement bonus of the weapon you wield.") interact with a weapon attack where you're using a ki focus? Does it add +2/enhancement bonus of the weapon itself or of the ki focus?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

A 69

RAW, just the weapon itself. "If you have both a magic ki focus and a magic weapon, you choose before you use an attack power whether to draw on the magic of the ki focus or that of the weapon. Your choice determines which enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, and magic item properties and powers you can apply to that power." It doesn't say the choice applies for all purposes.

Rules As Interpreted: sure, either one, why the hell not.

My quote brings up an interesting idea, though. The choice seems to be an option regardless of whether you use a weapon attack power ...
    Last edited by Dimers; 2018-03-11 at 05:56 PM.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #237

Q70a

If you're using a Dagger or Staff as an implement, can a Ranger's Rapid Shot attack be used with an Elementalist's Elemental Bolt? (Before someone says

Q70b

If the answer to question (a) is yes, can Elemental Escalation be used to target an enemy in the original "burst" a second time? If you need a diagram, consider:

XXX
    ATB
    XXX
    XCX

Where A and B are enemies, T is the target square for Rapid Shot, and you are C. i.e. You would make your attack against A, then your attack against B and use Elemental Escalation to target A in the attack against B.

Q70c

Can a level 1 Ranger at will from a Half Elf's Dilettante/Versatile Master be swapped out for Rapid Shot using Archery Mastery? (note- a and b are still relevant via Paragon Multiclassing, this is just an alternative method to grab Rapid Shot)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

A70A: Yes, it just requires you to make a RBA with a weapon (which staff and dagger both are)
    A70B: Yes
    A70C: Technically by RAW you don't need Versatile Master, though the group I play in rules that you do.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q71

A party consisting of four level eight characters and one level seven are awarded xp for six fights. The level seven character only needs 100xp to level up. Should the DM award bonus xp to the level seven character for all of the fights (as he fought them all at one level lower than the rest) or just the first one and then normal xp for the other four fights (as if he was the same level)?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

A71: I don't think there is anything RAW for this scenario. But I would rule that DM should award higher XP amount for the lower-level character (1) because the PC hadn't leveled yet & didn't have the benefit of new abilities, etc. and (2) because thus will lower the XP gap between said PC and the rest of the party, which needlessly complicates play, as your example demonstrates.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.